PDA

View Full Version : Thief: Deadly Shadows -- "Insert original disc instead of backup" error.

Brutal
29th Apr 2009, 01:23
I recently managed to beat Thief: Deadly Shadows. With that accomplishment and my head held high, I stored the CD back in its original casing alongside its brothers.

Now, not a week later I was asked by a sibling if he could borrow the game. Share and share alike, I offered him up the boxed set and waited as he installed. The installation carried on and completed without a hitch, but the problem came at game start-up. A spinning-disc icon came onto the screen and after about 15 seconds or so we were given an error message instructing us to insert the original disc instead of a backup.

This didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, considering the fact that I had been running the game just fine off of my machine. I told him it would be alright for him to run it on mine and play for a while, but when I started it up I began to get the same error.

So what's the problem here, and how do I fix it? Any help/advice?

GmanPro
29th Apr 2009, 01:28
First try reinstalling. Then, if the problem persists, buy another copy. They are very cheap these days anyway.

Brutal
29th Apr 2009, 01:57
First try reinstalling. Then, if the problem persists, buy another copy. They are very cheap these days anyway.

I'm not buying another copy, as I only just bought this one and it was working fine.
It's pointless to waste another $20 or so on something that could potentially have the same problem.
Reinstalling isn't helping him on his computer, either.

Peter_Smith
29th Apr 2009, 02:36
I have heard that these problems can be caused by the CD reader. I have nothing specific to suggest other than try another CD reader or another computer.