PDA

View Full Version : Slow motion

Blade_hunter
21st Jan 2009, 21:56
Do you want slow motion or not and how slow it should be

if you have something to clarify about your opinion say what you want

this is a multiple vote if you choose the two firsts options A or B you should choose the lasts between the numbered list.
if you choose C choose only C please

the original thread that pushed me to make the poll http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=85327 to avoid some confusions

Sabretooth1
22nd Jan 2009, 02:52
It could be used for a speedup operation, but that would be very un-Deus Ex. And besides, speeding up time should test your reflexes like pha said. Slowmo feels too easy and unrealistic and the only game I've seen it work well was Max Payne (not its sequel).

binlargin
22nd Jan 2009, 02:59
I say sure, why not? The more augs the better so long as you have to sacrifice something and it is balanced. Being able to get that perfect head-shot in every time isn't going to help against bots.

Malah
22nd Jan 2009, 03:10
Any form of this would have to be an optional augmentation, though I would prefer if it wasn't included in the game at all.

If it was included, it should be presented as a means to give you more time to consider your moves, not "bullet time".

!!!! No puzzles/whatever based around such a feature!!!!

Jerion
22nd Jan 2009, 03:36
^^ :lol: Come on pha, maybe it won't be exactly like that! :D

Seriously though, I'll add Slo-mo to my list of things to talk with the DX3 team about. ;)

And if they confirm it, heads will roll.

Blade_hunter
22nd Jan 2009, 03:41
I vote C because I dislike that but hehe if it's an augmentation it's speed little increase and low slow motion added (just to add a better control)
I don't like the idea but I made this poll to see if people wants or doesn't want that ^^

AaronJ
22nd Jan 2009, 04:38
I voted for, because the reflex aug in Snowblind was done pretty well.

Necros
22nd Jan 2009, 10:12
B2 is the way to go. :) And I would like to have a few side missions built with this aug in mind, if they will include this aug, it would make sense.

DXeXodus
22nd Jan 2009, 11:17
NO slow-mo for me thanks. I'm quite happy with not having another game with bullet time.

jordan_a
22nd Jan 2009, 11:32
EM announces slow motionDid they?

Spyhopping
22nd Jan 2009, 11:39
If it's described as part of an aug then great, people can choose to have it if that's what they want. Slowmo's great when it suddenly goes quiet, hearing empty shells hit the floor. :D

Blade_hunter
22nd Jan 2009, 11:49
I made this poll because, there is a post about "bullet time" and this one is a bit confusing, because bullet time is a form of slow motion. a form in therms of speed and effects.
I just wanted to know how much players wants slow motion and if they want what form they want the slow motion.
I don't make it because I like the slow motion, because that's not the case.

If anyone wants my own reasons why I'm not in favor of slow mo I give my reasons.

- Slow motion slow the AI and in a game that everyone wants a great AI it's a bit confusing because if they want to avoid the AI like we can do with FEAR, why we need a great AI if in DX the alternate way is the infiltration, and the fact we can choose multiple paths ?

- I just think this option would make the "Rambo" part too easy because even if I use health regen in the first DX I can't stay in front of a cannon because i will die, with slow motion if you avoid the AI you avoid the cannon and this without to have any skill in games.

- An other reason it's about the kind of power, many make complaints because in DX 2 our powers are over powered, even if the DX 2 AI helps much to win, and Slow motion is for me, A super power

- Ok if they made that as an augmentation I'm not forced to take that augmentation but, I'm not certain this fits with the deus ex game world and even because it's a prequel even if I don't wanted to see that in a sequel / midquel ....

I prefer to increase my speed than slow down the time, and it's only by pure challenge and balance reasons.

Spyhopping
22nd Jan 2009, 12:02
- Ok if they made that as an augmentation I'm not forced to take that augmentation but, I'm not certain this fits with the deus ex game world and even because it's a prequel even if I don't wanted to see that in a sequel / midquel ....

Yeah, a huge slow down wouldn't fit in with the style of DX IMO. Especially if it was not explained as an aug. Testing your own instinctive reactions and fast decision making is half of the fun... But perhaps it would fit if something very subtle was used, and you could only use it occasionally.

Necros
22nd Jan 2009, 12:15
- Slow motion slow the AI and in a game that everyone wants a great AI it's a bit confusing because if they want to avoid the AI like we can do with FEAR, why we need a great AI if in DX the alternate way is the infiltration, and the fact we can choose multiple paths ?
If it will be in the game, you won't have to use it, problem solved. :)

- I just think this option would make the "Rambo" part too easy because even if I use health regen in the first DX I can't stay in front of a cannon because i will die, with slow motion if you avoid the AI you avoid the cannon and this without to have any skill in games.
- An other reason it's about the kind of power, many make complaints because in DX 2 our powers are over powered, even if the DX 2 AI helps much to win, and Slow motion is for me, A super power
No, it won't be too powerful if they implement restrictions and/or penalties. I wrote about them before but I'm sure they can come up with more or better alternatives. Here's what I wrote:

I've been thinking a bit more about this. They could put in a restriction like this one: if you use this aug too often and/or too much your body would start to get affected negatively and it would be less effective and at some point it fails because your body can't tolerate it anymore. Of course there should be an option to fix yourself somewhere but for a lot of money, so you'd have to use it only if it's necessary.
And some of the "bosses" could have this too, along with a few random guards (highly trained, perhaps in command or richer guys). And if he/she slows you down, you could use your own aug to even out the field while everything and everybody else would be still affected.

It could be a story element then. For example one of the companies creates this aug, gives it to you to test it. And then something goes wrong, you can't use it anymore, they dump the project; or an other company hires you to destroy the original plans but you won't help them either or give them the aug (or the plans) but with some kind of fault that makes it unusable/explode in their faces -self destruct if it's the plans.
I think a slow-mo aug makes more sense in this setting because with the more advanced nano augs you won't need it, there are other/better ways to give you an advantage. Or perhaps they couldn't make it work with the nano bots.

I prefer to increase my speed than slow down the time
I'd prefer the have both options. :)

René
22nd Jan 2009, 14:30
Did they?

Good question. Can someone identify where this was "confirmed"? I don't seem to recall.

Blade_hunter
22nd Jan 2009, 14:53
Eidos Montreal say nothing about that, Ok the health regen seems to be highly controversial but the slow mo was just an Idea posted before (see the bullet time thread).
We don't know anything as far as I know ^^

If I made this poll it's just to take opinions nothing more and to clarify the difference between bullet time and slow time only.

there is a debate about this but in the poll I added some differences between each, like slowmo + speed little, slow mo, big slowmo and eventually the time freeze (the last is more for kidding ^^) but I forgot to add the option Other
but if that is the case I think any player can display his opinion I made this poll for this too, if someone wants to propose other ways...

I stay with my opinion but if the game features that, I perhaps don't use it and leave the players that want to use a slowmo aug free to play with ....

WhatsHisFace
22nd Jan 2009, 15:36
Slow-motion is a gimmick.

gamer0004
22nd Jan 2009, 16:19
Good question. Can someone identify where this was "confirmed"? I don't seem to recall.

Nowhere ofc. Just a possibility...

Jerion
22nd Jan 2009, 18:07

You and your coworkers get to keep your heads. :)

Blade_hunter
22nd Jan 2009, 19:54
After all if they release the SDK fans can add a slowmo mod ...

SemiAnonymous
22nd Jan 2009, 21:01

seems like a joke to me, at what if it was confirmed.

Anyways, I'd rather it be not included at all, I've never been a fan of slow mo stuff, I get, well, bored, trying to line up the shots in slowmo

Blade_hunter
22nd Jan 2009, 21:37
No it wasn't it's only some guys that hate the health regen at the point they think the same about slowmo ;) and they did phrases about it like it was done with the health regen in the case if it's official.

At this state it's just a simple poll, nothing more

luminar
22nd Jan 2009, 21:38
im not exactly sold on the idea of slowmo but if they do include slowmo it should be the same as the speed aug in DX:1. coming from a scientific viewpoint it doesnt really make sense that mechanical augmentations could slow down time however they could go into a form of overdrive mode giving you the same effect as the speed aug. however as far as balance is concerned after this the autohealing effect is disabled for a set period of time.

rhalibus
23rd Jan 2009, 00:52
I actually don't mind "bullet" time, with a multiple level aug slowing down time by a small amount, and the player allowed full aiming control but no movement speed advantage...As long as the aug is explained technically.

It should be an optional aug, like cloaking or targeting...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jan 2009, 11:33
I opted for "none", "no", "nought"... umm, 'no thanks' in other words. ;)
I want this game as real as possible and slowing down time (at the mo) doesn't reach that criteria.

Spiffmeister
23rd Jan 2009, 15:39
You've got the speed enhancement for dodging stuff, if you want to rush something it should be up to your own reaction time and wits, not have the computer slow stuff down for you. :cool:

Necros
23rd Jan 2009, 17:22
You've got the speed enhancement for dodging stuff, if you want to rush something it should be up to your own reaction time and wits, not have the computer slow stuff down for you. :cool:
That's why I mentioned the restrictions and penalties. And you wouldn't have to use it if you don't want to. Damn, that FEAR 2 demo was great! :cool: :D

Blade_hunter
23rd Jan 2009, 23:27
Actually when I see the poll most persons doesn't want slowmo

the persons that wants slowmo it's as an augmentation and most players wants a little slow down.
I think I need more participation to give a value at this poll.

mook333
25th Jan 2009, 15:54
if slo-mo was an aug its capability's should change with its level like
level 1: everything goes slightly slower
level 2: everything goes slower
level 3: everything but you goes slightly slower
level 4: everything but you goes slower
max level:full Hiro Nakamura style time stop for a few seconds

Blade_hunter
28th Jan 2009, 16:58
The poll is balanced I hope there is more opinions about that ...

Tracer Bong
28th Jan 2009, 21:04
A slow-mo where you slow down slightly, but so does your mouse sensitivity, and movement speed, would be nice if only for a few seconds to give you a moment to think.

It'd be the equivalent of increased reflexes; you don't move physically faster, but you can react faster.

reok
7th Feb 2009, 18:48
It'd be a pretty good aug really,
and they way it would be explained would be speeding your brain up or something?
:p

Laokin
9th Feb 2009, 07:40
If you had such a speed advantage in real life, would it speed you up or slow down everything else?

I don't want any form of slow mo, thank you very much. I think it discourages the player to fully focus on the game. In DX, we're supposed to have the good old speed enhancement instead of that, it's still an advantage against the enemies, and it forces you to react faster, instead of slowing-down-the-whole-universe EZ mode nonsense.

Slow motion could be a head aug, speed would be legs. I.E. Slow motion + speed allows you to dodge rockets and grenades and projectiles, whilst allowing you to see bullet trails so you know where enemies are.

I don't think the speed should be like FEAR, it should be minor at first, not quite fear when it's maxed. I don't see the problem with options, and there was always Zyme. So you could continue the trend of pickups that do what augs do.

Really, DX 1 had it, so I don't see why not. (although that 4 minute blurry headache was ridiculous... lol)

Sabretooth1
9th Feb 2009, 13:57
Yeah, it must have been a mod because I sure as hell don't remember slow-mo in DX. :p Zyme just gave you a huge headache.

WhatsHisFace
10th Feb 2009, 06:09
This would be a worse idea than putting slow-motion Matrix-camera effects in a movie like Ghandi.

When Ghandi is shot, imagine the camera swirling around him as the world slows to a crawl... blood spilling in 1/1000th of it's natural speed, camera panning in and out in a whirlwind of gore.

It's just completely inappropriate and would add nothing. Deus Ex 3 shouldn't have slow-motion in any form.