PDA

View Full Version : Wow! They need to really fix the combat and camera!

cgtombraider
25th Jan 2009, 00:52
I just got done playing tomb raider anniversary and then i played tomb raider underworld. Wow! Big differences between the two! In anniversary the camera was great and the combat wasn't bad! But then when i played underworld right after i kept getting fustrated! They should have kept the camera and combat from tomb raider anniversary/legend. The aim and shootting buttons should have be left at the top of the controller like before. The camera should have been placed farther from lara so it wouldn't clip into things and get in the way. Also in platforming in Anniversary the camera would shift farther away from lara so you can a lot more! Underworld doens't! I noticed that in the Part of the Medditeranean level with the poles when you are trying to escape. The combat issues with me were the camera being too close to lara the dual targeting and it felt constricted. Like in anniversary if felt fluid and easier to perform flips but in underworld it didn't! The shooting in angel of darkness was better than this! Also i hated that you couldn't even see lara shooting! I mean like she can't face the camera and shoot at the same time like in legen/anniversary! And another thing was that lara kept getting stuck on the enviroment! Uhhh! I hope the next tomb raider game is improved with this and is still developed by crystal dynamics and doens't make lara into a slut!:eek:

I DIDN'T MEAN IT THAT WAY OF LARA BEING A SLUT BECAUSE OF COMBAT!!!! I MEANT THAT THERE ARE RUMORS OF LARA BEING NUDE IN THE NEXT TOMB RAIDER GAME!!!!!!!!:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Dr.Willard
25th Jan 2009, 00:54
I can relate to this, because I found that there more fluency to the combat system in Anniversary in comparison to Underworld's combat system.

rg_001100
25th Jan 2009, 00:58
I just got done playing tomb raider anniversary and then i played tomb raider underworld. Wow! Big differences between the two! In anniversary the camera was great and the combat wasn't bad! But then when i played underworld right after i kept getting fustrated! They should have kept the camera and combat from tomb raider anniversary/legend. The aim and shootting buttons should have be left at the top of the controller like before. The camera should have been placed farther from lara so it wouldn't clip into things and get in the way. Also in platforming in Anniversary the camera would shift farther away from lara so you can a lot more! Underworld doens't! I noticed that in the Part of the Medditeranean level with the poles when you are trying to escape. The combat issues with me were the camera being too close to lara the dual targeting and it felt constricted. Like in anniversary if felt fluid and easier to perform flips but in underworld it didn't!
Yep, camera is pretty close to Lara in all 3 games. Camera is also pretty good in all 3 games, and could be better in all 3 games...
I think the combat was better in TR:U than TR:A, although TR:A does have some things in the combat that were better than TR:U.

The shooting in angel of darkness was better than this! Also i hated that you couldn't even see lara shooting! I mean like she can't face the camera and shoot at the same time like in legen/anniversary! And another thing was that lara kept getting stuck on the enviroment! Uhhh! I hope the next tomb raider game is improved with this and is still developed by crystal dynamics and doens't make lara into a slut!:eek:
lol, if the shooting in AoD was better than in TR:U, it doesn't follow through on any other combat/movement related aspect.
Can't see Lara shooting? That's not a big deal. It's how they used the camera for combat in TR:U, it locks on so that you can see what you're shooting at...
How does combat make Lara "a slut"? :scratch:

Dr.Willard
25th Jan 2009, 01:01
lol Rg, I was wondering why the slut comment was chucked in there hahha but whatever.

Sometimes I found it a struggle to actually evade and battle enemies in Underworld and that's not in a good way. I thought that a hybrid of the enemy AI of Underworld and the fluency of her evasive movements in Anniversary would of been better.

rg_001100
25th Jan 2009, 01:03
'Evasion' was pretty bad in TR:A as well, I think. The jumping was not as high as it was in the Core games. Nor as, um, slow and heavy as it was in the Core games...

Dr.Willard
25th Jan 2009, 01:06
I actually found the evasion in Anniversary to be too good come to think of it; I felt as though I couldn't be touched half of the time. However, that could be partially blamed on the AI I suppose.

LC is Me
25th Jan 2009, 01:35
She kicked someone in the face? What a skank...

She did a backflip of someone's head and shot them in the face? That whore...
:rolleyes:

Combat could be a little better. And the camera, we all can agree on, NEEDS improvement.
(I also triggered a different way to use adrenaline in the 360 version. Or maybe I'm just slow and didn't read the manual majigger-thing. Clicking in the right stick will slow down movement and you can do whatever in the "dodge". But I find a regular adrenaline dodge better and more affective. d: If I'm late at realizing this, just don't comment about that. :D)

rg_001100
25th Jan 2009, 01:40
(I also triggered a different way to use adrenaline in the 360 version. Or maybe I'm just slow and didn't read the manual majigger-thing. Clicking in the right stick will slow down movement and you can do whatever in the "dodge". But I find a regular adrenaline dodge better and more affective. d: If I'm late at realizing this, just don't comment about that. :D)

I activated that a few times accidently because of the right-stick-click button position. I used it other times when I still had an enemy, but not a full adrenaline bar. The headshot was far more powerful. Perhaps a little too powerful, because against a pair of Thralls it was effective to Headshot one, and melee the other one to death (restoring the adrenaline through doing so), rather than shoot at them.

josh1122
25th Jan 2009, 01:47
I never had a problem with the adrenaline move on the 360, dont think i even messed up one of them :scratch:

rg_001100
25th Jan 2009, 01:51
I never had a problem with the adrenaline move on the 360, dont think i even messed up one of them :scratch:

I played the game on PC, with a 360 wireless gamepad. The headshots were a lot easier with the gamepad than with the mouse, because the gamepad's reticule can move constantly whereas the mouse was, well, it took a lot of moving to get the reticule on the target in time. Barely made it with the mouse, but made almost every one with the gamepad. (Odd pressing of the shoot button too early, etc. messed me up).

Load
25th Jan 2009, 02:44
I DIDN'T MEAN IT THAT WAY OF LARA BEING A SLUT BECAUSE OF COMBAT!!!! I MEANT THAT THERE ARE RUMORS OF LARA BEING NUDE IN THE NEXT TOMB RAIDER GAME!!!!!!!!:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

I highly doubt those rumors are true.

Anyway, I didnt really have many problems with the camera, and although the controls bothered me so much at first, I easily got used to them.
And I found the adrenaline headshot quite hard actually. I could never get it in the circle in time. I personally think they should have brought back anniversary's headshot, or maybe even Legend's, which was somewhat like an adrenaline headshot.

rg_001100
25th Jan 2009, 02:51
I highly doubt those rumors are true.

'Those rumours' are based on comments made by Eric Lindstrom on TRF, when he was talking about blood/violence, I think it was. The nudity thing came from someone going off comments about a possible "mature" rating...