PDA

View Full Version : Which Battle system do you favor?

onigiri619
9th Aug 2012, 19:56
Since Final Fantasy is entering the 25th anniversary, i was just wondering which Final Fantasy battle systems players preferred. Spinoffs, sequals, anything of that sort.

Looking back at all the Final Fantasy games that I've played (except IV, XIII, XII-2, Crystal Chronicles), the one that I personally favor the most was the ADB and Gambit Systems from XII. It was a system that put a significant amount of intricate thought and strategy into battle. Every action could be arranged to fit a set scenario and the speed of battle flowed seemlessly. Really made boss fights very satisfying (saved me plenty of times during the Zodiark battle). Plus, the MMORPG-esque free roaming in battle felt very natural, putting a whole new twist to fleeing as well (Stupid T-Rex). It was complicated to grasp at first but you learn to love it.

Special Mentions to Dissidia, which put a surprisingly stylish take of the action/rpg/fighting genres (still deeply fustraited with the Chaos who is HAX), and Type-0 (running around as Eidolons like Odin and Shiva is FUN!)

DerekMaverick
9th Aug 2012, 20:40
I like V's ATB and XIII ATB battle systems. They were unique and fun! All of the battle systems are really fun though and suit each game perfectly.

member_10628951
9th Aug 2012, 20:42
Since Final Fantasy is entering the 25th anniversary, i was just wondering which Final Fantasy battle systems players preferred. Spinoffs, sequals, anything of that sort.

Looking back at all the Final Fantasy games that I've played (except IV, XIII, XII-2, Crystal Chronicles), the one that I personally favor the most was the ADB and Gambit Systems from XII. It was a system that put a significant amount of intricate thought and strategy into battle. Every action could be arranged to fit a set scenario and the speed of battle flowed seemlessly. Really made boss fights very satisfying (saved me plenty of times during the Zodiark battle). Plus, the MMORPG-esque free roaming in battle felt very natural, putting a whole new twist to fleeing as well (Stupid T-Rex). It was complicated to grasp at first but you learn to love it.

Special Mentions to Dissidia, which put a surprisingly stylish take of the action/rpg/fighting genres (still deeply fustraited with the Chaos who is HAX), and Type-0 (running around as Eidolons like Odin and Shiva is FUN!)

I prefer Real Time Battle System then turn based.

However if I had to choose one turn based battle system I would choose Final Fantasy X's battle system.

ZachiroEnigma0
9th Aug 2012, 21:04

I prefer Real Time Battle System then turn based.

However if I had to choose one turn based battle system I would choose Final Fantasy X's battle system.

i personally enjoy all the ones i played, revenant wings was very unique to me....like it was realyl fun to play i still paly it sometimes but my personal favorite is a tie between X and XIII

X to me is like palying chess, you get time to look at whos turn is gonan come next and decide what to do and plan a good 10 steps ahead of the boss, and then you can also kinda set up your people so the yattack in the exact order you want them to

XIII was mroe fast paced but gave you alittle time to think, and withthe paradgm shifts it was really fast paced cuz you had to switch right when you needed to and not a moment sooner or later, and plus you can set up a pattern of attacks any way you want to to set them up jsut how you want and still put your own twist to it all ^^

xii was really fun and kinda like the maker of xiii's battle system, i enjoyed moving around the whole time and switching betwee ncharacters and queueing up moves while their gambits handled the rest ^^

member_10797487
9th Aug 2012, 21:46
For me I would definately have to say twelve was my my favorite so far on the non-turn based side, because i was able to move around during combat and rely on the gambits but if i wanted to i could switch to a character right away, but the last of the series turn based that i played recently was 9 which i really enjoyed, but before i can make a decision on that i'll have to play my other games to have a better refererence

although if versus ever does come out that might take the spot for me on the action side, but there isn't much info on that so I can only go based on what I've seen so far which is that it's similar to Kingdom hearts minus disney

member_10770952
9th Aug 2012, 21:57
impressive

member_10822883
10th Aug 2012, 01:00
V's ATB or XIII-2's ATB Paradigm systems. V's execution is absolutely flawless and probably the only instance outside of X-2 in which I think ATB really took off. XII breathed a lot of new life into it, too. XIII/XIII-2 is just really fast-paced and enjoyable to me. I specify XIII-2 though as it improved upon a relatively strong combat system. Though I think it'll work great for Versus, I hope the main series never fully goes Action RPG style. Never cared much for it.

steepo-247309
10th Aug 2012, 08:54
I really enjoyed the gambit system of 12. But at times, I was curious as to whether or not I had it set to optimal settings. When 13 came along, I thought that was perfect. Although I kind of wish they would've kept the attack lines from 12.

member_10074094
10th Aug 2012, 09:54
I'm gonna have to say FF12's combat was the most fun. A little grindy during my first playthrough, when I cared more about just levelling up to see that next cutscene, but afterwards, I enjoyed running around slaying monsters, and the pause-and-play style that I employed during boss fights (only used gambits for heals and to direct attacks on either an enemy specified by my party leader, or enemy with least health to keep the adds out of the fight).

I also love the systems for Tactics, and I think the way you learn abilities in those games (also used in FF9) is superior to all others, as it makes you really want to find or craft all the items in the game.

member_10827409
10th Aug 2012, 10:07
iV' ATB and IX "s hands down. XII was also good as well.

FinalFantasy107
10th Aug 2012, 10:20
I liked the FFX turn by turn system.

YoshiKatYoko
11th Aug 2012, 15:19
I love XIII, XII and X-2 Battle mechanics. The least one is X, the turn based is so slow -.-

Senpai
11th Aug 2012, 15:21
turnbased all the way its more strategical

member_10628951
11th Aug 2012, 17:30
*Chuckles*

member_10074094
11th Aug 2012, 18:05
turnbased all the way its more strategical

I think its not, they are easier than real-time strategy or ATB systems, managing time is part of strategy.

I find turn-based like the older games and FF10 too simple.

member_10159804
11th Aug 2012, 18:42
I really don't have a preference; I enjoyed them all equally.

onigiri619
11th Aug 2012, 22:26
I really don't have a preference; I enjoyed them all equally.

A truly accepting fan you are, good sir! b(^_^)d

member_10078668
12th Aug 2012, 01:52
Active Time Battle system for RPGs. I like Kingdom Hearts-style battle, too. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick ATB hands-down. If I'm fighting with a party, I like to be able to keep fighting until the last party member falls (whereas KH-style is dependent on one character only).

steepo-247309
12th Aug 2012, 13:19
This has nothing to do with the battle system, but I'd like to see a leveling system better than the crystarium. What a load that was, in my opinion. It was nothing but a lame attempt at making us feel like we are contributing to the leveling system by pressing X until we reached the next level of the crystarium. Not very well thought out, in my opinion.

member_10074094
12th Aug 2012, 14:17
This has nothing to do with the battle system, but I'd like to see a leveling system better than the crystarium. What a load that was, in my opinion. It was nothing but a lame attempt at making us feel like we are contributing to the leveling system by pressing X until we reached the next level of the crystarium. Not very well thought out, in my opinion.

I agree. It was essentially the sphere grid, except there weren't any consumable items involved, and they locked your progress for different portions of the game to prevent over-levelling. There were, in both the sphere grid and the crystarium, BARELY any choices to be made in customizing the characters, only a few branching options to choose for extra stats and/or abilities, instead of continuing with the main track. Traditional Levelling provided the same thing, but with less tediousness.

Rico1337
12th Aug 2012, 15:16
I am still a large fan of the turn-based system. (Those who played turn-based and found it not challenging I feel probably played on "Wait" and not "Active", some dont have that option understandably though.)

I didnt quite like the FFXII system as I felt I was always forced to go back and mess with my paradigms when I didnt want to. I felt like there was too less of a what I wanted to do and a lot more of if I dont use the cookie cutter method I am not going to win.

I enjoyed having a large arsenal of spells/techniques at my disposal at all times and picking from that to win. I felt XIII and XIII-2 combat systems make the game far easier and less fun.

If I picked a particular games system as my favorite it would be between FFIV , FFV , FFVI , FFVII , and FFX.

member_10074094
12th Aug 2012, 19:08
I am still a large fan of the turn-based system. (Those who played turn-based and found it not challenging I feel probably played on "Wait" and not "Active", some dont have that option understandably though.)

I didnt quite like the FFXII system as I felt I was always forced to go back and mess with my paradigms when I didnt want to. I felt like there was too less of a what I wanted to do and a lot more of if I dont use the cookie cutter method I am not going to win.

I enjoyed having a large arsenal of spells/techniques at my disposal at all times and picking from that to win. I felt XII and XII-2 combat systems make the game far easier and less fun.

If I picked a particular games system as my favorite it would be between FFIV , FFV , FFVI , FFVII , and FFX.

there was no active in turn based, there was active in ATB but the turn based games were exactly that... you and you enemies had turns, not active passing time

onigiri619
12th Aug 2012, 21:50

I enjoyed having a large arsenal of spells/techniques at my disposal at all times and picking from that to win. I felt XII and XII-2 combat systems make the game far easier and less fun.

When you say "FFXII system" do you mean XII or XIII? cuz paradigms are from XIII.

Rico1337
12th Aug 2012, 22:56

When you say "FFXII system" do you mean XII or XIII? cuz paradigms are from XIII.

Thanks for catching that.

@Jallan: I always thought of ATB as an extension of turn-based but you are right. Most of these are a little less challenging and more boring. I guess I should say im an ATB fan =D Though Blue Dragon and FFX were fun and had challenging moments. Particularly Omega in FFX and the Random Dungeon DLC in Blue Dragon.

member_10829610
13th Aug 2012, 03:31
I personally like the ATB system in FFIV-VI.

member_10718990
13th Aug 2012, 09:02
I like Kingdom Hearts style battle, is the best for me!

onigiri619
16th Aug 2012, 16:38
The Kingdom Hearts battle system is fun but it gets kinda hard to keep track of after a while since they keep adding/removing battle features (cards, deck commands, style changes, D.Links, digital boards, etc.)

Syn
17th Aug 2012, 01:50
I would say the XII system has been the best for me so far, the amount of control you have through gambits and actively switching characters as well as the ability to move around as you battle was awesome fun for me and also maeant I could change my battle tactics on the fly if my gambits failed me, one system that I actually viewed as the inspiration to XII's system was the ATB from X-2, it was surpisingly impressive to me and is one of my more prefered combat systems.

member_10027098
17th Aug 2012, 09:09
I enjoy it all, whether it's turn-based, real-time, ATB, CTB, and ADB.

I think what I enjoyed most was the ADB in Final Fantasy XII. Having been an avid player of FFXI for 3-1/2 years before FFXII's release, the battle system felt quite natural and very fun for a single player game.

Pandara-251255
17th Aug 2012, 09:24
ATB, what else ?

WhitePrism
17th Aug 2012, 23:46
My personal favorite is between the first battle system of waiting and issuing commands and the Crystal Chronicle's battle system. To me it was a mistake when they made the old battle system real time, because then you'd have to rush and make your choices rather then think at a steady pace. To me, real time is only appropriate when it comes to the Crystal Chronicles format, where you can move around and dodge while you think up a plan. So in other words, games like Final Fantasy X-2 and XIII I just disdained their battle system because you had to keep pushing whatever was the closest command basically. But it looks like Versus will be having a system similar to Kingdom Hearts, so it should be more likeable. I mostly get Final Fantasy games based on storyline, but a better battle system is a definite plus.

YoshiKatYoko
13th Sep 2012, 09:33
Well, since I don't have anything to say at the moment (I'm bored), I found out a rather topic that is interesting to discuss with.

In your opinion, what is Final Fantasy (insert number or specific game) capable of winning with? You can discuss if you want.

My opinions (the only FF I played the most and seriously):

IV : Equipment based - Even if you've got the best magics in your inventory, Cecil tends to be killed all the time and you're just wasting a tuft of Phoenix Down.

X: Strategy Based, Item based (if you count Mixin' Items in - Rikku!) - Strategy base because you have the ample time to make your best attacks at the right moment because of Turn-Based. Item based nets your party go 99999 HP (or break 9999s), and most of the bosses actually kills you with 99999-dealing attacks even with the best accessories.

XII: Equipment Based, Strategy Based - You need effing Armors/Helms/Accessories/Shields to boost your character's morality. Yes, Equipments was a major element when you come challenge the 122333 walkthrough. Yet, still, some of the bosses tend to take off meaty damage even with the highest possible equipments (except Main Gauche!). Strategy Based, because you need to set up your gambits creatively so you can kick Yiazmat butt.

XIII/XIII-2: Crystarium Based, Strategy Based - Maxing out the Crystarium will NOT always mean for a successful game. You need strategies for building out your paradigms and stuffs, learn the enemy Intel, know the BEST actions (NOT Auto-battle).

member_10718990
30th Oct 2012, 16:24
I like Kingdom Hearts style battle, is the best for me!

Also F.F. XII battle style.

member_10745919
30th Oct 2012, 17:38
IV and IX is the best battle system. X was good, but it couldn't really beat IV and IX.

Destinystarx
1st Nov 2012, 15:48
Does the one from Crisis Core count? Because thats my favorite.

FatSqueek
1st Nov 2012, 16:02
Final Fantasy XII has my favorite battle system. The balance of difficulty and strategy is purely unmatched in my eyes.

member_10328220
1st Nov 2012, 20:05
XII for sure, that was just fun.

Avengerfrog
3rd Nov 2012, 20:51
Hi guys, first post here.

I was thinking back on the evolution of the final fantasy series as they went from 2D side-to-side games to 3D fighting (e.g. FFXII), however i noticed a slight compromise in FFXIII in this fighting mechanic. I think Square Enix should make the fighting system slightly more controllable like Kingdom Hearts and Devil May Cry, im not saying we should necessarily remove what is unique about the FF series, but make just a few modern adjustments.

For example, it is fine to wait for a spell to charge up, but maybe be able to move around, possibly being able to dodge certain attacks the enemy might use or move away from your team mates when your enemy is charging Thundega. Or charging a penetrative spell that can go through multiple enemies whilst positioning yourself to get the most enemies possible.

This is only a suggestion and I understand FF continues to succeed with its traditional system, but a leap forward in this direction can possibly attract more customers from the other games in FF.

This is a general discussion and your replies would be appreciated.

Mr.Anderson
4th Nov 2012, 01:14
Final Fantasy Type-0 would fit that description just about right.

-magic needs to be charged before being casted and can be interrupted by enemies

-various verisons of magic affects its use (ie: Shotgun Fire can hit multiple enemies in a short but wide range, Rifle Fire flies in a straight line and typically hits only one enemy, Bomb Fire has the shortest range but casts Fire all around the character making it a good defensive move, etc.)

-can dodge while charging magic

-charging magic changes it from base to -ra to -ga (Blizzard, Blizzara, Blizzaga) but consumes more MP and time

-battles take a more Crisis Core style with two party members but only four commands each (Attack, Support Magic, and Offensive Magic/Special Abilities)

-attacks vary according to characters and have variations according to how analog stick is tilted/timed during Attack

-summons depletes the player's character's HP entirely, summons are controllable for a limited time

Thats about as much as I know from the two demos i've played and that's just the demos.

member_10628951
4th Nov 2012, 01:54
I would also argue that Versus XIII's battle system is exactly like that. And we have been shown battle mechanics too so... There's that.

We will just have to wait and see.

member_10751449
4th Nov 2012, 20:50
I think that would be cool, but I also think it is important to keep each series feeling different from the other.

FatSqueek
4th Nov 2012, 21:48
I think a mixture of FFXIII and Vagrant Story would be perfect!