PDA

View Full Version : What are some good Batman TPBs?

Enop80
26th Apr 2009, 20:27
I want to get into the Batman comics, always enjoyed the cartoons done by Timm and Dini and with the way Marvel has ruined Spidey I have no more interest in his comics. What are good trades for the Dark Knight? Thanks!

Jason Todd
26th Apr 2009, 20:32
If TPB's are Graphic novels lol, because im slow and don't know, some good ones are

The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
The Killing Joke
Batman: Year One
The Dark Knight Returns
Hush Vol. 1 & 2
The Resurrection of Ra's Al Gul....

Um...thats the best I can do off the top of my head

IGN did a list with the top 25
http://comics.ign.com/articles/624/624619p1.html

stoobytoons
26th Apr 2009, 21:03
^You got it. "TPB's" I believe is an abbreviation for "trade paper-backs."

I hear that Batman: Hush is a good one too. I agree with the previous list, btw.

Also, definitely check out "Joker" which just came out last year. The art is simply amazing!

Jason Todd
26th Apr 2009, 21:08
^You got it. "TPB's" I believe is an abbreviation for "trade paper-backs."

I hear that Batman: Hush is a good one too. I agree with the previous list, btw.

Also, definitely check out "Joker" which just came out last year. The art is simply amazing!

I have Joker but the title is so vague I didnt wanna list it lol, and yeah that and Hush are both pretty good reads

stoobytoons
26th Apr 2009, 21:13
I have Joker but the title is so vague I didnt wanna list it lol, and yeah that and Hush are both pretty good reads

Right on.

Oh! Duh! Check out Knightfall! Even the novelization by Denny O'Neil is quite good!
Contagion is also pretty interesting, though a little "Outbreak-ish."

Jason Todd
26th Apr 2009, 21:15
Right on.

Oh! Duh! Check out Knightfall! Even the novelization by Denny O'Neil is quite good!
Contagion is also pretty interesting, though a little "Outbreak-ish."

I've been looking for Knightfall but they're like 14-20 bucks each and I wanna have all three when i read them, same thing with No Man's Land I can't find a bundle for a good price

DarkCrusader67
26th Apr 2009, 22:36
Did nobody mention Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth!?!?

or the new modernized classic of Batman: Year One? Frank Miller's a genius!

I'd reccomend those two!! Maybe not Arkham Asylum for a novice cause it's so abstractly confusing but definately Year One. It's a great basis for Batman

Jason Todd
26th Apr 2009, 23:26
Maybe not Arkham Asylum for a novice cause it's so abstractly confusing but definately Year One. It's a great basis for Batman

Thats why I didn't bring it up, I mean the story is great but the art style is so....in your face I didnt care for it

KillerCroc
26th Apr 2009, 23:33
My favorite would be Frank Miller's Batman: Year One. I also think Harley Quinn: Preludes and Knock-Knock Jokes is pretty good.

Kai Rei
27th Apr 2009, 00:03
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean is a good book that I recomend to any Bat-Fan.

DarkCrusader67
27th Apr 2009, 02:54
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean is a good book that I recomend to any Bat-Fan.

but don't you think it's a bit much for a novice bat-fan? There's no background or basis unlike in most stories so it's just a whole lot of in-your-face pages!

Kai Rei
27th Apr 2009, 03:13
but don't you think it's a bit much for a novice bat-fan? There's no background or basis unlike in most stories so it's just a whole lot of in-your-face pages!

I guess. There's cursing and sexual theme's in the book., so it's a pretty mature take and the way in which the book pace's along may be hard for younger people to understand. But it's still a great book, lol.

DarkCrusader67
27th Apr 2009, 03:48
I guess. There's cursing and sexual theme's in the book., so it's a pretty mature take and the way in which the book pace's along may be hard for younger people to understand. But it's still a great book, lol.

true that. it's still one of my favorites :)

Red Robin
27th Apr 2009, 11:59
I started with Arkham Asylum and tbh it is a bit jarring but it's definatley an essential read first or later,
But if you wanna read some batman stuff in trade I would go:
Batman: year one
The man who Laughs
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Dark Knight Returns

It all kinda forms an out-of-contiunutiy series which is a really good introduction, if you like those go for the classics:

The Killing Joke (get the new deluxe hardcover, it looks AWSOME!)
Hush (maybe tbh u either love it or you hate it but the art is pretty)
Knightfall
Arkham Asylum

All that crazy good stuff =)

djsaiyan
27th Apr 2009, 15:41
My personal faves:

THE KILLING JOKE
Knightfall
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
No Man's Land
The Long Halloween
The Man Who Laughs
Batman: Year One

KillerCroc
27th Apr 2009, 19:53
It seems like everybody agrees on the same. How about some good other books that are out there that you have read. I still like Harley Quinn: Preludes and Knock-Knock Jokes, maybe not the best story or artist, but it's still good.

Leather Wings
28th Apr 2009, 05:06
Picked up "Lovers And Madmen" and read it before work today. It's definately on my "Must Read" list now.