PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating parts about TR:U...

al-x
17th Jan 2009, 22:15
Hello:

So far in the game I got a lot of treasure but no relics yet. I am kicking open empty pottery and these spiders are a pain and the bats that come out are a pain to shoot as you wind up wasting ammo. It is also frustrating to swing, climb, and flip just to get to a treasure and say "That's all I got for doing all that?" Plus the sonar thingie in the PDA isn't doing me much good...

Don't get me wrong, I still like the game but these little things are a little annoying.

Al...

gizmo
17th Jan 2009, 22:19
I think the games great aside from the occasional animation quirks.
But I lov the game, I just think theres too many treasures and the reward is disappointing thats all

_Love2Raid_
17th Jan 2009, 22:19
The Relics are a bit harder to find than the Treasures! ;)

If you can't find them, use a walkthrough to find out their location.

The only frustrating parts of TRU, to me, are: game-ending glitches.....:hmm:
(haven't encountered any my self though (yet), but I have read a lot of 'help me' threads......)

rg_001100
18th Jan 2009, 05:48
Specifically, in Croft Manor I was frustrated with what to do after encountering the Thrall dog[s]. didn't have a clue of where to go :P

The combat can be frustrating when the enemy tigers, etc. got *really* close and evasion was pretty hard. I found the combat against the humans in the boat was a pain, and fairly limited compared to the animal/non-human combat.

As in most platforming games, it is frustrating to miss a jump and having to redo a fair amount of platforming.

billy madison
18th Jan 2009, 06:04
I was dissapointed with how short the game was.Took no time at all to beat and there were no boss fights unless you count the last level with the floating platforms as one.Also no point in finding all the relics,all you get for a reward for your pain are drawings.

Professor Black
18th Jan 2009, 06:12
The treasures unlock concept art and the relics only give you a bonus to your health so by the time you find all the relics your health bar is doubled in size but then there is really no need for it at the end of the game. I don't believe it carries over to a new game.

Samara
19th Jan 2009, 11:43
The thing that dissapointed me is the bonus outfits: there is only one...
This is boring to play the game over 50 times with the same 2 or 3 outfits... We need changes sometimes! :)

billy madison
20th Jan 2009, 02:49
This is boring to play the game over 50 times with the same 2 or 3 outfits... We need changes sometimes! :)
A way they could have helped that was to allow ANY costume in the game to be selectable on ANY level like they did with the last two games.Instead you can only use certain costumes only on certain levels which reduces their usability.

rg_001100
20th Jan 2009, 02:56
If the game was like Sims, or Barbie, and the player could choose 15 varieties of the Jungle outfit (including in pink), it would be a little odd, wouldn't you think? TR:L's outfits were excessive. Four varients of the Snow outfit, IIRC and the only variation was in colour style. I'm fine with Jacket on/off, or Pants/Shots variations, and I'm fine with Lara dressing in style, but I don't see the point in having a large wardrobe for raiding.
At least there were outfits to choose from, compared to the classic TR games. :)

A way they could have helped that was to allow ANY costume in the game to be selectable on ANY level like they did with the last two games.Instead you can only use certain costumes only on certain levels which reduces their usability.

Perhaps, but even the bikini in Nepal (http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/rg_001100/BikiniInNepal.jpg) is dull after about a minute, compared to the fun of playing through the level itself.

billy madison
20th Jan 2009, 03:03
If the game was like Sims, or Barbie, and the player could choose 15 varieties of the Jungle outfit (including in pink), it would be a little odd, wouldn't you think? TR:L's outfits were excessive. Four varients of the Snow outfit, IIRC and the only variation was in colour style. I'm fine with Jacket on/off, or Pants/Shots variations, and I'm fine with Lara dressing in style, but I don't see the point in having a large wardrobe for raiding.
At least there were outfits to choose from, compared to the classic TR games. :)

Perhaps, but even the bikini in Nepal (http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/rg_001100/BikiniInNepal.jpg) is dull after about a minute, compared to the fun of playing through the level itself.Bikini in Nepal?If you refer to one of the older games I thought the bikini was only selectable in croft manor.

rg_001100
20th Jan 2009, 03:05
Bikini in Nepal?

C'mon, that's the ultimate one, isn't it? :D In TR:L, the swimsuit outfit was only allowed in Croft Manor. Wearing it in Nepal is probably the most awesome mis-match of outfit/environment...

...and thanks to certain tools, PC players can get the Bikini for Nepal, though it gets dull after about a minute.

billy madison
20th Jan 2009, 03:08
C'mon, that's the ultimate one, isn't it? :D In TR:L, the swimsuit outfit was only allowed in Croft Manor. Wearing it in Nepal is probably the most awesome mis-match of outfit/environment...

...and thanks to certain tools, PC players can get the Bikini for Nepal, though it gets dull after about a minute.
That would be pretty funny.The closest I got to that was her ripped evening dress in Nepal.She looked pretty akward standing in the freezing snow with her skimpy dress and bare feet!

CCarver
20th Jan 2009, 06:14
Hello:

So far in the game I got a lot of treasure but no relics yet. I am kicking open empty pottery and these spiders are a pain and the bats that come out are a pain to shoot as you wind up wasting ammo. It is also frustrating to swing, climb, and flip just to get to a treasure and say "That's all I got for doing all that?" Plus the sonar thingie in the PDA isn't doing me much good...

Don't get me wrong, I still like the game but these little things are a little annoying.

Al...

I wish there were relics to find on my version!

do you have an ammo limit on the other versions? if so thats awesome!:)

Jonesy
20th Jan 2009, 08:56

The point is, having that variety to choose from made replaying the game more interesting. Saying that it isn't "realistic" is besides the point -- you yourself have stated that we don't seek realism in these games. Let the players decide what they want -- as is, Underworld has very limited replay value given the lack of incentives, and inability to do anything new.

This is yet another area where Underworld skimped on features that were welcome and entertaining in previous games.

rg_001100
20th Jan 2009, 09:11
The point is, having that variety to choose from made replaying the game more interesting. Saying that it isn't "realistic" is besides the point -- you yourself have stated that we don't seek realism in these games. Let the players decide what they want -- as is, Underworld has very limited replay value given the lack of incentives, and inability to do anything new.

This is yet another area where Underworld skimped on features that were welcome and entertaining in previous games.

Realism & Gameplay: The idea is not to go too close to realism, nor too far away from it. Realism for the benefit of gameplay. :cool:
Honestly, when I replay TR:L, and TR:A, I only select 1 outfit to replay in each level. Maybe another one if I want variety. I would rather the dev team focused on the design of the gameplay and levels within the game, rather than on what outfits Lara wears, or creating a wardrobe full of outfits.
I would say TR:L was a bit too excessive. Snow, comes in three colours, with or without the jacket... Legend outfit comes in five. Biker outfit comes in two, along with the goth (and again, with or without the jacket).
TR:A was good. There were about 10 outfits to choose from, and for any level. The outfits were all nice, and could be selected on any level.
The only thing TR:U really misses out on with outfits is hiding them via secrets as unlockables, and only limiting the player to use them in each level.

TR:L has 9 playable-in-game "Lara" outfits that are playable, TR:A has 8 playable-in-game "Lara" outfits, and TR:U has 7 playable-in-game "Lara" outfits. 8 if you include the Bathing suit which follows the same "playable" rules as the other outfits.
Allowing the outfits to be played in all levels would indeed be a good idea, though I think it's a good idea to be able to select the outfit for the level as was done in TR:U, so only having some outfits as unlockable would be good.

Jonesy
20th Jan 2009, 20:03
Realism & Gameplay: The idea is not to go too close to realism, nor too far away from it. Realism for the benefit of gameplay. :cool:

Honestly, one can go too far in apologizing for Underworld's flaws, especially when the side of the realism/entertainment spectrum one falls upon seems to depend entirely on which point of view will better defend Underworld in the current moment.

No one forced anybody to utilize all the outfits in Legend, but gamers might have preferred one or more in particular, so having that diverse array of options was great. Having that choice enhanced replaying the game again, an experience that otherwise might have become too repetitive and dull -- something that the replay experience in Underworld has been accused of in this forum repeatedly, I note.

Yes, Legend's outfits were a "flourish" or a "frill," one that wasn't absolutely necessary, but one of those additional touches that really helps make a game stand out from the pack. They showcase the level of attention and energy the game's creators have put into their product, and can help impress otherwise skeptical gamers and reviewers. Those kind of finishing touches are what Tomb Raider needs to stand out these days, and I don't accept your zero-sum assumption that putting those in must come at a cost to core gameplay.

The "nuttin' but tombs" approach is a dead end in terms of a successful franchise.

al-x
20th Jan 2009, 21:03
Hello:

I missed the relic in the Kraken room but found out where it was. I had to go WAY out of my way to get it for all the climbing and gymnastics involved. I wish getting relics were a little bit easier.

Al...

PS - What is with all this talk about Lara's clothing? It's getting a little creepy as she is only a video game character...:lol:

rg_001100
20th Jan 2009, 21:28
Honestly, one can go too far in apologizing for Underworld's flaws, especially when the side of the realism/entertainment spectrum one falls upon seems to depend entirely on which point of view will better defend Underworld in the current moment.

No one forced anybody to utilize all the outfits in Legend, but gamers might have preferred one or more in particular, so having that diverse array of options was great. Having that choice enhanced replaying the game again, an experience that otherwise might have become too repetitive and dull -- something that the replay experience in Underworld has been accused of in this forum repeatedly, I note.

Yes, Legend's outfits were a "flourish" or a "frill," one that wasn't absolutely necessary, but one of those additional touches that really helps make a game stand out from the pack. They showcase the level of attention and energy the game's creators have put into their product, and can help impress otherwise skeptical gamers and reviewers. Those kind of finishing touches are what Tomb Raider needs to stand out these days, and I don't accept your zero-sum assumption that putting those in must come at a cost to core gameplay.

The "nuttin' but tombs" approach is a dead end in terms of a successful franchise.

The variety of outfit selection is not the sole reason why TR:L is a much more replayable game than TR:U. Part of it comes in that the outfits can be selected for every level, and for the first stage of replayability, TR:L has time trials and requires that the outfits be unlocked, which TR:U doesn't have.
If AoD had outfit selection, I still would not have been impressed. I suspect that if TR:U had the same outfit selection as TR:L did (with the same set of TR:U outfits, or even with the same set of outfits as TR:L), replayability would still be lacking because of the rewards/unlockables, time-trials etc. The outfits are auxilliary at best for replay.
I would think TR:L is also more replayable than TR:U in terms of gameplay style. TR:U lacks the repetitive action that TR:L had, and focused more on the challenge of getting through an environment and the puzzles, rather than the enemies. This I don't think is so bad, it could have been fixed by allowing the replay of levels with more enemies in them. TR:L is a more casual game, and what people are looking for when replaying a game, generally.

I missed the relic in the Kraken room but found out where it was. I had to go WAY out of my way to get it for all the climbing and gymnastics involved. I wish getting relics were a little bit easier.

The relics were fine to get. There should be challenge in finding the Relics, or in getting to them.

howiesfunware
21st Jan 2009, 15:35
All games have their frustrating moments but Underworld is no where near as frustrating as Anniversary was. Anniversary had a lot of people hung up in various parts of the game.