PDA

View Full Version : Should there be fog in Shipping... And Receiving?

Moonraker0
21st Mar 2009, 01:01
Should the second level have fog? I don't see it like in screenshots (though there are none showing this level with fog), and I didn't have it in the first one either. I have it on in the options. I am on Vista 64 bit, with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 280, using driver 181.22. I've tried all the compatibility modes (though Win95/98/ME caused a "DirectX 7 not installed" error). Thief 2 is running as admin. DDFix is enabled. I'll just give you the settings, if you want them...

[Main]
;Screen resolution
;Must be 800x600 or greater
gWidth=1600
gHeight=1200

;Refresh rate. 0 is default, anything else to override.
RefreshRate=0

;Set to 1 to fix the dual core related crash
MultiCoreFix=1

;Set to 1 to automatically register lgvid.ax each time thief is started up
VideoFix=0

;This can be set to zero to get a more accurate z-buffer
;Doesn't usually make a noticable difference to picture quality
UseCompatibleZBuffer=0

;Turns on the 32 bit texture loader and adds support for some unsupported screen resolutions
;Will cause a crash if used with an unsupported exe
; 0 - Disable
; 1 - Determine exe automatically
; 2 - Thief 2 v1.18
Thief2Extensions=1

;Set to 1 to disable the windows keys while thief is running
DisableWindowsKey=1

;Set to 1 to enable anisotropic filtering
AnisotropicFiltering=1

;If you want to share overriden textures between thief installations, uncomment the next line
;It should contain the absolute path to the equivilent of \res\ddfix, including the trailing \
;TexturePath=C:\Games\Thief2\res\ddfix\

;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
;XX Compatibility settings XX
;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

;Changes the way direct writes to the frontbuffer are handled
;SS2 players should set these options to '2' and '0xf81f' respectively
;Thief 2 players with corrupted in game text should use '2' and '0x0000'
;Players who experience slowdown with UseSysMemOverlay=2 should set both options to 0
UseSysMemOverlay=2
OverlayColourKey=0xf81f

GmanPro
21st Mar 2009, 01:09
I've never noticed any fog in that level, although I've only played Thief 2 with my GeForce 8 series video card, so maybe there is some compatibility issue... I've seen the fog on the other levels though

ffox
21st Mar 2009, 15:38
I get good fog with my ATI setup. There may be a very thin mist between the warehouses (if there is it's so thin it's hard to tell) but there is definitely no fog on the seaward side.

Moonraker0
21st Mar 2009, 17:34
Ok...what levels DO have fog? I'm on Framed! now, and see none.

GmanPro
21st Mar 2009, 20:31
I remember fog distinctly in the level with the rooftops leading up to Angel Watch, and again on Markham's Isle.

R_Soul
21st Mar 2009, 22:28
It doesn't work properly in the rooftops mission. There are two missions with working fog. Markham's Isle has been mentioned, and there's another mansion mission. To say more would risk revealing spoilers ;)

Three (or two) missions might not sound like very many, but there's something to be said about not overdoing an effect like that.

Moonraker0
24th Mar 2009, 19:32
Does the mansion one with fog come before Angelwatch/rooftops? If so, I haven't seen fog.:hmm:

R_Soul
25th Mar 2009, 01:13
It's a few missions later.

Moonraker0
29th Mar 2009, 20:59
Ach, never got it. It was DDFix, apparently. I think that the fixed texture colors are more important than fog anyway, though both would be a nice thing.

Peter_Smith
1st Apr 2009, 02:04
I am coming into the middle of this, and I don't have time to study posts or research it.

As far as I know, Shipping and Receiving does not have fog, and Life of the Party does. As far as I know, the current version of DDFIX works nicely with fog when using Windows XP, but fog is broken with Vista. I have DDFIX version 1.3.8, and fog in LotP works fine for the most part. I think there are some gaps, but that is not DDFIX. Precious Cargo seems to be 100% OK.

Eugen1a
7th Nov 2010, 18:59
omg, i've never seen any 'fog' in Thief2TMA and in fun missions...for 10 years...i spend my life 4 noth1ng >.<
tnx for this.