PDA

View Full Version : Open World Gotham

The_scarr3d_Knight
2nd Feb 2009, 04:56
A Batman fan since I was 5 years old, yet, everytime a videogame tries to enter the Batman universe, i've been disappointed.

Your game looks really promising, great graphics, great voices, great gameplay, and a whole plot we are all waiting to unfold.
But what is doing justice to one of (if not) the best super hero ever created?
Gotham city, the cradle for the wayne family and the day that marked forever the live of Bruce, as well as one of the most heavy and psycologically affected rogue galleries is just a character on its own.
Just take for example, Fallout 3. It Is Huge. The wasteland is a place where you can simply forget about everything, and just explore, full with side-quests and mini quests that make you decide just what to do next.
Imagine a timeless Gotham, where any normal day begins as you select a suit and head into Wayne Enterprises to do some R&D on new gadgets o vehicles, then as the night falls, you go to the batcave, and select a Batsuit from your available suits (or create one), equip it with the gadgets you want, and hear the police frequency for any robbery that's happening, and glide to it, or take the Batmobile and cruise through the city to reach the scene of the crime to stop the criminals, where, if you arrive late, have to collect evidence or clues that may point you to the criminals. Imagine a whole city that you can know discover and explore, where each action you take in the game, turns the story into Giving you the reputation of a hero, loved and approved by the citizens and the police, or turning you into an outlaw vigilante that answers to no one and is highly wanted by G.C.P.D.

Imagine cruising the streets in the Batmobile, flying in the batplane, even going underwater... Gotham is as big as the people who make games want to make it, and I would really love a gotham that I could choose what to do and how to do it. Fighting hand to hand against the best villains, repairing your suit, diving and gliding from the tallest skyscrapers, really putting you inside the cape and the cowl.

Wouldn't that be the way I would like to play into the Bat's shoes? Yes.
wouldn't that be making justice to the Bat? I think so.
Wouldn't that be the greatest and most complex video game ever created, giving the player total control over choices, missions, equipment, and, even allies? I think so.

what do you think?

Stealthguy1986
2nd Feb 2009, 05:45
Some of the points u have mentiond there is really promising my friend. For the furure, I would love to see something like that for the Batman franchise.

Dark Walker
2nd Feb 2009, 06:36
For the future that sounds like it could be a fantastic game.

I think the only downside to that idea is that Batman already has a set in stone personality so I don't think a Fallout type game would be best for him, unless there's a reason for him to act differently (such as in Web Of Shadows Spiderman could still be influenced by the symbiote so he could act darker).

Games like Fallout and Knights of the Old Republic has you making a brand new character so there's the flexibility to play how you like. In my opinion an offline version of DC Universe or a Gotham based RPG might be best for that.

Aside from that little nit pick the rest of that could be great if done right (properly developed, good controls and with no or minimal bugs).

jondoe297
2nd Feb 2009, 17:57
See, now that's a game I would play... Just being able to patrol Gotham in that way would be cool. Looking for informants around the city to get an idea whose doing what, and involved with crimes to help solve the current case. Uploadable content each month to give the player new mysteries and adventures to deal with.

Would be great, I just hope the DCU online give you that ability on some level.

The_scarr3d_Knight
3rd Feb 2009, 08:13
I mentioned fallout 3 to give you the Idea of the batman game I would enjoy, a game full of choices, freedom to explore any way you want it and not havilng to confine your game to specific places, that's why I called it open world gotham :thumb:

dingo131
5th Feb 2009, 02:52
but, as it has been said, batmans morals and personality have been set in stone for 70 years now. it will be a little hard to change him. but it would still be a real fun game.

HystericFreak
5th Feb 2009, 06:55
Yeah, that's the trick with this sort of game; it can't really be an RPG since the character is definately solid. A lot of us would do things differently than him given the chance, but the point of Bats is that he does what he does, and in an uncompromising fashion.

I think that a lot of us will get our involved, open world Gotham experience in DCU Online; I hope they look after it and make it pretty and fun.

lilcapono2195
5th Feb 2009, 17:45
That game would be worth a million dollars. That would be the best video game ever. Somebody seriously does need to create a game like that. It would be amazing and somebody should turn that idea in and see if they'll make it. haha

Vitter
10th Feb 2009, 19:33
i think that seeing and playing a game like GTA4 made me realize that they can already do it, i´ve always dreamed about an open world gotham, those types of games always had difficulty to give you great missions and withouth being repetitive, the ONLY ones were Rockstar´s GTA, maybe someday they can make a batman game, even using the same engine! hahah anyways this rocksteady game looks that it´s coming really well, im waiting for it, i mean it´s batman, and the game at least looks fantastic.

ryukoken69
10th Feb 2009, 20:39
A Batman fan since I was 5 years old, yet, everytime a videogame tries to enter the Batman universe, i've been disappointed.

Your game looks really promising, great graphics, great voices, great gameplay, and a whole plot we are all waiting to unfold.
Gotham city, the cradle for the wayne family and the day that marked forever the live of Bruce, as well as one of the most heavy and psycologically affected rogue galleries is just a character on its own.
Just take for example, Fallout 3. It Is Huge. The wasteland is a place where you can simply forget about everything, and just explore, full with side-quests and mini quests that make you decide just what to do next.
Imagine a timeless Gotham, where any normal day begins as you select a suit and head into Wayne Enterprises to do some R&D on new gadgets o vehicles, then as the night falls, you go to the batcave, and select a Batsuit from your available suits (or create one), equip it with the gadgets you want, and hear the police frequency for any robbery that's happening, and glide to it, or take the Batmobile and cruise through the city to reach the scene of the crime to stop the criminals, where, if you arrive late, have to collect evidence or clues that may point you to the criminals. Imagine a whole city that you can know discover and explore, where each action you take in the game, turns the story into Giving you the reputation of a hero, loved and approved by the citizens and the police, or turning you into an outlaw vigilante that answers to no one and is highly wanted by G.C.P.D.

Imagine cruising the streets in the Batmobile, flying in the batplane, even going underwater... Gotham is as big as the people who make games want to make it, and I would really love a gotham that I could choose what to do and how to do it. Fighting hand to hand against the best villains, repairing your suit, diving and gliding from the tallest skyscrapers, really putting you inside the cape and the cowl.

Wouldn't that be the greatest and most complex video game ever created, giving the player total control over choices, missions, equipment, and, even allies? I think so.

what do you think?
:thumb: That would be totally and completely FRELLING EPIC!!!!!!

quandon
10th Feb 2009, 21:22
love the game ideas and i would love to see a game like you just mentioned if it was made with love and tender care. lol.

My idea for an ideal batman game is sort of like how Arkham Asylum looks except i would like the gameplay to be more resident evil style - the original survival horror kind, very similar to resident evil 1 remake on the gamescube;where complex puzzles, detective aspects and story is the soul of the game with actually very little combat. The combat and bosses you do face, however, would be refined and memorable experiences.

This would fit in perfectly with a game based on the batman graphic novel arkham asylum; a serious house on serious earth, as it shows batman as being truly terrified of himself with menacing themes and truly physchotic villians. I think a truly dark game like this would keep the player on edge and constantly scared of what was lurking around the corner with bloody handprints and scratches on the walls ect.

thewrongvine
13th Feb 2009, 02:22
Of course, in theory everyone wants that. People say it as if it's so easy. Yet most games end up not having those... awesome features. :)

I guess games that are close to being very open are games like Fable I/II, Fallout III. Mostly ORPG's are the most open. Possibly Assassin's Creed and Grand Theft Auto. :D

laned0gg
13th Feb 2009, 06:37
Love the idea of this. Making this game wouldn't mean batman's morals would have to change, we as the players would just have to decide when to pick our battles." One man or the entire mob, he can wait" that's what you would need to do in a game like this. If they could get graphics that are as promising as AA. then this might be the best batman game that we could ever hope for.Nice post.

ashtros
21st Feb 2009, 10:34
I would love an open world Batman too, however other superhero games have done this. The two that come to mind is Spider-Man (Spider-Man 2 and 3) and Superman (Superman Returns). Both do a lot of things right, for Spider-Man the web swinging and combat are great, And for Superman the flying and super powers were done excellently. The biggest down fall of these games is the repetitive crime fighting. All the crimes are pretty much the same and after a few hours it gets boring. The only way to combat that is having the story. Now Spider-Man works well enough due to the plot of the movies... However Superman Returns... Well lets face it. The story to that game SUCKED!!!!!!!!!! The only reason I keep the demo on my XBox is to fly around Metropolis. But I digress... I fear that a Batman themed game of this fashion would fall prey to the same repetitive crime fighting. If they can find a way around that then I'm game.

door noob
22nd Feb 2009, 06:42
I would love an open world Batman too, however other superhero games have done this. The two that come to mind is Spider-Man (Spider-Man 2 and 3) and Superman (Superman Returns). Both do a lot of things right, for Spider-Man the web swinging and combat are great, And for Superman the flying and super powers were done excellently. The biggest down fall of these games is the repetitive crime fighting. All the crimes are pretty much the same and after a few hours it gets boring. The only way to combat that is having the story. Now Spider-Man works well enough due to the plot of the movies... However Superman Returns... Well lets face it. The story to that game SUCKED!!!!!!!!!! The only reason I keep the demo on my XBox is to fly around Metropolis. But I digress... I fear that a Batman themed game of this fashion would fall prey to the same repetitive crime fighting. If they can find a way around that then I'm game.

it wouldn't be as hard of a challenge to find a way aournd this. People who would be dedicated in making this kind of batman themed game(if ever) would at least find 25+(more than to keep you entertained for a while) diffirent crime fighting situations around the streets. i.e.

1. Use the envoirnment to take down the opponents.
2. Use diffirent combinations of moves and gadgets to take down an opponent.
3. Use stealth...
4. Use just gadgets...
5. Use a diffirents combination of fighting moves...
6. Use fear...
7. Use allies (if any in game) for aided manuvers...
8. Use the batmobile to take down a vehicle than fight the victims...
9. (this will be odd) verbaly influencing or negotiating
10. mix em' up
And to know in what situation you are in the style of the thugs could represent this i.e. #regualr thugs telling each other scary stories to each other while you over hear them on the roof tops and then you would use fear to take them down...comment...

*and the story for superman returns game indeed SUCKED!

The Sparrow
4th Mar 2009, 00:16

what do you think?

That would make an awesome video game, or better yet, that idea (only with a few changes) turned into an online RPG!!!!!!

You should send your idea into those big, money hungry corperations and pitch it to them!!!!!!!!!! If you don't, I will 'cause then way you described a video game for gotham city is flipping awesome!!!!1:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The Sparrow
4th Mar 2009, 00:25
Oh, to Door Noob.

My dad (he works with those big CAT scam computers) says there certain ways to program a program that allows a computer a certain level of randomness. Like, just develope a hurdred different emotions/reactions, and be able to put like five into a bad guy (example: robs bank; would kill to survive; fear; aggression; dumb.). Then just make it so the system randomly processes five different emotions/reactions and puts them into a bad guy. Viola! You have an almots different situation every time.:thumb:

The Jedi Guardian
4th Mar 2009, 02:28
This would be very awesome. It could be a combination of Batman Begins, Spiderman 2 and Spiderman Web of Shadows (combat in air, ground, except the wall)

Another way can be to play as Bruce Wayne. In the day time you could also get clues by going to a certain place (ex. batman animated series- leather wings- he goes to the scientists with the recording of the man-bat shriek. He makes up an excuse for many of these kind of things.)

As a story you can be a young Batman and the game can span over ten to twenty years. During this time there will be many subplots rather than a major story. You can become experienced by time and in battle situations. You can experience the death of robin's parents (wouldn't let me put in his first name), meetings between the Commisioner, train robin and batgirl (by playing as them in the training) partner with Nightwing, give money to charity, explore the wayne estate, go out under different disquises, choose costumes, equip utility belt (gas mask, grapple, batarangs-explosive, tool, with rope, batnoculars, flashlight, detective kit, antidote, freeze spray (for clayface), sedative, hand cuffs, and etc), play other sidekicks like the lego games where you can tag people, use batman's actual abilities, photographic memory, read lips, csi, etc; that reminds me that they should make an ultimate Batman Animated Series game (different from this) that can also lead into the batman beyond.

I think there should be lots of exits from the batcave through tunnels. Many kinds of batsuits especially in colors-exosuit; regular blue, black and grey; black and grey; all black; sonic suit, Batcave could be like Nolan's with a lot more walkways like Tim Burton's and many exits. There should be many other secret places other than the Batcave to rest, repair, replenish, or to hide.
Some of these secret places can be in Wayne Enterprises or Industries.

Gotham- subways, underground tunnels, batcave, ground, bay, skies. Streets, urban, rural, alleys, dead ends, subway platforms, trains, helicopters, rooftops, skyscrapers, police headquarters, any realistic thing that can be in a city. Houses, work places, restaurants, hotels. People- there can be many thugs and people in poverty, ruined buildings, hideouts key to batman's rouge gallery (carnival, zoo, abandoned arkham, clock tower)

Gameplay can be very broad and not just resorting only to hand to hand combat like most spiderman and batman games, Door Noob and The Sparrow mentioned a few things on this. Physics, havok, reaction to fear, some smart and dumb AI, many kinds of different reactions, as elaborate as to left handed villains, boxers, scientists, etc.

Music: This is a hard topic. Danny Elfman's score was pretty good, I watched the movie but I played Lego Batman, and the music really fitted the game. It was used appropriately. When I watched the movie again, the music seemed like it worked better with the game especially Joker's Theme to me didn't work well with the movie version (it sounded like he was a kid, which is why it worked so well in Lego Batman) . I like the combination of Danny Elfman's theme and the new theme from Shirley Walker used in Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. It could work. Batman Returns- was different, but it was okay. Batman Begins and The Dark knight could work only with the action themes. Jokers theme in "The Batman" was cool. When it all boils down, I think Hans Zimmer's action and brooding music works well for Batman.

My idea + everyone elses idea = SUCCESS. :thumb:

CapeandCowl
4th Mar 2009, 19:20
I think what you said in the post is a great idea i would love to play a game like that. i've been a batman freak since i can remember.i too have been disappointed at past batman games. i just can't wait to see how this game is

The Jedi Guardian
5th Mar 2009, 00:27
All of the ideas on this page are great, I hope somenone can take these ideas. If they do they do take at least a year and a half. Take all the time they need.

aceoknaves
5th Mar 2009, 00:37
love the game ideas and i would love to see a game like you just mentioned if it was made with love and tender care. lol.

My idea for an ideal batman game is sort of like how Arkham Asylum looks except i would like the gameplay to be more resident evil style - the original survival horror kind, very similar to resident evil 1 remake on the gamescube;where complex puzzles, detective aspects and story is the soul of the game with actually very little combat. The combat and bosses you do face, however, would be refined and memorable experiences.

This would fit in perfectly with a game based on the batman graphic novel arkham asylum; a serious house on serious earth, as it shows batman as being truly terrified of himself with menacing themes and truly physchotic villians. I think a truly dark game like this would keep the player on edge and constantly scared of what was lurking around the corner with bloody handprints and scratches on the walls ect.

A game like this would be truly amazing! That is my dream Batman game too! I think this may be sort of the route they are going for with AA, except with some Bioshock thrown in. If I recall, I think RE4 was one of their influences, so hopefully.

The Sparrow
5th Mar 2009, 02:23
The music for the game would be really tough in my opinion. It would be cool if they got the music from mission impossible, indiana jones, terminator, and other popular action movies. They should also make up a theme song that is for the game ONLY, like how indiana jones and mission impossible have their own them songs.

This video would be really big. It would need at least 1.5 GB to 2.5 GB, even 3 GB of hardrive space. This would be easier to do as an online game, and you could even create metropolis or other DC cities. Imagine, not only could you play as batman, but superman, robin, wonder woman. Or, you could play as the bad guys and plan heists, go undercover and gather useful information, break out other bad guys from arkham or blackgate, fight the dark night, exc...

This would be an awesome game.

The Sparrow
5th Mar 2009, 02:59
I spent like 30 minutes on this, but it all works out with the up-to-date computer systems' capabilities (and I'm not talking supercomputers!!!)

The Batman game, a rough plan:

The game starts out by showing some scene of either Bruce Wayne starting to go through his Batman routine (get in costume, patrol city, fight bad guys) or with the origins of Batman, and Batman is just remembering them as he begins his caped crusade. He is then faced with a serious problem, and that is when you start game play. You are Bruce Wayne first, and you do some research on the things you will need on tonight’s crusade. You deal with unhappy business men, contract international deals, find a new date for tomorrow’s party, explore Gotham city for the most part, exc.

Now you get in costume. You deal with the serious problem over a three or four day basis, and a day cycle is probably 15 to 25 minutes, the daytime being 5 to 10 minutes, the nighttime being 10 to 15minutes. Along the way, you gain experience, a gallery of criminals, Batsuits, unique weapons, a Batplane, Batboat, Batcycle, exc. You deal with various criminals, and all of the original ones of course.

Each criminal (or gang of criminals) requires a different approach. When you deal with a pickpocket, just knock him out. When you deal with the Joker, you got to use a lot more. The same thing happens when you play as Bruce Wayne. If you have an unhappy executive, you have to use a different approach then you would use with a cheerful CEO.

A list of playable characters could be either unlocked or just depends on what side you choose. If you are on the Hero side, you can play as Batman, Robin, Alfred, Catwoman, Nightwing, and others. If possible, you could be on the Villain side, and play as Batman’s main foes. That extends the playability of the game (I love the word playability!) and makes it even more fun. One minute you’re Batman, the next minute he Riddler, and the next minute you’re Batman again!

Team-ups would also be a great. Batman and Catwoman, the Joker and the Penguin, and even maybe including Superman and other characters once in a while. And why not stop there? Be able to customize the Batsuit and the Batmobile, and choose what weapons you should carry with you tonight. Choose Bruce Wayne’s business suit, decide which Ferrari he should drive today, and taste which shrimp should be served at the party Bruce is hosting tonight!

Let me know what you think please!!!:D

The Jedi Guardian
5th Mar 2009, 03:39
Nice, but would you prefer a single player who can swap in the teammates or two players?

Another problem can be the time issue. That would be so hard. Maybe when you enter the passage through the bookcase or the clock, that is where you determine what time of day it will be. Enter the passage, it skips to the evening or very early morning. And if you don't enter the passage it will turn dark and you will be going to a night mission as Bruce Wayne to a ball or party.

So I think the best way can be to choose what you will do during the night. A day (24 hrs) should be like at most 30 minutes.

Other Allies could be nice, especially when Bruce Wayne isn't available. They should have other skills or similar attacks to Batman with their own style. They should also have there own special gadgets like Nightwing's flight and sticks, (even tho we have borrowed the memory cloth abilitiy from the Nolan Universe)

The Jedi Guardian
5th Mar 2009, 03:49
I wish Shirley Walker was still alive. She could have worked with Hans Zimmer (they did in Batman Mask of the Phantasm, He played the synthesizer)

Hans Zimmer and Danny Elfman could work well. James Newton Howard can be used for the music when Bruce Wayne is up and early before the evening, but they probably won't be able to do this considering they are already asked for other movies.

door noob
5th Mar 2009, 15:09
Oh, to Door Noob.

My dad (he works with those big CAT scam computers) says there certain ways to program a program that allows a computer a certain level of randomness. Like, just develope a hurdred different emotions/reactions, and be able to put like five into a bad guy (example: robs bank; would kill to survive; fear; aggression; dumb.). Then just make it so the system randomly processes five different emotions/reactions and puts them into a bad guy. Viola! You have an almots different situation every time.:thumb:

that is really cool nevr thought computers like that even existed

The Jedi Guardian
5th Mar 2009, 15:43
Hopefully they can incorporate that into many games. That would make a big long list of emotions, reactions, and characteristics

The Sparrow
9th Mar 2009, 22:34
Nice, but would you prefer a single player who can swap in the teammates or two players?

Another problem can be the time issue. That would be so hard. Maybe when you enter the passage through the bookcase or the clock, that is where you determine what time of day it will be. Enter the passage, it skips to the evening or very early morning. And if you don't enter the passage it will turn dark and you will be going to a night mission as Bruce Wayne to a ball or party.

So I think the best way can be to choose what you will do during the night. A day (24 hrs) should be like at most 30 minutes.

Other Allies could be nice, especially when Bruce Wayne isn't available. They should have other skills or similar attacks to Batman with their own style. They should also have there own special gadgets like Nightwing's flight and sticks, (even tho we have borrowed the memory cloth abilitiy from the Nolan Universe)

I see your point. I never thought about the night/day thing long enough, so I guess I made the mistake. Again, good point.

Termix
10th Mar 2009, 13:52
Nice idea, but this sounds exactly like GTA, sure a GTA in the Batman universe would be cool, but I think it wouldn't work.
Well maybe some developers can find a way to make such a game, but Batman CAN'T kill people, he CAN'T steal a car, he CAN'T make friends (maybe as Bruce Wayne). Batman is a hero, he is never free in his decisions, so i prefer games like this, even though a Batcave and SOME driving would be awsome.

door noob
10th Mar 2009, 14:35
the light and day problem could be resolved this way.
anybody play ultimate spiderman, well there you are ither in dark or light atmosphere until you change your costume or character.

thus in batman you will be surrounded by daylight unitil you select an option of changing into the batsuit from the wardrobe or whatever like in a dark ally back of car, etc.
anyway when you change into the batsuit you could have a meter on your screen with the time of the day and could see the clock progressing into night time.

or just simply have night and day 30min - 1 hour long and/or changethe time in your options.

A funny game easter egg IMO would be if you change into the batman outfit and go into sunlight you would see steam couming out of your suit, thus you would be burning like dracula, but not really loose any health.

door noob
10th Mar 2009, 14:42
Or you couls make each night contain a mission( a long one) and be night time until you complete this mision and a gala or ball for the daytime and not become night until you attend that event and then you will be able to resume your duties as batman. You the player do not have to attend those missions for as long as you want resulting in a continuation of day or night for that period.

*note this system is capable of holding up until you beat the game.

door noob
10th Mar 2009, 14:49
Nice idea, but this sounds exactly like GTA, sure a GTA in the Batman universe would be cool, but I think it wouldn't work.
Well maybe some developers can find a way to make such a game, but Batman CAN'T kill people, he CAN'T steal a car, he CAN'T make friends (maybe as Bruce Wayne). Batman is a hero, he is never free in his decisions, so i prefer games like this, even though a Batcave and SOME driving would be awsome.

Ofcourse he can't do thing like that, you would be equiped with your own vehicles, and why would you want to kill people in a batman game (unless you pick your path as a corupt batman or go in arcade mode in the city and do whatever you want whenever with no misions and no restrictions, you would be able to steal a car there, couse arcade mode is for fun purposes only). And his decisions could be configured i.e. "stay here and rescue people from burning building, or go after the joker before he releases a toxin on the city" and you will have a headline in the news paper like"Batman defeated joke and prevented the jokers toxin from being released" and under the headline would be a subline stating"14 people died in burning building".

The Jedi Guardian
10th Mar 2009, 15:08
Who says it is going to be a GTA game. We are just only using the sandbox thing with driving the batmobile around, gliding over rooftops and grappling from the streets. Its all for the movement and the environment.

The light and dark thing in Ultimate Spiderman was great, but there were times were you would switch costumes like three times in a row and the time of day would change. Can you tell when it got dark I don't remember?

The cowl mission selection is a cool idea. Depending on the color and the special tools you choose a certain mission. I think it is better than looking at a batcomputer. But the vehicle idea in Lego Batman was a great idea too. I think I would like selecting the cowl first and then choose the vehicle in which how you will arrive to apprehend the villain.

door noob
10th Mar 2009, 15:39
The light and dark thing in Ultimate Spiderman was great, but there were times were you would switch costumes like three times in a row and the time of day would change. Can you tell when it got dark I don't remember?

You could alterate it like so: only between bruce wayne and batman suits will the time of day would change, but while changing and/ or custimizing your batman suit the time of day would not change only between the batman suit and bruce wayne suit

Thus -bruce wayne suit = daytime
-batman suit = nightime

Revanchist
10th Mar 2009, 16:32
But there IS a free roam batman game. Batman and Robin, ps1. It was free roam.

door noob
10th Mar 2009, 18:48

that was a really fun game and, ground braking for that time to bad a lot of people didin't play it.

Termix
10th Mar 2009, 20:10
You know, driving around in high-speed can cause some accidents, in GTA there are no consequences, because you play a gangster, Batman can't cause an accident and kill people.
Furthermore I think the people who want such a game aren't enough, because anyone who doesn't love Batman could say : Why playing a game where my actions are limited, there's GTA.
Don't get me wrong, I PERSONALLY WOULD LOVE SUCH A GAME, but i think it's not lucrative enough.

Ah and sorry door noob, forgot my main point, why you may have to steal a car:
The other one is demolished, due to the Joker hitting you with a Bazooka.

But back to the topic:
I would find it great if you can drive out of the batcave and when you arrive in Gotham you can travel by foot or jump to a discovered location, flying would be a good alternative to avoid accidents.
And i would love free roam, jumping, gliding and grappling around is just awsome.

Maybe somewhen this is getting realized, maybe together with the next Christopher Nolan film? The game would sell great.

door noob
10th Mar 2009, 22:39
Ah and sorry door noob, forgot my main point, why you may have to steal a car:
The other one is demolished, due to the Joker hitting you with a Bazooka.

Well... there are several other alternatives than just stealing a car I.E.
#1. Batman has tunnels hidden all over the city leading to diffirent batcaves which hold items like motorcylce, his other batmobiles, etc.
#2. Call up alfred, and you(the player) would be able to control the wheel.
#3. Call upon one of your own vechicles from any conviniant location using your cowl, batphone and what not.
#4. Use theroof tops.
#5. Use batmans subway thing.
#6. (just for jokes) use the bus.
#6. Change into your civilian cloths and buy a lambourghini, ferrari, etc.

well you get the point.:thumb:

Termix
11th Mar 2009, 11:41
Yeah, ok your point :P but making the pavements 2m high is no solution for avoiding accidents.

door noob
11th Mar 2009, 15:54
lets hope batman wont be under the influence of alcohol while he's behind the wheel

The Sparrow
3rd Apr 2009, 16:10

And how were the graphics on your free roam game? HMMMMM?

Thought so...

The Sparrow
3rd Apr 2009, 16:12
that is really cool nevr thought computers like that even existed

Yeah, they do a couple times in the sims 2, and it will be everywhere in the sims 3. LOL, i can't wait for that one to come out.:lmao:

Jorelsson
4th Apr 2009, 01:25

what do you think?

All I have to say is AMEN AMEN AMEN! Make it so lol

I dig that too, but the only problem i have with that is resident evils movement controls arent broad enough for me, yu cant do anything while you run and its not free roam.

Wow I keep seeing references to spider man 2 and 3, its like none of you guys ever played web of shadows lol that one was repetitive too but at least the fighting was better than the rest. I keep Superman returns just to fly around too lol. But your right, that is the fundamental flaw with the open world superhero genre, how do we eliminate the repetitive crime fighting and at the same time increase replay value?

Yup and that was the last time we were able to ride the batmobile anywhere anytime. Unfortunately that game was based on a suck ass film lol

The Jedi Guardian
4th Apr 2009, 04:26
Spiderman games were the perfect examples of a superhero free roam. Spiderman (movie game) had lots of combos, Spiderman 3 had great controls, free roam, better combos, and fights weren't repetitive unless you use the same controls, different thugs, (problems were the boss thugs never appeared again, there were lots of different battles and ongoing situations but they were so random that some of the never appeared [hang up at a store])

Spiderman 3 opened up a new swing style (Did miss the controls of a sprint button [only used in swinging in this game]),(I don't really know that much about the 360 and the ps3 because I don't have those.)

Web of Shadows opened up better gameplay (attacks, some good combos, swinging, web attack), repetitive, there should have been more characters, choices were all right but most marvel characters especially Spiderman make lots of choices.

If they wanted to make a new batman game. They would add the combos of spiderman one, from spiderman 2 the free roam (had more key places and less repetitive buildings), advanced combos, and more city events (but a lot more random and a chance to play each oppurtunity over 20 times).
Nothing from Spiderman 3 except maybe some consecutive movements. Web of Shadows could be the the size of the city, other things would be appearances of other characters and gameplay from the ground to the sky.

I think in a free roam you can go into any room, underground, sky and underwater and not have to wait for the game to load. Spiderman 2 didn't do this, only when opening up a animation scene and an area you can't access regularly or only once. I would rather have less animation to do something like get in a car or ride the batwing.

I forgot about everything else I want to talk about, check the last page for other details