PDA

View Full Version : what do you think makes the joker such a badass character?

shadowmatt18
29th Jan 2009, 01:35
in my opinion the dark knight joker is the best joker, i found him dark, yet really funny at the same time. The jokers is a badass, awesome character because he's twisted and he represents the phycopath of modern day society. what do you think makes him so great or entertaining?

Bolt Phoenix
29th Jan 2009, 01:46
I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not but I often find myself laughing whenever he does something that might generally be considered horrible. I suppose it's how he treats situations and how he reacts. The way he treats people is also very amusing, of course. No one else can care as little as him when it comes to his own safety (or the safety of others for that matter), which, of course, leaves more room for the totally awesome events that take place thanks to him.

As for my favorite Joker, I really don't think I can choose. I adore them all pretty equally, though I haven't seen all the versions of him yet (but I'm working on it).

He's just so much fun! There's never, ever a boring moment with him. <3

Tapion
29th Jan 2009, 01:50
- charming smile
- scary smile
- funny

- strangely wise

Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan."

- he always has a punch line
- cool.. outfit... ;)
- clown gadgets
- cool laugh
- when he's there (in the movie/episode), you know it'll never get boring
- the most cuty funny sweety honey pie Harley Quinn :D

Blak Puddn
29th Jan 2009, 01:51
What makes the Joker badass is his committment to pure chaos and anarchy he is uncomprimising. He believes what he is doing is normal.

HystericFreak
29th Jan 2009, 04:45
He's a psychopath; that is, he's terribly charming, manipulative, lacking of any empathy, egotistical and incredibly intelligent. And my god does he look fine in a suit. =3

That and his sense of humour is such that you don't know where you stand with him. He's at his most scary when he isn't laughing though, then you know the s*** is going to hit the fan, most likely with you and everything around him.

I love Dini's Joker, but that's because he usually finds a way to slide Harley in, and treats her with the uptmost respect, and not as a simple punching bag for the Joker. That and Dini writes the Joker's wit very well. I love them all though, they suit different moods for me, hehe.

The Comedian
29th Jan 2009, 19:31
What makes him so badass to me is the psychotic apathy, he really doesnt care if the whole world blows up.

Too tough for me pick a favorite Joker.

k1ll1ng j0k3
29th Jan 2009, 21:00
I love all jokers! But I would have to go with Dini’s joker, not only in the animated series but in the comics as well.
Why is he so badass? I think the complexity of the character is what makes him amazing and the way he blends with Batman! Batman doesn’t have a sense of humor because of the horrible things he sees everyday and The Joker is always laughing at those same things! Besides he has the style!
Also the psychological factor plays a huge role! While most of us have a superego that stop us from doing the things that we really want to do The Joker lacks that! He does whatever he wants whenever he wants, what’s more badass than that?
Finally I think the philosophy of the character is very deep and makes him very special. Nietzsche, a German philosopher talked about a “superman” on his book Thus Spoke Zarathustra. By “superman” he meant a man that was above morality, above good and evil and of course above the law, he goes as far as to say “What is the ape to man? A laughing-stock or a painful embarrassment. And just the same shall man be to the “superman” a laughing-stock or a painful embarrassment” so what is everyone to The Joker but a laughing-stock? He has made anarchy his calling, he lives for it, he loves it and he is not afraid to die for it!

CodeBlack
31st Jan 2009, 05:12
I think there're three things that make the Joker so effectively scary:

* He's chillingly effective. He murders, destroys, and schemes with almost complete impunity, and it's all the more creepy because it's halfway played as a joke, halfway played as deadly serious.
* Sometimes, you can almost understand him and see his thought process. A good writer will even put you inside his head, make you almost empathize with him (this is one of the reasons Heath Ledger did such a good job with Joker). In short, he makes you think about each and every atrocity he commits.
* There's always that one thought: "what if someone like this was around in real life?"

milohimself
2nd Feb 2009, 02:25
Read the New Joker graphic novel that came out in October, DC released it to grab on to Joker fever since every one saw the movie and people who have never read comics bought anything they could find related to the Joker, kinda like Watchmen.....

But anyway, Brian Azzarello's Joker makes Nolan's look like a punk, plot is a Thug by the name of Johnny Frost wants to get in close with the Joker as he think's he'll be living the high life once he does, but once he does get that close, he regrets his decision, very much.

IMO metaphor for how everyone was like "JOKER ROCKZORRZ, and chicks were like oooo he's soooooo hotttt."

NO

He's a deranged clown and you should be absolutely terrified of him. And no book does it better than this one, story is a little meh, but the effect is golden

HystericFreak
2nd Feb 2009, 08:56
metaphor for how everyone was like "JOKER ROCKZORRZ, and chicks were like oooo he's soooooo hotttt."

NO

He's a deranged clown and you should be absolutely terrified of him. And no book does it better than this one, story is a little meh, but the effect is golden

Just to clarify, the attraction to the Joker for a lot of women tends to in fact be his power, the fact he is an unstopable force, incredibly alpha male, in control and terrorfying. He's addictive and you can't help but worship him a little. =P But of course there is the knowledge he'll kill you as soon as he's bored or angry, but such is life!

I've still got to get my hands on that Joker comic, but I know that people have had very mixed opinions on it.

Zsasz
2nd Feb 2009, 12:14
Meh, the Joker graphic novel is good, but it has virtually no part for Harley, she's just a background character. The thing I love about it is The Riddler, even though he plays a very small part he has a more punk-anarchic look than usual. I also like the portrayal of Two-Face just waiting by the phone, coin in hand, waiting to make a decision. It strikes me the right way.

SammiiDoogles
2nd Feb 2009, 18:00
I Really enjoyed "Joker", it really showed the kind of joker i like, sick and twisted, it showed it so well in so many places;

-When he Rapes Johnnys wife
-When he kills the old couple with a razor and lies in their bed
-And the Countless Murders throughout the book

However i really didnt like the fact that He was on Pills the whole time...
i think it really took away from the jokers character, it wouldve been better if he was just naturally insane....

Drazar
2nd Feb 2009, 18:03
I think he just took those pills and drugs to add it to his personality, usually when he wasn't on drugs he was even murderous and even more psycho. :P

milohimself
2nd Feb 2009, 21:26
Well those necessarily didn't make him insane, just kept him going for extreme amounts of time, uppers probably

Bolt Phoenix
3rd Feb 2009, 21:24
Read the New Joker graphic novel that came out in October, DC released it to grab on to Joker fever since every one saw the movie and people who have never read comics bought anything they could find related to the Joker, kinda like Watchmen.....

But anyway, Brian Azzarello's Joker makes Nolan's look like a punk, plot is a Thug by the name of Johnny Frost wants to get in close with the Joker as he think's he'll be living the high life once he does, but once he does get that close, he regrets his decision, very much.

IMO metaphor for how everyone was like "JOKER ROCKZORRZ, and chicks were like oooo he's soooooo hotttt."

NO

I read that graphic novel today. And let me tell you:

It. Was. Awesome.

Didn't make me like the Joker any less, might I add. The portrayal of him seemed to fit into that particular universe.

The only thing I disliked, as mentioned above, was: all the pills he ingested... constantly. xD;

Edit:
Also,

Just to clarify, the attraction to the Joker for a lot of women tends to in fact be his power, the fact he is an unstopable force, incredibly alpha male, in control and terrorfying. He's addictive and you can't help but worship him a little. =P But of course there is the knowledge he'll kill you as soon as he's bored or angry, but such is life!

I've still got to get my hands on that Joker comic, but I know that people have had very mixed opinions on it.
I agree with your every word. And now you're my new best friend. x3

Just_Joker
7th Feb 2009, 04:52
He has no since of good. No morals, no conscience...he is intelligent in his own right and yet criminally insane and does the worst that anyone can or can't imagine and laughs while doing it. That is to me anyway what makes him scary, his is unpredictable. And in that since a very powerful foe to anyone un lucky to cross his path....just my 2 cents.

Joe-Kerr
8th Feb 2009, 13:33
My favourite and i've always stuck by him is Dini's Joker/Mark Hamill's Joker. In the series he was the pinacle, his charm, ego, and psychotics made him stick out from the other villains.

Ledger was absolute Joker, he did excelllent and exactly as he and Nolan proposed. A realistic turn on The Clown Prince of Crime. Gritty, grungy, sychitso, psychopathic. Or as he said himself, a Psychopathic, sychitzophrenic, mass-murdering clown with zero empathy.
He did Justice to The Joker, and i saw Dini's in there aswell. It was simply amazing to put it lightly. Iconic to me.

But i think what makes The Joker such an iconic and sadistic villain is that he stands for everything wrong in the world, infact he takes advantage of it. He is sadistic, masochistic terror, he is psychotic anarchy, he is unpredictable mayhem. Yet he makes jokes out of it. He himself is charismatic and he doesn't care for anyone. He has no principles, no moral values, no sense of good, right or wrong. He is the voice for evil.
Batman stands for everything good in the world or atleast fights for it. And The Joker is like a moth to the flame, he cant resist him. Its like the battle of Religion and science. One questions the other.
Thats going deep about it. But The Joker really is the absolute top of villainy because he himself doesn't care for villainy, he doesnt want to be particulaly bad. He just wants to exploit. Which is why when villains are scared 'they tell Joker stories' and why The Joker beat the screcrow with a chair after the two worked together in capturing the mayor in the comics. He doesn't side with anyone.
He's almost definetly my favourite. Batman's deadliest and most unpredictable foe.

Thats my two cents ;)

P.S Damn, i wanna get that new Joker graphic Novel. It supposed to be based on Heath's Joker. Lol, its funny and good how allot of people are so enthusiastic about The Joker now after TDK, i knew since the first viral picture came out that Ledger had turned The Joker into a realistic being. Still, its annoying for us who were long time fans from the beginning!!!!
Novels to read if you want to know about the Joker, The Killing Joke its amazing, Joker - i need to read this!, Batman: A Death In The Family - if you can find it! and Batman: The Man Who Laughs - the first documented account of Batman and The Joker's first meeting.

HystericFreak
8th Feb 2009, 21:53
I agree with your every word. And now you're my new best friend. x3

Let us go and eat icecream and talk about how much we adore our puddin'. XD If you liked it, I might have to go check it out! Some of the art looks beautiful, but I know there were two different inkers which caused a lot of weirdness.

Really though, there's something incredibly interesting about villains, especially Mistah J; he just oozes authority. *drool*

magic_girl_z
19th Feb 2009, 15:50
I love the joker, for a few reasons:

His tragic backstory; this idea of this failed comedian having to turn to crime because of the death of his wife and his unborn child.
It is kind of sad that he can create punch lines out of terrorist plots and mass murder and still keep laughing. But, they say that there is a fine line between Crazy and Genius (and I guess he crossed it, a while back. )

I also like the joker (as weird as this is going to sound) because of his weird relationship and respect he has for Bats. I mean sure, out of all the times he has had him strapped to some weird diabolical device he could've walked over and yanked of Batman's Cowl..found out that he was Bruce Wayne and attacked him at the manor (a la Bane). -- But, Joker has this weird almost respect for him (or is it for the cowl?) and he doesn't do that..instead he would rather keep upping the one up manship of the strange relationship of Bats and Joker.

magic_girl_z
19th Feb 2009, 15:54
My favourite and i've always stuck by him is Dini's Joker/Mark Hamill's Joker. In the series he was the pinacle, his charm, ego, and psychotics made him stick out from the other villains.

Ledger was absolute Joker, he did excelllent and exactly as he and Nolan proposed. A realistic turn on The Clown Prince of Crime. Gritty, grungy, sychitso, psychopathic. Or as he said himself, a Psychopathic, sychitzophrenic, mass-murdering clown with zero empathy.
He did Justice to The Joker, and i saw Dini's in there aswell. It was simply amazing to put it lightly. Iconic to me.

But i think what makes The Joker such an iconic and sadistic villain is that he stands for everything wrong in the world, infact he takes advantage of it. He is sadistic, masochistic terror, he is psychotic anarchy, he is unpredictable mayhem. Yet he makes jokes out of it. He himself is charismatic and he doesn't care for anyone. He has no principles, no moral values, no sense of good, right or wrong. He is the voice for evil.
Batman stands for everything good in the world or atleast fights for it. And The Joker is like a moth to the flame, he cant resist him. Its like the battle of Religion and science. One questions the other.
Thats going deep about it. But The Joker really is the absolute top of villainy because he himself doesn't care for villainy, he doesnt want to be particulaly bad. He just wants to exploit. Which is why when villains are scared 'they tell Joker stories' and why The Joker beat the screcrow with a chair after the two worked together in capturing the mayor in the comics. He doesn't side with anyone.
He's almost definetly my favourite. Batman's deadliest and most unpredictable foe.

Thats my two cents ;)

P.S Damn, i wanna get that new Joker graphic Novel. It supposed to be based on Heath's Joker. Lol, its funny and good how allot of people are so enthusiastic about The Joker now after TDK, i knew since the first viral picture came out that Ledger had turned The Joker into a realistic being. Still, its annoying for us who were long time fans from the beginning!!!!
Novels to read if you want to know about the Joker, The Killing Joke its amazing, Joker - i need to read this!, Batman: A Death In The Family - if you can find it! and Batman: The Man Who Laughs - the first documented account of Batman and The Joker's first meeting.

Its like Joker and Batman are eachother's ying to their respective yang - or vice versa..like their gemini twins..can't live without eachother..i agree.

magic_girl_z
19th Feb 2009, 15:58
He's a psychopath; that is, he's terribly charming, manipulative, lacking of any empathy, egotistical and incredibly intelligent. And my god does he look fine in a suit. =3

That and his sense of humour is such that you don't know where you stand with him. He's at his most scary when he isn't laughing though, then you know the s*** is going to hit the fan, most likely with you and everything around him.

I love Dini's Joker, but that's because he usually finds a way to slide Harley in, and treats her with the uptmost respect, and not as a simple punching bag for the Joker. That and Dini writes the Joker's wit very well. I love them all though, they suit different moods for me, hehe.

I have the urge to point out that Dini's joker did in fact use Harley as 'just a punching bag' quite often in the cartoon. However, since it was a supposed child's cartoon it was often covered up with slapstick comedy (except for the few times were he had openly back handed her.) But, I'll supress that urge.

stefanator600
19th Feb 2009, 17:58
I will tell you what makes The Joker so badass!!!! Ok here it is, it is really simple.......MARK HAMILL! Rite there, that is the answer! :rasp:

Pun1sher
19th Feb 2009, 18:49
I think the joker in The Dark Knight movie is good. R.I.P. Heath Ledger for playin the part brilliantly. Dark, yet hilarious!!!

I Also like the joker in DCUO, but Ledger is better.

The joker in this game has good voice acting (in the trailer anyway), but I personally don't like his artwork. I'm still getting the game nontheless!!!

stefanator600
19th Feb 2009, 19:11
I think the joker in The Dark Knight movie is good. R.I.P. Heath Ledger for playin the part brilliantly. Dark, yet hilarious!!!

I Also like the joker in DCUO, but Ledger is better.

The joker in this game has good voice acting (in the trailer anyway), but I personally don't like his artwork. I'm still getting the game nontheless!!!

You Know, if you perfer Heaths Joker so much, you could just wait until EA games actually comes out with their Batman game based off of the movie(If they ever do) trust me, I am absolutely positive that they will have no trouble finding someone to do an exact Heath Ledger Joker for the game, it isnt that hard to portray him. Also, about the guy from THIS game(Batman AA) he has been doing the Joker for more years than any other Joker combined! I think you'll warm up to him eventually. :thumb:

HA HA HA
19th Feb 2009, 19:21
You Know, if you perfer Heaths Joker so much, you could just wait until EA games actually comes out with their Batman game based off of the movie(If they ever do) trust me, I am absolutely positive that they will have no trouble finding someone to do an exact Heath Ledger Joker for the game, it isnt that hard to portray him. Also, about the guy from THIS game(Batman AA) he has been doing the Joker for more years than any other Joker combined! I think you'll warm up to him eventually. :thumb:

Saddly the Dark Knight game has been canceled officially. The Game had acctually so much ridding on it that a whole section of pandemic is no more.

stefanator600
19th Feb 2009, 19:32
Saddly the Dark Knight game has been canceled officially. The Game had acctually so much ridding on it that a whole section of pandemic is no more.

Well I am just saying, I do get tired of people who post on a forum about Ledgers Joker when this is a game based off of TAS and the comics, not the Film The Dark Knight, if EA really wanted to, or any company for that matter, they would very easily be able to find someone to do Heath's Joker voice, its pretty generic in my opinion, not a very hard Joker to Voice, or even act.

HA HA HA
19th Feb 2009, 19:34
Well I am just saying, I do get tired of people who post on a forum about Ledgers Joker when this is a game based off of TAS and the comics, not the Film The Dark Knight, if EA really wanted to, or any company for that matter, they would very easily be able to find someone to do Heath's Joker voice, its pretty generic in my opinion, not a very hard Joker to Voice, or even act. Yes, I actually have a very good Heath Joker act. People tell me I'm so good when it really isn't that hard.

The Sparrow
2nd Mar 2009, 23:05
First of all, the Joker was the first villian EVER to appear in the batman comics.:wave:

Second, the Joker is really who we try to live up to. We all try to stay commited and be happy, and being happy is what the Joker is commited to. We're always told to laugh at life, and look at how the Joker does doing that. We need to respect people, and the Joker really kinda respects Batman (in a weird, twisted, tormenting everyone Batman cares about kind of way.).:mad2:

Third, he's a quirky character.:lmao:

Forth, America hates those happy, gay clowns. The Joker is violent and strangely awesome. The earlier batman comics appeal to the younger kids (but I think everyone should read them!), and everything from the 80's and beyond appeals to teens and adults. He really is an attractive icon.:cool:

Fifth, the Joker is like way the opposite of Batman. Batman is dark, serious, rich, good, and pure hearted. On the other hand, we have this colorful, clownish, (as far is I know) poor, evil, blood thirsty Joker who is like Batman's nemesis 24/7. But, according to batman's and the joker's origins, they both lost people in their life. :( :)

Finally, I did a survey. Over 75% of the people who poled said they would be more interested with a psychopath character then a normal minded character. The public is more interested in a strange, medical case psychopath than in a perfectly average and normal person.:nut:

SupermanSMASH
3rd Mar 2009, 17:46
Best joker?.. Any voiced by Mark Hamill.

Worst Joker?.. A toss up between "The Batman" animated series Joker, and "The Dark Knight" movie Joker. ... Not to say that Heath's acting wasn't good in the movie. He played a great villian, but in my opinion he wasn't the joker. Aside from the magic trick and maybe the nurse scene, if he was wearing any other costume, he woulda been any other villian.