PDA

View Full Version : Thief on Vista for Clayboy 1

clayman
20th Jan 2009, 00:01
Starting a new thread from the sticky.

clayman :

I have read this sticky and the other for Thief 1 and need some help. Or someone to talk me out of the apparent herculean effort required to get this working. Or just a knife to slit my wrists.

I bought a laptop for clayboy #1 for Christmas and he's anxious to get Thief installed. I've not even attempted all this technical stuff yet, just reading and getting more confused the more links I click on.

There is no "evident" Run command in Vista to even try the / lgntforce command, and the error message I get as I attempt to install is as follows :

"This product cannot be installed on Windows NT due to Microsoft DirectX (TM) limitation."

His system info is as follows :

HP G60 Notebook
Vista Service Pack 1
AMD Turion Dual-Core 32 bit RM-70 2.0 ghtz
3 gb memory
NVIDIA GeForce 8200 M G video card

The best late Christmas present I could give the boy would be a fully functional Thief 1 and 2 with all 800 FMs. All these steps, fixes, patches, links etc. have me thoroughly confused. Can someone dumb this down for an old, crotchety Thief ?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

goldsla :

1) click Start
2) where it says 'Start Search' in gray text type "cmd" and it will open a command window.
3) That should get you past the "There is no "evident" Run command in Vista ... " issue.

Or you could create a bat file with the text D:\setup.exe -lgntforce in it and double click on it (assuming your CD drive is D: )

I had no trouble installing Thief to Vista ... I vaguely recall reading something about "This product cannot be installed on Windows NT due to Microsoft DirectX (TM) limitation." on some forum, this one or a more general one. Have you tried googling that message? you saw this, right?

... I remember now:
Quote:
I did a clean install from the newest copy of Thief 2 that I have from SoldOut Software. I just bought it this year at Amazon (it has both T1 and T2 on it) as a backup for my older copy (also from SoldOut). This CD claimed to be Vista Compatible. It did install with no problems, but Thief did not run cleanly and locked up.

Your old CDs may not be Vista Compatable. Buying new ones from Amazon (or someone) that are Vista compatible may be the ticket. The one I bought had both T2 and T1 Gold. My Deadly Shadows CD gets little use, but it installed just fine without being replaced. Just make sure the ad for the CD says Vista Compatable in the text.

Don't be put off by the steps above to get Thief working. It might take all of 20 minutes once you have the pieces assembled (the hex editor, 7-zip, DDFIX, Indeo codec, etc.). It really is easy, if scary. But Thief is supposed to be scary, no?

Hope this helps. PM me if you need more than can be discussed here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

clayman :

Confused still. So someone has reverse-engineered Thief (i.e. the PIRATE word comes to mind) to make it work with Vista ?

I own original 3 copies of Thief 1 and 2 and they are looking at me from the shelf right now, so I know I'm able to comfortably install this on Clayboy 1's PC with no piracy worries. But ordering add'l copies from someone else has me worried ? Or am I just not drinking enough tonight ?

Clayboy 1 is officially on the forum as of 10 minutes ago. Another generation of Thieves (hopefully).

goldsla :

Sold-Out software is not pirated software. They have a license to sell it. They have upgraded the installation side of the CDs to install on Vista. It really was cheap enough. But you may not need that if you can get to run the setup.exe with -lgntforce. I edited my message above. Try either route and see if it works.

goldsla :

Well, stricly speaking, DDFIX might fall into the category of a bit of reverse engineering. I didn't write it, so I don't know what was involved. But I don't think anyone sees it as a hack, like removing copy protection, and you have to have a copy of Thief 2 to use it. So it is not piracy. It just enhances what you bought and makes it possible to run on a modern machine.

clayman
20th Jan 2009, 00:22
Thief 1 installed successfully. Video/laptop freezes 5 seconds into launch of Bafford's or training mission. Requires ctrl/alt/del task manager shutdown.

More troubleshooting later.

Peter_Smith
21st Jan 2009, 18:13
The sticky threads do not include advice about Vista because I have never used Vista and don't plan to. I do know from various reading that Vista has its own set of problems and fixes for Thief, but I don't remember them. I would suggest that you go to TTLG and do a search for Vista. Maybe that will help. You could help us by taking notes and describing in detail what you had to do. Perhaps I could add it to the sticky.

One thing I would suggest is to save the installed EXEs as backups and make DDFIX versions of the EXEs and try those. If you have modern Nvidia hardware on that computer there is a good chance that it will not work without DDFIX. ATI may be more forgiving.

About DDFIX, it is necessary to edit a file DDFIX.INI and set the screen resolution you are using. If you don't do that, it will crash just as you have described. I use the following settings:
;Screen resolution
;Must be 800x600 or greater
gWidth=1024
gHeight=768

There is also a Thief file called cam.cfg that contains resolution settings in the field:
game_screen_size 1024 768
Those setting, which may be modified in the Thief options menu need to be consistent with the DDFIX.INI values

You may also have an issue with a wide screen monitor on a newer laptop. It will need to sync up at the resolution used by Thief. I believe that DDFIX has capability of wide screen resolutions, but Thief does not. How that plays together is something I don't know because (again) I don't have a wide screen and don't want one, for reasons of game compatibility. I suggest that you read about wide screen vs. DDFIX in the DDFIX threads at TTLG. A search for wide screen or widesccreen may help.

The tech support department at TTLG is: Legacy Gaming Technical Help (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153).

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.