PDA

View Full Version : What do you like about Batman (the 70-year series as a whole)?

Darkboy
25th Apr 2009, 14:19
I'm sorry if there's already a topic like this, I wasn't sure if there was or not.

Seeing as probably all of us are Batfans here, I'm curious as to what it is that makes you feel motivated to keep on being a Batfan.

For me, it was a few things. Growing up, I never got a lot of chances to read comic books, but the Batman cartoon was quite awesome. Batman: The Animated Series absolutely amazed me, and it made up my childhood more than anything else. To this day I still really enjoy watching it, I think it's absolutely incredible that it can appeal to such a wide audience. I'd like to get the whole series on DVD someday. Some of my favorite things about it were how they changed some characters for the better (Mr. Freeze) and even brought in some cool new ones (most famously Harley Quinn). I think the reason it doesn't get the attention it deserves is maybe some people are deterred by the art style and automatically assume it to be too kiddy. This is definitely the darkest animated thing I've ever seen. I'm sure I don't have to remind everyone of such tragic episodes like "Heart of Ice" and "Two-Face".

Of course, this is to be expected, but another factor that really got me hooked was The Dark Knight. That movie was the bomb. I loved it. It's so sad that Heath Ledger passed. He was the best Joker ever! Before anyone stirs anything up, yes, the other Joker incarnations are awesome, and to me I think a lot of it also has to be attributed to the way Christopher Nolan wrote the character in his film, but still, Heath put all the acting in, and boy, was it splendid. I love Mark Hamill's Joker, he's very awesome, but if they put a Joker closer to Heath's in this game, I'd be even MORE excited for it!

Something I always appreciated that doesn't have to be attributed to a specific form of media is the characters. No other fictional series I can recall threw in such depth for their characters. Batman's rogues gallery is also famously awesome. I like a lot of them, ESPECIALLY people like Joker and Mr. Freeze (the better portrayals of him, anyways), but my favorite of all is Two-Face. I know a lot of people don't consider him to be the best Batman villain ever, or even all that exciting, but I like Two-Face because he's easy to relate to. He was a good guy meaning to bring about integrity in a tough world, and then some terrible thing happened that trapped all his goodness inside. The most emotionally and psychologically complex and gripping Batman stories I've ever witnessed all largely involved Two-Face in some way.

I'm trying to get myself some good Batman comics. I don't have a lot of comics already, just Watchmen, Marvel VS DC and a few others. What do you guys like about Batman?

Drazar
25th Apr 2009, 14:27
I like Batman becauses hes a sociopath who think hes above the law and fights crime dressing up as a Bat and creating a family around him to fight crime, the whole point of Batman to fight crime is because he got alone, but he doesnt always realize he has never been alone but he has more family than some people can never archieve.

Bob Kane
25th Apr 2009, 14:36
I love batman because he's a normal people ....
Batman is a psychologically character very simple because:
Nothing super powers, only the strength of his natural skills trained during the years, his intelligence investigation and engineering and finally its monetary assets that he uses to good purpose: fight the crime! :hmm: