PDA

View Full Version : Which is best TRL, TRA or TRU?

Flintmelody
3rd May 2009, 01:51
I have been noticing quite a big shift in fan oppinion towards the 3 newest Tomb Raider. Know this poll has been done before on these forums but really want to see what the current result comes out as and if it's different to the older polls.

In comments try to say what you liked about the one you voted for rather than disliked about the others.
If your vote is different to what you would have said before then you may wish to say that too.

Max 28
3rd May 2009, 08:12
I've explained this on so many threads but ok here goes.:p
Legend for me is the best out of the three, (I'll just judge it against TR:A and TR:U).

I think Legend had the most interesting story with Lara's character largely being a part of the game in cutscenes and through the headset banter with Zip and Alister (which I really liked). In TR:A and U Lara's character wasn't as present with less cutscenes adding to the story and the removal of the headset which I think is a shame because the amazing character of Lara Croft is my favourite thing in TR.

Legend for me also had the best combat with a cool new array of melee moves, good setings for interesting and sometimes challenging attacks from mercs with a feeling of being able to take down the mercs in lots of different ways, good use of animal attacks but not too many and fun and challenging boss battles with interesting was to defeat them.

TR:A had some good attacks but were always animals which is not only sometimes sad but came up being attacks that were the same a lot of the time without the distibution of human enemies and no melee system either. Boss battles were good but were constiently the adrenalin dodge and the Torso was too easy which I was really looking forward to.:( TR:U's combat was the worst for me being quite non-strategic and more just fill the enemies with lead. The mercs which are my fav enemies were just waves of lots of dumb guys with guns. There were also no boss battles which was a big mistake in my oppinion, removing the battles that sometimes get you stuck and the feeling of accomplishment when you defeat someone like Natla who I hate but for the right reasons (she's the villain, she hurts Lara and she is in the way).

Legend had great replay value which still keeps me playing with a variety of easy to hard rewards to find and unlockables that make great incentive. TR:A did nearly as well as TR:L but there wasn't the variety of reward with less unlockables as well. TR:U was terrible for rewards for me. Lots and lots of undistinguishable blocks that really had no incentive for finding them except concept art which is nice but not enough.

:p

a_big_house
3rd May 2009, 11:16
anniversary cuz it was most un-cartoony and longest... it as a remake of number one so that means i now what the story is like now lol, stupid m cant get passed piere on TR1 lol

Gemma_Darkmoon_
4th May 2009, 23:14
Even though I do miss the original music and hate the new version of Natla overall I am still going TRA. I find that TRA is the longest, most challenging and most replayable of the three games. Lots of environments and levels. I am always playing it a think it's great.

Jinnyskeans
4th May 2009, 23:58
All though the storylined was re-imagined to fit in with the CD's plans im going to say TR:A

Out of all three of them it was the most challenging, it was also extremly long compared to Legend and Underworld. I sort of get the feeling that CD spent too much time on the story for Legend and Underwolrd meaning that the length of the actual game suffered due to this. Where as with Anniversary i feel that the main plot points of the story was all ready established so CD had plenty of time to make the levels, half the design for the levels was all ready done aswel so its completely understandable if its the longer of the three.

In Anniversary the puzzles were slighty more difficult than the other two aswel, although they were mainly similar to their TR1 counterparts there were new elements used in the remake. As for the combat i enjoyed it for the most part, it was easy to get used to and evasive flips and rolls were easily controlled, the camera never did anything dodgy in combat either. Now one thing i dont like in Anniversary is the Slow-Mo Dodge thingy (i forget the name) was slightly hard to get the hang of and was incredibly overused, plus the boss battles were changed TOO much from the original, especialy the T-rex and the human enemies.

All in all i thought Anniversary was better one due to length, gameplay and story. Plus i greatly enjoyed the original and it was great to discover all my favourite levels all over again in much better graphics :)

RainaAudron
8th May 2009, 21:45
I voted for anniversary - longest, most replayable, most challenging, nice puzzles and platforming. I really enjoyed the game:)

Pulse
8th May 2009, 22:45
Legend!

_Love2Raid_
8th May 2009, 22:48
TRU of course!
Come on, it has Mexico, it has the epic MOTO! It has Doppel! :D

Next is TRA, wonderful game. Long, scary enemies, tough, St Francis' Folly...:)

Legend comes third. I don't think it's that bad, is is probably the prettiest out fo the three and has the best storyline. But it's just too short and easy.

Arctic
9th May 2009, 22:00
Well, Legend is my favorite. I don't know why, really, since I don't think it's the best game (that would probably be TRU).
Legend is sort of nice, light and funny to play. TRU is very dark, which is good, but I don't really play it anymore. It's kinda too heavy.. I don't know to explain it :p Anniversary is good, too, but just not the best.
Legend must be my favorite.

angelus0901
9th May 2009, 22:04
Definitely Underworld... I love the graphics, music, gameplay... and MJOLNIR!!! ;)

Neil Vaage
21st May 2009, 11:51
Personally my favorite by far is Tomb Raider: Underworld. However the replay value is much shorter for that game, and I tend to return to Legend and Anniversary from time to time still today.. so they have Underworld beat on replay value.. but everything else I felt they nailed with Underworld. The mood, look of Lara, the balance of shoot/stomp the crap out of this and exploration, climbing and actual "Tomb" Raiding.

I completed Underworld, twice. Once on Easy mode where I got all Treasures and Relics. One more time rushed through it on Hard mode for Storyboards (that took like 3-4 hours tops). Looked through and enjoyed the Extras, but wishing there was more. Without any free-roam mode in some location (like the Manor (wich for obvious reasons would be harder to use in Underworld)), Time Trials, DLC being XBOX360 only (please, never again..) and me playing on PC, etc. the game lost my interest quicker, wich somewhat felt sad in the end.

Hopefully next Tomb Raider will include a little better rewards for the Treasures/Relics and I would really love to see Commentary unlocked upon completing a location. Time Trials I also hope makes a return. And proper use of various solutions to Achievements systems would have been great as well. But I've written this before and feel like a broken record now writing it a second time.

I voted for Tomb Raider: Underworld. The joy was short, but far more intense than in the previous Tomb Raiders. I know some people feel there are flaws to the story, but I can only find one, wich is that the Dais ring in Nepal is no longer broken wich it clearly shows falling apart in the early scenes of Legend. I can make up my own "solutions" to this of course, but still it looked fairly strange when you have paid attention to the story and notice those things.

I guess Anniversary comes fairly close to Underworld for me. Legend was a nice game, but Lara was a little too "I kick ass, hoo-hah!" in her attitude and the motorbike sequences was just annoying.. I really disliked them. Thank god they didn't mess up on Underworld.. other than the fact the need for the motorbike was used a wee bit too much, and got a bit boring instead of exciting to ride around on in the end.

jayjay119
21st May 2009, 17:16
I think TRA and TRU top out with their own unique points, there is some points about the gameplay mechanics for TRU that keep it below TRA for me, yet some of the gameplay elements of TRA aren;t as good as TRU.

TRU obviously tops out in ways of, graphics, worlds etc, and i think the only thing that keeps TRA as low as it does is that it was essentially a remake. Not that, that diminashes its credibility as a great game, because it doesn't but TRU was all CD's own stuff, not re-used levels and story concepts.

However the story for TRU was not the best put together, it didn't live up to the hype that Legend left behind it, but TRU got a lot of things right in terms of gameplay, environments, and that god old TR feeling when you are playing.

Some things were lacking such as decent puzzles and platforming elements which need to be looked at in the next game, overall i think TRU is just about the best but i think the next TR will eb truly better than TRU. Cd have clearly shown that they know how to TR now and this time they will have more time and possibly a bigger budget i have faith that they will give a TR of todays standards.

I say this as, although TRU was better than TRA and deffinately TRL, it was pretty much what I expected TRL to be like so, in a way it was like no progress had been made. Like I say though i'm possitive about the next TR game.

Icetea555
21st May 2009, 20:21
While this is just my option on things.
I would had sayed TRL but the only thing TRL had going for it was the beautiful environments and bright colors. The felled to derived on Lara Croft face look. Her body was hot but her face was not Lara Croft at all. Hair was beautiful and should have been keep when they made TRU. TRL had to many problems like Interactive cut scenes which was a bad idea and very little traps. And, no gun inventory, which I loved about TR games. Also, had no animals. Oh may bad maybe only one or two different types of animals. TRA was the best but it could have been because it was a remake of the original TR 1 game. But, they still felled to deliver on Lara Croft face look. Hot body but not Lara Croft face.

Studded*Belt
23rd Jun 2009, 05:02
Legend!

I don't know something about that game rocks harder than the others.

zariann
23rd Jun 2009, 19:12
i say underworld. it is totally awesome and the way the adrenaline attack is set us now is sooo awesome (im jumping in my seat!!) it took me a LONG time to figure out how to do it lol but now i dont miss and i love the fact that i didnt have to actually fight natla this time everything looks so awesome and ive had the game since it came out and i still play it everyday when i beat it i just start it over im still in awe!!! all of them are good i absolutely love TR but underworld is the bomb!!! :D

Andy64
23rd Jun 2009, 23:26
TRL and TRA were great games. Fantastic graphics, great puzzles and huge replayability. It's very close for me between the two. TRL was very new and fresh whereas TRA had better length and challenge. Both I can play over and over so really love them for that.

TRU has the best graphics but was rather a hollow shell. It's like the best looking food that dosn't taste of anything. What happened to cool things like replay level and time trial? I didn't like the puzzle centred levels like the shiva statue and ball court either.

Juliet
24th Jun 2009, 01:41
I used to think that Underworld was the best, because of the graphics and all that. But I've recently replayed all of the three games (I've been sick for almost a week:p), and now I have to say that I actually think Underworld is the worst game out of those three.

I think the plot in Legend is far better than Underworld. Eventhough it's alot easier than both Anniversay and Underworld, I find it more believable and I like the way Lara is portayed. I also love the combat system in Legend. And I am one of those who happend to like it when Lara was talking to Zip and Allistar on the headset.
I also like the reward system and all the unlockable content that comes with the game.

Anniversary is in my opinion the hardest of the three games, and I think Lara looks really pretty in it, but for some reason I sometimes find it a bit boring. I don't know why though.
The combat system is ok, but I prefer the one used in Legend. I like the storyline very much here too, but for some reason not as much as I enjoyed the story in Legend.

And then there's Underworld. So much went wrong here for me. First of all the combat system suck. Enough said.
Second, it really, REALLY annoys me how Lara is now walking around talking to herself and occasionally takes up her camera and wave it around. I mean why has she suddenly started to do this? In Legend she has Zip and Allistar on the headset, but in Underworld, which is set to be right after Legend ends, they don't follow her at all. I just don't buy it..
Third, I don't like the way Lara is portrayed in this game. And I also don't like the way she looks, for some reason. And the reward system is just awful! There's too many cubes lying around everywhere, even inside vases, so you have to break every single vase you see just to make sure you didn't miss one.
And then there's the fact that there's no replay value. Also I feel that the story was a bit rushed, especially near the end.
Although I like all of Laras new moves, the norse mythology theme and the doppleganger, it's just not enough for me.

I think the next game will be good it they take the characterism, combat and award system from Legend and add it with the lenght and puzzles from Anniversary and then throw in Laras movements from Underworld.

And just for the record, I didin't hate Underworld, I think it's a good game, but I just don't like it as much as the other two games.

rg_001100
24th Jun 2009, 03:45
...And then there's Underworld. So much went wrong here for me. First of all the combat system suck. Enough said.

What did you think was so bad about the combat system of TR:U? (or what did you think was so great about the combat system of TR:L?).
Personally I like the combat of TR:U better, I find the combat to be a more individual/unique type of combat than TR:L (not even considering the bike-scenes of TR:L :rolleyes:).

The biggest reason for ditching the over-the-headset style from TR:L was because of the backlash from the fans; it was completely different from the style of play that made the early games so great (i.e. silence and isolation).
I think part of this also comes under fans not being so reasonable; just complaining (minus explaination) against what they do not like rather than saying what they do. Perhaps it also comes down to having to please a wide (split?) spectrum of gamers; TR:L is of a different style of gameplay than the early Core games.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
24th Jun 2009, 11:32
Completely with you Juliet. I feel quite the same about the 3 games.

Juliet
24th Jun 2009, 12:06
What did you think was so bad about the combat system of TR:U? (or what did you think was so great about the combat system of TR:L?).
Personally I like the combat of TR:U better, I find the combat to be a more individual/unique type of combat than TR:L (not even considering the bike-scenes of TR:L :rolleyes:).

The biggest reason for ditching the over-the-headset style from TR:L was because of the backlash from the fans; it was completely different from the style of play that made the early games so great (i.e. silence and isolation).
I think part of this also comes under fans not being so reasonable; just complaining (minus explaination) against what they do not like rather than saying what they do. Perhaps it also comes down to having to please a wide (split?) spectrum of gamers; TR:L is of a different style of gameplay than the early Core games.

The reason I like the combat system in Legend more than in Underworld is because in Legend I get to kick the targets around, knock them off their feets and make them fly in the air while I shoot at them:) And of course the headshoot.
But in Underworld I didin't get to do any of those things (except the headshoot), so for me the whole combat system just felt a bit clumsy.

I know that complaining fans was the reason they cut back on the headset-style, but I think that they could have made Zip and Allistar shut up while we were playing and exploring, and then talk with Lara again in the cut scenes. Either that or she could just shut up completly and think, instead of walking around talking to herself. It just seems a bit mental in my opinion:p

qwerty
24th Jun 2009, 12:49
anniversary

jayjay119
24th Jun 2009, 15:26
But in Underworld I didin't get to do any of those things (except the headshoot), so for me the whole combat system just felt a bit clumsy.

I know that complaining fans was the reason they cut back on the headset-style, but I think that they could have made Zip and Allistar shut up while we were playing and exploring, and then talk with Lara again in the cut scenes. Either that or she could just shut up completly and think, instead of walking around talking to herself. It just seems a bit mental in my opinion:p

I agree the combat system in Underworld at times could be a little bit clunky and there is deffinately a way to go on it before it gets to be decent, such as the inclusion of a cover system which the series desperately needs if it is going to keep including human enemies.

However I feel that the documentation with the camera is a good way of progressing the story and i actually think it was underused. Lara is an adventurer and obviously she is going to document things she finds, making vocal notes just seems togo hand in hand with that i feel. One thing i didn't like was having to constantly read journal entries to follow the story. It detracted from the gameplay and got really tedious. I feel it would have been better if Lara had just used the camera in a dictaphone fashion and said things in-game. It would have flowed better.

ebilkitten1
25th Jun 2009, 22:00
Anniversary wasn't that good of a remake, though it has more moves and better graphics, that fact that space, color, and realistic situations were compromised made it not so good.

Underworld and may just be against because I was playing the PS2 version, which was CRAP

Legend was engaging and I never got bored, though I didn't like Lara's main outfit, fghting and bouncing around was fun, and the puzzles were good.

jayjay119
26th Jun 2009, 15:57
Underworld and may just be against because I was playing the PS2 version, which was CRAP.

Generally speaking the PS2/wii versions are rubbish compared to the current gen versions. If you decide to upgrade though don't hesitate on buying it. The current gen version is so much better.

andrew90
28th Jun 2009, 20:14
I like them all three about the same, but I voted Legend, cause I love Lara's character (not that I don't like it in TRA and TRU), but mostly cause I miss Croft Manor! Anniversary has it too but in Legend is better, and Underworld... it's a shame it doesn't have the manor!

LARALOVERnr1
2nd Jul 2009, 11:22
Legend ownzzzz!

d1n0_xD
3rd Jul 2009, 19:18
I like them all but I voted Legend :D
That was my first TR game :D Anniversary was pretty cool and I didn't played Underworld...I only played it until the octopus thingy on my cousin's computer xD

Oh,and one last thing :P I really liked the headsets in Legend because you have a feeling that you are not alone...Lara talking with Zip and Alister now and then was quite cool :D

Andy64
3rd Jul 2009, 19:25
TRL and TRA are brilliant. Awesome graphics, lots of action and replayability. They had about the right mix of content where as TRU seemed to be too much puzzles and regenerating enemies and didn't like that much.

TombRaiderFan09
4th Jul 2009, 08:17
Ooo..I'd say Underworld, it just edged Legend. Underworld was the best out of those games, despite the glitches, bugs and all that.

tombraidergal
4th Jul 2009, 09:26
legend is definetly the best, it was my first ever tr game and i enjoyed it loads. i was 10 wen i played it so i didn't get many of the puzzles i had to try and solve.... i was like 'i'm stuck in Japan! why is the glass panel shiny on the roof? What do i do? I'll start clicking random buttons!' (three days later) 'Oh, shiny things equals grapple, i guess i should pull it and jump in. why is there a bike there? Where do i go? What do i need it for? Ohh, i climb on it, right, why isn't this glass breaking? there's a door, right.... ooooh, i guess i should go over the bridge? OMG, what buttons that?' (ten seconds later, finds right button and realises lara died). 'Damn it, i guess i'll have to try again. Oh yes, now i've done it, lara is alive. i guess i have to climb the scaffolding...'

yep, i was like that with every level, dumb. mainly co i had no idea what to do or what it was about. now i'm like... i found this hard? PFFFFF. It took me about two weeks or three weeks to finsih the game.
But i love it, it's gripping unlike underworld, anniversary was just not that good, but i liked it.

Max 28
5th Jul 2009, 11:03
^^^ Interesting train of thought tombraidergal. :p Have you played any of the classics - Legend being your first game?

Triangle3
13th Jul 2009, 13:03
Legend is totally the best. You can play it over and over and it's still great.

wdavid
14th Jul 2009, 07:41
I think Underworld is the best despite the fact that it is a "bit" buggy and i can't play it over and over again.:D

Meemers
14th Jul 2009, 20:44
I voted for Legend, I never passed Underworld.