PDA

View Full Version : Skills: Lets go beyond Hacking and Prowling.

Sushi...Scientist
11th Feb 2009, 11:59
While the first Deus Ex certainly had it's fair share of skills to choose from, the selection present within action/adventure and rpg particularily the stealth department need to be looked at for innovation. I'd like to propose something more advanced like Sattellite Imagery Analysis. Using pda or cybernetic augmentation Adam could call in spy sattellite photos of the zone he's in and optionally if he becomes more proficient then the player can discover written details on the image file he completes. Alternatively he might get thermal or nightvision images. An example application in Deus Ex would have been seeing if Smuggler did escape from the MJ12 troops or if they had his body in a bag at the hideout, or seeing if a helipad zone is clear to enter on foot. Maybe even the player could aquire sat. images from other countries like Hong Kong while in New York for example. Now that's an rpg.

WhatsHisFace
11th Feb 2009, 16:43
While the first Deus Ex certainly had it's fair share of skills to choose from, the selection present within action/adventure and rpg particularily the stealth department need to be looked at for innovation. I'd like to propose something more advanced like Sattellite Imagery Analysis. Using pda or cybernetic augmentation Adam could call in spy sattellite photos of the zone he's in and optionally if he becomes more proficient then the player can discover written details on the image file he completes. Alternatively he might get thermal or nightvision images. An example application in Deus Ex would have been seeing if Smuggler did escape from the MJ12 troops or if they had his body in a bag at the hideout, or seeing if a helipad zone is clear to enter on foot. Maybe even the player could aquire sat. images from other countries like Hong Kong while in New York for example. Now that's an rpg.

Sounds more like a job for Alex Jacobson than Adam Jensen.

Adam probably doesn't have control of satellites, being as he's a security guard on a vendetta, rather than a federal agent on a top-priority mission.

That concept sounds like something that would really work in an open-world game like STALKER though.

GmanPro
11th Feb 2009, 17:36
Cool ideas I suppose. I've always enjoyed the stealth aspect of DX, and anything that adds options (without making these options compulsory) is a plus in my book. I'm usually a fan of adding more impact on the skill system with regards to things like aiming and shooting, but for whatever reason, I really dislike the Oblivion style of stealth and I much rather prefer a 100% user controllable stealth experience. I guess its because it was so similar to Thief, which is one of my favorite series evar.

Only thing I can think of is maybe it shouldn't so much be a freeby aug type of thing but more like that one situation in DX1 where that guy in Hong Kong wanted to sell you those blueprints for Versa Life. Adds a little bit more interactivity and resource management etc...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Mar 2009, 17:07
Matters of hacking and stealth are important to me. I hope in DX3, both will be a challenging experience. :cool:

As for your proposals/ideas, I don't see why not. Adam works for a very important company, so who knows what kind of high-tech apparatus he has access to.

a house
11th Mar 2009, 13:00
The igromania.ru article mentions something about an MGS-style augmentation that informs you about the location and FOV of enemies. I assume since they hire expert consultants on technology this could be something like Gunther's X-ray sattelite link.

gamer0004
12th Mar 2009, 20:06
The igromania.ru article mentions something about an MGS-style augmentation that informs you about the location and FOV of enemies. I assume since they hire expert consultants on technology this could be something like Gunther's X-ray sattelite link.

I hope you understand those two have nothing to do with each other...

Jerion
12th Mar 2009, 20:22
Cool thread. :)

I hope you understand those two have nothing to do with each other...

Yeah, I'm not really sure how he made that connection either. :scratch: I mean, I can kinda see where he's coming from, but the two aren't related.

It'd be nice to see that swimming skill come in handy for a change. :D I honestly can't think of any time it was useful in DX 1, outside of (maybe) the airfield. If we really are going to have large, sprawling environments, then maybe we could grab blueprints for a city water system or something. Anyone up for a swim into the secure underground facility?

a house
12th Mar 2009, 21:07
Yes... I meant it will be explained properly, unlike the original DX augmentations.

Anyone up for a swim into the secure underground facility?
So much for 'secure', eh?

mad_red
13th Mar 2009, 02:57
Wouldn't it be neat to have some of the technology from this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86812), and this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86812) incorporated into dx3, or any game for that matter?

I'm not talking about the gamer using them as the interface, but about the gameworld featuring widespread use of those technologies.

Specifically the "WUW/sixth sense" tool seems pretty easy to incorporate into the game as a built in aug. You could take pictures/movies, etc, create all kinds of projections for all kinds purposes - to use as an interface, to distract, for show and tell, etc.

In a sequel, you could combine that stuff with holographic projection and the mind-interface tech. Of course, by the time a sequel comes out we'll have all of that in our living rooms :cool: