PDA

View Full Version : We're off to Rocksteady to meet them team :)

Keir
26th Jan 2009, 13:06
Greetings folks,

mycoldman and I are heading on up to Rocksteady Studios this afternoon to meet the team and have a chat about some cool ideas we've got for community related initiatives. If there's anything you'd like to know about the game, or any assets (podcasts, screens, interviews, etc) you'd like to see, please feel free to post them in this thread :thumbsup:

Watch this space!

Wigglez
26th Jan 2009, 13:10
Can you find out about the mechanics of the game? Aspects of gameplay.

Keir
26th Jan 2009, 13:14
Can you find out about the mechanics of the game? Aspects of gameplay.

Yes! There's lots and lots we can talk about here. Over the coming weeks and months we'll make sure you get the inside line :naughty:

chip5541
26th Jan 2009, 15:23
Bring back pictures and lots of news :D

Drazar
26th Jan 2009, 15:51
I'd love to see concept art designs of characters and places, and is there a possibility they will get a Collector's Edition out of this game? Have people interview the game designers, producers, Paul Dini, Mark Hamill and the god damn Kevin Conroy! <3 :-D

The_Hylden
26th Jan 2009, 15:54
Awesome.

Hm... I guess my questions would be:

How many (roughly) villains will we be seeing?

How long, roughly, do they expect the game to be?

What is the official date it is going to be released on all platforms?

Can they elaborate on more of Batman's detective skills being integrated and how? Scenarios (non-plot give-aways)?

Can they elaborate more on the "outdoor areas" we've heard about? Does that encompass sections on the entire island? And will that be *just* for extras/treasures/secrets, or will these areas be implemented into furthering the plot as well?

Will we be exploring the remote Bat Cave under the island? (that would be a cool resting/analysis/planning area, as well as a possible tutorial/training/enhancement section)

Will Batman have to upgrade his suit, visors, gadgets (besides his arsenal, like Batarangs) in order to overcome other obstacles later in the game? If so, will these hearken back to other fan goodies seen in the comics? (even movies)

Not to ask you to say right out, like name any characters, but will Batman come across any potential other allies to help him later on, like the help he has by default from Oracle?

Any sections that use any vehicles/other mechanical bat inventions other than what Batman has on his utility belt? (this should take care of people asking if we'll drive the Bat-Mobile/Bat-Pod/Bat-Wing, etc...)? I will note that I'd prefer to keep Batman grounded and limited to his own human self as much as possible to overcome stuff, but a section later on for story reasons would be cool in this regard.

Hm, any differences in content that they can comment about that are platform exclusives? Like, will X-BOX 360 have this, PS3 won't, or PC doesn't get the same content, or has more? I hope it's all pretty much equal. I am getting it for PC, so I would like everything there, as well as other people playing on other stuff to have what I am getting as well.

I think the last question gets too far down the line to be answered, so I think I am out of pertinent questions.

The only other one is can they confirm the full cast list? Like, besides Conroy and Hamill, will the same actors that played them so well in Batman: The Animated Series be returning?

Oh, and might as well: what's the ESRB rating, officially? There's an article posted that says we're seeing death and blood, so I am thinking regardless, this game is going to be for the mature audience, even if the rating doesn't reflect that. But, just thought I'd ask.

That's it. Hope for some footage and pics as well:) Thank you, Rocksteady! Thanks, Keir, and good luck.

WhatsHisFace
26th Jan 2009, 16:47
I'd like a good interview with the project lead.

Some questions:

What games have served as inspiration for the gameplay/design?
What enhancements have the team made to the Unreal Engine?
Was Arkham chosen to be the setting from the beginning?
Where do they see the games industry going in the next five years?

Stealthguy1986
26th Jan 2009, 17:54
Will there by multiple ways of dealing with a situation(ranging from boss fights to solving puzzles)?
How many hours of gameplay can we expect?
Then I would like to know about the issues of replayability?
Can the players choose the way he/she wants to deal with a situation?
Is it going be well optimized especially for the pc version?
Will there be any rewards like unlockable costumes, bonus levels or minigames?
Will there be any side quests in the game?

Darth
26th Jan 2009, 18:37
I'm interested in knowing who's voicing who, and I wanna see more screenshots. I also want to see what Harley Quinn looks like. Please?

TheManWhoLaughs
26th Jan 2009, 20:06
Could you just bring back some information on characters, storyline and gameplay. You know standard stuff? And ask them for when they think it will be ready

DarkBatman
26th Jan 2009, 20:28
is there going to be some different costumes and upgrades?

aceoknaves
26th Jan 2009, 20:39
If possible, I would like some gameplay footage please. I would also like to know what villains are in the game, maybe their concept art too, a release date, and the voice actors please.

BatFan
26th Jan 2009, 21:00
I would love some gameplay footage. Anything from a little clip of 1 minute to 5 minutes of Batman fighting, that's what I'm most interested in. The combat. Some pics of the detective type work to do would be fantastic also, as well as possibly a dev interview with the questions mentioned above.

HystericFreak
26th Jan 2009, 21:13
I'm interested in knowing who's voicing who, and I wanna see more screenshots. I also want to see what Harley Quinn looks like. Please?

Yes, could we get a screeny of Harley? Also, is Arleen Sorkin going to be returning to voice her?

Thanks in advance!

ahutch22
26th Jan 2009, 21:38
Greetings folks,

mycoldman and I are heading on up to Rocksteady Studios this afternoon to meet the team and have a chat about some cool ideas we've got for community related initiatives. If there's anything you'd like to know about the game, or any assets (podcasts, screens, interviews, etc) you'd like to see, please feel free to post them in this thread :thumbsup:

Watch this space!

I guess theres a few questions I would like to ask, ahem...:

1: Will there be a two player Campaign?
2: Roughly how many villians will we see in the game?
3: Will there be online play? If so, how will that work?
4: Is Robin in the game? I already know Batgirl's in it, with her new name...
5: Roughly what age will the game be for? Will the game be adult themed?
6: Finally, what kind off Batman gadgets will we see in the game?

Thanks!

k1ll1ng j0k3
26th Jan 2009, 21:58
Yes, could we get a screeny of Harley? Also, is Arleen Sorkin going to be returning to voice her?

Thanks in advance!
Yeah please! give us some Harley so I can cream on my pants!!

Keir
27th Jan 2009, 13:31
Ha! Awesome response people, very cool :thumb: :cool:

So the good news is mycoldman and I had a really good meeting with Nathan who's a Senior Producer there. He's a top bloke and the Rocksteady guys are a great bunch. As dev studios go, Rocksteady's is kick arse despite being located in north London (remember kids, south > north). It has a really cool interior; grungified metallic fittings everywhere and awesome art on all the walls (most of which I can't show you yet :p ).

http://forums.eidosgames.com/Shhh/rs3.jpg
It's a shame you can't read those Post-It notes on the far wall, if you could you'd know absolutely everything about Batman: Arkham Asylum, it's where they chart out every detail of the development. Old fashioned but a very cool way of working.

There's a main room in which sits a team of over sixty talented individuals with about eighteen monitors each. Then along with the usual meeting rooms (equipped with nice screens and awesome art) they have a music studio adjacent to a sound recording booth, and not forgetting an entire mo-cap studio. More on these later for sure.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/Shhh/rs1.jpg

Anyway, the upshot of the meeting is the team behind the game are dead keen to get their hands dirty in the community and we discussed some plans which we're putting in place now. They're snowed at the moment but watch this space over the next few weeks and we'll aim to get you some really cool stuff.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/Shhh/rs2.jpg

To kick things off, I've nabbed some of the questions from this thread and we'll be answering a few of them in the first community exclusive podcast (which should be live in a couple of weeks or so). Please do keep the questions and suggestions coming, obviously we can't make any guarantees on what we answer/deliver but.... if you don't ask you don't get :rasp:

(PS - In other news... you heard it here first: NEW TRAILER COMING ON THURSDAY... bear with me and I'll give you the when and the where as soon as I can, we love red tape here you see, really, we do).

Kai Rei
27th Jan 2009, 14:09
This. Sound's. AWESOME! :D

chip5541
27th Jan 2009, 15:09
Great news. BTW. if you had only take the picture in higher mega-pixels I could have zoomed in and read the post-its. :mad2:

:D

angleslam99
27th Jan 2009, 17:46
(PS - In other news... you heard it here first: NEW TRAILER COMING ON THURSDAY... bear with me and I'll give you the when and the where as soon as I can, we love red tape here you see, really, we do).

I just creamed my pants

RonnyGreen
27th Jan 2009, 18:07
You're meeting the team? Great!
Can we find out a bit more about the other villains in the game? I'm especially interested to know if The Mad Hatter will appear :)

Bolt Phoenix
27th Jan 2009, 19:21
To kick things off, I've nabbed some of the questions from this thread and we'll be answering a few of them in the first community exclusive podcast (which should be live in a couple of weeks or so). Please do keep the questions and suggestions coming, obviously we can't make any guarantees on what we answer/deliver but.... if you don't ask you don't get :rasp:

Do you think it would be possible to find out what the collectible items will look like? I mean, in the environment while looking for them. If they're giant glowing things that float above the ground right in the player's path that would be extremely lame. If Batman must collect something let is be textured realistically and placed on top of tables or inside of desks. A slight twinkle to catch the player's attention would be fine but lets not set them up like Sonic The Hedgehog's gold rings. xD

[If this information was already posted elsewhere I'm very sorry. I've yet to see anything specific to this question.]

B47M4N
27th Jan 2009, 20:32
Well, they are using the Unreal 3 engine. So i'm sure it'll be realistic looking items. Like for example: Two face's coins would be on top of a table and you could pick em' up by pressing the action button (or whatever button it is). I'm sure it'll be pretty realistic, looking at the fact that it's batman and how dark and serious they're making the game. And even if it is floating items, i wouldn't mind. It's still freaking batman, can you comprehend his awesomeness?

k1ll1ng j0k3
27th Jan 2009, 21:00
Well, they are using the Unreal 3 engine. So i'm sure it'll be realistic looking items. Like for example: Two face's coins would be on top of a table and you could pick em' up by pressing the action button (or whatever button it is). I'm sure it'll be pretty realistic, looking at the fact that it's batman and how dark and serious they're making the game. And even if it is floating items, i wouldn't mind. It's still freaking batman, can you comprehend his awesomeness?
hahaha best line ever! "It's still freaking batman, can you comprehend his awesomeness?" I certainly can, I am a huge batman geek! and It's awesome to see the enthusiasm in all of you!

FrozenInferno
27th Jan 2009, 21:00
Questions:

Exactly how long will the game be?
How many Sub-Bosses/Bosses will there be?
Any DLC, to expand the game later on?
Could you describe the fight mechanic a little more?

HystericFreak
27th Jan 2009, 21:37
Thanks Keir, awesome piccies! Good to see where the magic is made so to speak, looks so neat and tidy. As a random question, are there many women on the team?

Looking forward to the trailer and the podcast though, always good to see a company keeping an eye on the community pulse. More shinies please!

BATtleMAN
27th Jan 2009, 21:45
Does this mean (The trailer on Thursday) that the game might be released soon? Oh and when is the podcast coming again?

BATtleMAN
27th Jan 2009, 21:57
When will the website be up and running? It just loads and then gives an option to the forums or to register.

Oh, and thanks for the info bud, that made my day :thumb:

Drazar
27th Jan 2009, 22:01
Does this mean (The trailer on Thursday) that the game might be released soon? Oh and when is the podcast coming again?

1) No, loads of games have many trailers and so on, i mean we might even get a E3 Trailer out of this game

2) He said in the coming weeks.

bsharifian7
28th Jan 2009, 01:06
-Is there going to be two player co-op?
-Is there going to be a collecters edition? I really want a Batman: AA Joker action figure.
-What kind of music will be in this game?
-Specifics on controls and combat flow

Blak Puddn
28th Jan 2009, 01:31
If there will be a playable demo prior to the games release?

angleslam99
28th Jan 2009, 06:10

Let's hope

Keir
28th Jan 2009, 11:56
It's great to see everyone is excited for the game.. (and it's great to see that the game is awesome). I will do my best to get you answers to all the questions posted in this forum - but please bear in mind that we won't be able to answer everything straight away for various boring reasons (to do with the suits).

That said, there are some great questions here so I'm making a list and checking it twice. I'll go and do some pestering :)

Do you think it would be possible to find out what the collectible items will look like? I mean, in the environment while looking for them. If they're giant glowing things that float above the ground right in the player's path that would be extremely lame. If Batman must collect something let is be textured realistically and placed on top of tables or inside of desks. A slight twinkle to catch the player's attention would be fine but lets not set them up like Sonic The Hedgehog's gold rings. xD

[If this information was already posted elsewhere I'm very sorry. I've yet to see anything specific to this question.]

Is a good question. Don't worry about asking duplicate questions, not a great deal has been answered directly so if you're not sure ask away.

Thanks Keir, awesome piccies! Good to see where the magic is made so to speak, looks so neat and tidy. As a random question, are there many women on the team?

Looking forward to the trailer and the podcast though, always good to see a company keeping an eye on the community pulse. More shinies please!

Being ever resourceful I actually nicked the photos from Rocksteady's site ( :D ). mycoldman did get some photos when we were up there, but they all had embargoed stuff in the background, so we couldn't post them. I'll be sure to get some more from the studio though. And yes, there are a couple of fine young fillies working there.

I know a few of the guys at Rocksteady read this forum on a regular basis. They're obviously busy making the game at the moment so they don't have time to post. But we'll get them involved with the community soonish.

Oh and when is the podcast coming again?

With in a couple of weeks.

When will the website be up and running? It just loads and then gives an option to the forums or to register.

The site is being worked on by the boffins as we speak. It should be up by the end of next month, but it's a bit like Guinness - all good things come to those that wait and all that :)

BATtleMAN
28th Jan 2009, 15:42

Even if there is, I dont think ill play it. I feel it might ruin part of the fun in getting a new game if you already know how to play.

BATtleMAN
28th Jan 2009, 15:45
The site is being worked on by the boffins as we speak. It should be up by the end of next month, but it's a bit like Guinness - all good things come to those that wait and all that :)

Thanks.:o

RabidEasterBunny
28th Jan 2009, 16:07
When is the official site going to be finished?
And will every villan exept The Joker not have their costumes?

The_Hylden
28th Jan 2009, 16:41
When is the official site going to be finished?

The site is being worked on by the boffins as we speak. It should be up by the end of next month

Can't wait:) Looks to be some exciting stuff coming.

angleslam99
28th Jan 2009, 17:57
There will be a trailer tomorrow right?

BATtleMAN
28th Jan 2009, 21:11
Is it to late to suggest a question for Rocksteady?
If it isn't, I was wondering about the variety of the thugs in Arkham Asylum. this could include A.I. quality, but more of how they look. In a couple screenshots, I have noticed that some of the bad guys look exactly the same, and I'm pretty sure they are not supposed to be identical twins:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=84103

(look at the first picture)

DarkBatman
28th Jan 2009, 21:28
Thanks Keir.... :) Also, is there going to be more voice cast from Batman The Animated Series? I would love to see Richard Moll as Two-Face again.

The_Hylden
29th Jan 2009, 05:25
So would I:)

HystericFreak
29th Jan 2009, 05:35
Woo Guinness! Thanks for the updates Keir, helps keep me utterly enthralled. XD

Can't wait for trailer tomorrow, why can't you all be Australian; then it'd be OUT already. *grumbles*

jped81
31st Jan 2009, 03:10
I read in gameinformer that you might be able to play as a villains, like after you complete the game do you know anything about that?

alteremagam
31st Jan 2009, 04:13
I hope they answer this.

What will the riddler look like.

CrashxUae
4th Feb 2009, 18:53
Is there will be any playabel (Demo) for batman arkham asylum ???

DrBo42
4th Feb 2009, 21:45
I believe the game is still in pre-alpha, so discussions about a demo are a bit premature. I'm sure they'd like to, but they have to focus on actually making the game feature complete first. ;)

angleslam99
4th Feb 2009, 22:51
I know this sounds a bit...greedy but any idea when we'll be seeing some new villains like the Riddler?

BATtleMAN
5th Feb 2009, 02:29
Did we ever get the answers to our questions after Keir met the team?

The_Hylden
5th Feb 2009, 03:07
They will comprise said questions with said answers later on in a thread made by them. You can still ask here and they will consider the questions, possibly, for the thread (depending if they've already interviewed the team).

CrashxUae
6th Feb 2009, 15:57
is the story will be all about arkham asylum or not

can i get out from arkham asylum in the game ???

CrashxUae
6th Feb 2009, 16:18
wich time it will release in europe ???

what is the date it will release in europe :hmm:

CrashxUae
6th Feb 2009, 16:21
Is the gripple gun will be free or i can use it only when the game allows me to use it :confused:

Wigglez
6th Feb 2009, 16:42
Is the gripple gun will be free or i can use it only when the game allows me to use it :confused:

You can use it on anything at anytime.

Kraken890
6th Feb 2009, 17:27
I think the grappling gun will be just like the one used in Lost Planet, where you can use it anywhere but it will only hook onto certain things and of course it won't shoot out from the hip.

jhonnyboy
6th Feb 2009, 20:18
According to IGN.com we'll be able to "use your grappling hook in all the places you'd expect to be able to use it" so i would guess that we can use it everywhere :) Here's the link to the full article were they watched a demo of the game.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/949/949536p1.html

CrashxUae
7th Feb 2009, 07:31
yaaho the gripple gun will be free

laned0gg
9th Feb 2009, 07:20
If we can scare our enemies, what will be some of the ways we can do so?

CrashxUae
9th Feb 2009, 15:24
The scaring move it's will be awsome :thumb:

Vitter
27th Feb 2009, 03:11
it´s been a while without updates...

angleslam99
27th Feb 2009, 06:43
podcast?

jondoe297
27th Feb 2009, 11:50
it´s been a while without updates...

I've been in contact a few times with Keir over recent months, he's been really busy with Tomb Raider promotions and community stuff, but has said things will be coming up soon, including the podcast.

I've also got some exciting news as well (fingers crossed things go right), so keep checking out http://www.gothamknightsonline.com over the coming months for again fingers crossed some Batman: Arkham Asylum exclusive's!!!

CrashxUae
4th Mar 2009, 02:00
It's Boring there is no News About the game , Because Eidos and Rocksteady works on Tomb-Raider But we want Batman : Arkham Asylum :( .