PDA

View Full Version : Thief Gold with Vista...Game Crash

Captain_Blackblade
21st Feb 2009, 03:34
I've looked around a few places, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of support for Thief Gold and Vista (Even the 'Thief 1 on Modern Computers' thread is meant for XP). Here's my problem:

I got the game installed just fine; all I had to do was open the CD and run Setup.exe in Windows 98 compatibility. I installed the full version of the game without issue, and tried to run the game. The game runs fine, not the greatest look, but it is a 10-year-old game, so I'm not complaining.

I hit my problem when I try to start anything in the game. I went to New Game, watched the intro cutscene for beginning the Training section, and clicked Continue to start the training session. The game seems to have a seizure, randomly flickering back to my desktop and to a black screen for a few seconds, then it finally settles on a black screen and nothing happens. I go to Task Manager, and it says that Thief is not responding.

What do I need to do to run this game with Vista? Oh, and as a side note, the aforementioned thread said that NVIDIA video cards don't work so well...and luckily, I don't have one; it's a Radeon 1650x.

Vlad Midnight
22nd Feb 2009, 05:34
Sounds like you have a dual core system and the other processor is freezing thief up.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=76532
The ugly graphics can be fixed with DDfix, its not hard to do. Just run it and answer the "questions"

Captain_Blackblade
24th Feb 2009, 02:52
Are you certain it's a dual core issue? Because my game always runs, by default, on one processor and not both.

Peter_Smith
24th Feb 2009, 03:58
Thief (any version) should not run by default on one processor unless there is something strange with Vista that I am not aware of (I use XP). What makes you think it is one by default?

I suggest the following tests. Start Thief but stay at the menu and do not enter the game graphics. Go into the Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL then select Task Manager) and look at the Performance tab. Of you see two CPU graphs and only one core / CPU pegged with significant activity (it may read 50%) while Thief is the only application is running, it is running on one core. If you see two (or more) cores sharing the CPU, it is on two or more. Also go into the processes tab and right click on thief.exe to see how the affinity is set. You can set it here to CPU 0 to test what happens when it is really on one core. Again in the processes tab, tell us what CPU % thief.exe is running. Please report back with the results, and check the sticky thread for how to make it run on one core / CPU permanently, if that is it.

shadowuser82
28th Mar 2009, 17:02
ignore the set affinity...I'm still using only one computer on my dual processor, and it's going to blank screen. I've done everything suggested, on all of the links, bt it's still giving me black screen of death. Task manager says it's not responding...suggestions?