PDA

View Full Version : THIEF 4 - Additional Title Suggestions & Discussion

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 13:48
Should the new game be titled just "Thief IV", or should iit include a subtitle too?
Just for fun, share your T4 game subtitle suggestions... :D

StalinsGhost
11th May 2009, 13:51
No specific suggestions, but not something generic like "Deadly Shadows". I really, really liked "The Dark Project" and "The Metal Age" because they set out the theme before you even loaded up the game. One was about the attempted bringing about of a Dark Age of the Trickster, another was one literally of "The Metal Age". "Deadly Shadows" didn't really say anything else.

Also, please get whoever slipped and put the 4 where the "E" is meant to be back! :D

Velecost
11th May 2009, 13:57
Well to help it sell better you may want to leave the 4 out. It may turn some people off knowing they missed 3 games in the series. Before picking a subtitle would have to know something about the story though.

TheJoker
11th May 2009, 14:05
Thief IV

Imho

dark_angel_7
11th May 2009, 14:05
I think "Thief IV" would be good enough ;)

Morphine
11th May 2009, 14:36
Technically, Deadly Shadows wasn't Thief 3.

So the title should technically be Thief 3.

Technically.

Gorephazer
11th May 2009, 15:01
"Thief 4 -- Shadows of the Metal Age" Kind of a combination of the last two titles; it could feature the deterioration of the Mechanist's physical influence on the City. I dunno just a random idea...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 15:13
"Thief 4 -- Shadows of the Metal Age" Kind of a combination of the last two titles; it could feature the deterioration of the Mechanist's physical influence on the City. I dunno just a random idea...

We can't leave out the first game... :p
So, "Dark Shadows of the Metal Age", then? :D

I jest. If there is to be an additional subtitle it needs to be completely different to the others, imo.

UrUkUs
11th May 2009, 15:17
Thief IV - Burricks Revenge

StalinsGhost
11th May 2009, 15:18
Thinking on it further, it really doesn't bother me so long as ThiAf goes. "Thief: Garrett Goes for Spagetti Dinner" would do me fine so long as it's "Thief".

Necros
11th May 2009, 15:26
Yes, I'd like a subtitle but only a short one. I have no tips yet because there's no info about the story, so I'll wait for some details. :)

Gorephazer
11th May 2009, 15:27
Hmm you are probably right. Okay then just something with three words, the first being "The." I like that pattern. The third word could be "Codex" just because it sounds cool and because it ties in well with the Keepers :)

R_Soul
11th May 2009, 15:42
Thief IV: The Unwritten Times

or

Thief IV: Better Than Tomb Raider

geekytom
11th May 2009, 15:49
Sorry, I'm not a fan of numbering sequals. You make them sound like cheesy American block busters.

Thief is such a strong brand that simply "Thief" would have done the trick.

So....

Thief: (and then the name of the story)

That'll do.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 16:35
Thief IV - Burricks Revenge

Haha! :D

Goliath The Thief
11th May 2009, 17:30
Thief IV : Burglar Tycoon

HellKittyDan
11th May 2009, 17:42
Thief 4: Thi4f For4v4r

Anyway, being that we don't know anything about the game it's kinda hard to think of a realistic title, but the version of Thief 4 that exists solely in my head is called:

Thief: Renaissance

Kinda clashes with the Renaissance styling they've got going on in DX3 though.

Vladimyre
11th May 2009, 17:48
Thief IV: It puts the I V in for thief addicts ;)

Thief IV: PewPew with my mansley bow.

Actually, I think Thief IV is just fine :)

UrUkUs
11th May 2009, 17:52
Ершуа 4

Danie1
11th May 2009, 17:58
No specific suggestions, but not something generic like "Deadly Shadows". I really, really liked "The Dark Project" and "The Metal Age" because they set out the theme before you even loaded up the game. One was about the attempted bringing about of a Dark Age of the Trickster, another was one literally of "The Metal Age". "Deadly Shadows" didn't really say anything else.

Also, please get whoever slipped and put the 4 where the "E" is meant to be back! :D

Probably the best response here. The subtitles had references to the story in the first two games. "Deadly Shadows" felt like a nod toward kids who want shoot 'em ups.

We'll have to hold off on a phrase until we know a little about the storyline.

And Thief doesn't feel like Thief if the title doesn't look correct. Go back and use the old "e".

cobak
11th May 2009, 19:23
Thief IV: The Unwritten Times

The Unwritten Times or something based upon that probably makes the most sense if it takes place after Thief 3 (i hope so) and not a bad title either!

and i couldnt care less if it is Thief or Thief IV... just have a good subtitle!

UrUkUs
11th May 2009, 19:26
Thief IV: Better Than Tomb Raider
^ ftw!!

Platinumoxicity
11th May 2009, 19:27

I think I've heard that somewhere... Hmm... Oh, I know! T2X - Shadows of the Metal Age. :lol: I don't know whether your idea was just purely for the lulz, but I think it wouldn't be too respectful for the hard working developers of the single largest free fan project in the series.

nicked
11th May 2009, 19:32
Well to help it sell better you may want to leave the 4 out. It may turn some people off knowing they missed 3 games in the series. Before picking a subtitle would have to know something about the story though.

This is exactly why the 4 (or IV) NEEDS to be in the title. So people DO go back and play the first three and find out what they were missing. Otherwise, you're pandering to retards.

Thievingtaffer
11th May 2009, 19:33
How can you possibly expect us to write titles when we have no idea what it's about?

Thief IV: The Phantom Keeper
Thief IV: The Attack of the Pagans
Thief IV: The Revenge of the Hammers
Thief IV: A New Keeper
Thief IV: The Pagans Strike Back.
Thief IV: Return of the Hammers

Gorephazer
11th May 2009, 19:50
I think I've heard that somewhere... Hmm... Oh, I know! T2X - Shadows of the Metal Age. :lol: I don't know whether your idea was just purely for the lulz, but I think it wouldn't be too respectful for the hard working developers of the single largest free fan project in the series.

Wow haha! Totally did not know that at all... I mean I've heard of T2X before but I've never played it. I guess great minds think alike ;)

Herr_Garrett
11th May 2009, 19:53
The 'Unwritten Times' sounds pretty good, only I guess some people would conclude that you have to steal a special edition of 'The Times', filled with Glyphs but never actually issued or something :D

Thief IV - The Secret of the Taffer

Blue Sky
11th May 2009, 20:02
How about...

Thief: Deadlier Shadows

Thi4f: The 4 Is Actually An E

Thief: Garrett Goes Forth

CaliTHIEFFOURnication

He Will THIEF Your FOURtune

...one of those has to be the winner.

Gorephazer
11th May 2009, 20:04
Thief: Return of the Thief

GmanPro
11th May 2009, 20:25
It will be something dumb like "T4: Revenge of the Rogues!!11!!1"

DarthEnder
11th May 2009, 21:27
Thief IV: <something related to the game's plot>

would be just fine.

Blue Sky
11th May 2009, 21:54
Got some more...

Thief 4: More Thieving

Thief 4: Thieve Harder

Thief 4: It's FOURsome

Thief 4 and the Goblet of Fire

Danie1
11th May 2009, 22:10
Thief 4 and the Goblet of Fire[/b]

LOL Good one!

abr4
12th May 2009, 02:13
Thief IV: The Dark Menace
Thief IV: Attack of the Servants
Thief IV: Revenge of the Hammerites
Thief IV: A New Thief
Thief IV: The City Watch Strikes Back
Thief IV: Return of the Keepers

:P

Pipinowns
12th May 2009, 02:17
Thief IV: Don't Fear The Keeper

Velecost
12th May 2009, 11:39
This is exactly why the 4 (or IV) NEEDS to be in the title. So people DO go back and play the first three and find out what they were missing. Otherwise, you're pandering to retards.

Your relying too much on people to do this which the majority will not. Some will that really want to know more about the world and characters. I just want the game to sell well so the franchise keeps going! But hey I could be wrong as long as thief 4 rocks it won't matter!

mister_riz
12th May 2009, 11:51
Well this kinda depends on the story doesn't it :P But:

Thief 4: Rise of the Black Guild

And a theme involving Garrett discovering an underworld guild that has infiltrated all the powerful groups within the city would be my personal choice for the next story. It would be possible to incorporate an intricate plot which ends with the city in balance again ready for a potential number 5...

edit: I googled RotBG and it doesn't seem to be taken by another game/film/book ;)

Dominus
12th May 2009, 11:55
Thi4f: t3h l33t prjkt

Thief Raider: Sexy Shadows

but really, the subtitle, if any (I prefer none), would be best made by the ones who are writing the story.

Thievingtaffer
12th May 2009, 15:37
Thief IV: The Dark Menace
Thief IV: Attack of the Servants
Thief IV: Revenge of the Hammerites
Thief IV: A New Thief
Thief IV: The City Watch Strikes Back
Thief IV: Return of the Keepers

:P
Did you happen to see my suggestions, also on this page? :D

kin
12th May 2009, 16:01
Thief4: The dark glyph (some story about a mysterious glyph)
Thief4: Resurection of the [.....] (you can put anything you like in here Victoria, Trickster...)
Thief4: The elements (some story about the elements and talismans?)
Thief4: Ruins of the metal age
Thief4: (this should be a nice surprise anyway)

The previous titles didn't say anything about the story in the subtitle so it could just be something that just sounds or looks good.

Really you can't just give a title without knowing what is the story so you must make a quick story in your mind.

Mshade
12th May 2009, 16:11
I would be fine with just Thief IV. However, it would sound weird with just a number at the end. Why don`t they just name it `Thief`` plain and simple since that hasn`t been used yet. Or have a subtitle that has something to do with the story.

Demtor
12th May 2009, 16:35
Bring some respect back to the series.

Thief IV: (something story related)

Platinumoxicity
12th May 2009, 16:56
Thief 4 - Jeepers Keepers
or Super Thief 4 3D!:nut:

agrash
12th May 2009, 17:10
Thief 4: the unwritten chronicles
Thief 4: the Keeper of Darkness (got this from tomb raider: The Angel Of Darkness ^^)
Thief 4: the uncertain times
Thief 4: unforgiven

this is hard :/
And it should be something plotrelated like in the first 2 games imo :/

Elukka
12th May 2009, 18:00
Not anything generic, since it'd be pointless. I'd like a subtitle, and I'd like it to have to do with the plot, while also being a good hook. "The Metal Age", for example, just sounds interesting, while also having to do with the plot.
I don't have any exact suggestions, since I don't know anything of the storyline.

Watcheratthegatesofdusk
12th May 2009, 18:50
Thief 4
Shadows of the Keeper

abr4
12th May 2009, 18:59
Did you happen to see my suggestions, also on this page? :D

lol, nope XD

Hey atleast there's only one similar :D

Blue Sky
12th May 2009, 23:10
And some more...

Deadly Shadows 2: The Dark Age

Theif: The Illiterate Project

Thief: Y'know, the Medieval Version of Splinter Cell

Thi4f: You Think This Name Is Bad, You Wait For Thi5f

Thief 3: The Rewriting History Project

GmanPro
13th May 2009, 00:22
Thi4f: You Think This Name Is Bad, You Wait For Thi5f

I lol'd at that one

jhook
13th May 2009, 08:16
Bring some respect back to the series.

Thief IV: (something story related)

This is what it should be!

You must respect the storyline thus far. T1 T2, and T3 are now canon. It was referred to in T3 many times by the Keepers as "The Coming of the Dark Age", and that should be quite simple enough to label.

Thief 4, "The Dark Age"

Anything else will be against canon of the series. T3 led up to it all the way. T4 should pick up where everything left off. Also, T4 should hint at the coming of another age, or era for title respects to a possible T5. On.e thing I have noticed is that most of the Thief series had developments leading into the next series. T4 should be no different.

GmanPro
13th May 2009, 08:19
^^ I actually really like that title (assuming T4 takes place after T3). Its like mixing The Dark Project with the Metal Age. What could possibly go wrong amirite? :D

agrash
13th May 2009, 21:12
Thief IV: the beginning of a new trilogy

Blue Sky
13th May 2009, 21:22
Thief 4: Garrett's Now A Girl!

Thief 4: Not 4 Thieves...Buy A Copy

Thief 4: A New One Of Those Games Wot You Like

Thief 4: It's Like Saying 'See Saw' With A Lisp

Oh no, I just thought a better name for Deadly Shadows!

Thief 3: Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Get Back In The Water

Tohtori
13th May 2009, 23:52
"Deadly dark age" would be better for combined name or perhaps in proper order "Dark age shadows". Or maybe make it more action concentrated and name it "4 Thies 4 furious".

Anyway "Thief IV" is my suggestion. And I also support the "Thief IV: The unwritten times". It fits in the story.

Terr
14th May 2009, 00:57
I thought of the "Dark Age" referring to the breaking of the Keeper's power. In essence, it (and the earth-shaking changes) already happened by the end of T3. What was prophesied to happen during (rather than causing) this dark age, I wonder?

GmanPro
14th May 2009, 01:04
Thief IV: Deadly Shadows of Death and Darkness ... and Death

Durinda D'Bry
14th May 2009, 12:41
If they would success in main franchise principles: "Thief: Shadow of Dark Project, Metal Age and Deadly Shadows", if not "Thief: Robbing LA 2067":)

Seriously I prefer "Thief: Metal Age" title - it is very corresponding to plot, "Dark Project" was also good but "Deadly Shadow" was too generic, seems title appeared before story finished to design. I mean - do not call Thief 4 "Metal Age" again, just follow the story:)

Leshrac
14th May 2009, 12:52
- Thi4F is really lame to be honest.
- T4 would make it look like yet another terminator clone.
- Thief IV... hmm... well... Star Trek IV too...

Gaelic title ! Original and i don't think it's been done before :)

Thief : Ceithir (number 4 in scottish gaelic). Not only does it look unusual it will actually have people scratch their heads :D

I think it's better to have an usual title than use cliché crap like

Thief: The revenge, Thief: The [bs] Age, Thief: Reborn, Thief: Untold story, Thief: Darkness times, etc...

:):)

tender19
14th May 2009, 19:40
Thief: A tale of two cities. Dic.kens would love that.

Thieffanman
14th May 2009, 21:23
"Thief IV: A New Hope", quickly followed by "Thief V: The Empire Strikes Back" . . .

or has that been done before? :D

On a more serious note: "Thief IV: The Unwritten Times" and "Thief IV: The Dark Age" are winners. This game's storyline should follow Deadly Shadows because it was so *good*, and the possible storyline expansion with the final scenes where the kid almost pick's Garret's pocket should be explored.

--Thieffanman

Blue Sky
15th May 2009, 00:20
Thief 4: His Name Rhymes With Parrot

Thief 4: The Musical

Thief 4: The Isometric Real-Time Strategy Game

Thief 4: Better Than A Poke In The Eye With A Sharpened HB Pencil

Hypevosa
15th May 2009, 01:11
I don't know the plot, but assuming there's any major betrayal...

Thief 4: Honor Amongst Thieves

GmanPro
15th May 2009, 01:25
Thief 4: We Promise Your Health Doesn't Regenerate! We Learned Our Lesson!

Flashart
15th May 2009, 13:50
Thief IV: Black Night
Thief IV: The Longest Night
Thief IV: Eclipse
Thief IV: Darkness Falls
Thief IV: The Light In The Black
Thief IV: Night Watch
Thief IV: New Dawn
Thief IV: False Keeper

Platinumoxicity
15th May 2009, 14:41
Garrett in an underground city of the alien demon killer zombies from outer space!
Not really, just something I imagined a few years ago.
http://filesmelt.com/Imagehosting/pics/302c4176d70015a682d670b5ad3b2792.PNG
Made with Paint :)

Blue Sky
15th May 2009, 16:07
Oooh! "Depths of Darkness" is very good!

Doesn't really mean anything, but as a generic non-story-specific subtitle it's wonderful, and a lot better than the jarring "Deadly Shadows".

Your MS Paint rendition is brilliant, too, but why does the "4" look like an "E"? I don't understand! :confused:

Corvin25
18th May 2009, 15:28
We have no idea what the story is about, so how can we possibly think of a proper subtitle? :(

Why not just make the game "Thief IV" with the roman numeral system? Gamers aren't so uneducated that they won't know what "IV" means.

Well, here are some non story-specific subtitles. ;)

Thief IV: Riddles in the Dark (That pretty much sums up Garrett's life.)
Thief IV: Broken Silence (my favorite)
Thief IV: Tooth and Hammer (like Tooth (pagans) and Nail, except.... there's Hammers...... >_>)
Thief IV: The Unseen
Thief IV: The Invisible Hand
Thief IV: Cloak and Dagger
Thief IV: The Builder's Paradise
Thief IV: Secret Of The Eye (I'd like to know that myself.)

Alex50
18th May 2009, 17:22
this depends on of a plot line.
The Thief 1: dark project - a coming the epoch of the darkness and Chaos.
The Thief 2: metal age - a coming the epoch of the order and world Karrasa.
The Thief 3: deadly shadows - a keepers raddled in their own secret absorbed corruption in their own rows.
Hope "Thief: Garrettina" I shall not see :D possible
Thief: "dark gambit" , "Between light and dark", "illuminating Shade", "BadBalance", "stealthy in shade" and much others

Platinumoxicity
18th May 2009, 18:00
Legend of Thief: Twilight Business :D

Herr_Garrett
19th May 2009, 05:31
Thief - The Video Game
Thief II - The Wrath of Gamall
Thief III - The Search for Artemus
Thief IV - The Voy4ge to South Qu4rter
Thief V - The Final Glyph
Thief VI - The Undiscovered Loot

City Trek...

WVI
19th May 2009, 05:36
Eidos will break convention by retitling it as

The Fourth Thief Game

And everyone cheered.

tender19
21st May 2009, 10:03
I think, that would be awesome, if "Thief" would be the last word of the title.

Like Once a Thief :D

Blue Sky
21st May 2009, 10:34
Thief 4: Look Who's Thieving Now!

Thief 4: Now With 4th Person Perspective

Thi4f: Pretend It's Spelled Correctly And Get Over It

Thief 4: Once, Twice, Three, Four Times The Lady Thief

BlooferLady
26th May 2009, 00:55
Thief 3: Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Get Back In The Water

:lol:

MasterTaffer
26th May 2009, 01:55
I can't even begin to suggest a title until I have an inkling of what the story is about. Deadly Shadows was a pretty bad name, and I've always thought "The Dark Age" would have worked very well. But I can just chalk it up to the list of things Ion Storm did wrong with DS.

I still like the game, but I readily admit it's flawed.

Herr_Garrett
26th May 2009, 05:28
What with the connexions between Thief & Dark Camelot and whatnot... How about The Once and Future Thief?:D

theBlackman
5th Jul 2009, 23:21
I think it should be something like this, if they want to use the 4.

jtr7
5th Jul 2009, 23:25

theBlackman
5th Jul 2009, 23:30
Thanks JT, I really have a huge dislike for that THI4F image. It isn't even a fake out LEET or TEXTING usage.

jtr7
6th Jul 2009, 01:29

theBlackman
6th Jul 2009, 01:34
I like it. I have not the skills with graphic applications to do things as nicely.

How about using the Brush stroke logo and just take the leg off the bottom of the H. Leave the rest exactly as it is,heading this page (no 4, of course) and just drop the leg.

I really like the typeface and, from my perspective it would work... With the color of course.

jtr7
6th Jul 2009, 01:51

theBlackman
6th Jul 2009, 02:00
Yes. That's perfect. :thumb::thumb:

Fatherwoodsie
6th Jul 2009, 02:02
looks cool but why the unfinished H?

theBlackman
6th Jul 2009, 02:07
THIEF 4.. The H is the 4. You like the THI4F better? If you read, as you should, always, the four or five posts above where you pop in, the conversations are easier to follow and understand, and mostly would answer the question you did not need to ask.

And even as L337 the 4 makes no damn sense at all as a replacement for the E. The broken H works a lot better.

jtr7
6th Jul 2009, 02:11

TheEye
6th Jul 2009, 10:17
every other game had a subtitle so i think thief 4 should have one too. don't worry anyway they are bound going to change it. i just hope its good like the previous games and dosen't give away the ending.

also lets hope that eidos DON'T mess too much with the title and turn it from Thief into Taffer-man or something.

jtr7
6th Jul 2009, 10:49

Hamadriyad
6th Jul 2009, 12:51
Like this?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/jtr7/T4iefLogo.jpg

Much much better.

xDarknessFallsx
6th Jul 2009, 15:44
Thief IV: Black Night
Thief IV: The Longest Night
Thief IV: Eclipse
Thief IV: Darkness Falls
Thief IV: The Light In The Black
Thief IV: Night Watch
Thief IV: New Dawn
Thief IV: False Keeper
Not sure why, but this one seems perfect to me... :lol:

Actually, I was going to recommend Thief IV: The Dark Age and then saw it in a while back in this thread, so my vote would go to that! Even without any info on the story EM might use, there is just so much you could do with a title like that. In fact, EM could focus on building quality levels first and THEN worry about fleshing out a story using this title :)

The Thief 4 logo directly above (with the 'h' as a '4') is nice -- maybe even better than Th4f --but I'd prefer the roman numeral be used after the word "Thief" (e.g., Thief IV) to be consistent with the T1/T2 logos.

Hamadriyad
6th Jul 2009, 16:11
Thief IV:Unwritten Times.

tarhiel
6th Jul 2009, 16:14
Thief: (something related to story) - that should be it, as it was stated several times before.

I came up only with: "Thief IV: The beginning of the end" or "Thief IV: New Era (NOT new age!!!)"

esme
6th Jul 2009, 16:52
Thi4f : teh l33t 4g3 graettt 4 the w!!!!111111one

:mad2:

xDarknessFallsx
6th Jul 2009, 16:55
I recommend T4I4F

esme
6th Jul 2009, 16:57
Thi4f : Garrett gets a car with a personalised numberplate

Fatherwoodsie
6th Jul 2009, 18:24
thief IV: revenge of the eye

jtr7
6th Jul 2009, 22:44

xDarknessFallsx
7th Jul 2009, 01:46
Thief IV: Feiht (pronounced 'Fate')

Hypevosa
7th Jul 2009, 02:13
Like this?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/jtr7/T4iefLogo.jpg

Ironically enough, that's exactly what I was thinking of around half an hour ago "Why didn't they just use the H?

I don't like how it just seems cut off... personally I'd want to put something there... I was thinking a barely visible outline of a hood, and then maybe a slight blue glow of the mechanical eye. Make something break the H. I'll try and make my own image, if someone wouldn't mind trying out themselves (you can probably do better)...

Hypevosa
7th Jul 2009, 02:59
Alrighty then, I'm done.

Here's the logo the way it should be, no 4 for an e.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/Hypevosa/Newthieflogo.jpg

Here's the logo the way I think it should be, where the h is the 4 instead, and someone's makin it that way....

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/Hypevosa/Thief4logowithgarrettcopy.jpg

Whatd'ya think? is it an improvement?

I used this image (http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/71789_thief2.jpg) to make the Garrett in the second logo

jtr7
7th Jul 2009, 03:28

xDarknessFallsx
7th Jul 2009, 03:59
Not bad. I still think it'd be better to just go with Thief IV. Some non-tafficionados might see it and just think it's the original Thief (maybe they'd think the 'h' is smudged/scratched out, or their mind still reads it as an 'h')... Thus, loss of potential sales.

Arkanis
7th Jul 2009, 04:12
I strongly feel it NEEDS to be Thief IV: *Whatever name*, or atleast just "Thief IV". Thi4f looks so stupid, and honestly just discourages me, and I'm sure many others, thinking it's going to be a god-awful game designed for the kiddie audience. Kind of like the Twin Autobots in Transformers 2.

Clearly we can't think of a secondary part of the title because we don't know the plot, but people should be aware that yes, this is the fourth installment. Why would they try to hide it in Thief 3? Especially with such a dumb title. We don't need garbage assassin themes to throw off the Thief legacy.

theBlackman
7th Jul 2009, 04:17
I agree with Ark... Thief IV at least. That THI4F is the dumbest I have seen in years.

If the 4 must be in the title in one form or another it should not ever, ever be that stupid looking THI4F.

As clumsy as the truncated H is it is not half as annoying as that 4 replacing the E.

jtr7
7th Jul 2009, 04:41

Hypevosa
7th Jul 2009, 04:44
Not to mention yet another replacement of the original perfectly good "E", indicating yet another departure in another dubious direction.

One intro or cutscene-like scenario I keep thinking on is someone running up to the wooden door of a residence and carving "THIEF" into the door of the accused with a cheap blade as the first step of retribution. It's not Garrett's door, but like the "Scarlet Letter", someone's been called out for their crimes.

I like that idea alot. Imagining that scene makes me feel rather satisfied.at it.

Platinumoxicity
7th Jul 2009, 10:48
This would be cool for the end of an intro video. The camera moves to a spot in the rainy City where the light from the windows reflects from the wet street forming the title T4IEF. Badly represented here.
http://filesmelt.com/Imagehosting/pics/8983188f05c2ee1f61d264d0192acaf5.PNG

Hamadriyad
7th Jul 2009, 11:01
This would be cool for the end of an intro video. The camera moves to a spot in the rainy City where the light from the windows reflects from the wet street forming the title T4IEF. Badly represented here.
http://filesmelt.com/Imagehosting/pics/8983188f05c2ee1f61d264d0192acaf5.PNG

Good idea.

Pieter888
7th Jul 2009, 11:46
Thief IV
-The Plague-

PS: kinda like THI4F to...

xDarknessFallsx
8th Jul 2009, 05:40
Just playin some more...

Thief IV: Gamma Man

[PT] Garret [PT]
10th Jul 2009, 18:05
thief IV : Shadows of Revenge

Platinumoxicity
10th Jul 2009, 18:20
Thief 4: (additional title)

The opening flavor text:

"in thief iv the girl on the last cutscene in thief 3 dies in thief 4 at the beggining of the game she ran on a building the building was so old that a part of it broke that part was when she steped on it she falled and she died but at that old building there were many many ghosts traped that they make a mess in the building thats how the girl dies but there are many ways that she could have been died."

-clock12345, Eidos Thi4f forums. :D

Fatherwoodsie
10th Jul 2009, 18:32
Thief 4: curse of the glyph

Direlord
10th Jul 2009, 22:20
We can't leave out the first game... :p
So, "Dark Shadows of the Metal Age", then? :D

I jest. If there is to be an additional subtitle it needs to be completely different to the others, imo.

Shadows of the Metal Dark Age

Thief 4 Taffers Treasure
Thief 4 Silent and Deadly
Thief 4 What happens in the shadows stays in darkness.
Thief 4 Burrick with a match
Thief 4 Mechanists Revenge
Thief 4 Pagans and Hammerites unite!
Thi4f The title that shall live in infamy.
Thief 4 Stephen Russell hath returned
Thief 4 To correct the mistakes of 3
Thief 4 Glyphs Revenge
Thief 4 The next Generation

jtr7
10th Jul 2009, 23:50

Herr_Garrett
12th Jul 2009, 06:30
Thief VI should be: Garrett and the Deadly Shallows.

hexhunter
12th Jul 2009, 12:20
Either Thief IV: The Dark Age or Thief IV: The Light Age...

FriendlyStranger
12th Jul 2009, 12:30
Maybe "The Golden Age" ... sounds intriguing
Or "Garrett Rising" ^^
The Dark Project 2? Or Garrett: The Early Years, The Autum Years

Thief 4: Planet Of The Apebeasts
Thief 4: Burrick Perversity
Thief 4: For A Fistful Of Craymen

@Platinum I love the idea with the "Thief" reflexion in the water - that's how it should be done, or at least in a similar way.

Fatherwoodsie
12th Jul 2009, 20:22
id have to go with the unwritten times

Nothke
12th Jul 2009, 21:11
lol, this reminded me of star wars:

Thief : The Burrics Manace
Thief: Attack of the Pagans
Thief: Revenge of the Hammerites
Thief: An Old Hope
Thief: The Trickster Strikes Back
Thief: Return of the Keepers

and Harry Potter:

Thief and the Stone from Markham's Isle
Thief and the Chamber of Secrets... Many of Them
Thief and the Prisoner of Cragscleft
Thief and the Chalice of Fire Elemental
Thief and Order of the Keepers
Thief and the Half-Blood Baron
Thief and Deadly Shadows (already used)

and I don't want to suggest anything, because its up to you devs, just keep it connected with story as in TDS and TMA, and no generic names like DS, and PLEAAAASE no standard one-word sequel names like:

Thief: Awakenings
Thief: Ressurection
Thief: Atonement
Thief: Legends
Thief: Revolution
Thief: Rising
Thief: Fall
Thief: Reloaded (remember matrix, so generic)
Thief: Dawn of Fallen (hm, actually this is not bad one... can refer to Keepers, but generic again)

gryphos
13th Jul 2009, 03:35
>>please get whoever slipped and put the 4 where the "E" is meant to be back

Maybe Garrett taffin stole it to show EM who's boss...

Seriously, if they include a subtitle, I think Unwritten Times is already strongly suggested as it has been so prominently mentioned. I'm not sure that it's the most interesting for marketing though.

Not as seriously, for those who want to make a tougher, deadlier Garrett and forego the stealthy part:
Thief IV: The Pillaging.

Platinumoxicity
13th Jul 2009, 07:39
>>please get whoever slipped and put the 4 where the "E" is meant to be back

You do mean "put the "E" back to where the "4" is" -right? :D

[PT] Garret [PT]
13th Jul 2009, 10:34
Should the new game be titled just "Thief IV", or should iit include a subtitle too?
Just for fun, share your T4 game subtitle suggestions... :D

in the end of TDS when the little girl tries to pickpocket Garret he says:

"You got talent...its no easy thing to ...see a KEEPER , expecially one who does not wich to be seen"

so, what about - Thief IV : Tales of a Keeper?

[PT] Garret [PT]
15th Jul 2009, 12:01
Thief 4: Now With 4th Person Perspective

haha that was cool

[PT] Garret [PT]
15th Jul 2009, 12:06
i vote for :

T4IEF: The Dark Age

darkmagicasorseer
12th Sep 2009, 18:32
Thief 4: Unseen Hand

darkmagicasorseer
12th Sep 2009, 18:37
Thief 4: Unseen Hand

It actually refers to the term 'invisible hand' where economist stated that the economy can regulate itself in balance and harmony and recover itself if there happens to be a recession. Which is proven till today not really true, there must be an intervention by the authorities to regulate them... Which is the same scenario in thief, the keepers are no longer in power to maintain balance, and they cannot rely on the invisible hand, the natural cause, to maintain balance of the factions...

Just an Idea...discuss with me...

evilblizz
12th Sep 2009, 19:24
i didn't read all the other posts.

Thief : Garrett's path.

Having numbers to a game name is stupid:P

Aceyalone7777
12th Sep 2009, 23:55
Thief 4: Taffin'
Thief 5: Burrick goes to school
Thief 6: 6 is a 9 upwards! Hurraaaayyyy!!!
Thief 7: ROFL
Thief 8:The lost fate of the red ruby of the enclaver pink dragon of the blue house up in the hill
Thief 9: Splinet Cell: Sam Fisher still's got it suxorzzz
Thief 10: l33t t4lk1n6 ann1vers4ry!
Thief 11: Garrett goes to Hollywood
Thief 12: Garret and the 7 dwarfs

Absinthe
13th Sep 2009, 00:06
As great and even funny some of the suggestions are, why not keep it simple? No subtitle, no number.

"Thief"

Done...

jtr7
13th Sep 2009, 00:25
If we are going to have the '4', then it should live up to the trilogy or blow it away, otherwise, drop the number.

Hecateus
13th Sep 2009, 00:49
Thief: The Noon of Knight
Thief: Mid-Knight

hmmm...

darkmagicasorseer
13th Sep 2009, 02:01
Thief: Crouching Taffer hidden Garrett...

esme
14th Sep 2009, 14:31
Thief : The Dawn of the Dark Ages

Thief : illitterate illuminati

Thief : Cry Havoc and Unglyph the Gates of the Gods

none of the above are to be taken in any way as serious comment ;)

Davehall380
14th Sep 2009, 19:45
Thief 4 - Guns, Rappers and Ho's

Admiral_Thrawn
15th Sep 2009, 03:57
just from the suggestion from theBlackman... Just did a quick stab at it.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/Admiral_Thrawn/thief.jpg

Cheers,
Admiral_Thrawn

jtr7
15th Sep 2009, 04:00
:thumb:

Maybe that'll appease those who thought this Garrett was too dark (accurate as it is):

:D

Hecateus
15th Sep 2009, 04:08
Thief: Fulcrum

(I always liked the titles to episodes of Blake 7)

jtr7
15th Sep 2009, 04:17
Thief 4: The Pendulum Swings
Thief 4: Hanging in the Balance

Admiral_Thrawn
15th Sep 2009, 07:21
:thumb:

Maybe that'll appease those who thought this Garrett was too dark (accurate as it is):

Bugger, must have missed that one. :P and I did read though the other pages. lol.
looks better than mine anyway :D

Cheers,
A_T

jtr7
15th Sep 2009, 07:46
Great minds think alike? :D

darkmagicasorseer
15th Sep 2009, 19:16

not really...

Hypevosa
15th Sep 2009, 20:08
It actually refers to the term 'invisible hand' where economist stated that the economy can regulate itself in balance and harmony and recover itself if there happens to be a recession. Which is proven till today not really true, there must be an intervention by the authorities to regulate them... Which is the same scenario in thief, the keepers are no longer in power to maintain balance, and they cannot rely on the invisible hand, the natural cause, to maintain balance of the factions...

Just an Idea...discuss with me...

That theory was headed by Smith...

I went over this last week in my economics class o.O

Anyone else find it really wierd how when you learn something new it ALWAYS manages to pop up at least once within a week of when you learned it? Or at least it always seems to happen to me.

And it's nice to see people reposting my work! :D

Thanks jtr and A_T

^_^

Hypevosa
15th Sep 2009, 20:11

Ah my friend, but fools seldom differ.

The question is, which are we?

jtr7
15th Sep 2009, 23:39
I think the pendulum swings back and forth, though I'd hope it sticks to the least foolish side more than the other. :p

mvs
16th Sep 2009, 12:58
Thief: A tale of two cities. Dic.kens would love that.

GENIUS. best so far. of course only applicable if there are two cities ... ;)

Davehall380
16th Sep 2009, 13:24
How about . . . . Thief: NOT deadly shadows?

imnotwelsh
17th Sep 2009, 12:22
T4444

esme
17th Sep 2009, 13:46
T4444garrett with polymetal alloy exoskeleton over living tissue he can morph his hand into simple shapes like keys for doors or a club for blackjacking, he can alter his colouration and shape at will for stealth .... sounds familiar but I can't quite put my finger on it :D

windwalker
17th Sep 2009, 15:15
Thief: Unwritten Times is very appealing.
I would also go for something like "blind balance" or "silent shift"
If the storyline would go as something entirely different: "golden call" or like?

matdmcc2
17th Sep 2009, 16:45
Thief 4: Better not be on consoles

Hecateus
18th Sep 2009, 04:12
Thief: Palimpsest

> Definition < (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/palimpsest)

darkmagicasorseer
19th Sep 2009, 08:19
Thief Bright Project

huzi73
23rd Sep 2009, 13:25
ALL TAKEN FROM TTLG...

thief: friendly shadows

thief: War of the Clans

thief: The hammer and the paw

thief: Stout's Revenge

thief: Unknown Secrets

thief: unseen darkness

thief: Black dangers

thief: Missing Loot

thief: Tiffers and Taffers

thief: Stupid Guards

thief: The lost cloak

thief: Return of the Rope arrows

thief: Swim lesson

thief: Where's my eye?

thief: stolen stuff

thief: Orlandzilla

thief: nothing

thief: the stolen purse

thief: the stone age

thief: big bad blackjack backstab

thief: the key

thief: where is my sword?

thief: keeping keepers

thief: Is that a Rope ?

thief: The Useless age

thief: Get yourself a Cloak

thief: A sword for a Dagger

thief: Taffers and Thieves

thief: There goes the Clocktower

thief: Choking Moss

thief: go to jail

thief: reloaded

thief: revolutions

thief: the fellowship of the rope

thief: the two taffers

thief: the return of the cloak

thief: Lootless

thief: A new house for Big G.

thief: the thiefless age

thief: A new rope

thief: Benny Strikes Back

thief: Benny Strikes Twice

thief: Search for the final taffer

thief: The big search for Orland's Body

thief: Gold and Giant orlands

thief: Thiefproof

thief: My dagger for a horse

thief: Is that a sword?? TRASH IT !!!

thief: Them woodsie folk

thief: Get rid of your eye

thief: the lost guard

thief: NO TITLE

thief: Bes you there lakspur

thief: a lesson of paganish

thief: hammer those heads

thief: stand and deliver

thief: 50 Loot (12%)

thief: A smack in the face

thief: blackgarrett

thief: Blackjack meets garrett

thief: Black market Bertha's Big Bad Blackjack Contest

thief: Private Posters

thief: A new cell for G.

thief: Harry Garett and the chamber of Loot

thief: Harry Garrett and the glyph broom

thief: Harry Garrett and the Taffer's Stone

Andersioh
23rd Sep 2009, 13:54
Thief IV: Revelations
or
Thief IV: Garrett
or
Thief IV: Mysteries

But it HAS to do with the story of ambience.

Anyway, as long as it is NOT Thi4f! :mad2:

darkmagicasorseer
26th Sep 2009, 00:49
Hey guys, do you recall what happen in TDS in the Kurshok Caverns aka. the Sunken Citadels? One of the readings (books I have read) mentioned about how the fish people want to rise again to the surface to fight against the "Leafty Lord" (I presumed the Trickster) an yet there is no sign of these opponents in the later levels... How about making them the main antagonist and make the title name based on that? I have no cool names to make yet based on this (fish people) theme. But here goes...

Thief: The Sunken City

darkmagicasorseer
26th Sep 2009, 00:50
ALL TAKEN FROM TTLG...

thief: friendly shadows

thief: War of the Clans

thief: The hammer and the paw

thief: Stout's Revenge

thief: Unknown Secrets

thief: unseen darkness

thief: Black dangers

thief: Missing Loot

thief: Tiffers and Taffers

thief: Stupid Guards

thief: The lost cloak

thief: Return of the Rope arrows

thief: Swim lesson

thief: Where's my eye?

thief: stolen stuff

thief: Orlandzilla

thief: nothing

thief: the stolen purse

thief: the stone age

thief: big bad blackjack backstab

thief: the key

thief: where is my sword?

thief: keeping keepers

thief: Is that a Rope ?

thief: The Useless age

thief: Get yourself a Cloak

thief: A sword for a Dagger

thief: Taffers and Thieves

thief: There goes the Clocktower

thief: Choking Moss

thief: go to jail

thief: reloaded

thief: revolutions

thief: the fellowship of the rope

thief: the two taffers

thief: the return of the cloak

thief: Lootless

thief: A new house for Big G.

thief: the thiefless age

thief: A new rope

thief: Benny Strikes Back

thief: Benny Strikes Twice

thief: Search for the final taffer

thief: The big search for Orland's Body

thief: Gold and Giant orlands

thief: Thiefproof

thief: My dagger for a horse

thief: Is that a sword?? TRASH IT !!!

thief: Them woodsie folk

thief: Get rid of your eye

thief: the lost guard

thief: NO TITLE

thief: Bes you there lakspur

thief: a lesson of paganish

thief: hammer those heads

thief: stand and deliver

thief: 50 Loot (12%)

thief: A smack in the face

thief: blackgarrett

thief: Blackjack meets garrett

thief: Black market Bertha's Big Bad Blackjack Contest

thief: Private Posters

thief: A new cell for G.

thief: Harry Garett and the chamber of Loot

thief: Harry Garrett and the glyph broom

thief: Harry Garrett and the Taffer's Stone

Thief: Marla and Garrett One night stand

Absinthe
17th Oct 2009, 16:06
I was wearing my brand new Thief shirt to work yesterday. The most common reaction was: "Huh? What does that mean??". I think that's perfect proof that "Thi4f" doesn't work...

Change please!!!

Quad
18th Oct 2009, 21:05
Annacond4
Die H4rd
T4XI (hey wait, this one is real)
St4r Trek
Spiderm4n
Leth4l We4pon
Indian4 Jones
Wing Comm4nder
Monkey Isl4nd
Thi4f
St4r W4rs

I don't believe any of those was amusing or don't even work. It's as if something is pulled inside and wants to come out. It just doesn't feel good. But still I can see on top of this page "Thi4f" and devs wearing t-shirts with the very same logo......

What about :

"Thief - Albedo" (lightreflection on surfaces)
"Thief - Enceladus" (brightest moon of Saturn, just reads nicely and is kinda mysterious)
"Thief - Atrum Luna" (Dark moon in latin), might as well be "Thief - Dark Moon"
"Thief IV" (it means it's the fourth installment of Thief and with "IV" it means it's going to be a true T2 successor)
"Thief 4" (I think it means it's the fourth installment of Thief and with "4", it means it's going to be the follow-up of TDS)

"Thief - Prophecy"
"Thief - Viktoria's Secret" .....kinky, but it's with "k" and not "c"

Psychomorph
18th Oct 2009, 21:29
I was wearing my brand new Thief shirt to work yesterday. The most common reaction was: "Huh? What does that mean??". I think that's perfect proof that "Thi4f" doesn't work...

Change please!!!
Haha, that's a good one. Beat the marketing guy in the guts!!

negative_len
21st Jun 2010, 20:37
It is highly likely that, when Thief 4 comes out, it will have a shiny new subtitle. Obviously, to some extent that subtitle will depend on the content of the game itself (and more particularly, its general atmosphere and story), but as subtitles have proven over the years, that doesn't necessarily have to be. "The Dark Project," superb as it sounds, could easily have fitted to dozens of other thiefy storylines, "The Metal Age" less so. "Deadly Shadows" is as generic as you can get, and it didn't even come out on the abbreviated platform.

What should Thief 4: (subtitle) be?

Hypevosa
21st Jun 2010, 20:41
I remember another thread with this from a year ago. There's alot of funny ones people came up with.

I think :The Unwritten Times, was probably the one that would make most sense given thief cannon.

negative_len
21st Jun 2010, 20:48
Ah. I did a quick forum search but didn't come up with anything. Oh well, maybe the EM developers never read it either. Shall we start anew? Or I sense a possible merger. We'll see.

jtr7
21st Jun 2010, 21:04
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88487

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=42924

negative_len
22nd Jun 2010, 03:38
There aren't very many serious suggestions in those threads... how about making this thread for at least fairly serious suggestions. Maybe something that conjures an image of how we'd like Thief 4 to be.

The Unwritten Times is very good.

The Rust Age
Ersatz Prophecies
Golden Fingers (okay, maybe not)
The Best and the Last
Beyond the Realms of Prediction
Stolen Memories :hmm:
The Lost Ages
The Seam of Time

Well, they aren't terrible. I'll update this post as needed if any others occur to me.

xDarknessFallsx
22nd Jun 2010, 03:50
I think Thief IV: The Dark Age is the best choice, bar none.

jtr7
22nd Jun 2010, 04:09
It is the most factual and precise, and some of us like the symmetry of Dark Project Metal Age, aside from how Dark Age refers to limited knowledge and limited literacy, and a whole faction was plunged into the "Third Dark Age" called the "Unwritten Times" and "End of Words". I wonder though, Len, if for many of the suggestions, you can really tell which suggestions are serious or not without the author stating so? For instance, I could find much amusement or a lack of serious attempt in your own list, especially looking at the multiple patterns and recycled themes presented in the canon.

Tryst
22nd Jun 2010, 04:31
1. Uncertain Future.
Since there are no more writings of events that are about to happen, nobody is certain what the future holds for them.

2. Garretts Freedom.
He's now free to follow his own path and not one foretold in writings... or is he?

3. Prophecy's End.
No more prophecies to bind everyone into a predetermined path.

negative_len
22nd Jun 2010, 16:38
I wonder though, Len, if for many of the suggestions, you can really tell which suggestions are serious or not without the author stating so? For instance, I could find much amusement or a lack of serious attempt in your own list, especially looking at the multiple patterns and recycled themes presented in the canon.

Well, it depends on the level of seriousness. Golden Fingers, for example, I think would be an excellent more cheery subtitle, except for the fact that it unfortunately shares a similarity with an extremely famous James Bond movie. One or both words could be changed to similar ones to make it more appropriate. Stolen Memories is silly but I kind of like it. Undoubtedly it would be a better mission title, along the lines of Killing Time in TDS.

I do think that many, perhaps the majority, of the suggestions in the two linked topics are unambiguously jokey (and funny), although there are some good serious ones in there too.

Hypevosa
22nd Jun 2010, 17:43
See, what we don't know is that the cataclysmic event caused by the erasure or the glyphs and annihilation of their magic didn't only cause those books to be erased... but every symbol painted/marked on any surface on the whole of the planet (or at least the city) was also removed. Thus, the unwritten times, and another dark age.

I have a funny image of a middle aged man sitting in a chair reading a gigantic book, and then he turns to the page to the next chapter "Final Chapter" and watches as the ink sublimes into nothingness. Panic, horror, frustration, anger.

Platinumoxicity
22nd Jun 2010, 18:26
See, what we don't know is that the cataclysmic event caused by the erasure or the glyphs and annihilation of their magic didn't only cause those books to be erased... but every symbol painted/marked on any surface on the whole of the planet (or at least the city) was also removed. Thus, the unwritten times, and another dark age.

I have a funny image of a middle aged man sitting in a chair reading a gigantic book, and then he turns to the page to the next chapter "Final Chapter" and watches as the ink sublimes into nothingness. Panic, horror, frustration, anger.

Haha. :D

And for those who didn't get that it's a joke... No, the final glyph removed all the keeper glyphs. The ones that were used in writing the prophecies, and the ones that were used to manipulate keeper magic. The final glyph didn't affect any normal letters.

But since most people who only focus on specific parts of the end tend to draw silly conclusions like that, I suppose it could really be possible that Garrett made the whole world's written works disappear. Afterall, it's got the same amount of evidence as Garrett not being the protagonist in T4, and Orland being the transvestite sister of Viktoria, so it must be entirely possible. :rolleyes:

Hypevosa
22nd Jun 2010, 19:01
you can only refute me if you find evidence in the last cut scene that there are any written words left (such as a street sign or a poster or something).

Until then it remains a possibility given that they would need to be sure that it was all erased. It would be like nuking an ant hill... though I guess if that anthill was full of radioactive ants that would threaten to destroy all life on earth...

lol.

I just can't get the look I have on the guy's face out of my head - it just makes me laugh.

Platinumoxicity
22nd Jun 2010, 22:31
you can only refute me if you find evidence in the last cut scene that there are any written words left (such as a street sign or a poster or something).

Oh, sorry. I stand corrected. :D Maybe the glyph did destroy all the written text in all physical surfaces, even the texts that were being written at the exact moment, and also made all the sand grains that were once part of a stone surface that was engraved with text travel back and reattach to those stone surfaces.

But I still think it sounds silly. And I guess that's exactly your point. :)

jtr7
22nd Jun 2010, 23:05
The Final Glyph caused the Great Nothing to bring a temporary end to The NeverEnding Story!

So, Thief 4: Neverending Story
Thief 4Ever

xDarknessFallsx
23rd Jun 2010, 05:29
Thief IV: Loot Finger
Thief IV: The Last Looter
Thief IV: Lootylicious
Thief IV: The Plastic Age

PS: Jtr7, if Garrett had a quest to hunt the Purple Buffalo or visit the Southern Oracle, I would be in heaven.

Hypevosa
23rd Jun 2010, 08:07
:D yes, I was meaning to be somewhat silly.

But at the same time I'm going to go watch the TDS ending cut scene and see if I can find any evidence of writing being left - or if there really is that small chance that the glyph nuked all scribed/etched symbols for the sake of thoroughness.

God help them if that's the case XD

s guy
24th Jun 2010, 00:16
Don't buy any tips in the load-out, just in case! :nut:

Hypevosa
24th Jun 2010, 02:13
hahaha, I'm not saying it was permanent but that in that instant it was all erased - since the glyphs and their magic are gone it would have no effect on current writing.

jtr7
24th Jun 2010, 02:20
They can write, just not useful Glyphs, the shapes alone wouldn't be imbued with power, and the Prophecies needed an Interpreter who would sacrifice life-force to do so, and had a Translator to cut the time of communicating to others down to save life-force and allow better concentration. The Final Glyph itself wasn't erased, but I wonder if portions of it were, nullifying it, and I wonder if the Artifact map matches the changes.

Hypevosa
24th Jun 2010, 02:48
Actually, couldn't the "final glyph" actually have been the first as well?

When scribed (or erected in this case) it causes glyph magic to be accessible in the area it's found.

The artifacts could have simply been used a means of interrupting the glyph's magic, like taking an eraser and running it through strategic points on a letter so it's indecipherable. Interrupting the glyph resulted in a backlash that caused the glyphs to be erased, while its interruption caused the access to the magical energies to be impossible again as well.

We've never been given any story about the outside of the city really with respect to the keepers ... were there keepers in other places, or at least people with access to glyph magic?

if so what happened to them with the activation of the final glyph?

I don't recall any evidence of glyph magic outside the city really, so is there reason to believe that it works(ed) out there?

jtr7
24th Jun 2010, 03:06
This is why I don't want it restored while Garrett's around, or for generations to come, so the intent of removing the Glyphs "forever" isn't a load of scarum. Also, it sounds desperate.

I'd rather find out what it was that the ancient Keeper Order was formed for, and what they were dedicated to preventing, and why they needed to be secret, and I'd like it if it was indeed noble, because it's too easy to make it Illuminati conspiracy-like.

Hypevosa
24th Jun 2010, 03:57
Thief 5 intro (the voice speaking sounds like an older Garrett, the cut scenes look like those from TMA):

The camera pans from a sun lit sky to an overhead of a beautiful coastline with farmland and houses along the shore. A seagul blocks the camera for a second and it pans to a farmer tilling a field, others working busily in the background, the first wiping sweat from his brow and looking to the sun.

"It wasn't the final glyph...."

The farmer begins to push the plow again, and reaching the edge of the field a faint blue glow is seen behind him, he turns and the camera goes from behind his back to above his head as it rises over the field.

"... it was the first."

The farmers are all shown rushing into their houses - panicking as the camera zooms out to reveal the final glyph in all its glory, accidentally carved into the earth by the farmers working the fields - it fades into a darker grey, showing the city we all know and love.

"The keepers didn't create it..."

The camera goes down to level showing men in cloaks speaking with a large partly bald man, looking over what appears to be a map or a blueprint and pointing at buildings and arguing with eachother.

"...they preserved it.,, and it's secrets."

A pouch of gold is seen passing from the cloaked men to the bald man, the argument is silenced - a smile is given in return for the gold and the document is ripped in half and cast into the water, the camera looking up from the river to show that the document is depicting the addition of new bridges to gap the river (which would alter the glyph if placed).

"The keepers hid the glyphs from the people for a reason..."

The camera is shown darkness - moves right, depicting a scholar who is brushing dust/dirt out of hieroglyphs etched in an ancient stone surface.

",,,,but just as it was found before..."

The camera moves to behind the brush as dirt is brushed out of one of the engravings, revealing what we know as the final glyph with various other symbols around it. The man pulls out a piece of paper and begins to make a rubbing of it. The camera moves to a torch lit tent and shows the scholar at his desk, examining his rubbing with a blank journal on his desk and an ink pen in hand. He begins to write.

"Someone found it again."

As the scholar makes the final stroke to complete the final glyph - the glyph is inscribed and bright blue energy erupts from it. The camera changes to show the scholar's face as it slowly zooms in towards his eyes, shining with the light erupting from the glyph, and as it gets closer, seemingly dozens of small glyphs are seen moving about in his eyes.

The camera moves to the classically darkened rooftop, a hooded figure is seen overlooking a street.

"What's it have to do with me?"

The hooded figure is shown rappelling into an open window (more classic). Upon creeping forward one of the floor boards creaks.

"Well..."

The hooded man turns to see an older gentleman stand up from a chair and pull a forged metal glyph from his belt, which he raises in the air, causing a light to emanate from it, the camera shows an over the shoulder view from behind the old man, the light showing no one in the room. The camera shows the hooded figure is crouched down behind a barrel hiding in its shadow.

"... my job just got alot more interesting."

*rocking music like from TDP insues as various scenes of conflict found in the game are depicted, Garrett running from guards, glyphs being tossed at him, a lockpick moving around for tumblers and accidentally interrupting a glyph etched into one of its walls that erupts into flames and other things, finally showing the thief 5 title screen*

:D Sorry, went on a bit of a creative tangent there.

Garrett's job would be alot more interesting if everyone had access to glyph magic....

Hypevosa
24th Jun 2010, 04:04
I think it would be very appropriate for the keepers to have been created to simply guard the world from the glyphs. Eventually that became perverted into using the glyphs to guard the world from itself, finally ending with the keepers using the glyphs to promote their own agendas.

That would also be supported by the TDS storyline - since Gamal had full intent of sharing all the secrets of the glyphs with everyone (based on her writings). This was why she had to be stopped.

jtr7
24th Jun 2010, 04:20
Except, Keepers are forbidden from using a lot of powerful Glyphs, even healing Glyphs, and Keepers are considered imbalanced and corrupt if they give in to the "temptation of the Glyphs". The Door Glyph is the primary one, and if you look at what the ancient Keepers did to make the Final Glyph, and the Pact with the Sentients to lock it, to prevent corruption, it doesn't add up

Interesting as it is, and as fun a concept as it is for a story, there would be almost no stealth and he'd have to be drawing Binding Glyphs all the damned time to cancel all the Glyph securities and Glyph-powered AIs and to stop doors from appearing right next to him through walls with AIs bursting out, and he'd probably need to change his name to Duke Nukem. :p

The devs painted the Keepers' story into a corner, and the best story is one that doesn't cheat or look for ways to undo it--but keep up the fan-fic, it's pretty good in and of itself.

Hypevosa
24th Jun 2010, 04:39
Except, Keepers are forbidden from using a lot of powerful Glyphs, even healing Glyphs, and Keepers are considered imbalanced and corrupt if they give in to the "temptation of the Glyphs". The Door Glyph is the primary one, and if you look at what the ancient Keepers did to make the Final Glyph, and the Pact with the Sentients to lock it, to prevent corruption, it doesn't add up

And that's why the glyphs needed to disappear did they not? The keepers did become corrupt, or at least enough of them that the order was beyond saving. The power of the glyphs is too much for humanity to suffer... imagine for a moment, giant warehouses where there's nothing there but slaves of all ages scribing - attempting to discover new new glyphs, or making prophecies. The government or wealthy using said prophesies to their advantage to find business, predict enemy troop movements, arrest people before crimes are committed. Rich aristocrats buying young boys and girls, then using their essence to retain their own youth. Warring between lords over not gold, but newly discovered glyphs that perpetually change the balance of power within the city.

Glyphs are too much for the world to handle - and it would make sense if the ancient keeper order understood that, and formed for the sole purpose of protecting the world from them. Should they have ever been discovered by an outsider, the keeper order would have been the best way to eliminate it since they have far more knowledge and ability concerning the subject.

Keeping the secret of the final glyph actually being the one that allows for access to the magic would be essential, lest the glyph magic become portable and universally accessible. Creating and using the sentients as an eventual means of destroying it would be a logical failsafe, and by perpetuating that it was an incomplete/locked glyph that needed activation to destroy all the glyph magic and glyphs would be the perfect way to make sure that no one within the order tried to recreate that glyph, and that the order would believe they were gone forever and not pursue them - tying the magic down to one location, and keeping the corrupted from attempting to access it on their own.

EDIT: The game could still be entirely stealth focused - it's just the repercussions of carelessness are far more immediate and dire. Having glyph trapped locks would only mean that trying to force the lock, or improperly picking it would result in problems. The glyphs don't need to be something Garrett uses (lest he corrupt himself), but just another obstacle to be overcome.

negative_len
24th Jun 2010, 11:48
I played all three games, loved their storytelling and narration, and honestly barely cared about this stuff. I do wonder what EM will choose to focus on though.

Anyway, still thinking up titles...

Platinumoxicity
24th Jun 2010, 14:52
The following is off topic

(trying to justify the preservation of the glyphs after their destruction by the Final Glyph)

Might I ask why you insist on having the glyphs or the keepers for that matter to play any part in Thief 4? Garrett hated the keepers and thought that he could live his life without them, and he was reintroduced to them in the Dark Project. He said "Garrett is done." and tought that was the end of that. Until he was again reintroduced to them in the Metal Age. Do we really want them to keep appearing because they have some urgent business with Garrett? I really think it's getting really old.

And the glyphs were not even mentioned before TDS. Why does everyone hold them to such high regard? Just like the Trickster and Karras, they were a central part of the specific installment. They came, Garrett got rid of them and next it's time for something else. I know many fans love the Keepers and their works, but it's not always a happy ending for everyone and everything. I mean, the Eye... a mysterious sentient entity with powers so vast that a (so-called) god couldn't finish his master plan without it. And it was reduced to being a disposable key in the scheme made up by some old librarians. I would have liked for the Eye to make a bit more exciting return, but it can't be helped now. Just like with the Keepers, having the Eye return as some important plot device in Thief 4 would be redundant.

Hypevosa, this is not directly related to the thread, but I'm interested to know your view on the Keepers and their status in the story of the trilogy. I'm not going to garble up this thread with irrelevant stuff so I'll PM it to you. :)

Hypevosa
24th Jun 2010, 20:55
If you looked at the intro I said to thief 5, I agree that they shouldn't appear in thief 4, it would be like backhanding Ion Storm's story writers (despite how some would like to). However, I feel that one could, indeed, create a story that brings the glyphs back (as I have) - I didn't bring the keepers back into the picture, though they could justifiably return - and I'm not saying they NEED to return, or even that the glyphs do for that matter.

The glyphs were mentioned in TDP. They littered the intro and a few of the cutscenes where a scribe was seen with the morphing ink, producing an undesirable prophecy (the keepers' corruption is first evident all the way back here with the man tearing and crumpling a page and hiding it in his desk drawer). In TDP (or maybe it's just gold?) there's the whole sequence with the keeper compound in old quarter where the glyphs' capacity for magic, not just prophesy, is displayed, along with the elemental keys and the fact that the keepers were the ones to seal the place where the eye was using the magic of the glyphs.

The in fact it was only TMA that largely had little to do with the glyphs and their magic at all.

As for the eye, it explicitly told Garrett that their fates were intertwined and that when it was all over that it would come back for his other eye. Unless you just blocked out all his ramblings when you were stealing him, you got the picture that he wasn't planning on just disappearing once he was used as a key, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if The Eye was a key facet in thief 4 for this reason... Oooh wow... imagine what would happen if the baron got his hands on that...

This will be my last post on this thread as well given the subject, you're right, it is off topic. I'll respond to your PM, and if you want to respond to this post, do so there (anyone else wanting to respond PM as well).

Rieknor
25th Jun 2010, 20:37
I like "Thief IV" or "Thief 4" I'd like a subtitle, but i cant tell you one becouse it should be keeping with the game's plot.

xDarknessFallsx
25th Jun 2010, 23:22
I can't wait 'til the 50th version of Thief comes out, so we could say, Thief L: The Golden Age

...or the 100th version, Thief C: Diamonds are Forever

s guy
26th Jun 2010, 01:05
I would very much like it if, as you progress through the game, you learn about the history of the City, especially the mysterious parts. It Shouldn't make it less mysterious, it should give information and details that raise more questions, but make sense in the end, only to leave you with more questions as a final piece is discovered.

It doesn't have to be the main plotline, but part of it. And, like the first 2 (well, actually, T3 got this right as well) games, it should never be explicitly said or narrated (sorry hypevosa) but revealed through things that, rather than saying what happened, say something that can only be true if X occurred, slowly allowing the player to find out about X.

jtr7
26th Jun 2010, 02:20
Yes!

Discovery and a revealing of the hitherto unknown, while throwing in even more exciting questions, all making the world and exploration of it more and more fascinating.

Garrett himself is a knowledge-hunter and he uses what he learns to enhance his favorite hobby (when it's not sucking him into a world of hurt). His voyeurism and eavesdropping Keeper skills point him toward more loot, and if he actually had the mind of a detective, he'd have avoided a lot of problems and solved others much quicker, but at least he's open to knowledge, even if he has a deficit of putting 2 and 2 together when it isn't counting money.

Nightwynd
29th Jun 2010, 12:59
So back to the "subtitle" q: what about...

Thief 4: I accidentally the whole City. Again
-----------------------------------------
Thief 4: Fate of Lost City
Thief 4: The Secret of Markham Island
Thief 4: Le... - Cpt. Markham's Revenge
Thief 4: The Curse of Markham Island

but seriously, i'd like to cast my vote on The Dark Age, too. Unwritten Times's great also. keep it up! :thumb:

Hypevosa
29th Jun 2010, 19:08
Actually didn't Constantine say he wanted to descend the world into darkness?

You don't think that by referring to if as "The Dark Age" they may have been implying a return for an expected sequel?

jtr7
29th Jun 2010, 19:24
Good point. Regardless, it should be chaos, but not corruption and imbalance, and I wonder what the Hammerites would do with the Keeper Compound, if they would be appalled, frightened, angry, embarrassed, envious, and recognize their hand in much of it. But no, darkness was only a major part of the end result of Con's plan, had it worked out, since what was intended to happen immediately before it was so much worse, and he planned to have the darkness hide the stuff of nightmares from the heart of the Maw. Darkness has been a fundamental of the games, and marketing could easily dispel strong Trickster connections. Otherwise we have to go with the euphemism of "Unwritten Times," but I like the sound of "End of Words" better.

elcman
29th Jun 2010, 19:31
Thief 4: Apprentice

:)

I would love to see a task based, interactive... somewhat gullible and actionable employ that the Keepers force upon Garrett. If he wants to part ways with the Keepers, they want someone skilled to take his place.

How the situation deteriorates from there... could be something else entirely. Honestly, having the game based specifically on advancing segments of the plot seems to build another linear story that feels scripted. It's ok when it is a good story, but when it feels like we're just advancing the plot incrementally... it's not as much fun.

Thief 2's wandering through cities was incredible and it narrowed as you progressed, but it didn't choke out the freedom within the gameplay...

Having an apprentice would offer some unique gameplay that could evolve around everything that came before from thief 1, 2 and 3. You could explain the history without requiring players to relive it. Even allow you to play old "maps" in the updated styles. You would be replacing yourself... and this is the candidate.

You could even use a command system that would allow you to give direction to your apprentice ... and how well you've acted with stealth could be how well he'll perform actions that you request. If you're run and gun, so will he. If you slaughter people (like in the difficulty settings) so will he. He emulates you and ... this could be bad (or good) for the final portions of the game. (When he ends up fulfilling another prophecy that... doesn't look so good for you. Balance is balance after all... both sides need an Agent of chaos.)

Anyway... I really loved this game, but I didn't play Thief 3. I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to. All I know is that Thief 2 was... absolutely incredible and I've played and replayed it.

jtr7
29th Jun 2010, 19:43
So, a reboot, reimagining, etc?

If not, no thanks, and imagination removes all scripted and forced extrapolation.

Asadar
29th Jun 2010, 19:59
Garrett has all glyphs disappear ... except one. The city itself is it not the ultimate Glyph? Garret has he not a key embedded on his skin?

Why not:

Thief - The Glyphs Age
Thief - The Glyphs Reign
Thief - Rise of the Glyphs

Or maybe no subtitles... "THI4F" is not bad after all.

jtr7
29th Jun 2010, 20:06
Then what was the point of everything that happened?

Platinumoxicity
29th Jun 2010, 20:42
Garrett has all glyphs disappear ... except one. The city itself is it not the ultimate Glyph? Garret has he not a key embedded on his skin?

Why not:

Thief - The Glyphs Age
Thief - The Glyphs Reign
Thief - Rise of the Glyphs

Or maybe no subtitles... "THI4F" is not bad after all.

That's an impressive troll. You almost had me convinced. :D

Asadar
29th Jun 2010, 20:53
Not necessarily ...

If I remember right (which is not proven, I confess), Keepers said the Glyphs had their own will, and that to be a Keeper, they must learn to control the glyphs to avoid let them take over thier mind.

And if the Glyphs were imprisoned? And if the city itself, the ultimate Glyph, was this prison?

Garret is the focal point of the most important prophecies of the Keepers. Why? Maybe because he was a Keeper and he is the only one to leave them, and have embraced the world in a fresh and unique look: A world with the Glyphs, but also with his own free will.
But the Glyphs have always followed him to the fulfillment of prophecy. And if it was their deep desire?
Garrett has finally released the Glyphs. But after? What will happen now they are gone?
It may be that in truth he has opened the doors of the origins of Glyphs. Older than the Keepers, the Hammerites and Pagans. Older than the city itself. And who knows, may be older than the lost city of Karrath Din itself.

Perhaps there was something worse that Constantine, Karras or Gamall. Maybe the Glyphs themselves do they have much "dark projects". Maybe they became the city. A city with its own will. His own traps and spies.

And now they are free.

Yet there is still a mark, a symbol. A key. And it is on the hand of a thief.

(Well I think I must stop here because I get carried away. :D)

Good night folks !

PS : Platinumoxicity, that is fun you said "impressive troll", because in French, it could mean "troll" as a celtic creature. And that is precisely my nickname ! Well, I shut up now...

jtr7
29th Jun 2010, 21:01
Not imprisoned. "Erased." "Unwritten". Their power was made to "unwind".

It's the "FINAL" Glyph. The "LAST" of "ALL" Glyphs. The Keepers are cast out to perish in the "Bleak Unwritten". These are the "Unwritten Times", the "Third Dark Age". And...AND...it was created to have this effect "forever". The fiction is clear on it.

The whole trilogy led up to that point, including Garrett's final assertion that he never wants to see the Glyphs again, so at least let him have one game's story where he gets his wish after all his years of wishing, and let him see the unintended consequences of it.

Platinumoxicity
29th Jun 2010, 21:02
Yet there is still a mark, a symbol. A key. And it is on the hand of a thief.

The mark symbolizes the fact that Garrett ultimately accepted what he had been all those years after he left the keepers. He was the one true Keeper that did what the Keepers could not. The false keepers that never got anything done were the lock. And when Garrett accepted that he was the key, he got the mark. That's why the keepers have always been portrayed with the Keyhole -symbol, and that's why Garrett is the Key -symbol.

The prophecies on this side of the door always led to Garrett (the key) opening the lock, and no prophecy tells us what's on the other side. But it doesn't matter. Once the door is open, nothing that the key or the lock do afterwards have any bearing on what we find on the other side.

...or maybe it's just a burnmark that came from the power of the final glyph. :

jtr7
29th Jun 2010, 21:30
I forgot to commend you, Asadar, for calling the symbol a "mark", and noticing it's not a Glyph. Although it likely means he has a key, or is a key, to locked knowledge or something, I not only would hope it wouldn't be Glyphs, but rather, lost knowledge no Keeper from the last century or more ever knew that is now more important than Glyphs, but, I would hope that what it also means for Garrett in the short term (T4), is that he's literally a marked man, branded.

Hypevosa
29th Jun 2010, 21:46
Garrett was the key all along - without him the prophecies would not have come true and the world would have ended.

You can also look at it as such:

The representation of the keepers is a lock - a keyhole. Ridding the keepers of their glyph magic and exposing them, Garrett has undone the keeper order, much like how turning a key in a lock undoes it and reveals whatever secrets it was hiding.