PDA

View Full Version : The Difference Between Augmentations and Power-Ups/Perks

AaronJ
2nd Mar 2009, 14:22
Augmentation:

Speed Enhancement - You will move faster and jump higher.

Power-Up/Perk:

Multi-Kill - Kill 3-4 people.

Augmentation:

Aggressive Defense System - Explosive projectiles will be sensed and detonated at a radius that is upgraded each level.

Power-Up/Perk:

Claymore - Emit explosives from your body. (While I enjoyed the drones in Invisible War, they were a lot more subtle than "mass shrapnel death")

This isn't meant to be a second Great Flame War. I want intelligent discussion here.

AaronJ
7th Mar 2009, 00:57
I'm going to bump my own thread here, because this is something we haven't talked about yet. And we're running out of things to talk about, to the point where we discuss walls.

lumpi
7th Mar 2009, 01:14
I don't get it... how do all those augs/power-ups/perks relate to each other?

AaronJ
7th Mar 2009, 02:47
I don't get it... how do all those augs/power-ups/perks relate to each other?

I'm comparing them.

Blade_hunter
7th Mar 2009, 03:15
Hum the problem stay in the relation between each ones but what is perks, It seems I see something like that in bioshock :scratch:
Because power ups it's something like the oldish FPS that give us a temporary bonus like the Berserk from doom or the U damage from UT or the invulnerability from quake.

In deus ex 3 the true new thing we got in therms of mods it's the weapons like the blade on the arm or the gun, those ones were suggested a time before.

I don't know if we can get more informations about that, but somethings are cool IMO.

The multi kill seems a bit strange but how we can use it and is it a melee ability or something :scratch: and the claymore I don't know what it can be but if you have some informations I think we can get a "more exhaustive" though and we can do a comparison, because some powers can't be compared with DX because DX uses a rare amount of weapons, we have more mods that acts like activate power ups.

The speed enhancement acts like a speed power up mixed with the jump boots from Blood / Unreal 1
The Cloak is approximatively the same thing as the invisiblity in FPS except it was for one kind of creatures
The ballistic protection acts like a temporary armor that filters the damage taken
The regeneration was like a temporary health regen though
The aqualung upgrades temporary the time we can stay underwater without take some oxygen
The EMP shield protects us against energy weapons

I really think there is no real difference between each except in the roleplay though, In Deus Ex many Items got their equivalent in biomods.
It's just they got a little difference only

the only difference between DX 1 and 3 it was an increased number of weapons in the augmentations, In DX 1 the only weapon we got it was the drone and eventually the Agressive defense system
In DX 2 we got the biotox drone and eventually the bot domination.

And remember it was a people suggestion many people desired to be the primary weapon in the game, and the explosives can be a flash grenade though that can help us in certain situations ...

I prefer to get more informations even if the Multikill seems to be the sort of martial art move or something ...

Romeo
7th Mar 2009, 07:57
Isn't the difference in bio-electricity vs one-time-use? Augs feed off the body's power, Perks are used one time and lost after?

K^2
7th Mar 2009, 08:05
Isn't the difference in bio-electricity vs one-time-use? Augs feed off the body's power, Perks are used one time and lost after?
I'd say that powerup is something that is used one. Perk is a passive ability that doesn't get used up and does not use up resources.

mad_red
7th Mar 2009, 12:32
Aaron - do you mean something like: Powerups give you a straightforward benefit and can be slightly overpowered, while having that same power in an aug ruins the variety and balance?

Either way, I think that's a design consideration. Having a multi-kill aug sounds a bit, well, uninspired to say the least. But we'll have to wait and see the real aug.

I'd much rather have an aug which has a less immediately apparent use, but I suppose they put it in for FPS playstyles.

Absentia
7th Mar 2009, 16:36
Augmentations are generally things that modify and improve (well that's pretty much what the verb "augment" means anyway) in mostly a subtle way, with the exception of the Spy Drone which actually added a new feature. A power-up or a perk is a new function, that serves mostly as an unrealistic gimmick.

An augmentation like strength or speed can be applied to many different situations, and their exact implementation in the game world is mostly up to the player. This means the player has a degree of freedom in regards to how he uses the aug.

Something like "multi-kill" has a specific purpose, and probably an even more specific method of execution (You could watch the same animation over and over again of Adam beating up people) and hence has less freedom in its usage and has more of a gimmicky kind of quality to it.

Regardless, I don't know if AaronJ is trying to differentiate them in such an analytical manner or rather just pointing out how effing ridiculous those DX3 'augs' are.

AaronJ
7th Mar 2009, 17:43
I'm saying that the concept is completely different. Killing four people isn't an aug.

Blade_hunter
7th Mar 2009, 17:49
Are you certain it kills people ? or it can kill people ?
And how it works do you have a description of the multikill and even other things if you have I think it's good to show us somethings because without that we can establish only rumors and nothing in relation with the game.

Please give informations

AaronJ
7th Mar 2009, 17:52
Are you certain it kills people ? or it can kill people ?
And how it works do you have a description of the multikill and even other things if you have I think it's good to show us somethings because without that we can establish only rumors and nothing in relation with the game.

Please give informations

I'm not sure where you're from, but your English is always poor in your posts, sometimes to the extent where they're just intelligible.

I'll interpret your post as a crack at how little we know about this game. But that defense only goes so far. I can take "there will be an aug in Deus Ex 3 called Multi-Kill, it makes you kill 3-4 people" and respond to that with "What the hell, that isn't an aug, that's a cart racing bonus". And that's what I did.

Absentia
7th Mar 2009, 18:07
I'm not sure where you're from, but your English is always poor in your posts, sometimes to the extent where they're just intelligible.

I'll interpret your post as a crack at how little we know about this game. But that defense only goes so far. I can take "there will be an aug in Deus Ex 3 called Multi-Kill, it makes you kill 3-4 people" and respond to that with "What the hell, that isn't an aug, that's a cart racing bonus". And that's what I did.

I think you meant to say "unintelligible" ;)

Agreed, I think we have the right to criticize all we want, even if we have only been given a limited amount of info, or if the info is ambiguous. I don't like that people are boycotting the entire game already, but we shouldn't have to always consider limited info as a reason not to judge the game. It is EM's responsibility to manage what information they give out, and then leave the public to interpret it.

gamer0004
7th Mar 2009, 18:10
I understand what you're trying to say.

The DX3 "augs" are more like special abilities or skills like the ones in MMORPGs rathe than actual augmentations to the body, which you then can use the way you want to. The Speed aug just makes you run faster. That in itself doesn't help you. It's in how you use it (jumping on a certain roof, sprinting past a guard etc.) that gives you an advantage.
"Instantly counterattack any enemy that strikes you in melee for 12 sec. Melee attacks made from behind cannot be counterattacked. A maximum of 20 attacks will cause retaliation." That idea.

Blade_hunter
7th Mar 2009, 18:13
Eh I'm not English and I said that many times, English is far to be my first language.

I'd just ask for a more detailed description nothing more
I read your post and yes kill 3 - 4 people seems to be an arcade bonus as you said.

I'm not sure they would make an aug that kill instantly every people without using our player skills, this will remove all kind of challenge ....

AaronJ
7th Mar 2009, 19:45
I think you meant to say "unintelligible" ;)

Lol, massive irony.

Agreed, I think we have the right to criticize all we want, even if we have only been given a limited amount of info, or if the info is ambiguous. I don't like that people are boycotting the entire game already, but we shouldn't have to always consider limited info as a reason not to judge the game. It is EM's responsibility to manage what information they give out, and then leave the public to interpret it.

That's not what we're talking about here. My response was not anything big picture.