PDA

View Full Version : Off-Topic

Ensanguined Walls
26th Apr 2009, 07:09
I looked at the Terms of Service, and they didn't reference content that is respectful but a bit of a deviation. I thought we could use a thread when there's a slow news day for this game to simply chat in an appropriate way about our lives or any happenings that you would like to discuss with the community.

Kai Rei
26th Apr 2009, 07:21
Good idea.

I'm just waiting form my sister to get out of the bathroom because I need a sprinkle.

Ensanguined Walls
26th Apr 2009, 07:28
Good idea.

I'm just waiting form my sister to get out of the bathroom because I need a sprinkle.

Sounds like a Twitter update, lol.

What do you guys think about the Swine flu going around? Scary stuff.

Kai Rei
26th Apr 2009, 07:31
Sounds like a Twitter update, lol.

What do you guys think about the Swine flu going around? Scary stuff.

What? A new flu?!

There's so many virus's and stuff around these day's that I'm beginning to think the Government are "manufacturing" them...

Ensanguined Walls
26th Apr 2009, 07:32
What? A new flu?!

There's so many virus's and stuff around these day's that I'm beginning to think the Government are "manufacturing" them...

Yup. It's killed 81 people in Mexico thus far, and it's a flu that's showing resistance to many vaccines. There are cases being reported in Texas, Kansas, California, and even New Zealand. Two New Yorkers had to quarantine themselves because they had the symptoms. Officials are warning it could be a pandemic.

It's all over the news. Where have you been? :P

Kai Rei
26th Apr 2009, 07:40
Yup. It's killed 81 people in Mexico thus far, and it's a flu that's showing resistance to many vaccines. There are cases being reported in Texas, Kansas, California, and even New Zealand. Two New Yorkers had to quarantine themselves because they had the symptoms. Officials are warning it could be a pandemic.

It's all over the news. Where have you been? :P

What frighten's me is that my mom's been complainning of a painful "head-flu" she's been having lately. Hope it's not related.

Lol, I never watch the new's these day's. Too much BS pulled off by the media, everything's exaggerated.

You know, there's supposedly been a raging war going on for age's between police officer's and drug cartel's/lord's in Mexico I think. The Gov. probably created the swine flu to kill the cratel's because from what I gathered, the gov. couldn't do anything about them and they've [drug cartel's] already crossed the border and gone into Texas where my aunt live's. [lol]

Ensanguined Walls
26th Apr 2009, 07:41
Lol, I never watch the new's these day's. Too much BS pulled off by the media, everything's exaggerated.

Well, the World Health Organization is reporting about it too, if that makes it any better.

Which country do you live in? Only US and Mexico have serious cases thus far.

Kai Rei
26th Apr 2009, 07:53
Well, the World Health Organization is reporting about it too, if that makes it any better.

Which country do you live in? Only US and Mexico have serious cases thus far.

I live in the UK, so with a bit of luck it will be terminated before it reache's this state.

Ensanguined Walls
26th Apr 2009, 07:58
I live in the UK, so with a bit of luck it will be terminated before it reache's this state.

That sucks. Cases have been reported in London.

thebatman226
26th Apr 2009, 08:01
a couple of reports of the flu are surfacing in australia, this is getting a lil scary ><

Kai Rei
26th Apr 2009, 08:02
That sucks. Cases have been reported in London.

Holy f**k, that's not far from where I live. I live in York. S**t. This isn't good...

Ensanguined Walls
26th Apr 2009, 08:02
a couple of reports of the flu are surfacing in australia, this is getting a lil scary ><

Apparently, twenty-five students in New Zealand came back from Mexico with the Swine flu.

Ensanguined Walls
26th Apr 2009, 08:04
Well, if we're all gonna knock off and die, can Eidos release Arkham Asylum faster?

:lol:

thebatman226
26th Apr 2009, 08:04
Apparently, twenty-five students in New Zealand came back from Mexico with the Swine flu.

woahh, i hope they figure summink out to stop the spreading of this thing :/

Kai Rei
26th Apr 2009, 08:33
This flu is spreading ridiculously fast. Watch it take over England/London and cause a "28 Days Later" scenario...

Ensanguined Walls
26th Apr 2009, 08:35
This flu is spreading ridiculously fast. Watch it take over England/London and cause a "28 Days Later" scenario...

Thank the United States for manufacturing the virus:

Given the reports of the possibility of a swine flu epidemic, is interesting to note that last time there was a significant outbreak of a new form of swine flu in the U.S. it originated at the army base at Fort Dix, New Jersey. Hundreds of soldiers on the base, mostly recruits, were infected without becoming ill in 1976. President Gerald Ford immediately ordered a nationwide vaccination program. More than 40 million people were vaccinated. However, the program was stopped short after over 500 cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome, a severe paralyzing nerve disease, were reported. 30 people died as a direct result of the vaccinations. Unanswered questions regarding the outbreak remain to this day. According to a CDC investigation, It is not known why the virus did not extend beyond basic trainees or beyond the military base. The source of the virus, the exact time of its introduction into Fort Dix, and factors limiting its spread and duration remain unknown.

Ensanguined Walls
26th Apr 2009, 08:36
The chance that its Swine Flue is man-made is 95% because:
1. It appeared suddenly this month.
2. It is a genetic mix of swine-bird-human
3. It is spreading on a non-flu time of the year
4. It is spreading rapidly, more so than regular flu

Kai Rei
26th Apr 2009, 08:40

Given the reports of the possibility of a swine flu epidemic, is interesting to note that last time there was a significant outbreak of a new form of swine flu in the U.S. it originated at the army base at Fort Dix, New Jersey. Hundreds of soldiers on the base, mostly recruits, were infected without becoming ill in 1976. President Gerald Ford immediately ordered a nationwide vaccination program. More than 40 million people were vaccinated. However, the program was stopped short after over 500 cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome, a severe paralyzing nerve disease, were reported. 30 people died as a direct result of the vaccinations. Unanswered questions regarding the outbreak remain to this day. According to a CDC investigation, It is not known why the virus did not extend beyond basic trainees or beyond the military base. The source of the virus, the exact time of its introduction into Fort Dix, and factors limiting its spread and duration remain unknown.

*sigh*

Why am I not suprised? F**king ignorant military b**tard's. :(

Kai Rei
26th Apr 2009, 08:42

Some Gov. probably unleashed it in order to stop the world over populating, and then claim it's a flu which has suddenly been created by nature or something along those line's.

Ensanguined Walls
26th Apr 2009, 08:48
Some Gov. probably unleashed it in order to stop the world over populating, and then claim it's a flu which has suddenly been created by nature or something along those line's.

Well, if the virus was indeed man-made by a nefarious government that wanted to medically retaliate, and if these culprits do turn out to be American, I, as an American myself, wish to apologize on behalf of every untainted citizen.

I don't want to dip into conspiracies, but it's troubling.

imported_The_Dark_Knight
26th Apr 2009, 09:31
Holy f**k, that's not far from where I live. I live in York. S**t. This isn't good...

And I live in Leeds :O

Keir
28th Apr 2009, 11:10
I'll leave this thread to see how it gets on, but also remember that there's Community Chat (http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72) here.

chip5541
28th Apr 2009, 13:49

Thanks to teh internet. It has actually been going on for a while which may be part of Mexico's fault for not reporting it when it first started. BTW. The first case was reported to Mexican doctors March 18.

This means nothing in regards to proving some grand conspiracy since the influenza virus constantly mutate and swine can be infected by both Avian and Human Influenza viruses.
From the CDC

How many swine flu viruses are there?
Like all influenza viruses, swine flu viruses change constantly. Pigs can be infected by avian influenza and human influenza viruses as well as swine influenza viruses. When influenza viruses from different species infect pigs, the viruses can reassert (i.e. swap genes) and new viruses that are a mix of swine, human and/or avian influenza viruses can emerge. Over the years, different variations of swine flu viruses have emerged. At this time, there are four main influenza type A virus subtypes that have been isolated in pigs: H1N1, H1N2, H3N2, and H3N1. However, most of the recently isolated influenza viruses from pigs have been H1N1 viruses.

Say what? The Influenza virus is most prominent during the cold, low humidity months. In 2006 it didn't end until the end of April.

A single cough of an infected person can transmit the sickness to an entire room full of people. Now imagine being on an Airplane for several hours. Add to that changing flights. Add to that standing in long lines at the airport. Now go out for dinner after landing. Now check into the hotel. You are now a desk clerk checking in someone that is infected. The person hands you cash or a credit card. You make change, you handle other peoples credit cards. In under 24 hours you have a virus that started in Mexico and is now all over the world and it only took 1 day.

For information: http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/key_facts.htm

chip5541
28th Apr 2009, 14:01

Jesus, did you even read the CDC report?

Influenza A/Victoria-like strains had been identified in New Jersey as early as January 21, 1976. By the end of January, the state had investigated reports of high employee and student absenteeism and a hospital outbreak. Patients in all episodes were sampled by using virus isolation and serologic testing. All laboratory reports indicated A/Victoria virus infections (4).

A/New Jersey/76 (Hsw1N1) was likely introduced into Fort Dix early in 1976, after the holidays (15). The virus caused disease with radiologic evidence of pneumonia in at least 4 soldiers and 1 death; all of these patients had previously been healthy (7,15). The virus was transmitted to close contacts in the unique basic training environment, with limited transmission outside the basic training group. A/New Jersey probably circulated for a month and disappeared. The source of the virus, the exact time of its introduction into Fort Dix, and factors limiting its spread and duration are unknown (15).

The Fort Dix outbreak may have been a zoonotic anomaly caused by introduction of an animal virus into a stressed population in close contact in crowded facilities during a cold winter. However, the impact of A/New Jersey virus on this healthy young population was severe in terms of estimated infections, hospitalizations, and duration of the outbreak.

If the outbreak was more than an anomaly, why did it not extend beyond basic trainees? Several factors merit consideration. Contact between basic trainees and others was limited. Moreover, a swine influenza antigen was included in annual military influenza vaccine formulations from 1955 through 1969 (10). The high antibody titers to A/Mayo Clinic antigen observed with increasing age in the Phlebotomy Clinic population may reflect earlier influenza A (H1N1) infections or vaccine exposure and some protection (11). Also, competition between A/New Jersey and A/Victoria viruses must be considered. The A/Victoria virus spread widely and may have limited the impact of A/New Jersey virus with its lesser ability for human transmission.

Could the Fort Dix outbreak have resulted from interaction between swine influenza A and A/Victoria viruses? A/Victoria transmission occurred in New Jersey before A/New Jersey was identified at Fort Dix. Is it possible that A/Victoria virus and an early A/New Jersey virus coinfected a soldier with genetic exchange, resulting in a recombinant virus with enhanced human transmission capability? The rapid disappearance of A/New Jersey prohibited studies of virus interactions. Genetic analyses of A/New Jersey, A/Victoria and contemporary A/swine viruses might elucidate a relationship.

Communication and collaboration existed at the onset of the outbreak and continued throughout the investigation. The points of contact at the NJ Department of Health, Fort Dix, CDC, and WRAIR had been established before the outbreak, so time was not lost identifying organizations and persons who needed to be contacted. Organizational roles were defined early and respected. The development of outbreak investigation plans, collaboration in field and laboratory work, and exchange of information occurred smoothly. An important part of the Army investigation was establishment of points of contact at WRAIR who communicated with military leaders, the NJ Department of Health, CDC, and the press. Military epidemiology and laboratory teams reported to WRAIR points of contact. This system protected these teams from disruptive inquiries.

Zoonotic: Pertaining to a zoonosis: a disease that can be transmitted from animals to people or, more specifically, a disease that normally exists in animals but that can infect humans.

imported_The_Dark_Knight
28th Apr 2009, 22:30
The admins are in town! :P

Gho-Gerhowev
28th Apr 2009, 22:50
I'll leave this thread to see how it gets on, but also remember that there's Community Chat (http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72) here.

Aye, but I think that this was intended to be a chat for Batman fans, so that we all know each other more instead of heading over to a more general board.

Lunar
28th Apr 2009, 22:52
I heard it came from a pig.

Kai Rei
29th Apr 2009, 01:08
I heard it came from a pig.

I heard it came from Bush after he bent over and let one rip.

Lunar
29th Apr 2009, 02:00

I heard it came from Bush after he bent over and let one rip.
Seriously there are many people deing and it just hit the U.S. this is not a joke Obama has just ask the forgot there names for 1.5bil. Swine stands for pig.

Kai Rei
29th Apr 2009, 02:08
Seriously there are many people deing and it just hit the U.S. this is not a joke Obama has just ask the forgot there names for 1.5bil. Swine stands for pig.

I know swine is another word for pig.