PDA

View Full Version : Rocksteady? Can you guys fix Bane's "weight issue" please??

stoobytoons
5th May 2009, 07:39
This is a minor issue, I know. But it really just doesn't make sense.

How can a guy, who at normal size is still muscle bound -- at least as much as "Aahnold" -- be listed to weigh only 140 lbs... I mean this is as much as Harley Quinn, for goodness sake. That just doesn't make sense. I could believe he's 240 lbs., but 140 is less than me.. and I'm a skinny dude.

So, how about a fix here, huh? :scratch:

Ensanguined Walls
5th May 2009, 07:51
There's doing a different interpretation of Bane. According to one of the devs who regularly posts on here, Bane is "very emaciated" when he's not on Venom, due to his dependence of the drug. That doesn't mean he'll be an idiot like the Batman and Robin version, however, as Dini (who was a critic of that version of Bane) is writing his dialogue.

Sorry, but they're doing Bane differently. There won't be a fix.

The_Hylden
5th May 2009, 09:24
I'm not sure if it's that much of a different interpretation on Bane. However, in this game, from the story hints and the trailer we've seen, Bane has been sucked dry of venom for longer than ever before by The Joker. It seems to me that this is the cause for such a disparity in his non-venom self and venom-induced one. You see him in the trailer and he's been literally starved of this venom, and probably all other nutrients. His body is emaciated for good reason, not just because they're doing it differently...

Keir
5th May 2009, 09:59
Yeah, I looked into this one as it's not the first time it's been mentioned and just to reiterate - he's emaciated when he's not on venom hence the weight.

Ensanguined Walls
5th May 2009, 10:12
Yeah, I looked into this one as it's not the first time it's been mentioned and just to reiterate - he's emaciated when he's not on venom hence the weight.

Does this tie into the idea that the Joker has held him captive? Even without Venom, Bane was fairly muscular in the comics.

stoobytoons
5th May 2009, 10:34
Okay. I could go along with a new interpretation, however the quote from Batman about breaking Bane "this time" suggests that Bane broke Batman the first time. You see what I'm getting at?

Also, physiologically, it doesn't make sense that a guy could go from being smaller than me to being 350 pounds of muscle and being capable to even move without his bones breaking under the sudden jump in weight. I dunno, my initial thoughts on this game is that it's a "thinking man's Batman game" but this tid bit seems pretty illogical, and frankly an unnecessary change. I mean, wouldn't the Venom musculature transform at least to fat??

In the comics, Bane uses Venom because even though he trains his body to the height of physical perfection, he still craves more power, which actually proves to be his weakness. This very detail is what makes him so interesting and 3 dimensional.

But to be fair, I don't know the whole story, so I'm not going to judge too harshly just yet.
After all, the Bane trailer showed Batman as he witnessed this "emaciated" man... perhaps he once was the titan from the comics. At least, I'll just tell myself that. hehe

JimmyTheCannon
5th May 2009, 10:51
I think they did a similar story in Batman Beyond, where Bane was an emaciated old man, his body wasted from years of dependence on the Venom.

The Jedi Guardian
5th May 2009, 15:31
You're right I think it is the same because in that story....

Spoiler If you haven't seen it

They used the slappers that had venom and the guys handing them out emaciated Venom and he was in an old state and actually old. (Maybe not, he could have been thirty when he encountered batman, and 70 in the actual age.) They used his venom similar to how what the regular thug does with the venom. So I should have recognized this pattern, he wrote this in this story, his only change is that he can get his venom back. And something tells me that Batman encounters Bane in the game before he is emaciated and he meets him when he is emaciated. I wonder if Venom could keep him from old age and weakness, just like Ra's Al Ghul

stoobytoons
5th May 2009, 19:14
Okay. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4sJ68xa4qM

Notice Bane crashing and bashing his way through things and THEN when he needed it, he triggered the Venom feed. This is from the Knightfall storyline, after Batman's back has been broken and while Jean Paul Valley is wearing the new, and temporary, Bat suit.

MCREF
5th May 2009, 19:33
Who cares? New interpretation. I get where you're trying to say they tied that to the comics, but a new interpretation could also follow a new background as well. The circumstances of how Bane did it before could've been altered. End.

Chimaera
5th May 2009, 21:04
He does look pretty skinny to be fair:
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8799/baneb.jpg (http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=baneb.jpg)

Who knows, maybe Arkham deprived of food to weaken him, or maybe the Joker did.

stoobytoons
5th May 2009, 21:35
Who cares? New interpretation. I get where you're trying to say they tied that to the comics, but a new interpretation could also follow a new background as well. The circumstances of how Bane did it before could've been altered. End.

Well, I care, obviously.

And truth be told, this back story appears to validate the character presented in the sorry excuse for a film, Batman & Robin. Skinny guy/guinea pig gets big after Venom injection. Nothing special about him.

Look, of all the characters, Joker is the only villain with a vague, indefinite origin, and for all intents and purposes really lacks an origin. Even Bane from the animated series is closer to the actual comic character than what I'm picking up here. And isn't Paul Dini responsible for that version?

I guess I'm more of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset on this. I can't be the only one coming from this direction.

EliteF50
5th May 2009, 21:38
Well, I care, obviously.

And truth be told, this back story appears to validate the character presented in the sorry excuse for a film, Batman & Robin. Skinny guy/guinea pig gets big after Venom injection. Nothing special about him.

Look, of all the characters, Joker is the only villain with a vague, indefinite origin, and for all intents and purposes really lacks an origin. Even Bane from the animated series is closer to the actual comic character than what I'm picking up here. And isn't Paul Dini responsible for that version?

I guess I'm more of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset on this. I can't be the only one coming from this direction.

Or maybe they think it'll make more sense for newcomers? Same thing for his intelligence. I think they're going to make Bane a dumb brute because that's what he looks like. And that's what people's first impression of him will be.

:(

stoobytoons
5th May 2009, 22:52
Or maybe they think it'll make more sense for newcomers? Same thing for his intelligence. I think they're going to make Bane a dumb brute because that's what he looks like. And that's what people's first impression of him will be.

:(

Yeah.. and that's a shame. But again, I'm trying to reserve judgment until I've played it. Still, the weight issue does seem quite strange in comparison to Harley Quinn.

djsaiyan
6th May 2009, 01:53
If you think about it, his emaciated appearance does make a certain amount of sense.

Bane is at his core, a drug addict. A highly intelligent, cunning drug addict. But a drug addict nonetheless.

You ever seen a real love drug addict? A crack head, a meth head (especially meth heads), etc?

They're scrawny. They don't look healthy.

It makes sense.

As for the sudden jump in weight breaking his bones, it's perfectly plausible the Venom enhances his bone structure as well.

EliteF50
6th May 2009, 01:55
If you think about it, his emaciated appearance does make a certain amount of sense.

Bane is at his core, a drug addict. A highly intelligent, cunning drug addict. But a drug addict nonetheless.

You ever seen a real love drug addict? A crack head, a meth head (especially meth heads), etc?

It makes sense.

As for the sudden jump in weight breaking his bones, it's perfectly plausible the Venom enhances his bone structure as well.

Well, Bane is supposed to be buff at all times. But when he takes the Venom, he gets a bit bigger.

stoobytoons
6th May 2009, 02:10

It makes sense.

He's more of a 'roid fiend, not a heroine, meth, or crack addict. The craving may be similar, but the physical appearance is quite different.

Kai Rei
6th May 2009, 06:12
He's more of a 'roid fiend, not a heroine, meth, or crack addict. The craving may be similar, but the physical appearance is quite different.

I think it was said that somewhere along the line's, Bane had been starved of all nutrient's, mainly food and venom. I don't have a clue where the source is though, we've had so many different review's and blog's that I don't look for thing's anymore.

Anyway, I don't think Bane seem's anything like the B&R version, save for the introduction but that's where it not only start's, but end's aswell.

stoobytoons
6th May 2009, 06:30
I think it was said that somewhere along the line's, Bane had been starved of all nutrient's, mainly food and venom. I don't have a clue where the source is though, we've had so many different review's and blog's that I don't look for thing's anymore.

Anyway, I don't think Bane seem's anything like the B&R version, save for the introduction but that's where it not only start's, but end's aswell.

Ahh! Okay!! Good to hear. I hope this is true. I could live with that, even though the jump from skinny to big would likely cause his heart to explode along with other various internal hemorrhaging. lol