PDA

View Full Version : Modern Thief?

Lord Tony
8th Apr 2009, 05:58
Why exactly would Thief 4 be modern? They plan on reviving the series but something like this would just cripple it. Thief would never be the same and new fans of thief would have a different perspective on it than the ones who only played the medieval thief. Infact you can't make a modern thief game it would just be the same as those stealth Hitman or those Tom Clancy games. Thief was something different and unique and putting it in a modern setting will just take the originality out of the game.

jtr7
8th Apr 2009, 06:09
The main sources for this notion are collected here:
http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/Unnamed_Thief_4_project

It's been discussed a lot very recently in this current thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=76597

It was discussed a lot in this old-yet-currently-updated thread:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120596

And another thread really having fun with the idea:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124167

There are more, of course, since the 2005 interview, and by many who have only discovered the concept later.

Just use the "Search This Thread" function for those big threads and search for "modern" or "future".

WhatsHisFace
8th Apr 2009, 15:47
I think they could pull it off, honestly. Having the Keepers being like a modern secret society would give it something of a Deus-Ex feel, and modern technology equivalents of the water arrow, rope-arrow and the black-jack would ensure that the gameplay would be the same. Not to mention the modern era allows for some more interesting scenarios and gameplay opportunities.

GmanPro
8th Apr 2009, 15:57
I'm sure it would, but it wouldn't be Thief anymore. It would be Deus Ex with ... less stuff.

Lord Tony
8th Apr 2009, 18:30
I think they could pull it off, honestly. Having the Keepers being like a modern secret society would give it something of a Deus-Ex feel, and modern technology equivalents of the water arrow, rope-arrow and the black-jack would ensure that the gameplay would be the same. Not to mention the modern era allows for some more interesting scenarios and gameplay opportunities.

But how would they pull it off. Modern police are different than the city guard. How could you get away from the police once they spot you, this isn't GTA. Also it's much harder stealing from a modern house since most people are up at night, light switches, security alarms, police, phones. Sure it would be more challenging but it wouldn't be thief anymore than just a modern stealth game. Also how can they make the Shalebridge Cradle in a modern setting? I don't see how anyone could make that scary in a modern environment, Silent hill isn't even scary.

GmanPro
8th Apr 2009, 18:43
To be fair, there are plenty of games with modern settings that have managed to achieve that same scary feeling that the cradle pulled off, but enough of that.

Modern Thief = fail.

Oh and technically, Thief 2 had light switches, security cameras, and alarms already so ... no reason to jump centuries into the future. The awesome steampunk tech is all there already.

Lord Tony
8th Apr 2009, 22:54
To be fair, there are plenty of games with modern settings that have managed to achieve that same scary feeling that the cradle pulled off, but enough of that.

But you have to admit a modern scary game is not the same dark feeling a medieval one provides.

Queue2
9th Apr 2009, 18:03
Lord Tony-
Are you saying that in general for all games? If so, I must beg to differ--Silent Hill scared that crap out of me.

Lord Tony
9th Apr 2009, 22:24
Lord Tony-
Are you saying that in general for all games? If so, I must beg to differ--Silent Hill scared that crap out of me.

Sure the original silent hill games are scary. But each Silent Hill sequel is the same thing. Some guy goes in a hospital to attack dead nurses, it's getting old I don't see how it can still be scary.

DOOM3 only gets scary because of the darkness. If you download the ductape mod so you can put the flash light on your gun, then it's not scary anymore. It was only scary because you had to switch from flash light to gun.

F.E.A.R is over rated.

Resident Evil 5 it's not scary anymore because you now have someone else helping you unlike RE4 you were alone. (You're alone if you don't count Ashley because she is useless.)

WhatsHisFace
10th Apr 2009, 01:24
But how would they pull it off. Modern police are different than the city guard. How could you get away from the police once they spot you, this isn't GTA. Also it's much harder stealing from a modern house since most people are up at night, light switches, security alarms, police, phones. Sure it would be more challenging but it wouldn't be thief anymore than just a modern stealth game. Also how can they make the Shalebridge Cradle in a modern setting? I don't see how anyone could make that scary in a modern environment, Silent hill isn't even scary.
Play the Oceanside Hotel mission in "Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines."

GmanPro
10th Apr 2009, 05:18
Scary moments in games don't really scare me anymore :hmm: I think my 'fear senses' have been dulled after playing through that Thief: The Dark Project mission where Garrett is trapped inside the ancient Hammerite Cathedral and has to escape with the eye. I was only like 13 when I first played that game, completely freaked me out man...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Apr 2009, 15:09
A 'modern' Thief? No Thanks! :eek:

You are all crazy. :rasp:

GmanPro
10th Apr 2009, 17:55
Thank you!!! :D

That's one thing we can all agree that should NOT be changed. We don't have to wait to play the game first to be sure of that :thumb:

BrokenArts
11th Apr 2009, 20:19
Play the Oceanside Hotel mission in "Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines."

I LOVE that game! Played it many times.

Lord Tony
12th Apr 2009, 04:48
Dodging arrows is hard enough in medieval thief, imagine guns. I also don't see how they can do zombies in a modern setting.

BrokenArts
12th Apr 2009, 17:29
I also don't see how they can do zombies in a medieval setting.

You are kidding me. Have you PLAYED Thief at all? Probably just T3.

Lord Tony
12th Apr 2009, 18:05
You are kidding me. Have you PLAYED Thief at all? Probably just T3.

I played Thief gold and deadly shadows. I meant to say modern not medieval, sorry. Thief 3 also had zombies if you recall.

GmanPro
12th Apr 2009, 23:22
Lol, maybe we should have a poll. To see what people think about a modern Thief game. :D

jk people

@Lord Tony

Wait ... so you haven't played Thief 2!?!?! The best one of the entire series!!!11

mattmanr
13th Apr 2009, 00:38
if they could "redo" the original 2 games with modern graphics and maybe add on after Thief 3 I think that would be the best thing to do. I loved the storylines for Thief 1 and 2 and liked Thief 3 a little less but it was still good. I think they could also do what THief would be like from the point of view of a guard or a hammerite or one of the NPC's.

jtr7
13th Apr 2009, 01:05
If the new Thief takes place in the same City, along the same timeline, and not too far into the future, I would be ecstatic to see the old textures at the highest modern resolution applied to the higher poly meshes and bump maps. Mark Lizotte traveled Europe and took thousands of photographs of statues, carvings, friezes, tiles, bricks, wood, doors, columns, clocks, clockworks, ceilings, arches, tapestries, rugs, wallpapers, and brought in scans of real historic paintings, and then the photos were scanned in and prepared for use in the Dark Engine. If those original photographs were still available, or if the next Art Director could do the same kind of thing before the meshes are made, it would bring back many of the things that were missing from the world of TDS.

WhatsHisFace
13th Apr 2009, 02:19
If the new Thief takes place in the same City, along the same timeline, and not too far into the future, I would be ecstatic to see the old textures at the highest modern resolution applied to the higher poly meshes and bump maps. Mark Lizotte traveled Europe and took thousands of photographs of statues, carvings, friezes, tiles, bricks, wood, doors, columns, clocks, clockworks, ceilings, arches, tapestries, rugs, wallpapers, and brought in scans of real historic paintings, and then the photos were scanned in and prepared for use in the Dark Engine. If those original photographs were still available, or if the next Art Director could do the same kind of thing before the meshes are made, it would bring back many of the things that were missing from the world of TDS.
I think Thief 3 had the best art direction of them all.

Lord Tony
13th Apr 2009, 03:57
What they should do is keep it medieval but this time Garret moves to a different bigger city.

GmanPro
13th Apr 2009, 04:33
No, keep the city. Just make IT bigger. You could then have him travel about some too, like Markham's Isle

Oh and ... a remake? Are you guys serious? That's a job fit for the community. I'd rather Eidos spend ALL of their effort on making 1 solid new Thief game.

jtr7
13th Apr 2009, 16:29
I think Thief 3 had the best art direction of them all.

Yeah. Everything's nearly the same everywhere, except the lighting, which makes all the colors in the textures monochromatic. Instead of an eclectic mix of things from all over Europe, and multiple artists' signature styles, it all looks like Frank Teran's work. None of the paintings tell the Thief story. All the statues are made faceless or very near so, and all look like the same artist carved them from the same rock. Wrought-iron curlicues on the Clock face (with 8 hours, not twelve, wait...no other standard clocks anywhere), on the fences, on the Enforcer's shoulders, on the equipment. Three significantly-different resolutions of character renderings in the cutscenes. And the Hand-drawn maps are the drawings the devs gave to the art department to work from, and instead, the art department just added clipart and icons, to the devs' embarrassment. Sorry, for all the flaws in all the games, I think the look of TDS is the least interesting. Most agree it's lacking the quirky charm of the older titles. But yet again, this is an old argument, and no one will change their mind.

GmanPro
13th Apr 2009, 16:45
There is one thing in particular that I absolutely love about TDS that isn't quite there in the classic Thiefs. When playing TDS I like to turn the bass way up on my speakers and rest my feet on top of my sub woofer and just feel the guard's footsteps as they walk just a few feet away from me. Sometimes I can feel the ambience too. Absolutely fantastic! Epic immersion points. You can sometimes do that in the classic Thiefs too, but not as well.

jtr7
13th Apr 2009, 19:20
Yeah, the sounds are at a higher resolution which is definitely a good thing.

Another major clue about how different TDS is:
You won't find nearly as many people lovingly picking apart the details and cherishing almost every little thing with TDS. Not nearly as much friendly and heated debating over just the story, speculating on what things mean that have no explanation, not as many writing novels, screenplays, poems, or--heh heh--pushing it on as many people as possible like a gateway drug for Thiefy stealth, telling exciting stories about every mission, laughing as much, freaking out as much over several missions, devouring old interviews or new interviews that talk about TDP, and so on.

I keep hoping the T3 fans can match the fandom of the TDP/TG/TMA era in pure passionate geekdom, that goes deeper than how fun it was, how it's the best, how cool and scary the Cradle was, because I really want to hear their insights on the game, to hear a serious and knowledgeable perspective that I can learn from. As far as I know there are very few of us Thief fans who are sifting through every bit of TDS, while TDP/Gold has been combed through many many times, and TMA not much more than TDS. So, eliminating pure gameplay, putting the Cradle aside, ignoring the graphics, what else do the TDS-is-best camp think is really really special? This could be helpful for speculating about a Thief 4, too.

Lord Tony
14th Apr 2009, 01:00
The best thing about Deadly Shadows is the mechanical eye. What I love about it is you can see in the dark with it. Also if you hold shift down with the eye on you can keep it on and move at the same time. Doing that made the Cradle and the Abysmal Gale less scary. There are some problems with TDS like for example stone monsters, cradle puppets and some zombies cannot attack you if you're crouching, which I am not complaining but once you figure out that exploit the game's fun is taken out.

sinephase
27th Apr 2009, 04:37
Oh and technically, Thief 2 had light switches, security cameras, and alarms already so ... no reason to jump centuries into the future. The awesome steampunk tech is all there already.

That's a good point. It really makes me picture T2 with updated graphics and better immersive environments. When I think about it, that's really what I want (and a continuation of the story of course). :D

Lord Tony
11th May 2009, 09:42
There is one thing in particular that I absolutely love about TDS that isn't quite there in the classic Thiefs. When playing TDS I like to turn the bass way up on my speakers and rest my feet on top of my sub woofer and just feel the guard's footsteps as they walk just a few feet away from me. Sometimes I can feel the ambience too. Absolutely fantastic! Epic immersion points. You can sometimes do that in the classic Thiefs too, but not as well.

I bet you don't stay in the Cradle very long then.

Belboz
15th May 2009, 16:18
How could you have a moden version of thief, if you stayed within the thief world from the previous games, then the world there is totally alien to our world now. They have tesla electrical systems, sending free electricity through the air, you could have it here and now, but you cant its not allowed. The Mechanists add a bit of modernization to the world of thief, they had art deco buildings, and mechanical beasts and robots to do their bidding, even thou they were steam powered, robots today are toys not machines to do your bidding, and most robots in our world are not actual robots they're remote controlled machines, eg take robot wars on tv all the machines are remote controled, not a single robot on the whole show.

I always though that thief was set in some sort of future version of now, where something nasty had happened in the past and only bits of technology had survived, and the builder had brought the survivors out of the wilderness and given them some sort of future.

So giving it some sort of modern setting just wouldn't fit it anywhere.

Nyquil
12th Jun 2009, 21:36
This is what I think, If you want a modern stealth game, play Splinter cell and metal gear solid. Thief is a medieval game, and thats what its going to be, end of story. You cannot change a game that is already in one current age, especially if the series is already making a hit. Thief is a game that started out the way it did, and the fans like the way the game is placed. Why would you want to change it, all because you think the game would seem cool modernized. The fans and customers are always right and they like thief because the way it was brought to them. It would be like changing metal gear solid into a medieval age, and put solid snake into a portal and sneaking through medieval castles. It does not seem right for the series, nor it makes no sense, because now you have to change the whole storyline and change the game entirely.

Nyquil
12th Jun 2009, 21:49
The only good solution, if people really want a modern thief, is if someone made a mod out for thief and make it into a modernized version. Thats the only solution that can come into my mind. Because people are not interested in a storyline or a plot, they only want to sneak through cameras and break into buildings. Well, a person who is good with graphics and mixing around with game engines can help you with that. But I dont want the story to get ****ed up, because some people want to play thief in a future sense. Its not going to happen, period.

jtr7
12th Jun 2009, 22:42
Did you mean to post this over in the Thief 4 forums?

Thanks for pointing that out. Any breaks from the Thief formula and character traits should be reserved for modding and FMs, where anything goes. :)

kai
5th Jul 2009, 19:12
woohoo~supporting this thread! MEDIVAL THIEF FOREVER!