PDA

View Full Version : Moderate with moderation, and please get a system >_<

only one Deus ex
14th Apr 2009, 08:47
I wish you would reduce your moderation to an amount more livable. Seeing posts flung around, Threads merged and all this to make the forum more managable is sad considering the fact that you jusst keep confusing atleast me and there must be others.

Why is there none of the ordinary categories that one usually can find in forums like: Deus Ex talk, Wishes and suggestions, site feedback ( I know this one would shiver your timbers), General/random, spoilers/leaks etc.. ?

I would like to see this post untouched til it can be categorized. Moving posts around like they are now is just inefficient and confusing. (moderating categorized forums IS alot easier)

GmanPro
14th Apr 2009, 08:51
Yup. This thread will probably get moved soon ... or closed.

It's a conspiracy! :eek:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Apr 2009, 09:14
I wish you would reduce your moderation to an amount more livable. Seeing posts flung around, Threads merged and all this to make the forum more managable is sad considering the fact that you jusst keep confusing atleast me and there must be others.

Why is there none of the ordinary categories that one usually can find in forums like: Deus Ex talk, Wishes and suggestions, site feedback ( I know this one would shiver your timbers), General/random, spoilers/leaks etc.. ?

I would like to see this post untouched til it can be categorized. Moving posts around like they are now is just inefficient and confusing. (moderating categorized forums IS alot easier)

New threads are merged if the topic is the same. I don't see how that can be confusing or inefficient?

The ordinary categories you speak of can be found on the other sub-forums such as Community Chat and Eidos Classics.

only one Deus ex
14th Apr 2009, 09:19
New threads are merged if the topic is the same. I don't see how that can be confusing or inefficient?

The ordinary categories you speak of can be found on the other sub-forums such as Community Chat and Eidos Classics.

Yeah so i should blame Eidos form making their Forums a Chain of categories and not bothering to spare some URL for more tidy systems.
And looking for your thread on the front page of the forum only to find you have made post in a thread you didn't know existed is confusing.

Edit: And ofcourse you wouldn't see how that would be inefficient. Having a ten mile long thread with loads of random discussion and what not would be better than having a few more clean ones?

Make good on your theory and merge the 4 poll-threads about health generation. "oh but they are only slightly different. So it could be better to make it one bige less-confusing melting pot of a thread"

Categories.. Please!

Spyhopping
14th Apr 2009, 09:41
I think it would be great to have this forum divided up into spoiler free environments and such when DX3 is released.

I know we have a big off topic discussion board for everybody on the eidos forums, but when it gets busier here (which I'm sure it will) it would be nice to have an off topic section right here. It would probably keep this place cleaner for the mod's too, and less confusing. Plus not a massive amount of people interested in DX post over there, but off topic posts tend to get moved there.

jordan_a
14th Apr 2009, 10:44
If we didn't have the threads' list and moderators who merge similar subjects this forum would be a real mess.

About the spoilers, we can already hide texts [S], but pictures?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Apr 2009, 10:55
Edit: And ofcourse you wouldn't see how that would be inefficient. Having a ten mile long thread with loads of random discussion and what not would be better than having a few more clean ones?

Make good on your theory and merge the 4 poll-threads about health generation. "oh but they are only slightly different. So it could be better to make it one bige less-confusing melting pot of a thread"

We have a chat thread for random discussion, yes. Sometimes other threads have discussions that stray off-topic, but this is pretty normal and on the whole the discussion remains on topic with the thread title as a pointer.

There is only one current health regen poll thread though. :scratch:

If a poll thread is merged with a normal thread, the poll is lost (afaik), which is why this has not been done.

Spyhopping
14th Apr 2009, 11:06
For images, I guess people could just post the links to them along with little spoiler warnings. Y'know, without actually displaying them on the forum.

But the main benefit for having a spoiler specific environment when DX3 is released would be good to prevent the mods having to run around adding spoiler tags to everything. There will inevitably be a huge number of threads/posts asking "how do I save Paul?" type questions without thinking to censor it.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Apr 2009, 11:10
For images, I guess people could just post the links to them along with little spoiler warnings. Y'know, without actually displaying them on the forum.

But the main benefit for having a spoiler specific environment when DX3 is released would be good to prevent the mods having to run around adding spoiler tags to everything. There will inevitably be a huge number of threads/posts asking "how do I save Paul?" type questions without thinking to censor it.

Spoilers stay, yes. I definitely don't wish to have anything about the game revealed to me. :(

jordan_a
14th Apr 2009, 11:11
When the game is released we will be confronted to spoiling-thread-title.

Spyhopping
14th Apr 2009, 11:19
Spoilers stay, yes. I definitely don't wish to have anything about the game revealed to me. :(

When the game is released we will be confronted to spoiling-thread-title.

To solve these problems, I was thinking along the lines of the forum being split up into spoiler and spoiler free environments around release. As far as I am aware this is quite common for game forums.
We could have spoiler thread titles galore in the spoiler zone, without any problems. Although this would be a pain in the arse for moderators not wanting all of the secrets of the game revealed to them, but having to keep an eye on content. :scratch:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Apr 2009, 21:55
Yeah, I guess a split forum for spoiler threads would work. I guess it could be free of moderation.

I'd just refuse to go work in there, hehe. :D

Jerion
14th Apr 2009, 21:56
Yeah, I guess a split forum for spoiler threads would work. I guess it could be free of moderation.

I'd just refuse to go work in there, hehe. :D

It could be something that would exist for maybe the first month after the game is shipped. :)

Romeo
14th Apr 2009, 21:58
...Ironically, isn't there already a thread devoted to this topic?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Apr 2009, 22:01
Feel free to merge it. I'm taking a break, so your turn. :p

Romeo
14th Apr 2009, 22:03
Feel free to merge it. I'm taking a break, so your turn. :p
I don't merge, I delete.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Apr 2009, 22:05
Wow, you are one cool, tough dude. :cool:

Jerion
14th Apr 2009, 22:07
I don't merge, I delete.

That explains a lot.

BTW, what's the other thread that's devoted to moderating with moderation? :scratch:

Romeo
14th Apr 2009, 22:10
That explains a lot.

BTW, what's the other thread that's devoted to moderating with moderation? :scratch:
One of the ~50 saying the moderation sucks. I figure they're similar. lol :thumb:

3nails4you
14th Apr 2009, 22:11
I don't merge, I delete.

Also what happens when similar memories and thoughts appear. Romeo learns something new, everything related to the subject is gotten rid of :D

Also explains a lot...

Romeo
14th Apr 2009, 22:12
Also what happens when similar memories and thoughts appear. Romeo learns something new, everything related to the subject is gotten rid of :D

Also explains a lot...
It's a good system. Keeps plenty of memory available. :D

Laokin
15th Apr 2009, 00:52
We have a chat thread for random discussion, yes. Sometimes other threads have discussions that stray off-topic, but this is pretty normal and on the whole the discussion remains on topic with the thread title as a pointer.

There is only one current health regen poll thread though. :scratch:

If a poll thread is merged with a normal thread, the poll is lost (afaik), which is why this has not been done.

I think you miss the point...

Have you ever wondered why people make new threads even though a thread about the said topic already exists?

Sure you have... and I'm sure your logical answer is someone doesn't know how to use the search button....

This is the fallacy. I'll elaborate on the op. Merging topics in this forum has become ludicrous and yes.... CONFUSING. Why? Well.... Why not? I think that is the more appropriate question. Why don't you make a thread called "All things we don't like about DX 3" and merge all the metal gear/health regen/3rd person threads all in one? Why, simply that would be ridiculous!

Why? Because people don't want to wade through 50 pages of posts. Then you get a jack off who makes a post nearly 1:1 with a post made 27 pages back. Then you get the next jack off who has to say "Hey doucheface..... that was already said on page 18.7321, 16 posts from the top 4 posts from the bottom...." ect ect.

It's never a good practice to let threads exceed 20 pages let alone 10, furthermore... it's not really "clogging up" the forum either as it takes virtually the same hard disk space.

Really I don't see an issue with 2 threads about the same topic.... if one is old.... let it just be, well, old. Why merge it at all? So now I have to wade through 27 pages of arguments that aren't relative to my point, albeit it's the same topic.... but the point I'm trying to make is significantly different. What if I want a clean slate... people to read my opinion and post about my opinion..... instead with merged topics people get confused and answer with irrelevant statements.

Furthermore, it's not confusing to the moderator who is on this forum everyday merging topics... for he knows what topics have been merged with other topics.... it comes as no surprise to him/her. When I make a thread that I believe warrants it's own unmerged glory and then it gets merged... and then people are talking about previous topics instead of the discussion I tried to start.... it gets awfully baffling. Especially when I didn't think my thread should of been merged at all... now I'm even more confused because I don't even know what thread it's actually been merged with. This usually results in me searching my own posts and/or going to my profile to find a list of posts I have made.....

These are the times threads should be left alone.... instead this forum is a bloody mess. It's by far the most unorganized forum with the most moderation I have ever been involved with. People get infractions before warnings... and in some cases get warnings AND infractions at the same time.....

Like me. I got an infraction for defending myself against illogical personal attacks.... the justification? He got one too.... The funny part, a warning would of sufficed...(especially since I didn't start the arguments... but I was the one picked on) which is why there is a "Warning" route to begin with. I've never obtained an infraction in the past..... never received a warning in the past... then out of nowhere, defending myself I get a warning and just 2 minutes later.... (I was logged off this whole time) I receive an infraction. I was later told that the warning was a mistake...... Which is just plain stupid because a warning would of sufficed.

This is akin to a kid getting picked on and beat up in school. If you get caught getting the ish kicked out of you... guess what happens.... you BOTH get suspended. Why should the kid who was getting picked on be punished at all? Don't we all have the right to defend ourselves? I guess we really have no rights at all... especially on the interwebs where free speech is supposed to be guaranteed... when in more instances than not it's actually restricted.

But hey such is life..... I chalk it up to people having special powers... you know what they say, absolute power corrupts absolutely. In this case, it's people abusing their privileges with nobody to moderate the moderators.

Hence the reason our country is in economic depression. The people with privileges abused them, they weren't regulated (read: moderated) so who could stop them really?

*Sigh*

I encourage people to actually USE their brains in life... rather than make irrational decisions based on personal opinions rather than weigh facts and let there be exceptions to the rule, because for every rule... there is ALWAYS an exception.

Example, Murder. It's illegal to kill anybody... but the exception to the rule is in self defense. When some one is attacked weather it be by words/force ect ect.... the victim should ALWAYS be allowed to retaliate without punishment as long as it's done in the SAME vein.

I.E. I got infracted for a counter-argument.

But ya know... the moderators are totally right.

*Edit*

Example http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=85434&page=3

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Apr 2009, 06:39
I didn't miss the point, its just that we think the forum is run fine and you're making it sound much more complicated than it actually is, or has to be, hehe. :D

Mezmerizer
15th Apr 2009, 07:44
Why? Because people don't want to wade through 50 pages of posts. Then you get a jack off who makes a post nearly 1:1 with a post made 27 pages back. Then you get the next jack off who has to say "Hey doucheface..... that was already said on page 18.7321, 16 posts from the top 4 posts from the bottom...." ect ect.
:lol:

GmanPro
15th Apr 2009, 14:35

I lol'd :lol:

ect ect.

etc*

DXeXodus
15th Apr 2009, 18:44
Well this is certainly an entertaining thread. I think all that we need is a good dose of DX3 information and I'm praying hard every night at side of my bed that it is information that makes all of you happy. Because if you are happy, I get to keep my hair :D

Romeo
15th Apr 2009, 19:23
Well this is certainly an entertaining thread. I think all that we need is a good dose of DX3 information and I'm praying hard every night at side of my bed that it is information that makes all of you happy. Because if you are happy, I get to keep my hair :D
Just shave it. Hurts less. ;)

GmanPro
15th Apr 2009, 22:57
Lol, I think I might be starting to lose hair. At 18 too, lol wtf. Its all the stress from regenerating health :D I'm gonna look like K^2 soon.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Apr 2009, 07:08
Okay, as we are now talking about receding hairlines I guess this thread is going nowhere (I suspected it all along :p ) and as Romeo forgot to delete it, I'm closing it. Someone has to be consistent around here. ;)

Any complaints, just PM me.... *sigh*