PDA

View Full Version : Where do you come from?

Jerion
25th Apr 2009, 01:04
People on this forum tend to come from two different backgrounds: Those who played Deus Ex 9 years ago and have mostly been playing FPS games since, and those who played Deus Ex 9 years ago and have mostly been playing RPG games since. There's some overlap though. So I figured I'd make this poll and see where people come from in terms of their gaming history.

The poll is from 1 to 7, where 1 is a person who heavily favors RPG games, with little or no involvement with the FPS genre, 7 is heavily favoring FPS games with little or no involvement in the RPG genre. 4 is half&half.

Why does it go to 7 instead of 10? Because I like the number 7. Deal with it.

GmanPro
25th Apr 2009, 01:27
I'm with pha. Three sounds about right for me. But I've also been playing a lot of RTS. Probably more so than FPS games.

Jerion
25th Apr 2009, 01:30
^^ Well, yeah, but you can't have a three-way poll in a number scale. :D

Actually, I challenge somebody to find a way to do that!

GmanPro
25th Apr 2009, 01:32
You know, there was actually a sort of FPS/RTS hybrid game I played once. Urban Assault I think it was called.

Oh but, u were talking about the number scale thingie...

Jerion
25th Apr 2009, 01:35
You know, there was actually a sort of FPS/RTS hybrid game I played once. Urban Assault I think it was called.

Oh but, u were talking about the number scale thingie...

Well if you want to go that direction, then techincally BF 2 and BF 2142 qualify as MFPRTSSs. :)

GmanPro
25th Apr 2009, 01:37
^^ Yyyyyeah, sorta I guess. There's a bit of RPG there too because u can pick and choose a class type.

Jerion
25th Apr 2009, 01:43
True. So...MFPRPRTSSs. That's not even an abbreviation anymore. :D

FrankCSIS
25th Apr 2009, 01:44

Same way you calculate the orbit of a planet around two suns?

Hmmmm, not quite.

I'd go with 3 as well. Played a crapload of RPG's, but it seems like I've played nothing but FPS in the last portion of that timeline, as well as much online FPS around the same time as DX.

IOOI
25th Apr 2009, 02:12
As I said in my presentation, I'm mainly an FPS gamer (voted 7).
The only RPGs I've ever played were Diablo, Fallout 2 (never finished them:o ) and Crusaders of Might and Magic (3rd person action/RPG).

Fallout 2 was/is a beautiful game, but at the time (y2K) I was playing UT and F2 looked to mutch complicated. Deus Ex handled the FPS/RPG fusion very well and from then on I was always wishing for someone to turn F2 in an FPS (or TPS). And guess what? It happened!:D

Now I'll try to expand my gaming taste (I'm fed up with games like UT:nut: ) and give a try to F2 and others.

Blade_hunter
25th Apr 2009, 02:20
I discovered deus ex 2 years after its release and it was an unknown game for most people, I know.
This time I was mostly an FPS fan, but RPG and RTS came after and those changed even the vision of some games, and when I got deus ex I got a dream into reality, a game that combines FPS and RPG, after that I began to research some games that combines the two genres like system shock.

I stay a FPS fan, mostly since there is only the FPS that gave to player immersion, sensations.
I love the RPGs for most things like the adventures and the stories developed.
I love the RTS more for tactical choices and management we got.

3nails4you
25th Apr 2009, 03:03

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk265/cc3nails4you/Untitled-2.jpg

1 is 1 option, 4 another, and 7 another. 2 and 3 would be between 1 and 4 but liking 7 the least, and so on with the other sides. 10 would like all equally, and 1, 4, and 7 would like only that option. As the triangle grows, you can get more specific. I can has cookie?

EDIT: This would work a lot better if these forums allowed spaces :P because the spacing worked out perfectly. I hope this image gets the right idea.

And with the exception of an MMO here or there, I'm all abouts my FPS's.

Jerion
25th Apr 2009, 03:18

1 is 1 option, 4 another, and 7 another. 2 and 3 would be between 1 and 4 but liking 7 the least, and so on with the other sides. 10 would like all equally, and 1, 4, and 7 would like only that option. As the triangle grows, you can get more specific. I can has cookie?

EDIT: This would work a lot better if these forums allowed spaces :P because the spacing worked out perfectly. I hope this image gets the right idea.

And with the exception of an MMO here or there, I'm all abouts my FPS's.

You should win a prize for that! I'm keeping that image.

SemiAnonymous
25th Apr 2009, 03:19
I prefer RPG elements (read: Adore), and honesty, they can work in most games if done right. I do like FPS', and I've found myself playing quite a few as of late (FO3, Crysis, Painkiller [<3] mainly). I voted 3

3nails4you
25th Apr 2009, 03:25
You should win a prize for that! I'm keeping that image.

Like I said, you make it bigger with more numbers, you can obviously be much more specific. I made this up while thinking about calculating sine, cosine, etc. using the farthest side of a triangle from a specific corner, where the height length is the most.

Making me a DX3 beta tester, I wouldn't argue with :D :D :D

JCD
25th Apr 2009, 03:27
Tough call.

- I love RPGs, especially the FPRPGs. I like the classic ones of course but...System Shock 2 "made" me, shame on them :D

- I have played A LOT of MP FPS games in the past (mostly Q3A), up to a point that I probably had 7 senses. I don't consider it sth good though, that is why I stopped.

- I play every major FPS title that comes out. I like FPS, they are like movies were you are the protagonist. But - FPRPGs do it even better, because in a way, YOU make the movie. In FPS games, you just play the role. It can be excellent (Half Life series), it can be bad/mediocre.

- The stealth games are what? 1st/3rd person Shooters/RPGs? Titles like Thief, Hitman, Splinter Cell, were do they fit?

- I love the whole "Character Building" in an RPG.

- I also love the tactical FPS games, a LOT.

So, what do all these give us? My problem is that I don't consider titles like SWAT 3/4, the old Rainbow Six games or the Battlefield/Vietcong/Operation Flashpoint/Brothers in Arms/etc games to be a "classic representative" of the FPS genre.

Classic FPS games are Serious Sam, Painkiller, Doom, FEAR, Quake and so on. Call of Duty, AvP, Far Cry, Crysis and the rest come next. Then comes Half-Life in a category of it own. And then, a mile away down the road (imho at least) come all these titles I mentioned above. A typical FPS player can't handle games like SWAT or Battlefield - there, tactics are needed.

I know I make it sound like "FPS gamers who play Operation Flashpoint or Project Reality are elitists and distinguish themselves from the lot", but truthfully...that is the case. These players stick to details, have lots of patience and can easily adapt to an RPG game, whereas a typical FPS player who plays Halo...can't.

So, I believe that although I like tactical/stealth/realistic FPS games almost as much as I like RPG games, because I find them not to be pure FPS games, I will vote (2) :cool:

Necros
25th Apr 2009, 03:33
While I favor FPS and RPG genres equally, if I had to pick one, I'd go with RPG's. So I chose #3.
:thumb: Same here.

Romeo
25th Apr 2009, 04:24
People on this forum tend to come from two different backgrounds: Those who played Deus Ex 9 years ago and have mostly been playing FPS games since, and those who played Deus Ex 9 years ago and have mostly been playing RPG games since. There's some overlap though. So I figured I'd make this poll and see where people come from in terms of their gaming history.

The poll is from 1 to 7, where 1 is a person who heavily favors RPG games, with little or no involvement with the FPS genre, 7 is heavily favoring FPS games with little or no involvement in the RPG genre. 4 is half&half.

Why does it go to 7 instead of 10? Because I like the number 7. Deal with it.
I refuse to deal with it. I could just edit that out... Or delete the thread!

And here I though I would be in the minority pick #3, but I see that EVERYONE else did too. :p

3nails4you
25th Apr 2009, 04:56
I refuse to deal with it. I could just edit that out... Or delete the thread!

And here I though I would be in the minority pick #3, but I see that EVERYONE else did too. :p

I said 6...

Lo Bruto
25th Apr 2009, 06:15
Nowadays, I'd say 6. I'm a tactical shooter buff. (Including it in the whole "FPS" genre for the sake of the pool)
By the time of DX's release, I'd say 4.

K^2
25th Apr 2009, 09:16
My original background was probably closer to 8, by today's standard of 7. But now I selected 5, not so much because of liking a lot of FPS/RPG crossovers, but because I tend to play both genres.

SageSavage
25th Apr 2009, 10:17
I voted "4". I do like good games and they can be found in almost every genre (just like it is with other media). I was tempted to vote "3" but then I realized that this is only because there were far too many FPSs and far too few RPGs in recent history so I grew a bit tired from FPSs while I still long for good new RPGs.

Spyhopping
25th Apr 2009, 10:44
I haven't sampled enough of the RPG genre to be entirely sure about it, but primarily I'm a FPS kind of girl. I like to test my reactions and ability to solve problems quickly in that setting.

But I also want to feel attached to the story and characters. Ideally I want a deep story driven FPS with choice and consequence... so err... basically only DX has properly fit that mould for me so far. I picked 5

Edit: Oh, and we have GOT to use that 3-way scale. It's great!

Ashpolt
25th Apr 2009, 15:23
I went for 3, because I don't play a lot of RPGs these days, do play a lot of FPSs, but prefer those to have some RPG elements.

If the question were instead "Where on this scale would you like Deus Ex 3 to be?" I'd vote around a 5. The FPS elements should be solid, but the RPG elements should be pretty heavy, to the point where if I'm a stealth character with all my points into sneaking and light weapons, I should stand no chance going face to face against a mech, armed with a rocket launcher - and vice versa, if I'm a heavy character, I should make as much noise as a ten ton truck when I move, and I should do more damage throwing my pistol at enemies than shooting it at them. Too many games nowadays make your "build" almost irrelevant so as to make sure people don't get stuck.

3nails4you
25th Apr 2009, 16:13
I should do more damage throwing my pistol at enemies than shooting it at them.

That sounds like the most fun game of all time. And you can sharpen your pistol, too, right? :D

LatwPIAT
25th Apr 2009, 16:36
Hard to say really... I enjoy RPGs, but all of the RPGs I enjoy are all made by Interplay/BioWare/Black Isle, so maybe I'm just in love with Tim Cain and Chris Avellone. Except Deus Ex, but Deus Ex is an FPSRPG and therefore a weird hybrid anyways.

I'm not that into FPSes either. Sure, I enjoy a few, but I also like a number of RTSes and TBSes, as well as RTTs, so maybe I just like computer games?

Besides, since the two are not mutually exclusive types of games, with Deus Ex, Fallout 3, System Shock 2, STALKER and the comming Alpha Protocal have/will prove(n) does preference for one exclude me from liking the other? What if I really love RPGs, hate "All you have is a hammer" approach in FPSes, but really love the the perspective given in a FPSRPG? Am I then a 4 or a 7?

Actually, I think I just like First Person Perspective (FPP) games. I've enjoyed FPPRPGs (Deus Ex) FPPPuzzle (Myst, Riven) and FPPPlatformers (Portal, Mirror's Edge*) and I think the idea of seeing the world in the perspective of the PC is an excellent idea, althought not necessary, as Planescape: Torment did excellently without, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and most RTS and TBSes would be painful to play if they were FPPRTSes or FPPTBSes.

Necros
25th Apr 2009, 17:07
and the comming Alpha Protocal
Alpha Protocol is using third person view. ;)

Ninjerk
25th Apr 2009, 22:41
4, mostly because it seems like neither genre consistently turns out excellent games so I tend to stick to critically acclaimed games in either category and/or word-of-mouth if the referrer is eloquent enough about it. I would play more open-mindedly, but I'm trying to make forward progress in the game of life, and I really don't have time to waste on mediocre gameplay, story, and whathaveyou.

I was never a great RTS player so I've generally stuck with the games my friends or family are playing (the Warcraft games, a little bit of that WW2 one, a little bit of DoW).

IOOI
26th Apr 2009, 00:07
I forgot to add Sacrifice (RTS/RPG). That was a sweeeeet game.

GmanPro
26th Apr 2009, 01:34
Chaos Gate was also good. A Warhammer 40k, TBS/RPG

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Apr 2009, 21:09
I voted for no 3 which is moreorless half/half, but leaning more to RPG. :)

Mr. Perfect
26th Apr 2009, 23:02
Four. I used to think that I leaned towards FPSs, until realizing that the FPSs I like are actually kind of RPGish(Deus Ex, Desert Combat, Fallout 3). :gamer: So right in the middle...

Romeo
27th Apr 2009, 07:33
Look at that beautiful little curve we've created. I guess it only makes sense that the balanced ones (3,4,5) are the most popular, seeing as how this is a forums dedicated towards a game that clearly falls into that catagory, but I can't say I'm not surprised, thought there'd be less support for the FPS half.

Jerion
27th Apr 2009, 07:48
Hehe...It is a nice curve. I voted #5 because while I do like RPGs well enough, and play them somewhat often, I've simply played FPS games more and have found some really fun shooters. The FPTS games, like Battlefield 2/2142 are particularly fun since they add in a real tactical element. You have tactics and strategy, and have to apply it to a large-scale shooter, something that is very, very fun. So while I think I could manage a #4, my love of tactical FPS games (aka FPTS) tips me over to the FPS side. :)

3nails4you
27th Apr 2009, 16:25
Still waiting on that prize...
:whistle:

Jerion
27th Apr 2009, 16:27
Prize? Sorry, my mind is blinded by hunger right now. Refresh my mind. :scratch:

3nails4you
27th Apr 2009, 16:28
Prize? Sorry, my mind is blinded by hunger right now. Refresh my mind. :scratch:

3-option poll!

GmanPro
27th Apr 2009, 16:32
Here ya go ;)
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/DXeXodus/CrateOcookies.jpg?t=1237413206

Jerion
27th Apr 2009, 16:46
Here ya go ;)
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/DXeXodus/CrateOcookies.jpg?t=1237413206

You know, during my visit there was some talk of hiding that as an easter egg in the game...;)

GmanPro
27th Apr 2009, 16:54
Awesome :D That's the highlight of my day right there

Romeo
27th Apr 2009, 18:33
Awesome :D That's the highlight of my day right there
Slow news day? LOL!

Yeah, it's true that there are some fun FPS out there (I do play Hardcore Mode in Call of Duty now and again) I simply find I get more hours out of RPGs (I STILL play Morrowind), and no one plays a game for eight years if they hate it. lol

Blade_hunter
27th Apr 2009, 18:43
I want my Eid'OS cereals !!

Jerion
27th Apr 2009, 18:48
Dunno if there's a connection, but here's something to chew on:

People who are more on the FPS side tend to have more combat/violence-related avatar names.

Ninjerk
27th Apr 2009, 19:34

People who are more on the FPS side tend to have more combat/violence-related avatar names.

We're all planning murder-suicides, too.:rolleyes:

Jerion
27th Apr 2009, 19:40
Oh, naturally. And while we're at it, let's go burn down some public bathrooms full of zombies. :)

JCD
27th Apr 2009, 19:58

People who are more on the FPS side tend to have more combat/violence-related avatar names.Ha! I changed mine. Where does it belong? It's neither combat, nor violence related. It's...evil related? :lol:

GmanPro
27th Apr 2009, 20:01
Ha! I changed mine. Where does it belong? It's neither combat, nor violence related. It's...evil related? :lol:

^^ It goes into the awesome department for awesome characters :cool: :D

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/1998/19981209h.jpg

SageSavage
27th Apr 2009, 20:24
It's a New Testament-related name.

FrankCSIS
27th Apr 2009, 21:30
I suppose it makes sense that a guy leaning towards RPG uses his actual name. Whatever behavioral connection one might make though, I always found it simply more practical :p

3nails4you
27th Apr 2009, 22:12

So is mine, and I'm a big-time FPS-er.

Romeo
27th Apr 2009, 23:40
Mine's a Montague-related name. :hmm:

FrankCSIS
27th Apr 2009, 23:44
Which reminds me, the Capulet put a contract on your head. Thought you'd want to know.

GmanPro
27th Apr 2009, 23:44
A curse upon both your houses!!!!!1!!1 :lol:

Necros
28th Apr 2009, 02:57
I suppose it makes sense that a guy leaning towards RPG uses his actual name. Whatever behavioral connection one might make though, I always found it simply more practical :p
My avatar name (meaning: death) has been the same for years, I'm not gonna change it and I use it most of the times in RPGs too. Though if I start a female character I usually name her Kira Nerys (from DS9). :)

TrickyVein
28th Apr 2009, 03:16
"Zenith_Command" is one of my favorites.

That, or maybe "Brobostigon." "Blind_Edge-turner" is also good.

GmanPro
28th Apr 2009, 03:17
Temeritous, Casiel, Amendel are all cool names I always thought. They fit well in almost all RPG settings anyway

TrickyVein
28th Apr 2009, 03:31
and for fps'?

FlankButtsteak - SmokeMcManmuscle - Dirk_HardPeck - the many names of David Ryder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

Necros
28th Apr 2009, 03:41
Once I tried using names from HP Lovecraft's stories in a Call of Duty MP match. You know, like Cthulhu or Yog-Sothoth for example. Nobody knew what was going on or who was that. :D

GmanPro
28th Apr 2009, 04:23
The only time I ever pick a name in a straight up FPS is in LAN/Online games. So I usually just use GmanPro.

3nails4you
28th Apr 2009, 07:09
<<< This name is the one I use in my CSS, TF2, etc. clan. For RPG's I like using Zaphenath Paneah or some variation of that (it's a long story).

DXeXodus
28th Apr 2009, 11:14
Chose number 4 because, as many others here do, I enjoy both RPG and FPS genres equally. I suppose that if I was forced to choose a favourite I would say RPG, but there are a lot of great pure FPS's out there, especially the classics.

Mine's, well, old testament :D

Otto
29th Apr 2009, 07:13

Don't worry, I remade the three point poll picture for you. :p

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x35/Otto_Grainer/three_point_poll.jpg

Surprising how many interesting designs came out of it but of course I'm only trying to show some numbers
so I won't go crazy. I wouldn't have thought of that myself, great work. I voted [5].

K^2
29th Apr 2009, 08:06
Look at that. It's starting to look like a normal distribution. Who would have guessed? (Other than anyone familiar with principle of least information, or at least, have taken a basic statistics class.)

3nails4you
29th Apr 2009, 12:22
Don't worry, I remade the three point poll picture for you. :p

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x35/Otto_Grainer/three_point_poll.jpg

Surprising how many interesting designs came out of it but of course I'm only trying to show some numbers
so I won't go crazy. I wouldn't have thought of that myself, great work. I voted [5].

SWEET! It's amazing what my mind is able to produce when completely exhausted to the point of implosion...you can have half of my crate o' cookies.

Romeo
3rd May 2009, 06:11
Which reminds me, the Capulet put a contract on your head. Thought you'd want to know.
Romeo must die? Saaaad faaaace...

A curse upon both your houses!!!!!1!!1 :lol:
No, motanguu r teh roxxorz. we = viktorry.

Otto
6th May 2009, 07:57
SWEET! It's amazing what my mind is able to produce when completely exhausted to the point of implosion...you can have half of my crate o' cookies.
Yay, I love cookies.

Look at that. It's starting to look like a normal distribution. Who would have guessed? (Other than anyone familiar with principle of least information, or at least, have taken a basic statistics class.)
Heh, I never said he was the only one who ever thought of it. :p