PDA

View Full Version : How did you find/fall in love with Deus Ex?

itsalladream
16th Feb 2009, 00:47
I know all of us bought IW because we loved the original, and most of us will by DX3 for the same reason, but what brought you and the glory of Deus Ex together for the first time?

In my case, I was a senior in high school, and the grandfather of the girl I was dating at the time bought a new laptop from Best Buy, and was given the GOTY Edition for free, so he gave it to me. Needless to say my relationship with the game lasted longer than the girl. :o

PugPug
16th Feb 2009, 04:36
I'm pretty sure I was looking for a new game to play, hit up the review sites, and it sounded like the game for me.

FrankCSIS
16th Feb 2009, 05:46
Huge fan of adventure games, especially investigations and conspiracy ones, very abundant in the 90's. Was shopping for games, as usual almost every week, took one look at the box and I was sold.

Like movie trailers, I've never been fooled or wrong about a box. This one certainly didn't disappoint.

pewbeng
16th Feb 2009, 07:21
IIRC, I was in France on vacation at the time, the weather sucked so I hit a newspaper store, picked the next gaming magazine (JC on the cover - very, very ugly picture).

I didn't understand much but they were hyping that game so ruthlessly I had to check the demo out back home. Must've played that one hundreds of times. Mainly because of all the fun I've had with the console :D I remember reading names of characters mentioned in magazine previews and then trying to add them in the demo via console.

When the retail game hit the shelves I went to 15 stores or so to get ahold of the game. 15 stores because it was 18+ and I was ~14 at the time. Thought to myself I had to find one store that didn't give a damn sooner or later, and - later - I did.

+Recently, while replaying Deus Ex after a few years, I had a chuckle when the first thing I did after starting the game was to enter "set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled True" at 10-finger-lightspeed without even thinking about it. That is one command I'll never get out of my head. :)

Sabretooth1
16th Feb 2009, 08:41
When I was a wee lad of 9, I used to try out video game demos off of a local computer magazine that used to kick total ass once. I wasn't interested in Deus Ex when I first saw the screenshots, it looked like some weird medical sim or something. :p And when I did try it, I dismissed it as too dark (as you can guess, I wasn't bright enough to look for the Brightness control. :p )

About a year (or was it half) later, I tried the demo again, now more worldly-wise in first person shooters and such. This time I tweaked the brightness and such and played the Training and thought it was pretty good, very realistic-ish (I used to love SWAT 3 at the time, so I could die for anything that's realistic).

And I finished the demo and it was brilliant. What I especially loved was figuring out the back-entry to Liberty Island on my very first try. I thought 'what would happen if...' and it worked so beautifully, I knew this was an awesome game. I tried the second level download Eidos gave for the demo and absolutely adored the second level as well.

Bought DX shortly and after finishing it at least two dozen times now, I can safely say that it is my all-time favourite video game. :)

Mezmerizer
16th Feb 2009, 08:56
I used to buy PC magazines every month when I was younger, and of course every time, I installed the game that was with the magazine and played it.
When I installed Deus ex, I thought that it was some **** game because of the graphics and it was difficult for me to understand the story. (also i played wow that time). 3 years later (much more mature) I started it again and i fell in love.

Jerion
16th Feb 2009, 09:03
I used to buy PC magazines every month when I was younger, and of course every time, I installed the game that was with the magazine and played it.
When I installed Deus ex, I thought that it was some **** game because of the graphics and it was difficult for me to understand the story. (also i played wow that time). 3 years later (much more mature) I started it again and i fell in love.

That pretty much justifies not understanding the story or graphics. :D

Just putting that out there.

canine
16th Feb 2009, 09:52
I heard from the media that this game is one of the best. When it was time to upgrade my computer, I chose the soundcard package that came with the game for free (a soundblaster Live).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Feb 2009, 11:10
If I remember correctly, it was my bf that first introduced me to Deus Ex.
I was probably playing the Thief games and fan missions at the time as that was my earliest game obsession.
Needless to say, DX took hold of me as soon as I fired it up, hehe... I never looked back since and I've played it 3 times.
Even though DX:IW was not such a good game compared to the original, I still enjoyed playing it on its own merits.

Bio Denton
16th Feb 2009, 11:46
I chose the soundcard package that came with the game for free (a soundblaster Live).That's exactly how I found Deus Ex. If I had not been bored one day and had not decided to randomally install this obsure looking game, I would have missed out on gaming history.

Even though DX:IW was not such a good game compared to the original, I still enjoyed playing it on its own merits.That is a slight understatement if ever I read one. A more accurate description would be that Eidos did what it always does; finds an independant gaming company with a successful game, buys it up, has the company (Ion Storm) produce a sequel, then forces the game out before it has had enough development time but because of it's previous success, pull in the cash, then watch that company fold in on itself like a badly made soufflé. Eidos destroyed Ion Storm for profit in my opinion.

I hold absolutely no hope for Deus Ex III, not because I expect it to be useless but because I don't want to get my hopes up and find it to be the same <expletive> that was the catastrophe of it's predecessor.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Feb 2009, 12:04
That is a slight understatement if ever I read one.
Understatement it may be, yes. But this is a light-hearted thread and any rants should really go elsewhere. Thank you. :)

Bio Denton
16th Feb 2009, 12:20
Well sorry if this is the wrong thread for such a comment but I find it rediculous that Eidos are milking this game series once again.

ilweran
16th Feb 2009, 13:27
Back when DX first came out I didn't play first person games - I barely played 3d games at all, ever since I first saw Wolfenstein 3D I thought it was a horrible new-fangled idea that would never catch on.

Then I met my boyfriend, and I watched him play through Half-Life, DX, System Shock 2, but still didn't play them myself.

Eventually DX:IW came out and we bought it on xbox and when he was about half way through it I started playing it and ended up finishing it before him. Then I went and played the original on PC. Then I played DX:IW again. Then I bought the PS2 version of DX and played that.

(Then I started System Shock 2 but was too scared of it to get very far :eek:)

Now I'm playing DX again and when finished will also replay DX:IW - on PC as we now have a PC that will run it and you can buy it for £2.

A more accurate description would be that Eidos did what it always does; finds an independant gaming company with a successful game, buys it up, has the company (Ion Storm) produce a sequel, then forces the game out before it has had enough development time but because of it's previous success, pull in the cash, then watch that company fold in on itself like a badly made soufflé.

DX was published by Eidos though so whatever happened afterwards, they already had a relationship with Ion Storm.

Sabretooth1
16th Feb 2009, 13:39
A more accurate description would be that Eidos did what it always does; finds an independant gaming company with a successful game, buys it up, has the company (Ion Storm) produce a sequel, then forces the game out before it has had enough development time but because of it's previous success, pull in the cash, then watch that company fold in on itself like a badly made soufflé. Eidos destroyed Ion Storm for profit in my opinion.
Sorry professor, but my calculations tell me that Ion Storm had a six-game deal with Eidos right when they were founded by the legendary John Romero. As the infamous tale goes, Daikatana was patiently given ages for development and ended up a failure of epic proportions, followed by Anachronox (which nobody ever heard of), followed by the Smith/Spector-led team doing Deus Ex.

So nope, Eidos isn't the evil supervillain in this story. :p

Ashpolt
16th Feb 2009, 15:41
^^ But Anachronox was awesome!

I first picked up Deus Ex in about 2002, because when it initially came out I didn't have a gaming PC. I installed it on my dad's PC, and I really couldn't get into it very much - I played the Liberty Island and Castle Clinton, then got bored and moved onto something more immediate. A while later, a friend of mine encouraged me to pick it up again, and together we played through up to Hong Kong. I can't remember why, but I stopped playing again here, and that was were I left it for about a year.

So flash forward a year, I'm in my first year at uni and I decide to pick it up again (possibly in anticipation of the then-upcoming Invisible War, I'm not sure.) Nightmare though - my old saves are corrupted, and crash about 4-5 seconds after I load them. So I started the game again, and this time through, everything clicked into place, and it became for me the classic I'd heard it was.

And now I'm playing it through again, and it's even better than ever. Why can't people make games this good any more?

I notice a lot of people here seem to love System Shock 2 as well. Like Deus Ex, I've tried to get into that a number of times because the setting is perfect for me, but I just can't find the enthusiasm to keep playing after the start. I'll keep trying it every now and again though, and hopefully one of these days it'll "click" like Deus Ex did! (I also have the same thing with Morrowind, but I'm not so fussed about that.)

3nails4you
16th Feb 2009, 16:39
Me and my dad had started to get into PC games around 1998 when Half-Life came out. That was the first game I REALLY loved for PC. I was around 8 years old then. From there, we got System Shock 2. Then around 2000, my dad was in MediaPlay, I think, and saw the game and thought it looked good. We both started playing it together and I never stopped :D

ilweran
16th Feb 2009, 17:04
I notice a lot of people here seem to love System Shock 2 as well.

It's a fantastic game and I've not found anything scarier yet. I did start on SS1 a while back, which is also great but the controls are difficult to get the hang of.

I made a DX theme for my phone, including ringtone, but my text message alert is Shodan :D

Jerion
16th Feb 2009, 17:15
You made a DX ringtone? Would you like to share it? :)

WildcatPhoenix
16th Feb 2009, 17:58
Deus Ex was actually one of two games that the cover art managed to intrigue me enough to purchase (along with Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries). I knew absolutely nothing about the game when I bought it back in 2000. I'm ashamed to admit that a lot of my thinking was along the lines of "oh cool, this looks like The Matrix," lol! :lmao:

If not for that impulsive purchase, I too would've missed out on my favorite game of all time.

-Wildcat

3nails4you
16th Feb 2009, 20:23
You made a DX ringtone? Would you like to share it? :)

If you go to www.phonezoo.com, you can get ringtones free of charge sent by picture message with a sound file attachment (at least that's how it works with my phone). You can create a ringtone with an mp3 or find one someone else has made. I also have a DX ringtone, it's my default :D

ilweran
16th Feb 2009, 21:45
You can create a ringtone with an mp3

I just used an mp3, and some music editing software called Cool Edit. At the moment I'm using 'Paris Cathedral Conversation' just because it was a convenient length. I did try part of the main theme but it was too quiet for me to hear when my phone is in my bag. I may try upping the levels sometime, or try a different track.

I have a System Shock theme & ringtone as well :D I have yet to meet anyone who recognises either and get strange looks in work if my phone rings.

Jerion
16th Feb 2009, 21:49
:) I'll look into a DX theme ringtone. At the moment I'm using a Mirror's Edge ringtone (What can I say, I like the theme :p ).

Bio Denton
16th Feb 2009, 22:11
Sorry professor, but my calculations tell me that Ion Storm had a six-game deal with Eidos right when they were founded by the legendary John Romero. As the infamous tale goes, Daikatana was patiently given ages for development and ended up a failure of epic proportions, followed by Anachronox (which nobody ever heard of), followed by the Smith/Spector-led team doing Deus Ex.

So nope, Eidos isn't the evil supervillain in this story. :pEidos took a majority share of Ion Storm when development times ran too long.

itsalladream
16th Feb 2009, 23:29
I made a DX theme for my phone,
Ooooh, DX ringtones...me like, me like.

Me and my dad had started to get into PC games around 1998 when Half-Life came out.
I got into video games around Wolfenstein 3D. My dad and I played Doom together.

Actually, when I was given The Game, I had no idea what it was.

FrankCSIS
17th Feb 2009, 00:14
"oh cool, this looks like The Matrix,"

Hey, looking at the box I first thought it looked like X Files. Man I loved that show growing up. Simpsons at 8:00 and X Files at 9:00 on Sunday night was the best damn prime time tv ever.

In retrospect I wish they had done an X Files game half as good as this when both the show and the adventure games were at their peak.

pug826
17th Feb 2009, 00:29
it was by accident for me. every so often, i go to ebay and type in "computer game" and then make it so it shows "price + shipping lowest" first. then there's always games starting at 1 penny with free shipping. well i saw probably 10 games like this, all from the same seller, so i bid up to $1.00 on each one. i won 4 of those auction, and Deus Ex was one of them. along with a tomb raider game, and some other games. i got DX for only 32 cents with free shipping. it got to my house, and for some reason i decided to play that one first.

ever since, i have been a die hard fan, and it's my favorite game ever.

AaronJ
17th Feb 2009, 01:31
I bought the DX preview edition on a pack of games. The others were Quake II, some Tomb Raider game and Shadow Force Razor Unit. I was 10, and I was immediately hooked. Started hosting my server a little while later.

spm1138
17th Feb 2009, 02:14
Ah... the PC mag I read was very excited about it. I think it was whichever Kieron Gillen used to write for although I guess everyone knew it was going to be great.

Then the demo came out and it was awesome. Mind blowing, even.

It's only gotten better as time has gone by and I've gotten to understand more of what they were on about. I honestly can't think of many games that managed that trick.

edit
and don't try and blame IW on the publisher. It represents some quite conscious developer decisions.

IH-Denton
17th Feb 2009, 11:16
It was in 2000. One of my friends gave it to me with another awesome game - Red Alert 2, which I had waited more than any shooter. But I decided to see Deus Ex first. I played it two times since i got it on RivaTNT64 32Mb videocard in a little window 640*480 and low graphic settings! When I upgraded my computer in 2002 and run DX on highest settings it was kind of god's revelation... And many years of gaming and modding DX was wating for me then.

Tracer Tong
17th Feb 2009, 14:27
Is it weird that I don't know how I got Deus Ex? :nut:

I don't even have the box, just the game case and the game CD.
It's not the GOTY edition, it's the original one, though I simply don't remember how I got it at the first place (more games in this category: Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal, Battlezone(great game))

I dunno, I guess I just went game-shopping and bought a game each half a year or so.

"oh cool, this looks like The Matrix,"

This also brings back semi-forgotten memories.

Mezmerizer
17th Feb 2009, 14:31
That pretty much justifies not understanding the story or graphics. :D

Just putting that out there.

lol nice :rasp:
Its ok i was 15 at that time and i was like 'Ugh what are this?'

VelvetCyberpunk
20th Feb 2009, 06:34
I'm sorry if this gets to be a long story, but here goes...

I am old enough that I started out playing Pong. I then got an Atari 2600, and then went on to own the NES. After that I never really bought game systems mostly because they took up too much of my time. My friend Tricia would play computer games and the games that seemed the most fun were the FPSs, but they kind of intimidated me. Then in 2002 I finally got my own computer (I had been satisfied using my university's computer lab until then), and decided that I wanted to try a computer game. I went to Best Buy and asked if there was a good cyberpunk type game that he could recommend. He handed me Deus Ex and said that his buddy had told him that it was really good. I looked at the back of the box and it looked really cool, and it was the GoTY edition, and it was only 20 dollars so I thought why not?

I took it home, installed it, and started a game. I walked off of the dock and was killed immediately. I did this several times, got frustrated and quit. A couple of months later I was bored out of my mind and decided to give it another try. I was determined to get through the first objective, and finally I did it. I was so excited that I continued until I finished the game about three weeks later. I've been addicted ever since. I think I've played it about 60+ times since I've gotten it and I never get tired of it. It is my favorite game of all time.

WhatsHisFace
20th Feb 2009, 14:35
A friend was moving on to Counter-Strike and gave me his copy, recommending to me because "You can kill children!!!" I had heard of Deus Ex before that (mainly from NVidia advertisements), but didn't know anything about what it was. It had a really cool art style, so I installed it.

The game was nothing like I was expecting it to be. That's not good or bad, it just felt really fresh. Each step of the way learning something new about the game... it was really cool.

I got hooked on this game when I began playing as a stealthy sleuth.

jdzero
21st Feb 2009, 20:54
I have a VHS recording of Warren Spector giving a preview/interview with Gamespot TV (before it was X-Play; on ZDTV, before it become TechTV, and then meshed with G4, as all good things seem to come to an end), and as I watched it I became very intrigued by it. I, afterward, went to the PDX site and began watching the development of it, but not exceptionally closely. I talked about it with friends, but it wound up being a gift from them instead. So I can't say I directly bought it, but I talked about it enough that a friend thought it'd be a cool gift to give me.

And I wholeheartedly agree.

JCD
21st Feb 2009, 21:33
It was a demo...and it was from PC Gamer as I can remember...

I immediately recognised the Unreal Engine but soon, I have forgotten everything about the graphics tweaks I could make (there were a LOT back then)...the game STUNNED me.

In fact, the years 98-99 changed my whole PC gaming life - Half-Life, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, just incredible.

What I loved most about Deus Ex in the beginning was the freedom of act - I had played the demo sooo many times...

But then, when I discovered the plot and the conspiracies...the first game (as I can recall) to boldly speak about the world banking control system, the corrupt goverments, etc., was simply "breathtaking".

I love this game - I really believe it is THE best game ever, it makes you think, gives you food for thought, it's not only a "break" from reality...

WizzBall
21st Feb 2009, 21:51
Back in 2001, I got my first cable connection and discovered 'lightning fast' browsing and downloading... while browsing on Gamespot I noticed this odd game, described as an unusual and satisfying experience.

That sounded great to me so I went on eBay and got a used copy for $10 and that was it for me. I played it many, many times since then and still do to this day :).

Necros
7th Mar 2009, 10:21
About a year before the game's release I saw a short article about it in a gaming magazine's E3 section. They had a few cool pictures and the article got my attention because the game sounded to be something I've never played before. But then I haven't heard from it for some time, so I've kind of forgotten about the game.
Then next year I saw that the same magazine had a review and a demo inside, so as soon as I got home I read the review and it praised the game to be even more than I hoped for. Next was the demo and I loved it, I must have replayed it at least 20-30 times before I got the full game (well, it's Hungary, so not everything is avalaible on day 1) and I never got tired of it. The rest is history, Deus Ex has been my #1 favourite game ever since. :cool: A few others came somewhat close but not close enough. :)

Capital_G
9th Mar 2009, 17:32
I was looking for random games to download using Grab-it (torrrent) when I saw it. I didn't know what it was. I remember getting bored after 10 minutes of play. Then 20 minutes later, I couldn't stop playing anymore.

HouseOfPain
9th Mar 2009, 17:52
My cousin, 18 at the time while I was around, I believe.. 11 or 12.

His house was always close to mine, his house was like a second home for me. I would often watch him play videogames in his room as that was seemingly his passion. Final Fantasy, Starcraft.. you name it, he played it back then.

Then one day I knocked on his door and went in, he was on the computer and he was starting up Deus Ex, I heard the music for the first time and was instantly connected. I sat down and watched him play it for the next two hours.

After those two hours, he asked, "Would you like to play multiplayer? I'll burn a disk for you."

He had two computers, his and the one outside his room for the family. I said yes and that's when it started.

He'd always kick my ass but I would win sometimes by planting the LAMs on the walls XD.. it was the most fun I had ever had. I took home the burned copy and played it all the way to the end.

Granted I never understood fully the story and philosophy at age 12, but after constantly re-playing it to this day (I'm 16 now) I believe I understand ever aspect of the game.

:thumb: That's it in a nutshell.

maikkeey
10th Mar 2009, 14:43
About 5-6 years ago my friend and I were looking at cheap games in the virgin store and we decided to get the 3 games for $10 deal....looked about a bit and saw Deus Ex, read the back and had to have it!
Took it home and found out that it was by far the best $3.33 I'd ever spent!
I struggled through the first level exploring as much as I could and then soon realised the genius of the game, so I kept playing and loved every minute of it, I've played it about 6-7 times since then and only recently downloaded the Shifter mod and I'm half way through playing it with that now :D

itsalladream
10th Mar 2009, 23:08
Yeah, I'm playing through with the shifter mod for the first time. However, a few days ago, when I quicksaved, the game crashed and corrupted my save. I still haven't looked to see how far back my last save was.

only one Deus ex
11th Mar 2009, 09:42
I played the demo, and hated it.. was just too hard and complicated..

But then a few months later (2 i think) I found a patch to the demo, the 2nd level was available. So I for some reason started playing it again fiercly to get to the second level. I ended up forcing my sister to buy the full game to me as a christmas presant (I was 13 and not allowed to play it since it was 15 >_<)