PDA

View Full Version : DX3 DEV BLOG - UPDATE: Inactive Link now added to main site!

Decard
18th Jan 2009, 23:24
As I recall, dev blog should be online since december 2008 :confused:
So, what happened? Can we expect it any time soon?

Moderator Edit:

UPDATE (14 Apr 09):
Wooot! There is now a DX3 blog link here: http://eidosmontreal.com/en/games.html
Currently inactive... so "coming soon"!

Romeo
18th Jan 2009, 23:37
Without revealing anything, good things come to those who wait. :rolleyes:

Tracer Tong
18th Jan 2009, 23:46
True

Decard
19th Jan 2009, 02:00
Without revealing anything, good things come to those who wait

That's it?

jamhaw
19th Jan 2009, 03:31
That's it?

Well he did say "without revealing anything" :rolleyes: He can't tell us anything even remotely useful as that would be revealing things.

René
19th Jan 2009, 14:19
It's getting there. :) We ran into a couple of snags but it's coming...soon!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Jan 2009, 21:42
Take your time... we can wait longer (well,... just a little longer :p ). :cool:

Jerion
19th Jan 2009, 21:50
^^ *looks at watch* Yeah, My patience will run out in 5 hours...*glances at calendar*...and 5 days ago. :p

René
19th Jan 2009, 22:04
We have an internal deadline which will become known externally before long.

El_Bel
19th Jan 2009, 22:41
I guess you cant tell us what the ef is taking so long? :p

René
19th Jan 2009, 22:52
^^ Gremlins got into our network?

GmanPro
19th Jan 2009, 22:58
Damn Gremlins...

Jerion
20th Jan 2009, 00:47
^^ Gremlins got into our network?

Let me have a look at your servers, and I'll http://www.kof.invisionzone.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/robo.gif my way into your network, blast those gremlins out of there http://www.kof.invisionzone.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/laser.gif, and get that blog online! http://www.kof.invisionzone.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/whip.gif

DXeXodus
20th Jan 2009, 11:55
I guess you cant tell us what the ef is taking so long? :p

René is waiting for just the right moment to Rickroll us all :D

Tracer Tong
20th Jan 2009, 21:46
^^

hehe... It's the new dev blog! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)

Jerion
22nd Jan 2009, 03:34
Or becoming brainwashed by your computer into becoming a cyborg. http://www.kof.invisionzone.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/dudeborg.gif

AaronJ
22nd Jan 2009, 04:44
Like starving to death.

Please sir, can I have some more?

Necros
22nd Jan 2009, 10:03
Please sir, can I have some more?
http://i42.tinypic.com/mjww07.jpg

:lol: :D

DXeXodus
22nd Jan 2009, 11:20
Well. The good news is that the Dev-blog is definitely coming and that René is in fact not going to Rickroll us :). And the other good news is that it will be soon. If no more gremlins enter the system. Hooray.

Spyhopping
22nd Jan 2009, 11:48
Brilliant! About May/June 2009 then? :rasp: ;)

No, really- I'm looking forward to it :)

Necros
22nd Jan 2009, 12:05
Well. The good news is that the Dev-blog is definitely coming and that René is in fact not going to Rickroll us :). And the other good news is that it will be soon. If no more gremlins enter the system. Hooray.
Oh, this "soon" business brings up memories. :D On the Gearbox forum we heard this a lot, and one of the devs (a couple of them posted there more or less often :cool:) used it all the time, we were having in-depth dicussions about the term's meaning too. Oh, good times. :lmao:
Let's hope soon won't take too long with Eidos Montreal. :D

only one Deus ex
4th Mar 2009, 10:39
I wish there would be more than just a forum to this site. Like new updates from devs and so on. More like a real official page.. (yes I know about the intro video)

Jerion
4th Mar 2009, 10:41
The info has been circling around here, but let me say right now that there is a full official website, including a Dev Blog, in the works. When it gets here, well, only the folks at Eidos-Montréal know that.

Keir
4th Mar 2009, 10:42
There's some very cool plans afoot so stay tuned http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/p/plotting.gif

only one Deus ex
4th Mar 2009, 10:53
Ah nice to hear this. I was getting worried the project was coming to an end in a bad way when I first came to this page becuase of the frontpage, but I found the forum was active luckely.

Keir
4th Mar 2009, 11:01
Ah nice to hear this. I was getting worried the project was coming to an end in a bad way when I first came to this page becuase of the frontpage, but I found the forum was active luckely.

No need to worry. There's been loads of work going on behind the scenes and things are just about ready to go. Stick about and there will be some cool new stuff coming soon :thumbsup:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Mar 2009, 11:44
Exciting!! :cool:

Larington
4th Mar 2009, 14:10
Looking forward to this. A bit of background on the state of the world would be nice to see, for starters.

El_Bel
4th Mar 2009, 14:32
No need to worry. There's been loads of work going on behind the scenes and things are just about ready to go. Stick about and there will be some cool new stuff coming soon :thumbsup:

Soon like in a year? :rasp:

jordan_a
4th Mar 2009, 14:37
Resurrection of Keir!

Keir
4th Mar 2009, 14:42
Looking forward to this. A bit of background on the state of the world would be nice to see, for starters.

While I can't answer that just at the moment I do have to go off topic and say you have Sly Boots as your avatar :cool:

I tested Anachronox (not my fault, they got waved) and still love that game.

Larington
4th Mar 2009, 16:46
It remains one of my favourite games, a perfect example of ambition in game design. Strong humour and an emphasis on exploration and discovery, rare in the games industry even to this day.

Its biggest weakness is that the first 3 hours of gameplay is, well, really slow. Its a shame the taxi patch wasn't in game from release, it definately helps. Also, people were judgemental of low poly counts, I personally thought the quality of the character skins more than made up for that but thats not the general consensus.

I'd say the testing seemed to be mostly good, the only major issue to leak through was a crash bug if 3d audio was enabled at a certain point in the game (Cut scene at the end of Sara' solo mission) and the blame for that was clearly at the feet of the Miles Sound drivers. Also, the late-game doormaster fight had a crash bug, I don't think the actual cause of that was ever determined sadly.

Keir
4th Mar 2009, 17:21
It remains one of my favourite games, a perfect example of ambition in game design. Strong humour and an emphasis on exploration and discovery, rare in the games industry even to this day.

Its biggest weakness is that the first 3 hours of gameplay is, well, really slow. Its a shame the taxi patch wasn't in game from release, it definately helps. Also, people were judgemental of low poly counts, I personally thought the quality of the character skins more than made up for that but thats not the general consensus.

I'd say the testing seemed to be mostly good, the only major issue to leak through was a crash bug if 3d audio was enabled at a certain point in the game (Cut scene at the end of Sara' solo mission) and the blame for that was clearly at the feet of the Miles Sound drivers. Also, the late-game doormaster fight had a crash bug, I don't think the actual cause of that was ever determined sadly.

I seem to recall at the time the protracted development (and related costs) raised eyebrows and blood pressure back at head office. It also meant that the game went out lacking polish in the end, and some stuff that we'd found getting waved. I found a humdinger on the Rictus level that never got fixed.

Dated graphics and monotonous fighting aside, as you say the game design and story shine. Such humour and attention to detail. The red Bipidris! PAL-18's one liners! Eddie the Chew! It created an great world with a storyline which was epic.

Larington
4th Mar 2009, 17:27
Yeah, I remember the programmer working on the unnofficial patch moaning about how, ahem, patchy, the code was. A real shame, but I can't really hold any grudge against the management for being concerned about spiralling development costs.

AaronJ
4th Mar 2009, 19:34
I enjoyed the movie more than I enjoyed playing the game, however briefly.

SageSavage
4th Mar 2009, 19:45
I gave up on Anachronox because I disliked the controls, IIRC.

René
5th Mar 2009, 14:20
In terms of the blog, this news (http://www.edge-online.com/news/square-enix-reveals%E2%80%AD-%E2%80%ACeidos%E2%80%AD-takeover-%E2%80%ACbid) came down the pipe last month and it was followed-up by this (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/33436/Square-Enix-and-Eidos-agree-buyout-terms) yesterday. That's why the blog hasn't launched yet. If they like our plans then we will of course go ahead, but I don't know the timeframe right now. :thumb:

K^2
5th Mar 2009, 14:26
I'd like to request a song "Turning Japanese" by Vapors for the guys at Eidos.

René
5th Mar 2009, 15:19
Hehe! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhSspSOiBJw)

FrankCSIS
6th Mar 2009, 00:15
Shall I expect a Japanese flag next time I pass in front of the 400? ;)

only one Deus ex
11th Mar 2009, 09:49
Checked the site today. And i QQ'ed! There is NO awesome official DX3 page there is a forum and a movie that keeps bugging up on me >_<

Edit: spelling.

Tracer Tong
13th Apr 2009, 19:04
I may be quoting Laokin here, but I'm sick and tired of waiting for a damn blog.

October, "Get ready for a surprise soon...", December, January, March... All of these deadlines passed.

I'm getting a really bad impression about how EM treats deadlines... I really hope it won't be like that when release date comes close. I don't want another Half Life 2 pulled out on us.

It's not that hard to maintain or even start. You can even use individual blogspots or something.

Argh. :mad2:

GmanPro
13th Apr 2009, 19:05
I'm willing to wait as long as till E3 before I really start to get vocal about my displeasure...

Jerion
13th Apr 2009, 19:29
December and March were deadlines? :scratch:

Unstoppable
13th Apr 2009, 19:31
Aye if there is no new info at E3 expect an uproar in these boards. Viva la revolucion cabroooon! :nut:

Ashpolt
13th Apr 2009, 19:49
I'm fine with them skipping deadlines as long as the end product is good. I'd much rather have a fantastic, deep, involving, 98%+ review score Deus Ex 3 released in 2012 than another Invisible War 2 released in the christmas season this year.

Of course, we may well get the worst of both these worlds. :P

Oh yeah, topic....devblog....it'd be nice. I'd settle for a couple more screenshots though. Or news that Warren Spector, in a fit of rage over the direction the game is taking, has slaughtered Jean-Francois Dugas in his sleep and taken control of the project himself.

AaronJ
13th Apr 2009, 19:53
December and March were deadlines? :scratch:

December 2008 was in one of the slides of some conference, and it was you who said March.

lumpi
13th Apr 2009, 22:04
I'm getting a really bad impression about how EM treats deadlines... I really hope it won't be like that when release date comes close. I don't want another Half Life 2 pulled out on us.

Be careful what you wish for. I'd rather see a great game when it's done than a publisher-pushed, unfinished game.

jamhaw
13th Apr 2009, 23:22
Without revealing anything, good things come to those who wait. :rolleyes:

Weren't we told that last year?

I must admit I have become somewhat dispointed with the lack of information. I signed up on this forum months after viewing the trailer and I expected at least one more trailer before the end of the year, I also expected a North American game magisine to carry some information on it at some point.

WhatsHisFace
13th Apr 2009, 23:23
Weren't we told that last year?

Yes. Apparently, nothing comes to those who wait. Nothing at all.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Apr 2009, 23:31
Hey, maybe they're gearing up for a special "double-treat"? :D

Check the big question mark out: http://eidosmontreal.com :cool:

Ooooh, both would be awesome, but just the one will be good enough for now. hehe. :)

Wooot! There is now a DX3 blog link here:
http://eidosmontreal.com/en/games.html

Tracer Tong
14th Apr 2009, 00:09
IT'S AN INACTIVE LINK.

Why did you do this to me? :(

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Apr 2009, 00:19
LOL, sorry. :naughty:

Yeah, it is inactive... but that means things are happening!!!! :cool:

Unstoppable
14th Apr 2009, 01:42
The big question mark sure is funny when I already know what the secret project is lol. Spoiler warning. Thief 4 hopefully Medieval but most likely going to be in the future. This based on pre concept work done at Ionstorm and previous Eidos high rank saying the medieval thing has run it's course. Could still be set in the Medieval time line though.

WhatsHisFace
14th Apr 2009, 01:43
Hey, maybe they're gearing up for a special "double-treat"? :D

Check the big question mark out: http://eidosmontreal.com :cool:

Ooooh, both would be awesome, but just the one will be good enough for now. hehe. :)

Wooot! There is now a DX3 blog link here:
http://eidosmontreal.com/en/games.html
Or maybe it's just more of the same "keep waiting while we do nothing" modus operandi from the developers. I'm pretty sure there won't be anything there outside of maybe an E3 report and then a little article when the game is close to shipping, or has shipped.

WhatsHisFace
14th Apr 2009, 01:45
The big question mark sure is funny when I already know what the secret project is lol. Spoiler warning. Thief 4 hopefully Medieval but most likely going to be in the future. This based on pre concept work done at Ionstorm and previous Eidos high rank saying the medieval thing has run it's course. Could still be set in the Medieval time line though.

I hope Garrett can punch through walls.

AaronJ
14th Apr 2009, 01:53

I lol'd.

JCD
14th Apr 2009, 02:53
Space Marine Garrett - with a Power Hammer :lol:

GmanPro
14th Apr 2009, 03:48
Saying that the medieval setting has run it's course is ridiculous.

Unstoppable
14th Apr 2009, 04:13
It was a former exec that said it not me. Therefore there is hope that it might return.

GmanPro
14th Apr 2009, 04:35
I just hate how these modern devs think they can change everything about a game and still call it a sequel. If they really want to make a modern 'thief' game, then they can come up with their own ip. I might even buy it.

Unstoppable
14th Apr 2009, 04:51
I just hate how these modern devs think they can change everything about a game and still call it a sequel. If they really want to make a modern 'thief' game, then they can come up with their own ip. I might even buy it.

That wasn't a developer though that was an exec who no longer works for the company. So it doesn't matter what he said 3-4 years ago it might not even be considered at this point.

My theory is that they will just do something with Garrett and give him the sendoff he deserves. That way those disappointed with Deadly Shadows get what they deserve to.

However due to the low sales they might have to change many things and well I don't blame them. They have to make money like everyone else in this world to survive.

Therefore lets just wait and see what happens, no reason to form speculation/conclusions at this point.

IH-Denton
14th Apr 2009, 05:16
What you realy expect from devblog guys? Couple of spoiler phrase? Two more screenshots? Some kind of dev's confession about their boring job and life? And how long you think it will be enjoying you?
Be happy while you know nothing and be intrigued. Let the devteam doing their job.

but wtf! where is damn blog!!! give it to us!! please!!

Unstoppable
14th Apr 2009, 05:52
I say screw the devblog, they don't have time for it, neither did the Invisible War team. They did do a blog but never finished it. Time better spent on the game.

only one Deus ex
14th Apr 2009, 08:31
I say screw the devblog, they don't have time for it, neither did the Invisible War team. They did do a blog but never finished it. Time better spent on the game.

Just hire a bus-boy to run around and annoy the devs and get some info to just clickety-clack on the keyboard for all of us to see. I mean, a half-assed blog I can live with. A "This gamewill be released someday (atleast we're planing on that) and you won't be able to see ANY development what so ever while we're at it Mohahaha!" condition is not pleasing my ego

gamer0004
14th Apr 2009, 09:01

Yeah, if they don't spend their time on a dev blog they might have time left to implement universal ammo!

lumpi
14th Apr 2009, 17:46
Saying that the medieval setting has run it's course is ridiculous.

Atmosphere is so 1998.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't mind a change in setting. Medieval steam-punk robots... not my cup of tea.

GmanPro
14th Apr 2009, 19:56
Honestly, though, I wouldn't mind a change in setting. Medieval steam-punk robots... not my cup of tea.

Then don't play Thief

K^2
14th Apr 2009, 20:29
I'd like to see a modern version of Theif, but I'd also rather see it as new IP. No need to butcher a good series like that. I mean, even Ion Storm decided not to ruin it.

Necros
14th Apr 2009, 20:32
I hope you'll stand right behind it.
:p

I'd like to see a modern version of Theif, but I'd also rather see it as new IP. No need to butcher a good series like that.
Same here. :thumb:

I mean, even Ion Storm decided not to ruin it.
I thought they didn't do it because they were closed before they could start developing the game after coming up with the new concept.

And I think the devblog will be good. It won't harm the development.

lumpi
14th Apr 2009, 21:03
Then don't play Thief

Too late. One of the greatest FPS of all time, after all.
I still don't like steampunk. :rasp:

GmanPro
14th Apr 2009, 21:37
^^ Too bad, because I absolutely love steampunk. It's so rarely used, and it feels perfect for the Thief setting. I almost wish that Thief 4 is a prequel and takes place during the Metal Age again because the mechanists are so cool! :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Apr 2009, 21:51
Thief wouldn't be Thief if it was 'modern'. Just as DX wouldn't be DX in a medieval setting.

Laokin
15th Apr 2009, 01:12
It's getting there. :) We ran into a couple of snags but it's coming...soon!

soon
   /sun/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [soon] Show IPA
–adverb, -er, -est.
1. within a short period after this or that time, event, etc.: We shall know soon after he calls.
2. before long; in the near future; at an early date: Let's leave soon.
3. promptly or quickly: He came as soon as he could.
4. readily or willingly: I would as soon walk as ride.
5. early in a period of time; before the time specified is much advanced: soon at night; soon in the evening.
6. Obsolete. immediately; at once; forthwith.
—Idioms
7. sooner or later, eventually: Sooner or later his luck will run out.
8. would sooner, to prefer to: I would sooner not go to their party. Compare rather (def. 8).

I think in the past when they said soon.... they meant "Sooner of later" rather, eventually.

Don't use the word soon if it's not actually going to be soon. Better yet..... here is a better practice.... don't even announce your project until it actually comes to fruition. Then you don't have people to pester you about getting it done which therefor circumnavigates the tension that is later built trying to hit your "internal deadline."

Gawd I hate that term... for it actually means nothing. If you fail to meet your internal deadline... you just create a new one. It's not even an estimation.... it's a pure and out right guess. In development... guesses aren't announced unless your talking about science... and then they make EDUCATED guesses....(see: Theory) I.E. there is a factual reason to believe that the deadline is actually feasible.

Some one should hire me as a development manager... seems like what I thought was common sense isn't so common after all and should in fact be perceived as a gift or talent one is actually born with.

I am to Tupac Shakur, as to what D'Astous is to Soulja Boy Tell 'Em.

*Edit*

Prime example of over moderation. When I was writing up this post there was 1 page.... and Rene was only a few posts up. Moderators then went and merged a severely old topic with a brand new one and I got slapped on page 3 severely crippling my sarcastic demeanor and wit towards the term "Soon."

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=970020#post970020

Necros
15th Apr 2009, 16:03
^^ Too bad, because I absolutely love steampunk. It's so rarely used, and it feels perfect for the Thief setting. I almost wish that Thief 4 is a prequel and takes place during the Metal Age again because the mechanists are so cool! :D
Praise the Builder! :nut: :lol: It would be fun but I want a sequel to Thief 3 more than that. :)

WhatsHisFace
15th Apr 2009, 16:06
There's not really a way they could make a Thief 4 that follows Thief 3 if you consider the game's ending. It was a really good farewell to the Thief series.

SageSavage
15th Apr 2009, 16:33
It's actually a promise for a sequel (aka cliffhanger). I'll be damned if Thief 4 won't feature the kid, that tries to steal from Garret at the very end of DS.

GmanPro
15th Apr 2009, 16:44
Praise the Builder! :nut: :lol: It would be fun but I want a sequel to Thief 3 more than that. :)

Praise be to Karas ... and the builder :D :D

It's actually a promise for a sequel (aka cliffhanger). I'll be damned if Thief 4 won't feature the kid, that tries to steal from Garret at the very end of DS.

YES! Maybe the game could switch off between Garrett and the kid. Be cool.

InGroove2
15th Apr 2009, 16:56

i thought so too. though it may have been a way to close the chapter on the keepers/hammers/pegans situation.

the young girl leaves it open to a whole new era, whcih i think is a good idea in general... as not to screw too much with the past iwth a new game...

though i really kinda hope that a new game would be... say that the girl gets in trouble and garret comes out of retirement.... kind of thing.

SageSavage
15th Apr 2009, 17:05
Yeah, it's exactly like with DX3, we're all a bit anxious about losing the elements that made the original game(s) so good. Personally, I would like to play only one character and not switching between them like in certain adventures or Max Payne 2. Thief is very much about 'immersion' so it's better when you can stay in-character.

GmanPro
15th Apr 2009, 17:07
It would be kinda hard to come up with some new crisis in a new Thief game come to think of it. Each game centered around one of the three factions. In each game, they would 'lose their balance' so to speak and Garrett gets thrown into the middle of it all. I suppose that with the Keepers basically gone, that could create a power vacuum. Maybe a new faction arises? There is definitely room for something to happen. Could be interesting. We'll see.

Irate_Iguana
16th Apr 2009, 06:31
I suppose that with the Keepers basically gone, that could create a power vacuum.

Garrett took over the Keepers, reluctantly, at the end of DS, didn't he? He will probably have rebuild the order at whatever time Thief 4 is supposed to happen.

GmanPro
17th Apr 2009, 03:53
The keepers are done. Their secret base is no longer secret and all their texts have been wiped blank. They have no power, and Garrett doesn't like them, so I don't think he's going to bring them back to power. That last glyph was like almost like a fail safe. To give the power of all glyphs to one person ... at least, that's how I saw it. I think Garrett is the only one who can use glyphs now.

Irate_Iguana
17th Apr 2009, 06:18
I think Garrett is the only one who can use glyphs now.

That is why I said he took over. The old order is dead and gone. Garrett is in charge of the glyphs now. He referred to himself as a Keeper when the little girl tried to steal from him. He might not like the old order, but now he has the power to change everything. How he rebuilds the order is anybodies guess.

GmanPro
17th Apr 2009, 06:38
^^ I suppose that makes sense, but I think Garrett is a bit too apathetic to care about all that stuff.

Lol, maybe he uses his powers to form a Thieves Guild. :nut:

Unstoppable
17th Apr 2009, 06:56
^^ I suppose that makes sense, but I think Garrett is a bit too apathetic to care about all that stuff.

Lol, maybe he uses his powers to form a Thieves Guild. :nut:

Garrett changed at the end of Thief 3. Look at his hands they have keeper insignias burned into them. He would make an interesting keeper that's for sure.

El_Bel
18th Apr 2009, 00:29
Blog is up!! (http://msxb-d3.vo.llnw.net/CONTENT/IMAGES//8f/096bcf2e-1fd9-4896-a3a7-48829fe5168f.jpg)

Jerion
18th Apr 2009, 00:41
You lied to me.

El_Bel
18th Apr 2009, 00:43
What are you talking about? Have you followed the link?

Tracer Tong
18th Apr 2009, 01:36
Actually... (http://www.deusexgame.com:8080/)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Apr 2009, 20:55
^ This teasing has to stop! Its not fair... :p

Garrett changed at the end of Thief 3. Look at his hands they have keeper insignias burned into them. He would make an interesting keeper that's for sure.

Well, they say history repeats itself so I'm going for Garrett now being a Keeper Mentor to an all-new female protagonist, ie. the little girl now grown up. :cool:

Necros
24th Apr 2009, 18:26
There's not really a way they could make a Thief 4 that follows Thief 3 if you consider the game's ending. It was a really good farewell to the Thief series.
:hmm: Yes, there is. Actually with that ending they've left everything wide open, the next game can go in any direction now, bring in new factions/characters or whatever.

Well, they say history repeats itself so I'm going for Garrett now being a Keeper Mentor to an all-new female protagonist, ie. the little girl now grown up. :cool:
No, please, not that! A Thief game without Garrett as the protagonist? No taffin' way! She could appear every now and then, maybe the story could involve her too but if you want a female main character, put her in an other game that is not called Thief.

Oh, coincidence but I'm currently listening to the Thief 3 soundtrack, specifically to track 6, "The Hammers". :cool: :D

InGroove2
24th Apr 2009, 21:08
:hmm: Yes, there is. Actually with that ending they've left everything wide open, the next game can go in any direction now, bring in new factions/characters or whatever.

No, please, not that! A Thief game without Garrett as the protagonist? No taffin' way! She could appear every now and then, maybe the story could involve her too but if you want a female main character, put her in an other game that is not called Thief.

Oh, coincidence but I'm currently listening to the Thief 3 soundtrack, specifically to track 6, "The Hammers". :cool: :D

i had this thought about what if T4 had come cooperative levels with the young girl.. like you infiltrate a place together.. setting traps and distracting etc... i don't think it's the best idea... but it made me think of the following:

would it be unrealistic to develop a game where, say it was T4 and you play through as garret and there's a feature which records all of your movements through the game and you can go back as say the young girl and play parallel to you previous garret playthrough using the data it recorded when you played the first time...

it'd be like playing along with yourself (side note: in that last sentence i added the word "along" to avoid the obvious). not sure what usefulness there would be, except simply that it would be interesting.... to try and thwart YOUR previous playthrough.. you know if your garret character had AI, that is, if you interfered with him he would react certain ways according to the AI... until it was safe for him to go back to the path he was set up by your initial playthrough....

i don't know... it was just a weird idea.

Jets Connor
24th Apr 2009, 21:46
I think a cooperative playing style in thief with friendly AI has potential for extreme frustration. The amount of careful movement and perfect timing in Thief combined with the basic numb-skullery of friendly AI could result in me forgetting the "You're a thief, not a murderer" imperative. "What are you doing? I'm hiding, why are you going over there? There's a guard coming, his patrol reaches this room in about 10 seconds!" "WHO'S OUT THERE??!!" "Gah!!! Damned AI!"

InGroove2
24th Apr 2009, 21:52
I think a cooperative playing style in thief with friendly AI has potential for extreme frustration. The amount of careful movement and perfect timing in Thief combined with the basic numb-skullery of friendly AI could result in me forgetting the "You're a thief, not a murderer" imperative. "What are you doing? I'm hiding, why are you going over there? There's a guard coming, his patrol reaches this room in about 10 seconds!" "WHO'S OUT THERE??!!" "Gah!!! Damned AI!"

true, but like i said, it's not that i really liked the idea... it's that it led me to that whole other thing.... which basically i'm asking if something liek that has been done or if it's even worth being done....

GmanPro
24th Apr 2009, 22:32
^^ You could do it sparingly via scripted sequences.

FrankCSIS
24th Apr 2009, 22:55
would it be unrealistic to develop a game where, say it was T4 and you play through as garret and there's a feature which records all of your movements through the game and you can go back as say the young girl and play parallel to you previous garret playthrough using the data it recorded when you played the first time...

Wasn't there a game where you played the first half as the killer, and the second half as the cop? If I remember correctly, the second half took into account what you decided to do as the bad guy.

Surely something similar but more complex could be implemented to suit your idea, or something a little more playable anyway.

Jerion
24th Apr 2009, 22:55
^^ You could do it sparingly via scripted sequences.

Even so, It's not a good solution IMO. It would be cool for about...10 minutes. And then you would either discover some truly awesome friendly tactical stealth AI, or you would be deliberately trapping that AI buddy behind some crates or something so that it wouldn't get you seen.

Wasn't there a game where you played the first half as the killer, and the second half as the cop? If I remember correctly, the second half took into account what you decided to do as the bad guy.

Surely something similar but more complex could be implemented to suit your idea, or something like it anyway.

That would be an actually decent idea, and it could either be done so that you have 1 full-length game followed by a closely tied in, full-length expansion, or you could have different halves of the game played by different characters as you (Frank) just suggested.

GmanPro
24th Apr 2009, 23:00
No, I mean like Half-Life. In Opposing Force when you run into the portal chamber just in time to see Gordon Freeman run and jump into the portal to Xen. Only, a bit longer.

Maybe at the start of a mission, you are hiding inside of a wagon waiting for your partner to sneak over the walls of a caslte and unlock the front gate ... and just as he unlocks it, you see some dark figure jump out behind him, knock him out and drag him away. Then you're freaking out because there is someone or something inside the keep with you that you cant see. But you cant just leave because your buddy is probably inside somewhere still.

Jerion
24th Apr 2009, 23:12
No, I mean like Half-Life. In Opposing Force when you run into the portal chamber just in time to see Gordon Freeman run and jump into the portal to Xen. Only, a bit longer.

Maybe at the start of a mission, you are hiding inside of a wagon waiting for your partner to sneak over the walls of a caslte and unlock the front gate ... and just as he unlocks it, you see some dark figure jump out behind him, knock him out and drag him away. Then you're freaking out because there is someone or something inside the keep with you that you cant see. But you cant just leave because your buddy is probably inside somewhere still.

Ah. So that sort of thing. I believe I misunderstood. :)

Sabretooth1
25th Apr 2009, 03:02
Sounds like Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit. It had alternating missions where in one you play as a killer on the run (he was possessed when he committed the crime), and two cops investigating the crime and chasing him down. What you did as the killer stuck around or had an effect in the cop levels.

It's most pronounced in the first two levels, where just after the kill, you have to clear up whatever evidence you can and move out, just do anything that comes to mind. When the cops arrive on the scene, you must investigate the evidence or what's left of it, etc.

hem dazon 90
26th Apr 2009, 08:43
fellas I think the ciggarette smoking man has repressed his dev blog without shame

InGroove2
27th Apr 2009, 14:29
fellas I think the ciggarette smoking man has repressed his dev blog without shame

i'm suprised that the XFILES are not referenced more on this website, with regard to DX. i think there's alot of similarity there.

thanks for this, hem!

Irate_Iguana
28th Apr 2009, 06:09
i think there's alot of similarity there.

Indeed. They also didn't have a DevBlog.

hem dazon 90
29th Apr 2009, 02:53
i'm suprised that the XFILES are not referenced more on this website, with regard to DX. i think there's alot of similarity there.

thanks for this, hem!

speaking of x-files do you ever get a good look at the aliens?

i just finished season 2 and was wondering

jamhaw
29th Apr 2009, 03:31

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

You kind of do,(although the best look is when you simply pause your DVD ;) ) there is a black oil which is probably the aliens, it possesses people and stuff. The Grey alien is presumably a race which is possessed by the black oil aliens. The shapeshifting aliens are alien bounty hunters who whether they are possessed by the black oil is unknown. I am not sure what the people who sew their eyes shut aliens are but I have always suspected that they were the shapeshifting aliens just rebel shapeshifting aliens. The black oil aliens eventually turn out to have a lifephase where they kill the host and become a seperate creature vaguely simialer to the Xenomorph on Alien. You get a half decent look at these aliens, there are some potential other extraterrestrials, that you don't get a good look at (like the archangel or Lord Kinbote) and so can't really be sure if they even are aliens.

Perfectly Coherent right? :p

Decard
29th Apr 2009, 09:48

Season 6, episode 1.

InGroove2
29th Apr 2009, 15:06

you get many many looks at many different races of aliens at differernt times. there are the shapeshifters, the rebel aliens with the eyes sew shut, the grey aliens and variations on that. Some are engineered by the gov't as hybrids, some are legitimately aliens. the black oil is a sentient virus, it isn't an alien being. there are also the supertrooper hybrids that come in much later. you have so much more amazing story ahead of you... get ready for it to get weirder, funnier, more confusing. i think fans who ultimately get dissillusioned about the series don't like that it ends up having this really poignant side to it, an underlying foundation which is the story of mulder and scully as people. i think some views wanted it to be purely monsters/aliens and gov't.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!
You kind of do,(although the best look is when you simply pause your DVD ;) ) there is a black oil which is probably the aliens, it possesses people and stuff. The Grey alien is presumably a race which is possessed by the black oil aliens. The shapeshifting aliens are alien bounty hunters who whether they are possessed by the black oil is unknown. I am not sure what the people who sew their eyes shut aliens are but I have always suspected that they were the shapeshifting aliens just rebel shapeshifting aliens. The black oil aliens eventually turn out to have a lifephase where they kill the host and become a seperate creature vaguely simialer to the Xenomorph on Alien. You get a half decent look at these aliens, there are some potential other extraterrestrials, that you don't get a good look at (like the archangel or Lord Kinbote) and so can't really be sure if they even are aliens.

Perfectly Coherent right? :p

the oil is not an aliene being, it's a sentient virus.... just to be clear.

SPOILER!!

my favorite era is the end of season 4 and through the movie (after 5) era where mulder loses his belief that aliens exist and starts going after the GOV'T as the sole perpetrator of evil ultimately to return to his belief in aliens ONTOP of a massive gov't conspiracy... it's an amazing twist that completely ups the anty 500%.

hem dazon 90
29th Apr 2009, 22:59
thanks for all the replys

by aliens I ment the grays

jamhaw
29th Apr 2009, 23:21
the oil is not an aliene being, it's a sentient virus.... just to be clear.

Would it not be a sentient alien virus? I was pretty sure it was extraterrestrial. (although I could be wrong it has been a while since I saw the show)

InGroove2
30th Apr 2009, 01:24
Would it not be a sentient alien virus? I was pretty sure it was extraterrestrial. (although I could be wrong it has been a while since I saw the show)

well yes, the virus is extraterrestrial, but it's not an alien being... it doesn't constitute "seeing the aliens" in xfiles. i know... i nit pick.

Red
30th Apr 2009, 12:51
A nice DEV-BLOG thread you're having here...

rokstrombo
30th Apr 2009, 13:22
Perhaps it should be merged into the thread-thread... :D

InGroove2
30th Apr 2009, 13:30
A nice DEV-BLOG thread you're having here...

do you have anything you want to bring up with regards to the DEV BLOG. any comments about it? how do you feel about the information IN the DEV BLOG? do you feel that the the development decribed in this DEV BLOG is heading in a positive direction?? how do you feel the developers are doing.. you know.... based on what you see in the DEV BLOG?

oh right.

i think the irony is perfect. there's no new info, no development blog... so we're just gonna talk about xfiles.

Jerion
30th Apr 2009, 15:20
You mean the Dev Blog is being secretly repressed and covered up by the US Government? :eek:

:D

InGroove2
30th Apr 2009, 15:37
You mean the Dev Blog is being secretly repressed and covered up by the US Government? :eek:

of course.... i mean... what ELSE did you think was happening with it? :D

Irate_Iguana
30th Apr 2009, 16:47
of course.... i mean... what ELSE did you think was happening with it? :D

Toilet paper?

hem dazon 90
1st May 2009, 19:48

even worse than the goverment the syndacate which cooperates with the greys.

any attempt to lauch the blog will be violently suppressed

Tracer Tong
5th May 2009, 07:35
Kiu Eff Tea.

Double Kew Eff Tee.

What is wrong with posters around here? Always tending towards the off-topic...

In any case... What about the DEV-BLOG? Since I heard that there is an inactive link up until today I could've written a whole DEV-BLOG backend and an ugly frontend. (if of course I was a full time employee in EM)

It is taking too long. :confused:

Laokin
5th May 2009, 19:04
Double Kew Eff Tee.

What is wrong with posters around here? Always tending towards the off-topic...

In any case... What about the DEV-BLOG? Since I heard that there is an inactive link up until today I could've written a whole DEV-BLOG backend and an ugly frontend. (if of course I was a full time employee in EM)

Dude it's a blog. Hell they could just make a dedicated thread and post screens and videos and little twits and ****. That's all a Dev-Blog is. They are on twitter..... guess what, that's like half a blog. Think they would use it no?

There is simply no excuse unless they are being told no. If this is the case.... why do they keep messing with us. Dev Blog link shouldn't have even existed until the damn blog was up. We all knew it was "coming" posting an inactive link and then nothing for weeks is just pointless and wrong. Quit teasing and antagonizing us. Either tell us/show us something or don't. I'm sick of hearing soon when it actually means eventually if ever at all.

Eidos, Keep your big fat mouth shut. Learn from 3Drealms and the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco.

Jesus.

P.S.

How could you expect this forum to stay on topic.... there is no topics to talk about. DX3 Forum is a giant unorganized merge fest of general conversation. This place is a glorified chat room.

I think I'm done even checking here anymore. There is no point.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th May 2009, 19:38

Good things come to those who wait. :cool:

But, yeah, I know it can be frustrating... but I'm sure it won't be long now. :)

Decard
5th May 2009, 21:18
Good things come to those who wait. :cool:

You seriously believe in that crap?

K^2
5th May 2009, 21:32

No, of course not. Don't be silly. US Government repressing a blog for Deus Ex 3? Who'd suggest such a thing? That's just crazy talk.

It's the Canadian government.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th May 2009, 21:47
You seriously believe in that crap?

That good things come to those who wait? Or do you mean that the devblog is forthcoming?

Then, yes, absolutely (to both). :cool:

FrankCSIS
5th May 2009, 22:25
It's the Canadian government.

This man speaks the truth.

JCD
6th May 2009, 07:33
Oh my God they killed Kenny!

You bastards!

:lol:

Let's hope E3 will "unlock" certain things (new info + blog :cool: )

Tracer Tong
9th May 2009, 00:58
That good things come to those who wait? Or do you mean that the devblog is forthcoming?

Then, yes, absolutely (to both). :cool:

Good things come for those who wait eh?
Not always. RIP 3D Realms (http://www.beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=12746)

Irate_Iguana
9th May 2009, 12:00
Good things come for those who wait eh?

Duke Nukem Forever coming out would have heralded the apocalypse. It is a good thing that they went down.

Tracer Tong
9th May 2009, 21:17
lol. It will forever and infinitely stay Duke Nukem: Forever in development.

What a legend.

hem dazon 90
10th May 2009, 00:38
I geus its now duke nukem never