PDA

View Full Version : Fan Game

K^2
20th Mar 2009, 07:31
I figure there might be enough people here who are bored enough waiting for DX3 info to make it work. I had some spare time in the past few days and started putting together an engine. I have the animation system ready, and the collision detection is in place. Physics is a bit shifty at this point. A bit like IW, but I'm working on it.

What I have in mind is a 2D side-view sprite-based game where keyboard is used to move about and mouse is used to aim. Game will feature dynamic lighting and line of sight checks for stealth. You'll only be able to see guards that are in your line of sight ("Invisible" areas will be grayed out, and you'll see only "static" objects there. Kind of like fog of war.), but same goes in reverse. The perspective limits kinds of levels you can sneak around in a bit, but with some clever level design it should work.

I'm still putting down a framework for health and inventory system, but I'm trying to stay close to the original. UI will probably be incorporated into the HUD, and you'd use the same pointer as you use for aiming and firing to interact with objects in the HUD.

In terms of the story, I thought that maybe it could be a speculation concerning things that happened to Paul just before and during the original DX. But I'm very open to suggestions. Weapons and augs should be mostly borrowed from DX, but a few new toys would be nice.

What I'd desperately need to put it all together is artists and writers. Music would be nice too. At some point, I'll be able to use help with scripting as well.

The engine is built for Windows OpenGL. I'd be happy to do a Linux port later or let someone else do it. Later option goes for OSX port as well.

If you want to help out with coding, writing, or artsy stuff, let me know. General comments and discussion in this thread are encouraged.

Ashpolt
20th Mar 2009, 10:01
I'd love to have a crack at writing. Are you looking for someone to come up with the whole story, or do you have a full plot set out and need someone to write the dialogue, or what?

Blade_hunter
20th Mar 2009, 10:39
interesting project :)
do you want level designers

As for weapons / augs, how much you want ? 10, 20, 30 for weapons and 20 augs ?

DXeXodus
20th Mar 2009, 11:11
I can offer help in terms of various "artsy" things. Photoshop stuff, etc. When the time comes, just ask and i will say whether i am able to do it or not.

:thumb:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Mar 2009, 11:14
Nice project! :cool:
Umm, I don't have any particular technical skills but if you need female voice characters perhaps I can help in this department? :o

jordan_a
20th Mar 2009, 12:43
I'm in as a level designer if you want. But keep in mind that if you are in charge and several people join the project, it's up to you to choose the team and its leads: quite a job. ;)

Spyhopping
20th Mar 2009, 13:18
I could perhaps help with the artsy side of things. Although I'm better on canvas, I'm not bad with photoshop/zbrush.

Or the same as myimmortal- if you ever are deficient in female voice actors I could give it a try...!

Ashpolt
20th Mar 2009, 13:38
Yeah, that's a good point - I'm happy to do voice acting if you need a middle class Englishman!

If you want me to write as well as voice act, I reserve the right to write extra lines for myself. :P

Spyhopping
20th Mar 2009, 13:50
Heh seems all the voice actor offers so far are all British :cool:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Mar 2009, 14:00
^
I'm not too bad at putting on an American accent. :D

AaronJ
20th Mar 2009, 14:08
Check your PMs.

Absentia
20th Mar 2009, 15:30
Great idea... I'd love to help out with music! It'd be great to emulate Alex Brandon's style

I myself have been pondering how Deus Ex could be turned into a point-and-click game - there were a lot of adventure game elements (which sorta went hand in hand with the idea of it being an RPG) in that game which could be explored

facepalm
20th Mar 2009, 15:38
Good luck with this, if you need an all-round graphics artist PM me.

DXeXodus
20th Mar 2009, 16:40
I'd love to see this get off the ground. Great concept K^2.

jamhaw
20th Mar 2009, 16:56
This seems really interesting I could do some writing or beta testing.

SemiAnonymous
20th Mar 2009, 17:24
Sure, I'll volunteer for some writing stuff. Just tell me what you need, and I'll see what I can think of. Do you already have a basic idea of what Paul is going to be doing, or is it pretty much at "This is Paul. I haven't got anything else yet"?

That reminds me, I need to talk to some people about other writing...

Ninjerk
20th Mar 2009, 18:25
Paul Denton Goes to Hong Kong! I might like to help write. I have some ideas about dialogue presentation but lack the technical aptitude to know whether it is viable or how to do it.

gamer0004
20th Mar 2009, 19:17
I might be able to do some mapping... And some writing and testing.

GmanPro
20th Mar 2009, 20:38
Well, sorry but with my other projects, the only thing I really have time for is maybe some testing. I could always offer up some constructive criticism too ...

Anyway, I hope this project works out for you :thumbsup:

FrankCSIS
20th Mar 2009, 22:08
You seem to have plentiful of writers already, but if you need an extra mind and ten digits for a bit of story-telling, let me know.

I'd offer to narrate, but I doubt you need this type of voice over ;)

El_Bel
20th Mar 2009, 22:38
Datacube writer here!!

I can do deep npc's too, but i dont like making protagonists. That way no one can bash me if i make them cheesy!!

Also i am in for playtesting!! I can make suggestions on level design, but i cant make a whole level. Just a few advices for things that level designers missed.

K^2
21st Mar 2009, 00:10
or is it pretty much at "This is Paul. I haven't got anything else yet"?
That's pretty much it. I am even flexible on the Paul part, if anyone has good ideas. The reason I think Paul would work is because we have a rough idea of what should be happening to him based on info we get in DX, but there are enough gaps to remain flexible.

Basically, I have no writing talent at all. I can read a book, and say, "this is a good one," but I can't write myself.

So maybe if you are interested in doing art or story, add me on MSN?
konstantinkh a/t hotmail d/0/t c0m (Just hiding it from spiders.)

We can talk about it, and once we have some idea where all this is going, we can set up teams, team leaders, etc.

In terms of level design, yes, I'd need a lot of help on that, but right now, all geometry is hard coded. I need to set up a file format for levels and put in an editor. I'll send you guys PMs when I have the tools ready. Thanks.

Voice acting. I haven't really thought about that one. I thought that for right now subtitles will do, but if there will be sufficient resources to put in voice acting, that'd be great.

Absentia, do you have a sample of your music? For this project, music would be just as critical as art and story.

In terms of augs and weapons, my initial thought is to replicate ones from DX, and see what can be added for balance. I have a spring break coming up, so that's what I'm going to be working on. Putting together a level editor and adding weapons and actors.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Mar 2009, 00:15
Voice acting. I haven't really thought about that one. I thought that for right now subtitles will do, but if there will be sufficient resources to put in voice acting, that'd be great.

Damn, that's spyhopping and I made redundant before we even got the chance to discover our hidden potential... :(

:D

Blade_hunter
21st Mar 2009, 00:33
Don't worry you will sing a song with an Omar voice :rasp:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Mar 2009, 00:38
Hehe, I can't wait! :D

K^2
21st Mar 2009, 00:48
Well, the thing about voice acting is that it should either be done right or not done at all. I wouldn't mind there being view unique voices, but each needs to have a very clean recording. I think I can get a recording studio to use (maybe even free, but cheap at any rate), but that'd be a specific location in US, so I'd need voice actors from this area. It might be easier for me to simply bug some professors over in Theater to see if they'd offer extra credit for doing volunteer voice work.

GmanPro
21st Mar 2009, 00:51
^^ Yep, the biggest thing is the quality of the mic. Professional voice actors will sound like crap recording on an xbox headset.

Mindmute
21st Mar 2009, 01:02
I'd love to volunteer for the writing. I've worked with a few Freelancer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_(video_game)) mods and total convertion projects in writing, brainstorming/dev administration and testing, but you seem to have your fair share of people for that already...

K^2
21st Mar 2009, 01:07
Add me on MSN. I'd like to speak to as many people as I can about writing.

jamhaw
21st Mar 2009, 01:18
Well, the thing about voice acting is that it should either be done right or not done at all. I wouldn't mind there being view unique voices, but each needs to have a very clean recording. I think I can get a recording studio to use (maybe even free, but cheap at any rate), but that'd be a specific location in US, so I'd need voice actors from this area. It might be easier for me to simply bug some professors over in Theater to see if they'd offer extra credit for doing volunteer voice work.

Personally I think that it's better to have bad voice acting than none at all although if the voice acting is particularily atrocious then we should probably the option to mute that, of course that should wait untill we are done. In regards to what we do in the game what do you think about the Templars? I've always assumed that they were destroyed in 51 or possibly even early 52 so Paul could be involved in that along with Manderly, and then there is the whole Daedaleas thing what did Paul say in regards to Daedaleas? Is it possible he met it in Mount Weather at some point? I think that would be an interesting place to visit. I think that a good place to start would be at Pauls graduation (or maybe just before when he is taking his final classes which can serve as a tutorial) perhaps he could meet J.C. in Switzerland it would be nice to expand on Paul's character in regards to his arrogance which I seem to racal being mentioned in the Continuity Bible. Finally what will this look like on your engine? Would it look like Fiend? http://frictionalgames.com/site/fiendmedia/

GmanPro
21st Mar 2009, 01:22
That could work. Though I was picturing something more like Codename Gordon

http://stopgame.ru/files/screenshots/7200/codename_gordon-14.jpg

jamhaw
21st Mar 2009, 01:25
That could work. Though I was picturing something more like Codename Gordon

http://stopgame.ru/files/screenshots/7200/codename_gordon-14.jpg

How would you do stealth with that?

K^2
21st Mar 2009, 01:40
Yes, Codename: Gordon is closer to what it is supposed to look like. In fact, I'd call it an influence on design. However, engine is not written in Flash. It is a stand-alone executable. The fact that I'm using OpenGL rather directly would let me do some interesting things with lighting. I can use the same technique for shadows that has been used in Doom3. Similar processing will be applied to point-of-view rendering. I might also put in some optional effects based on fragment programs, like heat shimmers, blurs, etc. I don't want to force them, because I want to keep minimum requirements light. Still, there is a lot of processing involved, with physics in particular, so don't expect a game that will run on on 10-year-old hardware.

How would you do stealth with that?
Multiple floors, air ducts, deep shadows, crates, thermoptic camo. 2D restricts stealth roughly equally regardless of whether it is a side-view or top-view.

Tracer Tong
21st Mar 2009, 09:11
K^2: As for making the code portable, if you're using OpenGL it's a great step towards it, but if you write it in pure C/C++ (no .net and stuff) you might as well use GLUT for window/input(keyboard/mouse) management. That way the code won't even need porting.

Offtopic: Has anyone noticed that while we started posting here about the same time, most of you passed the 1,000 post limit? Wow, I never thought there was so much to post in such short time. (I am of course disregarding the other Eidos forums :) )

ilya1234
21st Mar 2009, 11:16
I could help with the code. I'm good with C++ but haven't ever used OpenGL.

Also, if you need web development I could write client-side code or server-side in PHP/MySQL.

I could also draw but I'm more used to paper than digital graphics (I use Paint Shop Pro though if you're intending to transfer PSD files around).

(can I email you or do you only use MSN?)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Mar 2009, 16:56

Sure, no problems. :)

K^2
21st Mar 2009, 23:40
I could help with the code. I'm good with C++ but haven't ever used OpenGL.
The graphics code I can finish myself, anyways. I might be able to use some help when I'll be putting in code for weapons and augmentations.

And the e-mail associated with the MSN is pretty much a junk mail account. I almost never check it. If you want an address you can e-mail to, send me a PM.

K^2: As for making the code portable, if you're using OpenGL it's a great step towards it, but if you write it in pure C/C++ (no .net and stuff) you might as well use GLUT for window/input(keyboard/mouse) management. That way the code won't even need porting.
Well, the entire main.cpp needs to be re-written anyhow. And that's where the keyboard and mouse checks are done. It's just a few lines, so I don't see the point. Bigger question will be what to do with sound, when I get to it. Usually, I use Windows Multimedia library. But again, it's just a few calls to send the sound buffer to the audio device. I'll probably mix sources with my own code. Another alternative is to use OpenAL, but I never worked with it.

Blade_hunter
22nd Mar 2009, 00:06
For the level design do you allow the use of walls or even switches ?
Can we use crates to hide ourself

K^2
22nd Mar 2009, 00:29
You can hide behind a crate, but not inside the crate. The crate is the same type of object as any other geometry. It simply isn't pinned down, so you can move them, stack them, etc. Though, if there will be problems with stealth, I might add objects you can hide inside of.

I'm not sure what you mean by "use of walls". You can create collision geometry of any shape, and each object can be either fixed in one place or be allowed to move.

I haven't figured out yet how things like triggers and scripting will work. I don't want to use 3rd party scripting language, so I'll probably use one I wrote a while back for something completely different. It allows for on-event calls, so it should work here.

Blade_hunter
22nd Mar 2009, 00:56
I meant things like ladders on walls, switches on walls, or perhaps other things, I just want to know some possibilities to create a potential little level (A designed level of course)
Something possible with your game

VodunLoas
22nd Mar 2009, 02:34
This is interesting.

AaronJ
22nd Mar 2009, 02:37
This is interesting.

AquaShock's not dead?

VodunLoas
22nd Mar 2009, 02:40
AquaShock's not dead?

The name might be.

Azaell
22nd Mar 2009, 03:22
If you're looking to design Augmentations, I might be able to lend a hand. After all that is what I do for a living, well kinda. I've got a scientific background that might help add realism to the augs. Give me a shout if you're interested in my help. :)

K^2
22nd Mar 2009, 03:34
I meant things like ladders on walls, switches on walls, or perhaps other things, I just want to know some possibilities to create a potential little level (A designed level of course)
Something possible with your game
Ladders, certainly. I also want to have keypads and security consoles, but I don't yet know how that will work. I think switches will be easy enough to add once I figure these things out.

Blade_hunter
22nd Mar 2009, 21:07
Ok I prefer to wait for further informations i keep an eye on your game because I want to participate on it.