PDA

View Full Version : Nosgoth Tie-in Web Comic Series?

CountEyokir
13th Feb 2014, 11:14
How many of you would like a tie in online web-comic to run alongside Nosgoth? Not just a one off comic like the Soul Reaver or Defiance Top Cow comics but a lasting series to help promote the game, give disappointed fans the complex character and story they enjoy and to actively explore new elements which might feature later in the game itself? Yay or Nay or suggestions?

lucinvampire
13th Feb 2014, 11:45
I’d LOVE to see an official comic tie in with Nosgoth – especially love to see the blog stories such as the Alcs and the Razzies with artwork (well actually all of the blog stories - and of course more!) – and like you say to give something more to the lore as well as to promote the game…

Comics rule and so does Nosgoth so put the two together and you get total awesomenessnessnessnessnessness!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

CountEyokir
13th Feb 2014, 11:47
Thanks George for editing my typo there!

Trinoko
13th Feb 2014, 17:34
Not even gonna read everything. Anything new or even just more to the LoK series gets my support!

Bakurenoh
13th Feb 2014, 23:02
Id love a comic of some form. Nosgoth is fun to play, but for everybody unlike most of us die hard fans they may be a little low on LOK story. So if we could have some new material to run along side it i think it can only be of benefit to both old and new comers.

CountEyokir
14th Feb 2014, 10:43
Some long running series with a mechanic to both tie into the lore and backstory of the SP titles would be a must. In terms of lore, a war taking place when Nosgoth is dying and we already know the outcome is a bit isolated

Afreeby
14th Feb 2014, 13:12
I would be all for a dedicated web comic. The great thing is you have roughly 1000 years to work with, maybe a little less, since it would probably take a few decades to centuries for the fledgling Razielim to both sprout their wings and to claw out of their underground tomb. That is a long stretch of time to add some good lore. I think it would be pretty cool to have the war between the clans and the humans last for a few hundred years. It also allows Psyonix a lot of room to add stuff from the comic into future versions of the game. I really see no downside, unless the quality of the writing is poor.

Shalliar
14th Feb 2014, 16:41
You totally should remove second variant in this poll, imo.

Varulven
14th Feb 2014, 17:34
You totally should remove second variant in this poll, imo.

xDDDDD
*seaches the 'I totally agree while laughing' button*

Umah_Bloodomen
14th Feb 2014, 18:38
I could go for a tie-in comic series. (web-based would be cool too - more cost effective and an overall better means to get it to the general public).

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Nosgoth lore weaved more in to the existing lore rather than a standalone Nosgoth comic. This could ultimately bring whole series "full circle" if-you-will and make Nosgoth more relatable (if that makes sense).

VVZigel
15th Feb 2014, 05:13
I personally think that it could be rather problematic...
While this might seem like an opportunity for developing the Universe of LoK - I think that whoever is going to undertake it should be careful not to overburden it, because, you know, we've already got non-canon looking vampires, a lot of things forgotten (lycantropes, magic, a ton of other stuff), other things popping up... I just don't want to bump into the fact that during this millenia a hundred dozen things happened which turned out to be just as vital for Nosghoth as Kain's quest.

Comic about Razielim and their fate? - That would be lovely.
Anything else - better off without it. I'd like history preserved as it is, because I am hoping (silly fool) for a new game in the series.
What we currently have - is Human Rebellion, bloody and violent event, which, although a thing of the past, had no effect on the general plot. Lets keep things as they are - history abhors a paradox.

CountEyokir
15th Feb 2014, 08:14
I personally think that it could be rather problematic...
While this might seem like an opportunity for developing the Universe of LoK - I think that whoever is going to undertake it should be careful not to overburden it, because, you know, we've already got non-canon looking vampires, a lot of things forgotten (lycantropes, magic, a ton of other stuff), other things popping up... I just don't want to bump into the fact that during this millenia a hundred dozen things happened which turned out to be just as vital for Nosghoth as Kain's quest.

Comic about Razielim and their fate? - That would be lovely.
Anything else - better off without it. I'd like history preserved as it is, because I am hoping (silly fool) for a new game in the series.
What we currently have - is Human Rebellion, bloody and violent event, which, although a thing of the past, had no effect on the general plot. Lets keep things as they are - history abhors a paradox.

My idea was for a comic to make sense of the background lore of Nosgoth with the focus being on a set of characters to whom the events depicted have meaning and weight. It'd be isolated for sure and if Kain himself were to make an appearance, it certainly wouldn't be to fill in what happened to him since the end of Defiance. The focus would have to be on a new protagonist like the Gein/Ashar concept - although with a lot more originality then that Raziel copy-cat could have hoped for. Any comic series undertaken would have to consider several things when plotting out their stories -

1) Is it necessary?
2) Does it fit with the feel of the world?
3) Is it consistent with what's already been said?
4) Is it what Amy would have written in this situation?
5) If it is, how would she have gone about expressing it?

VVZigel
15th Feb 2014, 09:05
My idea was for a comic to make sense of the background lore of Nosgoth with the focus being on a set of characters to whom the events depicted have meaning and weight. It'd be isolated for sure and if Kain himself were to make an appearance, it certainly wouldn't be to fill in what happened to him since the end of Defiance. The focus would have to be on a new protagonist like the Gein/Ashar concept - although with a lot more originality then that Raziel copy-cat could have hoped for. Any comic series undertaken would have to consider several things when plotting out their stories -

That's exactly what I am against...
Since Kain ain't present in current time period - there is no higher meaning to the current events. What we have here - is an all-out warfare: humanity against its captors. A perfect opportunity to introduce history of this world, its lore, races, etc. But a major plotline? - I certainly vote "No". However there is enough room to tell about the events of the rebellion: how Zephonim have captured that cathedral, Dumah's downfall, how Rahabim have claimed their territory... But all these events have unfolded during a millenia - because of this we can't have one single protagonist (assuming he is human).

CountEyokir
15th Feb 2014, 10:20
That's exactly what I am against...
Since Kain ain't present in current time period - there is no higher meaning to the current events. What we have here - is an all-out warfare: humanity against its captors. A perfect opportunity to introduce history of this world, its lore, races, etc. But a major plotline? - I certainly vote "No". However there is enough room to tell about the events of the rebellion: how Zephonim have captured that cathedral, Dumah's downfall, how Rahabim have claimed their territory... But all these events have unfolded during a millenia - because of this we can't have one single protagonist (assuming he is human).

I don't think there would be any point to just 'the tales of the war - LoK version' because that's not what the series ought be about and we shouldn't introduce new fans to the series that way if we don't want the theme of the series to change to something unrecognisable. Yes these are events that ought be covered in the comic if possible but having them tie into a larger storyline with a deeper effect would do much to introduce new fans to the way LoK is supposed to be seen.

VVZigel
15th Feb 2014, 10:27
I don't think there would be any point to just 'the tales of the war - LoK version' because that's not what the series ought be about and we shouldn't introduce new fans to the series that way if we don't want the theme of the series to change to something unrecognisable. Yes these are events that ought be covered in the comic if possible but having them tie into a larger storyline with a deeper effect would do much to introduce new fans to the way LoK is supposed to be seen.

Then why not simply make a series of comics covering previous games?

CountEyokir
15th Feb 2014, 10:44
Then why not simply make a series of comics covering previous games?

Because Soul Reaver and Defiance were already done by Top Cow. Blood Omen 2 ought get its own comic series in my opinion, just for its unique theme - but not so much if you want to tie this game into the official canon

VVZigel
15th Feb 2014, 11:25
Because Soul Reaver and Defiance were already done by Top Cow. Blood Omen 2 ought get its own comic series in my opinion, just for its unique theme - but not so much if you want to tie this game into the official canon

These would hardly suffice for a proper comic. They're basically 1-offs; just an appetizer.

CountEyokir
15th Feb 2014, 12:04
These would hardly suffice for a proper comic. They're basically 1-offs; just an appetizer.

Novelisations would work better for those games rather then full comics - although I would certainly not say 'No' if anyone every wanted to do it in comic form.

RemovedQuasar
16th Feb 2014, 01:59
Tell me why i should vote "no" *-*

CAR105_3
16th Feb 2014, 18:48
Yes, but only if it deals with the disappearance, genocide or downfall of the Razielim. So that we can finally know what happened to them.

Therealrabban
17th Feb 2014, 01:10
Just make another one-shot comic. A comic book series is doing too much. I saw those God of War and Dante's Inferno Comics, they were a waste of paper.

Bazielim
17th Feb 2014, 01:57
Well I'm all for expanding the LoK universe further, but I think same rules apply as for everything else - it's gotta be done right and by the right people. If it's good and works well with everything then a series would be great, but a poor attempt I'd be less receptive of. Haven't encountered much official stuff I'd prefer to discount yet though - even Vorgeschicte (http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Vorgeschichte) has it's own charms.

CountEyokir
17th Feb 2014, 15:37
If everyone's ever read any of the Assassins creed comic tie ins, I was thinking along that route - where you have a semi self contained adventure which bleeds back into the games that come after or during its run

Varulven
17th Feb 2014, 17:25
Just make another one-shot comic. A comic book series is doing too much. I saw those God of War and Dante's Inferno Comics, they were a waste of paper.

A one-shot comic for every class would be nice. The Razielim are not the only ones who have an interesting background story.

CountEyokir
17th Feb 2014, 17:56
A one-shot comic for every class would be nice. The Razielim are not the only ones who have an interesting background story.

I think such a thing, since we have no in depth characters currently available , (in-depth characters defines the series - we need them) would be a big waste of potential

Varulven
17th Feb 2014, 18:11
I think such a thing, since we have no in depth characters currently available with defines the series (we need them) would be a big waste of potential

We just need a creative mastermind who excogitates a character for each class and makes a short story around him/her.
Even I gave the playable characters names and created stories about them in my mind. ^^

CountEyokir
17th Feb 2014, 18:20
We just need a creative mastermind who excogitates a character for each class and makes a short story around him/her.
Even I gave the playable characters names and created stories about them in my mind. ^^

Not sure if even that is the sort of thing we need. Making likeable characters for every class is a must but separate stories, perhaps not. We need something that ties it all together and with the Lok series games themselves if we really want a sense of continuality.

Lets face it, the end goal of 'Nosgoth' at least from our point of view - is to kick start the series again so Simon Templeman and his marvellous voice can bring Kain back to life again. Diverting from that with nothing but ' tales of the war for Nosgoth' would be something that would I think prompt development of more of the same. A focus on in depth character and complex story needs to be insisted on over and over so we don't give developers the wrong idea.

I'm thinking of the Assassins creed comics - The Fall. That featured a isolated protagonist on his own adventure complete separate from the main story. It then bled over into the games when they did AC3 and you faced that protagonist as a villain.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin's_Creed:_The_Fall

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Daniel_Cross

This is the formula I think that would work quite well in exploring the lore of the game itself as well as maintain the rich character driven narrative.

Varulven
17th Feb 2014, 18:27
10 people = 10 different opinions :rolleyes:

So you want a new LoK comic with Kain as main character? Or did I get it wrong?
Because I thought it should be a comic about the war of Nosgoth, right?

CountEyokir
19th Feb 2014, 14:11
10 people = 10 different opinions :rolleyes:

So you want a new LoK comic with Kain as main character? Or did I get it wrong?
Because I thought it should be a comic about the war of Nosgoth, right?

odiously not but I didn't say bring Kain in as the main character. Creating a new, unique protagonist can easily be done. In the game unless we get a cooperative campaign mode we aren't likely to see events such as Dumah's impalement of Zephon's taking of the cathedral explained or at least not satisfactorily. A protagonist can be involved in these events giving them all a sense of weight because they have consequence to someone relatable and identifiable.

Kain could show up as we know he and Rahab kept in contact. I can easily imagine him popping in and out, keeping tabs on what happens in the world but finding the war and struggle of little actual importance to him because he can see by looking at the dying world around them that it's pointless and that needs to be addressed first.