PDA

View Full Version : Open-World Arkham

BATtleMAN
31st Jan 2009, 12:45
Does anyone know if this game will be open-world?

WhatsHisFace
31st Jan 2009, 15:27
Does anyone know if this game will be open-world?
It's a prison, dude. Of course it's not.

SammiiDoogles
31st Jan 2009, 15:44
It's a prison, dude. Of course it's not.

isn't arkham an asylum? A Sort of hospital for the criminally insane? not a prison?

CodeBlack
31st Jan 2009, 18:31
isn't arkham an asylum? A Sort of hospital for the criminally insane? not a prison?

Well, they also have a Maximum Security "incurables" ward, and, all in all, more security than most prisons.

Not that it does them any good.

angleslam99
31st Jan 2009, 19:12
I don't think it's an open world Gotham game, but it could be a free-roam Arkham Island game.

BATtleMAN
31st Jan 2009, 19:37
Thanks to those who were helpful, what i meant to ask was if we could go anywhere in arkham whenever we wanted to.

Blak Puddn
31st Jan 2009, 21:29
If you look at the trailer you see Batman using the grapple gun and swinging around Arkham also you see Batman doing a cape glide and kick a thug in the face. Open world no but the enviroment will be expansive enough for Batman to manuver freely. Also at the end of the trailer Batman does another cape glide outside to the satellite Batcave onsite at Arkham.

Wigglez
31st Jan 2009, 22:07
They already said that the game is an open world game. So, yes. There is free roaming. You might have to unlock doors to get to other areas though. This game is gonna be good. Very good.

BATtleMAN
31st Jan 2009, 22:10
They already said that the game is an open world game. So, yes. There is free roaming. You might have to unlock doors to get to other areas though. This game is gonna be good. Very good.

Great news man, Thanks a ton. That just lit my day up :D .

Wigglez
31st Jan 2009, 22:20
Great news man, Thanks a ton. That just lit my day up :D .

Yup:thumb:

HystericFreak
1st Feb 2009, 00:01
It's free roaming and open world in the sense that the areas are linked in a relatively non-linear fashion; you can run around the aslyum, and some areas will be closed to you, but there is still the oppertunity to explore non plot specific areas on the island.

|THE D3T3TIVE|
1st Feb 2009, 18:24
From the Game Informer Article awile back. They spoke of it playing alot like A Zelda title or something like that. where you can go anywhere just Not right away. I still Wont be Getting the game right away though. really looking forward to it's passing though. i just dont have 50 bucks to waste for something that sucks. but from what i understand in my way of thinking it's Going to be like the chronicles of rid**** escape from butcher bay just a bit more open for Back tracking and more room for creativity.

they are saying we can use the Grappling gun anywhere if that's true then i cant wait to give it a go. i saw the combat in the video and the behind the back camera angle from the re4 & 5 games. i think the combat with be something like assassin's creed. like when you get into a fight or some sort of Encounter the camera shifts to help you fight or you might able to adjust it like in gta 4. where it can be behind the back or a litte further back to help you get a much biger scale of the room when in combat.

it's beaing published by Eidos here & they have been Good with picking the right batman game titles. like batman vengeance and batman rise of sun tzu. both of thses Games where that of the Animated batman cartoon from the 90's that we all Know & love. i will Respect Eidos And there Judgement on this matter & have fath in them. but batman dark Tomorrow Promised all of this same stuff. from what i herd the game was find untill Microsoft wanted to Edited the combat of the game.

since i head the combat will be mapped to all 4 buttion's like assassin's creed i am really looking forward to the combat

http://i43.tinypic.com/14ccrrr.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/14n1uvq.jpg

Pictures from Dark tomarrow.

Now i hope you can understand my train of thought when i see an amazing looking batman game but still would like to have a good result out of it. i wont pick this up untill i get good reviews and praise from the batman community. like i said before look's are nothing. it's the feel of the game & how you control it. although i must say the Team did a good job with the style of the world.

Stealthguy1986
1st Feb 2009, 18:33
I feel that the open world structure of Arkham will be similar to Assassin's Creed ie to put it simply 'linearly free roaming'.

|THE D3T3TIVE|
1st Feb 2009, 18:40
I feel that the open world structure of Arkham will be similar to Assassin's Creed ie to put it simply 'linearly free roaming'.

How so ? just asking since arkham is a place for the mentally insane & assassin's creed is four or five diffrent small city's you need to travel to in order to kill someone ?. i still belive it's going to be alot like Escape from butcher bay. just third person with ac style combat. but i am open to opion.

Wigglez
1st Feb 2009, 22:33
The combat in this game is said to be pretty simple. That won'r be a problem as long as you can give alot of combos. That's what matters to me. And alot of good mechanics too.

BATtleMAN
2nd Feb 2009, 03:33
From what i have gathered so far, Arkham Asylum is supposed to be huge (I read it in some preview, i dont remember which), which doesnt make any since if you cant go everywhere eventually.
Also, from what i've learned from you guys (you can grapple anywhere:D) then free-roam type gameplay will be fitting.
One last point; wouldn't it be more fun to use forensic/detective tools in a non-linear sandboxish world? Where a finger print trail was actually useful?

Stealthguy1986
2nd Feb 2009, 05:41
How so ? just asking since arkham is a place for the mentally insane & assassin's creed is four or five diffrent small city's you need to travel to in order to kill someone ?. i still belive it's going to be alot like Escape from butcher bay. just third person with ac style combat. but i am open to opion.

It's just a feeling or hunch, and the thing with feelings or hunches is that they can be wrong sometimes.:). Never played butcher bay , will give it a try when the new one comes out. AC'S fighting moves were somewhat realistic yet graceful. So if the devs can make the fighting system like or better than Ac's then it would be 'cool'. But comming to the topic, if the devs can give an open world structure to arkham asylum with several ways to get to a location then it would be better than a linear structure.

|THE D3T3TIVE|
2nd Feb 2009, 08:57
It's just a feeling or hunch, and the thing with feelings or hunches is that they can be wrong sometimes.:). Never played butcher bay , will give it a try when the new one comes out. AC'S fighting moves were somewhat realistic yet graceful. So if the devs can make the fighting system like or better than Ac's then it would be 'cool'. But comming to the topic, if the devs can give an open world structure to arkham asylum with several ways to get to a location then it would be better than a linear structure.

Agreed. In Ac there was not manny way's about the area. it was just a huge open space to ride your horse from point a-b most of the time. yes i head the combat in B:aa is supose to be simple & the only game i can think of with simple combo's and moves is Ac. from what i understand there are manny way's to get around arkham. like air ducts and thing's of that sort that can be reached Via the grapple gun. like in the recent trailer was see batman blowing open a week wall that might be one of afew way's to get past something. they said in game informer that eatch weapon batman has will Do two set's of thing's. like the grapple gun can be used for well the normal getting around part. but then the upgrade will add a claw onto it so he can pull tugs to him.

i also have read that his weapons will be upgradeable. maybe that is meant for taking down much stonger wall's or force fields.

ya i am looking forward to the new verson of the game as well but i'm waiting on re5.:D