PDA

View Full Version : What got you into KINGDOM HEARTS?

Bhalditar
30th May 2012, 23:22
Everyone has a story when it comes to this topic!

Was it the Disney characters and locales? Final Fantasy characters? The game's original characters or mash of the aforementioned franchises? Something else?

What's your story? How did you first get the game and what pulled you in?

Gaialei_Strife
30th May 2012, 23:31
...that's a good question....

At first the idea of FF and Disney made me laugh. I didn't think it would be popular, but then I saw the preview for KH 2 and thought... "hey!! this actually looks pretty cool... and the Disney worlds don't look at craptacular as I thought!!" So I bought KH to get into it... (also I bought it because Advent Children hadn't come out yet in English and I wanted to know what Cloud sounded like..... ^^') Once I found myself on the stained glass floors selecting which weapon I wanted (staff, sword, shield) I knew I found something special...

Kingdom Hearts was the first game I ever cried over. I knew that Kairi was taken care of. I would win her back no question... Riku worried me. So when I finally defeated Ansem I didn't rejoice. I couldn't find Riku... I knew it wasn't over. So when I heard his voice and saw him at the door, I was giddy... until I realized he was helping to close from the inside. I don't know when the tears started, but I was yelling at him to come ouside and help push with Sora... and then when we were separated from Kairi, I just cried all through the ending. When "Dearly Beloved" played at the end, when all the scenes and the credits were done, I just sat there laughing and crying. Two weeks of playing, and I was completely hooked, an emotional wreck staring at game art on a screen as piano music played through the TV speakers.

...sorry... that was a bit long... ^^'

Marluxia
30th May 2012, 23:33
I was in gamestop after a few weeks of the game being released and I had already found a hardly touched used copy and it really was the Disney that got me interested. Seeing Alice in Wonderland, Nightmare before Christmas and Peter Pan in the back of the case really drew me in since I really liked those movies and well most of the Disney movies. At first I had no idea that FF characters were in the game when I bought it but when I played and noticed them I liked the game a lot more and then the story just won me over. Then I just kept on playing the series following CoM.

member_10163369
31st May 2012, 00:13
I got into this series pretty late. But whoa, when i first played it, the game had a big impact on me. There was something about the questions at the beginning that drew me into the game, eg. "What's most important to you?" & "What are you afraid of?" Those really had me thinking.

Oh and Destiny Island....that place looked amazing- blue seas & skies, white sandy beach. Running around that place was a treat. Also at the Clock Tower, flying around, looking down at the houses made me feel calm for some reason.

I started playing KH in 2005 & have never looked back......

member_10163369
31st May 2012, 00:31
...that's a good question....

At first the idea of FF and Disney made me laugh. I didn't think it would be popular, but then I saw the preview for KH 2 and thought... "hey!! this actually looks pretty cool... and the Disney worlds don't look at craptacular as I thought!!" So I bought KH to get into it... (also I bought it because Advent Children hadn't come out yet in English and I wanted to know what Cloud sounded like..... ^^') Once I found myself on the stained glass floors selecting which weapon I wanted (staff, sword, shield) I knew I found something special...

Kingdom Hearts was the first game I ever cried over. I knew that Kairi was taken care of. I would win her back no question... Riku worried me. So when I finally defeated Ansem I didn't rejoice. I couldn't find Riku... I knew it wasn't over. So when I heard his voice and saw him at the door, I was giddy... until I realized he was helping to close from the inside. I don't know when the tears started, but I was yelling at him to come ouside and help push with Sora... and then when we were separated from Kairi, I just cried all through the ending. When "Dearly Beloved" played at the end, when all the scenes and the credits were done, I just sat there laughing and crying. Two weeks of playing, and I was completely hooked, an emotional wreck staring at game art on a screen as piano music played through the TV speakers.

...sorry... that was a bit long... ^^'

I didn't expect the game's ending to be emotional. But I was fighting back the waterworks when I saw Kari starting to cry in the ending video.

prometheus
31st May 2012, 00:38
Honest? For the longest time I didn't want to play it because I didn't really know anything about it. Then I saw the first game in my loca Game Stop store and had just enough to pick it up so I did. Then I simply fell in love with it, and luckily for me the second one came out literaly a month or two after I played the first one. The irony being that I thought I wouldn't have to wait long for the next one... I was so rather mistaken.

MikeX38
31st May 2012, 00:42
it was the first game that I got for my ps2

TJF588
31st May 2012, 00:47
Back in high school, a friend I'd known since middle school lent me four games. I booted up Dragon Ball Z Budokai first, but the other three were JRPGs. Started up Xenosaga Episode I, but then went into FINAL FANTASY X. Was a fan of the series since, though I was still wet about JRPG cliches (I felt that Seymour was being played up as bad, but would be later shown as good). After that, someone here (my sister?) got KINGDOM HEARTS going.

Years later, and all three of those games (and their series) hold a place for me. Heck, that same friend lent me the disc from issue 75 of the Official PlayStation Magazine, which I got a second-hand copy of years later so I could watch Eternal Calm whenever I wanted.

Still will attest that the first KH game was the strongest (in spite of the camera's jankiness, though I'll always love it for being on the shoulder buttons, rather than drawing my thumb away from the ever-used cross and square (and later, triangle) buttons. However, I have a soft spot for the spinoffs (especially COM and Days).

TheToonTech
31st May 2012, 00:49
Everyone has a story when it comes to this topic!

Was it the Disney characters and locales? Final Fantasy characters? The game's original characters or mash of the aforementioned franchises? Something else?

What's your story? How did you first get the game and what pulled you in?

Well, I was a bit small when I had heard of this game... I had played it somewhere else and it really amused me. So I wrote down the name and went to Gamestop and bought it. After beating the game, I wanted more. This game is amazing and anybody who's a fan has reason to be.

member_10618368
31st May 2012, 00:53
For me, in the beginning when they aired commercials for Kingdom Hearts, I thought the idea of it was pretty cool! But i wasn't all like, "I HAVE TO GET THAT GAME" Or anything because that was around the time when I wasn't that into video games. But I remember I always loved seeing the commercials for the game because I really loved the theme song "Simple and Clean" that they played. Still I never got the game or didn't really think much about it after.

Until a couple of years later, at a friends house, we were looking through a box of hers with a couple of PS2 games in it. I saw that she had Kingdom Hearts 2 and asked if we could play it. She was already around the end of the game in "The World That Never Was" but was having a hard time beating Xemnas so she had quit playing until now. So we all took the challange and literally spent hours taking turns trying to defeat the guy. We were having so much fun doing it though, so we didn't care how long it took! And when we finally kicked Xemnas's butt, we got crazy excited and watched the ending scenes. We all never played the first game and I had just started playing this second one, so we didn't exactly get the meaning of the ending, but we loved it either way!

After that, my sister and I deciced to buy the game and play through it ourselves, and i loved it ten times as much! I still didn't understand every detail though because I still haven't played the first one, so obviously we bought it right after. I remember when I heard "Simple and Clean" again in the beginning of Kingdom Hearts, I got that nostalgic feeling and was like, yeahhh!! So now fully understanding everything, iv'e been in love with the series since then, (as well as Final Fantasy) and now are still my most favorite games!

And later I realized why my friend and i had a hard time defeating Xemnas...we were at a low level and barely had any abilites equipped..

member_10803211
31st May 2012, 01:43
For me, I have a love for both Final Fantasy and Disney, so when I first started seeing things appear about Kingdom Hearts I was instantly drawn in. The commercials were amazing, and I loved the game's theme "Simple and Clean", so if the TV was on and I heard it come on I would run into the room and just stare. I admit, I never in a million years thought that it would work out, but, I preordered the game regardless, and then promptly blew off every other social obligation and many homework assignments as I got sucked into the story line, game play, the entire thing that is "Kingdom Hearts" really. In my opinion the game was flawless. Sure, there may have been a technical glitch or two (the camera didn't always play nice), but there was nothing really that stuck out as "wow. this needs fixed".

Exentryk
31st May 2012, 01:50
I was intrigued when a few of my RPG friends mentioned KH had FF characters in it. I had a look, and saw Goofy and Donald, and shrugged it off thinking it was catered towards toddlers.

But then I gave it a try and absolutely fell in love with the battle system. I mainly played the game to see the FF character cameos, but then I started to enjoy the disney worlds as well.

Over the years, the story has become a little hard to follow due to the games releasing on all these handhelds, but I am still interested in KH3, which hopefully will be on a Sony console. I loved playing Birth By Sleep on the PSP, and consider it has the best battle system iteration of all Kingdom Hearts. And because I enjoy this battle system so much, I am very excited for Versus as well.

Automaton
31st May 2012, 02:01
My mom got the first KH because it was a Squaresoft game and she was a fan of the Final Fantasy series in particular. I was the one who played it because it was more action-based and she preferred the turn-based RPGs.

Confession, though. I never finished KH1, though I've played and beat everything, except re:coded, since.

maddyjayde
31st May 2012, 02:07
To be honest, it was a webshow called 'Demyx Time' on YouTube. My friend reccomended I watch it and it was hilarious!
So I started to get to know their versions of the KH characters and it made me want to play Kingdom Hearts.

Although I was always aware that Kingdom Hearts existed and had Disney characters in it, I never really knew what it was.
Thank God I watched the webshow. It started a huge obsession.

Automaton
31st May 2012, 02:14
To be honest, it was a webshow called 'Demyx Time' on YouTube.

Oh, fun times watching that. A friend of mine also recommended it to me after showing me that group's take on the Turks.

Ripax5
31st May 2012, 07:19
Uhn, Kingdom Hearts was the first game for Play Station 2 I bought and finished.

It was funny because I finished all out of order, the first two, then the CoM, 358/2 days, re:coded, BBS and finally the 1st. And of corse I cried a lot!

Now waiting for Dream Drop Distance. Sometimes I thought to myself "Goofy, please, stop into my forward when I attack!" When I defeated Sephiroth I could not belive, I spend months trying. "Mission Accomplished!"

I Just love the Passion instrumental version, Missing you,and Dearly Beloved makes me cry...

Sorry for the mistakes of English, I'm still learning.

Pocamantis
31st May 2012, 09:13
A friend let me borrow it back in 2002. I never actually finished KH 1 until after I beat KH 2. Same with CoM. My friends ended up filling me in coughcoughtriedtheirbestcough on what happened. Since then I've played all of them multiple times except 358 days and BBS (i have the japanese version and finished Terra's story. Didn't understand anything that was said though).

member_10823334
31st May 2012, 13:29
I got into the game series a year ago in January (my parents hated video games, so we never got to play them). I was going through YouTube when I saw one of the walkthroughs for Kingdom Hearts 2 in the Pridelands on the side. Curious (cause Sora was a lion and I wanted to know what was up) I clicked on it. Suddenly, they're fighting Heartless. I start wondering what Heartless are and look up the first game's walkthrough. Since then, I've seen all the walkthoughs (minus 3D, I'll play that one myself), have bought a PS2 and Kingdom Hearts, (planning on buying Chains and KH2 during this sale Square is having), and have BBS even though I don't have a PSP, and have become a major fangirl for KH and Square Games. I just can't get enough. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Ksquall
31st May 2012, 17:59
It was weird. Although I was a Final Fantasy fan and a fan of Disney films, it wasn't until I read an article in Official US Playstation magazine that I even knew that the game existed. From that point I was interested in it and my fondness of the title grew from there.

kattun_hyphen
31st May 2012, 18:22
I got into Kingdom Hearts through KH2 song "Sanctuary." One day I heard it on a commercial then I looked at the TV and saw it was Kingdom Hearts 2. I heard about Kingdom Hearts before but wasn't interested because of the Disney aspect. For some reason after I heard that song I wanted to play it to see what it was about. So I got KH and KH2 and the rest is history.

Zul
31st May 2012, 19:35
So many years have passed now, I still remember that it was wanting to see the FF characters that got me into it, particularly FF7 characters, as that's my second favorite FF.

Zench-XIII
31st May 2012, 19:48
When the first game was released, I remember reading about it and I believed the idea was silly. Many years passed before I finally gave the series a try.

I got into Kingdom Hearts just 3 years ago. While doing some web browsing I found some images of the game, so my curiosity did the job. After doing some research I got to play CoM, and I loved it (listening to Simple and Clean at the end of the game was something powerful). After that I read the manga versions and watched some playthrough videos since I didn't have a PS2. All that was more than enough to make me love the series, and later I bought and played BBS, 358/ Days and Re: Coded.

Funny thing: I also found copies of KH1 and 2 and, naturally, I bought 'em, even without having the console.

member_10829610
2nd Jun 2012, 15:44
I intially got KH2 when it was $15. Loved it. After beating it, I tried out CoM and loved that game as well.

Scorpion_CR1
4th Jun 2012, 01:38
Me and my fiance just started going out. We went to gamestop for their buy two get one free and I took a chance on buying a new Kingdom Hearts 2 game instead of going with the sale. I was trying to make a good impression. So we played together for a few hours each day. On the forth day she had something to do and I ended up pulling an all nighter with the game. The day after that she was so pissed that I played for hours and she missed a big part of the story that to this day she still holds it against me. And now she is the biggest KH fan I know. She gets so heart broken everytime there is a gaming event and there is no announcement for the consoles for the KH series. I'm so hoping this E3 she won't be heart broken.

new_tradition
26th Jun 2012, 19:20
My story is quite superficial. When I first heard about Kingdom Hearts, I was deeply in love with the Final Fantasy series, so when I heard a friend mention that there were FF characters, I got quite excited. They were nice enough to let me borrow KH1, and barely 30 minutes into the game, I stopped caring about the FF cameos and wanted to know more about what was gonna happen next.

FF lured me in, but Kingdom Hearts kept me enthralled for the last several years on it's own awesome merit ^^

Sixus
27th Jun 2012, 07:20
Im a Game Designer... not much to say.....

ThatPyroAxel
27th Jun 2012, 20:46
Hmm...I'm not really sure what got me into it (seeing as it's been a while), but I'm pretty sure it's because my older brother started playing it, so I got interested and wanted to play it too. I was young back then, so I didn't really understand what it was about, but I probably thought it looked cool or something like that. xD Simple minds, man. :D

member_10699493
12th Jul 2012, 12:06
I started with chain of memories for game boy when I was young and got confused so I went back to see were the story started and got hooked.

Auron9393
12th Jul 2012, 12:16
actually, i got into kingdom hearts by accident. It was a random day when I was like nin and i went to the store with my parents and they wanted me to get something and i didnt know what to get. I saw it, not knowing at all what it was and I asked for it not sure if i would even like it. It is actually ironic that something i wasnt too sure about became one of my favorites!

member_10754161
12th Jul 2012, 12:27
My older sister when i was in the 4th grade. she brought home the first kingdom hearts black label edition the shiny copy and yeah she was playing it while i was watching. i watch her play throught the game but she stop and couldn't beat riku at hollow bastion nor she had to worrying about her school stuff. so thats when i made a new save data in proud mode and beat it. So i thank my sister for bringing it home and etc.

member_10078668
13th Jul 2012, 03:54
I actually started with the second game Chain of Memories since I had a GBA long before I got around to getting a PS2. I played a little on my cousin's copy of Kingdom Hearts before getting the game myself and I've been hooked since then.

Haven't touched anything since Birth By Sleep, though.

WorstBirthdayEver
13th Jul 2012, 20:00
Probably Utada Hikaru, a general appreciation for certain Disney themes, the level of artwork and that it was an action game.

It was probably the best PS2 game I've ever played and I disliked that KH2 was even easier (and dragged in the end) in spite of the new additions. Unfortunately, I couldn't take it seriously after that.

member_10827566
31st Jul 2012, 12:29
I it was about one year ago and I saw a commercial for re coded and my sister was like I used to play that, but I fell in love with the song

"Simple and Clean." Then one day my sister borrowed a ps2 from one of her friends since ours is broken, thats when she introduced Kingdom Hearts to me but we usally fought over the playstation because she was playing KH2 while I was playing the first game. But I never finished it but my sister did so when I saw the ending of the second game it was so good. Then after that I played Birth by Sleep, 358/2, and Re coded. Now I preorded the MoM edition!

member_10640372
31st Jul 2012, 12:55
From the moment I saw the first commercial for the PS2 game, I was hooked. Amazing music, wonderful graphics, the cameo appearances, and the original Disney voice actors, along with special guest voice actors. My friend managed to snag a copy, since at the time I didn't have a PS2. We spent hours finding every sticker and dalmation in the game and beat the pants off of Sephiroth!

nlilly17
31st Jul 2012, 13:55
I first got into it when I traded a neighborhood kid for Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 days. I had heard it was good, so I was like: What the heck. It might be fun! After I began playing it, I knew that this game was the best game I had ever played. Soon after, I got a ps2 and KH1 and KH2. Ever since then I have been addicted.

cky182dude
31st Jul 2012, 14:10
When I first heard of this game I thought it was going to suck, or at least be really childish and meant for a way younger audience. Then I saw a picture of Cloud and he looked insane in his new outfit, then I saw a picture of Sephiroth..... it was over. I had to get this game. Even if it sucked, I had to get it just to see updated 3d models of them. Got it the 2nd week it was out. Turned out the game was awesome. After only 30 minutes I knew that this game was going to be great. I played it nonstop and beat the game in a few days. Since then I've been waiting for every new title and buying them. Well at least up to BBS. I never owned a DS or 3DS so I can't play those. I actually played 358/2 days til day 30 or 40. I enjoyed it a lot but didn't want to buy the DS for just that title. Don't get me wrong, I've seen the DS's game library and it's amazing. I just prefer the PS3/PSP.

Now I'm just waiting for KH3, I feel the reason why they're not making it on the PS3 yet is because they'd have to up the grapchics a lot and it'll probably be a lot of work... but let's face it, since KH2 the graphics have pretty much remained the same or have been slightly worse. Let's get on with it SE, everyone wants KH3!

kingdom117
31st Jul 2012, 15:20
So I was at GameStop (I was like 12 maybe? Have no idea XD) just looking around. Then I saw this little game called Kingdom Hearts in the PlayStation section. I looked at the box, front and back, it looked so cool. I even read the back XD So without hesitation, I bought it! :D
I never finished it because of the stupid camelion in Tarzan. I also didn't equipped new abilities and keyblades because I just wanted to play and I didn't really read the instructions :P So now jump into the present, (now 17) I am trying to finish it (borrowed it from a friend) with equipped keyblades and abilities :D
So as of this comment, I am were you fight Maleficent (yay me) :P
*So without finishing Kingdom Hearts, I continued into Kingdom Hearts II :P

-What happened to your copy? Traded it in for other games cuz I couldn't finish the game XD

kingdomhearts
31st Jul 2012, 15:42
funny story actually. i was in target and saw kingdom hearts 2 for 10.00 dollars on the bargin section saw the cover thought it looked gay, so then i looked on the back saw Hercules and Nightmare before christmas and thought what the hell. i bought the game saw the opening that looked amazing for ps2 standards played threw the game thought it was good but didnt understand what was going on in the storie. then i bought kingdom hearts 1 and instantly became hooked to the series.

KingdomKeyWIelder
31st Jul 2012, 16:54
So I was seven when this hole thing started for me it was my birthday and I opened one of the perfectly rapped packages to find kingdom hearts 1 sitting on a pile of ps2 games my mom randomly picked off of a self at target when she got my ps2. That was the first game I played out of the whole bunch and the funny thing is that I hated the game.... The shadows scared me so bad that I had nightmares for weeks.... And then when I was done being afraid I battled darkside and had more nightmares. So a couple years have passed and my aunts friend let my aunt borrow kingdom hearts 2. I played that game forgetting that I had the first one still and beat it in 2 days (stayed up all night too) and then soon after that I was hooked! Every time I see something kingdom hearts I have to get it! I still haven't beaten kingdom hearts 1 till this day but I came close once. I own all of the english version games and working on getting the final mix versions. I recommend also staying close to kingdom hearts becuz it can teach you some stuff and its really somethin that can make your hearts sore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

KINGDOM HEARTS FOREVER!!!!!! XD

member_10528860
4th Aug 2012, 19:31
For me it started in 5th grade. My friend and I were riding the bus to school and he had the strategy guide for KH1. I was looking at the cover, and at first I was a bit skeptical, but Chriatmas was coming up and I decided to try it. We were vacationing in Florida at about Christmas time and my cousin's over there had it so I decided to try it out. I was instantly hooked, but all I got to play through was the first part of Traverse Town and finished up at the Leon fight. I finished KH1 around the time KH2 was going to be available to pre-order so I convinced my dad to pre-order it for me along with the stradegy guide. When it came out during the week my dad secretly got it from the GameStop(I had school) and on Friday he suprised me with it. I thought he wasn't going to get it or that he had forgotten so I litterally burst into tears of joy. It was one of the only times I ever cried over a video game. Ever since then I've played every game in the series one way or another(including all 3 Final Mix versions that have been released :D)

aaronwebb91
5th Aug 2012, 05:41
i got started by the fact it had final fantasy in it and square enix had a part in it so hey it couldnt be that bad to try. i played the first one for a while and got hooked on it. i coulda spent hours fighting tidus and wakka t the beginning. i never did quite get why they called squall leon instead of squall.

member_10078668
13th Aug 2012, 04:20
i never did quite get why they called squall leon instead of squall.

According to the journal in the first KH, Squall adopted the name Leon because he felt he failed to help protect Radiant Garden and so decided he was unfit to bear his original name.

kcastro41269
21st Aug 2012, 11:40
Kingdom Hearts came out when I was 12, by then I was already hooked on the Final Fantasy Series. Knowing that it was mix with final fantasy and disney, I thought I had to get it. So ever since then I've been hooked on Kingdom Hearts Series.

As for my boyfriend, mwhahahaha....he was iffy at first, thought it was some childish game. But I got to him with it. Same with Final Fantasy. http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-innocent.gif

member_10734627
30th Aug 2012, 15:44
A ad that was sent to my e-mail about two months before the game even came out by ... Disney.

When it finally came out I didn't have money for it, but I was sort of envious of my friend who got it when it was released. She really didn't like it thought.

After a few months I was able to find it for rent. Though I found out through another friend that I should have been at the Hercules stage. It was only after I was able to buy my own new copy did that open up. I guess the rental disk was flawed or something.

I loved this game since I first got that e-mail. If just looked awesome!

Now I wish they do a little less Disney and more Final Fantasy in the games. Though I was happy to see Zack in BBS.

Timmei
30th Aug 2012, 16:13
I never really thought about how I got into KH until I saw this thread.

I had a friend who lived down the road from me who was in love with Final Fantasy, as was I, and constantly told me stories of a world where FF and Disney were one. I was maybe 8 at the time, so I thought it was made-up, but the idea sounded interesting. Not too long after that, a game called Kingdom Hearts was announced, and had commercials on channels like Cartoon Network and Disney, which the latter was majorly endorsing. I heard the music, saw many characters I recognized and knew I had to have that game! I can clearly remember the dance Belle and Beast shared on the commercial, that's how obssesed I was!

I had gotten a PS2 only a month prior, and Kingdom Hearts was at the top of my want list as soon as I saw it.

Thank goodness I didn't have to wait long. Two weeks later, my mom took me into the Gamestop at the mall where she worked. I saw Kingdom Hearts and would not let her leave the store without it! She gave in, and I also got the guide with it! ;)

I've been a fan since the very beginning, and have had very few gripes with the series. The only let down for me was Re:coded, but I guess that's cause it was originally a mobile game. Either way though, my love for this series is high, and probably always will be like Final Fantasy.

member_10578644
16th Oct 2012, 19:42
I got the idea on another one of my forums that we needed one just for talking about how we started playing it and to find other KH players.

Zench-XIII
16th Oct 2012, 19:48
There's a thread called "What got you into Kingdom Hearts", where what you mentioned is (was?) already discussed.

member_10578644
17th Oct 2012, 16:25
There's a thread called "What got you into Kingdom Hearts", where what you mentioned is (was?) already discussed.

Meh, this is for whatever, I don't care

Keyblader133582
24th Nov 2012, 00:57
my mom rented it for me when i was 14, at first i saw the disney characters and was instantly turned off, but after turning the game on, i was emersed into a world of deep emotion and longing, it changed my life honestly, soras naivity and heart of light equals that of jesus, in a kick-ass kinda way.

Auditorexx
24th Jan 2013, 21:44
I saw commericals of the game and my friend told me about it. He said that some of the characters of FF and Disney were in the game. So i eventually picked up the game and i fell in love with it. As a kid back then, i remember coming home from school and playing it as soon as i got to my room. Now that time past, i haven't really been up to date on what's going on. The first KH took me forever to beat (the last boss was a pain for me). I've recently started looking up videos about the series and yes, i'm gulity for watching videos that spoil some of the games (couldn't help it).

In other words, i'm getting back into the series again.

edward.busch.18
4th Feb 2013, 21:05
I had no other games to rent at the video store but there was this offer rent 1 get 1.... so i got this one game and KH lementing the fact im getting a game with Mickey Mouse in it (yes i was a hater) ..... I didnt play the Kingdom hearts game until my last day with em' i plugged it in saying well "time to go to Disney land" I started to play found the story MUCH darker then i thought it would be, the action MUCH better then my other games, and the storyline much Better then i expected..... to say the least i was a week late returning it and i ended up buying it

Chrysopoeia
22nd Aug 2013, 18:56
I got into Kingdom Hearts way, way back in 2002 when it first came out. A friend of mine had gotten it and was totally obsessed with it, and wouldn't shut up about it. I had seen some commercials for it and thought "omg what a kiddie game", but my friend's rants about Sora and Riku finally got me interested enough to try it out. I got it, and my PS2, for my birthday in 2003, and I immediately related to Riku. It's all been downhill from there!

SorasSister
24th Aug 2013, 12:21
Well for me, I started playing when I was about 8. My sister had Kingdom Hearts II, on the PS2, So I got engaged. It was really fun for me, but I didn't get far cause it scared me a bit. I'm starting again and I got alot further!

FantasyDreamKey
23rd Oct 2013, 09:48
First time I heard of Kingdom Hearts I was watching a trailer on the channel 'Game Network' on Sky. Awesome channel as it was all about games, it's too bad it turn into a chat room (where they chat about themselves and never talk about games). Now the channel is gone. The trailer show the intro to Kingdom Hearts (the one before the start screen. It shows you the different Disney worlds).
I love the music that played. I love Disney (the old cartoons before year 2000. Those were great! Anyone remember the Disney Afternoon shows? I so want Darkwing Duck to be in Kingdom Hearts, he make a awesome party member!) and when I saw Cloud in it, I was so happy to see him. I didn't recognize Squall as I only saw his back but was so happy to see him when I finally played the game.
I love Disney and Final Fantasy so Kingdom Hearts is a must have game for me. The only problem was that I didn't had a Playstation 2 (only had the first Playstation). When I finally got one I played it non-stop. I love the story, gameplay, characters and graphics.
I still remember the first time I faced the secret optional boss, Sephiroth. I didn't know that he was going to be in it. I accidentally click the ??? as I thought that it was locked. Oh, was I wrong! I watch as Sora ran into the arena and then there were symbols in the sky (which remind me of Final Fantasy 10) and then Sephiroth appeared in a flash of light. I was shocked (and amazed by his intro) to see him. As soon as the One Winged Angel music played I just know that I was in trouble . As soon as the fight start, it was over. I didn't stand a chance. Only a second into the fight and I got knocked out. Took me about 15 times before I beat him. I had to figure out his moves (while hoping that I lucky enough to dodge his attacks). I had fun with the challenge (and beating him). Got to do it again when I playing Kingdom Hearts 1.5. I am happy to get the final mix.

Roxas1985
24th Oct 2013, 09:13
I got into Kingdom Hearts when I saw my cousin playing it. Since I knew nothing about Final Fantasy, I actually thought it was about a normal boy who suddenly had the power to wield the Keyblade and got sucked into the world of Disney. lol So I had no idea it was a crossover of Disney characters and Final Fantasy through Sora. I thought it was so interesting that I borrowed his game. After I played it a few weeks, I gave it back to him. I hadn't beat the game then, I didn't beat it until I bought my own copy. At the time I shopped for a Kingdom Hearts game, it was 2005 and Kingdom 2 just came out and it was the only Kingdom Hearts game I could see so I bought it. It was confusing at first, having never played all the way through the first game and Chain of Memories.

I have only the PS2 and now the PS3 Kingdom Hearts games, and I watched the walkthroughs of games I don't have on YouTube, so I can honestly say that I understand the series very well by now. I love Kingdom Hearts. it is my favorite game series next to the Dragonball Z Budokai Tentichi series and Batman Arkham series (Arkham Asylum, Arkham City and Arkham Organs)

I now have 1.5 HD Remix and am eagerly awaiting the upcoming 2.5 HD Remix, but I still haven't decided whether to sell my PS2 versions of the game once I get them all on PS3 or to keep them as a collector's items, since no Game Stops are going to give me much money for 'em anyway....

Kingdom Hearts seems to have a lot of people getting into it because they saw a friend, a cousin or a sibling playing it.

Aaron_is_a_beast
26th Oct 2013, 00:33
Not exactly sure, I think sometime during 2002 I was at the video game store and back when I was young you used to be able to tell if you would like the game or not by looking at its cover and the back of it. I saw Disney characters and who I now know is Sora with a keyblade. I thought how cool a fighting game would be with Disney characters. I do remember it was shortly after I had beaten FFX so I figured I'd give the game a try.

Gemmie12_Blansive
10th Nov 2013, 18:47
For me, it wasn't until 2009/2010 that I started playing Kingdom Hearts. Like most of you, it was the Disney characters. I didn't start with the first game though, but did start off with Kingdom Hearts II then back track to the first game. Ever since then, I've been hooked on the franchise. Now reliving those memories since Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix, I just can't wait to do the same with Kingdom Hearts 2.5 ReMix coming next year.

XIII-Roxas-
8th Jan 2014, 08:20
I guess one day I was bored with nothing to do so I just turned on my brothers PS2 and put in the nearest game I could find. At first I didn't think the game was gonna be all that great but I was bored so I just started playing, then after a little while I couldn't stop playing and got hooked. Short story but it's the truth.

AdamProject
31st Jan 2014, 23:40
Ah, I was hooked in by the attractive, shiny cover and delightful artwork it sported. When I saw it was made by Square, I just had to have it. Unfortunately money was an issue and I had to wait to purchase a second-hand copy but I adored it! I still have that same copy safely in my possession today. I believed I've played all of them since.

Terror0fDeath
3rd Feb 2014, 04:05
It was actually the first game i ever got for the PS2 and ever since ive been addicted

Doom-Desire
17th Mar 2014, 13:27
It came bundled with my PS2. It was a complete fluke. Best damn fluke of my life. <3

xSora_04
15th Apr 2014, 03:50
Unfortunately I never had a PS2 so I didn't get to play KH until the remix came out for PS3. Once I started playing though I instantly fell in love. Seeing all the Disney characters really felt nostalgic. You know that something is good when you can relate to the characters because it almost feels like you are there with them, especially in this game. I really haven't been able to stop playing it and I can't wait for KH 2.5 and 3 to come out.

Addgar
4th May 2014, 16:26
The first time I laid my eyes on KH was when I went home to a friend. As I walked into his room he was just about to start the platinum boss fight in Coleseum against Sephiroth, and I remember I was totally blown away of how friggin cool it looked and the first thing I did when I got home was to buy it the next day for my PS2. I was so in love with the game, and the wait for KH2 to release felt long and painful.

I Actually never knew there was other games between KH1 and KH2. Just finished KH1.5 and I am very excited for 2.5 and KH3. I am a huge KH fan.

TetsuoTen
6th May 2014, 16:28
Seeing the commercial for the original KH1 on PS2 with Utada singing had me so pumped for the game I had to have it. I was also a huge FF fan and enjoyed Disney in general. I wasn't sure it was going to work but I am super glad I gave it a chance because it turned into one of my favorite gaming experiences growing up.

Lightning_Stryker
11th Jun 2014, 04:32
Wow I can't believe I never answered this. Well when I was little, I saw one of my family members playing KH1 and saw Mickey Mouse which sparked my curiosity. A few years down the road, I found a copy of Days at the library of all places and rented it. I was instantly hooked to the storyline, totally disregarding the fact of Mickey Mouse that had sparked my curiosity years before XD. Later on at the store, I saw that Chain of Memories was on sale and it looked interesting so I picked it up. Found out it was totally different from Days but I still liked it. So I started playing all of them out of order and then stopped, brought the other games I didn't have, and then began playing from KH1 an continued (or at least tried to) in the right order.

Tailikku
1st Mar 2015, 05:30
I first heard of it via Disney Adventures Magazine, which had the botched description of making it the RPG version of Villains' Revenge (another game by Disney Interactive from 1999). Not much was said about the game, other than a hint on defeating Lord Ombra/the Phantom. Then "Disney's Secret Lab" on Disney Channel ran a preview of the game, including a translation of Nomura's refelections on developing the game.

The real kicker was when the game finally came out. As I did not have a PS2 (grew up with Nintendo) the only way I could read about the game was through GameFaqs or through the Brady Games guide (conveniently located along with other Disney material at my local Blockbuster store) This continued into Nintendo Power's cover of CoM (also featured on Secret Lab) and the eventual release of KH2, which I found out via a Disney 411 and because the Brady Games Guide was at Blockbuster again! One Fourth of July I played a friend's copy of KH2. I was blown away by how flawless the integration of Disney and Final Fantasy was (I didn't get through much on his copy, so I was still going around as Roxas).

And then I finally got 358/2 Days along with a DSi system. I could finally experience Kingdom Hearts through the eyes of Org. XIII. And to my amazement, I went through every emotion that Roxas went through during the climax: fear, confusion, greif, rage, happiness. I had come full circle from that one Fourth of July BBQ. And I have come to that loop again now that I finally do have a PS2 with copies of the first two games.:)

kadosho
28th Jul 2015, 08:39
Awhile back I tried to hunt down a copy of KH. Bring it home and share the adventure with my mom and grandma (also disney fans). But as luck would have it I never could find a copy years ago. Until recently. I snagged KH1.5 & 2.5 after so long in my search. (To be honest it was also a birthday present for my mom). I recently finished kh1fm and watched the beginning +ending with her, surprisingly she enjoyed it. But for me its been a long road. And I hope that we are all along for the ride.

cloudstrife453
28th Jul 2015, 14:52
I hate kingdom hearts because i hate disney and disney is just trying to ruin final fantasy

Iccusion
29th Jul 2015, 17:06
Watched my brother play and got hooked immediately. Gooooood times

Phantomchan
23rd Aug 2015, 12:30
Bought Kingdom Hearts 1 from a friend of mine for a bargain because I liked the shiny case it was in (I was a lil kid back then). Seems like I didn't only like the case. :lmao:

Pinkbaby
11th Jun 2016, 03:00
The semi-gothic design on the cover of the game. I thought it was really edgy when I was a kid, and I ended up learning with life lesson at the end of it.
http://www.pinkbabymoore.com/

Thekeybladewielder
9th Aug 2016, 13:31
I got into the game when I was 8 and it started when my mum bought a ps2 and it was the first console I ever had so I was really excited but then my mum said to me I couldn't use it which made me very upset until one day when my mum got kingdom hearts and I looked at it everyone morning wondering what it was like so I kept asking my mum when it got to one night my brother was looking after me as my mum went out for her birthday and when she got in she was drunk and I mean really drunk so I thought to myself "hmmm if I ask her if I can play kingdom hearts tomorow while she is drunk and she says yes then she can't say no tomorow" so I sat there and zoned out thinking about if I should ask her and then I did I went up to her and asked politely "mum please may I go on kingdom hearts in the morning tomorow" she replied "........" I asked agian she replied "whatever" it was at this moment I ran up stairs and tried to go to sleep so that I could play it faster and then when I woke up I sat there for 5 minutes like always just to wake up, then it hit me and I ran downstairs started up the ps2 put the disc in and BOOM there it was, the first thing I saw was sora on the loading screen I clicked start new game and then the music started, oh the music was the best thing I had ever heard I was sat there playing until the moment I discovered the deep jungle which is when my mum came down and said to me have you been good this morning I carelessly replied "yes mum" she then provided to tell me to come off but then said she trusts me with the ps2 and that I can go in it for a maximum of 3 hours a day and now here I am at 14 with my own PS3 my ps2 and I have both kingdom hearts and kingdom hearts 2 on both of the consoles and that's how I got pulled into the world of kingdom hearts

KumoStrife
2nd Apr 2017, 17:55
in 2003 my best friend in 4th grade owned this game and played it alot, so i eventually kept on renting it from the video store until i bought it myself and played enough of it to get hyped enough to buy the next game when it came out, i already had knowledge of final fantasy games and disney stuff so its not like i was confused by who anyone were. so to me the cross over aspect was enough for me at the time to enjoy the game