PDA

View Full Version : Thief:DS Crash on Start

Pillboxz
13th Apr 2009, 04:17
Hello,

I recently got the urge to play Thief: DS again, and now every time I play I get this error the minute I try to launch the game.

"Thief: Deadly Shadows has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I have gone through this forum and done a lot of Google searches and tried everything I could find. My video drivers are as far as I am aware completely up to date, and I have played around with the affinity for the program (although since it just crashes immediately I have no idea if it would do anything). I have also done a multiple uninstalls/reinstall. I have also tried every mode that Vista will let me for the compatibility part. Even trying to just run it as an administrator doesn't seem to work. I have DX10, but I have also run the DX 9.0c install just to see if that would help and so far nothing (hopefully this won't cause any problems heh.).

When I go into the events log I get this

"Faulting application T3Main.exe, version 1.0.0.1, time stamp 0x40c8a4da, faulting module T3Main.exe, version 1.0.0.1, time stamp 0x40c8a4da, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00c0ca6f, process id 0xb20, application start time 0x01c9bbee65c5e768."

I also get this error when I try to use the shortcut on my desktop

"Faulting application t3.exe, version 1.0.0.1, time stamp 0x4099f5ab, faulting module t3.exe, version 1.0.0.1, time stamp 0x4099f5ab, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00249a27, process id 0x3c8, application start time 0x01c9bbef0fa4e748."

Here are my system specs
Imac
Into core 2 duo: 3.02 ghz
Ram: 2 gigs
HD: 215 (partitioned between OSX and Vista 500gb total HD space)
Video card: Nvidia 8800gs 512
Audio: It is integrated but the drivers say Realtek High definition audio

Also I am not sure if it matters, but I got my copy from Direct2drive a few years ago and I have sent them an email, but I am not sure if they will actually be able to/willing to give me any help with this.

Worse comes to worse I can always try to run this inside my XP virtual machine although that seems a tad bit excessive.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

-Pill

theBlackman
13th Apr 2009, 09:46
The game was not made to run on VISTA. And as for VISTA 64 if you had it running you did better than most. You also need to set the affinity to a SINGLE CORE. Dual and quad core settings will NOT run the game in any system.

Some few have got it to run on VISTA, I suggest a global search in the TECH forum for VISTA and see what turns up.

You might also try the THIEF forums on www.ttlg.com.

Good luck.

GmanPro
13th Apr 2009, 18:32
I remember TDS crashing for me a while back, and I was getting ready to search around for a DDfix type of thing but in the end I didn't need to. All I did was download the AMD dual-core optimizer (I have AMD, so I dunno if Intel has something similar ... maybe), and presto! TDS started up and played all the way through no problems.

hafitz
18th Apr 2009, 14:16
Don't use Data Execution Prevention (DEP) for vista if you have such crash..may it helps...It fix for me many games that has such crashes...