PDA

View Full Version : ttlg.com down?

Pages : [1] 2

Taffer_Boy_Elvis
8th Mar 2008, 22:07
Didn't want to bump a 4 year old thread, so I thought I would start a new one.

When's TTLG coming back online?

prjames
17th Jan 2009, 12:24
Whither ttlg.com? It's acting like it's down - I tried 12 hours ago, and I tried now - and no response.

- prjames

BrokenArts
17th Jan 2009, 14:47
Yup

ffox
17th Jan 2009, 15:04
Still down. :(

Edit @17:05 GMT - back up now.

Rommel_1891
17th Jan 2009, 18:42
Thief-thecircle.com was down for a while yesterday too... a sad day it was for taffers. :(

;)

prjames
17th Jan 2009, 20:04
Good news - ttlg.com is back up! :D

- prjames

Yandros
22nd Jan 2009, 16:18
Thief-thecircle.com was down for a while yesterday too... a sad day it was for taffers. :(
They're on the same server. ;)

Shadow Creepr
22nd Jan 2009, 23:31
Since Dave is working on updating the new version of vBulletin, there may be periodic down times.

Fig455
23rd Jan 2009, 01:33
I STILL cannot access TTLG...:mad2:

BrokenArts
23rd Jan 2009, 10:05
It'll be back up soon enough. I have a hard time believing that an update can keep it down for this long.

Fig455
23rd Jan 2009, 14:57
Still nothin'. 10:00 am EST.

R_Soul
23rd Jan 2009, 15:08
I always find it odd that people need to ask if it's down when it clearly is.
:hmm:

yubetcha
23rd Jan 2009, 15:34
It does seem to go down on us often :D

Kamyk
23rd Jan 2009, 22:57
I can see it is obviously down... What I want to know is what kind of down. Is it "We are updating the site" down, "We are experiencing technical difficulties beyond our control" down, or is it "OMG we got hit by another ice storm and the server is trash" down? I haven't been able to access ttlg for over 24 hours now...:hmm:

Fig455
23rd Jan 2009, 23:10
I haven't been able to access ttlg for over 24 hours now...:hmm:

Been nearly 2 days for me. :mad2:

Kamyk
23rd Jan 2009, 23:20
Heh, so where do taffers lost in the wilds of netland go in times like these anyways? Here doesn't seem very active...

hardbop
24th Jan 2009, 00:03
Last time I got through was Wednesday night. Going on 48 hrs now I think. :(

Can't ping the box either (206.135.105.20), so it looks like the computer might be down and its not just a website configuration/upgrade situation.

jtr7
24th Jan 2009, 00:08
I'm hoping the server's being rebuilt, and all the files that were lost in the other server crash being copied from the backup discs. My guesses usually end up being wrong, though.:p

Kamyk
24th Jan 2009, 00:19
Hey jtr7 :) Well I hope your guess isn't wrong in this case. I am nervously chewing my fingernails over the notion that ttlg went down for the count... I mean, it's only like one of my two tabbed homepages is all...:(

jtr7
24th Jan 2009, 00:28
Heh heh. As a professed TTLG addict, the withdrawal has left me staring at the screen in a vegetative state (great exaggeration...okay...slight exaggeration). Since many members, mods, and administrators have contact outside of TTLG, the silence about what's actually happening is almost unnecessarily cruel.:nut:

Kamyk
24th Jan 2009, 00:33
Heh, ditto on the vegetative staring, and agreed on the cruelty lol. It leads to a variation of an old joke... "How do you keep a Taffer in suspense?" "Shut down TTLG"

twisty
24th Jan 2009, 00:34
Heh, so where do taffers lost in the wilds of netland go in times like these anyways? Here doesn't seem very active...
Funny you ask that but this is around the only time that I post in here these days.

When I used to frequent this forum back in the old days, it was very active and had a great community spirit about it. That's not to undervalue what it is like today; it's just that I am unqualified to comment on what this forum is like nowadays, apart from the reduced post count, as I visit here so rarely.

I stopped coming here around the time that Thief 3 was released.

Kamyk
24th Jan 2009, 00:36
I'd heard this forum used to be pretty active once. Something like ttlg competition :) Guess ttlg won, which kinda sucks in situations like this... I'm about to use babelfish on Clearing's site, and see if they know anything, lol.

Edit:Nope...

Stingm
24th Jan 2009, 04:09
Doe anyone have any idea when ttlg.com will be back up? Its been down for days now and new missions were due out. Thanks for any information!

jtr7
24th Jan 2009, 04:12
Nope. No one who knows anything has said a word.

ShadowSneaker
24th Jan 2009, 04:23
Which new missions, Stingm?

SS

jtr7
24th Jan 2009, 06:52
Any new missions can be announced on these boards, and wouldn't the kind host sites outside of TTLG/TheCircle have already mirrored the latest releases? The authors could send the hosts e-mails if they want to get an FM to us.

In the meantime:
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:RyTd2BHNTOwJ:www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D109278+%22authors:+Queue+,+R+Soul+,+Sensut+,+SlyFoxx+,+The+Watcher%22&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1

ghost_in_the_shell
24th Jan 2009, 12:58
It's still inaccessible :( so I registered here in a meanwhile...
My PC becomes quite boring without ttlg :hmm:
It's down for many hours, I hope nothing serious happened there.

pwlmabr
24th Jan 2009, 15:20
Hello all I just tried and the site is still down!! It would be nice to get some kind of news as to what is wrong:confused:

BrokenArts
24th Jan 2009, 15:29
Well sometimes the powers that be would venture over here and give us an update. MsLedd, possibly fett. No dice thus far.

I am a bit surprised Dave hasn't put his temp server up, which is this. http://206.135.105.20/forums/ I keep checking both links. http://www.ttlg.com/forums/

Yeah, the forum was a prime place back in the day, the die hards still haunt the halls around here. The original people on here are top notch, no bull, just a bunch of nice people. We told many stories, had a lot of fun. Only thing about here, you can't say whatever you pretty much want to, as you can on TTLG, *almost*. This is a company forum, rulezs is rules. I like both places, and will always come here, for as long as some of them are still here, and its still up.

When TTLG is down, people venture over here. Some of them anyway. There are other sub forums, to get our thiefy fix.

Vlad Midnight
24th Jan 2009, 15:36
Thats the IP address to TTLG so its the same server. I think theres something like a DNS server which could go down and then the numbers would work.

http://209.85.171.100/ Google for example.

BrokenArts
24th Jan 2009, 15:38
No its not. That is Dave's temp server when the other URL is down, and this one. http://www.awesomeexpress.com/ He's had it up before.

Vlad Midnight
24th Jan 2009, 15:50
Not fighting, but yes it is. Its the same server.

206.135.105.20, this is not an alternate, its TTLG

Check it out for yourself here
http://www.zoneedit.com/lookup.html
or if you want to get fancy.
64.85.73.41/lookup.html

Taffer_Boy_Elvis
24th Jan 2009, 16:27
Saam's asleep at the switch again. :( :mad2:

edit-didn't see the new thread. I shot before looking ;)

Nightwalker
24th Jan 2009, 16:38
I emailed Digi and even he doesn't know what's wrong. He's waiting to hear from Saam, who's the only one with access to the server. Hopefully it will be sorted out soon as I'm suffering from severe withdrawal symptoms!

Sxerks
24th Jan 2009, 16:46
well, if you're bored, you can always go play on the wiki (http://thief.wikia.com/)

BrokenArts
24th Jan 2009, 17:01
Thanks for letting us know NightWalker. Sheesh, I REALLY wish they would get a back up server. This has happened before. It just gets a bit ridiculous sometimes. Oh well. :rolleyes:

qolelis
24th Jan 2009, 17:05
Hopefully it will be sorted out soon as I'm suffering from severe withdrawal symptoms!

You are not alone. A positive thing is that this makes me appreciate ttlg even more - when it's up - and not taking it for granted. If this is what life is without ttlg, I don't want it to ever go down again. OK, so I may be exaggerating (or so I hope) just a little, but I've grown used to logging into ttlg every day, checking out what's new (FMs, tech stuff etc...) and then I logout, work with DromEd for a few hours and then login to ttlg once again before going to bed. Now with ttlg down I've had a hard time getting started with DromEd, because the chain is broken.

brethren
24th Jan 2009, 17:31
Surprised David hasn't put up a temporary message or a link to a temporary forum yet, must be a good reason for it. Hopefully it's not a bad one.

Isn't www.awesomeexpress.com his personal site, I'm surprised that's down also. Anyone try emailing him or maybe GBM, MsLedd?

Btw, I put up a substitute forum for times like this at www.southquarter.com/ttlg, but since many TTLG users are registered here, it seems to make more sense to keep activity on these forums.

canetoad
24th Jan 2009, 18:59
I'm first (or maybe second) to use the Southquarter temp forum, thanks for putting it up.

I'm replaying TTGM and need some help if anyone would check the FM threads there. Going absolutely batty waiting for TTLG to come back online.:wave:

R_Soul
24th Jan 2009, 19:14
Maybe Saam cut the blue wire instead of the red one.

Belboz
24th Jan 2009, 20:45
I've been finding it near impossible to connect to any USA server, they always seam to timeout, getting to this forum took 10 minutes for it to load and am on a 8mb connection.

There also seams to be a problem with the driver in win xp service pack 3 for the IPSec Services on my machine. There's no help page on microsoft.com that explains what exactly is wrong just a bunch of gobblegook.:mad2:

Stingm
24th Jan 2009, 22:54
There are 2 or 3 in beta and I thought they may come out. I checked the other sites and southquarter has a bit of info. Thanks for the information!

SneakyJack
24th Jan 2009, 23:39
I read about a giant DDoS attack on Network Solutions that affected millions of sites - but I doubt that has anything to do with what happened to TTLG this time.

I don't know if they need a new host or what - but going down multiple times each month for a day or more at a time is crazy in website uptime terms. That being said, I'm also just glad that the TTLG community exists, so I'm not going to jab it too hard.

I think I'm just bitter because I've done screenshots for four or five fan missions in the time its been down and I want to post them :(

jtr7
24th Jan 2009, 23:45
...going down multiple times each month for a day or more at a time...

The problem might be on your end, it hasn't been anywhere near that bad!:eek:

:D

If you want to share the images, you can post them here, too.

SneakyJack
24th Jan 2009, 23:50
The problem might be on your end, it hasn't been anywhere near that bad!:eek:

If you want to share the images, you can post them here, too.

I may have talked it up a bit, but I know ttlg.com goes down much more often than any other site I know of.

My company just phased out our webhosting arm so I can't offer any help in changing hosts - but it really is pretty bad. I've been lurking there for years before signing up and I know that at least once every two months its down for a day or more. As far as website uptime goes - thats still pretty bad.

But again, its one of the best communities out there - so I wait for them to come back online like everyone else. :thumb:

Fig455
24th Jan 2009, 23:56
Message from Dave I found @ #thief via mIRC
http://web.mac.com/davidcornish/stuff/ttlg.txt

THey want Money for a new commercial host and won't be back up until they get like $1000

Make that 1000 pounds

SneakyJack
25th Jan 2009, 00:02
I'm willing to throw in a few bucks to help the cause. Although, I doubt they are looking for that kind of dough BEFORE they go back up - I don't see how they'd be able to raise the funds without reaching the target audience with their plea.

jtr7
25th Jan 2009, 00:08
That's about US $1,284.80.

I don't know if 80 to 120 people are up for helping out. I know I am, but I wonder if this means paid membership fees from now on. That would certainly keep 99.999% of the spammers away.

Where's the PayPal button for this?

Fig455
25th Jan 2009, 00:16
Where's the PayPal button for this?

Exactly. I want to throw cash their way, but HOW?

BrokenArts
25th Jan 2009, 00:25
David needs to put his temp site back up, and somehow put the paypal up on that. I've donated before to TTLG, he could do it there. Just a thought.

This is big news, makes sense, and its about time too. It will be worth it in the long run for better stability for the forum.

jtr7
25th Jan 2009, 00:26
In case the announcement linked in the other thread isn't noticed:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=933994&postcount=87

BrokenArts
25th Jan 2009, 00:28
This thread should be merged with the one in comm chat, no need for two of these.

jtr7
25th Jan 2009, 00:30
I forgot to say thanks, Fig455.:thumb:

R_Soul
25th Jan 2009, 00:32
I imagine we'll have to wait until the forum's back before knowing how many people would be willing to chip in. I know I am :)

Fig455
25th Jan 2009, 00:46
I forgot to say thanks, Fig455.:thumb:

Yeah, you are welcome everyone. Just doing what any of the rest of you would, though.

SneakyJack
25th Jan 2009, 01:32
Am I hallucinating or did a whole page of posts just disappear?

Edit: Maybe I am.

jtr7
25th Jan 2009, 01:36
Yeah, thread-merge.:nut:

SneakyJack
25th Jan 2009, 01:44
Well, if ttlg does ever come back I've got 6 missions worth of screenshots to share.

:lmao:

BrokenArts
25th Jan 2009, 02:01
I think they took my suggestion about merging? Who knows.

Anyway, SneakyJack, you may as well post those screenshots! Give us something to discuss. I still call this place home away from home.

Fig455
25th Jan 2009, 02:35
Thanks for linking my post.

SneakyJack
25th Jan 2009, 02:43
I think they took my suggestion about merging? Who knows.

Anyway, SneakyJack, you may as well post those screenshots! Give us something to discuss. I still call this place home away from home.

Where should I post them here? The fan mission forum?

I asked the mods at ttlg for permission before starting the last one, I don't want to ruffle any feathers here either. :hmm:

I don't want to start another megathread for them elsewhere - im afraid I'd abandon it once ttlg was back online.

During the time ttlg has been offline I've collected and processed 8 screenshots each for The Ashen Age, Broken Triad, Ominous Bequest, The Seven Sisters, In Dubio Pro Garrett, and Horns Of Canzo: A Long Way Up. I had way too much free time this weekend.

Fig455
25th Jan 2009, 03:07
I suggest The fan mission forum.

jtr7
25th Jan 2009, 03:07
Thanks for linking my post.

Of course it makes no sense now after the thread-merge.:p

Nightwalker
25th Jan 2009, 03:37
I'd definitely contribute. I've donated before and consider it money well spent. I'd much rather have the forums up and reliable than spend money on a lot of other things. I'm sure if this is the plan, they'll let us know how to get the money to them.

theBlackman
25th Jan 2009, 06:14
I don't use credit cards (not since 1970) but I'd be happy to mail a check.

brethren
25th Jan 2009, 07:39
Just to be clear, there's nothing in David's post that says TTLG won't go up again until they get the $1000 (or whatever the amount ends up being), so that is just misinformation. If it were so, the post would contain info on who and where to send money to. I'm guessing the site will go back up in the next couple of days, and the plan will be to move to dedicated hosting in the not-too-distant future.

In any case, I've also donated before, and I will again. Money well spent.

Yandros
25th Jan 2009, 14:58
I too would donate happily. And someone at my forums said he would contribute $100 towards the cause, which is 8% of the first years' cost from a single TTLGer, so I'm sure they would get the support they need.

cavador_8
25th Jan 2009, 16:05
Why don't we just start posting here instead of TTLG? What would be so wrong with that? The Eidos forum is always up. It's free here too.

BrokenArts
25th Jan 2009, 16:11
You can do both, I always check this forum out to see what is going on. It would be nice to see an influx of new people around here. :) Welcome to all that registered recently, and to those that haven't posted in ages.

littlek
25th Jan 2009, 16:13
What? Donate to a forum whose members dish out abuse like a hoard of army ants on a hapless grasshopper! Count me in. :scratch:

SneakyJack
25th Jan 2009, 16:18
What? Donate to a forum whose members dish out abuse like a hoard of army ants on a hapless grasshopper! Count me in. :scratch:

I've never seen anyone abuse anyone else at ttlg, at least not in the thief forums.

BrokenArts
25th Jan 2009, 16:20
Then you havent' ventured into comm chat on TTLG, it can be a battle ground. I've watched for a long time in there. Oh yes, they can be opinionated for sure, and bastards at times. Thats not tolerated here, but, sometimes they do have some really good discussions going. Depends on your taste.

Take things with a grain of salt, choose your battles, some I just stay out of, let the so called know it alls have their wannabe glory. The intelligent discussions are worthy sometimes, that I like. I just don't like the arrogant bullcrap, they can really be harsh at time, the way they dish it out. Gets old.

Again, things tend to be a bit *nicer* around here. I think tBM and Peter are a bit more, shall I say, *lenient* here. They know us.
You go into comm chat forum on this site, you say one wrong thing even remotely negative, they frown upon that. I guess TTLG has rubbed off on me. :p

I tend to stay here in Thief on Eidos, comm chat Eidos is TOO nice for me, sickening syrupy sweet sometimes. Just all depends on your taste.
This site is a commercial site, TTLG is not a company site, the reason why people can get away with more around there.

Thief areas in TTLG are fine, for the most part. Its a good community all around, here on Eidos, and on TTLG. Keep em' both!

SneakyJack
25th Jan 2009, 16:46
I've never ventured into the community chat due to having other forums for that need that are much bigger and more active - I've stuck to the thief specific forums, something I'll continue to do after reading your review. ;)

Both forums' thief sections seem like ghost towns nowadays - usually an hour or so between posts even in the 'general fan mission discussion megathread' that I created trying to spur activity - I got tired of reading the same old posts over and over. :lol:

Oh well. I guess I'll wait another day or two to see if ttlg is going to get their stuff together - and if not, I'll continue my thief fanboy-ism here.

Taking nothing away from this forum, of course - for an "official" forum it seems much better than most.

R_Soul
25th Jan 2009, 17:20
I wonder what has become of all those people who have Dromed questions?

If you type Dromed forum in Google, the third result, and the first not to refer to TTLG, is for the one on this site, which has only had 1 new thread since TTLG went down.

You go into comm chat forum on this site, you say one wrong thing even remotely negative, they frown upon that. I guess TTLG has rubbed off on me. :p
Hah, that Inauguration Day thread didn't last long.

Nightwalker
25th Jan 2009, 17:31
I'm quite sure TTLG WILL be back so don't give up on it. It hasn't been down all that long! As I understand it, the current server is in a private business office so it's possible that it will be dealt with Monday when people head back to work.

As for the Thief forums not being quite as busy, there's usually a lull after Christmas but it'll pick up again.

Stingm
25th Jan 2009, 17:42
Count My wife and I in. The economy is bad and we are watching the money, but will give what we can. This is the best community around and you guys are always there to help us taffers. The least we can do is donate a few bucks. :o)

sangboy
25th Jan 2009, 17:47
I would happily donate a few dollars for the cause if help is needed. The Circle and Thief FM forum are bookmarked on my browser.

SneakyJack
25th Jan 2009, 18:14
While we're patiently waiting for TTLG to return to form I thought this would be something funny to post - I don't want to make a whole new thread for it due to it not really warranting one, but it might give us something to kick around in this thread while we wait?

Anyway, I took a shot of a Thief 2 original mission and compared it to one of the most striking fan missions "The Ashen Age" by Sliptip. Its amazing to see how far this fan mission community has come and how far they have taken dromed from a purely aesthetic sense even:

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/sneakyjack/compare1.jpg

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/sneakyjack/compare2.jpg

They look like two separate engines :eek:

BrokenArts
25th Jan 2009, 18:24
Nice comparison there SneakyJack. I wonder what is thee most versatile engine out there? This has to be one of them, who would of ever dreamed we could do what we do today in dromed!

BrokenArts
25th Jan 2009, 18:28
I do hope some of the new people that have posted, and ventured in, will stick around. :)

qolelis
25th Jan 2009, 18:44
Why don't we just start posting here instead of TTLG? What would be so wrong with that? The Eidos forum is always up. It's free here too.

My time is limited, so I had to choose one forum to invest it in. Most info (on DromEd for example) is at TTLG, so that's what I chose.

comm chat Eidos is TOO nice for me, sickening syrupy sweet sometimes

This description makes me want to stay at TTLG.

I guess I could post here now that TTLG is down, though, if I have anything of interest to share, that is. Any future announcements could be made at both places, I guess.

pwlmabr
25th Jan 2009, 18:55
I would also donate to the cause toget ttlg back not to say I would abandon Eidos forum. I get a lot of great info for the other games from here!!

P.S. I use just (pwl) @ ttlg. It is good to see other familiar names here too! Hello ALL TAFFERS

SneakyJack
25th Jan 2009, 19:27
Nice comparison there SneakyJack. I wonder what is thee most versatile engine out there? This has to be one of them, who would of ever dreamed we could do what we do today in dromed!

I'd have to say that the Dark Engine has to be up there in the list. I don't know if any of the original game creators have played some of the more incredible fan missions (Broken Triad, Rocksbourg 3, Mission X) where the engine has done things no one probably originally dreamed possible.. It'd be nice to have a reaction or two from the original engines creators.

Tannar
25th Jan 2009, 19:37
I will also gladly contribute to the cause.

SneakyJack
25th Jan 2009, 20:54
Well, this forum seems just as dead as TTLG usually is. :lol:

Daveh
25th Jan 2009, 20:57
Ok, here's the skinny.

The server has gone down, and I don't know why. Saam, who along with Digi, is one of the founders of TTLG and hosts the site on his business line for free. It's on it's own server, but because we have no income, it is little more than a standard PC, and for the last week or so it's been a bit flaky.

Anyway, Saam appears to have gone AWOL as of Wednesday, and the server went down on Thursday. It also appears that his cell phone is off. And to make matters slightly worse, I am on the other side of the planet.

Anyway, once Saam returns, gives the server a kick, TTLG should come back online.

We will then be looking for some donations (which I hate doing) to move TTLG to a commercial host along with all the other sites and stuff in the text file I wrote that someone posted earlier ( http://web.mac.com/davidcornish/stuff/ttlg.txt ) including giving the donators something in return. Email addresses, hosting, custom titles, FM Beta Forums, custom colourschemes - that sort of thing.

We may have some money in our account already, but Saam controls that and I don't know the status of it. I bought the recent forum upgrade myself as Saam wasn't around then, so it could be empty, or it may have a few bucks in it.

The hosting I am looking it is a dedicated server with root access, 4GB of RAM, 2TB of transfer on a shared 100mbps connection. Ideal for TTLG and my various plans. Or it would be if it wasn't for the £120 a month charge. Thankfully this i a good time to be buying UK hosting as the £ is doing so badly against the dollar and the euro it makes donating cheaper! £10 = €10/$13, whereas in 2007 £10 = €15/$20

Finally, the usual temporary forum is not up as I foolishly did not renew the hosting thinking I would not need it until I redid my own site, AwesomeExpress. What a stupid idea that turned out to be.

I know this sucks, and I'm terribly sorry. I find it incredibly frustrating to be sitting here in the UK utterly powerless to do anything to bring TTLG back.

David

SneakyJack
25th Jan 2009, 21:15
Thanks for the update, as bleak as it may be. :(

Hopefully everything does not get lost that was on that server or someone has a backup - if not, thats where the real problem will begin. Years worth of posts kinda thing.

Daveh
25th Jan 2009, 22:01
Whilst I haven't checked it for integrity yet, I do have a backup of the forum database from about a week ago.

jtr7
25th Jan 2009, 22:07
Thanks Dave.:)

SneakyJack
25th Jan 2009, 22:10
Whilst I haven't checked it for integrity yet, I do have a backup of the forum database from about a week ago.

That is great news :)

Shadow Creepr
25th Jan 2009, 22:19
Thanks for the update, David. Hopefully getting the forums moved to a commercial host can sort out all the issues you have been having to deal with. I appreciate all of the work that you put into keeping TTLG running and I will be happy to chip in. :)

Judith
25th Jan 2009, 22:28
That's both good and bad news indeed. Bad news is that I'm having a withdrawal syndrome :D Actually I'm happy that you finally decided to move to a professional hosting. Master Builder Store uses a Hostican (http://www.hostican.com/)server, they seem to have good offers, even for the individuals. My income is a joke in terms what you people earn in the west ;) and still it was affordable for me. But they're in US.

BrokenArts
25th Jan 2009, 22:39
Hi Dave, thanks for stopping by and giving us the skinny of things. It sucks, but, we're here. I am glad we all can get an update.

In the long run, the hassle now will be worth the trouble of moving things to a more stable server. We'll be here, sorry you all have to go through that. You'll get the support you need. I'll chip in too. Thanks Dave.

nightshifter
25th Jan 2009, 22:40
thanks for the update dave..
good to know what is going on. I would be happy to chip in allso

moghedian
25th Jan 2009, 23:21
Thank you for the update. Hopefully Saam will be back soon since he controls both the paypal account and the server.

I'd also be willing to contribute. Even if I don't post much any more, the forum always has been a great place to lurk :cool:

brethren
25th Jan 2009, 23:39
Sounds a bit ominous that no one can even reach Saam, and his cell phone is off. It also doesn't seem to bode well that TTLG was run on his business server - what business sever can be down for 5+ days? I hope everything is OK.

Always been a bit perplexed as to what Saam's continuing interest in TTLG is anyway, he doesn't post or seem to be that involved in the community, and the board obviously isn't making any money. I'm sure he has his reasons though.

jtr7
25th Jan 2009, 23:46
The business site is running fine, so it's like Dave said, that TTLG has its own server, it's just running on the business line. Yeah, it's pretty hard not to think something bad has happened.

moghedian
26th Jan 2009, 00:01
I'd always supposed that Saam started ttlg due to being a thief-fan like the rest of us. As far as his continuation of it *shrug* maybe he is still a thief fan ??

Isn't ephotocraft his family's business ? If so, it is still operational, which is good news

http://www.ephotocraft.com/

SneakyJack
26th Jan 2009, 00:14
I'm looking forward to TTLG being back online at any rate - I've played through, processed screenshots and wrote a review for more than a dozen missions this weekend so far :lol: I know how it feels to be the one running the community but not having access to the servers when something bad happens, and you can't reach the person in charge - the powerless feeling is one of the worst.

Hopefully it'll all work out and we'll be back to posting in no time.

jtr7
26th Jan 2009, 00:29
About ttlg.com:

Through the Looking Glass, (TTLG) originated back around '96, as The Unofficial System Shock Homepage, founded by Saam Tariverdi. In time, this site would take on a second staff member, Daniel Todd, change its name to The TriOptimum Corporate Network, and then close down, as the two men who ran it moved on to bigger and better things.

Farewell, TriOptimum - 12:30am EST - Saam & Dan
Well boys and girls, after almost 2 years, it's finally time to shut the doors on TriOptimum: The Unofficial System Shock Page. It's been one heck of a ride, let me tell you. As founder of TriOp, I'm happy to say that because of this page and of your support, I've moved on to bigger and better things (TTLG). Not only did my dream of a System Shock sequel come true, it has exceeded my expectations. If you were a reader of my page since the very beginning, you know that I was running a System Shock 2 petition for over a year, finally getting over 1,000 signings, something which I'm terribly proud of.

Belboz
26th Jan 2009, 04:42
Well you wont get any fan missions out of me, due to someone sending me a virus that distroyed all my fan making mission files back in 2003, then low formated my hard drive so I could not use disk drive recovery programs. all I got is my notebooks, and the backups I keep online at a hidden location.

the c##p was I didn't create mission in the way that someone wanted, therefore they made sure I didn't make anymore. I also seamed to get blocked from the ttlg site for about 2 years.

There now you know what happened to breach fort, and the tower of the moon campaign. breach fort was basicaly an undead mission and the tower of the moon stuff was doing missions for a talking magic book who liked to drink alot and hated frogs, the ribbit ribbit type.

am currently broke, so I can't help support ttlg, I don't even have the £10 quid they want.

Kamyk
26th Jan 2009, 06:44
I will echo the nitpicking about some of ttlg being more than a bit rude and ignorant (I for one prefer polite intelligent conversation to snide, one-upsmanship), but regardless, the Thief sub-forums there have become like a little slice of net-home to me (and seem to mostly be a flame free zone). I will gladly donate to keep ttlg up and running as a free resource as soon as I have the $$$ and a link for paypal.

Subjective Effect
26th Jan 2009, 10:22
This forum seems to have been dead until this event.

Ah, TTLG, where would we be without you? Here it seems. :lol:

jtr7
26th Jan 2009, 11:23
And even then, barely a trickle.

Kamyk
26th Jan 2009, 11:27
Kind of sad really. Perhaps I'll still come here as well, after ttlg is back up. I do see a few die hards do post here...

The barely a trickle part... It leads me to wonder just exactly where all the taffers do go? Could it be... Nah, never... But, perhaps, just perhaps... They found out they have lives... (gasp) offline? :eek: Nah, couldn't be... (I know I don't). They are all off in some private irc channel somewhere laughing at the uninvited...

Edit:Ahh, I know... They have all joined IMVU, or Secondlife! O.O Or, or worse yet... W.O.W.!

(Lol, don't mind the weird humor, I'm tired).

twisty
26th Jan 2009, 12:22
the c##p was I didn't create mission in the way that someone wanted, therefore they made sure I didn't make anymore. I also seamed to get blocked from the ttlg site for about 2 years.
I highly doubt that there was any concerted effort to try and thwart you from creating FMs "the way that someone wanted". You made some excellent FMs Belboz but not so revolutionary as to threaten the very foundation of TTLG; that "they" would attempt to block you from visiting the forums, or create any more FMs.

I can definitely sympathise with some of the reasons why you stopped making FMs after losing all of your hard work to a virus though. I also quit after a similar situation, except that the fault was purely mine -- having completed 80% of an FM "The Small Hours" I decided to backup my HDD and then re-format, and some time later I accidentally stepped on and broke the backup CD. That was 6-8 months of work down the drain, from memory, and I never regained enough free-time to warrant a resurrection of the project.

Subjective Effect
26th Jan 2009, 13:03
Convert to The Dark Mod.

Convert.

Convert.

You will be converted.

BrokenArts
26th Jan 2009, 13:08
The Dark mod looks awesome, tis the future of Thief! I'm testing it. Now back to your regularly schedule b!tching about the forum being down.

Subjective Effect
26th Jan 2009, 13:26
I'm cleaning up my HDs (how DO they get so full!?) and then reinstalling D3 for it over the next few days.

No matter what games come on the horizon I'm still waiting for this. Eagerly.

BrokenArts
26th Jan 2009, 13:32
You won't be disappointed, trust me. Yeah we know what that means when people say that. Seriously, its awesome. It has a ways to go yet, but, everyday, those dedicated guys are doing something. It will be worth the wait.

Subject, have you played St.Lucia yet? I'm assuming you haven't since you are reinstalling. It was released not too long ago, its nicely done.
There is the Thiefs Den, thats more an Alpha, St. Lucia is beta, lots of progress was made in St. Lucia.

yubetcha
26th Jan 2009, 14:26
I've never seen anyone abuse anyone else at ttlg, at least not in the thief forums.

I have. There is one person in particular in mind, and it's been said by others that he has been doing it for a long time

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 14:37
Convert to The Dark Mod.

Convert.

Convert.

You will be converted.

Well at least give me a chance to finish this mess-of-a-mission before taking Dromed outback and shooting it.

And when you do, shoot it twice for me.

...of course I registered here over a year ago, and can't remember my password, nor does the the "Forgot Your Password" thingy recognize my email address. Blahh!

----------

I have. There is one person in particular in mind, and it's been said by others that he has been doing it for a long time

Hopefully I'm not the offending party.

...I bathed last Thursday.

Sulphur
26th Jan 2009, 15:21
Figures, TTLG had to go down after someone posted that picture of you with your pants down, Queue. :thud:

Hiyas peoples! Just droppin' in to check on ya folks. Life's so boring without CommChat. But maybe that's a good thing? :confused:

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 15:33
Don't judge me.

Sulphur
26th Jan 2009, 15:41
Qui, moi? Jamais. I'm just a-hopin' there's really nothing that's happened and Saam's okay, so he can give the server a kick start.

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 15:50
...does feel a bit ominous, though. But, I tend to think the worse of things.

That sunny disposition and all.

Daveh
26th Jan 2009, 16:10
I've managed to get hold of someone at Photocraft, and while they're unable to do anything to the server, they have told me that he's fine, on holiday and will return tomorrow morning (EST), so around 24 hours from now.

BrokenArts
26th Jan 2009, 16:12
Thats good to know. I had a feeling he was just out of town.
Thanks Dave.

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 16:16
Nothing like coming back from holiday to a frantic community. :D

Sulphur
26th Jan 2009, 16:23
Hey, that's awesome news! Thanks for updating us, Dave. :)

Eshaktaar
26th Jan 2009, 16:41
Somebody stole my internets :mad:

qolelis
26th Jan 2009, 17:45
This forum seems to have been dead until this event.

I smell a conspiracy... :cool:

Anyway, I want to throw money at TTLG too. It seems totally worth it.

brethren
26th Jan 2009, 17:51
Good news about Saam, hopefully TTLG will be up in a day or two. So, what do you say, should we trash this place in the meantime? :naughty:

pavlovscat
26th Jan 2009, 17:55
Good to see so many familiar taffers here - even you Queue! ;)

Thanks, Dave, as usual for your dedication to TTLG.

goldsla
26th Jan 2009, 18:06
David,

As soon as you have the donation collection scheme set up, count me in! TTLG is an incredible community and must return.

LarryG

PsymH
26th Jan 2009, 18:08
I highly doubt that there was any concerted effort to try and thwart you from creating FMs "the way that someone wanted". You made some excellent FMs Belboz but not so revolutionary as to threaten the very foundation of TTLG; that "they" would attempt to block you from visiting the forums, or create any more FMs.

Agreed. I like the ttgm missions very much. I still hope for a continuation. It would be sad if we cannot find out how the story ends. :)

SneakyJack
26th Jan 2009, 18:16
Well you wont get any fan missions out of me, due to someone sending me a virus that distroyed all my fan making mission files back in 2003, then low formated my hard drive so I could not use disk drive recovery programs. all I got is my notebooks, and the backups I keep online at a hidden location.

There now you know what happened to breach fort, and the tower of the moon campaign. breach fort was basicaly an undead mission and the tower of the moon stuff was doing missions for a talking magic book who liked to drink alot and hated frogs, the ribbit ribbit type.

am currently broke, so I can't help support ttlg, I don't even have the £10 quid they want.

Thats probably one of the craziest conspiracy theories I've ever heard. :lol:

That being said, I really enjoy your missions and think that you should continue for those that really do enjoy them, not for the one lone ninja virus maker that somehow targeted only your fan mission files. I was just looking on keepofmetalandgold.com the other day to see if I had missed any of your creations. Hell, I just posted many screenshots and a positive review of "Breakout" on ttlg.com before it went down. What good is "keeping them in a secret online location" doing for anyone including your sanity? Share my brother, share. When the positive reviews come in and the comments about how happy you've made people for a few hours out of their day.. I can't imagine there is much better than that as far as being a gamer.

As for the comment about someone in particular being abusive at ttlg.. why not report that person to a moderator or whatever usually is done to a professional troll?

And as for converting to the dark mod - is it easier to built missions for than the previous thief games?

dethtoll
26th Jan 2009, 18:20
AAAAAAAGH

I need to find a new forum :( I need to be a pseudointellectual pretentious elitist with an attitude problem without worrying about getting banned!

That said, hopefully all is well with Saam and we get TTLG back.

I don't know if I'll be able to donate, but I can try. TTLG's my home on the internet, even if I do want to strangle some of you sometimes ;)

BrokenArts
26th Jan 2009, 18:56
I agree with SneakyJack, I read Belboz's post and ahhhh. What???? I sure as hell wouldn't let some douche bag derail what I do. Yeah, work lost, but for some, pick up the pieces and try again later. When time and funds allowed.
The FM fan base is huge, don't let one rotten apple spoil it Belboz. I beta tested for you, I still have the memories, what fun it was. I wish you would someday come back.

dethtoll, shut up. ;)

dethtoll
26th Jan 2009, 18:58
You all love me and my airplanes and you know it. ;)

Now back to experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/dethtoll/firstnoel.gif

b1k3rdude
26th Jan 2009, 19:01

Thanks, Dave, as usual for your dedication to TTLG.

Hey Pav

As before I happy to donate to a worthy cause..

But £120 a month seem a bit OTT for our wee forum..?

biker

jtr7
26th Jan 2009, 19:05
Per year, not month, and the more people that chip in, the less needed per donor. :D

b1k3rdude
26th Jan 2009, 19:05

do tell...

BrokenArts
26th Jan 2009, 19:06
No one said that, not that I am aware. Just a simple donation to get the ball rolling for a new forum.

They can worry about that next year when fee's are due again. For now, things must change. Donations must be taken. They'll get what they need. Have to think of the future for TTLG, and this is it.

b1k3rdude
26th Jan 2009, 19:07
Per year, not month, and the more people that chip in, the less needed per donor. :D

ah in that case sweet... its a shame we couldntt use our own server, as I would be able to russle up most of the hardware.....

BrokenArts
26th Jan 2009, 19:08
do tell...

I wouldn't air that kind of grievance on the forum. Not worth it.

SneakyJack
26th Jan 2009, 19:10
I wouldn't air that kind of grievance on the forum. Not worth it.

If someone is bothering people that much that its making them uncomfortable to post - it is worth it to have the community turn back on them.

I guess I just believe in the "help police and protect our own" thing. :lol: Also, I have no tolerance for people that believe professional troll is a forum occupation worth holding.

BrokenArts
26th Jan 2009, 19:12
There is a fine line with that. Some of it is better left unsaid, and handle it via PM if it is indeed that bad. It has gone that route before. Depending on the person, if it is an old timer around there, a lot of them don't post, or hardly at all anymore.

And this is about helping TTLG, we can start another bashing thread if we want to! It'll be just like home on TTLG. :p I don't think the mod's would approve around here though.

b1k3rdude
26th Jan 2009, 19:13
No one said that, not that I am aware. Just a simple donation to get the ball rolling for a new forum.

They can worry about that next year when fee's are due again. For now, things must change. Donations must be taken. They'll get what they need. Have to think of the future for TTLG, and this is it.

Whats the ramifications of getting ttlg hosted on someones backbone, such as eidos or same such..?

BrokenArts
26th Jan 2009, 19:16
I highly doubt Eidos would do that. They are an actual company, this is about them and profit, advertising what they do, not hosting the sister site to a game. If they do that for TTLG, every Tom d!!ck (stupid sensor) and harry would come out of the wood work wanting to be hosted.

They'll work out the kinks, and get a home.

b1k3rdude
26th Jan 2009, 19:20
If they do that for TTLG, every Tom **** and harry

I see your point, also I would hate to have ttlg auto sensored like your post has just been. We cant even say the word d.i.c.k. like....bloody americans..:nut:

BrokenArts
26th Jan 2009, 19:22
Nooo, this is has to be family friendly, reason for the sensor ship. Thats why we have TTLG. Its an entity all its own, and should remain that way. :)

SneakyJack
26th Jan 2009, 19:30
Well, since we're just sitting here thumb twiddling and waiting for it to be back - anyone have any missions that they want added to the review/screenshot list? :lol:

Right now I have Seven Sisters, Ominous Bequest, Broken Triad, Thief Trinity, Ashen Age, Burglary In Blackbrook, Bane 1, Bloodmist Tower, Horns Of Canzo, In Dubio Pro Garrett, Way of the sword and Shadows of Eidolon ready to go. :nut:

Any recommendations for missions anyone would like to see would be appreciated. I can't remember which ones I've already done.

brethren
26th Jan 2009, 19:30
But £120 a month seem a bit OTT for our wee forum..?

But it's not just the forum, it's The Circle and other related web sites too.

qolelis
26th Jan 2009, 19:38
There seems to be a bit of a confusion about what this will actually cost.

If I got it right, this is what it would cost the owners of ttlg:

Or it would be if it wasn't for the £120 a month charge.
David
Unfortunately moving to a commercial host requires between £800 and £1200 [...] a year

...and this is what it would cost per member in donations:

We are hoping that between 80 and 120 people would be kind enough to donate £10/$13

Daveh
26th Jan 2009, 19:42
It requires a dedicated server, primarily due to the forums. This is whey when we had the temporary forum it would drop out all the time.

Forums are CPU, memory and disk intensive.

The charge is £120 (ex VAT) a month for TTLG, the forums, all the daughter sites - everything TTLG is. It would allow us to use the additional capacity and data transfer to do things like build our download archive, have a bespoke modern cross-site content management system, rather than rely on individual ones that were written back in the late 90s, and offer the kind of incentives I wrote about above.

We could make do with the current situation, but then we could fall prey to the same scenario that has kept TTLG down since Thursday. And that's something I don't think we can really do and flourish.

BrokenArts
26th Jan 2009, 19:48
After awhile thats just not worth it. It gets old having the forums go down like they do, and with no control. Not to say we don't appreciate Saam doing this, of course not. He was one of the founding fathers, bet that is why he still does this. A sense of obligation, and he likes being one of the founding fathers, his way of contributing. Merely a guess.

Sorry you are frustrated Dave, we all are. At least we have else where to post. It is time for TTLG to change for the better, and bring forth the future for TTLG.

ffox
26th Jan 2009, 19:56
Count me in.

80 to 100 people will keep it going for a year but then you will have to ask again. Have you investigated adding a bit of subtle advertising? Google got rich that way so one or two small ads could be enough to keep the ball rolling once it's on the move.

theBlackman
26th Jan 2009, 19:59
Sounds like we need to get creative. TTLG is one of the few, if not only, forum that lets you/me/us sound off without being too restrictive.

The moderators treat the posters fairly, and only come down hard when it's justified.

For one, I'd be glad to drop a few $$ on them each month to keep her going.

At 120 a thats about $156.00 a month, at the current rate. With the number of members, who are active regularly, it would cost most of us less than an English pint, or a bottle of beer each month.

1440.00 a year comes to about 1.44 a month for 1000 members. If my memory is not faulty, and it may be, I ain't no spring chicken, that's about 1/5th of the membership. Active members that is.

I can easily afford a annual contribution of $25.00 to $50.00 a year. Hell, if you play WOW you pay $15.00 a month for that privilege.

Daveh
26th Jan 2009, 19:59
Yeah, we already have a couple of adverts on the forums. They generate a small amount of money, but nothing even vaguely substantial.

If we do move to the commercial hosting then we do have a year to come up with further ideas on how to raise money.

b1k3rdude
26th Jan 2009, 20:00
Have you investigated adding a bit of subtle advertising? Google got rich that way so one or two small ads could be enough to keep the ball rolling once it's on the move.

David, I know ttlg are apposed to advertising, but to be hnest i wouldnt mind if it kept ttlg running...

biker

qolelis
26th Jan 2009, 20:01
If your withdrawal symptoms are severe, you can access an older version of TTLG via google's cache.

Examples

The start page: http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:NM-s_4Uic70J:www.ttlg.com/+&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=se
A thread in TEG about multiple submodels:
http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:ZWujhUj7iH0J:www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php%3Fp%3D1122956+dromed+sphere+multiple+submodels&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=se

Daveh
26th Jan 2009, 20:03
David, I know ttlg are apposed to advertising, but to be hnest i wouldnt mind if it kept ttlg running...

I certainly wouldn't let any advertising get intrusive. I like the Google Ads we have at the moment. However I have thought about letting members purchase cheap adverts for a month. Maybe for the company they work for, maybe their band, or a project they're working on - that sort of thing.

One of the aims in collecting hosting money outside of donations is making sure that it is community focussed, and that it benefits our membership.

b1k3rdude
26th Jan 2009, 20:05
I
The charge is £120 (ex VAT) a month for TTLG, the forums, all the daughter sites - everything TTLG is.

Ouch, thats £138 at the current vat rate. So I'll go back to my original view, thats a lot of money for a forum. Is there not some way TTLG could be paired back so it could be run cheaper. I fear that without Saams goodwill, ttlg will just disappear if it has to stand on its own... :(

I certainly wouldn't let any advertising get intrusive. I like the Google Ads we have at the moment.

well another idea would be a For sale and wanted section..? charge a flat rate for insertions - aka ebid..t

SneakyJack
26th Jan 2009, 20:09
I certainly wouldn't let any advertising get intrusive. I like the Google Ads we have at the moment. However I have thought about letting members purchase cheap adverts for a month. Maybe for the company they work for, maybe their band, or a project they're working on - that sort of thing.

One of the aims in collecting hosting money outside of donations is making sure that it is community focussed, and that it benefits our membership.

One thing that you may want to think about that has been successful at other forums is setting up a different permissions rank based on being a donator of a certain amount that will give the member certain perks like being able to lock threads that they created, having a small (under 100 x 100 and 15kb) avatar (which you seem to be very much against, I dont really understand that), things like that. People are much more willing to donate to a cause if they get something in return - and though you mentioned choosing one perk (like an email address at ttlg and such) it would be much better just to apply those perks to their everyday forums account so that they'd actually use it and feel like they got value for their money.

Just a suggestion. I would donate anyway, but I would love to be able to have a small avatar, be able to delete my own posts if I make a mistake, close a thread that ive made if it fails terribly or anything like that. I would never use my own ttlg homepage (already have a few) or an email at ttlg (most people already have an established email).

Good luck either way!

b1k3rdude
26th Jan 2009, 20:14
Just a suggestion. I would donate anyway, but I would love to be able to have a small avatar, !

This is what costs bandwidth Sneaky, and we are already at the £140 mark per month with TTlG the way it is...

Dave, how much could you get the cost down if you just ran the forum, with everything else removed..? With any pictres etc all hosted externally..? no archive stuff etc, just the bare minimum..?

SneakyJack
26th Jan 2009, 20:18
This is what costs bandwidth Sneaky, and we are already at the £140 mark per month with TTlG the way it is...

Dave, how much could you get the cost down if you just ran the forum, with everything else removed..? With any pictres etc all hosted externally..?

I really don't see ttlg having enough activity to skyrocket the prices that much. If so, I must be missing alot of activity.

At any rate, it was just a suggestion that I knew would drive bandwidth up a bit - but at 120 dollars a month for a forum with what I've seen to be less than 1000 active members, bandwidth should not be a problem. Then again, I'm sure I'm wrong.

jtr7
26th Jan 2009, 20:18
Multi-leveled paid membership, from free-but-fairly-limited to full membership with privileges that include one of those aforementioned incentives? Yeah, I know, it gets sticky, and ego will certainly swell or shrink for it. There are hard-core members who are broke, and someone kindly paying for them can make for an uncomfortable situation. I know there are those of us who will pay without expecting anything in return from those who can't afford it, or just won't pay. Too many problems with that, it appears.

I apologise for my fallacious post above in response to Biker. I didn't even know it was successfully submitted, as my connection died at the instant I clicked the submit button.:(

b1k3rdude
26th Jan 2009, 20:19
If you are paying 120 dollars a month for a host and do not have unlimited bandwidth, you need to shop around for a new host.

Davee, what are TTLG's bandwidth and storage requirements atm...?

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 20:21

Oh, it's nice to be missed--people are always saying how nice it is when I'm not around.

-----

More importantly... LLLLLLAAAAAARRY!!!!!!

BrokenArts
26th Jan 2009, 20:26
How about something like the somethingawful.com forums one time registration fee? For them its $9.95 to register.

SA Forums registration page (https://secure.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/index.php?item=register)

They've currently got 120k users total (http://forums.somethingawful.com/), so the fee isn't keeping people away. Something like that could work for TTLG, though the $ amount doesn't have to be the same.

One way to deal with the currently registered members would be to give a 30 to 60 day grace period to pay the registration fee, after which their account will be locked until they pay.

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 20:32
I would be very willing to pay a registration fee.

My only concern is, what about people that wouldn't be? Then you'd need to raise money beyond that fee to make ends meet.

Dave, do you know how many new and unique users visit, and participate, in the forum in a month?

...that'd be a good starting basis for deciding if a fee would work.

b1k3rdude
26th Jan 2009, 20:35
I apologise for my fallacious post above in response to Biker.:(

I cant see the post jtr, so I wouldnt worry :D

If its gonna cost me £120 a year, Its not something I would see my self doing... The Reg fee sounds good though, plus I would pay extra for perks, like the ability to lock/move threads, custiome profile, etc etc..

How about membership types, Platinum, Gold, Silver and bronze with appropriate coloured hammers...

Daveh
26th Jan 2009, 20:35
Something Awful didn't introduce their registration fee until 2001, when they were already tremendously popular. We do not have the membership to work this way.

Storage and transfer are not really the problem. That would probably run £500 or £600 a year, however the reason we require a dedicated server is because we require 2GB of RAM. No shared hosting plan will give us that, especially coupled with the CPU time we use.

It's not £120 a member, biker, it's £120 for the whole thing.

b1k3rdude
26th Jan 2009, 20:41
It's not £120 a member, biker, it's £120 for the whole thing.

Sorry to sound thick, but in what way, a one off payment for what the hardware..? that you then put in a hosting enviroment..? if thats the case then I can quite happily donate lots of hardware for this...!!!

SneakyJack
26th Jan 2009, 20:41
How about something like the somethingawful.com forums one time registration fee? For them its $9.95 to register.

SA Forums registration page (https://secure.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/index.php?item=register)

I have a membership there and can see why they charge - like Dave said they were already very active and popular before starting paid registration - for them its not an option due to bandwidth charges nearing 2000 a month. They have more than 10,000 active users on at any time of day.

I don't think ttlg has the sort of crowd that would pay 10 dollars just to sign up given the very low activity level.

I think donation based account perks would be the best way to go - then again I'm not running the show so I'll donate regardless of what is decided.

BrokenArts
26th Jan 2009, 20:42
I don't see why a registeration fee wouldn't work, it would be a start. It doesn't have to be $10.00.
If a 1000 people registered and paid, that would be a start of $10,000. That is a start, TTLG is popular enough. Paying a registration fee is less than paying your internet per month. Start adding up the numbers, people will pay.

Right now, every option has to be thought of. Something will work.

goldsla
26th Jan 2009, 20:46
Oh, it's nice to be missed--people are always saying how nice it is when I'm not around.

-----

More importantly... LLLLLLAAAAAARRY!!!!!!You're my favorite too! -- LarryG

jtr7
26th Jan 2009, 20:50
For myself, just having TTLG exist as it has for me, is incentive enough. The only real improvement I've ever wanted, was a better way to search the archives, even going so far as to ask to purchase a copy of the Vault threads so I could search by username, and key words less than four characters in length, etc. And since I want to give back to the community for all I've gotten from it, I'm willing to help monetarily when I can, just to keep the basic TTLG experience going for everyone who benefits from it.

goldsla
26th Jan 2009, 20:57
How about membership tiers? For EXAMPLE (not a real strawman, just an example to help explain the concept)

1) Any visitor can read posts in general access sections
2) Level 1 subscribers and above can post
3) Level 2 subscribers and above can access special content hosted (tutorials, walkthroughs, whatever) above and beyond the general access sections
4) Level 3 subscribers get special perks ...

Level 1 is 5 currency units per year
Level 2 is 15 currency units per year
Level 3 is 25 currency units per year

jtr7
26th Jan 2009, 21:04
Gift memberships for those who cannot afford it, or for the fun of it.

Like an annual subscription to a magazine, except we can give more than the asking fee if we want.

XgunsmokeX
26th Jan 2009, 21:16
This sucks. I have been a daily visitor (albeit in lurk mode) for 7 years. I am a student who works part time (due to my being the most Junior employee w/9 months there my hours often dip to the 10-12 hours a week level :( ), and I tell ya' 10 bucks a year per member is a bit much for me. We live paycheck to paycheck around our house. TTLG has been my one 'home' online, save for GameFAQs around the millenium. I hope I can still participate @ a decent level. I don't need all the extra B.S......I just wanna be able to read, post, and edit (as well as have access to the material I have always been able to).

qolelis
26th Jan 2009, 21:17
For myself, just having TTLG exist as it has for me, is incentive enough.

Yup.

The only real improvement I've ever wanted, was a better way to search the archives

Agreed. I would like to be able to use any keyword no matter how short and maybe more advanced options like excluding words nd perhaps even regular expressions or something like it, and this also for usernames.

There is a lot of useful information at TTLG, but sometimes it is hard to find what you're after and a more advanced search function could help. That would also keep down the number of unnecessary threads.

Another thing I've wanted for to work is converting old URLs (as used in The Vault) into new ones, but I have been told that this is impossible. Sometimes when I search The Vault I happen upon posts that link to other threads (with possible solutions for my problem), but there is no way to find the thread being linked to, because the URL doesn't work anymore.

That's the only two features I have ever wished for and I can live without them. (In)Stability is a whole other issue...

I am also quite curious about any features that David has planned to implement. Would those make it even more worth to donate for!?

I'm willing to help monetarily when I can, just to keep the basic TTLG experience going for everyone who benefits from it.

Yup.

How many people do we have now that are actually ready to donate at least $10? And keep doing it? As has been said already - it seems to require repeating, though - if only around 100 members payed $10 each year, the costs would be covered. Ten dollars isn't much for a whole year (at least not for me), but maybe 100 members, doing this, is?

BrokenArts
26th Jan 2009, 21:30
Small membership fee. I'd do it.

brethren
26th Jan 2009, 21:31
Sorry to sound thick, but in what way, a one off payment for what the hardware..? that you then put in a hosting enviroment..? if thats the case then I can quite happily donate lots of hardware for this...!!!

I'm not an expert, but I believe the hosting company puts the server together, and the customer (us) just pays a monthly fee to cover both the cost of equipment and the bandwidth. I'm guessing they put the machine together so it "fits in" well to their network environment and they don't have to worry about some odd configuration that they have no idea how to fix or support.

XgunsmokeX
26th Jan 2009, 21:36
I'm not an expert, but I believe the hosting company puts the server together, and the customer (us) just pays a monthly fee to cover both the cost of equipment and the bandwidth. I'm guessing they put the machine together so it "fits in" well to their network environment and they don't have to worry about some odd configuration that they have no idea how to fix or support.

Yeah, I have never, ever heard of anything like what biker is considering. Not that it is a bad idea, per se, it just isn't how it usually works.

Daveh
26th Jan 2009, 21:40
What biker is considering is known as co-location, but only usually works with rackservers, not standalone boxes. You pay for rack space, bandwidth and, separate support and manual reboots if the server craps out.

Co-location is not something I would consider, as I am looking for more reliability, where a machine is swapped out for free if it breaks or I can call them up and get it rebooted there and then for free. Co-location is cheaper, but is not worth it from our point of view.

The offer is appreciated though, biker.

qolelis
26th Jan 2009, 21:42
I think what bikerdude is suggesting is that if hardware is the only problem, then bikderdude could donate the hardware needed. Then you would only have to find a place to put the server and get it connected.

b1k3rdude
26th Jan 2009, 21:46
Small membership fee. I'd do it.

same here, plus I would be interested in premium membership. but more imprtantly if a ttlg owned server is going to be built I am appy to donate parts for it..

Norsu
26th Jan 2009, 21:50
So the sum is 120£ per month, or did I miss something?

My suggestion is that we raise the money to get TTLG up and running for few months. When the forums are back, discussing the future is much easier as we will reach much bigger audience and thus get more opinions and ideas.

One time fee might be a problem because TTLG is heavily oriented on legacy gaming only. SA forums have every possible sub category so asking for fee is much more reasonable because you get more bang for your buck.

Maybe have limited posting options for free users (no pictures etc) and when you donate you'll get more options.

P.S. My TTLG nick is Wille :)

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 21:50
...fund raisers. Hey, we could even auction off members!

I'd do that

Premium memberships would be a cool thing, though (maybe we'd even get an avatar :D)

SneakyJack
26th Jan 2009, 22:07
Premium memberships would be a cool thing, though (maybe we'd even get an avatar :D)

Already suggested that and got shot down hard. :o

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 22:13
What--I can't get a cheesy little picture for ponying-up some extra scratch?

...just pushing buttons :rasp:

goldsla
26th Jan 2009, 22:27
Does anybody know the history behind that decision? There has to be one, and letting folk know the backstory might help ...

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 22:31
See!!! Even Larry has an avatar! :mad2:

Tannar
26th Jan 2009, 22:35
I would gladly give $10 per year to keep ttlg alive and well and frankly, from what I have seen of this community, I imagine the vast majority of members would as well.

I wouldn't need or want any extra incentives to do this. That's like saying I would need extra incentives to keep my own house from burning down. :scratch:

Just my 2 cents worth. Anyway, whatever is decided you can count on my support, financial and otherwise.

Does anybody know the history behind that decision? There has to be one, and letting folk know the backstory might help ...If ttlg was up I would give you the link to the thread(s) with this discussion. Feel free, anyone, to correct me if I am wrong but the bottom line as I see it is that most members (as well as the administration) are happy to have a forum that is not cluttered with avatars and huge signature images. Most like it this way. It is clean, sane, easy to navigate, and doesn't look like a circus.

For what it is worth, I completely support the avatar-free zone.

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 22:45
Okay, okay--I'll trade you avatars for some extra emoticons.

They've got some great ones over here...we need to Garrett 'em

Tannar
26th Jan 2009, 22:46
Now you're talkin! ;)

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 22:55
Well now that that's settled, the choice is between seeing how fast one can get banned from here or playing an FM (since Dromed is right out tonight).

Hmmmm... decisions, decisions....

Okay, any suggestions for an older FM (two years at least) starting with the letter 'D'?

...and not Deceptive Perception or Debt Repaid, already played those.

Tannar
26th Jan 2009, 23:07
How about Durant?

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 23:15
How about Durant?

Opps! I forgot that I had played that one, too. Good choice, though. What about Delford Abbey (I don't recall that one)?

Kamyk
26th Jan 2009, 23:16
To echo jtr7 and others, I am quite happy donating and want no extras like email, web hosting, or what have you. What I do want is this to be on a volunteer basis. For several reasons. One, ttlg is known as the place to go for all things Thief. The reason the Thief forums thrive is because we are n00b friendly (even posting threads asking lurkers to come out of the woodwork), we are more than willing to share or point at any Thiefy or forum info a person asks for, and it is free to the average user.

Every time someone re-writes the Thief pages at wikipedia, I always add the link to ttlg if they forget it. ttlg is linked to by dozens of sites. New people come browse the forums on a regular basis. Want to kill the influx of new members that make ttlg breathe and thrive? Make it a paid membership site.

Two, donating feels better to an end user than being charged.

Three, tiered memberships (as someone mentioned above) would just add to the egos of various members, and create even more "hah, i'm better than you" attitudes. While perhaps a third to half of the members at ttlg are all for one-upsmanship, I believe the rest of us are not.

Four, as XgunsmokeX mentioned in his response, we do have long standing members who are not in a circumstance to pay fees. We'd lose some of them too.

Personally I see making ttlg a membership site as a nail in the coffin of it's eventual demise.

I mean if some of us need to donate once a year to keep the place going, that's fine by me. Count me in for the next century's worth. Have a fund raiser once a year. Leave it free to the masses.

(More smilies, and better search would be nice...)

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 23:19
... While perhaps a third to half of the members at ttlg are all for one-upsmanship, I believe the rest of us are not....

I'll see that bet, and raise you twenty.

qolelis
26th Jan 2009, 23:31
Okay, any suggestions for an older FM (two years at least) starting with the letter 'D'?

Dance With The Dead
Dancing with the Dead
Dirty Business

Queue2
26th Jan 2009, 23:37
The two Dead Ho-Downs are too new. But, Dirty Business looks really good. That'll do the trick. Thanks!

Tannar
26th Jan 2009, 23:38
Kamyk makes some very good points.

goldsla
26th Jan 2009, 23:45
Kamyk makes some very good points.Agreed. If there were a payment site set up now, while TTLG is down, I bet we could raise the scratch needed for this year in just a day or two. If the site was up again, it might take longer ...

qolelis
26th Jan 2009, 23:52
The two Dead Ho-Downs are too new. But, Dirty Business looks really good. That'll do the trick. Thanks!

Title Author Date Rating Game
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadly Darkness Tomi Väisänen 2002.01.06 7 Thief Gold
The Death of Garrett Chris Patterson 1999.10.05 8.75 Thief 1
The Docks Gonchong 2000.08.01 6.5 Thief 2
Dyers' Eve Metalhead 2001.10.18 8 Thief 2

Is that old enough for ya, huh!?

EarlyTaffer
27th Jan 2009, 00:00
As a long time lurker, rare poster, 2 time donator and player of many fan missions I have received much more from the community than $20 / year.

I also moderated on another forum that recently went commercial, its UGLY now. Packed with all sorts of glitz and ads. :(

I don't have time for dromed now, but what the future holds...?

IMO the post that so far embodies what TTLG has come to mean to me is Kamyk's. And I want to believe that most other taffers will want to share some of the loot they've collected all these years too.

The alternatives won't be pretty. :(

EarlyTaffer

dethtoll
27th Jan 2009, 00:01
I'll see that bet, and raise you twenty.

i c wut u did thar

I would be very willing to accept a fee for additional stuff, while the "base" package (i.e. the stuff everyone has now) remains free. Additional stuff would give you more abilities and whatnot. So long as the fee remained no more than such and such amount (I'd probably pay up if it was $10 US) per such and such period of time I don't see why a lot of people wouldn't start donating.

The sticking point is that it's gotta be voluntary to pay- pay-for-membership would scare a lot of folks off, myself included because, well hell the economy's busy prolapsing itself and not all of us have jobs. It just wouldn't be the same if ZB or Koki weren't around 'cuz they couldn't afford a monthly fee.

That said, here's another idea- if someone gets banned, and they want back in, they can buy their way back in immediately with a one-time $30 unbanning fee. (Replace price with whatever you think is reasonable.) This would mean three things:

A) they'd be less likely to harass admins/threaten to take it to the Hague/etc.
2) they'd be more likely to behave better next time for fear of having to pay another $50 if they wanted back in
D) they'd just go away entirely

but let's keep DaveW out ;)

qolelis
27th Jan 2009, 00:03
If the funds for commercial hosting couldn't at some time in the future be raised, how hard would it then be to go back to free hosting?

Agreed. If there were a payment site set up now, while TTLG is down, I bet we could raise the scratch needed for this year in just a day or two

Yes, my urge to donate always goes up when TTLG goes down.

jtr7
27th Jan 2009, 00:03
I would hope we would never have to have pledge-drives as a rule, but rather a more organic approach with open communication and accountability on both sides, but I'll really just take whatever works.

So...what are some OTHER things we could do to make our all-volunteer, not-for-profit, non-monetarily-rewarded leadership's lives less burdened? :group_hug:

qolelis
27th Jan 2009, 00:09
So...what are some OTHER things we could do to make our all-volunteer, not-for-profit, non-monetarily-rewarded leadership's lives less burdened? :group_hug:
Other than donations? Hugs? A good meal if they ever come to Sweden?

R_Soul
27th Jan 2009, 00:17
I mean if some of us need to donate once a year to keep the place going, that's fine by me. Count me in for the next century's worth. Have a fund raiser once a year. Leave it free to the masses.

(More smilies, and better search would be nice...)I agree with most of this, but I think there are enough smilies.

I also think that donations should be kept anonymous, by which I mean there shouldn't be a public list of who's donated what.

jtr7
27th Jan 2009, 00:20
A case of quality beer?
A case of quality art supplies?
A week of good behavior?
Not replying to spam?
Never demanding anything from them 'cause we think we deserve it, or have a right to?

qolelis
27th Jan 2009, 00:27
A case of quality beer?
A case of quality art supplies?
A week of good behavior?
Not replying to spam?
Never demanding anything from them 'cause we think we deserve it, or have a right to?

First we bribe them and then we tell them our demands ;)

Yandros
27th Jan 2009, 00:36
I too thought £120 a month sounded high, and then I went and priced a dedicated server plan at GoDaddy (with whom I have my hosting). Using all of Dave's specs, I came up with something close to US$225 a month, which is around £175 a month. So wherever Dave got his quote from, it sounds like a good deal to me.

Kamyk
27th Jan 2009, 00:51
I would be very willing to accept a fee for additional stuff, while the "base" package (i.e. the stuff everyone has now) remains free. Additional stuff would give you more abilities and whatnot. So long as the fee remained no more than such and such amount (I'd probably pay up if it was $10 US) per such and such period of time I don't see why a lot of people wouldn't start donating.

Not a bad compromise.

The sticking point is that it's gotta be voluntary to pay- pay-for-membership would scare a lot of folks off, myself included because, well hell the economy's busy prolapsing itself and not all of us have jobs. It just wouldn't be the same if ZB or Koki weren't around 'cuz they couldn't afford a monthly fee.

A good point about the economy, and agreed about ZB. I Know a lot of people don't like him, but he is my favorite flamer.

--------------------------------

:Kamyk waves to Yandros: :wave:

Komag
27th Jan 2009, 01:01
$30 to get unbanned? I'd consider that... :wave: :D :whistle:

Kamyk
27th Jan 2009, 01:04
Heh. :) Nice to see you Komag.

Stingm
27th Jan 2009, 01:05
I agree with Kamyk, becoming a pay site will not work. Anyone remember 3dgamers.com as an example. They did that and were dead in just over a year as I recall. I think the donation thing would be best. But hey we can figure something out.

LOL Komag! :D

nightshifter
27th Jan 2009, 01:40
I agree with R Soul that donations should be anonymous.

having ttlg up again on a good server is reward enough for my donation..
( he, I would even donate to have it on a not-so-good server:D )
and to be honest, I don't like the idea of all kind of different privileged members, depending on how much you donate..
I supose there are enough members out there willing to donate just to get good-ol'-ttlg back again

Vlad Midnight
27th Jan 2009, 02:09
At first I thought it was out of place to see Komag in this ttlg thread. :scratch: Then I remembered this isnt ttlg, hes not banned here.

mxleader
27th Jan 2009, 02:10
I think I am in the same boat as all of you with TTLG withdrawals. I was so used to checking the threads everyday along with reading the newspaper, and now nothing. Must have TTLG back soon...

jtr7
27th Jan 2009, 02:20
Komag = Shadak

Sxerks
27th Jan 2009, 03:44
Just an idea:
Replace the "donate/pitch in" button at the top of all the forums with something like this:

Monthly goal: $100/$120 83% |Donate | | Gear | |Album |
Yearly Goal: $100/$1200 8.3% |Button | |Button | |Button|

That way it's noticeable,on the top of every page, maybe in RED.
The donate button takes you to the regular donate page, and maybe a list of the members and how much they gave.

Something I've seen similar on other websites that ask for server/bandwidth donations, And they are simple sites that come up with $800 a month.

And just like others have said, being a pay site would kill it, but I think they know that.

XgunsmokeX
27th Jan 2009, 03:46
According to this (http://www.websiteoutlook.com/www.ttlg.com), ttlg makes $30+ a day.

Yandros
27th Jan 2009, 04:06
That site says my website (http://www.websiteoutlook.com/www.wearytaffer.com) is worth $1642, making $2.25 a day, yet I don't have any ads whatsoever and make nothing. So take its accuracy with a grain of salt.

brethren
27th Jan 2009, 04:09
Komag = Shadak

It's actually the other way around.

Edit: Yandros, I think it's just an estimate based on traffic. I get basically the same number for Southquarter.

Kamyk
27th Jan 2009, 04:14
Says pretty much the same about the Keep of metal and gold. Similar number in "ads revenue".

I don't recall seeing any ads at any of those three sites...

Edit:Same at Vigil's site.

Humm secondlife.com shows "Daily Ads Revenue : $1002.52", and they don't have ads either. They don't need any as it is a self sustaining online entity. I'd say the ads revenue listing is definitely a visitor based assumed calculation.

jtr7
27th Jan 2009, 04:26
It's actually the other way around.

Heh heh, what? Equals works in both directions. Or are you saying Shadak is his real name and SHAdowDArkKeep is an extrapolation? I did not know that.:thumb:

SneakyJack
27th Jan 2009, 05:01
Any particular reason why Komag (Shadak) is banned from ttlg? The keep is usually my first source to get fan missions - apparently there was some drama I missed or something silly?

My appreciation for sites like the keep and southquarter is pretty much limitless. :)

Kamyk
27th Jan 2009, 05:07
We aren't allowed to discuss it at ttlg for some reason. We could discuss it here, but no sense in bringing up old dirt (especially seeing as he has since been allowed back as Shadak). You can read Komag's explanation of the events here (http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/banned.htm).

SneakyJack
27th Jan 2009, 05:16
We aren't allowed to discuss it at ttlg for some reason. We couild discuss it here, but no sense in bringing up old dirt (especially seeing as he has since been allowed back as Shadak). You can read Komag's explanation of the events here (http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/banned.htm).

Thanks for the info. I can see over-reaction by both sides I suppose, but enough time seems to have passed that its time to forgive and forget and give another chance. He seems to be back as Shadak and not banned, so that is a good thing.

Komag does a great service to the thief community by operating the keep (and I constantly see him being thanked in FM texts), and as long as he doesnt over-react anymore I don't see why he should be given anything but welcome.

Then again I've lurked ttlg for years and this is the first I've really read about it - I don't involve myself in the drama. I've never seen any of the ttlg abuse that has been mentioned, so I must do a good job of keeping myself in the group that just loves talking about the games :lol:

Daveh
27th Jan 2009, 09:03
I really can't see us ever implementing a paid-for or tiered membership. It works for some forums, but I can't see it working for us.

We'd work on donations only, with incentives.

No public record of who donated would be made, only the monetary amount of donations received. The only way you'd know that someone had donated is either if they said so, or used their new email address, posted an attachment, etc.

And we don't make anything like $30 a day through Adsense. If we did, we wouldn't have a problem at all. Whilst I can't go into specifics, as it is against the Adsense T&C, for us, $30 a day would be amazing.

And finally, I have heard from Saam via email, who will be back to the server in around 6 hours.

Kamyk
27th Jan 2009, 09:12
Whoohoo! \o/

TY for keeping us posted :)

Edit:
Let me add to that. Also TY for ttlg, and for being an administrator, and all the work you do and plan to do in keeping it running for us.

b1k3rdude
27th Jan 2009, 12:09
Co-location is not something I would consider,
The offer is appreciated though, biker.

No worries Dave :D

Subjective Effect
27th Jan 2009, 12:56
How about a bi- or tri -yearly raffle? Get some Thief/Deus Ex/SS2 memorabilia in there and charge $5.

b1k3rdude
27th Jan 2009, 13:22
$30 to get unbanned? I'd consider that... :wave: :D :whistle:
LOL Classic...

And finally, I have heard from Saam via email, who will be back to the server in around 6 hours.

sweet

Queue2
27th Jan 2009, 13:34
Komag = Shadak

Well one of 'em needs to update their bloody site. :whistle:

...I'm just saying is all, Kodak.

mayan
27th Jan 2009, 14:08

Thanks for the update, that's really good to hear. I just hope it'll be easy to fix.

goldsla
27th Jan 2009, 14:14
Ditto. I just wish these posts has times on them so I could know when I should try ttlg again.

XgunsmokeX
27th Jan 2009, 14:22
And we don't make anything like $30 a day through Adsense. If we did, we wouldn't have a problem at all. Whilst I can't go into specifics, as it is against the Adsense T&C, for us, $30 a day would be amazing.

I figured that, I just posted it for the sake of discussion and fun.

R_Soul
27th Jan 2009, 14:37
Ditto. I just wish these posts has times on them so I could know when I should try ttlg again.They do.

mxleader
27th Jan 2009, 15:43
Looks like the long lusty lap dance from TTLG is over for now ... now we all have to buck up some cash...

Here is my list for the proposed 1200 GBP amount that was brought up by TTLG admin. Conversion rates are as of today: 27 January 2009. So it wouldn't be that bad to donate to a new hosting site if enough people gave some money. Feel free to check my work, although the numbers should be close enough to get the idea.

10 donors= GBP 120 (USD)169
25 donors= GBP 48 (USD) 67.66
50 donors= GBP 24 (USD) 33.83
75 donors= GBP 16 (USD) 22.54
100 donors= GBP 12 (USD) 16.91
120 donors= GBP 10 (USD) 14.09
150 donors= GBP 8 (USD) 11.27
200 donors= GBP 6 (USD) 8.45
300 donors= GBP 4 (USD) 5.63

Yes I am bored right now without TTLG.

fibanocci
27th Jan 2009, 17:19
it's back again

jtr7
27th Jan 2009, 18:51
I really can't see us ever implementing a paid-for or tiered membership. It works for some forums, but I can't see it working for us.

We'd work on donations only, with incentives.

Alright, well I'm glad that's settled!:cool:

Nightwalker
27th Jan 2009, 21:36
TTLG is up and running again. You can find the official announcement about changing to a commercial server here (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/announcement.php?f=100&a=99) and it includes a link to PayPal for donations.

jtr7
27th Jan 2009, 22:32
Thanks goes out to our kind and tolerant hosts Eidos and the administration for allowing us to guest here until we could return to our home.:)

Tannar
27th Jan 2009, 22:39
Indeed, yes! Thank you!

Kamyk
28th Jan 2009, 00:08
Yes TY all. I think I'll stop in here every day or os and see what it's like.

BrokenArts
28th Jan 2009, 01:59
It can be a bit quiet, but, some new blood would help around here too.

Adding to the above posts, thank you all.

XgunsmokeX
28th Jan 2009, 21:29
I regularly swing by here, but only recently signed up. Maybe I'll post here regularly now. They could use the traffic.

BrokenArts
28th Jan 2009, 22:01
Yup, they could use the traffic around here. New blood is always welcome. I still consider this place home too. Some great people around here still. :)

Kamyk
28th Jan 2009, 23:16
Doesn't look like very often though... O.O

Well, I'll still stop in and see anyways...

Peter_Smith
29th Jan 2009, 03:16
It's true. Things have been quiet here lately, and we could use some new blood. Most members now stop in once or twice for technical advice, and you never hear from then again. In the good old days, say 8 years ago, this was the supreme Thief forum, and the TTLG folk specialized in silly clans and forum raids. We used to go to TTLG when the Eidos forum was down. My, how things have changed. Just remember: ghost mode was invented here by Clayman, Sneak, and a couple of other stalwarts, and I was not far behind. The ghost report threads here are still somewhat active -- feel free to contribute. The Crippled Burrick Inn is a decent place to hang around.

Tannar
29th Jan 2009, 06:08
I occasionally browse the ghost reports. Haven't spent much time in the other forums here. TTLG certainly has become home for me but I think I'll be stopping by here on a fairly regular basis now.

jtr7
29th Jan 2009, 23:44
I swing by here several times a day, and rarely miss a day.:thumb:

littlek
30th Jan 2009, 02:12
.....littlek starts slinking around picking the pockets of TTLG visitors.