PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft

tombraidergal
17th Jan 2009, 11:11
i just had a thought, what if they do take over tomb raider, and change everything? like its name, eg. Tomb Raiding.... change the playable characters: Lara Croft: Optional, and you can play from the badies point of view. First person, no longer able to see lara! (Possible) they could change the whole game and make it a boring blood curdling crime fighting game and no longer a tomb exploring game... :O SHOCK HORROR! what'd'you think?

oraclebop
17th Jan 2009, 11:23
They probably wouldn't change the great game play in Tomb Raider. If they did it would lose most of it's fans and then we would have no more Lara and be replaced with a Faith like character.

Puzkito
17th Jan 2009, 12:07
That's not going to happen ....

Lara Croft is a gold mine, and any company knows ...

Arctic
17th Jan 2009, 15:16
Well, then it wouldn't be TR anymore, which means that Ubisoft had made a new game. And what would be the point of taking over a popular game franchise, and then make a new game out of it and lose all it's fans? It would be the stuppidest mistake ever ;)

gizmo
17th Jan 2009, 16:21
i just had a thought, what if they do take over tomb raider, and change everything? like its name, eg. Tomb Raiding.... change the playable characters: Lara Croft: Optional, and you can play from the badies point of view. First person, no longer able to see lara! (Possible) they could change the whole game and make it a boring blood curdling crime fighting game and no longer a tomb exploring game... :O SHOCK HORROR! what'd'you think?

If that were to happen, I would buy a plane ticket, fly down to whatever city the Ubisoft studio is in, go part a lethal weapon store, get into the building in a disguise, and make my way into the room where the main tr project leader is and kill him or her or it:o

But I don't think they're that stupid that they would change the very essence of tomb raider.

rg_001100
17th Jan 2009, 18:28
They probably wouldn't change the great game play in Tomb Raider. If they did it would lose most of it's fans and then we would have no more Lara and be replaced with a Faith like character.

But I don't think they're that stupid that they would change the very essence of tomb raider.

When CD was given the reigns of TR after Core Design, the game they came out with was Tomb Raider: Legend, an action-heavy game with little or none of the elements that made the original game great. This was good for the fans not so heavily into TR, but pretty lousy for the TR fans who'd been playing since TR1. The devs heard the cries of the fans, and as a result we got TR:A, which was a lot closer to the raiding experience, and TR:U, which captures a lot of what made the original games so great. (Perhaps without the action-heavy elements that the action fans thought were great in TR:L, however, somewhat limiting the appeal of the game, to an extent).

I doubt they would change the genre of the game, but if a new developer/publisher was given TR, I wouldn't be surprised to see any game that fits within the action-adventure genre, rather than what made TR great. (I would be patient to see whether the devs would give 'TR' a go after pleading from the fans, though, rather than give up on TR).

TRA_Abomination
17th Jan 2009, 19:38

that'd be the end of the world! :eek: I have chills just thinking about it!

UMIST_For_Ever
17th Jan 2009, 20:25
If Ubisoft are reading this, PLEASE do not sacrifice gameplay for making the game look pretty - this is probably why the number of units sold was half a million less than forecasted.

Also - don't shorten levels down for the PS2 and the Wii, it is stupid and will annoy a chunk of the player-base.

josh1122
17th Jan 2009, 21:17
If Ubisoft are reading this, PLEASE do not sacrifice gameplay for making the game look pretty - this is probably why the number of units sold was half a million less than forecasted.

Also - don't shorten levels down for the PS2 and the Wii, it is stupid and will annoy a chunk of the player-base.

No. It's because the game was rushed(same scenario as CORE days so hence why bugs were found by people,legit complaint or not). Plus the reason isnt because the graphics were pretty that the game ''didnt sell well''. People are graphic whores now a days so thats definitely not correct.

One thing people seem to over look is the games Underworld had to go up against(with being rushed) and still sold 1.5m(without ps2 sales), I know someone is going to bring up the age old argument ''PS2 sales dont matter''. Which they do considering theres still a large PS2 fan base and not EVERYONE can afford to upgrade to next gen. But Underworld was going up against huge blockbuster titles

Gears 2
Fall Out 3
Fable 2
Far Cry 2
Resistance 2
Little Big Planet
Left 4 Dead

So It's not because of ''pretty graphics'' that it sold ''poorly'' (which it didnt). It's because it couldn't go up against huge hyped blockbusters. Which honestly is not surprising considering TR hasn't been extremely popular since TR 3(maybe 4). Was a great game, one of my favorite Tomb Raider games but definitely shouldve been held back a few months. Think it got too overwhelmed by the amount of games this holiday season saw.

gizmo
17th Jan 2009, 21:21
I actually saw something in a article on one site saying that Ubisoft is a possible buyer for the franchise or has put an offer in for TR, but we don't know if its true or not, theres so many rumours going around I don't know which to believe and which not to believe:)

josh1122
17th Jan 2009, 21:23
I actually saw something in a article on one site saying that Ubisoft is a possible buyer for the franchise or has put an offer in for TR, but we don't know if its true or not, theres so many rumours going around I don't know which to believe and which not to believe:)

Yeah lots of rumors going around. Won't know which is true for awhile I suspect. Any how. As long as Ubi would keep CD for TR, then I have no problems with that. I'll just take it as a ''believe it when i see it'' type scenario

OoxshlezarxoO
19th Jan 2009, 04:09
i think maybe it would be good it ubisoft took tomb raider, becuase most of there games are awesome, but if they did i think there would be something missing from the game series.

rg_001100
19th Jan 2009, 09:16
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=74939&page=6
Interesting to read what they're saying in the other forums, I think.

CatSuit&Ponytail
19th Jan 2009, 09:47
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=74939&page=6
Interesting to read what they're saying in the other forums, I think.

That was interesting. I noticed that those who have not played TR were negative :rolleyes: , and those who DID play TR:U liked it. :thumb:

AdobeArtist
20th Jan 2009, 04:50
Just going on a hypothetical argument, lets say Ubisoft does get the TR franchise. The one thing I think we could all expect from that which would be a boon to the series, would be the much much MUCH needed overhaul to the camera system. They have demonstrated great proficiency in this with the PoP games, and I would love to have that aspect in Tomb Raider. This would bring the game control up to spec so the games could be seen more favorably with gamers and critics alike.

But with all that rest, please in the name of Thor let that not come to pass!!!!!!! I only want to play as Lara, so instead of giving us character skins (see PoP) just give us more outfits to play in. No 1st person perspective. This is a platforming game, not an FPS.

And the number ONE protest, they better NOT MAKE IT CEL SHADED :mad2: :mad2:
The graphics engine and art direction they have going in Underworld is exactly right. Don't mess with that.

// Hypothesis Over

rg_001100
20th Jan 2009, 05:40
I would think that given the iconic status of both Tomb Raider, and Lara Croft, any keen developer and/or publisher that the game is passed to would be hopeful and keen to respect both TR and Lara Croft, and do what they need to to not ruin it, or turn it into something they otherwise could've made.

Professor Black
20th Jan 2009, 05:45
I agree rg, a wise Pub/Dev who is looking to capitalize on the franchise will want to do their damndest to pull in a larger audience without losing their already good proportioned fanbase.

Resy
20th Jan 2009, 07:40
The moment I played Prince of Persia, Sands of Time, I felt that this is how I always wanted Lara to be. Fluid in movement and performing some pretty awesome stunts. Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld are pretty close to the movements the prince can do.

If Ubisoft did get the rights to build the next Lara, I know the story would be very solid like PoP And I doubt they would change the controls much if at all.

I'd love to have a Ubisoft Montreal created Tomb Raider game.