PDA

View Full Version : RIP Batman (1939-2008)

CodeBlack
16th Jan 2009, 18:33
Spoilers like crazy. Be wary.

Well, after over a year and a half of foreshadowing, DC comics has done it. Bruce Wayne is now officially dead, or so it seems.

The circumstances of his death are kind of convoluted. Contrary to expectations, the long running Batman RIP storyline has pretty much nothing to do with Bats' death. Basically, he dies in the Final Crisis storyline, where Darkseid has a full on onslaught against the Earth, and has taken control of most of the planet. Batman confronts him after the Batman RIP storyline and, deciding after 6-7 decades (excluding his first couple appearances) to violate both his rule against killing and his hatred against guns just this once, shoots Darkseid with a god-killing bullet just as Darkseid incinerates him with his own attack.

Something tells me this would've been a great send of to lots of other characters (Mister Miracle comes to mind), but not Batman. It seems... off, even without the whole "Batman shoots to kill" bit. Darkseid stories have a habit of hijacking other storylines and taking center stage, and making Darkseid the most important thing in the DC universe, but, while the others work to a varying degree, this doesn't really fit right. Batman may face off against Darkseid with the Justice League, but he's more of a Superman enemy, and having Bats make that sacrifice seems kind of... forced. As if they realized too late that he didn't die in Batman RIP and figured they had to do it somehow.

TheManWhoLaughs
16th Jan 2009, 20:00
There's still 1 issue to see

HystericFreak
16th Jan 2009, 21:29
Also there's the way in which he was killed; last time someone was killed with omega beams they were actually sent back in time. He may be out there still, only the next issue will tell. =P

CodeBlack
16th Jan 2009, 22:04
They're apparently planning a storyline around finding the successor for the role of Batman. It's called "The Battle For The Cowl" or something.

TheManWhoLaughs
16th Jan 2009, 22:31
Jason Todd should become the new batman. Nightwing stays where he is, Tim Drake should become Red Robin and then you have a possible new robin

CodeBlack
16th Jan 2009, 23:06
Jason Todd should become the new batman. Nightwing stays where he is, Tim Drake should become Red Robin and then you have a possible new robin

I don't think Jason would quite fit. He's much too aggressive and impulsive to really fill Bats' shoes, even if he's less of a nut than he was during Under The Hood. Nightwing, I think, was really meant to go on his own and have his own stories, so you're right, he should stay. But Tim has been foreshadowed and alluded as being a successor to death, really.

Really, though, I don't think a Batman successor would work. Most of the biggest villains and storylines for Batman are tailor made as counters to Bruce Wayne's psyche, and they really should've patched up things with the city of Gotham before doing this. Having him killed by Darkseid leaves lots of loose ends.

Drazar
17th Jan 2009, 00:12
Batman is "death is life" his corporeal form seems pretty decomposed but he is out there somewhere, he is living a life where all dramatic **** happens and when he dies, he gets to same even more dramatic issues and so on, so his fate like Grant Morrison said was: worse than death.

Billyman
17th Jan 2009, 04:57
Also there's the way in which he was killed; last time someone was killed with omega beams they were actually sent back in time. He may be out there still, only the next issue will tell. =P

I think his charred corpse on the last page says different.

The_Hylden
17th Jan 2009, 09:31
Superman was dead. Captain America has died (but I bet you they bring him back, not just have someone to take up his mantle). Bruce Wayne is coming back, I am sure. They didn't even need to do this for sales, so it must've been just a really great concept they wanted to play out. Either way, if there's anything ever that's a constant in the world of comics, it's that no-one really ever stays truly dead, and you never know what they might bring back and throw away, as far as continuity...:p

bathead
17th Jan 2009, 09:52
Superman was dead. Captain America has died (but I bet you they bring him back, not just have someone to take up his mantle). Bruce Wayne is coming back, I am sure. They didn't even need to do this for sales, so it must've been just a really great concept they wanted to play out. Either way, if there's anything ever that's a constant in the world of comics, it's that no-one really ever stays truly dead, and you never know what they might bring back and throw away, as far as continuity...:p

No-one ever truly dies in comics ... 'cept for Bucky Barnes.

Chimaera
17th Jan 2009, 15:47
And Uncle Ben :p

In terms of new arcs and comics, I'd be very welcoming of a high detailed account of Bruce Wayne's life before Batman. I'm not very pleased with Batman dying and using a gun.

Imho, Batman was dead the second he decided using the gun was okay.

Still, is Darkseid dead?

CodeBlack
17th Jan 2009, 16:36
And Uncle Ben :p

In terms of new arcs and comics, I'd be very welcoming of a high detailed account of Bruce Wayne's life before Batman. I'm not very pleased with Batman dying and using a gun.

Imho, Batman was dead the second he decided using the gun was okay.

Still, is Darkseid dead?

Yeah. Darkseid is, apparently, dead for good.

I agree about how Batman using a gun "just this once" is such a departure of character. Really, I don't too much mind Batman dying, because none of the DC heroes could have lasted forever, and the death of a hero gives us a chance to look at the hero in a different way, in a reflective way, and truly as a shadow. It also gives the opportunity for tons of character development for those who are still alive.

However, the circumstances of his death just don't fit the character. If you're going to kill such a legendary character, you should at least give him a proper send off. This is so... out of place, like the whole Batman mythos was hijacked by Darkseid and dominated by his plotline.

Drazar
17th Jan 2009, 20:08
Think about it this way:

Darkseid is the source of all evil, he is the god of evil. He is the evil Batman has been fightning for his whole life, and he ends it the same way as Joe Chill ended his parents, thats the joke, he got the evil he was hunting for.

P N Gwinn
18th Jan 2009, 15:08
Isn't this what Bat's has been fighting for all this time, to wipe out evil? But, this is misguided because with Darkseid dead doesn't mean all evil is gone. It will still be there.:mad2:

shadowmatt18
18th Jan 2009, 18:42
you know what would suck but be a relief for fans? if it wasn't bruce and someone else shot darkseide and got killed in the bat suit. people would like the fact that bruce is alive but it almost would be like a waste of time as in all of this was just batman hype and was pointless. If he really is dead, we all know Bruce will be back because "no one is really dead in comics"

Drazar
19th Jan 2009, 00:56
Isn't this what Bat's has been fighting for all this time, to wipe out evil? But, this is misguided because with Darkseid dead doesn't mean all evil is gone. It will still be there.:mad2:

Ofcourse, but there wouldn't be any good left unless someone had stopped Darkseid, Batman did 3 awesome things:

1) Ended his cycle the way it started: a gun
2) he killed a GOD, i mean how epic is that?
3) he saves the whole planet from that anti-life thing Darkseid does.

PS. I still don't see why people call these a waste of time or pointless, you guys just wanna read the same ol' same story Batman comics and leave story progression completely out? >_>

Batman_Sauce024
19th Jan 2009, 18:46
What about Terry (Batman Beyond) I thought Bruce lives till he is an old man and has Terry be the new Batman

TheManWhoLaughs
19th Jan 2009, 18:52
Sorry pal thats the Animated Universe

CodeBlack
26th Jan 2009, 19:00
Ofcourse, but there wouldn't be any good left unless someone had stopped Darkseid, Batman did 3 awesome things:

1) Ended his cycle the way it started: a gun
2) he killed a GOD, i mean how epic is that?
3) he saves the whole planet from that anti-life thing Darkseid does.

PS. I still don't see why people call these a waste of time or pointless, you guys just wanna read the same ol' same story Batman comics and leave story progression completely out? >_>

Batman using a gun may be awesome... but it's pretty much prime character derailment. I think Batman's send off would've been better if he'd died the way he lived.

Drazar
26th Jan 2009, 19:40
You know the Omega Beam is worse than just his body turning into a pile of corpse and dust, he is now in a spirital state where he lives the horrors of his life and then dies, only to see the same thing happen again and worse. :P So yeah i can imagen him seeing his parents die in the most disgusting ways ever.

TheManWhoLaughs
26th Jan 2009, 19:53
Just for anyone who wants to know whats about to happen
There's a whole Battle for the Cowl going on during March or April I think, but it looks as though Nightwing and Robin will defend the city until the time for that comes. Check DC website for comic covers that give you summary's etc.

Drazar
28th Jan 2009, 19:27
Someone wanna explain the end of final crisis #7 to me? :P

shadowmatt18
1st Feb 2009, 03:09
Someone wanna explain the end of final crisis #7 to me? :P

check out my thread to get the answer and by the way "no one truely dies in comics" it's the law of comic books so 1939-2008 that's not true, they don't stay dead.

ysoserious1999bday
1st Feb 2009, 03:20
batman lifes on in all r hearts
:thumb:

Bloodwolf806
2nd Feb 2009, 04:39
Bruce will be back.

FrozenInferno
2nd Feb 2009, 04:48
Spoilers......

Batman is still alive. At the last page of Final Crisis #7, it shows Bruce in the past, in a cave.

GoranAgar
2nd Feb 2009, 16:31
I stopped reading Detective Comics around the time when Bane broke Batmans back, so I have no clue what happened in the mean time. With my mind set in that universe, the day Batmans starts shooting people Superman has to take him out of the game. And he would.

Is that Darkseid you mention the Darkseid from Acropolis? The one even Superman never lays hands on? Batman is up again him? Pffft.

jhonnyboy
8th Feb 2009, 00:00
Hey guys i haven't followed batman too well in the comics. I just got off the phone with a comic book store owner and he said the RIP series goes from 676-681. Batman doesn't die in this series? I thought he did. The comic book store owner told me that after rip it goes to 82-83 of last rights and that he dies at final crysis #6?? :scratch:

This is all confusing to me since all i hear is that he dies @ RIP. I would like to get the collection of the series of were he dies. I believe RIP is were he dies and were robin betrays him??

Any insight would be awesome. Thanks guys!!

CodeBlack
9th Feb 2009, 17:07
Hey guys i haven't followed batman too well in the comics. I just got off the phone with a comic book store owner and he said the RIP series goes from 676-681. Batman doesn't die in this series? I thought he did. The comic book store owner told me that after rip it goes to 82-83 of last rights and that he dies at final crysis #6?? :scratch:

This is all confusing to me since all i hear is that he dies @ RIP. I would like to get the collection of the series of were he dies. I believe RIP is were he dies and were robin betrays him??

Any insight would be awesome. Thanks guys!!

Check out the first post on this page.

As for Robin betraying him, you might mean Jason Todd, who came back from the dead a few years ago and turned into a murderous vigilante, but that's not really related to his death.

Is that Darkseid you mention the Darkseid from Acropolis? The one even Superman never lays hands on? Batman is up again him? Pffft.

Well, Bats has gone up against Darkseid before and won, but never in a straight fight, but here it just seems like they just hijacked Bats' story to Final Crisis and had Darkseid kill him... kind of suddenly and randomly. The circumstances weren't exactly great.

tomstoyz
10th Feb 2009, 07:38
:rasp: Bruce Wayne will be back because the real Batman is DC's #1 cash cow!

supafuz
12th Feb 2009, 22:16
Batman is in the past, and i am glad that he is not actually dead. but DC, would not kill him off. Batman is the second best thing that DC has going for them right now... right behind the current Green Lantern and GL corps arcs

thewrongvine
13th Feb 2009, 02:08
I'm guessing this is all from the Graphic Novels and possibly animated series?

I prefer to stick with the modern-Batman and his movies and stuff. :D

But I'mma start entering the 'tru batman world'. How nerdy is that... :)

HystericFreak
13th Feb 2009, 02:34
I'm guessing this is all from the Graphic Novels and possibly animated series?

I prefer to stick with the modern-Batman and his movies and stuff. :D

But I'mma start entering the 'tru batman world'. How nerdy is that... :)

Only as nerdy as the word 'tru'; in a forum for a game based on a comic book hero you aren't going to find many people calling you nerdy for wanting to learn about the comics etc. =P