PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts

vjg1358
3rd Mar 2009, 19:12
Quick preface: I am new to the forum and apologize in advance for repeating what has already been said in other threads.

1. I am disturbed by any mention by Eidos about making content decisions based on the direction of the industry. When the developers of Deus Ex 1 were at work, I feel like the last thing on their minds was how they could adapt the game to meet industry standards. In fact, this indifference to the mainstream is what made the game so phenomenal. In fact, it literally invented a new genre. I think DX3 should be faithful to this invention.

2. The idea of regenerating health is silly. This system is made for games in which you are FORCED TO face the threat of attack constantly (halo). The developers of Deus Ex 1, by making health regen a biomod, were intelligent enough to realize that if an individual wished to go through the game with guns blazing, he could do so with the aid of the biomod. For the rest of us who depended on soy-based snacks, water fountains, and medpacks, this biomod slot could be used for stealth/technical purposes. Just another way Deus Ex left the choice to the gamer. It might also be interesting if the team took the path of MGS 3 and opened up the possibility of the user learning skills to manually heal himself with specific medical supplies/surgical techniques.

3. Ultimately what made DX 1 great was choice, but it is not that simple. The choice cannot be superficial; there must be philosophical and pragmatic consequence for every decision. In DX1 when JC is forced to choose whether to leave the hotel room or stay with Paul and fight UNACTO forces, I literally remember pausing the game and thinking about that decision for 5 minutes. In order to recreate this successfully, the development team must have a common philosophical thread that weaves through the whole plot, even if the connections are not readily apparent.

REMEMBER, the average IQ of the Deus Ex gamer is higher than that of your everyday halo/fifa gamer. DO NOT make the mistake of stuffing content down our throats! Be faithful to the hardcore fans, trust our intelligence, and success will come!

Thanks for reading

Larington
3rd Mar 2009, 19:35
The post is certainly better expressed than many of the ones I've seen. Sadly I fear that its a case of the cake already being in the oven, the mixture having been finalised some time ago.

At which point I feel I should insert an obligatory "There is no cake".

vjg1358
3rd Mar 2009, 20:18
I see... is the game due to release soon?

vjg1358
3rd Mar 2009, 20:33
I appreciate the comments. I don't play many games, but Deus Ex is a very important one to me and sometimes I just feel like storming into Eidos Montreal to make sure they don't screw this one up. Barring that, I suppose this forum will have to do... Unfortunately, it looks like I am too late.

jamhaw
3rd Mar 2009, 20:41
I see... is the game due to release soon?

They're saying sometime this year. (But I'm not sure who is saying it I may have dreamt it) I think that it way to soon considering the general lack of information that we have been given though. Welcome to the Forums! :)

WhatsHisFace
3rd Mar 2009, 20:45
They're saying sometime this year. (But I'm not sure who is saying it I may have dreamt it) I think that it way to soon considering the general lack of information that we have been given though. Welcome to the Forums! :)

They said the game would have a two-year development cycle (after proof of concept passes), so that just about ensures the game will be due for release this year.

vjg1358
3rd Mar 2009, 20:45
Thanks, I just wanted to add one more thing to my initial post:

Another factor that made DX1 great was the insurmountable attention to detail. One of the best parts about the Paris missions was reading all of the books lying around in the apartments. The same applies to the data pads throughout the game. It was all indicative of a team truly dedicated to the world of DX.

jamhaw
3rd Mar 2009, 20:47
Thanks, I just wanted to add one more thing to my initial post:

Another factor that made DX1 great was the insurmountable attention to detail. One of the best parts about the Paris missions was reading all of the books lying around in the apartments. The same applies to the data pads throughout the game. It was all indicative of a team truly dedicated to the world of DX.

I was disapointed in IW that they seemed to scale that back. I was hoping for even longer possibly even illustrated books.

SemiAnonymous
3rd Mar 2009, 22:44
it is possible we haven't heard any info in a while because someone got the brilliant idea to remove the stupid ideas (regen, mainly) and more or less change what we know, but thats likely a pipe dream.

a really, really nice pipe dream

Ashpolt
3rd Mar 2009, 23:03
Welcome to the forums, vjg1358! Your sentiments are definitely shared by a lot of people here - in fact, my first post was virtually the same as yours, albeit more verbose because I don't know when to shut up.

But yes, welcome!

I was disapointed in IW that they seemed to scale that back. I was hoping for even longer possibly even illustrated books.

I also dislike the literature in Invisible War because it pauses the game and takes you to a "reading" screen. It really breaks the flow of the game, unlike in DX1 where you just had text boxes pop up on screen which disappeared once you moved your view.

it is possible we haven't heard any info in a while because someone got the brilliant idea to remove the stupid ideas (regen, mainly) and more or less change what we know, but thats likely a pipe dream.

a really, really nice pipe dream

That would be wonderful beyond belief. Even if they just got rid of regenerating health, I'd be a lot happier. Sadly, I would bet my last pound against that happening. The team have little care for those of us who aren't happy with the changes they're making.

Bio Denton
3rd Mar 2009, 23:23
Until the beta release, 90% of the discussions on this forum are speculation, apart from the depressing fact of regeneration.

K^2
3rd Mar 2009, 23:27
Sadly I fear that its a case of the cake already being in the oven
You mean the bun, right?

gamer0004
4th Mar 2009, 16:34
*Post*

Great post... But beware, the more you hear about this game the worse it gets.

Have you seen the very original and most-definately-not-bioshock-ripoff,-just-because-that-game-sold-well,-renaissance style yet?

vjg1358
7th Mar 2009, 02:12
Renaissance style?

vjg1358
7th Mar 2009, 02:17
I had not see that before... and now I am thinking that it was probably better that way...

Is this deus ex or final fantasy?

AaronJ
7th Mar 2009, 02:30
It's Cyber Renaissance, a middle-ground between Steampunk and Cyberpunk. You can't call that Bioshock, it's a new sci-fi sub-genre. Accept that this style is what the Deus Ex world looked like outside the slums visited in the first game.

HouseOfPain
7th Mar 2009, 02:38
Amazing post, OP.

I share your thoughts on the game, but sadly I believe the ship has sailed.