PDA

View Full Version : IDLE MODE - What should Adam do and say?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Apr 2009, 21:23
Okay, I'm carrying this topic over from general chat thread as it would be nice to hear all your ideas. :cool:
Suggestions can be seriously thought out... or they can be funny. :D

When you just leave the game running but don't play, idle-mode kicks in and your character starts to do and/or say something while they wait for you to resume play.

So, what are your ideas for Adam to do/say?

I'll stick to what I said in the chat thread:

I'd like Adam to reach for his tobacco and say: "Time for a cigarette...", and smoke it.
If you haven't returned to game, he can stub it out with his boot and the next time he would say "Time for another..", and so on.

Perhaps Adam could even say the odd, random philosophical or quirky quote like: "Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs" or “Sooner or later, everyone stops smoking” (Authors Unknown)

GmanPro
3rd Apr 2009, 22:11
Adam: "I'm getting too old for this..."

I dunno, you gotta mix it up. Its the kind of thing that could get annoying very quickly.

imported_van_HellSing
3rd Apr 2009, 22:22
Adam's HUD sunglasses should start displaying a screensaver.

jordan_a
3rd Apr 2009, 22:58
Before this thread I thought we had covered every aspect of the game. :D

El_Bel
3rd Apr 2009, 23:06
Smoker's a smoker when the chips're downn and my chips're down...

Romeo
3rd Apr 2009, 23:06
"I need a smoke."

"I wonder what time it is..."

"That ashtray to the head really left a mark."

"Well now, this is interesting."

"I'm hungry."

"Oh, the weather outside is frightful..."

"Anyone got an advil?"

As for actions:

Plays with the gun, different actions for different guns.
Smokes.
Wipes his sunglasses clean.
Yawns.
Whistles.
Cracks his neck.
Plays with his lighter.

Those are all I can think of for now.

IOOI
3rd Apr 2009, 23:37
-"Damn augs... my joints are starting to hurt!"/"Damn joints!"
-He stares at his hands and says "All little piggies safe at home.".
-"Head check! Body check! Little piggies check!".
-If AJ has some kind of speed aug he could say "Running like this I could join the Olympics!". This can be adapted for other augs.
-Occasionally rotates his augmented hand (1080º).
-He looks at his augmented arms and says "Feels light! Works right!", "I wonder if i can cook something with this?", "Don't fail on me now!" (when its out of energy).
-He whistles the DX1 main theme (that should be my easter egg) or the MacGyver main theme and says in the end "Gotta love those classics!".

Pyronox
4th Apr 2009, 00:34
Definitely want to see him perform some lighter tricks. Like the fireball one.

He could also do that western thing where the guy spins his gun around his finger and lands it in it's holster.

On a side note, who says it's a cigarette he's smoking? I know in DX1 they had "real" cigarettes, but what if AJ just smoked the substance in cocoa that acts as an endorphin booster? :D

(Copyright idea-^ )

Everyone's happy and AJ doesn't have to purchase new aug lungs every 5 hours or so.

GmanPro
4th Apr 2009, 00:44
-He whistles the DX1 main theme...

Do want!

jordan_a
4th Apr 2009, 00:59
-He whistles the DX1 main themeI love you.

Blade_hunter
4th Apr 2009, 01:20
I want to be the "MacGyver" guy who whistles the DX theme ^^

Necros
4th Apr 2009, 01:34
-He whistles the DX1 main theme
Or hums it, but anyway it's a great idea, I want it in the game too. :cool:

SemiAnonymous
4th Apr 2009, 03:12
I love the whistling bit. This must be in the game.

Anyways, I figure he could mess around with his augs, like if he has that Sword-in-the-arm aug, he could partially open it, check it out, stuff like that. Maybe fiddle around with his other augs, check for loose screws and such.

GmanPro
4th Apr 2009, 03:18
Lol, I wanna see him spray some WD-40 on his augs

Jerion
4th Apr 2009, 03:31
I think the whistling bit, but I think it'd be one of those little hidden things like the piano in Maggie Chow's apartment.

Lol, I wanna see him spray some WD-40 on his augs

Fixit rule no. 1: If it moves and it's not supposed to, use Duct Tape. If it's not moving and it's supposed to, use WD40. :cool:

rokstrombo
4th Apr 2009, 05:40
Maybe Adam is really dumb without the player controlling him. Like dropping his gun, or shooting himself in the foot, or lighting the wrong end of his cigarette and getting confused. The player returns to find Adam quietly sobbing in the corner, and has to spend the next few minutes picking up their inventory and gently coaxing Adam back into the game.

Jerion
4th Apr 2009, 05:48
:lol: :lol: :lol:

3nails4you
4th Apr 2009, 05:48
Stand there and tap his foot like Sonic with his arms folded. 'Nuff said.

gamer0004
4th Apr 2009, 05:50
"Barely a scratch" every time he is hurt.

FrankCSIS
4th Apr 2009, 06:34
Maybe Adam is really dumb without the player controlling him. Like dropping his gun, or shooting himself in the foot, or lighting the wrong end of his cigarette and getting confused. The player returns to find Adam quietly sobbing in the corner, and has to spend the next few minutes picking up their inventory and gently coaxing Adam back into the game.

Adam's a tamagotchi :(

Cast my vote for whistling/humming the theme. That's sheer simplistic brilliance in aerosol form.

I like the zippo tricks too.

JCD
4th Apr 2009, 07:08
- Zippo tricks: nice, I like them
- Whistling main DX theme: I totally approve
- Scratching/stretching/etc: it's nice, it makes the character a bit more human
- Light cigarettes: I also approve, I like characters that smoke

He could also stare up to the sky for a brief time (looking for God) and then turn his head down somewhat dissapointed. Looking at his hands (remembering all the things he has done) and turning his head away. (these remind me of Jack Bauer :lol: )

Lighting a cigarette, smoking it for just a bit, sighing, throwing it away and then lighting another one. Saying some Latin quotes. Putting hands in pockets. Rubbing his hands. Fixing his hair with a quick move. Cleaning sunglasses.

That's all I can think right now :cool:

imported_van_HellSing
4th Apr 2009, 08:07
-He whistles the DX1 main theme

Better yet, sings Yahtzee's lyrics to the DX1 main theme.

"Puuuut on a trenchcoat and fiiiiiight some conspiracies..."

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Apr 2009, 08:40
Love all of the suggestions so far! :cool: :thumb:

Meta_X
4th Apr 2009, 10:22
Adam's HUD sunglasses should start displaying a screensaver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6heJBmgektA&feature=related

:cool:

Blade_hunter
4th Apr 2009, 11:54
The cigarettes can't be dangerous for adam :P

Jerion
4th Apr 2009, 12:23
Yeah, but in theory it might also affect the average passerby's disposition towards you. O_o

Necros
4th Apr 2009, 12:38
He can crack his knuckles every once in a while.
:thumbsup: At first it should sound like a normal cracking sound. But after you get augmented hands, the sounds has to change and Adam could say something like this too: "Oops, have to be careful, I don't wanna brake 'em." :D

I don't really like the screensaver in the sunglasses idea but a TV channel or something like that could be good. :)

WhatsHisFace
4th Apr 2009, 13:51
He should just say, "What are you waiting for... Christmas?"

Seriously, that's it.

http://www.megaleecher.net/uploads/duke_nukem.jpg

IOOI
4th Apr 2009, 14:15

Seriously, that's it.

http://www.megaleecher.net/uploads/duke_nukem.jpg

Heh-heh! Spot on. Touchée.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArmNU3RaUMM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpTmnGnARvc&feature=related

Lets see if they announce it this year.
Take-Two in E3. (http://www.e3expo.com/content/1146/exhibitor-list/#alpha-t)

I wonder if Eidos and Square will share their booths?

Necros
4th Apr 2009, 14:51

Seriously, that's it.
Nah, I don't think so. EM should come up with their own stuff.

WhatsHisFace
4th Apr 2009, 15:27
Nah, I don't think so. EM should come up with their own stuff.

Like regenerating health?

Romeo
4th Apr 2009, 17:55
Like regenerating health?
Like hexagonical foreheads. I really want Adam to at least acknowledge he looks like he was beat with a polygon.

Spyhopping
4th Apr 2009, 19:14
Or a hexagonal cookie cutter :p
To produce... DX3 cookies!

IOOI
4th Apr 2009, 19:47
Na! That hexagonal mark was the result of a prank perpetrated by Adams mates in the security academy.
He beated with his forehead at the top bed of a bunk bed and now is part of the "family". Hooah!:D

KSingh77
4th Apr 2009, 23:41
Co-worker:Adam you can't smoke in here.

Adam:Huh?Why?

Co-worker:Because this is a non-smoking zone,sorry bud.

Adam:Fricking god damn rules,guy can't have a smoke these days....

Romeo
5th Apr 2009, 00:27
Co-worker:Adam you can't smoke in here.

Adam:Huh?Why?

Co-worker:Because this is a non-smoking zone,sorry bud.

Adam:Fricking god damn rules,guy can't have a smoke these days....
Probably not the way they'd talk. Besides, that seems more like a dialogue than an idle interaction. But welcome to the forums!

Firepith
5th Apr 2009, 06:26
Note to the devs: If the whistling/humming the DX1 theme suggestion is not implemented, a rumor will persist that it is there anyway, and your inboxes will be flooded with email after email asking how/where it is, so... just remember that, ok? :)

JCD
5th Apr 2009, 10:51
He could start touching his hexagon, look at his hand and turn his head away. "Play" with his augmentations and also turning his head away, in an unhappy manner (remembering-his-lost-humanity mode) ;)

itsalladream
6th Apr 2009, 02:41

I'm sitting here at work in the teacher's room and could restrain the little bit of laughter that snuck out.

Don't forget though, if he has any cool moves with his lighter or gun, we should go into 3rd person so we can see it all.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Apr 2009, 22:54
Note to the devs: If the whistling/humming the DX1 theme suggestion is not implemented, a rumor will persist that it is there anyway, and your inboxes will be flooded with email after email asking how/where it is, so... just remember that, ok? :)

I like the idea of Adam paying homage to DX1 theme. :cool:

TrickyVein
8th Apr 2009, 01:30
The crash dance

Gary_Savage
10th Apr 2009, 03:22
I'm a little nervous about Adam doing things when idle, because cracking joints, or whistling, etc. would give his position away during a situation requiring stealth. So, if idling is implemented, then it might be necessary to have a 'mode' where he cannot idle -- a mode that the player can slip into, and out of, so s/he can enjoy listening to Adam whistling the DX1 theme (I like that suggestion). Some might think that the player should not be idle, too long, during a stealth portion of a mission, but it takes a long time to study guards' patrol patterns, and the time the moves, particularly in a large facility, or one where the number of guards is large.

OuttaZyme
10th Apr 2009, 05:56
I'd like to see him coyly toss a medkit in the air a few times, taunting us with its untouchable proximity. "You...want...this, don't you?"

And for other audio;

"What are you waiting for? A skul-gun?"

"You know what? Bravery IS a function of firepower, so let's get going!"

"They actually let you point a gun at people?"

Or they could alternately show him in third-person idle animations wearing various slogan t-shirts. My first pick would be "de Tocqueville was a poosy!"

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Apr 2009, 10:02
I'd like to see him coyly toss a medkit in the air a few times...

LOL, he could juggle 3 of them and entertain us. :D

Necros
10th Apr 2009, 13:20
I'm a little nervous about Adam doing things when idle, because cracking joints, or whistling, etc. would give his position away during a situation requiring stealth. So, if idling is implemented, then it might be necessary to have a 'mode' where he cannot idle -- a mode that the player can slip into, and out of, so s/he can enjoy listening to Adam whistling the DX1 theme (I like that suggestion). Some might think that the player should not be idle, too long, during a stealth portion of a mission, but it takes a long time to study guards' patrol patterns, and the time the moves, particularly in a large facility, or one where the number of guards is large.
Or the game could recognise if you are in any danger and if you are, then the idle mode wouldn't be avalaible. :)

Spyhopping
10th Apr 2009, 13:32
Joyfully whistling DX theme might be a bit inappropriate when something tragic has just happened too. It's a good idea though! Even if the DX theme isn't the easiest tune to whistle. (for me, at least) :)

Romeo
12th Apr 2009, 23:34
"Where do they find all these evil guards from?"

"I should look up that lovely girl from France some time..."

"I wonder what happened to good ole' Rock and Roll..."

*Does the peepee dance*

*Yawns*

*Pulls out his hands like pistols while going "Pew pew" then pretending to holster them.*

TrickyVein
14th Apr 2009, 18:04
Pull out a screwdriver and start tinkering with himself. Maybe apply some oil to his elbow joints.

Romeo
14th Apr 2009, 22:06
Pull out a screwdriver and start tinkering with himself. Maybe apply some oil to his elbow joints.
Hehe, that would be funny. Especially after some crack about using too much elbow grease.

Jerion
14th Apr 2009, 22:18
Hehe, that would be funny. Especially after some crack about using too much elbow grease.

Need to go to the store and get some more of that. We're running low on headlight fluid too.

Romeo
14th Apr 2009, 22:49
Need to go to the store and get some more of that. We're running low on headlight fluid too.
Oh my gosh, I loved when they fooled that poor woman into thinking she needed more head-light fluid. Hm, what else can we make Adam say that's self-ridiculing... I wouldn't mind some reference to Inspector Gadget. :)

TrickyVein
15th Apr 2009, 00:10
oh MAN!!!

can you imagine every time:

"Go go BALLISTIC PROTECTION!"

"Go go AGGRESSIVE DEFENSE DRONE!"

"I choose you, RUN SILENT!"

WhatsHisFace
15th Apr 2009, 00:27
Given the direction this game is going in, Adam should always say, "I'm ready to kick some ASS!" when he's not in the process of kicking ass.

luminar
16th Apr 2009, 01:06
Personally the whistling is pure genuis and also almost a gamebreaker if not included. As for my suggestions.

1. Do air guitar to the Deus Ex theme.
2. do something mechanized like an auto self check for the joints complete with sexy female computer voice and suprised reaction from Adam.
3. Turns around to player and says "I was made to assist you."
4. Kind of off topic but someone has to say "I am a prototype for a much larger system."

WhatsHisFace
16th Apr 2009, 01:08
DOUBLE AIR GUITAR **** YEAHR!!! :nut:

KSingh77
19th Apr 2009, 23:57
Adam can whistle the Deus Ex theme.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd May 2009, 21:15
I like a lot of the ideas suggested. :)
Wonder if the devs are taking note and will use one... that would be cool. :cool:

splyez
4th May 2009, 07:50
i think he should poke his ear and smell it :D

ZylonBane
4th May 2009, 14:37
Absolutely nothing, other than the standard weapon idle animations.

This is Deus Ex, not smegging Duke Nukem.

splyez
5th May 2009, 06:27
oh come one :D somethign fun would be nice ^^ like the inspector gadget thing ^^

PlasmaSnake101
2nd Dec 2009, 05:36
It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of gum.

or

It's time to stop playing with myself.

Senka
2nd Dec 2009, 08:10
Idle animations for specific augs? ;)

Cmd_lupin
2nd Dec 2009, 15:24

And after saying that he would place an aug back to it's original position.

KSingh77
2nd Dec 2009, 15:32
He would use his arm blade to cut some steak.

Hertzila
2nd Dec 2009, 15:49
Whistle the DX Theme or sing Yahtzees lyrics for it.

Whistle Inspector Gadgets Theme.

Play with augs and guns, like moving his hands in irregular motions (bending thumb in the wrong way, 360 turn) or doing this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeTI11fUW8o) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKeqpJMDdZw) with pistols/revolvers (I was going to suggest tying this to his pistol skill but perhaps it could be tied to his hand-augs instead).

Doing "proper" things with his augs and guns, like checking for fractures, loose screws, does something need oil; tapping/petting his gun, checking ammo and chamber and sights.

Cmd_lupin
2nd Dec 2009, 15:49
He would use his arm blade to cut some steak.
And the claymore aug to cook it.

dragons_tongue
2nd Dec 2009, 15:59
shape up his goatee, trim a hair or two with scissorhands aug while looking at his reflection on his current weapon...if its nice and shiny

Blade_hunter
2nd Dec 2009, 16:33
Adam Jensen Transform
*Transformation sequence*
Adam Jensen transformation completed
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/2173i34BE1FED7AAE1641/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1
:rasp:

InGroove2
2nd Dec 2009, 16:52
how about he does some stretches, or scratches himself.... or his eyelids droop (the screen closes in) and eventually he goes to sleep, snoring and you see a dream of his... could be some woman, could be chocolate cake etc...

how about he take out a book and start reading. or cracks open a slim jim.

meditates?

starts doing the math, quietly to himself... on what ammo and items you have "ok, so if i shoot 12 rounds, i'll be down to one more clip, then i'll need to find more of that... and ok,

or better yet:

"the longer i stand here, let's say 5 seconds, my health will regenerate 15 points, so i'll need to stand for... uh.... hmmm... 100 divided by 15 is roughly shy of 7, so 7... 7 x 5 is 35, ok so 35 seconds to be healthy again? that seems way too long... i should be in a more popular game"

Blade_hunter
2nd Dec 2009, 16:55
You have just invented the gun that shoots all the digits of Pi

dragons_tongue
2nd Dec 2009, 17:01
huh? pi = 22/7 ~ 3.14. :confused:

InGroove2
2nd Dec 2009, 19:46
You have just invented the gun that shoots all the digits of Pi

is that a compliment to me?

Blade_hunter
2nd Dec 2009, 21:23
Yup, that's it

Ashpolt
2nd Dec 2009, 21:25
"the longer i stand here, let's say 5 seconds, my health will regenerate 15 points, so i'll need to stand for... Uh.... Hmmm... 100 divided by 15 is roughly shy of 7, so 7... 7 x 5 is 35, ok so 35 seconds to be healthy again? That seems way too long... I should be in a more popular game"

Win.

InGroove2
2nd Dec 2009, 23:13
Yup, that's it

i think it was seinfeld who gave the advice to george....

leave on a high note.

"OK, everyone, that's it! I'm done for today! Thanks for comin!"

KSingh77
2nd Dec 2009, 23:28
Hopefully do this at Adam's workplace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QUV45ZgIjI&feature=related

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Dec 2009, 22:04
It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of gum.

or

Haha, that made me grin.