PDA

View Full Version : Batarang

Silent Crisis
21st Apr 2009, 19:53
the batarang will be plastic and it will come in 2 pieces, the stand and the batarang. just thought i would update you guys =]

The Comedian
21st Apr 2009, 19:55
Can I see a reliable source?

Silent Crisis
21st Apr 2009, 20:00
is a gamestop employee not a reliable source? or do you want me to just be able to say "i told you so" when the game actually comes out?

arOnex20
21st Apr 2009, 20:02
in all honesty, gamestop employees suck; they're lazy as hell and they don't know ***** about *****..so i'm afraid we need more proof bro :hmm:

The Comedian
21st Apr 2009, 20:02
is a gamestop employee not a reliable source? or do you want me to just be able to say "i told you so" when the game actually comes out?

Actually, they're not that reliable. So I would rather hear an "I told you so". Still waiting for a reliable source.

:gamer:

stoobytoons
21st Apr 2009, 20:34
Actually, guys, common sense would suggest that the likelihood of Eidos shipping a metal weapon to anyone without question of age is probably pretty slim. This is especially true considering the recent brass knuckle fiasco that happened with the Godfather 2 release.

Would I love an actual metal batarang? Of course! But you have to ask yourself what the chances are of a major game company shipping sharp metal weapons to kids and young adults along with a violent action game. I dunno, sounds like bad press to me.

Consider the price tag and what you are getting. $60 game, manual, a leather-bound book, dvd, and Batarang. The cost of manufacturing an actual metal batarang PLUS its stand would probably cost Eidos more than they are charging and would cause them to go into the red on the title. So, on the business end of things, it probably doesn't make much fiscal sense.

Then again, I haven't priced the cost of a custom metal batarang, so I could be wrong.

Anyone else agree or disagree with these thoughts?

BatNipples
21st Apr 2009, 20:42
in the gta 4 Collectors edition they gave out grenades. However there was alot of P ' d off people who were afraid of "Health and Safety Issues" so in the end they only shipped handuns with 2 live magazines

The Bat
21st Apr 2009, 20:43
I agree one hundred percent! Could not have said it better myself!

Silent Crisis
21st Apr 2009, 20:47
Actually, guys, common sense would suggest that the likelihood of Eidos shipping a metal weapon to anyone without question of age is probably pretty slim. This is especially true considering the recent brass knuckle fiasco that happened with the Godfather 2 release.

Would I love an actual metal batarang? Of course! But you have to ask yourself what the chances are of a major game company shipping sharp metal weapons to kids and young adults along with a violent action game. I dunno, sounds like bad press to me.

Consider the price tag and what you are getting. $60 game, manual, a leather-bound book, dvd, and Batarang. The cost of manufacturing an actual metal batarang PLUS its stand would probably cost Eidos more than they are charging and would cause them to go into the red on the title. So, on the business end of things, it probably doesn't make much fiscal sense.

Then again, I haven't priced the cost of a custom metal batarang, so I could be wrong.

i agree man, thats why i believe the employee

The Comedian
21st Apr 2009, 20:59

That's an excellent point. Yet when people post something I just would like to see a credible source than "hear say".

Arkham Bat
21st Apr 2009, 21:05
Have you picture of Batrang ?

Silent Crisis
21st Apr 2009, 21:07
his point still isn't a credible source, but it is a point, meaning that gamestop employee's aren't retards, they can think and work just like we do and they work with video games all the time and all the employee's at my gamestop don't only work with the video games but they love to play them! so before you say you need a credible source why don't you do some reasoning in your mind? and think, does Rocksteady want to send a sharp metal weapon to gamers? especially a teen audience. Say some smart ass teen decides to go to school the next day and show all his friends, but one of his friends decides to take it and throw it at someone or something but accidentally or purposely hits someone? that's a lawsuit against the kid who through and possibly Rocksteady and i don't think they want that, do you?

DarthHobbs
21st Apr 2009, 21:26
Hi Guys

I have to agree with Stoobytoons after the brass knuckles incident I think it’s highly unlikely they’ll give us a metal Batarang (It would be awesome…..) and the sad fact is we do live in a World that if a child did buy the Collector’s Edition they could use it and hurt someone and they get sued and not just the family of the person responsible but also Rocksteady even though they didn’t throw it which is sad but this is the World in which we live.:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

And to be honest I don’t mind I just hope it’s not plastic I got the Halo 3 Collector’s Edition and it’s a Plastic helmet and stand but it’s a good piece of work. I think the Batarang will be made of hard resin that’s what most things are in most of these Collectibles now and I think that’s a good thing and it’ll be tough.

But that’s my guess……..:) :) :) :)

statesman1114
21st Apr 2009, 21:28
Thats why they have to i.d. u. CONFIRMED as metal.

Silent Crisis
21st Apr 2009, 21:29
thank you for agreeing with me :)

Silent Crisis
21st Apr 2009, 21:31
Thats why they have to i.d. u. CONFIRMED as metal.

no, dumba$$. they cannot i.d. you for a game that's teen if you are obviously a teenager. That's what the laws for ESRB are. Even if you are under the age of teen then nobody really says anything about the rating if its teen, its only becomes a big deal when it comes to M games. Even so, if your parents let you get it then once you have it you can do whatever you want with it behind their back for all they know and then they are totally responsible for it but Rocksteady gets effected in the end.

arOnex20
21st Apr 2009, 21:32
i mean even if it is plastic, it could still hurt somebody.

Silent Crisis
21st Apr 2009, 21:34
i mean even if it is plastic, it could still hurt somebody.

ok? kids toys are plastics, swallow able also, but they aren't metal sharp weapons that could be lethal

The Comedian
21st Apr 2009, 21:39
ok? kids toys are plastics, swallow able also, but they aren't metal sharp weapons that could be lethal

If its plastic it's plastic, if metal then it will be metal....chill out. It's not like we're criticizing you for making the batarang.

:gamer:

PS3/PSPGamer7
21st Apr 2009, 22:29
Ok solution, don't make it really sharp. If they made it plastic I think they are just complete idiots and would be highly criticized. Whats some one going to do? Even an idiot couldn't hurt anyone unless they hit them in the head o course. I can just see the frontline news "Teens holds 5 hostages, 1 dead" then it would say he killed someone with a batarang(sarcasm) Its sad sometimes how you people think it would be plastic. Oh and I just looked at the picture again, now you go look at it, does it really look plastic?

stoobytoons
21st Apr 2009, 22:36

So, by that school of thought, they should probably just include hand guns with every school lunch, but charge extra for the ammunition, right? Hahaha:lol:

Silent Crisis
21st Apr 2009, 23:31
stoobytoons that doesn't even make sense, oh and btw, to make a model of a boomerang its going to have to have very tight turns on the edges, because its a novelty item that they want to look exactly like a batarang. so yeah, think again

the scarecrow
22nd Apr 2009, 00:32
Ok solution, don't make it really sharp. If they made it plastic I think they are just complete idiots and would be highly criticized. Whats some one going to do? Even an idiot couldn't hurt anyone unless they hit them in the head o course. I can just see the frontline news "Teens holds 5 hostages, 1 dead" then it would say he killed someone with a batarang(sarcasm) Its sad sometimes how you people think it would be plastic. Oh and I just looked at the picture again, now you go look at it, does it really look plastic?
agreed it has to be metal look at the pic you are so right

Silent Crisis
22nd Apr 2009, 00:59
if its metal ill give you $50

stoobytoons
22nd Apr 2009, 01:27
stoobytoons that doesn't even make sense, oh and btw, to make a model of a boomerang its going to have to have very tight turns on the edges, because its a novelty item that they want to look exactly like a batarang. so yeah, think again

It makes sense if you speak the enchanted language of sarcasm.
Sort of a "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" relationship there.

As far as boomerangs go, if you are talking about a returning boomerang, yeah! It's going to have to be aerodynamic, not to mention wind conditions would have to be just right. Throwing at, I believe a 45 degree angle into the wind? But batarangs, like the one here, are based off of the hunting model of boomerangs that weren't intended as a returning device of recreation or sport. They are essentially curved throwing sticks, or in this case, throwing blades.

Chris Nolan understood this which is probably why they stuck with the throwing star style of batarang that was never meant to return.

Oh, and Silent Crisis, you would need a MUCH larger wing span, and a light metal like aluminum or titanium (or an humungous throwers arm) along with those "tight turns" to make the returning batarang actually happen.

Silent Crisis
22nd Apr 2009, 01:29
It makes sense if you speak the enchanted language of sarcasm.
Sort of a "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" relationship there.

As far as boomerangs go, if you are talking about a returning boomerang, yeah! It's going to have to be aerodynamic, not to mention wind conditions would have to be just right. Throwing at, I believe a 45 degree angle into the wind? But batarangs, like the one here, are based off of the hunting model of boomerangs that weren't intended as a returning device of recreation or sport. They are essentially curved throwing sticks, or in this case, throwing blades.

Chris Nolan understood this which is probably why they stuck with the throwing star style of batarang that was never meant to return.

Oh, and Silent Crisis, you would need a MUCH larger wing span, and a light metal like aluminum or titanium (or an humungous throwers arm) along with those "tight turns" to make the returning batarang actually happen.

i meant batarang dumb @$$

stoobytoons
22nd Apr 2009, 02:07
i meant batarang dumb @$$

I realize what you meant, dude. Which is why I was talking about it. Did you not catch that? Too many lines of text? Sorry, I'll think about cutting it back for the slow ones next time. Just remember to sound it out. :lol:

Silent Crisis
22nd Apr 2009, 02:45
I realize what you meant, dude. Which is why I was talking about it. Did you not catch that? Too many lines of text? Sorry, I'll think about cutting it back for the slow ones next time. Just remember to sound it out. :lol:

if you realized what i mean you wouldnt be dumb @$$ and keep complaining about it like it means something, cause it doesnt, so get a life man

stoobytoons
22nd Apr 2009, 03:41
if you realized what i mean you wouldnt be dumb @$$ and keep complaining about it like it means something, cause it doesnt, so get a life man

Yikes! Do I detect a thin layer of testosterone in your defensive demeanor?
Or do you just love communicating in vague generalities and empty, repetitive insults? Can you explain to the dumb @$$ what it is that he was "complaining" about? I took the liberty of reviewing my previous posts and it appears to be a pretty solid discussion. Perhaps civilized banter isn't your cup of tea. In such case, you can take a breath and find something a bit more your level.

In the meantime, for anyone else interested in the original topic, I'm more than willing to continue in a favorable direction rather than wasting my time on self-conscious basement dwellers who would rather spend a greater amount of time blasting complete strangers with broken English and inconclusive thoughts over mild misunderstandings and scraping the cream filling from the middle of Oreo cookies on their free weekends or while teacher isn't looking in computer class.

Soooooooooooo... back to batarangs, guys?

Mertz523
22nd Apr 2009, 06:01
The thing looks dang cool. Where I agree that a metal gift such as this would be hazardous to some people's safety, a plastic one would be equally threatening...just not as heavy.

When you look at the picture, it does look metallic. But do keep in mind that pictures are deceiving and the actual product may differ from promotional images. Heck, even toy companies and other products put disclaimers on their packaging hinting at the fact that the actual product contained within may differ than it appears... :hmm:

I'm going to pre-order this set tomorrow (begrudgingly) from GameStop with the incentive that I can coax at least half the price of the set out of my parents as a birthday gift. I really don't feel like dropping $100 on a single video game. My funds are tight as it is. But this looks too cool to pass up. I hope my GameStop has the demo...:nut:

DarthHobbs
22nd Apr 2009, 07:14
Hi Guys & Gals

Come on guys we’re all fans here no fights having a good discussion is better than a barroom brawl and in the World we live in today remember (LTS= life’s to short) so be happy.:) :) :) :)

And after that little health advisory let’s carry on with the friendly discussion as I said in my last post on this thread I still doubt its metal and given the right tools things can look real or metallic i.e. in Superman Returns the Gertrude’s stair banister may of looked wooden but the way they painted it and set it up it was actually a metal banister (yes I know this cause I’m a Superman fan so please don’t flame me…….)

And lets be honest any thing in the house and outside can be weapon so a Batarang isn’t that much of an issue in that regard so I still think it’ll be a hard resin Batarang and they can make things look metal or stone if given enough love and attention but that’s my opinion.

xStarbuckx
22nd Apr 2009, 07:47
It really doesn't make sense from a business point of view to make a metal one. From my own modeling experience if this was metal it would be diecast and painted black. Diecast can be very brittle not to mention scratch, as well as cost more to produce.
Im praying its solid resin more than anything else but aslong as its not 2 halves of brittle hard plastic stuck together I'll be happy.

Joker's Laughing Place
22nd Apr 2009, 09:03
Hi Guys & Gals

Come on guys we’re all fans here no fights having a good discussion is better than a barroom brawl and in the World we live in today remember (LTS= life’s to short) so be happy.:) :) :) :)

And after that little health advisory let’s carry on with the friendly discussion as I said in my last post on this thread I still doubt its metal and given the right tools things can look real or metallic i.e. in Superman Returns the Gertrude’s stair banister may of looked wooden but the way they painted it and set it up it was actually a metal banister (yes I know this cause I’m a Superman fan so please don’t flame me…….)

And lets be honest any thing in the house and outside can be weapon so a Batarang isn’t that much of an issue in that regard so I still think it’ll be a hard resin Batarang and they can make things look metal or stone if given enough love and attention but that’s my opinion.

You sir, rock :cool:

Batman:THE DARK KNIGHT
22nd Apr 2009, 12:13
Ok, this topic is pretty crass. I hate message boards where people start arguments over minuet things. 1st off Yes the game is T for teen, should it be metal yes, because realistically how many parents are gonna fork over $100 for there teen on 1 game. Secondly how many teens have a 100.00. I know its been a while since I was a teen but 100.00 to spend on a game? FOR a collectors edition it should be metal. Cause its for a collector not just a teen. So do I know if its metal? no. Should it be yes, otherwise its honestly not worth the price tag at all because the dlc content will be priced on the psn network or xbox live at 1.99-10.99 depending on the amount of content, so 100.00 not worth a small case book for the game and a giant plastic batarang. Maybe chip the moderator can put this question to bed or someone whom actually made the collectors edition could discuss it.

Silent Knight
22nd Apr 2009, 12:16
Also, with the whole brass knuckles argument.. There are quite a few states where brass knuckles are illegal to have. Nowhere in any law books does it say it's illegal to have a metal batarang.. So the brass knuckles argument is pretty much null and void. :D

Billyman
22nd Apr 2009, 13:25
I have some metal Batarangs so I don't care what its made of.

Velderik
22nd Apr 2009, 14:51
Never heard of the "brass knuckles incident", probably because I live in Belgium but could someone tell me what happened?

Btw I would love a metal one for the price I pay but I believe it's going to be one made from plastic.

Silent Knight
22nd Apr 2009, 14:55
Never heard of the "brass knuckles incident", probably because I live in Belgium but could someone tell me what happened?

Btw I would love a metal one for the price I pay but I believe it's going to be one made from plastic.

http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=new&nid=4849

Velderik
22nd Apr 2009, 15:00
ty Silent Knight :)

Silent Knight
22nd Apr 2009, 15:01
You're welcome.

Batman The Trailer Hunter
22nd Apr 2009, 18:09
I like how you can throw batrangs and body parts not just the head and guns

stoobytoons
22nd Apr 2009, 19:35
Ok, this topic is pretty crass. I hate message boards where people start arguments over minuet things. 1st off Yes the game is T for teen, should it be metal yes, because realistically how many parents are gonna fork over $100 for there teen on 1 game. Secondly how many teens have a 100.00. I know its been a while since I was a teen but 100.00 to spend on a game? FOR a collectors edition it should be metal. Cause its for a collector not just a teen. So do I know if its metal? no. Should it be yes, otherwise its honestly not worth the price tag at all because the dlc content will be priced on the psn network or xbox live at 1.99-10.99 depending on the amount of content, so 100.00 not worth a small case book for the game and a giant plastic batarang. Maybe chip the moderator can put this question to bed or someone whom actually made the collectors edition could discuss it.

I agree that it took a unneeded, sour turn there for a minute. I'm not sure why it went that direction, but moving on nevertheless.
Your argument seems fair. Sure, not many kids have 100 clams for video games. Sure this is a novelty item and not brass knuckles. Don't get me wrong! The idea of actually owning a kick ass batarang like this which is metal would be frickin sweet! But regardless of how smart, good people handle the item, there's the potential of a few bad eggs ruining it for us. I'm just thinking that EIDOS could view a metal throwing weapon as a potential PR hazard. I mean, let's say that this was Tomb Raider and they were going to to include a model of one of Laura Croft's guns. They could make them metal and remove any firing functions, but the potential of their customers getting into trouble (be that kids bringing it to school just to show it off) there could be a serious problem.

I know I'm not saying things you guys WANT to hear, but it's just the voice of reason that I'm listening to if, for no other reason, to keep me from getting my hopes up.

If it DOES turn out to be metal, in no way will I be disappointed. ;)

WinterSnowblind
22nd Apr 2009, 19:44
Plastic would be no where near as dangerous as metal, and if it is indeed made out of metal, you can bet the media would kick up a huge fuss if anything serious happened involving it.

However, I was fairly certain it was already confirmed to be made of diecast metal, but permenantly fixed to the stand.

If it's detachable, it will almost definitely be plastic, otherwise it would be classed as a throwing weapon, and wouldn't be given away with a game.

JediMasterJET
23rd Apr 2009, 00:00
Plastic would be no where near as dangerous as metal, and if it is indeed made out of metal, you can bet the media would kick up a huge fuss if anything serious happened involving it.

However, I was fairly certain it was already confirmed to be made of diecast metal, but permenantly fixed to the stand.

If it's detachable, it will almost definitely be plastic, otherwise it would be classed as a throwing weapon, and wouldn't be given away with a game.

i can live with that you can always snap the stand off

the scarecrow
23rd Apr 2009, 02:32
if its metal ill give you $50 ok give me $50

the scarecrow
23rd Apr 2009, 02:36
Hey, if the batarang doesn't fly well, you could always try throwing the journal, it may fly better.
yea :lol:

stoobytoons
23rd Apr 2009, 07:27
Well, I posed the question on the official Myspace page.. we'll see if they clear up the debate for us.