PDA

View Full Version : Differences between PC and console version (... please)

lumpi
10th Mar 2009, 15:08
So what are the differences between PC and console versions?

Every game I have ever played that showed up on multiple platforms felt like there was a "mother-platform" and all other versions were ports of different quality. Bioshock and Deus Ex 2 were console games. Deus Ex or Half-Life 2 were PC games. All got ported across, and to me, the original platform simply felt better than the port.

I know games are developed "cross platform" these days, but there is no question that the Orange Box is a PC-friendlier game and Halo always worked better on consoles.

So... is Deus Ex really going to be the "consolier" game we heard of? I almost feel like most of the previews so far were more PC-oriented, but I might be biased.

Anyway, what I'd love to see is an acknowledgment of the differences and strengths of both platforms:

The TV screen requires bigger and more powerful HUD, a simplified and comfortable inventory system as well as a narrower POV to avoid things looking too small.

The computer monitor makes everything look bigger, requires multiple resolutions and graphics tweaks but also provides an entire keyboard and mouse layout that should be used to its fullest.

Basically, I think there have to be two nearly completely different versions of the game interface.

What do you expect or want to see in Deus Ex regarding the platform of your choice?

K^2
10th Mar 2009, 15:19
Crystal Dynamics engine seems like the kind of thing that will feel itself more at home on a console, but it's not beyond repair in this regard.

I'm pretty sure we'd have to wait until we see HUD and some menu screenshots to really answer this one.

lumpi
10th Mar 2009, 15:22
see HUD and some menu screenshots to really answer this one.

Boy, yea, I'd love to see some of those. Would answer a lot of questions regarding the direction they're going with it.

K^2
10th Mar 2009, 15:41
I still pray for a customizable HUD.
If by customizable you mean changing colors, sure, maybe. You might even be able to change style of buttons. But if you mean real scriptable HUD, forget about it. Even if HUD internally runs on a script, it will be based on the same scripting language as the levels run on, and the odds of you getting tools for working with that are extremely low.

Blade_hunter
10th Mar 2009, 15:41
Can I pray with you ?

DXeXodus
10th Mar 2009, 17:24
Well at the moment the only platform spoken of by Eidos Montreal is the PC. So therefore I am hoping that the game will simply be ported to console after or near completion. By doing this the probability of a 'PC-esque' HUD and inventory is quite high I think.

WhatsHisFace
10th Mar 2009, 17:25
I think there are games that feel proper on a PC and a console. The Elder Scrolls series pulls it off nicely by refusing to compromise, for instance. Same goes for Rid****.

DXeXodus
10th Mar 2009, 18:07
I think the Elder Scrolls series did compromise however with Oblivion. The Inventory was very consolised and fell quite flat compared to the traditional inventory from Morrowind which was just plain awesome in my opinion. :)

Jerion
10th Mar 2009, 18:11
I think the Elder Scrolls series did compromise however with Oblivion. The Inventory was very consolised and fell quite flat compared to the traditional inventory from Morrowind which was just plain awesome in my opinion. :)

I'm gonna have to go with you on this one. I didn't really like the inventory in Oblivion.

WhatsHisFace
10th Mar 2009, 20:43
I thought Oblivion's inventory management was fine for the PC. It was basically like KotOR's. (Another successfully PC and console friendly title.)

gamer0004
10th Mar 2009, 20:47
I have never had to read the manual of Morrowind. I had to for Oblivion however, because I couldn't ditch anything from my inventory. Turned out you had to use shift+del or something, which they didn't tell you. And when I started playing again after half a year, I had to read it again. Because I had forgotten and couldn't find out.

AaronJ
10th Mar 2009, 21:27
This thread doesn't need to exist.

WhatsHisFace
10th Mar 2009, 21:30
I demand to know what your avatar is, AaronJ.

Blade_hunter
10th Mar 2009, 21:42
It's a protoss zealot I think

HouseOfPain
10th Mar 2009, 22:04
It's a protoss zealot I think

Come on guys, get in the "in" crowd. It's Zeratul; the Dark Templar! Sheesh! :rasp:

ChristianTroy
10th Mar 2009, 22:36
Developing with the PC as the lead platform won't make much of a difference. Even if they aren't using the console SDKs yet, they're still fully aware that they're going to. Expect everything to be designed with 256MB of RAM in mind, kind of like how Invisible War was designed with 64MB of RAM in mind.

And on an unrelated note, Oblivion absolutely compromised. Morrowind didn't, but Oblivion was filled to the brim with console-spawned issues.

Larington
10th Mar 2009, 23:19
The interface for oblivion, particularly with regards to the inventory, very much felt like concessions had been made for the limitations of a console controller. The core first/third person gameplay got away more or less unscathed though, though I still find the zoom on conversation NPC thing very annoying.

Romeo
11th Mar 2009, 01:07
I think there are games that feel proper on a PC and a console. The Elder Scrolls series pulls it off nicely by refusing to compromise, for instance. Same goes for Rid****.
Haha, I can't believe the filter didn't let that through. Will call it Riddeck instead. :D

I thought Oblivion's inventory management was fine for the PC. It was basically like KotOR's. (Another successfully PC and console friendly title.)
I liked it too, to be honest...

I'm gonna have to go with you on this one. I didn't really like the inventory in Oblivion.
...Although I hated Oblivion in almost every other regard, save for horses, combat and graphics. Gameplay and story wise though, it was a step-down from Morrowind, in my opinion. They made is so you could do everything early on, and in doing so, cut out too many features to me, most notable being a massive reduction in the number of skills...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th Mar 2009, 01:28
No matter what the game, I always favour my PC to console. I like my mouse and keyboard.
I have a PS2 and an XBox but my kids use those.... I just don't get on with consoles. :o

AaronJ
11th Mar 2009, 01:30
I demand to know what your avatar is, AaronJ.

A screenshot of Zeratul from a Starcraft II cinematic.

HouseOfPain
11th Mar 2009, 01:30
Haha, I can't believe the filter didn't let that through. Will call it Riddeck instead. :D

The Chronicles of Ridcock, Assault on Butcher Bay.

No but really Eidos, let us say Rid**** XD!

Romeo
11th Mar 2009, 01:31
How is that one allowed through? WHAT THE FUNK?!?!

WhatsHisFace
11th Mar 2009, 01:33
The Chronicles of Rid*****: Escape from Butcher Bay.

Charles ****ens is a prolific author.

K^2
11th Mar 2009, 01:54
Dick is a common enough name. I really don't understand why they insist on censoring it on just about every board. The least they could do is set up the filter to replace it with something like Richard. Yeah, you'll end up with something weird for Riddick, and Dickenson, but that's no less ridiculous than a rude-word-smiley in these.

ChristianTroy
11th Mar 2009, 01:57
Riddick. Go forth my children, and use what I have taught you.

EDIT: Oh ****, they blocked that too :(

K^2
11th Mar 2009, 02:01
You don't think I didn't try that, do you? But if you are happy with italic font, it works just fine.

Romeo
11th Mar 2009, 05:22
I did not know that... Can we swear all we want in italics? MUA HA HA HA HA!!! :whistle:

GmanPro
11th Mar 2009, 05:39
I did not know that... Can we swear all we want in italics? MUA HA HA HA HA!!! :whistle:
yay!

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/GmanPro/seriousmanclappingbn8.gif?t=1236750020

DXeXodus
11th Mar 2009, 12:02
And the pointless thread award goes to.... :rasp:

Come to think of it, I think we need to have thread awards sometime.

Necros
11th Mar 2009, 12:13
Ridd.ick

Just insert a dot in a "nasty" word, that usually works. :)

I think the inventory in Oblivion was fine, though I would've liked a bit more flexibility. With EM's focus on the PC platform, I hope we'll have that in DX3, and of course many options too. To customize the interface and other options too. I want as many options as possible. :cool: :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th Mar 2009, 12:45
And the pointless thread award goes to.... :rasp:

Come to think of it, I think we need to have thread awards sometime.

So, the Eidos cookie awards are coming back then? :eek:

Woooot! Yay! :cool: :D

DXeXodus
11th Mar 2009, 14:27
Has a good sound to it :)

So who is interested in the First Annual Deus Ex 3 Cookie awards then?