PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex ....Computer company?

dixieflatline
16th Jan 2009, 02:01
I came across this website today and I couldn't believe it. Unless there was some marketing deal I never heard about -- this seems to be one of those cases of 'obliviously stolen, but not copied well enough to be sued' kind of situations:

http://www.deus-ex.com.au/

What do you guys think? I think Deus Ex would be a good brand image for a computer seller, but I'm pretty much against anyone ripping of ideas without giving the proper respect to the people who came up with it in the first place. Or do you guys see this more as a sort of homage?

qJohnnyp
16th Jan 2009, 02:04
I came across this website today and I couldn't believe it. Unless there was some marketing deal I never heard about, this like one of those cases of 'obliviously stolen, but not copied well enough to be sued' kind of situations:

http://www.deus-ex.com.au/

What do you guys think? I think Deus Ex would be a good brand image for a computer seller, but I'm pretty much against anyone ripping of ideas without giving the proper respect to the people who came up with it in the first place. Or do you guys see this more as a sort of homage?

Well, actually this might count as copyright infridgement. It's the same industry.

Malah
16th Jan 2009, 02:54
Notice the fonts they use. Quad Damage, Crosshair, Velocitas. I'm not sure what the last one is supposed to be, but the first two are obviously Quake and Crossfire...

If you're gonna do it, why not go all the way, right? :rasp:

dixieflatline
16th Jan 2009, 04:08
'Cuz you might get sued ? Hehe.

3nails4you
16th Jan 2009, 04:26
Not exactly the same industry - games are in the entertainment category, while computers are considered technology. Plus, since it has an Australia domain thingy, it may be out of the same jurisdiction, preventing law suits. It does seem cheap and knock-off-ish, but I doubt it's suable.

PugPug
16th Jan 2009, 04:44
The splash screen logo looks like it came right out of a Deus Ex game. It was clearly intentional. Eidos should take em for all they're worth!

Sabretooth1
16th Jan 2009, 07:05
That's definitely intentional. The logo and typeface and stuff, too much of a resemblance to Deus Ex to be accidental. Or perhaps it is all an Eidos conspiracy/viral marketing? o.O

K^2
16th Jan 2009, 08:18
It's just someone's basement operation. Look at the cases on the PCs. They are all stock. In fact, I'm using the same case as VELOCITAS for my machine.

Oh, and their prices are ridiculous for such an operation. The markup is nearly 100%. If Eidos sends them a Cease and Desist, they would be doing everyone a favor.

Spyhopping
16th Jan 2009, 11:16
I came across that website very recently when I was looking for a Deus ex font. So its probably only recently appeared. I didn't think much of it though

Heh, we are like Eidos' copyright police :D

DXeXodus
16th Jan 2009, 11:24
I agree that it does look incredibly similar to something one would expect to see in a Deus Ex game.

But if the idea that they are going for is the whole "God from a machine" thing, i.e. Amazingly powerful gaming machines, then they are on the right track I suppose. All they are missing from the title is the "Machina" part :D

But apart from that, Meh.

rokstrombo
16th Jan 2009, 11:27
Originally Posted in their FAQ (http://www.deus-ex.com.au/info_faq.php):
Are you affiliated with the ‘Deus Ex’ series of videogames?

No, we are not affiliated with the Deus Ex video game titles; they remain the registered trademark of their copyright holder.

Their site is very detailed and it appears they take a lot of pride in what they do. However I think their prices are far too high for them to compete with stores offering less personalised services. Another problem is that I would imagine the few customers who would care for such a service are quite capable of building and customising their own PCs using parts bought from cheaper computer warehouses. I don't think it's feasible for computer stores to provide this level of service given that the value and relative performance of gaming computers depreciate too quickly for most people to justify the additional expense of a premium product.

Rondog
16th Jan 2009, 13:33
Being from Aus myself, while a great idea. It wont work there are other alternatives available that offer the same thing at a cheaper rate.

spm1138
16th Jan 2009, 14:24
You guys do know that Ion Storm didn't invent the phrase?

qJohnnyp
16th Jan 2009, 14:31
You guys do know that Ion Storm didn't invent the phrase?

no, but it's now a franchise name in the gaming industry, one that can't be infringed. Along with logos, and that logo is very similar to the one made by Ion Storm.
But yeah, it's a different industry... So no cause for lawsuit I guess. Leave that to lawyers

Radius86
16th Jan 2009, 17:35
It's not just the logo though. They have strikingly similar fonts and colours as well. I wouldn't half expect JC to turn up on the side, in a pop up, grinning and holding a cabinet.

spm1138
16th Jan 2009, 17:35
no, but it's now a franchise name in the gaming industry, one that can't be infringed. Along with logos, and that logo is very similar to the one made by Ion Storm.
But yeah, it's a different industry... So no cause for lawsuit I guess. Leave that to lawyers

Actually companies from different industries can and do sue each other.

Apple Records had a longstanding dispute with Apple Computers.

It's why you can't get Beatles records on iTunes.

But as I say, I think the trademark for the phrase belongs to Horace.

rhalibus
16th Jan 2009, 20:27
The Apple Records / Apple Computers feud only got ugly when Apple Computers started selling music...

This Deus Ex company looks like it's really pushing the copyright envelope. Ironically, many game companies pay gaming computer companies to do just what this company is doing (as far as I know)...:)