PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Strategy - Julius

Automaton
9th Aug 2012, 14:06
Hiding under spoiler tags in case you want to find out how to win on your own!
Where to Find
After beating the game for the first time, Julius makes his home in Traverse Town - Fountain Plaza and attacks whenever you enter the area. To make it easier to access, enter Traverse Town from the World Map at the Post Office (Sora) or the Back Streets (Riku) instead of Fourth District.
Once Julius has been defeated once by a character, he can refight the boss by entering the Fountain Plaza normally and investigating the large grate.

Setup
Keep in mind that you're not going to have Spirirts directly involved in the fight against Julius, but your equipped party will still give you any Status abilities they have unlocked on their Command Boards. Maximizing HP Boosts (for the 400HP limit) and Reload Boost is a must at the bare minimum, but you can also look to Attack Boosts and Defense Boosts to try and cut down battle time and increase your survivability. Also, you absolutely need to have Second Chance and Once More learned.
As for Deck commands, you'll want to have a lot of healing mixed in with fast yet powerful attacks. In terms of passive commands, Superglide (Sora, from Ryu Dragon) and Dark Roll (Riku, drop bonus/medal prize) will give you great evasion when you need to avoid attacks to heal or wait out difficult periods of the battle.

Battle
Julius has a grand total of 12 full bars of HP that you need to cut through, and despite his size, he is an extremely fast attacker that utulizes strong jabs, punch combos and rushes. His strength is such that he'll break the poles you can use for Free Flow attacks if he hits them with his combos.

<ul>
He'll knock his hands together and start a long combo of punches and a spiralling attack.
He can also do single punches.
Sometimes he'll attempt to grab you and breathe status breath on you, initially inflicting any of poison, confuse, or darkness and then another of those statuses when the first one runs out.
He'll run about and skid to a stop, and you'll take damage if you're in his way.
He'll jump at you and perform a body slam.
At about 50% HP remaining, he'll begin to intermittently electrify himself to increase his power. Dodge the initial lightning strikes when he does this.
<ul>
While electrified, he'll sometimes jump onto the building and perform a body slam attack at your position. It is imperative that you find a way to dodge this, because if it connects your currently selected command will temporarily break.
[/list]
[/list]

Although you do spend a lot of time dodging his various attacks, you can sometimes punish his misses (such as dodging the normal body slam) with attacks like Ars Arcanum (Sora) or Meteor Crash (Riku).

Rewards
Defeating Julius for the first time awards you with the Ultima Weapon keychain, which is a good, balanced weapon. You have to do this sepearately for Sora and Riku.

EDIT: Information update!

DerekMaverick
9th Aug 2012, 15:08
Just curious if there are chest in this area because I have all of Riku's except for one and thought it could be a chest in there.

Automaton
9th Aug 2012, 19:02
Just curious if there are chest in this area because I have all of Riku's except for one and thought it could be a chest in there.

There're three treasure chests in the area for Riku: a Blizzard Edge command on top of the fountain, an Ice Dream Cone on one of the ledges in the lower area near the building, and a Vibrant Fantasy hidden by boxes in the walkup from the Back Streets area (to get at that, you need to Sling Shot a barrel at the boxes to destroy them).

In Sora's case, an Intrepid Figment is hidden in the same way when you're in the area outside the post office (in case you're missing that one).

DerekMaverick
9th Aug 2012, 20:42
Haven't gone through sora's yet but dang I'm mad that I didn't get that chest because I don't want to fight Julius just yet. Thanks Orichalcum+!

Automaton
10th Aug 2012, 10:43
Do want to mention that Riku was the character I managed to beat him with first, at approx. Lv68. Sora... hasn't yet, and he's almost at the same level.

iambasho777
10th Aug 2012, 11:58
Well, Sora only get superglide to Riku's Dark Roll and Dark Barrier (EDIT: Dark Barrier can be gotten from the Flick Rush Medal Shop or Majik Lapin, you didn't mention it but it's wonderful to use during the punching combo and then follow up with a balloonga/meteor crash), and only has balloonga where Riku can use Meteor Crash (which takes off a bar and a quarter of Julius' health at level 45, I need to get more of these things ^^. Also, I would kinda advise against using Sora's Ars Arcanum. While it may do more damage than balloonga, Once More does not apply during it and if you don't stunlock Julius then you're screwed big time. Something I haven't tried yet, though, would be to use a balloonga and follow up with Ars Arcanum IF the balloonga stuns him. This is the strategy I used to kill Xemnas at level 36, and he fell in less than five minutes since that combo took off more than two bars each time I did it.

iambasho777
11th Aug 2012, 23:04
Alright, I just killed Julius on proud with both Sora and Riku. Here are my decks and strategies.

Recommended (red) abilities: Second Chance, Once More, Leaf Bracer, Scan

Spirit Party for both:
Frootz Cat (all 10 hastes, Reload Boost)
R&R Seal (5 HP boosts, poison, bind, slow, and confusion blocks)
Any 3rd defensive spirit, I went with my Kab Kannon to finish out the AR trio

Sora (lvl 56):
-Blue Deck:
--Curaga (shortcut)
--Curaga
--Balloonga
--Balloonga
--Ars Arcanum
--Balloonga
--Curaga
-Red Deck
--High Jump (unused)
--Slide Roll (needed)
--Glide (unused, but Superglide would have been highly useful)
--Air Slide (needed to escape the repeated uppercut single punch if you get caught in it)
--Block (doesn't matter which one, but I would advise against Sliding Block since it doesn't last as long as the others)
---Counter Rush
--Payback Raid

Sora is definitely at a disadvantage here compared to Riku, and I was really hurting from the lack of Superglide but I made it work.

General strategy: Spam Balloonga when you can without getting hit, cure when under half health, use Ars Arcanum ONLY right after his lunge where he lands face-down. Try to avoid him and play defensively in his lightning mode.

Move-by-move strategy:
-Punching combo - You have two options here, a safe one and a riskier one. The safe option is to spam your dodge roll to either left or right and slightly back to stay away from him, then use a balloonga as soon as he's done. The riskier option is to wait until he has punched TWICE then block, followed up with a Counter Rush. If he flinches during the counter rush, follow it up with a balloonga then roll away, if he doesn't get outta there fast.
-Punching combo (lightning mode) - I never personally attempted to block during this, and thus don't know if his lightning punch combo is still blockable or not. I would advice you to keep your distance throughout the entire lightning phase just to be safe.
-Single punches - I would advise to roll away during these, because it is sometimes difficult to differentiate between the single punches and the grab. If you're certain it's a single punch, then blocking and using counter rush followed with a balloonga if he flinches or running away if he doesn't.
-Single punches (lightning mode) - Slide Roll directly to the left or right during this, the punches are no longer blockable here and send out a shockwave that can put you in a bad position if you get hit. Sometimes there is an opening for a balloonga afterwards, but I would advise against it due to how much more aggresive he is in lightning mode.
-Grab - With R&R Seal on your team most of the nasty side-effects of the grab are guarded against, but blind can be a bit of a problem. If you see this move coming (it looks like a double-swipe, one with each hand) rolling directly away from him is the best way to deal with it since it is not blockable. If you accidentally activate flowmotion, pray that the brief invincibility the wall jump (Y) is good enough to carry you away from the move.
-Running/skidding - This move provides easy damage and a nice break to heal during. If he starts to run at you, cast balloonga and roll sideways, or if you're low on health roll sideways first then heal.
-Running/skidding (lightning mode) - I would not recommend trying to get a balloonga in during this, since stray lightning bolts sometimes stun you and get you caught up in a combo. I would advise you to stick with rolling to the side and healing if necessary.
-Jump/bodyslam - This can be a bit tricky to dodge if you don't see it coming, and it is unblockable. Try rolling to the side, then following it up with a balloonga or Ars Arcanum. While you will probably take damage if you try the arcanum, usually you can deal 3/4 of a bar of damage before that making it worthwhile.
-Jump/bodyslam (lightning mode) - This move gets a deadly upgrade in lightning mode, he now sends out a large dome-like shockwave that stuns you if you get hit by it. His reaction time is lessened here as well, making it inadvisable to try anything other than rolling to the side.
-Upgrade to lightning mode - As Sora, this move is pretty hard to avoid. Since the bolts come from straight above you blocking is useless, so rolling repeatedly is your only option. Healing with Leaf Bracer can help avoid a bolt or two with proper timing.
-Wall jump off of the building/bouncing body slam - This move doesn't prove to be that much of a threat outside of his lightning mode. Roll like crazy OR Superglide around and if you're lucky you won't get hit. If you do get hit by it and aren't reduced to 1 HP just roll away before healing, if you are then heal first and hope to get away before he catches you again.
-Wall jump off of the building/bouncing body slam (lightning mode) - This is easily his most threatening attack. It is nearly impossible to avoid by rolling, making Superglide the only viable way to escape it. If you get hit by it he will inflict a rare type of status effect called "Command Break" that disables whatever command you have selected for approximately 10 times its reload time. If you see this attack coming, I would recommend trying to get your deck on Ars Arcanum, since that is the least vital command in the deck listed above. Try to avoid getting any Curagas broken at all costs, especially earlier in the fight.

Riku (lvl 62):
-Blue Deck:
--Curaga (shortcut)
--Curaga
--Balloonga
--Meteor Crash
--Dark Firaga
--Balloonga
--Curaga
-Red Deck
--High Jump (unused)
--Dark Roll (highly needed)
--Doubleflight (unused, but might help avoid the bodyslams)
--Air Slide (needed to escape the repeated uppercut single punch if you get caught in it)
--Dark Barrier (highly needed)
---Counter Aura
--Payback Blast

General strategy: Spam Balloonga and Dark Firaga (dark firaga does slightly less damage when all hits connect of each, but it is much more likely to have all of its hits connect than balloonga) when you can without getting hit, cure when under half health, use Meteor Crash whenever balloonga/counter aura/dark firaga stun him for massive damage, usually over a full bar. Try to avoid him and play defensively in his lightning mode.

Move-by-move strategy:
-Punching combo - You have two options here, a safe one and a riskier one. The safe option is to spam your dark roll to either left or right and slightly back to stay away from him, then use balloonga/dark firaga as soon as he's done. The riskier option is to block with dark barrier, followed up with a counter aura after the combo is about halfway done. If he flinches from the counter aura follow it up with a balloonga/dark firaga then roll away, if he doesn't get outta there fast.
-Punching combo (lightning mode) - I never personally attempted to block during this, and thus don't know if his lightning punch combo is still blockable or not. I would advice you to keep your distance throughout the entire lightning phase just to be safe.
-Single punches - I would advise to roll away during these, because it is sometimes difficult to differentiate between the single punches and the grab. If you're certain it's a single punch, then you can try blocking and using counter aura followed with a balloonga if he flinches or running away if he doesn't.
-Single punches (lightning mode) - Dark Roll directly to the left or right during this, the punches are no longer blockable here and send out a shockwave that can put you in a bad position if you get hit. Sometimes there is an opening for a balloonga/dark firaga afterwards, but I would advise against it due to how much more aggresive he is in lightning mode.
-Grab - With R&R Seal on your team most of the nasty side-effects of the grab are guarded against, but blind can be a bit of a problem. If you see this move coming (it looks like a double-swipe, one with each hand) rolling directly away from him is the best way to deal with it since it is not blockable. If you accidentally activate flowmotion, pray that the brief invincibility the wall jump (Y) is good enough to carry you away from the move.
-Running/skidding - This move provides easy damage and a nice break to heal during. If he starts to run at you, cast balloonga/dark firaga and roll sideways, or if you're low on health roll sideways first then heal. Sometimes if you're lucky you can even pull off a Meteor Crash during the skidding.
-Running/skidding (lightning mode) - I would not recommend trying to get an attack in during this since the stray lightning bolts sometimes stun you and get you caught up in a combo. I would advise you to stick with rolling to the side and healing if necessary.
-Jump/bodyslam - This can be a bit tricky to dodge if you don't see it coming, and it is unblockable. Try rolling to the side, then following it up with a balloonga/dark firaga or preferably Meteor Crash.
-Jump/bodyslam (lightning mode) - This move gets a deadly upgrade in lightning mode, he now sends out a large dome-like shockwave that stuns you if you get hit by it. His reaction time is lessened here as well, making it inadvisable to try anything other than rolling to the side.
-Upgrade to lightning mode - As Riku this attack is almost completely harmless. Just spam Dark Barrier and you shouldn't take a hit.
-Wall jump off of the building/bouncing body slam - This move doesn't prove to be that much of a threat outside of his lightning mode. Roll like crazy and if you're lucky you won't get hit. If you do get hit by it and aren't reduced to 1 HP just roll away before healing, if you are then heal first and hope to get away before he catches you again.
-Wall jump off of the building/bouncing body slam (lightning mode) - This is easily his most threatening attack. It is highly difficult to avoid even with dark roll. If you get hit by it he will inflict a rare type of status effect called "Command Break" that disables whatever command you have selected for approximately 10 times its reload time. If you see this attack coming, I would recommend trying to get your deck on dark firaga, since that is the least vital command in the deck listed above. Try to avoid getting any Curagas broken at all costs, especially earlier in the fight.

I'll take any suggestions to these strategies but they worked on proud at fairly low levels so I believe they're pretty solid.

Automaton
16th Aug 2012, 15:38
Finally managed to beat him with Sora, though it was still a little difficult. I used Salvation as my two slot then alternated Curaga with Icebreaker, Shadowbreaker and... something else. I find Balloonga a little too unwieldy for my liking, so that was left out.

I think I finished that fight with most of my deck broken. >.>

member_10590028
16th Aug 2012, 22:59
I beat him with Riku yesterday and planned on taking him out with Sora today but I guess that'll have to wait until tomorrow. Riku's run was a lot easier than Sora's because his dodging leaves him impervious to Julius' attacks. I was close with Sora tonight but failed in every attempt. I managed to defeat him with a Lv. 46 Riku and I'm aiming for a Lv. 44 defeat with Sora. Gonna be really tough.

DerekMaverick
17th Aug 2012, 21:12
Hmmmm.... I'm around the same level as you Mystogan. What difficulty where you on by chance?

member_10590028
18th Aug 2012, 22:54
I am playing on Proud Mode. I always play on that mode first. It's hard, but Critical Mode will be the challenge to take and defeat.

DerekMaverick
19th Aug 2012, 13:49
@Mystogan_T

All right thanks. :)