PDA

View Full Version : FORUM FEEDBACK - General Discussion (Launch/Design/Questions/Eidos Montreal etc.)

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 13:16
*Moderator Edit*

Use this thread to discuss anything regarding the forum itself or the studio, Eidos Montreal.

Seriously, Thief and l33t sp33k don't mix.

Subjective Effect
11th May 2009, 13:18
Stop being grumpy all over the net.

TheJoker
11th May 2009, 13:19
I think it looks pretty neat..

kin
11th May 2009, 13:21
I hope the ingame ideas are better than the title idea.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 13:21
I actually love it, it works well. :thumb:

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 13:23
I actually love it, it works well. :thumb:

That's your job.

René
11th May 2009, 13:27
It's just a working title for now. As you can see, we are using www.thief4.com and the name of this forum is Thief 4 not THI4F. So don't worry!

Thievingtaffer
11th May 2009, 13:27
I don't mind it. Could be better, but I'm certainly not complaining.

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 13:28
It's just a working title for now. As you can see, we are using www.thief4.com and the name of this forum is Thief 4 not THI4F. So don't worry!

I hope so. ;)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 13:30
That's your job.

On the contrary, I am a devoted Thief fan since the original game and a long-term member of TTLG forum. I express an honest opinion, always. :cool:

the resolute girl
11th May 2009, 13:31
if the maturity in designing the new title card is any indication of the design quality that went into the game we can be prepared for large-scale swordfights and female sidekicks with oversized porch all done with a context-sensitive one-button 3rd person camera control scheme.

Yo GARRETT, what's cookin' ?

just joking......will judge once the REAL info gets out. and I mean gameplay, not screenshots or prerendered trailers.

dark_angel_7
11th May 2009, 13:31
Its kind of grown on me actually! However I need to now go and play all 3 Thief games. :P

Orest Reinn
11th May 2009, 13:38
I registered only to protest against l33t speak.
No matter how well it looks for average gamer, almost none of Thief players use such a tounge and probably most of us find it disgusting. It's because of specific quiet and serious climax of that game, such different from typical atmosphere of the internet. Linking both together makes a sense of grotesque and makes me feel afraid of your plans about "Thi4f". I'm afraid that actual Thief fans aren't your target group and you are going to create a game for stereotypical 12-years old gamer thinking only about mindless action. (no offence, Artass, I don't mean all of 12-years old gamers ;])

PS. 4 is for A, not E.

Thievingtaffer
11th May 2009, 13:42
Am I the only one who still has to deal with the '-' for www.thief4.com?

Spyhopping
11th May 2009, 13:42
The title looks good, if unconventional... but trying not to pronounce it the way my brain is telling me.... Thifourf

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 13:43
No, th4r4's still nothing th4r4.

kin
11th May 2009, 13:44
Wh4r4 is St4ph4n Russ4ll

StalinsGhost
11th May 2009, 13:44
Thi4f has to go. A series of this calibre shouldn't have such nonsense. Glad to see that it's not set in stone :)

BrokenArts
11th May 2009, 13:46
At least the forum colors are great! I'm kidding. Another forum to visit! :)

TheJoker
11th May 2009, 13:47

Same here

kin
11th May 2009, 13:50
Does not work for me too

Neb
11th May 2009, 13:54
At least they even put a 4 in there. All of the Deadly Shadows kids who didn't know it was the third in the series will be baffled.

Thievingtaffer
11th May 2009, 14:04
It seems finicky for me. Try http://www.thief4.com/? for some reason the ? helped me on another computer. Not much there though, guys, so I'll save you the effort. It just links you back here. Still nice to look at and warms me up inside.

karacho
11th May 2009, 14:14
I liked THIEF, i think it was a good title. THIEF sounds good and it suits the theme of the game.

Why is the new title THIAF?

What is a THIAF, and how do you even pronounce it?

Dominus
11th May 2009, 14:15
Fixed!

http://i43.tinypic.com/11ceefa.jpg

mister_riz
11th May 2009, 14:17
Oh dear...

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 14:20
Ind44d.

Barsavian
11th May 2009, 14:54
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Reverberon/1242049800172.jpg

br4thr4n
11th May 2009, 14:57
What's wrong with th4 titl4, I kind of lik4 it. :D

René
11th May 2009, 15:02

Refresh your browser or clear your cache?

UrUkUs
11th May 2009, 15:03

pwnt!:D

vorob_
11th May 2009, 15:10
René

Is this "4" the final point, or there is a chance that it could transform in normal Thief IV?

Barsavian
11th May 2009, 15:11
Theft4Loot

Smiffydude
11th May 2009, 16:03
Get rid of Thi4f, its terrible. Numbers replacing letters in words isn't clever, its smug. Keep the roman numerals.

Thievingtaffer
11th May 2009, 16:06
Yes, thanks Rene'. :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 16:10
René

Is this "4" the final point, or there is a chance that it could transform in normal Thief IV?

It's just a working title for now.
We are using www.thief4.com and the name of this forum is Thief 4 not THI4F.

Nate
11th May 2009, 16:11
Ok, I agree that 'Thi4f' is a bit lame....but easily forgivable.

How would you pronounce that? 'Thifarrrfff'?

kin
11th May 2009, 16:12
Can we make the background more luminous my eyes hurts reading white letters on a black background?
Anyone with the same problem?
Is there a quick fix?

Garrett Vega
11th May 2009, 16:16
The letters are blue and the style fits the Thief theme perfectly.

However I do think that there should be a more bright theme for people who have eye problems.

Keir
11th May 2009, 16:17
Hiya - sorry to hear about your eyes, I'm the one to blame D:

Admittedly the skin is a bit on the darkside isn't it </darthvader>

I will do some fiddling soon to lighten things up a bit. Bear with me :)

kin
11th May 2009, 16:18

Thank you so much:thumb:

Bloodwolf806
11th May 2009, 16:19
Eh, I think it's alright.

Bukary
11th May 2009, 16:22
Great news! Thanks!

DCH
11th May 2009, 16:23
I googled and found a prefect example for a more subtle dark coloring in this website:

www.nanocake.com/forums

kin
11th May 2009, 16:25
I googled and found a prefect example for a more subtle dark coloring in this website:

www.nanocake.com/forums

That looks alot better (as a tone) for my eyes at least.

Garrett Vega
11th May 2009, 16:26

Better yet, add a new theme but keep this one as well. I, for one, like it a lot.

Hmuda
11th May 2009, 17:25
The whole "Thiaf" thing is so hillariously moronic that I can't help but like it. :)

Although if they can't get the most childish net thing right (namely 3=E and 4=A in 1337-speak), then they really need some professional help in the marketing department. :)

Bono
11th May 2009, 17:29
van_HellSing finally turned to the side of EM critics! :)

Seriously, guys, it's not an easy thing to piss off the fans just with the logo.

Bravo.

Noceur
11th May 2009, 17:42
Haha... I laugh every time I look at that Thiaf logo. :lol:

Seriously, though... since it's just a working title, it doesn't matter. Maybe not the best working title to throw at some already abused Thief fans, but still. :P

vorob_
11th May 2009, 17:45
Thi f: Abomination

Hmuda
11th May 2009, 17:52
When they enable sig pictures, this one is soooo going into mine.

http://www.sg.hu/forumkepek/2009_05/Thief4Header.jpg

Nate
11th May 2009, 17:55
Errrr, you mean an age of dyslexia is upon us?

They could call it 'T$$$F4' and I wouldn't care as long as the gameplay rocks!

Hmuda
11th May 2009, 18:04
Lighten up, just poking fun at a temoprary thing...

Buccura
11th May 2009, 18:07
I'm not particularly upset but I do hope it's just a working title. Keep in mind that the game is in the early stages of development.

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 18:07
van_HellSing finally turned to the side of EM critics! :)

What? There are no sides here, when I like something say it, when I don't like something I say that too. Sometimes in unpleasant ways. But I'm neither a blind fanboy or a frothing-at-the-mouth basher.

vorob_
11th May 2009, 18:33
You know, guys, that's absolutely insane.

This is the WORST way to announce the game you could possibly come with.

Just think about the situation. We've got a new team with no completed games in its portfolio, and the only thing we know about this team is that they are making Deus Ex 3 full of controvercial design decisions (regenerating health, yeah). Until today we also knew that this team was most probably working on Thief 4, a game with a very strong hardcore fanbase that is EXTREMELY conservative. The PR persons in Eidos Montreal repeatedly told us that they've learned their lessons and surely know what the fans of the games want.

And today they announce the game.

They give us nothing - no artworks, no teasers, no details, absolutely no information about the game. Nothing whatsoever. Besides the logo. Yeah, they just reveal the logo. On logo, it is Thi4f.

Just think about it: a new, ambitional team willing to succeed on making a long-awaited sequel to a classical game KNOWS that there is conservative fan-base dreaming about Thief 4 to be a game made as close to the original games as possible, and they GIVE THEM THIEF 4 WITH THE L33T LOGO. This is absolutely ridiculous.

It's not an easy think to make the fans of the game angry just with the logo. The geniuses in Eidos Montreal, however, completed this difficult task. We've got just the logo, but we are ALREADY angry, making conclusions about the game's target audience and wondering how much more stupid could these guys be and which 'fantastic' design decisions they are going to make.

Even if it is 'just a working title', this is THE WORST POSSIBLE way to announce the game to the fans.

Bravo, THAT is the achievement.

kewlazme
11th May 2009, 18:41
in 1337 speak terms.... shouldn't it be Thi3f .... 4=A and Thiaf doesn't really work.

However, it still seems to get the point across

Maybe take it further:
7h14F

StalinsGhost
11th May 2009, 18:52

Just think about the situation. We've got a new team with no completed games in its portfolio, and the only thing we know about this team is that they are making Deus Ex 3 full of controvercial design decisions (regenerating health, yeah). Until today we also knew that this team was most probably working on Thief 4, a game with a very strong hardcore fanbase that is EXTREMELY conservative. The PR persons in Eidos Montreal repeatedly told us that they've learned their lessons and surely know what the fans of the games want.

And today they announce the game.

They give us nothing - no artworks, no teasers, no details, absolutely no information about the game. Nothing whatsoever. Besides the logo. Yeah, they just reveal the logo. On logo, it is Thi4f.

Just think about it: a new, ambitional team willing to succeed on making a long-awaited sequel to a classical game KNOWS that there is conservative fan-base dreaming about Thief 4 to be a game made as close to the original games as possible, and they GIVE THEM THIEF 4 WITH THE L33T LOGO. This is absolutely ridiculous.

It's not an easy think to make the fans of the game angry just with the logo. The geniuses in Eidos Montreal, however, completed this difficult task. We've got just the logo, but we are ALREADY angry, making conclusions about the game's target audience and wondering how much more stupid could these guys be and which 'fantastic' design decisions they are going to make.

Even if it is 'just a working title', this is THE WORST POSSIBLE way to announce the game to the fans.

Bravo, THAT is the achievement.

Saying we're all "angry" is probably an overstatement. Granted, I don't want it to be quite so ridiculous a title, and I've expressed those sentiments repeatedly, but to be honest, I'm nothing but overjoyed the franchise is being revisited. Especially since Rene has already said the title is a working one, and in the infrastructure it's known as Thief 4. I think it's safe to say Thi4f will be dropp4d.

sfury
11th May 2009, 18:58
I'm happy as every fan about the announcement, but "Thi4f"? :D

As for Thi4f, I wouldn't exactly call it a working title, would you. ;)

touche, sir ;)

Come on guys, I just regged here only to post in this thread - that's a horrible title/logo. I know it's not the official name but please remove it from the page because it stabs me in the heart every time I see it.

Now with that out of the way - I wish you luck and I hope you develop a deserving sequel to the series. :)

Thievingtaffer
11th May 2009, 19:11
THI4F was a joke, get over it.

nicked
11th May 2009, 19:12
So option a) Eidos Montreal has some great ideas for Thief 4 and are beavering away at making a great game to please the fans, while Eidos PR department study demographic charts while sipping skinny lattes and put together "Thi4f" to inadvertently appeal to everyone except Thief fans. Eidos Montreal don't really care one way or the other about the marketing, they're just gonna make a damn good game.

Option b) Eidos realises that Thief fans don't make up a very large demographic in the grand scheme of things, but in these times of economic crisis they need to dredge up anything even remotely marketable from the company's history, polish it to be as close to Gears of War as possible (demographics again) and shovel it into the open mouths of anyone with more money than sense. Hence Thi4f is a jolly good way to appeal to the lowest common denominator sludge who masturbate over Master Chief.

I'd really like to believe in option 1 but I fear that would be naive. However I'll reserve final judgement for when we have more than a crappy logo to debate.

Garrekko
11th May 2009, 19:15
Multiplayer? how about Thieves...

Princess_Frosty
11th May 2009, 20:07
I'm not thrilled with it, hopefully just a working title.

Blue Sky
11th May 2009, 20:32

I can think of a million worse ways to announce it, to be honest. Why get angry over a temporary logo? Is it really worth it?

It's Thief 4. It's great that it exists. It's great that they're honouring the fact that it's the fourth game in a franchise.

And it's not L33T, is it? It's just incorporating the 4 into the logo in the same way that Deadly Shadows incorporated a sideways III into the logo by changing the E. Hardly unprecedented. Just a bit of fun.

It's not an easy think to make the fans of the game angry just with the logo.

Heh...this comment reminds me that I've been through this all before when they brought beloved TV series Doctor Who back five years ago:

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/dr%20who%20staff%20inundated%20with%20death%20threats

It was all very much exaggerated but it was bizarre to see posted all across the world via Ananova and the like that the BBC staffers who had designed the new logo had "gone into hiding" (they just asked for their names to be taken off the website) due to receiving "death threats" (hate emails) from "hoardes of Doctor Who fans" (a couple of losers).

And now look, five years' on and the new revived series of Doctor Who is the biggest drama on the BBC with a huge output of related merchandise and its logo is instantly recognisable. Jolly good show all round.

So no, I don't think anyone should get worked up about the WIP logo. It's not the official design at all. Wait until the game is actually named to vent your frustration, I think!

ZylonBane
11th May 2009, 20:40
Just a bit of fun.
Over the entire course of human civilization, this phrase has never been used to defend anything that wasn't a product of pathological stupidity.

maddermadcat
11th May 2009, 20:45
It's quite silly to judge the game based on an early logo. Not that I like it much either, but come on, wait for them to provide something of actual substance before you start getting angry.

I'm actually quite disappointed that DX3 got a fancy pre-rendered trailer (with an irritating voice-over, unfortunately) at announcement, and Thief gets nada. I understand you're a bit low on employees, though. :)

ZIGS
11th May 2009, 20:46
To keep things short on my end, here's my reaction to the announcement in the form of a comic:

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8317/fuuuuu.png

Dominus
11th May 2009, 20:51
epic ZIGS! :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 20:52
Haha. :D

Blue Sky
11th May 2009, 21:01
Over the entire course of human civilization, this phrase has never been used to defend anything that wasn't a product of pathological stupidity.

Personally I think getting even mildly annoyed at a non-final logo is a product of pathological stupidity, but there you go!

(Though I do admit my phrase you quoted there was a really bad defence. Doesn't stop you from being a grumpy ol' wombat, though.)

Stalin828
11th May 2009, 21:10
I am a huge Chicago Bears fan. The day I heard about the Jay Cutler trade I was walking down the hallway talking to my friend on the phone and he told me ESPN just said the Bears landed Cutler. I got so excited I nearly dropped the phone, and I got weak in the knees and had to sit down. After regaining my composure I walked to my computer and checked out the Chicago Bears website. They confirmed what my friend told me and my heart fluttered. The rest of the week I was giddy. My job performance was top notch. Food tasted better. I felt like someone who thought they were going to die of cancer and was just told that the cancer had gone into remission and they would make a full recovery.

Today I was walking around my living room and the same friend called. He told me to prepare myself for awesome news. Then he laid it on me. THIEF 4. I was so excited; I felt dizzy. I stumbled to my computer to make sure this wasn't some cruel joke. I loaded up the Eidos webpage. Staring back at me was something that was meant to be glorious. This was going to be a day that I would remember for the rest of my life. I looked at the logo. T. My heart fluttered. H. My man parts rushed with blood as if Megan Fox had just walked into my room. I. The excitement had swelled to such tremendous size that it could no longer be contained; it coalesced into a beautiful unicorn that was begging me to brush its hair. 4.

Suddenly I lost my breath. The world began spinning. I experienced cognitive dissonance and nearly passed out. I pulled myself together thinking maybe I had gone dyslexic in that split second and had read it wrong. I opened my eyes for another glance.

THI4F.

Since that moment my life is in tatters. I have taken to drinking. My wife has left me. I have to smoke crack cocaine to get through the day. I stopped going to work. I now struggle just to get out of bed.

5/11/09 is a day that will always live in infamy. It is the day the dream died.

TheJoker
11th May 2009, 21:11
Many seem to be overreacting a bit here...It's just a logo. I couldn't care less about a games logo tbh :P
It's like you are out hunting for errors and mistakes with this announcement, give them a break. They've just announced that there will be a fourth game in our beloved serie, let's enjoy that now and help out in the best way we can to make sure that Thief 4 will be as good as the first two games.

Sure it would look better with IV,I agree but even so I don't think we should smash EM to the ground for making a logo, that is still a working-title logo as previous mentioned on the first page here.

As long as the game is good I can live with a logo like that. So we should just continue to contribute with our own words in what we'd like to see in the 4th game in all other threads available here.

Even so I do think that they are seriously thinking about sorting the logo out now after all the hate they've recieved :P Thief IV will look great imo :D

ZylonBane
11th May 2009, 21:16
Personally I think getting even mildly annoyed at a non-final logo is a product of pathological stupidity, but there you go!
No you don't.

WhatsHisFace
11th May 2009, 21:51
Get ready for THIAF!!!

The "4" looks like an "A".

Blue Sky
11th May 2009, 22:00
No you don't.

But I do :(

okih
11th May 2009, 22:17
OMWOW! how did you do that?!!^^

i just had to post after seeing the intro image. TIAF? REALLY? Is that like a taffer and a thief combined?

lurker667
11th May 2009, 22:21
Suggestions:

4HIEF
T4IEF
TH4EF
THIE4
THIVF

Any of those look right?

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 22:22
No.

How about, I don't know, Thief 4?

ZylonBane
11th May 2009, 22:55
But I do :(
Then you're not very bright. The logo itself is irrelevant. The point of consternation is that this logo was dreamed up by the same people who will be developing the game. This is a window into what they consider to be good judgment.

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 22:59
Hey, maybe the name was used internally to avoid leaks? Nobody would be so stupid to search for "Thi4f" rather than "Thief 4" or "Thief IV".

maddermadcat
11th May 2009, 23:00
This is a window into what they consider to be good judgment.

You'd have to want these people to have bad judgement to think so. Knowing you, that's not unlikely.

ZIGS
11th May 2009, 23:01
No.

How about, I don't know, Thief 4?

Humm, I dunno. I don't think consoletards would find that appealing. And we don't want to upset the consoletards now, do we?

Just pulling your leg Eidos :rasp:

Spyhopping
11th May 2009, 23:03
Ah, EM is just trying to cover up a typo. E is fairly close in proximity to 4 on a keyboard.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 23:03
Hey, maybe the name was used internally to avoid leaks? Nobody would be so stupid to search for "Thi4f" rather than "Thief 4" or "Thief IV".

Mmmm, perhaps the design is much more clever than we initially thought. ;) :D

CurtX
11th May 2009, 23:04
Let's hope it was just a placeholder logo used just for the sake of teasing. Surely a sensible person at Eidos will realize that all is needed is Thief IV: the ???? ???.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 23:07
Sure, as Rene has already explaiined:

Macsen
11th May 2009, 23:13
Don't worry game designers. Thief fans are so conservative they'll only be happy if you actually re-release Thief II. Anything else will be an abomination unto the Builder.

Just make the game you want to make, with whatever logo you see fit, a lot of people will enjoy it and the conservative Thief fanbase who'd just complain anyway can stick to making FMs for Thief Gold.

ZylonBane
11th May 2009, 23:15
You'd have to want these people to have bad judgement to think so. Knowing you, that's not unlikely.
No you're a towel.

Subjective Effect
11th May 2009, 23:15
I hope that this insane "backlash" against something so silly makes EM decide they can't be arsed with making it after all.

Seriously guys, don't do it. Look at the idiots you'll have to put up with.

Dia1
11th May 2009, 23:16

Stop being grumpy all over the net.

OhGod; here we go again.

:rasp:

ZIGS
11th May 2009, 23:23
I hope that this insane "backlash" against something so silly makes EM decide they can't be arsed with making it after all.

Seriously guys, don't do it. Look at the idiots you'll have to put up with.

As if they didn't know what they were getting themselves into :p

Gillie
11th May 2009, 23:25
People sounding of already! It is just so cool to me. Why can we not just wait.
I never played Thief until TDS was made, then went from the start.
To be honest in a way I was pleased I did. I did not then or now, pass judgement beforehand
I love them all for different reasons. T2 was a favourite but TDS had some great play levels too. Like the infamous cradle.
Give it a chance. :rolleyes:

Unstoppable
11th May 2009, 23:28
I think its to early to tell. Its a big change to put the 4 instead of the E. Lets see in a couple days, weeks, months what everyone thinks.

Wamplet
11th May 2009, 23:29

I liked it. Hopefully, it's Glyph-speak.

Smiffydude
11th May 2009, 23:29
If we don't let eidos montreal know what we think of the current logo now, it will end up on the box, and it'll piss everyone off. Better to just get it out of the way early on.

CurtX
11th May 2009, 23:32
Thief fanbase who'd just complain anyway
Explain to us why going from Thief to Thief II did not spark alot of complaints, but going from Thief II to Deadly Shadows did? Things happen for a reason. We're not delusional. If I have an old Porsche and want to buy a new one, I expect it to be Porsche like and not VW like. Get the idea?

maddermadcat
11th May 2009, 23:41
No you're a towel.

I laughed. Outrage over the logo is really quite petty though -- I sincerely hope you're trolling or just being sarcastic.

Garrett21
12th May 2009, 00:10
Dominus im really wishing you are part of this project concept drawing the logo great work..although im ok with the design on here now

fouytr_le_taffer
12th May 2009, 00:20
I laughed. Outrage over the logo is really quite petty though -- I sincerely hope you're trolling or just being sarcastic.

Outrage over the logo may be petty, but let's be honest - so is using leetspeak in a lame attempt to target the lowest common denominator, market-wise.

Seriously, if anyone from Eidos marketing (or representing Eidos) is reading this: that logo is er, kind of insulting. And as a marketing ploy, it's a little 1994.

PS: In case you can't tell, a lot of people are rapt about Thief4 =)

ZylonBane
12th May 2009, 00:30
Sadly, this sort of l33t-speak gibberish is apparently all the rage amongst the marketing morons these days.

http://joshmock.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mtn-dew.jpg http://i16.tinypic.com/4orx1mq.jpg
https://www.gaminggenerations.com/store/images/2fast_2furious_dvd.jpg
http://pclove.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/left4dead.jpg

http://bongeekbongenre.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/tron2.jpg

See also: SE7EN, ID4.

maddermadcat
12th May 2009, 00:32
using leetspeak in a lame attempt to target the lowest common denominator, market-wise.

I honestly think someone just thought it looks good and you're reading too much into this.

Is that really hard to believe? Leetspeak doesn't even make sense here.

ZylonBane
12th May 2009, 00:35
I honestly think someone just thought it looks good and you're reading too much into this.
But it doesn't look good. A "4" does not look anything like an "E".

No matter how you slice this, duncery abounds.

GmanPro
12th May 2009, 00:37
Oh wow MTN Dew?!?!?
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/GmanPro/ea04f091.gif?t=1242088425

maddermadcat
12th May 2009, 00:38
No matter how you slice this, duncery abounds.

You've got a point. It isn't the brightest idea for a logo, but that doesn't mean Thief 4 will inevitably, likely, probably (or whatever) be a pile of crap. It really isn't that big of a deal -- all this reeks of preconceived opinions.

It doesn't matter that much! Just "hey guys, that looks kind of dumb" would've been enough. Getting so worked up over something so simple and inconsequential seems like greater duncery to me -- I HAVE SEEN NOTHING OF THE GAME BUT THE LOGO AND THE LOGO WAS KIND OF BAD THEREFORE THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND THE GAME WILL BE HORRIBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.

I was hoping not to have to use cruise control, but what's done is done.

hem dazon 90
12th May 2009, 01:16
lucasarts has a good color scheme

FrankCSIS
12th May 2009, 02:06
Regardless of title, I'm just generally amazed by the PR department. It's been suspected for months now that Thief 4 was to be announced, and so it is, without balloons or fireworks. Was anyone actually still counting on the surprise effect?

Why is there even a board, really? You'd think the DX 3 board discussing to death the same 2-3 controversial topics, for lack of actual updates in months, would be a lesson not to announce anything before having any meat to throw at the dogs. I just hope no one is taken aback about the backlash on the working title. The title is, literally, the only thing to discuss so far. I'm a tad curious about the reasoning behind this strategy.

I'll hold judgment for now, and pretend this was just the prequel to a larger teasing phase that will escalate with E3.

Grumpy comments aside, I'm still very much excited about the game announcement itself. I'm now anxiously waiting for more news about two games, incredibly enough made by the same studio.You guys have a huge opportunity to live up to two epic franchises, use it well ;)

ZylonBane
12th May 2009, 02:07
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5828/left4garrett.jpg

Pipinowns
12th May 2009, 02:11
I hadn't even thought of the possibility of them actually naming the game Thi4f. I'm pretty sure that they were just trying to make a clever poster...

maddermadcat
12th May 2009, 02:18
The title is, literally, the only thing to discuss so far.

That's a damn good point, but it doesn't justify judging the entire game based on a logo.

Mr McGee
12th May 2009, 02:48
Actually when I saw that I thought it was pretty cool. >.> <.<

Smiffydude
12th May 2009, 02:50
That's a damn good point, but it doesn't justify judging the entire game based on a logo.

I can understand why people are judging though, as so many sequels to great PC games have turned out to be a bit poo. Fallout3, Commandos Strike Force, even Thief Deadly Shadows. People are just afraid it will happen with this game.

I just noticed that of the games i just listed, the second game in each series is the best. IMO

maddermadcat
12th May 2009, 03:34
I just noticed that of the games i just listed, the second game in each series is the best.

So much for third time's the charm, eh?

Martek
12th May 2009, 05:05
I think it is funny - for now. Pokes a stick into the too-serious "what is a sense of humor" crowd. Let it stay up a bit. But of course, eventually it must be replaced with a "real logo... :)

kin
12th May 2009, 07:49
:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Selisios/various/thief4b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Selisios/various/thief4a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Selisios/various/thief4c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Selisios/various/thief4d.jpg
The "F" actually looks like "4" with litle effort, please change it

Jables_Kage
12th May 2009, 07:51

i think it looks kinda cool, shows that eidos are moving with the times

GmanPro
12th May 2009, 07:58
i think it looks kinda cool, shows that eidos are moving with the times

That's what I'm afraid of. Moving with the times

kin
12th May 2009, 07:59
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Selisios/various/thief4e.jpg
I wonder why it couldn't be that way. Simple and clear hiding 4 and showing it the same way.

Jables_Kage
12th May 2009, 08:23
That's what I'm afraid of. Moving with the times

there is moving with the times as in having a different look to the title of the game and staying with the old style gameplay but adding a few new features that will enhance the thief experience.

Bono
12th May 2009, 08:24
The logo itself is irrelevant. The point of consternation is that this logo was dreamed up by the same people who will be developing the game. This is a window into what they consider to be good judgment.

Absolutely. Actually, Stéphane D'Astous has just confirmed ZylonBane's words:

Presently the only asset that we're able to release is the logo, which we're pretty proud of as it's very respectful of the franchise and you can recognise it very rapidly

http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/183/Thief-4-Developer-Interview

The most terrible thing is that they just don't get what's wrong. They just don't get it!

Don't worry game designers. Thief fans are so conservative they'll only be happy if you actually re-release Thief II. Anything else will be an abomination unto the Builder.

Just make the game you want to make, with whatever logo you see fit, a lot of people will enjoy it and the conservative Thief fanbase who'd just complain anyway can stick to making FMs for Thief Gold.

I don't see it as the appropriate irony, Macsen. Personally I'd better get no new Thief at all than get it as Thi4f.

Jables_Kage
12th May 2009, 08:32
Personally I'd better get no new Thief at all than get it as Thi4f.

if you would rather have no thief game than accept a new logo then you are no thief fan at all.

Macsen
12th May 2009, 09:04
Sadly, this sort of l33t-speak gibberish is apparently all the rage amongst the marketing morons these days.

See also: SE7EN, ID4.
These days? Se7ev and ID4 came out before the first thief.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th May 2009, 09:29
I wonder why it couldn't be that way. Simple and clear hiding 4 and showing it the same way.

That looks good. :thumb:

Terr
12th May 2009, 09:39

I like. It's much more subtle, and Thief is a game of subtlety ;)

By contrast, the current "THI4F" looks like someone's trying out their L33tsp33k.
Or NUMB3RS.
Or SE7EN.
Etc.

Keir
12th May 2009, 10:02

www.nanocake.com/forums

Thanks for the example. When I get some time I'll come up with an alternative.

Better yet, add a new theme but keep this one as well. I, for one, like it a lot.

Cool, good call. Will do :)

Gabriel
12th May 2009, 10:15
I think you can keep the black background and maybe ease into a lighter gray for the content area. It would be perfect if you could enrich the style of the forum with elements from the Thief games (perhaps create a Thief theme?), but I know that's going to take a lot of work. :)

turian
12th May 2009, 11:06
how bout this :lol:
http://www2.pic-upload.de/thumb/12.05.09/gpa7wu.jpg (http://www.pic-upload.de/view-2087964/Unbenannt.jpg.html)

Thievingtaffer
12th May 2009, 11:08
how bout this :lol:
http://www2.pic-upload.de/thumb/12.05.09/gpa7wu.jpg (http://www.pic-upload.de/view-2087964/Unbenannt.jpg.html)
LOL, clever. :lol:

Vlad27145
12th May 2009, 11:14
Absolutely. Actually, Stéphane D'Astous has just confirmed ZylonBane's words:

http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/183/Thief-4-Developer-Interview

The most terrible thing is that they just don't get what's wrong. They just don't get it!

Ahi... That got me a bit worried. "Bringing the series to a new generation of fans"... "Can't confirm if the classic Thief mechanics will remain"...
Ok, I need to not lose hope... Please make this good.

Gabriel
12th May 2009, 11:34
Got to admit that interview made me a bit suspicious about what the devs are up to...Sounds to me like they want to change important game elements...I sure hope they don't change the ones that actually worked.

Yandros
12th May 2009, 12:02
Another thing, Keir, is that some of the smileys have rough edges on this dark background. I borrowed some smileys from here and TTLG for my personal forums a year or so ago, and fixed the ones with this problem (gave them distinct, dark edges) so that they work well on both light and dark backgrounds. I can send them to you if you like.

Keir
12th May 2009, 12:43
Another thing, Keir, is that some of the smileys have rough edges on this dark background. I borrowed some smileys from here and TTLG for my personal forums a year or so ago, and fixed the ones with this problem (gave them distinct, dark edges) so that they work well on both light and dark backgrounds. I can send them to you if you like.

I think you can keep the black background and maybe ease into a lighter gray for the content area. It would be perfect if you could enrich the style of the forum with elements from the Thief games (perhaps create a Thief theme?), but I know that's going to take a lot of work. :)

We recently updated the forum software which resulted in the return of the dreaded anti-aliased smilies and their white pixels of doom. Yandros, I have got another set of smilies which I like, but I'm aware people are fond of these old school multicoloured ones, if you have them with a hard edge please do mail them to me at keire@eidos.co.uk and I'll take a look at them.

I'll be able to change the smilies, buttons and forum colour once the web boffins have set-up FTP access to the forum server again so I can upload stuff :)

Thanks dudes.

Necros
12th May 2009, 15:01
:hmm: I don't like it, the Thi4f logo looks better than this...

kin
12th May 2009, 15:06
:hmm: I don't like it, the Thi4f logo looks better than this...

From what i read thi4f logo is going to change so I am just giving some ideas:D

Yandros
12th May 2009, 17:23
Will do tonight when I'll have local access to the files.

ZylonBane
12th May 2009, 21:45
Yeah, just like what happened with Doom II, System Shock 2, Half-Life 2, GalCiv II, GTA IV... oh, wait.

Gee, it's almost as if fans are only unhappy if the devs fvck up what people liked about the games in the first place.

hawk047
12th May 2009, 21:54
A new Thief game.

People should be joyed. And OP comes up with a way to whine about it before having seen ANYTHING.

BrokenArts
12th May 2009, 22:24
Like the title says. You go to reply, it resorts back to original forum colors, and I get a blank page. Anyone else? I can't be the only one here. Or.......am I.

BrokenArts
12th May 2009, 22:25
Testing.........

Direlord
12th May 2009, 22:33
In one of the top threads there is a link to an issue thread. Myself replies are about 50:50 they'll go through or give me a URL not found error.

turian
12th May 2009, 22:46
If anyone would like to use it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3346/3526199584_995a3e8a08_o.jpg

yes, that i like!

iDos take this please!

Blue Sky
12th May 2009, 23:00
If kin's getting a special easy-on-the-eyes backdrop, can I have a multicoloured strobing backdrop with animated pole dancing marshmallows please?

Ta very much.

theBlackman
12th May 2009, 23:02
Gee, it's almost as if fans are only unhappy if the devs fvck up what people liked about the games in the first place.

DOH! :lmao:

NeonNoodle
13th May 2009, 00:25
It looks good in the title.
And that is what they're going for.

abr4
13th May 2009, 00:41
DOH! :lmao:

That was a very serious response for game developers to be told, don't ridicule it, it might come back to you.

I like this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Selisios/various/thief4c.jpg

Way better then what EM made.

You get Thief on the first look, the subleties unfold when you take a second look.

AntiMatter_16
13th May 2009, 01:02
Does nobody see what is ALREADY there?

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2206/thief4subtle.jpg

GmanPro
13th May 2009, 01:03
Ahah, good point sir. Why didn't I notice that before?

theBlackman
13th May 2009, 02:58
And that, my fellow taffers, is what makes THIEF such a great game. You must SEE what you look at.

I don't know about the rest of you, but many's the time I have looked right at what I needed and never saw it. Even when it was in plain sight and not disquised.

There is very little "Guessing" in THIEF. You need to SEE, think about what you SEE and then put the pieces together to do the dirty deed. :D

kin
13th May 2009, 04:54
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Selisios/various/t4ief.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Selisios/various/t4ief4.jpg

theBlackman
13th May 2009, 04:57
Help! I'm missing a leg. And the moving of the symbolic 4 is just as bad! But good for a laugh.

Stalin828
13th May 2009, 05:00
I thought the sting of THIAF would wear off after a day. It hasn't. Every site I go to has the announcement of THIAF and that logo all over it. Every site has a thread of people ripping on how crappy THIAF is. Every site has a quote from that interview with the guy saying he is proud of the logo and thinks it fits in with the themes of the previous games. Every site makes me want to go deeper into the bottle.

GmanPro
13th May 2009, 05:01
Over at EM they are probably getting a good laugh out of this epic logo discussion.

josh1122
13th May 2009, 05:13
this game wont be out this generation

http://kotaku.com/5251520/when-game-announcements-go-bad-thief-4

GmanPro
13th May 2009, 05:52
Well. That's not for certain really. But its likely I think.

We are probably only a year and a bit away from the next generation of consoles anyway, so no worries.

Bono
13th May 2009, 08:31
Over at EM they are probably getting a good laugh out of this epic logo discussion.

Or, if there are at least a few sane people at Eidos, someone at EM has already had his butt kicked.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th May 2009, 21:52
I have received a PM regarding a registration problem and not receving a confirmation email.
Is anyone else having the same issues?

If so, we would advise that everyone checks their spam/junk box. Also, ensure that your email settings/rules do not instruct that all junk mail be immediately deleted. This is a common cause and explains the absence of any reply in either your inbox or junk folder.

If the above does not solve the problem, please let us know in this thread and we will look into this matter further.
Thank you.

Subjective Effect
13th May 2009, 22:53
Actually thiaf is Frisian for thief and if you don't know what Frisian is or where they speak it (without looking it up) then you don't qualify.

Who cares anyway? Give it a rest guys, it's boring now.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th May 2009, 08:38
UPDATE:

If problems continue, please post here:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88645

Hi folks, apparently a couple of users are having problems with the forum software, but we can not pinpoint the source yet. Now we need your help. But please only post if you are currently (today) experiencing problems.

Here are a couple of things we need to know from you.

Please describe what you are trying to do and what exactly happens (or does not happen) Do you get an error message or just a blank page?

Please tell us what forum you tried it in and what forum skin you use.

Please (if you know how to do it) disable your virus scanner for one try and tell us wether that worked or not.

Again, please only post here if you are having problems TODAY and try to be as specific as possible.

Thank you.

kin
14th May 2009, 17:01
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Selisios/various/THI4Flogo1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Selisios/various/crap.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Selisios/various/TESTE.jpg

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th May 2009, 17:17
I merged your separate posts together, you can always use the edit button if you wish to add more to a current post. :)

kin
14th May 2009, 19:25
Now that's better.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Selisios/various/finalcrap.jpg

sterlino
17th May 2009, 11:05
what about a title like that:

THIEVES

?? ._.

Platinumoxicity
17th May 2009, 11:26
what about a title like that:

THIEVES

?? ._.

No, no that would be Thief 5, you see:

THIEVES :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th May 2009, 13:50

^
Haha, very apt! :D

Petike the Taffer
17th May 2009, 13:59

Bloody brilliant ! :D :D :D

sterlino
18th May 2009, 00:25

HAHAHA damn right.. ! :D

Herr_Garrett
18th May 2009, 05:40
No, in fact the whole franshise's titles are screwed up, LGS really messed it up. You see, the title of Thief !V should be 'The Final Glyph', because that way everything falls into place:

Thief: The Video Game
Thief II: The Wrath of Gamall
Thief III: The Search for Artemus
Thief IV: The Final Glyph
Thief V: The Undiscovered Loot
Thief VI: The Little Girls from the Market (like, Generations)

And so forth...
This is how it works :rasp:
Live long, and prosper!

Fiddlesticks
18th May 2009, 09:36
I smell a Left 4 Dead reference....

sfury
18th May 2009, 09:45

+1

Please!

p.s. THI4F reads F4ITH if you move around the characters a bit, a friend of mine just noticed that

still, the logo - not a good place 4 your wodplays guys :rolleyes:

Corvin25
18th May 2009, 23:09
Just thought I'd say that I'm actually impressed with the amount of regulation/moderation that this forum is receiving. Threads get moved to their proper areas, posts that don't contribute anything are removed (some of mine included), and I assume outright offensive stuff is removed on sight.

This actually gives me some hope and confidence for Thief 4, as it means that official people ARE reading these forums. And if they actually take our complaints/suggestions seriously, we may very well have the game we're looking forward to, instead of another TDS. :)

So assuming that the ideas are passed along to the devs (even if they are rejected), and that none of our concerns are outright ignored, I've created this Thief 4 mod appreciation thread. :) Thanks for not slacking off!

Nate
18th May 2009, 23:23
Seconded!

HellionKal
18th May 2009, 23:27
Usually board moderators have absolutely nothing to do with the actual Designers, so to assume that our suggestions are constantly being taken into account and analyzed based solely on the fact that the moderators are doing their job is quite the leap of faith...

Not that I'd want to discredit the moderators' work, of course.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th May 2009, 23:39
Just thought I'd say that I'm actually impressed with the amount of regulation/moderation that this forum is receiving. Threads get moved to their proper areas, posts that don't contribute anything are removed (some of mine included), and I assume outright offensive stuff is removed on sight.

This actually gives me some hope and confidence for Thief 4, as it means that official people ARE reading these forums. And if they actually take our complaints/suggestions seriously, we may very well have the game we're looking forward to, instead of another TDS. :)

So assuming that the ideas are passed along to the devs (even if they are rejected), and that none of our concerns are outright ignored, I've created this Thief 4 mod appreciation thread. :) Thanks for not slacking off!

A very kind gesture, thank you. :flowers:

Although, I would like to set the record straight. The only threads/posts I would physically "remove" are those that are completely inappropriate (with regard to the rules) or are duplicated posts. All others are either merged or locked. With regard to your own thread, it must have fallen back some pages? With so much discussion going on at the moment, a thread's lifespan on first page is relatively short.
But I hope the 'Keeper Diary' thread has helped - as it is a fast, easy way to find a particular topic without having to use the search function. :cool:

To separate fact from fiction, I can confirm that I am not part of the development team. However, I know they do read this forum (of course!) and, again, hopefully 'Keeper Diary' will be a useful tool for them too.

Thanks again. :)

WVI
18th May 2009, 23:40
Ah, so they are reading. That's great to know.

Myth
18th May 2009, 23:55
The mods are doing a good job as i just noticed with my own post :) This is indeed encouraging.

GmanPro
19th May 2009, 00:09
Yes, we are all very grateful for the time you put in to these forums mods. Thank you very much!

Thieffanman
19th May 2009, 05:47
Seconded!

Thirded :). Mods, please keep it up. I keep posting here because it is well-regulated.

--Thieffanman

WVI
19th May 2009, 05:51
Hooray interweb police!

imported_van_HellSing
19th May 2009, 06:51
You know, I'm using google alerts for Thief 4 and Thi4f. And guess what the news is usually like:

"Thief 4 announced, real name is Thi4f"

"*THI4F* confirmed… (urgh)"

"Thief 4 announced, gets annoying new name"

Yeah, really nice marketing there.

I blame St4phan4 D'Astous. I mean, he seems really proud of that stupid logo in the interview, and just look at his linkedin profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/stephanedastous

"4F" indeed, 4 feck's sake.

kin
19th May 2009, 07:17
After all this time I still can't used to it. It looks retarded.

oji-sama
19th May 2009, 12:55

You mean

THIAVES

don't you? :D

Necros
19th May 2009, 13:20
No, in fact the whole franshise's titles are screwed up, LGS really messed it up. You see, the title of Thief !V should be 'The Final Glyph', because that way everything falls into place:

And so forth...
Live long, and prosper!
:lol: :thumb:
Peace and long life.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th May 2009, 13:26
THI4F reads F4ITH if you move around the characters a bit, a friend of mine just noticed that

Observant! :eek: We have been slow... a tankard of ale for your friend! :cool: :thumb:

I wonder if there is a hidden meaning in that... :scratch:
Perhaps not... but, maybe... :)

Myth
19th May 2009, 13:49
Ok for those of you who have not majored in Design, as long as they use the same typeface, colors, placement, the graphic sign stays the same. the 4 is a neat addition and IMO makes the design more interesting. It still relays the information in the first 3 seconds which is the most important thing for a graphic sign. The flavor i like, and it's hardly leetspeak when in the game's logo.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
19th May 2009, 14:03
I may not have majored in 'Design' but Thi4f is stupid. The only information relayed to me in 3 seconds was "w.t.f."

Myth
19th May 2009, 14:47
I may not have majored in 'Design' but Thi4f is stupid. The only information relayed to me in 3 seconds was "w.t.f." i could say the same thing about your user name... From a design point of view it's a good decision, but design is subjective so i can't press my opinion on the others. Just to let you know though, someone drew dozens of variants on a sketchbook before making this in Photoshop and present it to his supervisor/head of design whatever. Concept art isn't created on a whim and this official logo hasn't been pulled out of someone's arse.

kin
19th May 2009, 14:49
The only information relayed to me in 3 seconds was "Thi4f?" WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!!:(

Just to let you know though, someone drew dozens of variants on a sketchbook before making this in Photoshop and present it to his supervisor/head of design whatever.

This makes it even worse.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
19th May 2009, 14:53
Just to let you know though, someone drew dozens of variants on a sketchbook before making this in Photoshop and present it to his supervisor/head of design whatever. Concept art isn't created on a whim and this official logo hasn't been pulled out of someone's arse.

It's sad isn't it? It's like when I hear a really stupid jingle in a commercial. "Someone MADE that? Somebody got PAID to do that?"

MasterTaffer
19th May 2009, 21:23
This whole "Thi4f, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?" thing is paltry in meaning and I hope this strange thing ends soon

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th May 2009, 21:58
^

"What's the matter? Are you afraid of the big bad guard?"

Not wishing to bump this thread up the board again, ( :o ) ... but I just couldn't resist that quote! :D

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
19th May 2009, 22:21
heh I thought the same thing. This board has been open for how long? and there are only 4 pages? Wow. I constantly see threads merged. You guys really are on the ball here. I usually see an official forum go to hell when a new game is coming out or just released. Thief is a more mature and non-mainstream game though so I guess we automatically get help from that.

WVI
19th May 2009, 23:33
^

"What's the matter? Are you afraid of the big bad guard?"

Not wishing to bump this thread up the board again, ( :o ) ... but I just couldn't resist that quote! :D

Hey, live in NY long enough...>_>

Mr. Perfect
20th May 2009, 04:33
The comment have been kept clean, and the trolls weeded out, but do you guys actually like the merging? We're ending up with only a handful of mega-threads, each with about a dozen discussions all jammed up like some Tokyo traffic jam. The same thing is going on in the Deus Ex 3 forums, and after a year or so our "main threads" are reaching out into the thousands of posts. Each thread is a forum in itself!

GmanPro
20th May 2009, 05:30
We need to write it/pronounce it like Thiaf until someone at EM wakes up and fixes it.

Espion
20th May 2009, 06:05

And so forth...
Live long, and prosper!

I thought Thief IV was "The Sneak Home" and Thief V was the the Final Glyph, VI was the Undiscovered Loot, etc.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th May 2009, 07:36
Hear what you say, but just imagine you are one of the devs...
What would be easier? Locating one thread regarding one topic and being able to read all discussion in there.... or, having a whole mish-mash of threads extending for pages and pages, all of which will end up discussing points that were not even relevant to the topic title?
I don't know about you, but I'd get bored of trying to 'find' what I am looking for if things were not organised properly. :p
This is also why I have created 'Keeper Diary' thread too. :)

Espion
20th May 2009, 08:00
The comment have been kept clean, and the trolls weeded out, but do you guys actually like the merging?

To be honest, yes. It's all kinds of confusing when there's five threads on the same subject all over the front page.

I'm also pleased that the Mods are actually fans of the games as well, instead of just shepards to keep our flock in line.

I do wonder though, are you actually Eidos employees? That would be a pretty cool job... Paid to talk about your favourite game all day :cool:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th May 2009, 08:03
Moderators are usually volunteers... and, of course, they are real 'fans', as you say. :)

kin
20th May 2009, 09:10
This thiaf logo reminds me the thief 3 subtitle when i first heard it. Deadly shadows:lol: It was miserable. Come on someone must have a better idea.:)

Helegad
20th May 2009, 09:17
I don't mind. It doesn't look all that bad, but I admit that it really didn't have to be done.

Psychomorph
20th May 2009, 13:32

The kids would misunderstand it and read "THIEFIV".

The fourth would be then like this? :D

THIEIVES

Guess it would be something like the "French Age"? ...kinda fits.

Stath MIA
21st May 2009, 01:25
Thi4f is pretty dang lame, better to keep it simple:
Thief IV

Mr. Perfect
21st May 2009, 02:25
Oh the Keeper diary is great, no question. A quick link to any topic you want without using search is a big time saver. Thanks for taking the time to catalog all that.:)

It's just that you can't find anything in the big mash-up threads once you get there. I suppose you could read them from beginning to end, but once they get past a couple pages that takes a really long time. For example, there are probably some great discussions in the Weapons/Equipment Discussion Thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88479&page=7), but you'd have to read seven pages to pick out the ones about the blackjack from in between the discussions on arrows, swords, lock picks and what have you.:nut:

hellwalker
21st May 2009, 04:43
It's just too hilarious :D

It's like something Garrett had to do with :D like stealing all their E letters and devs had to go with Thi4f.

Mikkowl
21st May 2009, 07:37
I'm a grammar & spelling Nazi. However, I think it looks just exotic in this case, rather than 733t. All pagan looking.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st May 2009, 08:27
Yes, I understand what you say and completely agree with you. However, the only other option is to allow all (or many more) threads to remain independent, but that would result in having tons of threads to plough through... and in my experience, discussion in these separate threads pretty much end up saying the same thing in another thread of similar topic. It is difficult to keep a balance, what with limited front page room and active discussion going on 24/7.

Where certain posts stand out a bit more and warrant attention, I've allowed them to remain individual threads and have linked via the Keeper Diary. For example, the armoury/general weapons thread you mention works fine for general discussion, but there is also a standalone blackjack thread, and a sword thread etc., for more detailed discussion. Same goes for factions; we have a general discussion thread and then also separate threads that concentrate on just one faction, etc. etc.

So, believe me, I am trying my best to keep a good balance here. Obviously, the system is never going to be perfect for everyone but I believe it works for the majority. Hope so anyway... :)

Corvin25
21st May 2009, 09:04
Well PERSONALLY, I'd like for people to have their own idividual threads, but if moving them around is the best way for the devs to take in as much information from us as they can, then I don't have a problem with it. ;)

René
21st May 2009, 14:11
VIKTORIA and all the other Eidos moderators have been great. I'm not managing posts quite as much as maybe I could but I'm making sure the dev team is aware of certain threads and discussing fan expectations with them. Good times!

Corvin25
21st May 2009, 14:25
VIKTORIA and all the other Eidos moderators have been great. I'm not managing posts quite as much as maybe I could but I'm making sure the dev team is aware of certain threads and discussing fan expectations with them. Good times!

Any word on that Dark Engine that works only in DOS? ;) Because I'd love to play Thief on my 386.

Abelo
21st May 2009, 15:27
My feeling is they are perhaps doing too much moderation. I mean, it's good, but feels slightly intrusive when they move your post to a thread thas hasn't got too much to do with what you wrote or rename your thread title changing the topic intentions. Anyway, nice to see they aren't playing pool or something :P

Myth
21st May 2009, 16:05
people read the first and last letter of a word only. Thief, Theif, Tehif, Tihef, they are all equal for a brain that is accustomed to the language. I still think that Thi4f is not a bad design choice, but since a lot of the forum lurkers are big time internet nerds they can't accept the 4 as an "e" since they used it as an "a" so many times themselves.

Psychomorph
21st May 2009, 16:28
I still think that Thi4f is not a bad design choice, but since a lot of the forum lurkers are big time internet nerds they can't accept the 4 as an "e" since they used it as an "a" so many times themselves.
Haha, good argument. Personally I didn't see it as a leet "A", but a four placed instead of the E, just like often a symbol, relevant to the game/movie replaces a similar shaped letter in the title, it's an artistic and creative concept.

However, I always thought the letters of the Thief title looked creepy and the "E" was the creepiest. I think the main aspect of any Thief title (the word "Thief") must remain untouched, other things can be added.

Espion
21st May 2009, 16:45

Thanks for doing so :)

I think many fans will still be apprehensious until solid information starts trickling out but knowing that you're actually listening to us is encouraging.

kin
21st May 2009, 17:20
I think the main aspect of any Thief title (the word "Thief") must remain untouched, other things can be added.
:thumb:
And yes Thi4f is a bad design choice.

Direlord
21st May 2009, 17:36
Don't think i've seen any non Eidos mods other than Viktoria. So this thread is a more of a kudos to Viktoria thread? Not that there is anything wrong with that. They have been doing a good job consider every post is speculation or what we want or don't want with the game.

The real test will be when some info is released for us fans to examine tear apart and judge in the most ruthless manner possible. Then we'll probably see the rampant start of the whine thread.

GmanPro
21st May 2009, 17:54
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/GmanPro/DisappointEM.jpg?t=1242928416

MasterTaffer
21st May 2009, 17:59
I think at this point there should just keep it "Thi4f" to punish all those who over reacted over something so minor and completely lost their taffing minds.

GmanPro
21st May 2009, 18:01
Oh yes. Don't change it now. Its too funny

MasterTaffer
21st May 2009, 18:36
That and the "Thiaf" thing was old after ten minutes.

GmanPro
21st May 2009, 18:41
If by "old", you mean "win". Then yeah.

Maybe if EM thinks its getting old too, they'll fix it.

TafferPants
21st May 2009, 18:41
"Thiaf"...heh...
It got old fast as many have said

kin
21st May 2009, 18:44
Funny thing is that when i showed the logo to someone that had no idea what thief is he said "what is this thhhhiiifortinef:lol:" th14f:lmao:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st May 2009, 19:35
My feeling is they are perhaps doing too much moderation. I mean, it's good, but feels slightly intrusive when they move your post to a thread thas hasn't got too much to do with what you wrote or rename your thread title changing the topic intentions. Anyway, nice to see they aren't playing pool or something :P

Firstly, I sincerely apologise if you created a new thread and it was subsequently merged.
I do only merge threads that discuss the same general content, otherwise I wouldn't do so. Whilst one independent new thread/first post may indeed discuss a specific point (or a mixture of different things) essentially the topic is exactly the same - and in this case I do merge. As previously explained, it is important that the devs can easily find one thread regarding one topic. That way, they get to read all your input. Some threads that are very specific do remain independent... it just depends really. I always try my best to either perform a sensible merge or to just 'leave alone'.

As for renaming threads. Often discussion widens so much that the original title doesn't fit. The main topic of the title will always fit, I should mention, but the little bits OP's may have added initially are best removed because conversation has since moved on, so to speak. A good, relevant title means that everybody can understand what the content inside is about, without any needless confusion.

Again, I do apologise to anyone who finds the merging or title editing intrusive. This is not my intention. I just want to make sure that the devs can find what they need, and that all fans' comments are contained in that thread. I think this is very important for all of us... but perhaps some of you disagree? I appreciate feedback as it is important to me that you guys feel that I am performing my duties as fairly as I possibly can. I remain your humble servant. :)

Psychomorph
21st May 2009, 22:59
Th-fourteen-f... haha, that's new. Any more suggestions?

Abelo
22nd May 2009, 09:20
Again, I do apologise to anyone who finds the merging or title editing intrusive. This is not my intention. I just want to make sure that the devs can find what they need, and that all fans' comments are contained in that thread. I think this is very important for all of us... but perhaps some of you disagree? I appreciate feedback as it is important to me that you guys feel that I am performing my duties as fairly as I possibly can.
You convinced me! No problem, you're doing fine :)

I remain your humble servant. :)
Yuck, servants. They always called the guards.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd May 2009, 09:31
You convinced me! No problem, you're doing fine :)
Yuck, servants. They always called the guards.

Haha, time for you to brush up on your sneaksie skills and make sure I don't see or hear you! :p

Fiddlesticks
22nd May 2009, 16:32
Communication between the community and forum admins/community represatives is very important, it shows they care about their fanbase.

The devs could also make it like Valve create a blog for the game and post achievment in the development there, this also builds anticipation and binds the fanbase.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd May 2009, 16:58
Yes, I am sure a dev blog will be coming our way sometime in the future. :)

Cyclops1101
23rd May 2009, 15:20

I was just looking at the Eidos store and they have T-shirts with the THI4F logo on them?
I thought this title was just a working one (I hope) So why are there T-Shirts with this logo on them?

I really dont like the look or sound of THI4F, but then Im not entirely convinced that THIEF IV is the right call either. My preference would be something like ' THIEF - Burricks Darkness ' but without knowing the story that could be the wrong move also (for me - at least).

I do hope the title evolves with the development! But I guess the telling will be in the gameplay. I look forward to another Thief Tale. Please be kind to us EIDOS, afterall you guys rock!

ToMegaTherion
23rd May 2009, 17:55
Maybe EM are just Old Frisian (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/thiaf)

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
23rd May 2009, 20:50
It is annoying when threads are too general in discussion and become many many pages long. The Weapons/Equipment Discussion Thread is a perfect example of this. I don't mind seeing separate threads for lethal items, non lethal items, and talk of how the player acquires them. Having them all mashed up is annoying after so many pages. So as long as you can prevent threads from becoming TOO general in discussion then I'm cool.

WVI
23rd May 2009, 20:56
Weird how Blackman repeatedly violates rule 6 and no one bats an eyebrow. Not like it bugs me, but it's poor form for a mod.

Not flaming anybody here. Not trying to incite anything, either; I just figure it has to be said. I also think everyone's doing a very fine job regardless. There, so no one gets the wrong idea. <_<

imported_van_HellSing
23rd May 2009, 21:26
<-See avatar.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd May 2009, 21:52
Weird how Blackman repeatedly violates rule 6 and no one bats an eyebrow. Not like it bugs me, but it's poor form for a mod.

Not flaming anybody here. Not trying to incite anything, either; I just figure it has to be said. I also think everyone's doing a very fine job regardless. There, so no one gets the wrong idea. <_<

Okay, you've said it now... though this is not your first public post on the matter, I believe. :(
It would be good if you can take this disagreement off the board and discuss any grievances directly with the person in question, via PM. It's always best to communicate privately because this is an issue between yourself and another person. It isn't really fair to make other people read comments that have nothing to do with them, or have to experience any kind of negative atmosphere etc. If you get what I mean.
So, yeah, PMs are the way to go. Hopefully, you two taffers can make amends. Thank you very much for your cooperation. :) :thumb:

It is annoying when threads are too general in discussion and become many many pages long. The Weapons/Equipment Discussion Thread is a perfect example of this. I don't mind seeing separate threads for lethal items, non lethal items, and talk of how the player acquires them. Having them all mashed up is annoying after so many pages. So as long as you can prevent threads from becoming TOO general in discussion then I'm cool.

Hi, thanks for your feedback. :)
As is the nature of discussion boards, there will always be a need for one general discussion thread for just about every topic we can think of. With the Armoury/Weapons thread, for example, I merge posts that discuss various types of weaponry and this is the best place for these posts to go and it offers quick reference for the devs. Without a general discussion thread, forums get full of individual threads that all eventually say the same thing in the end and it becomes confusing for everyone to decide which thread to read, to reply in and even to find the said thread after a short absence. Believe me, individual threads in this context do not work.

There is a solution/compromise to this situation and it is already utilised on this board. For example (and sticking with the same subject) individual threads discussing a particular weapon only, do indeed remain unmerged and I link them from 'Keeper Diary' thread too - again for the convenience of the devs and members here. At the moment we have separate Blackjack and Sword threads. There is nothing to stop anyone creating a discussion about 'Arrows', for example, and that would remain a standalone thread in its own right.

So, this system is the same for most topics - we have both general threads and individual threads. There are also separate Poll threads which are listed in 'Keeper Diary' too.

General discussion threads do indeed become many pages long, this is inevitable. But the important point is that everybody's opinions are all in one place. This is what the devs need if they wish to study our feedback - there is no way they are going to have the time to wade through lots of individual threads all discussing different weapons, and all ultimately saying the same thing. I think this is the same for most members here too.

I hope you can understand that we do need some kind of 'law and order' on this board, even if we are all taffers. :D

WVI
23rd May 2009, 21:56
Okay, you've said it now... though this is not your first public post on the matter, I believe. :(
It would be good if you can take this disagreement off the board and discuss any grievances directly with the person in question, via PM. It's always best to communicate privately because this is an issue between yourself and another person. It isn't really fair to make other people read comments that have nothing to do with them, or have to experience any kind of negative atmosphere etc. If you get what I mean.
So, yeah, PMs are the way to go. Hopefully, you two taffers can make amends. Thank you very much for your cooperation. :) :thumb:

Thanks for not freaking about it. You're pretty cool about the whole thing, I like that.

Yeah, I probably should keep it to PMs, but I hadn't because I thought he probably wouldn't take the thoughts of one person seriously. That's my own issue, though. I must correct you on something - though I did mention his manners in one post, which isn't nearly as big a deal, it never occurred to me until now that it was in direct violation of one of the rules. I've expressed disappointment, but not on this one issue. But yeah, I'm probably getting too personal about it and I'll cut it out. Thanks for listening.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd May 2009, 22:05
I understand. :)
But give the PM option a chance - I think keeping this sort of problem a strictly private matter does warrant respect from the other party, you may find he will take your thoughts seriously - definitely much more so than having to read comments on public display, i'm quite certain.
Like I said, I hope you taffers can settle this amicably. :cool:

Psychomorph
23rd May 2009, 22:17
Haha, good one.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
23rd May 2009, 23:21
I guess I understand the need for general threads, Viktoria.

It's not a big problem or anything. It's just hard to keep up with them. Better those threads than the forum itself though. I just hope you're not robbing us of good discussion by keeping it all general where it's hard to find ;) I appreciate that the blackjack thread is separate rather than adding another 8 pages to the general items discussion.

I wonder if you guys will end threads to try and manage them a bit. Like after so many pages or posts just close it and start a 'part 2'. This works really well at the Elder Scrolls Forums. I think over there the limit is 200 posts or 11 pages before a thread is locked. Things that were done being discussed don't get in the way and the discussion stays fresh.

Psychomorph
23rd May 2009, 23:41
I love the forum theme, it fits perfectly. The buttons (edit, quote, etc) look just perfect with the glow, couldn't make it any better.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
24th May 2009, 00:12
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9027/disappointem.jpg

They haven't seen the shirts yet.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
24th May 2009, 00:22
I like it too. I usually force my own colors in firefox though. I hate pages with white backgrounds. I usually have grey on black.

Jables_Kage
24th May 2009, 03:15
get the **** over the name change tards this thread is boring know

kin
24th May 2009, 05:44
It won't stop being funny if the logo stays as it is.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th May 2009, 09:33
I guess I understand the need for general threads, Viktoria.

It's not a big problem or anything. It's just hard to keep up with them. Better those threads than the forum itself though. I just hope you're not robbing us of good discussion by keeping it all general where it's hard to find ;) I appreciate that the blackjack thread is separate rather than adding another 8 pages to the general items discussion.

I wonder if you guys will end threads to try and manage them a bit. Like after so many pages or posts just close it and start a 'part 2'. This works really well at the Elder Scrolls Forums. I think over there the limit is 200 posts or 11 pages before a thread is locked. Things that were done being discussed don't get in the way and the discussion stays fresh.

I understand exactly what you are trying to say. :)

The idea to lock threads and start afresh sounds a reasonable one, but I'm not so sure if it would be a popular decision to make. The problem is that other members might not think it is such a good idea in practice. For example, say I lock the Armoury/Weapons general thread and begin a new one... what would that actually achieve? We now have two (or three, four etc. as time goes on) separate general discussion threads about weapons - and, guess what, each of those wouldn't stand apart from the other. They would have exactly the same content, ie. everyone's opinions and thoughts. Also, the people that posted in the original thread (particularly those who gave very detailed, lengthy replies) might not be too happy that the thread has been locked because, once closed, threads drop off first page and are eventually buried under subsequent pages, never to see the light of day again. Nobody reads a locked discussion thread if they are unable to find it or post in it. So, I think it is better/fairer to keep original/important threads open, active and alive because if someone does wish to quickly scan through the entire thread and reply to a much earlier post, they still can. At least the choice is still there, whereas in a locked thread, it is not.

Having said all that, locking certain threads is possible, BUT at a later date, I would suggest. Once further information on T4 is released, many existing threads will no longer be relevant - including the current Armoury thread (should the devs reveal full details on the weaponry range for T4). Once we receive official news we can move on from what we know of earlier games, 'wishlists' and speculation, etc and discuss what is now factual for T4. So, yes, I do think locking certain threads at a later stage will be appropriate.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th May 2009, 10:08
I was just looking at the Eidos store and they have T-shirts with the THI4F logo on them?
I thought this title was just a working one (I hope) So why are there T-Shirts with this logo on them?

Well, as another member here pointed out earlier, THIAF is an anagram of 'FAITH'. :)

This hidden word(?) may not have any significance whatsoever, or be intentional... but then again, it might. It's fun to speculate...

It could relate to Garrett's new direction in life. He became the one true keeper in the end of T: DS and this could mean that faith plays an important part in his future. But faith in what, we may ask. Perhaps to restore the keeper Order and return balance? The Keepers (themselves) were not actually destroyed - only the power of the Order was diminished. So, perhaps the plotline for T4 is that Garrett must decide if he has faith in this Order and what it is that ties himself to it, and how its restoration may be beneficial to the world. Any good plotline could be based on this word... 'faith' can mean different things to people.

Otherwise, it might just be a playful message to us fans to have faith in EM, and in them delivering an amazing game for us. :cool:
Either way, the fact that Rene has actually said that 'THIAF' is just a working title and not to worry needlessly, says to me that there really could be a hidden meaning. My imagination might be running away with me here..:o.... but if this is the explanation, then the use of THIAF is a very subtle one. If so, it's clever and intrigues me.

So, the t-shirts could be a batch of one-offs to make the most of this 'tease word'. Only t-shirts are available, there is no other merchandise with this name on it. They could be a desirable item for thiefy-fans once stocks sell out and the subsequent correct title is printed on future merchandise. ;)

Just sharing my thoughts on this... :D

HellionKal
24th May 2009, 10:21
But let's not forget that the numerical value of "THI4F" using the ancient Greek method of numerology is 300+8+10+4+500=822!!!! Most certainly a mystical number that holds the key to the ENTIRE GAME UNIVERSE!!11ololo11

Someone over at EM is definitely laughing his heart out when reading about that kind of one-word speculation :P

It's a working title. THIEF. 4. The fourth THIEF. THI4F. Lame? Quite. But just a working title, nothing more, nothing less.

kin
24th May 2009, 10:59
But let's not forget that the numerical value of "THI4F" using the ancient Greek method of numerology is 300+8+10+4+500=822!!!! Most certainly a mystical number that holds the key to the ENTIRE GAME UNIVERSE!!11ololo11

Someone over at EM is definitely laughing his heart out when reading about that kind of one-word speculation :P

It's a working title. THIEF. 4. The fourth THIEF. THI4F. Lame? Quite. But just a working title, nothing more, nothing less.

Lol:lol: Epitelous kai enas ellinas:wave:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th May 2009, 13:15

Yes indeed..., absolutely. :)
But if this is the case, I would question why not just use "THIE4" then? With the top tip of the 4 extending out (and to the right) to show a clear 'F' but at the same time still displaying a clear numerical '4'?
The fact that the current position and style of the # 4 can be interpreted more as a letter 'A' is a fair observation... albeit perhaps a stupid one. :o

I don't know, you are probably right... but it's fun to wonder about it, I can't help it - put it down to a bad habit of mine! :D

kin
24th May 2009, 13:38
I would question why not just use "THIE4" then? With the top tip of the 4 extending out (and to the right) to show a clear 'F' but at the same time still displaying a clear numerical '4'?
Because they didn't had that kind of idea maybe?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th May 2009, 14:48
Because they didn't had that kind of idea maybe?

Yes, that is exactly what I mean, thank you. :)

You may be correct to think that they did not think of this one... but maybe they did (it isn't that hard to miss, is it?) and as it didn't fit in with the 'FAITH' idea, they used the current design.

Perhaps you are right and I'm just barking up the wrong tree (a suitable Viktoria phrase, right there! :D ), but I like to investigate every possibility. I can be very annoying in that way, I admit.
I'm so sorry.:o

xDarknessFallsx
24th May 2009, 18:36
i'm not a fan of the above logo. doesnt look right, doesnt work for me. nor did any of the other variations ive seen. not saying it should remain th4f, but no other proposals seem to look any better so far, imo. they look odd. i'd prefer thief 4 over thi4f long-term wise.