PDA

View Full Version : T4: TIMELINE... medieval or modern?

TheJoe
11th May 2009, 15:51
I heard the original plans for Thief 4 were to bring it into modern day because "steampunk was over".

STEAMPUNK IS NOT OVER

Don't go messing this up with that modern take, Thief isn't Thief if it's not in that setting, that's the whole point of the series. If it's the modern day like you planned it is Splinter Cell. I'm bitter enough about this game but if it goes and ruins my favourite series like that I won't be happy. While you're still in the early stages please think about this.

And don't rush it either... Too many game devs are rushing through their projects leaving them buggy and without any coherent story.

vorob_
11th May 2009, 15:52
Also don't kill shadows, don't put any regeneration crap...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 15:54
The original plan to design Thief around a modern setting was Ion Storm's, before they folded and not EM's.

Any suggestions for a modern theme is mere rumour and speculation by the community.

TheJoe
11th May 2009, 15:57
Yes. But someone at EM can stand up and say "let's modernise it like those other guys thought of". It's been done before.

Thievingtaffer
11th May 2009, 16:09
I think we're safe guys. At least I hope. Steampunk it shall remain.

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
11th May 2009, 16:12
Yes. But someone at EM can stand up and say "let's modernise it like those other guys thought of". It's been done before.

Hey, seems they already have some brilliant ideas. "Let's ditch Garrett in favour of his female version with huge breasts so that teenagers will buy this game day one".

TheJoe
11th May 2009, 16:16
Hey, seems they already have some brilliant ideas. "Let's ditch Garrett in favour of his female version with huge breasts so that teenagers will buy this game day one".

Yeah too many game devs are doing that too. It's all that matters now. "No, kids don't want STORIES they want TITS! They don't want GOOD GAMES they want TITS! They don't want a game to MAKE SENSE they want TITS. And a bit of BLOOD. A load of ACTION. And a first person SHOOTER."

Pah. Let's go back to the 90s when games were good.

Smiffydude
11th May 2009, 16:17
Please make sure it stays in its original game world. I don't want to play a skinny chav in a Lacoste tracksuit and Burberry baseball cap breaking into a car and stealing its stereo, which is what modern day thieves do.

Smiffydude
11th May 2009, 16:19
Don't pander to dumb console tards!

TheJoe
11th May 2009, 16:20
Oh and remember - all good games today have an ingame console.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 16:20

I see. Well, hopefully, the EM devs will not fall to the general whims of manfools. :cool:

:D

Garrett Vega
11th May 2009, 16:21
I'm actually happy that Ion Storm died. Their modern thief remake idea was BS to say the least.

HellKittyDan
11th May 2009, 16:57
I don't think they'd go modern at all, but if for some reason they did, this is about as "modern" as I'd like it to go:

http://www.oldukphotos.com/graphics/England%20Photos/London,%20Victoria%20Railway%20Station%20III%201910%27s.jpg

Buccura
11th May 2009, 18:04
While I am by all means a big time fan of the series I will be open to any new ideas Eidos Montreal wants to do with this 4th entry, and am sure that it will be quite enjoyable, as will Deus Ex 3. I only ask one something thing.

For the love of all that is holy please don't go with the old concept of making Thief 4 in a modern setting.

Nate
11th May 2009, 18:09
Hehe, they can call the game 'Splinter Thief!'

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 18:13
Modernized? Bah.

"Thi4f"

Thee pur manifesto ov FUTURIZM!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 18:24
I don't think they'd go modern at all, but if for some reason they did, this is about as "modern" as I'd like it to go:

http://www.oldukphotos.com/graphics/England%20Photos/London,%20Victoria%20Railway%20Station%20III%201910%27s.jpg

Still too modern for me. :( I really want Thief to remain medieval.

TheJoe
11th May 2009, 18:34
But was it really medieval in the first place? No. It was STEAMPUNK. Meaning old 'n' new. It didn't seem medieval to me, nor Victoran or anything - it was as pure as Steampunk can be.

Thievingtaffer
11th May 2009, 18:37
Steampunk (as I see it) = Medieval + Victorian

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 18:38
Yes, the whole "medieval" thing is a fallacy. There were no more medieval elements to Thief than, say, renaissance elements.

HellKittyDan
11th May 2009, 18:42
Thief was always pretty light on the steampunk stuff. It definitely wasn't pure steampunk, it was medieval/victorian with a light touch of steampunk. The heaviest it got were the Mechanist creations in 2.

Hell, the picture I posted is more the era you find steampunk stories in.

Steampunk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk)

I associate the setting with unusual gadgetry more than anything else.

Has anyone seen The Mutant Chronicles (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0490181/)? It's got a modernish steampunk thing going on. The ship they fly in in the film,that is pure steampunk.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 19:36
Yes of course, Thief is general steampunk, but not pure steampunk. And for the sake of comparison and the question 'medieval or modern?' it fits.
Besides, all those m's sound nice... mmmmm? :D

In Thief's case, I would say the medieval elements are more obvious than the suggestion of victorian. The game is set in a surreal medieval world and the weaponry is medieval.

GmanPro
11th May 2009, 20:15
Yeah too many game devs are doing that too. It's all that matters now. "No, kids don't want STORIES they want TITS! They don't want GOOD GAMES they want TITS! They don't want a game to MAKE SENSE they want TITS. And a bit of BLOOD. A load of ACTION. And a first person SHOOTER."

Pah. Let's go back to the 90s when games were good.

I'll get my time machine

Don't pander to dumb console tards!

Seconded

Yes, the whole "medieval" thing is a fallacy. There were no more medieval elements to Thief than, say, renaissance elements.

Thief had its own unique setting. And it doesn't need to be changed.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 20:23
Thief had its own unique setting. And it doesn't need to be changed.

Agreed. :thumb:

Orest Reinn
11th May 2009, 20:30
I define steampunk as an industry revolution in medieval age.

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 20:37
You all have some very weird definitions of steampunk :/

I suspect the reason might be because Thief was your first exposition to the concept?

Blue Sky
11th May 2009, 20:41
I think Deadly Shadows was far too generic medieval in its look, rather than the major hotchpotch of medieval, Victorian, Edwardian, Art Deco, and fantasy which the original two games had the look of.

Remember that The City is completely fantastical and not set on historic Earth. It must retain that anachronistic quality of having heavy industrial and electrical machinery mixing with stone walls and bare flaming torches; the realistic details of toilets and sewers whilst also having caves and monsters and undead. Sorcery and religion and class divides. Thief 1 & 2 created such a richly detailed, highly complex world sourced from so many familiar historical and fantastical elements, and it would be incredible if Thi4f could live up to that.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 20:43
I think Deadly Shadows was far too generic medieval in its look, rather than the major hotchpotch of medieval, Victorian, Edwardian, Art Deco, and fantasy which the original two games had the look of.

Remember that The City is completely fantastical and not set on historic Earth. It must retain that anachronistic quality of having heavy industrial and electrical machinery mixing with stone walls and bare flaming torches; the realistic details of toilets and sewers whilst also having caves and monsters and undead. Sorcery and religion and class divides. Thief 1 & 2 created such a richly detailed, highly complex world sourced from so many familiar historical and fantastical elements, and it would be incredible if Thi4f could live up to that.

QFT. :cool:

Vgmwst7
11th May 2009, 20:43
Fantastic news that a thief4 is under way, but do not ruin it by setting it in modern times. The first three thief games are set it a pseudo medieval world which is what most people loved about them.

Lord Tony
11th May 2009, 20:44
I just want to make this clear so I want to know what I am buying. Will Thief 4 be set in the modern or medieval ages?

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 20:47

And then there's the Cradle, which mimics a victorian asylum but is supposed to be one of the oldest buildings in the City. Go figure. :rasp:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 20:48
I just want to make this clear so I want to know what I am buying. Will Thief 4 be set in the modern or medieval ages?

EM have not confirmed any information regarding timeline at the moment.
The original plan to design another Thief around a modern setting was Ion Storm's, before their demise.

DarthEnder
11th May 2009, 21:03
Yeah too many game devs are doing that too. It's all that matters now. "No, kids don't want STORIES they want TITS! They don't want GOOD GAMES they want TITS! They don't want a game to MAKE SENSE they want TITS. And a bit of BLOOD. A load of ACTION. And a first person SHOOTER."I want stories and good games.

And also tits.

Watcheratthegatesofdusk
11th May 2009, 21:21
The aesthetics of the games has already been defined, changing them would not make much sense as it highly popular and logic to the story/world itself. I doubt there will be much difference within the lifetime of Garrett (I guess it depends on which factions dominates society/area(s) of the setting.

Wazootyman
11th May 2009, 22:05
Everything that needs to be said regarding this topic has already been said, and I KNOW we're all on the same page here, so I'm just going to throw in my support; keep it Thief, and we'll all be happy :)

Dia1
11th May 2009, 22:28
From what I've read at the TTLG forums it sounds like the devs for T4 really want our input on this one. Of course, being developers, they'll probably need to pander just a tad to what's popular and what sells; but maybe, just maybe, they'll create a T4 that will be worthy of its first two predecessors. I say first two because imho TDS was an abysmal failure all the way around.

So yes; keep T4 in the same settings as TDP & TMA. Forget the tits; they don't do a thing for me and make Garrett the main character; no little girls that need thiefy-type training, please. Forget the guns, grenades, and gangsta-thugs and modern-day settings & give Garrett his old arsenal of various arrows (PLEASE: DON'T FORGET THE ROPE ARROWS!!! NO FRACKIN' CLIMBING GLOVES THIS TIME!!!!!), blackjack and sword (please note I said 'sword', NOT dagger!), plus the assortment of flashbombs and mines, etc. And ffs make sure Garrett remembers how to swim this time!! And get Stephen Russell signed up ASAP to do Garrett's voice. Now that does something for me!! ;)

Oh yeah; forget those dreadful 'new-fashioned' lockpicks from TDS too!

And attention T4 devs: WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T, ABSOLUTELY FRACKIN' DON'T CREATE T4 FOR A CONSOLE FIRST THEN CONVERT IT FOR THE PC!!!! (Not that I have anything against console gaming, it just didn't help TDS to be created that way at all now, did it?)

Rant done

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 22:30
it just didn't help TDS to be created that way at all now, did it?

Of course it didn't since it wasn't developed that way.

Mshade
11th May 2009, 22:32
All other stealth games on the market are set in the modern day. There is no purpose to reboot Thief in a modern setting and I feel it would ruin the magic of the series.

Lord Tony
11th May 2009, 22:46
EM have not confirmed any information regarding timeline at the moment.
The original plan to design another Thief around a modern setting was Ion Storm's, before their demise.

Well it's a good thing they hit their demise because it seemed like they were going to ruin the Thief series.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 22:47
All other stealth games on the market are set in the modern day. There is no purpose to reboot Thief in a modern setting and I feel it would ruin the magic of the series.

I agree, 100%. :thumb:

column5
11th May 2009, 22:47
A Thief game with a Victorian feel to it would be most intriguing, but I'd generally prefer they keep the game in the already-established world.

Garrett21
11th May 2009, 23:21
Medieval Thief gold and Metal age are perfect as far as enviros go

Watcheratthegatesofdusk
11th May 2009, 23:31
Keep it logical to the already established aesthetics please, its an important and central part of "Thief's soul"

Dia1
11th May 2009, 23:59
Of course it didn't since it wasn't developed that way.

Are you saying that TDS was developed for the PC first, then converted to the Xbox format, then converted again to a PC format? Never heard that one. :confused:

Smiffydude
12th May 2009, 00:07
Everything that needs to be said regarding this topic has already been said, and I KNOW we're all on the same page here, so I'm just going to throw in my support; keep it Thief, and we'll all be happy :)

Nuff said I think.

Wamplet
12th May 2009, 00:13
I heard the original plans for Thief 4 were to bring it into modern day because "steampunk was over".

STEAMPUNK IS NOT OVER

Don't go messing this up with that modern take, Thief isn't Thief if it's not in that setting, that's the whole point of the series.

I agree.

There can only be wood and/or metal, no plastic in this gameworld.

Espion
12th May 2009, 00:39
And don't rush it either... Too many game devs are rushing through their projects leaving them buggy and without any coherent story.

As an ex-developer (thanks economic crisis!) I'd like to point out that no developer likes to rush a game unless their lunch money is banking on it. The only people who attempt to unecessarily rush a project is the publisher who just wanter a bigger return for a smaller investment. Many a project has been released too early because Dev's got a little ahead of schedule and publishers took that as a cue to release before the game was ready to go.

Espion
12th May 2009, 00:51
(PLEASE: DON'T FORGET THE ROPE ARROWS!!! NO FRACKIN' CLIMBING GLOVES THIS TIME!!!!!)

Totally agreed.

Oh yeah; forget those dreadful 'new-fashioned' lockpicks from TDS too!

Also agreed. I always thought a lockpick mini game would be fun but in the end it just turned out to be cumbersome. At the very least make it optional... Oh, and no "lockpicked ten doors" achievment. How about "lockpicked whilst guards are looking for you" or some other kind of lockpicked under durress. The achievments where it's just a counter for doing an action in a game suck.

And whilst I've brought them up, there MUST be a "Whilst Airbourne" achievment. This is non-optional O_O ;)

GmanPro
12th May 2009, 00:54
I enjoyed the lock picking minigame actually. But I think it would be better if the slots on the lock were randomly chosen, so each lock is a little different. At least on harder difficulties anyway

The Magpie
12th May 2009, 00:57
The aesthetics of the games has already been defined, changing them would not make much sense as it highly popular and logic to the story/world itself.

I'd just like to draw attention to the fact that each of the successors of Thief: The Dark Project did change the previously defined Thief aesthetics... and some liked it, some didn't.

I'd like to point out that no developer likes to rush a game unless their lunch money is banking on it.

Well, what's the track record of Eidos and/or Square Enix here?

I feel that Stepháne D'Astous has the right philosophy going here regarding schedules and milestones. Can't find the interview now, but he has stressed that development cycles at EM will be sufficient to produce pretty complex games.

--
Larris

TazmanianD
12th May 2009, 01:15
Maybe if we can get this thread to 1000 posts by the end of the week, they will take notice and not make Splinter Thief.

Dia1
12th May 2009, 02:39
:lmao: :lmao:

LaMOi
12th May 2009, 08:33
I hope they wont go changin the time period... I think with todays hardware we could have a fully realised medieval city to explore.... I really hope they dont make it Modern.. That would be soooooo boring!

Jables_Kage
12th May 2009, 08:35
hey, seems they already have some brilliant ideas. "let's ditch garrett in favour of his female version with huge breasts so that teenagers will buy this game day one".

lmao

mister_riz
12th May 2009, 08:36
When it was Ion Storm they were planning to create a modern Thief 4, but the fan reaction was so strongly against this they shelved the idea - then went out of business later.

Eidos Montreal seem to have their heads screwed on and I'm sure we'll return to steampunk/medieval/fantasy that we all love.

LaMOi
12th May 2009, 08:37
yeah i saw that rumour that ION STORM were going to do that... Idiots...

LaMOi
12th May 2009, 08:39
KEEP IT MEDIEVAL!!! Man, like there even needs to be discussion about this.. If they go modern -- im gonna be pi$$ed!!!

Platinumoxicity
12th May 2009, 09:52
I always liked he extreme contrast in the games. The caveman-esque simplicity of the pagans, the everyday civilian tech of the suburbs, the industrial grit and rust of the factories, and the marble and glass of the high-class, commerce, and the ruling elite. All of this combined into a single city, varying from diseased medieval slums to modern highrise apartments. It's brilliant as it is and it shouldn't be changed to either direction. :)

Gabriel
12th May 2009, 10:09
This is one game that doesn't need its play environment changed. Like somebody said before me, there are plenty of "stealth" games set in modern times and bringing Thief into modern world would just plain suck, it would be just another one of those. It WILL lose all of its charm and appeal, so don't do it! Keep it in the setting of Thief 1/2 and you should be good to go.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th May 2009, 10:11
I agree. :thumb:

gdttek
12th May 2009, 11:54
Ive been waiting for the announcement for a long time since the Thief series are probably the best games Ive played.I also enjoyed Splinter Cell and await for the next game of these series but Thief is a totally unique experience.I admit that when I heard about Ion Storm's plans to change the environment of the game from the fantastic and atmospheric Steampunk universe to the modern age , I was frustrated.You cannot change something that is so wonderful and successful.Please Eidos Montreal , as you see , we the fans of the Thief games DO NOT want an environment change , because we grew up playing as Garrett in The City , facing Keepers , Hammerites , Pagans or the City Watch.We DO NOT want to face modern cops , police vehicles and modern alarm systems.We want our water arrows , flashbombs , holy water and blackjack.I hope through this forum (and even though I know that there isn't any important information released yet) that Eidos developers realise that an environment change will not make us fans happy.

Watcheratthegatesofdusk
12th May 2009, 12:02
> The Magpie

They were pretty minor changes(but big enough to alienate some fans I know). The basic Aesthetics has remained relatively coherent. Thief 4 does only need to look at Thief 1-3 to know what the logical setting could be in terms of tone and design. Follow the internal logic of the game world.

BoldEnglishman
12th May 2009, 20:40
I'm just going to be ambiguous and say go with the OLD, versus the new (because as mentioned, Thief is neither strictly medieval nor steampunk).

Black Messiah
12th May 2009, 20:50
i want a middleage -like szenario, like in thief 1,2. they where perfect.

Ice1019
12th May 2009, 20:56
I'm gonna play the Devils's Advocate for a little bit, just to make sure we don't miss any possible good ideas.

A "true" modern setting would be a bad idea, sure, but Thief's world was distinctive because it had such an incredible blend of periods. Thief 2: The Metal Age had cameras and robots, but the way they were presented totally fit the vibe of the City. I just wonder what new stuff EM could bring in to the mix, possibly by changing the base setting from pseudo-medieval to something more modern, but still keeping the blend of cultures that made the city so fresh.

Again, it's just a suggestion. The world Garrett inhabited was (at least for the first 2 games) only visible through windows and skylines peeking over manor walls. There's so much that we haven't seen of the City and the world it inhabits, there's probably another game hiding in there somewhere.

Blue Sky
12th May 2009, 21:25
A "true" modern setting would be a bad idea, sure, but Thief's world was distinctive because it had such an incredible blend of periods. Thief 2: The Metal Age had cameras and robots, but the way they were presented totally fit the vibe of the City. I just wonder what new stuff EM could bring in to the mix, possibly by changing the base setting from pseudo-medieval to something more modern, but still keeping the blend of cultures that made the city so fresh.

Oh yeah, well that's what Ion Storm were planning... It wasn't going to be some realistic modern urban Splinter Cell environment, it was going to be a noir modern gothic Blade Runner type environment, still with all the factions, still with the magic and the fantasy.

I think it would've been quite exciting, myself, but I realise I'm in a minority!

Lord Tony
13th May 2009, 02:38
They should make the mechanical eye for night vision. I used the mechanical eye alot in TDS I even figured out an exploit of being able to use the eye and move with it on at the same time.

GmanPro
13th May 2009, 02:42
I tried to do that but it got annoying very quickly. I wanted to turn the brightness down so it actually looked like I was invisible hiding in the darkness. But I can't make out any of the details in the dark so I turn the brightness back up again. Making the mechanical eye useless.

They really need to be careful in how they light this game. I want to be able to leave the darkness in there, but I don't want to miss out on any of the subtle details either. Making the mechanical eye easier to use is one way to do this.

tokamak
13th May 2009, 03:35
The iron-mechanical grit and the "must've been rats" kind of mentality amongst the people of the city is just not translatable to the modern era. We shouldn't go the way of turning Garret into a common criminal who goes and breaks into someone's house in order to pawn a kid's ipod and xbox. How lame would that be? I know I wouldn't buy that game. Also, do we need a female lead? Not really. A female character of the likes of Viktoria? Sure.

The environment needs to remain iron-mechanical with some minimal use of electricity. The incorporation of rudimentary advances in chemistry and astronomy could be added to enrich the "magic" of the atmosphere without resorting to incantations. Nevertheless, there's more than enough temporally "adjacent" material in this fictional world to work with.

The most I would be willing to accept in terms of moving forward technology-wise is to see more forms of transportation to stow away in - trains, carriages, boats.

TazmanianD
13th May 2009, 03:37
They really need to be careful in how they light this game. I want to be able to leave the darkness in there, but I don't want to miss out on any of the subtle details either.
Thief is pretty much the only reason I still have an old school CRT. I've tried out various LCDs and none of them can touch the black levels I get on my CRT which is vital for enjoying Thief.

Nate
13th May 2009, 03:59
Yeah, but your LCD can do purple just fine...hehe, why did they do purple for Thief DS???

Lord Tony
13th May 2009, 06:13
I tried to do that but it got annoying very quickly. I wanted to turn the brightness down so it actually looked like I was invisible hiding in the darkness. But I can't make out any of the details in the dark so I turn the brightness back up again. Making the mechanical eye useless.

They really need to be careful in how they light this game. I want to be able to leave the darkness in there, but I don't want to miss out on any of the subtle details either. Making the mechanical eye easier to use is one way to do this.

When I use the eye I use the compass to tell me if I am in a dark area or not you should try it. You may had not notice but the compass shows whether if the area you're in is light or dark.

OnePunchMickey
13th May 2009, 07:56
Thief has never been in a particular definable time IMO. T1 is sort of a fantasy American idea of medieval Europe, with some much, much older pagan aspects. T2 has the same but with the beginnings of an industrial revolution.

For me, I wouldn't like to see it set any later than maybe a Victorian-ish or Edwardian-ish timeframe.

HellKittyDan
13th May 2009, 12:18
I always thought a "modern" Thief would look more like The Darkness as opposed to Splinter Cell

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/719/thedarkness01.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7949/thedarkness02.jpg
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7295/thedarkness03.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4427/thedarkness04.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1944/thedarkness05.jpg
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6632/thedarkness06.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5241/thedarkness07.jpg
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3599/thedarkness08.jpg
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1263/thedarkness09.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7227/thedarkness10.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/305/thedarkness11.jpg

Give me an updated version of the setting of Thief 2, however, I'm I'll be a very happy little vegemite.

sapud83
13th May 2009, 12:50
In my opinion medieval era is the best for Thief so they shouldn't change it for something that might be worse...

DF-HellFier
13th May 2009, 18:24
Only the Steampunk & Medieval - otherwise, I will not buy this game! (Sorry for my brutal answer, but I'm a straith man)...

esme
13th May 2009, 18:27
aw hell no

the mixture of medieval architecture and people, steampunk and ethereal magic is a major factor in what makes this game so enjoyable

and I really don't want to see the sort of interface where you point the character in a direction and he'll climb whatever obstacle is in the way

or combat sequences where 5 keypresses unleashes ten minutes of precoreographed mayhem dispatching all the assailants with split screens, slo mo and multiple angles so you don't miss a single stab, thrust or drop of blood as you sit back drinking your tea waiting for it to finish so you can carry on playing

DF-HellFier
13th May 2009, 18:35
aw hell no

the mixture of medieval architecture and people, steampunk and ethereal magic is a major factor in what makes this game so enjoyable

and I really don't want to see the sort of interface where you point the character in a direction and he'll climb whatever obstacle is in the way

or combat sequences where 5 keypresses unleashes ten minutes of precoreographed mayhem dispatching all the assailants with split screens, slo mo and multiple angles so you don't miss a single stab, thrust or drop of blood as you sit back drinking your tea waiting for it to finish so you can carry on playing

That's what I meaning for....

esme
13th May 2009, 18:43
That's what I meaning for....

sorry I don't understand what you mean

DF-HellFier
13th May 2009, 18:49
"the mixture of medieval architecture and people, steampunk and ethereal magic is a major factor in what makes this game so enjoyable

or combat sequences where 5 keypresses unleashes ten minutes of precoreographed mayhem"

Now it's better? :)

esme
13th May 2009, 19:06
ah so you do want steampunk/medieval/magic and you don't want choreography and point and go controls

I agree with you completely

Tohtori
13th May 2009, 20:13
I wouldn't mind a thief world to be a bit more modern. T2 already is a bit more like victorian than medieval to me. And the weapons are not really medieval anyway. Atleast I don't think they had gas arrows or scouting orbs at that time. And besides, who says that the thiefverses modern age is anything like ours. Be open minded.

DF-HellFier
13th May 2009, 20:20
No, If Thief's world be to modern, the game will lost his special "thing" I just don't know how to explain this at any language.... It's just as is! Thief = steampunk x magic + (medieval + 0.1 x victorian) - It's a simple math equation!..

tender19
13th May 2009, 20:28
Thief never was medieval, it's sort of a mix of medieval & victorian, with stylised, rusty steampunk-elements. That is why we love Thief. Play Splinter Cell and Hitman instead, if you need modern setting.

DF-HellFier
13th May 2009, 20:47
Damn RIGHT!

OnePunchMickey
13th May 2009, 20:48
Thief never was medieval

It's certainly not any medieval society that ever really existed. It's 'Hollywood' medieval.

Botlas
13th May 2009, 21:23
I vote for it remaining in the medieval era.

The Thief world is so anachronistic you could add in just about anything you wanted. You already have robots, lasers, and bionic eyes. Adding in new elements like guns and cars wouldn't be that unusual. So there really isn't any point in making it modern, other than trying to appeal to a wider audience.

Also, throwing it into a modern setting would be difficult without also throwing out the Hammerites and the Pagans, which IMO are crucial to the world of Thief. Part of the character of those factions is the way they talk and act; it just wouldn't work in a modern setting. They'd just turn into Nazis and Dirty Hippies.

Blue Sky
13th May 2009, 21:26
I always thought a "modern" Thief would look more like The Darkness as opposed to Splinter Cell

Oh those pics are gorgeous!

Are they from a game?

HellKittyDan
14th May 2009, 05:09
Oh those pics are gorgeous!

Are they from a game?

Yep, they're from The Darkness (http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/darkness)

Lord Tony
14th May 2009, 10:33
Why would we need modern. In the modern age you can't have zombies because you know the military would get involved at the first sight of a zombie. In modern anyone with magic powers would get taken away by the government for testing. Besides in medieval thief there is already electricity and cameras plus zombies and magic even security alarms. If Garret gets moved to a modern age what is he going to steal a TV and an Ipod?

TheJoe
14th May 2009, 20:25
Maybe if we can get this thread to 1000 posts by the end of the week, they will take notice and not make Splinter Thief.

And where is my thanks for making it?:rasp:

Thieffanman
14th May 2009, 21:28
Keep Thief that medieval/goth/steampunk mixture from the previous 3 games, but maybe add Renaissance to it: More statuary, more painted walls, pictures, and iconography (and things to steal ;D). I imagine Thief 4 like Renaissance-era Venice, Italy-- with a lot more pipes and steam guages.

--Thieffanman

Blue Sky
14th May 2009, 23:56
Yep, they're from The Darkness (http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/darkness)

Oooh it sounds very good!

But considering I only got an Xbox a few months ago, I can't see myself getting a 360 until...ooh...2015. I'll definitely make sure I pick up a cheapo traded-in copy of The Darkness, though, to laugh at the way the dated graphics appear on a screen rather than being projected directly onto your retina.

Tatyana's Flowers
15th May 2009, 11:50
Anyone read L'Archer Blanc comic? I don't wanna see Thief turns into him.http://www.bedetheque.com/Planches/archerblancl02p_17699.jpg

Jayy
15th May 2009, 14:43
The original plan to design Thief around a modern setting was Ion Storm's, before they folded and not EM's.

Any suggestions for a modern theme is mere rumour and speculation by the community.

If that's a denial of their being a modern theme I'm relieved. After all, modern world stealth games are a dime a dozen; Thief is unique. If it did turn out to be a modern setting I'd probably not bother playing it, and I suspect a lot of the existing fan base would say the same. Not that inovation in general is a bad thing, but there needs to be continuity in the features of the game series that make it recognisable.

Jayy
15th May 2009, 14:49
Medieval ambience. Hoody and dagger in a simpler, but deadly, and magical world. There's just no way it could be considered part of the franchise if the game deviated from these basics. If I want to see the modern world I'll step out of my door. When I'm locked away in my flat with my thumb glued to a controller and my eyes to a screen, that screen had better take me somewhere else.:nut::mad2::eek:

Nate
15th May 2009, 16:27
I want to see Garrett KILL that white archer dude.

Fiddlesticks
15th May 2009, 16:39
Steampunk = Thief

This athmosphere is what made the Thief universe and the gameplay experience very unique for me and i love it until today.

The Magpie
15th May 2009, 18:51
Thief = Thief

Fixed.

--
L.

Terr
15th May 2009, 19:19
If we're going to throw the term "steampunk" around I think we need to be really really clear this is not "Victorian" steampunk, but something significantly older.

Fiddlesticks
15th May 2009, 19:33
Fixed.

--
L.

Taffer..

Petike the Taffer
15th May 2009, 22:47
I wasn't sure until today, which potential vision of Thief IV will EM choose. But I've been told (shortly after noon) that EM will definitely stick with the already established medieval basis of the Thiefverse.

If it would have been modern, I'd shamelessly suggest reading this thread we had over at TTLG a few months ago :

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124167

It was essentialy some fun brainstorming on how to properly recreate the setting of Thief in a more modern era - the 1930s or the first half of the 20.-th century, to be precise... :-) You can still read it, if you're interested, though the idea isn't relevant anymore (at least for a few years and possible fifth Thief). ;-) :-)

TazmanianD
16th May 2009, 03:56
But I've been told (shortly after noon) that EM will definitely stick with the already established medieval basis of the Thiefverse.
I can't let this pass without asking what your source is for this and if he or she is really reliable and someone in a position to know. I can't imagine that at this point in development (as in not) they'd have made any decisions at all beyond the fact that it's a "Thief" game.

xDarknessFallsx
16th May 2009, 05:23
I can't let this pass without asking what your source is for this and if he or she is really reliable and someone in a position to know. I can't imagine that at this point in development (as in not) they'd have made any decisions at all beyond the fact that it's a "Thief" game.
I hope it's medieval. The thought of a new taffer wearing baggy jeans in modern day doesn't sound the least bit exciting to me.

Thieffanman
16th May 2009, 07:47
If we're going to throw the term "steampunk" around I think we need to be really really clear this is not "Victorian" steampunk, but something significantly older.

Agreed; good call :). Personally, I keep referring to it as "medieval/goth/steampunk", because Thief (especially TDS, in my opinion) seems to incorporate all three in just the right way :).

--Thieffanman

CavaliereNero
16th May 2009, 09:22
Thief 4 (I don't know about the rest of you, but I died a little inside when I saw "THI4F" on the main page) should naturally follow DS in the time line. The setting and development of such should reflect that. Garrett's world has many elements from the crowded neighborhood he lived in, the sprawling rooftops of the city, luxurious estates of the nobles, there are many aspects to this world. Loading zones should not be one of them. :mad2: Getting to the topic at hand, the setting itself should evolve, as it has from the older games, just not so much as to take away from the gameplay elements. They can have telephones and vending machines for all I care otherwise. The setting, whatever time period it is in, should be one where a thief like Garrett would thrive. And as much as I enjoyed some aspects of the town in DS, I felt very claustrophobic compared to the experience offered in Thief 2.

René
18th May 2009, 01:04
I can't let this pass without asking what your source is for this and if he or she is really reliable and someone in a position to know.

I'd love to know who it is too! But if it's real, it's best not to "out" him or her on the public forum. Send me a PM! :D

Hehehehe.

MasterTaffer
18th May 2009, 02:47
Part of what gave Thief it's identity is its unique setting. While I wouldn't be rabidly insulted like some people if they went modern, I would certainly be disappointed.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th May 2009, 13:06
Right, and we don't want to be disappointed, do we? ;)

It is obvious that the majority vote goes to medieval... pretty much how Thief should always be. :cool:

Zahr Dalsk
19th May 2009, 23:26
I'd be fine with a futuristic sci-fi stealth game... as long as it's not in the Thief series (but follows the same design philosophy).

I hate modern setting games, BOOOOORING.

The Thief series, to me, will always be best in that steampunk Thief 2 style.

TazmanianD
19th May 2009, 23:38
I'd be fine with a futuristic sci-fi stealth game... as long as it's not in the Thief series (but follows the same design philosophy).
That's an interesting twist. I agree that Thief 4 really needs to be in the same setting, but there's no reason why another game in a different storyline couldn't be had. You could say that the Splinter Cell games are like that, but they don't quite catch the same sneaking feeling.

I think the closest thing is actually Deus Ex. You can actually play the entire game without killing anyone (well except for one person). You can use tranq darts and the stun prod to knock people out and they're more effective if you can sneak up on people before using them. I played Deus Ex that way the first time through and it did have a feeling of being Thief like but sci-fi.

Slugo
20th May 2009, 00:25
Same world as the first 3 games, please!

Zahr Dalsk
20th May 2009, 00:53
I'd like to mention as well that I enjoy both seeing the relatively advanced places like Angelwatch, Shoalsgate, Truart's place, etc, and I also like the more primitive, mystical places like the Maw of Chaos, T3's Pagan Sanctuary, etc. And of course I loved the Cradle's atmosphere.

Combination of those with Thief 3 styled main city, and I'd be happy.

Oh, and give us another of those machinery-filled main menus like Thief 1 and 2. Thief 3 had a lame main menu. I like how Thief 2 had Thief 1's menu in the background, and it'd be awesome to see a menu that adds another layer on.

Petike the Taffer
20th May 2009, 23:07
I'd like to mention as well that I enjoy both seeing the relatively advanced places like Angelwatch, Shoalsgate, Truart's place, etc, and I also like the more primitive, mystical places like the Maw of Chaos, T3's Pagan Sanctuary, etc. And of course I loved the Cradle's atmosphere.

Combination of those with Thief 3 styled main city, and I'd be happy.

Oh, and give us another of those machinery-filled main menus like Thief 1 and 2. Thief 3 had a lame main menu. I like how Thief 2 had Thief 1's menu in the background, and it'd be awesome to see a menu that adds another layer on.

Seconded !!! :)

Though I really prefer less of the Victorian elements (TMA really overused them, IMHO) and more of the genuinely medieval ones. ;)

AndroBlakeney
21st May 2009, 09:45
Ok, so, I don't view myself as a hardcore gamer. I don't post on forums, I don't play video games with my friends. I do, however, love Thief. It's the one game that truly makes me want to spend an entire weekend in front of a screen. I can't begin to explain how pleased I am that Thief 4 will see the light of day and I feel that in this post, probably the only post I'll make, I must add to the consensus of: Steampunk, Steampunk, Steampunk. Going modern or anything close to it would be nothing short of a tragedy.

Aristofiles
27th Jun 2009, 14:27
Folks... thay can rape this game pritty hard and i will still buy it but here i haveto set down a fot...

If thay place thief 4 in a modern era i will neither play it or buy it... If thay do i will sell my pc for good and play mass effect on my xbox untill i grow old and die.

CaptainObvious
27th Jun 2009, 15:14
What I could eventually see is some setting sort of similar to London in the Victorian age. A modern game setting would probably try to be TH33F instead of Thief though.

LordGervasius
27th Jun 2009, 17:20
I hope they keep it the same. Thief wouldn't be thief without the rich world that was created in TDP and TMA.

TDS is a perfect example. You can have the same characters and factions and voice actors but if you screw with the world too much your game will kind of suck.

I would absolutely play a 1920s thief game if it was done right but it would have to be some sort of spin off. Thief has to stay as is.

CaptainObvious
27th Jun 2009, 17:26
TDS is a perfect example. You can have the same characters and factions and voice actors but if you screw with the world too much your game will kind of suck.

???

The world was more or less the same in style as in the other games sans the strange electrical streetlights of the other games. Or did I miss something?

jtr7
30th Jun 2009, 19:34
Apparently you did NOT miss what was missing. ;) Ignorance is bliss.

hellwalker
30th Jun 2009, 22:54
Both modernized and Plain Medieval stuff sux

Thief world is good as it is.

jtr7
30th Jun 2009, 23:26

astridelf
2nd Jul 2009, 15:52
i think a back to origins will be fine,in wood age back to thief1,more hiden places,more misticism and religious implications,castles,fortress,mountains,forest,more nature will be good,no more advanced tehnology,just back to thief 1.personally i think thief1 was the best,imagine thief 1 with graphics of thief 3 or better,give rope arrows back,zombies,secret spots,secret loots,back to cathedral missions,maibe thiefs on streets that will interfere in your missions and must be eliminated or join with you,maibe a love story etc

LordGervasius
3rd Jul 2009, 23:23
???

The world was more or less the same in style as in the other games sans the strange electrical streetlights of the other games. Or did I miss something?

Yes you are missing a lot. TDS was weaksauce compared to the other two. The city sections were small with very little to explore. The thieves highway was nonexistent. It was very much dumbed down compared to the other two. And those godforsaken loading screens gotta go!!!!!! Also why a fence in every section of the city. Make it realistic. You don't need a fence every 20 feet that sells just slightly different stuff.

I just finished it again tonight and although I was glad to have a third thief insallation it is still so bittersweet even after all these years.

fayfuya
19th Aug 2009, 21:55
Me thinks we shouldn't go to 2009 of course, but i think we should go to maybe 1700-1800.....something like that...

imperialreign
20th Aug 2009, 03:23
Honestly, I can't see any other time period really "working" for the Thief universe . . . LG created such a cryptic and mysterious game world that was literally molded by the factions . . . the primitive "industrialization" gives the whole setting a truly dark, dirty, and ominous appearance . . . add in the fact that we spend more time skulking about at night . . . how odd did things look under daylight? Only map I can recall taking place during the day was "Break from Craigscleft" - and what few outdoor areas there were just didn't look proper . . .

I mean, the Hammerites are so blind in their ways that "technological" progress, IMHO, would be considered heretical - hence the Mechanists . . .

The Keepers are so secluded in their ways, that their influence isn't really known within The City . . . same goes for the Pagans . . .

But, without the Hammers, The City would be your standard, late dark ages style game . . .

If I stop to consider how obtuse LG were in their "fleshing out" of The City and it's factions, it's allowed us to fill in the blanks - the game world has literally allowed us to define it as we interpret it . . . because the actual setting itself doesn't exist - whereas in a more modern time setting, or one from a more historical point, simply won't fit because of how it will conflict with our knowledge of that period . . .

dang - I feel like I've made no sense in this post . . . :o

jtr7
20th Aug 2009, 03:43
I got your meaning and I heartily agree. :thumb:

Strife2k7
20th Aug 2009, 12:06
I'd personally prefer a midieval timeline for Thief 4, but it certainly doesn't have to be a 'sequel' to the other titles. It could preceed them, if they chose to go down that path. Afterall, the bow and arrow has been around a long time, as has the sword and blackjack. There's more to the game than those elements, but the core experience would likely still funtion unimpeded 1000 years before Thief 1. I'm not suggesting Thief 4 take the Assassin's Creed timeline as its own, but it's possible we could have a very detailed prequel game.

VoxHouseDotNet
21st Aug 2009, 22:15
No medieval. I think it's a mistake to try to change the period in any way, the magic of Thief was really in the idea that it was in this wondrous time when electricity and mechanical stuff was brand new but still unknown and magical. It's encouraging to see that most people don't want this changed either. I think by and large people enjoyed Thief II the most and considered Deadly Shadows a flop. It's also good to know nobody wants this "modern reboot" of the series. That would be a mistake for sure as it would kill all the uniqueness of the game, really. You'd be going from arrows and clubs to the common modern weapons and other stuff we are already familiar with. But it's not just the weapons. You had bows and arrows in Arthurian legend but that stuff doesn't interest me to any great degree either. The Tesla coil type stuff plays on something that is fascinating to many because of the enigma of early inventors like Tesla. The mechanical heads/eyes on the ceilings creep the frick out of you, and I'd like to see more stuff like that, that can creep me out without being your stereotypical zombie or what have you.

The reason I don't want a modern setting is.. The purpose of a game to me is usually to escape into another world and time and forget your troubles. I don't typically like to read books about modern times, or play games set in modern times. You get enough of that in movies and on tv, frankly (not to mention life!).

If Thief 4 manages to capture the magic of Thief II, with a few surprises thrown in, combined with the improvements in game technology and graphics, I think it would do well, and I'd buy it. Change the time period, or don't manage to get the same voice actor for Garrett (although what can ya do really if you can't, you can't) and I'd not be quite as excited. To be honest I'd like to see some more mysteries involving the Mechanists, if those storylines are as well done as the original games, and maybe even deeper, that would really be key in my book. I love mysteries and conspiracies, especially in that sort of setting.

Secondary
24th Aug 2009, 18:52
Steampunk shall never die

it defines much of the Thief games

making thief go mdoern would be like making a modern elder scrolls, or a grand theft auto in the middle ages, or something comparable to that, it should not be done

VoxHouseDotNet
24th Aug 2009, 18:56
A middle ages GTA huh? I guess they'd have to call it Grand Theft Carriage or something if they ever did that. Kind of a funny idea actually. Not like GTA has ever revolved around one time period or character anyway.. whereas Thief has, and always should.

Frog
1st Dec 2009, 20:57
I hope Thief4 is set in the "The City" we all know and love, not a modern setting!

I remember getting furious when I read an interview with an Eidos rep who said something like "there will be more Thief, but we will make it modern to appeal to a wider audience". That was about 4 years ago!!!

:mad:

jtr7
1st Dec 2009, 21:00
Yeah. EM's being mum about it, but if Thief is ever "modern" it should not be any more modern than what we see in the cutscenes (late 19th century, early 20th, Industrial Age), and TMA is our Thief Modern. There's a couple of discussion threads here somewhere...

Here's one:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88499

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Dec 2009, 00:50
^
Merged. :)

I hope Thief4 is set in the "The City" we all know and love, not a modern setting!
I remember getting furious when I read an interview with an Eidos rep who said something like "there will be more Thief, but we will make it modern to appeal to a wider audience". That was about 4 years ago!!!

:mad:

Loup
2nd Dec 2009, 23:17
Most of the streets in TDS felt rather cliché. Fancy stone pillars, no dirt and grime and worst of all: where did the steampunk go? It was just the clocktower and part of the dock where you felt a hint of steampunk. About the medieval setting I often think about old town in Stockholm when walking around the streets in T1. Old town is a wild mix of architecture from various centuries with it's earliest in the 1300 century.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2302/2140304921_12814d8cbb.jpg

http://www.sweden.se/upload/Sweden_se/english/Theme%20sites/Celebrating_new/ga_stan_vinter.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2067/2274382454_edc0100baf.jpg?v=0

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/Marten-Trotzigs-Graend.jpg

Pic 3 and 4 gives me a rather thief:ish mood.

handsomepete
8th Dec 2009, 19:40
Thief is a wierd hybrid anyway. The first one was pure swords and magic, the second one was new age mechanics, remember the iron age? his removable eye? awsome. The last one he couldn't take out the eye, but he could zoom in on things. I could see them bringing it forward a tad. Have a black powder musket pistol to use. I hope they have the hammer faction again, they rock. What ever happened to the iron brotherhood or what ever they called themselves.

Loup
8th Dec 2009, 20:49
Thief is a wierd hybrid anyway. The first one was pure swords and magic, the second one was new age mechanics, remember the iron age? his removable eye? awsome. The last one he couldn't take out the eye, but he could zoom in on things. I could see them bringing it forward a tad. Have a black powder musket pistol to use. I hope they have the hammer faction again, they rock. What ever happened to the iron brotherhood or what ever they called themselves.

Im not following you. The first game was not just swords and magic. What about the hammerites? There was a clear element of industrial aspects like cragscleft prison. Garrett didn't throw out his eye on the floor. Did you believe that though the game? ^^ Don't you remember the scouting orbs which you found during the game? The eye is linked to them.

Are you refering to the mechanists when you say the iron brotherhood? I recommend you to finish Thief 2 and you'll find out.

The idea of musket wielding guards would make the gameplay very unforgiving when you are spotted and to give the player a musket? why? it is loud, takes forever to load and won't work if it gets wet. This is also way of topic which I apologise for.

I hope that we se some more art deco, it gave such a nice contrast to the medieval and renaissance elements.

Namdrol
8th Dec 2009, 21:16
Have a black powder musket pistol to use.

Why, just why?

xDarknessFallsx
8th Dec 2009, 21:48
I also vote for no guns. Bots with projectiles like in TMA is fine.. But no guns.

For some reason I just had a fleeting thought that EM might choose to introduce us to a different location... To introduce varied weaponry... Like medieval Asia; with Garrett encountering ninjas, shurikens, blow darts, samurai, and dojos. I really hope they don't do this.

Loup
9th Dec 2009, 11:24
For some reason I just had a fleeting thought that EM might choose to introduce us to a different location... To introduce varied weaponry... Like medieval Asia; with Garrett encountering ninjas, shurikens, blow darts, samurai, and dojos. I really hope they don't do this.

the builder forbid!

Cary L. Brown
13th Dec 2009, 04:56
As far as I'm concerned, Thief wasn't set in "Medieval" times OR "present times."

It was set in FUTURE times.

Anyone here a fan, at all, of Babylon 5? In the penultimate episode, of Season 4, we see the saga from the standpoint of an observer in the far, far future. In one of the "flashbacks to the future," we see a period "after the great burn" where they live as medieval times would have, but have started to collect some "salvage" from the time before the "great burn" and are starting to relearn the things which were lost, or abandoned.

That's the world I envision Garrett living in. A world which has crawled back from the edge of near-self-annihilation, and is starting to re-civilize itself, so a world which is a mish-mash of "pre-technology" culture and a few items of rediscovered technology (and, yes, magic... which, I suppose, is always there, but we see little of today because we don't believe in it!)

jtr7
13th Dec 2009, 05:07
A Canticle for Leibowitz.

esme
14th Dec 2009, 11:38
We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One

Vae
14th Dec 2009, 11:58
Stay close to the Vorlon and watch out for Shadows. They move when you're not looking at them.

Dragonera
19th Dec 2009, 07:42
I say, YES!

I didnt see this thread anywhere so i post it.

jtr7
19th Dec 2009, 08:31
You posted what? Heh heh.

The idea of steampunk for Thief 4 is almost a unanimous YES. Only those who think it should resemble our literal Middle Ages are against it to a degree.

Did you use the search engine? It doesn't have its own thread but it is discussed in a couple dozen of them. Rest assured, the developers know about the steampunk. What we don't know is what they are doing with it for Thief 4.

Herr_Garrett
19th Dec 2009, 10:43
Actually, I think it should be set in prehistorical times. With sabretooth burricks and whatnot. You could sneak around bashing in the heads of Neanderthals with clubs. That would be epic.

The main objective of the game could be stealing fire from the Builder, eh?

:mad2:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Dec 2009, 11:18
I say, YES!

I didnt see this thread anywhere so i post it.

I've merged your thread into existing discussion. :)

dj_joe_g
19th Dec 2009, 16:30
steampunk is a brilliant setting the enviroment in DS was really good, plus if thi4f was to be set in modern times surely that would mean no garrett?

jtr7
19th Dec 2009, 16:35
If Thief 4 was set in modern times, Garrett would be made a modern character. That was the original plan. Garrett in a hoodie. It wasn't going to be about The City a hundred years or more later, but a remake.

Nate
24th Dec 2009, 06:34
Well, maybe as the 'True Keeper', Garrett gets to live a long time....?!?

Anyway, modern or not, I'll still buy the game.

jtr7
24th Dec 2009, 07:35
keep·er
n.
1. One that keeps, especially:

a. An attendant, a guard, or a warden.
b. One that has the charge or care of something: a lion keeper; the keeper of the budget.
c. Sports A goalkeeper.
2. Amer. Football A play made by the quarterback who keeps the ball after it is snapped and then runs with it.
3. Informal One that is worth keeping, especially a fish large enough to be legally caught.

Garrett is a Keeper because he's one that should be kept.:p :thumb:

Loup
25th Dec 2009, 15:19
Well, maybe as the 'True Keeper', Garrett gets to live a long time....?!?

Anyway, modern or not, I'll still buy the game.

Jtr7 I admire how you manage to keep it together with all of these kind of statements in mind. ^^

Nate
The glyphs and the prophecy is history. There is nothing which would expand his lifespan. Apart from that, what you are suggesting is horrible story writing.

Oon Kuka Oon
26th Dec 2009, 19:44
I don't know what you mean with "medieval" but Thief's world is steampunk fantasy world.

Secondary
26th Dec 2009, 22:08
im not sure why this is even an issue

lets take a look at theif and why im sure most of us would rather keep the steampunk
1. it sort of defines theif
2. there are precious few steamounk games out there to begin with

AND ALSO!
our modern world advacned the way it did under a very specific set of circumstances, we spent little time dabbling with steam and went right on to internal combustion and electricity

if the theif world advacned into something comparable to our modern period, the two worlds would still be different, the theif unvierse would still be distincitly steampunk, but simply a sleeker and more perfected steampunk, i suppose

i dont think it would make sense for a society that is so rigidly based around magic and steam technology to slide into a space age tangent with elecronics and other technologies we are fmiliar with

i would isntead expect this timline to diverege into its own deviant future, comparable too but still unilke our own :)

dolvich
28th Dec 2009, 08:47
Ok, i will have my say - do not make it modern in any way! Steampunk setting solves this problem in great way and if u pay attention to details, which can be done better in visual way (compared to T1 and T2), you get very nice and slightly sci-fi setting.
Remember - diversity is the strenght of Thief. Medieval aspects, manors, castles and catacombs combined with Hammerite technically advanced steampunk technologies, magic and little bit of electricity. This concept is not getting old, it is still very original and exciting.

Loup
30th Dec 2009, 13:23
Voodoo. Is objecification of the woman body the only reason for women characters in games? What about Jade in Beyond good and evil, or Sarah Kerrigan in Starcraft. Shodan in System Shock 2, Alyx in HL 2, Karen S'jet in Homeworld, or Jaheira in Baldur's Gate?

Your view is truly disgusting.

It is also off topic since this thread is about if the timesetting should be modern or medieval/steampunk and not about possible new protagonist

Which you can find here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88489&page=25 or here http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88919&page=8.

MilordyBafford
30th Dec 2009, 22:38
The world of Thief is its own kind of genre. It not quite Medieval but closer to Renaissance. Since the natural laws of physics are turned on their head you get an intrusion of an early industrial revolution where streetlamps, robots and elaborate guarding mechanisms are possible with magical "cheats".

jtr7
30th Dec 2009, 23:07
A lot of those things are strictly technological, and not all magical "cheats". Thief borrows heavily from the 1300s to beyond the 2000s, with Fantasy and Sci-Fi in equal doses.

Platinumoxicity
31st Dec 2009, 00:54
The Thief universe should be a nice mess of everything.

-Medieval streets and castles (yep)
-Victorian manors and attires (all kinds of stuff in T1 and T2, maybe TDS)
-Ancient ruins and architecture from norse and egyptian origins (Bonehoard, lost city)
-Pirate stuff (Yarr)
-Steampunk gadgets and accessories (Steam machinery and robots and clicking dials everywhere)
-Magical things, horror and alien things (Mages, undead, monsters and chaos creatures)
-Modern things turned into steampunk (Submarine, cybernetics, and that water cooler in the cop station :) )
-Religious weirdos from western- and ancient histories (Hammerite and pagan stuff)

The Thief universe can basically have anything, if it's converted to suit the rest of the series. Take any sort of modern stuff and it's basically doable, within the restrictions already set in the series like the absence of combustion-propelled-projectile weaponry and petrol engines. For instance, a skyscraper is possible, just change the windows to old-style small windows with nice detailing, and construct the building from wood and stone, maybe with some towers on the top, and bridges connecting the buildings. Neon signs on the streets are simply steel stencils cut in the shape of the advertisement and there's fire or lamps illuminating them from the inside. There are no telephones because voice modulation isn't... well it exists but... ok just because Karras had live announcement system it doesn't mean anyone's thought about making a telephone grid. Important information could be transported between City sections as paper rolls via tubes using air pressure.

Hoots7
4th Jan 2010, 23:03
2nd that, a modern version would stink on ice, I would be greatly disappointed.
It would be like a bunch of other games and wouldn't be worth buying.
The time period is excellent, the dark ages & yes I still love the steampunk too.

Vae
4th Jan 2010, 23:07
The Thief universe should be a nice mess of everything.

The Thief universe is a nice mess of everything...:poke:....:)

Nate
5th Jan 2010, 02:26
I prefer the old steampunk world of the past 3 Thief games. However, I'll buy the game even IF it is a more 'modern' setting.

jtr7
5th Jan 2010, 02:31
You will be one of those that lets the rest of us know if we should bother buying it, unless you refrain from describing it on the fora. :)

Whether you like it or not, EM gets your money, unless there's a refund available to you, so hopefully you are telling them you like what they've done when the money is spent, not rewarding them for your disappointment. Also, I want good Thief, not a good game called Thief that isn't really, eh?

Nate
5th Jan 2010, 02:50
Point is, I REALLY don't think we have to worry about this. The devs have gotten a strong MAJORITY of us in favor of the same timeline/world as the previous Thief games.

Sure, a more modern world setting would be interesting as well. But then how are they going to bring back Garrett...the guy was already getting old in TDS, never mind another hundred years going by...unless being a 'True Keeper' makes him live a long time, I don't see them doing that.

But if they DO go modern, I'll buy it and be sure to take the time put up a review on the forum for the rest of you...yup, I like you guys that much!

jtr7
5th Jan 2010, 03:13
\o/

Although I agree, it doesn't help concerns when EM says, in effect, "Who says it won't be modern?"

Also, if they are looking to expand the audience, we are already screwed on several fronts.

The original Thief Modern concept was going to be a total reboot. Same general story, same characters, in a modern setting, extrapolated from the old Thief. Pretty much an alternate universe.

xDarknessFallsx
5th Jan 2010, 03:40
\o/
Also, if they are looking to expand the audience, we are already screwed on several fronts.

Here comes over-the-shoulder cam, nuke arrows, automatic rapid-fire bows, "run" as the default (and maybe only) movement speed, a boss at the end of each level, and an even bigger boss at the end of the game :nut:

Nate
5th Jan 2010, 03:57
Lol, I don't think we have to worry they'll take it to that extreme.

But a modernized retelling of the original tale....seems a bit cheap to me. I mean, we already know how it ends! If it is a modern NEW story, I can handle that.

Still though, I strongly prefer the same game world as the first 3 games.

xDarknessFallsx
5th Jan 2010, 04:15
Yes, it'd probably be fun to play a Thief spinoff where you sneak around with a 9mm and snake cam, but it's far from what I'm hoping T4 is.

The timeless Thief universe is what I escape to in order to get away from all the other present day and futuristic games that saturate the marketplace.

jtr7
5th Jan 2010, 04:19
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1114194&highlight=Krypt+Modern#post1114194

Nate
5th Jan 2010, 05:02
Hehe, just for laughs I reread the interview about the modernizing of Thief 4....it makes me cringe.

A modern steam punk world without light switches (and Garrett doesn't get to use guns) that completely rips off the storyline from Thief The Dark Project. Wow, I wonder if they were planning on including car chases?

Is there ANYTHING that doesn't SUCK about that vision????

Black Vine
15th Jan 2010, 16:20
Medieval! defiately not modern wise up!! the whole Thief feel is brought about by the timeline, if it's in modern day you might as well make a different game and call it something else.

Oon Kuka Oon
15th Jan 2010, 16:29
In my opinion the steampunk fantasy from TDP and TMA is one of the most important things for the game atmosphere.

Shadow Blade
15th Jan 2010, 16:48
I think it should remain SteamPunk. I would not mind if the technology and time progressed a little since the events of TDS but as long as its not to drastic.

I mean progressed as in like 3-5 years maybe.

Oon Kuka Oon
15th Jan 2010, 16:59
I personally think that Thief IV should continue from end of TMA - TDS had hardly contuinity and the plot was screwed up and made for 5 year olds.
It is possible that some of the mechanist machinery remains, and maybe people think that the misfortune of the Soulforge Cathedral was Builder's judgment and they fear his punishment and go back to Hammerites - who regain their wealth and power, and even make new inventions - but not too much, let's keep it Thief.
Edit: and maybe some people find the pagans had something to do with it and think it would be meaningful to join them - and pagans would recover.

Shadow Blade
15th Jan 2010, 17:08
I personally think that Thief IV should continue from end of TMA - TDS had hardly contuinity and the plot was screwed up and made for 5 year olds.
It is possible that some of the mechanist machinery remains, and maybe people think that the misfortune of the Soulforge Cathedral was Builder's judgment and they fear his punishment and go back to Hammerites - who regain their wealth and power, and even make new inventions - but not too much, let's keep it Thief.

I agree I would also prefer if they carried on from TMA but I assume they wont just throw the events of TDS out the window unless they do a reboot of the series.

But who knows whatever they decide to do whether they throw TDS out completely or continue from it or reboot the series I hope they do a good job. As long as they dont make it some modern day thief with silencers and shot guns and so on

esme
15th Jan 2010, 17:20
I think the devs could do worse than take a long hard look at the dark mod and all the FM's that are coming out for it, plus the updates that are currently being worked on for adding supernatural AI and the probably further updates to add elementals other AI types and objects, this is the bar they are going to have to aim at

Loup
15th Jan 2010, 17:24
Occasional a few children of Karras should be there, but i'd like them to be more of a reference than actual large parts of the game. I wonder how much of the technology of the mechanists made it into the city and how much it changed the face of the city. As Oon Kuka Oon said, it would also be interesting to think about how people would react on the events in Soulforge and how this could affect how they related to the technology after Soulforge.

from the wikia:
By Thief 3, Soulforge was still standing, but as a decaying ruin. The area has likely been shunned by hammerites for heretical technology and a warning about prideful nature, whilst for the rest it is likely too much of a deathtrap for any looting

Watcheratthegatesofdusk
3rd Feb 2010, 21:26
Time line? Some time (a couple of years maybe) after deadly shadows of course.
Quite hard to make something more suggestive then the setting we all know and love.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGZA-KDy87Q

GabSoh1
14th May 2010, 08:39
Hey is deus Ex a stealth game because I saw a game-play vidio looked like an RPG

jtr7
14th May 2010, 12:05
Stealth is part of the gameplay, yes, and you can choose to be very stealthy or not stealthy. RPG is also a part of it's structure.

Rieknor
15th May 2010, 00:01
Still too modern for me. :( I really want Thief to remain medieval.

Idem.

I like the middle and late medieval age most than others.

Of course, Thief is in Late middle age with avanced tecnology and i like that to, of course, dont let this tecnology be out of line.

esme
15th May 2010, 10:41
it's always been a kind of industrialised medieval setting with steampunk and touches of victoriana thrown in for good measure, older sections of the city tend to be more medieval newer ones more industrial, then we get the wild and wacky bits with the out of city areas such as pagan forests

there's plenty of scope in this for good storytelling

Hoots7
18th May 2010, 17:59
Hehe, just for laughs I reread the interview about the modernizing of Thief 4....it makes me cringe.

A modern steam punk world without light switches (and Garrett doesn't get to use guns) that completely rips off the storyline from Thief The Dark Project. Wow, I wonder if they were planning on including car chases?

Is there ANYTHING that doesn't SUCK about that vision????

NO, I didn't like their rebooting modern idea either, it would as one person said make Garrett into a thug.
The time period is great; if you want to move ahead a little (5-10yrs) OK but leave it alone.

robulation
18th May 2010, 22:15
To me Steampunk has always been around in some form or another...films like 'Young Sherlock Holmes' for example while being an incredibly dated looking film now (although the ILM special effects were considered amazing at the time), contained elements of steampunk contraptions and a dark, moody atmosphere that were evident in Thief.

Steampunk over the last 10 or so years HAS been a bit of a fashion and particularly prevalent, but I'm most certainly not sick of it. It should definitely remain Medieval. I also think that there would need to be a completely new and deep storyline that includes the pagans and hammerites etc. BUT if there was a rise in a completely different unheard-of cult or faction it would make things a little less predictable than JUST creating an update of the previous versions.

What are everyone elses thoughts?

jtr7
18th May 2010, 22:42
I think you summed it up well enough. With all the factions now Balanced, I would like to see them all participate in standing up against a new faction, and there were potential groups introduced but never followed through on already.

TMA was as modern as Thief should get, and a return of all the basic technology in TDP/Gold would be much appreciated and a good sign.

Joe257
25th May 2010, 16:54
Magic is prevalent in the Thief world, and the underlying nature of the plots of the first two games is an inbalance in the nature of this magic. In my opinion the two major factions in the game represent two sides of a beam atop a fulcrum, one side representing chaos, the other order. If this balance is pertubed enough the the topple of the beam becomes unstable and the beam falls off the fulcrum. In the games this represents a faction gaining power exponentially, such as the pagans in Thief 1:

1. Suppose Constantine had not been stopped in the TDP, I think the Hammer order and then the inhabitants of the city would have been butchered and nature would have consumed the city, much like how nature had consumed Constantines in the mission after Garret lost his eye. Hence we say the magic of nature/chaos dominating all other forms.

2. In TMA we see the magic of order growing exponentially, due in part to the recent suppression of nature/chaotic magic, so much so that progress that has taken the best part of a millenia in our world is achieved in a few years. If Karras had not been stopped it is likely rust gas would have sonsumed the landmass the city lies on, thereby providing no basis the nature/chaotic magic to exist (viktoria whos powers were drawn from nature magic was less powerful outside the forest). In this case the magic of order would dominate.

It also occurs to me that these events are not the only inbalance in the magics to have occured in the history of the Thief universe. I believe the inhabitants of Karath Din grew in power exponentially with the magic of order to something quite comparable with the mechanists (somehow the mechanists knew this and hence began the dig to retrieve lost technology at Karath Din). However in the era of Karath Din there was no check on the inbalance and a catastrophe occured (the beam falling of the fulcrum) thereby burying the city underground.

It seems to me a reasonable explanation for the existence of the keepers is this truth of the world became known to a group, who then took it upon themselves to maintain the balance to prevent further catastrophes. However, closer to present times the keepers became blind to the world, solely relying on the glyphs to look for signs of inbalance, a consequence of which was the infiltration of their order and hence their undoing.

These are my impressions of the world of Thief, it therefore seems to me that the progression of technology, culture etc is not a (mostly) linear progression as it has been in our world but more a consequence of the small changes in the balance of the magics prevalent in the world. Hence the world of Thief 4 should be defined in its own terms, depending upon the history of the balance before the timeline of the game, and not compared to modern day times as we know it.

Namdrol
25th May 2010, 17:11
Nice.
Good summation.

Davehall380
25th May 2010, 19:15
Agreed.

beastrn
27th Sep 2010, 07:40
Just letting you guys know. I'll link to this thread once it's announced officially.

Gross. :(

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Sep 2010, 08:03
False. Thief IV is not going to be in a modern setting.
I've edited your thread title too.

Vae
27th Sep 2010, 08:20
Yeah, that's pretty obvious. As I've said before, the EM team would have to be complete fools to give up the fantastical richness of the already highly developed THIEF Universe.

@Viktoria...Thief IV?...Don't you mean THI4F?...;)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Sep 2010, 08:29
@Viktoria...Thief IV?...Don't you mean THI4F?...;)

No. It's definitely Thief IV - as is the title on the official site and this forum's name. :p

Vae
27th Sep 2010, 08:30
Okay, then change the logo to match...:)

...otherwise, that's just an internet marketing decision...:p

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Sep 2010, 08:34
Okay, then change the logo to match...:)

The placeholder title isn't going to change until the official banner is revealed. So for now, just keepeth your F4ITH in THI4F. :flowers:

Vae
27th Sep 2010, 08:42
Are you suggesting that there is a purpose for keeping it THI4F until then?...Perhaps as a prelude to a cryptic first act to the brand itself, thereby giving THI4F meaning and purpose, as opposed to it being just some arbitrarily derived false leet conception?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Sep 2010, 08:49
Faith is the bird that sings when the dawn is still dark. :flowers:

Vae
27th Sep 2010, 08:56
...and the sweetness of a rose need not be seen, in order to be understood ------{--@

Psychomorph
27th Sep 2010, 09:35
Yeah, that's pretty obvious. As I've said before, the EM team would have to be complete fools to give up the fantastical richness of the already highly developed THIEF Universe.
On the other hand, if they'd give up on that, they'd not be able to screw it up, ghehehe.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Sep 2010, 11:29
...and the sweetness of a rose need not be seen, in order to be understood ------{--@

Thank you. I see the beauty in this rose, and it charms me. So, I shall gladly ignore the thorns. ;)

AlexOfSpades
27th Sep 2010, 12:43
Modern setting? Yohoo!!!!!

Garrett will put on a hoodie and some sk8 pants, what's up tafferboy?

It can be a dance game, with Garrett rappin' and dancin'

DJ Taffer feat. Benny Benassi

exclusive on the Thiaf nightclub

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Sep 2010, 12:48
^
As soon as you mentioned Benassi, I liked the idea! :D

Psychomorph
27th Sep 2010, 14:30
In Thief 3 you had the flashback mission in the Cradle, it was about the past. What if this time you have a "flashforward" experience, where you see things from the future, but in a distorted way without the ability to manipulate things, but being fully aware of what is going on. That way you have to learn about something (lets say an object) that exists in your present time, but nobody has a clue about it (in the future they will have, hence your trip).

Gameplay is like this; you are like in a semi existent state, that means you cannot manipulate things, but also can't move through walls. You have to wait until a real person opens doors, etc.
You can stay in someones view for a short period of time (like just walking by), if you stay for to long, they begin to see some sort of an image, a "ghost" (from the past). At first they just become aware of something that actually you are, but think of it as imagination, this is a signal to you to get out of their sight.
Tired, drunk, drugged persons are less concentrated or to mentally affected, so they will blame their state for seeing the images, that gives you more time staying in their view, but at some point they will get really suspicious.
When they realize to see a supernatural phenomenon, their awareness causes the "link" to the future to interrupt and you get thrown back to the present time, failing the objective.

Man I should start making missions, to much fantasy, lol.

AlexOfSpades
27th Sep 2010, 14:59
I heard that there's a fanmission for T2 with some modern setting i think.

Rebellion of the Builder? I dont know...

JFSOCC
27th Sep 2010, 15:21
In Thief 3 you had the flashback mission in the Cradle, it was about the past. What if this time you have a "flashforward" experience, where you see things from the future, but in a distorted way without the ability to manipulate things, but being fully aware of what is going on. That way you have to learn about something (lets say an object) that exists in your present time, but nobody has a clue about it (in the future they will have, hence your trip).

Gameplay is like this; you are like in a semi existent state, that means you cannot manipulate things, but also can't move through walls. You have to wait until a real person opens doors, etc.
You can stay in someones view for a short period of time (like just walking by), if you stay for to long, they begin to see some sort of an image, a "ghost" (from the past). At first they just become aware of something that actually you are, but think of it as imagination, this is a signal to you to get out of their sight.
Tired, drunk, drugged persons are less concentrated or to mentally affected, so they will blame their state for seeing the images, that gives you more time staying in their view, but at some point they will get really suspicious.
When they realize to see a supernatural phenomenon, their awareness causes the "link" to the future to interrupt and you get thrown back to the present time, failing the objective.

Man I should start making missions, to much fantasy, lol.
That may be the best Idea I've heard so far!

Psychomorph
27th Sep 2010, 16:55
That may be the best Idea I've heard so far!
Well, maybe not the best... but close. :D

Blue Sky
27th Sep 2010, 21:21
Ion Storm Austin's original plans for Thief 4 were going to set it in a "future" version of The City, still complete with a mix of technology and the supernatural.

That's probably where the OP got his information from! Of course, it's six years out of date information on a game which was never made by a developer which has now gone under.

jtr7
27th Sep 2010, 23:11
Is it officially not true? René wouldn't confirm or deny it and wanted to know who said it was not Medieval, so I messaged him:

The source(s) of the notion that Thief 4 will not have the dreaded modern setting:
http://thereticule.com/2009/05/more-thievery-acoming/

If it's officially not true that it will take place in a modern setting, then that is NEWS that needs to be officially posted and linked to and added to the Wiki's and FAQs.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Sep 2010, 13:44
Is it officially not true? René wouldn't confirm or deny it ...

He confirmed to me when this topic was brought up previously when this forum launched.
As we all know, the original plan to design Thief around a modern setting was Ion Storm's, before they folded. It was never EM's plan. So, any suggestions for a modern theme is mere rumour and speculation by the community.

Herr_Garrett
28th Sep 2010, 18:26
The placeholder title isn't going to change until the official banner is revealed. So for now, just keepeth your F4ITH in THI4F. :flowers:

That's probably the lamest joke I've ever heard. They've ****ing printed ****ing shirts with that ****ing logo. You can ****ing buy them. That's pretty official.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Sep 2010, 21:15
I apologise if you didn't enjoy the twist, but no need to swear so much, is there?
Yes the logo is official, it came from the studio and it is used on this forum as a temporary placeholder. This has already been explained in any case. The items were corporate goodies for staff to enjoy. Only the one t-shirt is available in the store now for fans. Grab it while you can, limited edition. ;)

Pieter888
28th Sep 2010, 22:46
I got mine :) anything to contribute to the development of thief IV!

Also did mine eyes read it well? Does thou confirm "modern age thief" to be nothing but a rumor?
All cheer for queen Victoria!

jtr7
28th Sep 2010, 23:15
He confirmed to me when this topic was brought up previously when this forum launched.
As we all know, the original plan to design Thief around a modern setting was Ion Storm's, before they folded. It was never EM's plan. So, any suggestions for a modern theme is mere rumour and speculation by the community.

Then it is NEWS that no longer needs to be treated as a maybe, and needs to be stated with confidence. When I stated it with confidence a few times, René injected doubt, and only now, all this time later, did someone who knew the truth finally confirm it. WTF? Do you also know the truth about Stephen Russell and a return of Garrett? We wouldn't need "F4ITH" if the known truth was stated and firm. You have to realize this has created trust issues, and there are consequences of that, and number one is dubiousness and acting like it isn't earned for solid reasons only leads to more distrust.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Sep 2010, 23:37
Then it is NEWS that no longer needs to be treated as a maybe, and needs to be stated with confidence. When I stated it with confidence a few times, René injected doubt, and only now, all this time later, did someone who knew the truth finally confirm it. WTF? Do you also know the truth about Stephen Russell and a return of Garrett? We wouldn't need "F4ITH" if the known truth was stated and firm. You have to realize this has created trust issues, and there are consequences of that, and number one is dubiousness and acting like it isn't earned for solid reasons only leads to more distrust.

Excuse me?
I don't know why you have become the antagonist of late, jtr7, but you need to calm down and stop trying to create drama. I find your demeanor, once fair and pleasant, to have turned sour and bitter, for goodness knows what reasons!

Please don't come on here to talk down to me with accusational questions, imaginings of dubious and distrustful antics, or proclaim "WTF" and act like this is suddenly "News", it isn't. When was this subject ever a 'maybe'?!

You have a poor memory, jtr7. This information was confirmed by me in a much earlier thread last year on the very same topic. Try the search function.

xDarknessFallsx
29th Sep 2010, 01:41
Jtr7, m'friend, this is Thief... don't let Emperor Palpatine take hold (he's in a different genre)... not worth it! Have f4ith th/-\t Thief IV will emerge with an awesome future. For now at least.

Heavy Rain
29th Sep 2010, 07:53
All these claims of distrust issues and dubiousness exist only in jtr7's head. That guy is clearly whacked and needs to lay off a bit for everyone's betterment around here.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Sep 2010, 08:00
It has been brought to my attention that even members on TTLG are noticing how he has changed. :(

Anyway, I'll try and find the original thread from last year where I had already confirmed this information. Just so everyone understands that there is NO "news" going on here, and no drama.

EDIT: Here is original thread: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88499&highlight=thief+modern

I think I may even merge the two in any case. Hold on tight!

kin
29th Sep 2010, 11:20
This is what happens when you get too tied with a pc game.

Psychomorph
29th Sep 2010, 17:03
Yup, wouldn't happen if he played console.

...kidding

Asadar
29th Sep 2010, 18:33
Hello everyone... :hmm:

Looks like I arrived a bit late ... what happened to jtr? :confused:

I am a bit lost in all these new posts since my last visit, but did I miss something with this story of "modern or medieval"?

jtr7
29th Sep 2010, 18:47
I'm frustrated not being heard, regardless of the topic. Since this is a Thief 4 forum, the topic is Thief 4. I will get frustrated with anybody over any topic where I explain my viewpoint and it falls on deaf ears AND I'm accused of not explaining myself. For instance, I've explained this already, and it went unnoticed, and this has happened several times on this forum, so the people who were hear and even participants in those other rows have no excuse. It's confounding. It's like offering peanut butter to a guy who's just told you he's allergic to peanuts.

Asadar
29th Sep 2010, 19:00
For instance, I've explained this already, and it went unnoticed, and this has happened several times on this forum, so the people who were hear and even participants in those other rows have no excuse.

Wouuch... :)
Well, excuse me for not being very responsive to all that, but I just came back from work for just one hour, and it was a moment that I had not come to the forum. ^^

And the fact is that I do not have time to read all the topics since my last visit, especially as the long speech in English are tiring for me after ten o'clock behind a computer screen. :rolleyes:

So (you will excuse me if my sentence can be awkward, I'm doing my best), basically as I understand, nobody listens to what you say, is that correct?

jtr7
29th Sep 2010, 19:32
Apologies. You are fine, my friend. :flowers:

I wasn't including you in the explanation, since you have not been here and have not participated in the chaos.

It's been a lot of this: :mad2:

Heavy Rain
29th Sep 2010, 19:52
Hey jtr7! Care to reply to Viktoria's post about whether this was any "news" really or that would be too inconvenient and expose your lies?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Sep 2010, 19:58
I'm frustrated not being heard, regardless of the topic. Since this is a Thief 4 forum, the topic is Thief 4. I will get frustrated with anybody over any topic where I explain my viewpoint and it falls on deaf ears AND I'm accused of not explaining myself.

How can you be frustrated at not being heard? Everybody HAS heard you and you have received plenty of response to confirm this fact. Perhaps what really frustrates you is that you didn't get what you demanded. Instead of considering that everything you have said "has fallen on deaf ears", perhaps reevaluate your reasoning and come up with "people have heard enough and/or no longer choose to listen to someone's personal opinion on a subject.", for example. Pretty much the same kind of situation if it was you who had stumbled upon a thread and found the content to be of little interest or of no importance. People just decide (or recognise) when it's time to move on.

One other thing. I have just been alerted to your post over on TTLG, where you accuse me of "doing things (closing threads) for personal reasons", "butchering the hell out of comments" and "making claims that are not true"! Why does this nonsense continue? Why has this recent malicious agenda against me come about? The only pointer is the discussion about the placeholder on this site, which seems ridiculous. But I honestly can't think of any other reason that would make you change so much in such a short period of time.

Asadar
29th Sep 2010, 20:04
It's been a lot of this: :mad2:

*Makes a bandage* "Be careful, you might have a headache to do that." ^^

Well, there seems to be some tension here in recent times...

Come on people, why are we here? We love Thief and we want to share this with others people, right ? :)

There are no ennemies there... nor Viktoria, neither jtr, neither anyone. What's going on here? Why so incisive in your posts? All of you... Did I miss the declaration of World War III?

I say this for everyone on this forum. Let the stress of work behind, or whatever else, I don't know, but please remember that there are people and faces behind these pseudonyms. We are here to discuss, and of course to quarrel a bit also stories of "sword or dagger", "little girl", etc ... but basically, it's still just differences of ideas, and we will not undermine our moral with that anyways, right? ;)

Well, from my side, my bed is waiting for me, but I really hope to come back soon. I like this forum, and I really don't want to see the situation deteriorate just because of differences of ideas... we have enough bad news on the TV news like that! :D

Good night everyone ! :thumb:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Sep 2010, 20:08
I like this forum, and I really don't want to see the situation deteriorate just because of differences of ideas...

We all like this forum. It will not become a place of negativity, I can promise you that. :flowers:

And really, it isn't an issue of different ideas, but rather malicious intent, it seems. :(

Asadar
29th Sep 2010, 20:21
Ho no, please don't tell that words, it sounds so cruel. This is a forum, not a battlefield! No murder, no malicious intent, no insult... Hold your weapons soldiers!

Please everyone, I probably missed something, but all I see in coming here after a hard day's work is not really encouraging.

You will not force me to dress up as Care Bears and make free hugs to everyone just to see a bit of reconciliation and understanding, isn't it? ^^

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Sep 2010, 20:29
You will not force me to dress up as Care Bears and make free hugs to everyone just to see a bit of reconciliation and understanding, isn't it? ^^

LOL @ Care Bear. :D We will all join in a bear hug, regardless. :group_hug:

Asadar
29th Sep 2010, 20:33
I'm not very "Care Bear" normally, but I much prefer that than to see you have the nerves. :)

And no Blackjack for the hug! (Garrett, I Said "No"!) :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Sep 2010, 20:42
Don't you worry about a thing. Goodnight. :wave:

Asadar
29th Sep 2010, 20:45
Thank, good night too. ;)

AlexOfSpades
29th Sep 2010, 21:19
I personally consider any forum, an Arena.

Each post, an attack.

When you see those threads were many posters are quoting each other, you can know - that's one large battle going on.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Sep 2010, 21:45
Only, in this case, one person cowardly occupies a different arena and is spurting nonsense there knowing too well that his opponent is unable to reply in defence.

I agree that a forum is an arena for everyone to express their views (we can call it battle if you like), but outright lies and personal attacks is a disgraceful way to behave and deeply frowned upon by the majority of people. That is why moderators inevitably close such threads and/or ban people, and I now see that the other forum in question has closed the thread. It is up to all of us to foster and maintain a positive online community on any forum. Lies and personal attacks against any user is contrary to this spirit.

That said, I hope we can all move on now and return to normality.

JFSOCC
29th Sep 2010, 21:53
I personally consider any forum, an Arena.

Each post, an attack.

When you see those threads were many posters are quoting each other, you can know - that's one large battle going on.

http://www.flamewarriors.com

Epic site.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Sep 2010, 21:57
^
It is! :D

Hypevosa
30th Sep 2010, 13:31
That's an awesome site, just read all of them and then see which ones have applied to myself at one time or another while here:

Duelist
Howler
Jekyl and Hyde (depending on sleep mostly)
Necromancer (So I raised a dead body once or twice...)
Philosopher
Rebel Leader
Tireless Rebutter

Naturally a mix of good and bad things.

Anyone else want to try for fun? :P

(Wait, this is off topic >_>... please forgive my transgression Viktoria, if it so offends)

AlexOfSpades
30th Sep 2010, 16:44
I'm some kind of an Impostor.

Heh.

Kidding, of course i'm not.

Epic website indeed! I've recognized many of those "characters" here.

Asadar
30th Sep 2010, 17:45
:lol:

I love this site ! :thumb:

I totally agree with the spirit of this site : Better to laugh than cry. :)