PDA

View Full Version : best batman graphic novels and why is he such an icon?

k1ll1ng j0k3
30th Jan 2009, 16:12
Alright people! We are all pumped up with this new trailer and we are all exited and anxious to see more, in the mean time, can you guys tell me what are your favorite Batman graphic novels and why? That way we will all be able to share different points of view about this enigmatic character and try to figure out why we made him such an icon!

Darth
30th Jan 2009, 16:21
Alright people! We are all pumped up with this new trailer and we are all exited and anxious to see more, in the mean time, can you guys tell me what are your favorite Batman graphic novels and why? That way we will all be able to share different points of view about this enigmatic character and try to figure out why we made him such an icon!

My favorite graphic novel is Hush volume 2, mainly because it's an interesting story with most of my favorite villians included.

k1ll1ng j0k3
30th Jan 2009, 16:27
My favorite graphic novel is Hush volume 2, mainly because it's an interesting story with most of my favorite villians included. it's not a bad story I love what Jim Lee did, great art work and yeah you are right they have most of the villians there, I do feel that it lacked something, It didn’t really explore the deepness of the characters even the main antagonist “Hush” lacked a little flavor but over all I enjoyed it a lot!

k1ll1ng j0k3
30th Jan 2009, 16:29
one of the things that I really enjoyed about hush is how they established the differences between Batman and Superman, besides batman got to kick superman’s ass!

The New Blueguy
30th Jan 2009, 16:44
Well, as of now, my fave is Joker by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo. I've been in Batman GN withdrawl lately because of a financial kick in the teeth but I'm on a quest to find these:

Batman: Death in the City
Batman: Knightfall (has a full volume TPB been released?)
Batman/Deathblow (Another Azzarello/Bermejo work of art, I hear)
Hush vol. 1 + 2
Shadow of the Bat: The Last Arkham (one of the GNs said to have inspired this game)
Batman: Night Cries (may be a bit heavy for some; is said to deal with child abuse)
Batman: The Black Glove
Batman and Son

Also I have a small problem, I wanted to catch up on the current Batman: RIP angle and I don't know where to start. Can some help me out as to which issuses to grab and which GNs they flow into and out of?

Also, if anyone has read any of the Gotham Central GNs let me know what you think... I've heard such comments as Law and Order: SVU meets Batman but that's really all I know besides the fact that the uber-hottie Renee Montoya is the lead character.

Drazar
30th Jan 2009, 16:51
Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison

This dark and gruesome story, just shows how truly wicked some of the Arkham inmates can be, and shows what a crazy depressed human Batman truly just is.

Batman: Year One

Its no brainer Christopher Nolan took alot of inspiration from Frank Miller's book, this is nicely detailed origin story of Batman and Jim Gordon.

Batman and Son

I'm a huge Grant Morrison fan, and the stories are so awesome. From Talia al ghul's Man Bat army to the 3 ghosts of Batman, its just awesome storytelling with good plot and action. Oh and issue #666 is one of my favorites. :D Where Damian Wayne is Batman in near future.

Batman: The Killing Joke

Anything Alan Moore writes is awesome, especially the soon to come film version of Watchmen. Now The Killing Joke was an awesome story and analysis between Joker and Batman and really helped Batman get back to his darker roots in the 80s.

Batman: Hush

A new villain who gathers all-star Batman villains with the Jim Lee's art? Its a pure gold, even tho Hush character kinda got ruined in "Hush's return" luckily thanks to Paul Dini we have gotten Hush into a very very psychopathic villain, who now even looks like Bruce Wayne!

Batman the Long Halloween

Another great story with Batman's all-star villains teamed up to fight him, also a great origin story for Two-Face.

Batman the Dark Victory

Follow-up for The Long Halloween's great story, shows the origin of Robin aka **** Grayson. :)

And my all time favorite Batman graphical novel is....
The Dark Knight Returns
Now i absolutely love Frank Miller and everything he has done, especially his awesome All Star Batman and Robin comic series, even tho its the slowest running Batman comic around, now that Jim Lee is done with DCU Online, that comic can continue. But really, The Dark Knight Returns is the most badass story of Batman, where he even has the US Goverment as his enemy, and wins. :D

k1ll1ng j0k3
30th Jan 2009, 16:59
Well, as of now, my fave is Joker by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo. I've been in Batman GN withdrawl lately because of a financial kick in the teeth but I'm on a quest to find these:

Batman: Death in the City
Batman/Deathblow (Another Azzarello/Bermejo work of art, I hear)
Hush vol. 1 + 2
Shadow of Bat: The Last Arkham (one of the GNs said to have inspired this game)
Batman: Night Cries (may be a bit heavy for some; is said to deal with child abuse)
Batman and Son

Also I have a small problem, I wanted to catch up on the current Batman: RIP angle and I don't know where to start. Can some help me out as to which issuses to grab and which GNs they flow into and out of?

Also, if anyone has read any of the Gotham Central GNs let me know what you think... I've heard such comments as Law and Order: SVU meets Batman but that's really all I know besides the fact that the uber-hottie Renee Montoya is the lead character.
Great taste, I am taking note of the ones that I haven’t read yet. For example, shadow of the bat: the last Arkham, and I shamefully admit that although being a Batman fan I haven read the Knightfall saga. Night cries was really good!

k1ll1ng j0k3
30th Jan 2009, 17:11
Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison

This dark and gruesome story, just shows how truly wicked some of the Arkham inmates can be, and shows what a crazy depressed human Batman truly just is.

Batman: Year One

Its no brainer Christopher Nolan took alot of inspiration from Frank Miller's book, this is nicely detailed origin story of Batman and Jim Gordon.

Batman and Son

I'm a huge Grant Morrison fan, and the stories are so awesome. From Talia al ghul's Man Bat army to the 3 ghosts of Batman, its just awesome storytelling with good plot and action. Oh and issue #666 is one of my favorites. :D Where Damian Wayne is Batman in near future.

Batman: The Killing Joke

Anything Alan Moore writes is awesome, especially the soon to come film version of Watchmen. Now The Killing Joke was an awesome story and analysis between Joker and Batman and really helped Batman get back to his darker roots in the 80s.

Batman: Hush

A new villain who gathers all-star Batman villains with the Jim Lee's art? Its a pure gold, even tho Hush character kinda got ruined in "Hush's return" luckily thanks to Paul Dini we have gotten Hush into a very very psychopathic villain, who now even looks like Bruce Wayne!

Batman the Long Halloween

Another great story with Batman's all-star villains teamed up to fight him, also a great origin story for Two-Face.

Batman the Dark Victory

Follow-up for The Long Halloween's great story, shows the origin of Robin aka **** Grayson. :)

And my all time favorite Batman graphical novel is....
The Dark Knight Returns
Now i absolutely love Frank Miller and everything he has done, especially his awesome All Star Batman and Robin comic series, even tho its the slowest running Batman comic around, now that Jim Lee is done with DCU Online, that comic can continue. But really, The Dark Knight Returns is the most badass story of Batman, where he even has the US Goverment as his enemy, and wins. :D
great so we are getting closer to the classics! And yeah I love Grant Morrison too! One of my favorite Batman comics is Arkham Asylum a serious house on serious earth! I think that Grant has some fresh and new ideas and he is taking batman on a new direction, I loved Batman Year One and The Dark Knight returns and obviously The Killing Joke and The Man Who Laughs and The Long Halloween and Dark victory were awesome! But I feel like you guys are forgetting about the guy that helped to write this game! Paul Dini did an amazing job not only on The Animated Series but in the comics as well! Batman: Detective, Batman: Death and the city, Batman: Mad Love, Batman: Private Casebook and Batman: war on crime were all awesome stories!

Drazar
30th Jan 2009, 17:21
Yeah i actually got Paul Dini's Private Casebook ordered, i should get it in a week or two. ;) Also i forgot to mention Brian Azzello's The Joker, which is one of the best Joker stories there is with a good city crime feeling to it. :D

I Also like Alex Ross' Drawed Kingdom Come and Justice, but those are more of a Justice League stories than Batman. :)

@New Blueguy:
If you wanna read R.I.P read these 2 first:
Batman and Son

And then read Batman R.I.P which is by far the ultimate tribute to Batman and his crime fightning. :)

k1ll1ng j0k3
30th Jan 2009, 17:25
Yes I need to get Batman R.I.P. and Private Casebook was great. I forgot one that I really liked a lot! Joker: Devil's Advocate! check it out if you can! and yeah Brian Azzarello's Joker was great, very gory and grim! I loved it

Drazar
30th Jan 2009, 17:59
Yeah its a great graphical novel but not one of my favorites. :p People talked too much about the stamps! ;)

The New Blueguy
30th Jan 2009, 18:10
oh and Batman: The Last Halloween and Batman: Dark Victory. Also, does anyone know of any Riddler GNs? I know a lot of comic writers make him very campy but I like the intellectual spin that Timm, Dini and crew gave him in Batman: TAS. I've always seen him as that intellectual trickster type. Sorry if I'm rambling I must be the only person on the planet that likes the Riddler a hell of a lot more than The Joker. Batman: TAS proved that they can be written as totally seperate individuals without any similarity whatsoever.

jondoe297
30th Jan 2009, 18:27
Has anyone been reading Grant Morrison's current run in Batman and the R.I.P. / Final Crisis story?

Didn't enjoy it at first, but it kept getting better and better, leading into Final Crisis, the whole thing was a fantastic read... Roll on Batman: Battle for the Cowl :)

Be great if they could do a massive TBP collection of the entire story?

zurc136
30th Jan 2009, 18:38
[QUOTE=The New Blueguy;936761]
QUOTE]

yup. i saw one at barnes & noble the last time i was in

Drazar
4th Feb 2009, 11:15
AFAIK its Knightfall part, 1,2 and 3. :P Oh yeah i got Paul Dini's Private casebook and i give it 2 thumbs up. :cool:

dingo131
5th Feb 2009, 02:43
the first one would have to be The Killing Joke.

second would the very recent graphic novel entitled "Joker".

arkham asylum: a serious house on serious earth was very good as well

however, my least favorite would have to be I, Joker. worst piece of s**t i ever read.:mad2:

Tapion
5th Feb 2009, 02:54
Well to be honest.. i don't really care about Batman.
Sure he's one of my favourite superheroes (guess he's even my number one)

BUT... i don't watch the films or read the comics or watch the series because of him in the first place. I like most of the villains more than him ;)

Drazar
5th Feb 2009, 05:34
Well Tapion you prolly didn't read these post since alot of people here are listing graphical novels about Joker and so on. :rasp: But yeah even Stan Lee (Marvel guy, spiderman's creator most known for) said that most heroes are interested by the villains around him, but that doesn't mean Batman is uninteresting, i even find stories of Batman vs. mobsters interesting simply because Batman is driven by vengeance.

harveysburntside
5th Feb 2009, 05:52
^^Vengance... Or Justice?
I think of Punisher more when I think of vegance, that irrational drive to obliterate criminals long after the original wrongdoers are long gone.
Batman I see as a more "centered" character, able to see he has long repaid the damages done to himself and now remains driven simply to bring penance to any others. His desire to rehabilitate Harvey Dent and continued attempts to hospitalize the rest of his rogues gallery, show Batmans justice driven psyche.

HystericFreak
5th Feb 2009, 06:50
I think Batman is an icon because he is a normal man trying to make a difference against insane odds; that's a very attractive hero ideal, and will always be popular. With heroes like Superman, we can only empathise so far before we realise he doesn't have problems like we do, and he isn't 'one of us', nor is he restricted by our own limitations. I have an issue with goody goody two shoes who can fix everything, which is why I like Batman; he can't fix everything, nor is he always right, but he's human and he does the best in his ability.

Batman proves that if you have the determination you can make a difference, and that money and an obsession with striking fear can only improve that. =P

BigAl1985
10th Feb 2009, 04:00
My all-time favorite Batman story is Dark Knight Returns. This would be followed by the original Hush storyline by Jeph Loeb. I would have to pick Long Halloween and Batman Year One to finish up the list.

tomstoyz
10th Feb 2009, 07:05
The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller is one of the very best graphic novels out there...if you have not read it yet then please do, you'll love it!

harveysburntside
13th Feb 2009, 00:44
If you read Dark Knight Returns (and you'd be mistaken not to), just don't waste your time with Miller's awful followup Dark Knight Strikes again. Bizarre computerized art styles and a story hardly filled with Batman at all. Stay away.

aceoknaves
13th Feb 2009, 01:03
I second that. Dark Knight Strikes Again is trash beyond belief. That's when Miller really started to hit rock bottom. Stay away from All Star Batman And Robin too! Don't make the mistake I made by buying them. :(

harveysburntside
13th Feb 2009, 01:28
All-Star wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so obvious that Miller and Lee were just trying to steal from us by making the book so slow. Multiple issues before Bats and Robin even get outta the batmobile...? Puh-leeze.
At least it's got kickin' artwork.

k1ll1ng j0k3
13th Feb 2009, 01:34
I second that. Dark Knight Strikes Again is trash beyond belief. That's when Miller really started to hit rock bottom. Stay away from All Star Batman And Robin too! Don't make the mistake I made by buying them. :( Yeah I know what you mean! I got it too and I didn't like it that much, I know that Batman is suppose to be a total bad-ass but the All Star Batman seems more like an a-hole than a badass

thewrongvine
13th Feb 2009, 02:04
Noob question, sorry. I'm new to Batman (:o ) and only started "fanning" since Batman Begins. And then when The Dark Knight came out I became obsessed.

But I've never seen or read the Batman Graphic Novels except for perhaps the few times at a book store or something. Where can I read them?

Maybe somewhere for free? :D

harveysburntside
13th Feb 2009, 02:16
Where to read them? I'd suggest you're favorite chair. Make sure you gots some grape soda.
Where to get them? I'd suggest amazon.com. I mean, if not your local comic shop. But seriously.... amazon has a great selection, good prices and even has a feature to let you look inside some.
Otherwise.. pay for a subscription to DC and Marvels online service. Those are both pretty primo ways to keep up with the weekly storylines.
Personally... I just wait until they become snazzy collections, do my research and then buy them online.
Free is not nice.

thewrongvine
13th Feb 2009, 02:20
How wise. ;)

Free is not nice.
Meaning?
Free donuts are good...
I wonder if the library has any Batman comics... :D

harveysburntside
13th Feb 2009, 02:27
^^ Who gave you the donuts?
You're Mom? Nice.
My Mom? Not nice.

Of course, we aren't talking about donuts are we? Stealing intellectual content from artists and writers who have been infamously ripped off by the publishers over the years, is apt to spark some vigilante-style repercussions. I don't know about you, but I don't want Stan Lee and Bob Kane's zombie creeping into my bedroom for vengance.