PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Keir

ThtsWhtSheSd16
12th Feb 2009, 16:07
Hey, I just have two quick questions for Keir (or one of the other admins).

1. With the news that Square Enix has made a bid to acquire Eidos, should we be concerned that the game might not be released at all?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=aCo9xIhnuQ2U&refer=uk

The article mentions that Eidos has it slated for release this year, but it doesn't say if Square would still release it.

2. If the answer to the first question is that yes, it still will be released regardless, you mentioned before the latest trailer came out that a podcast would be posted in the next couple of weeks. Do we have a more definitive date for that yet?

Kai Rei
12th Feb 2009, 16:50
I should think they'd still release it, because if they didn't, they'd be giving themselve's a bad rep by letting so many Batman fan's down. Then again, this is me assuming that Square Enix is a brand new company. *doesn't have time to read article*.

Zsasz
12th Feb 2009, 16:53
I should think they'd still release it, because if they didn't, they'd be giving themselve's a bad rep by letting so many Batman fan's down. Then again, this is me assuming that Square Enix is a brand new company. *doesn't have time to read article*.

I wouldn't ask this again unless you want to be accosted by several thousand Final Fantasy fan boys. Yes, Square Enix is the company that brought us the wonderful game Final Fantasy, home of emo kids with tight trousers and big swords trying to save the world.

CrashxUae
12th Feb 2009, 17:15
But maby they will not have time to batman arkham asylum ...:scratch:

ThtsWhtSheSd16
12th Feb 2009, 17:45
Well the article does state that Square Enix is attempting to diversify their portfolio of licenses, so one would assume that they would still release it, but I was just hoping for some more concrete confirmation.

Also, I don't know if they would need to work out a new agreement with Rocksteady Studios or if the same agreement they currently have with Eidos would stay in place.

I also think it's in Warner Bros best interest to release the game regardless of who's producing it, since they'd want to keep Batman fresh in fans minds after the huge success of TDK. That and I think a lot of fans would revolt if it were cancelled now.

Not to get too technical for people who don't care, but I would also like to hear when the merger would potentially close - I suppose it might not be consummated until after the release date (whenever that might be).

ryukoken69
12th Feb 2009, 19:51
The question would be, Would Square throw out a game that should be in the test/debug phase? I mean givin the fact that to mass produce the game it would need to go gold a month prior to the release date. Thats in May if I am not mistaken, which means the game MUST be just about done other then the polishing and play testing/debugging. If SE did scrap the project the 1-3 years the games been being made would be nothing but wasted money.

ThtsWhtSheSd16
12th Feb 2009, 21:36
You make a good point Ryu; I guess I'm just paranoid that Square will either determine a) that the game will not be profitable (which I think would be horribly misguided) or b) they decide to go back to Rocksteady and tell them ways they want to tweak it (more RPG elements, more anime-ish, etc.) which I think would be poor decisions based on how the game is looking so far.

Again, I think it's just my paranoia combined with my high expectations for the game. So really, if they want to put out that podcast now and alleviate my fears, that would be great.

HystericFreak
13th Feb 2009, 01:27
They'll definately release it, especially if they buy the company; they get profit out of a game that Eidos have spent their money on, so they'd be pretty foolish not to release it. When EA bought Bioware they were in the middle of making Mass Effect, and that was still released.

It'd be bad buisness to stop the game now, especially after all this time. I'm thinking that this buyout is more of an attempt fo Square to just get more cash, I don't think they'll really put their fingers in Eidos too much. Least I hope not, I dislike companies that eat others whole. =(

I am, on a slightly unrelated note, looking forward to FF13. It just looks.. pretty.

harveysburntside
13th Feb 2009, 01:32
^^ If you're waiting for FF13, you're gonna be waiting for a while.
And Sqware has more than enough money and power than to worry what a bunch of us Batman fanboys('n girlz) think. That being said, I think we're plenty close enough not to fear a cancellation.

batdude
18th Feb 2009, 11:05
I know it's been said, but I want it official, can I kick the crap (Try to) out of Bane in this game. Somebody just tell me if Hush will be in it, although I can't see why he'd be in the asylum.

Keir
18th Feb 2009, 11:38
Heya,

I'll prefix this by underlining the fact that we're in an offer period at the moment so there isn't much I can say.

Hey, I just have two quick questions for Keir (or one of the other admins).

1. With the news that Square Enix has made a bid to acquire Eidos, should we be concerned that the game might not be released at all?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=aCo9xIhnuQ2U&refer=uk

The article mentions that Eidos has it slated for release this year, but it doesn't say if Square would still release it.

2. If the answer to the first question is that yes, it still will be released regardless, you mentioned before the latest trailer came out that a podcast would be posted in the next couple of weeks. Do we have a more definitive date for that yet?

1. I think one of things that makes Eidos an attractive proposition to a company like Square is its exciting portfolio of top IP and forthcoming releases. Batman: Arkham Asylum is certainly near the top of that list, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about that, at all.

2. The dev team have been super busy as you'd expect, MyColdman (who will be your host for the podcast due to his inability to not talk) has also been illing so circumstances have conspired against us - I'll catch up on the date for the first recording shortly, but it won't be long now.

Hope that helps :thumbsup: