PDA

View Full Version : Pro: DeusEx3 for Mac

Britzel
16th Jan 2009, 01:27
Hi there!

When I heared that Eidos-Montreal is working on the 3rd part of my favourite Computer game ever - DeusEx (DX) - the first thing I did was entering these Forums here, to find out, if a Mac Version is planed. I found the sad answer in the platforms thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=83312), that the only certain platform where Eidos aims to release DX3 on is PC.

Since i am a Mac user for a while now, this is bad news ;). As I know that there in fact is a rising Mac-Gamer comunity - especially when it comes to smart designed games like DX is one, or EVE-Online - the interest of the Mac users is in fact there.

So what is this thread about:
I thought it is worth a shot to try to gather some Mac-users here, who would like to see a DX3 Mac version as well. As the game is said to be in an early state of development, maybe we can succeed, and show Eidos, that our comunity is not so small, and that a Mac release indeed would make sense!

For reasons of clarity I would appeal to all users to keep this thred clean. So please don't start platform-patriotic discussions or spam here. ;)

So to all Mac users out there:
If you would like to see a Mac release of DeusEx3 - tell us here! Tell us why, and if you would be able to play DX3 too, when there is just a PC release. Also if you played one or both of the good old DX games - DeusEx and Invisible War - let us know, and let us know if you would buy a Mac version of them (that would run on intel Macs, running OSX).

I for myself:
I would definately buy DeusEx3 if there'd be a Mac release! In contrast i wouldn't buy a PC version, as i don't have a PC anymore, and am not planing to buy one. I also don't have a Windows copy to run bootcamp.
I own both, DeusEx and Invisible War, both for PC. Sadly I can't play hem anymore now. But I would buy a Mac version of them anytime if it would be available - sadly they aren't (DX is, but not for OSX).

K, i hope some more brothers will appear here :). If not: It was worth a shot - I'd do even more scary things to get this game released on Mac :thumb: .

go ahead ppl:D

So to sum the so-far-results a bit:
Well, not a suprise, most ppl who support the idea are Mac users. ;) Among them, there are some, that would definately not buy a PC version of DX3 in the case, that there will be no Mac version. Others, and perhaps the bigger part so far, can life with the idea to buy the PC-version, and run it on Bootcamp. But so far all Mac users would prefer the Mac-version to the PC-version, if they had the joice.
Some even would like to see a rerelease of DX1&IW on MacOSX.
I am very happy also to see PC users, who support the Mac-version idea, because they will have the PC version anyway, but in the same time like the idea, that also users of other platforms can enjoy this game.:thumb:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Jan 2009, 01:40
Good luck with finding support! :)

I'm afraid I don't have much experience with Macs, so cannot contribute to this discussion myself, sorry. :o

3nails4you
16th Jan 2009, 02:40
Solution: forget Macs and only use a PC! Macs will only poison your soul into only using them despite their inferiority: I recommend and immediate switch and rehabilitation!

In all seriousness though, Macs are good for stuff like school and work, but for gaming you really do need to save up and buy a decent PC or at least (can't believe I'm saying this) a console.

Malah
16th Jan 2009, 02:46
In all seriousness though, Macs are good for stuff like school and work, but for gaming you really do need to save up and buy a decent PC or at least (can't believe I'm saying this) a console.

The OP wants to play actual games on a Mac and you're saying "save up for a decent PC". It would have cost 1/4th of what the Jobs-Box did...?

Seriously Britzel. Fruit & CO use the same parts as everyone else but charge you tenfold.

Jerion
16th Jan 2009, 03:36
Instead of bashing this guy for his choice of platform, how about contributing to the topic? :)

I too, would like to see this game for Mac. However, if it isn't made for OS X, no skin off my nose. I'll just use the Windows XP partition for it, like nearly every other game I've bought in the last year. Honestly, the Mac is becoming a solid gaming platform. Not only can you run windows XP/Vista/7 natively, and thus windows games, there are also a large variety of games made for Mac OS X. The graphics cards aren't quite top-of-the-line, but I don't consider that a problem.

Now, the only way that the CD engine could be ported to Mac before the game's release would be to use Transgaming's Cider- a good solution, but not a great one.

3nails4you
16th Jan 2009, 03:47
Instead of bashing this guy for his choice of platform, how about contributing to the topic? :)

I wasn't bashing him at all, I was just respectfully saying that IMO PC's are easier to use and more efficient than Macs for gaming. There was some joking thrown in there, for the simple reason that I hate using Macs 0.o but nothing disrespectful :D

The OP wants to play actual games on a Mac and you're saying "save up for a decent PC". It would have cost 1/4th of what the Jobs-Box did...?

Seriously Britzel. Fruit & CO use the same parts as everyone else but charge you tenfold.

:D Well I know if I had shelled out the cash for a Mac I would need to save up for a new compy 0.o then again I'm in college - I don't have money, lol.

And I know EXACTLY what you mean. An iPod nano costs, what, $150? An equivalent Sony or Sandisk? $40 MAX. Got mine new for around 30 :D

MaxxQ1
16th Jan 2009, 04:46
Hell, even my sister and her husband, who are both die-hard Mac users, admit that for gaming, a PC is the way to go.

I seriously doubt a Mac version will be made, but on the off-chance it does happen, I'll bet that it will be released months later after EM hands it off to a third-party to port it over.

I just don't understand why the OP would go with a system that can't play the games he enjoys, then refuse to at least invest in a copy of Windoze and run bootcamp. That would certainly be cheaper than investing in a new PC, and would allow him to play games, especially since there's so little demand for Mac games in general.

iWait
16th Jan 2009, 05:34
I completely agree with most posters here, PC's are waaay superior for gaming purposes. However, Macs are easily the most efficient, streamline, user-friendly, and safe computers out there.
Now, there may be some people that say Linux is the way to go. That is an outright lie, I hope that both the Mac fans and PC fans will recognize this.

I personally have a MacBook (Internet/General Purpose) and a desktop with Vista (Never has touched non application-integrated Internets), which I use mostly for gaming/loooooooooooooongcat excel spreadsheets. Sometimes I do my writing there, but I usually use my MacBook so I can stay in bed with a cup of tea.

So far it's worked out pretty well, Mac is a good deal safer for sub-space travel through the Intertubes, while the PC can actually use the 80% of applications out there my Mac can't.
Mac is 2 years old now, PC is 9 months (last one crashed because, well, let's just say it took a trip to the "Red Light District" and contracted AIDS.

Samsas Traum
16th Jan 2009, 11:40
I would never buy a PC, or contaminate my Macs with Windows.

So i will never play DE3 ...

MattColes
16th Jan 2009, 13:43
with the new macs you can have both windows and mac os installed. the bootcamp trial is on the apple site.
personally i don't think there will be a dx3 port to the mac as mac games are getting more and more rare these days.

El_Bel
16th Jan 2009, 14:34
I would never buy a PC, or contaminate my Macs with Windows.

So i will never play DE3 ...

I want to comment that, but Eidos forum has rules against sexist comments..

But i had a friend once, who said the same things. He was married... in Amsterdam...

Oh, here is a nice south park!! I think you will like it!! I like the ending soooo much! I think you will like it too!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fil8lsPCfC4

(jump to 4.45)

MattColes
16th Jan 2009, 14:44
oh and there's a patch for deus ex 1 with os x support. I had it running on my mac a while back

foxberg
16th Jan 2009, 18:13
IMO PC's are easier to use

On which planet?

If you compare a Mac to a vase then PC would be a toilet bowl.

Almost all big PC titles are available now as Cider ports. Alternatively you could play games using Boot Camp or Parallels. I think it's even better that not all games are being released for Macs. This way only the better ones filter through to be ported. The rest of the junk is left for PC users to play.

I have six different Macs at home and one more at work. When I come near PC I think I start to have allergies. And for all of you PC lovers you should have attended Macworld Expo last week in San Francisco. That would have changed your mind in a heartbeat.
But then of course, Macs are more expensive. You can buy a PC junk box for around $400.00 with the monitor.

Malah
16th Jan 2009, 18:50
I have six different Macs at home and one more at work. When I come near PC I think I start to have allergies. And for all of you PC lovers you should have attended Macworld Expo last week in San Francisco. That would have changed your mind in a heartbeat.
But then of course, Macs are more expensive. You can buy a PC junk box for around $400.00 with the monitor.
I've been waiting for one of your kind to show up.

Special hardware for special people. :rolleyes:

El_Bel
16th Jan 2009, 20:39
There are two of them already!! Prepare the minigun!!

Ok, ban be damned. What kind of stinky SH1 T do you have in your efing heads instead of brains to say phrases like "When I come near PC I think I start to have allergies." or "I would never contaminate my Macs with Windows." Seriously, dude, when humans started to meddle with natural selection (call me In vitro fertilization) all sorts of people started to born. You had to be a dead sperm right now..

Ok you bought the damn thing. Cant you keep it for your ******* self? For ****s sake. Cant you just Shut The **** up already? Ok, we get it, mac are kind of better than windows. Do you have to barg about it all the time? Its an OS god damn it! Not a ******* social movement!! I might accept free softwere as movement, but you just go aroun saying "Oooooh, looooook my mac is sooooooo gooooood, it can do aaaaaaaaanyhing!! Its sooooooooooo stylish.. Oh, tseeeeeeezus nooooo, i cant stand pc's. If i touch one my style will be ruined!! What all the other mac users will say if they find out? They will not touch my weenie agaiiiiin!! And windows dont JUST WORK, ok? So i will not touch them ever. Ok? OH. MON. DIEU. My tights just snagged!! Happy now? I must go to my Mac to fix them."

What a bunch of whining little maggots you are.

Jerion
16th Jan 2009, 21:17
^^ You seem to be having issues. Can I take care of this for you with a warning?

El_Bel
16th Jan 2009, 21:33
Well i hope i have not offended anyone who is gay.. I know that gay man dont act like that, but as an Internet slang we call gay this kind of behavior.

Oh and i got my my first infraction :p Hooray!!! :D

SemiAnonymous
16th Jan 2009, 22:44
Just throwing it out there, I agree with El Bel. Some people find Mac's better, whoopity doo. I hate them. Moving on.

The only reason I'd really care if this game gets a Mac for is to boost the sales numbers. I want to see this game get some nice, pretty numbers, and a Mac port would help it along.

MattColes
17th Jan 2009, 01:08
Well I have had both mac and pc. In Australia mac's have terrible support and the mac's i have had have had soo many hardware issues whereas my self built pc's and dells that I own have never had too many problems.

Mac's are good, have their advantages, but their tech is still behind that of a pc, their is poor support and for graphics design and 3d work as they were designed for they have performed poorly. Mind me but these are current gen mac's which are top of the line.

Windows PC's have their own problems too, like you actually have to know your stuff about computers when you have a problem and crashes are almost as constant as mac's in highend 3d programs like maya and z brush.

I don't really get Mac superiority, in the end it really annoys me as it's very narrow minded. I am a user of both pc and mac. Unlike what apple and mac users say, the visual design is the only added bonus to having a mac. Elsewise it has the same, if not more problems than a pc.

In the end, mac's have bootcamp. Apple realised to actually open up the range of software available to it's users, it would have to do this. Also their whole new left and right click in one button implementation is still very annoying compared to the simple two button mouse on a pc

Jerion
17th Jan 2009, 01:17
This is not a Mac Vs PC thread; this is about whether or not DX 3 should be ported to Mac. I know it's hard to keep the two separate, but I don't want this to turn into a Mac Vs. PC flame thread.

That said, I think bringing DX 3 to Mac would give the game more overall sales, and give Eidos another Mac title, something that has been lacking lately.

MattColes
17th Jan 2009, 01:20
oh and i'd love to see deus ex 3 on as many platforms as possible making it available to everyone :D. So i support the mac port idea :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Jan 2009, 21:10
^
It's good to keep open-minded.
Long live diversity!!! :cool:

Digitaldruid
17th Jan 2009, 21:57
maybe EM can add a new faction to dx3 "the cult of the mac" all card carrying members are given free aug canisters and trashing a pc in game earns you 100 skill points. :rasp: :D :D

gamer0004
18th Jan 2009, 13:15
Ok, we get it, mac are kind of better than windows.

You are mistaken. Windows 98 and XP were very good. The problem is that with Vista Microsoft is trying to copy MAc in a bad way. Mac is for people in the category 40+ year old people who want to use a computer because it is so useful, but don't want to know anything about it. To learn how to use a mac you'll need about 30 mins instruction, and you'll never have to learn anything again. To learn how to use windows you'll need about 5 mins, but you'll have to keep on learning new things, solving problems, that kind of stuff, because else you're doomed and your pc will crash all the time.
Problem is that I liked 98 and XP because they were not well organised and accesible like Mac. It's a bit like my room. It's a total mess, but if I want to find something I can find it within a couple of seconds. Whereas when it is cleaned up I can't find anything anymore, because everything is hidden in closets and on shelves and such. In 98 or xp there are like dozens of possibilities to change the same setting. In Vista there is one or, if you're lucky, two, in a place where you for sure won't be looking. Really, to change the sleep button to the shut down button (which is the only one I ever use), you'll have to look in the "advanced power settings panel". When I was checking the control panel, there were four categories of which me and my friend were immediately said to each other "okay, we don't have to try this one because we won't find it there for sure". And one of those four was "advanced power settings panel". What for god's sake does "power settings" have to do with the location of the shut down button? It is a matter of accesibility, of taskbar and start menu, maybe system or display, but not power settings. In mac you can at least find it, becuase that is at least intuitive. If it was easy to play games on Mac or Linux I would've been using that, but unfortunately it isn't. I really do hope they've changed all this in Windows 7, but I'm afraid they won't have.

3nails4you
19th Jan 2009, 01:24
Well, you explained that nicely and all, but I got Vista Ultimate and I picked it up and started doing everything I needed. I found everything extremely easy and it has worked wonderfully for 8 months. Macs, however, are very confusing to me and if you want to do something (like play a simple game) you have to install an entire new OS on top of the other one, then learn that one. I would rather use something which was compatible with everything than buy a very expensive computer, only to find that 1/10th of programs I liked work on it.

c0ma
19th Jan 2009, 02:00
I would very much like to see DX3 (and, in fact, the other two) available for OS X. While it's true that Intel-based Macs can now run Windows quite easily, I'd still rather have a Mac version.

And, incidentally, there's nothing inherently better about PCs for gaming, except that there are so many more games available for the Windows platform. It's not like it's more difficult to write programs for the Mac, or that the system runs more slowly, or anything like that; it's just that there are more PCs out there, so you can make more money if you write programs for PCs.

gamer0004
19th Jan 2009, 18:29
Well, you explained that nicely and all, but I got Vista Ultimate and I picked it up and started doing everything I needed. I found everything extremely easy and it has worked wonderfully for 8 months. Macs, however, are very confusing to me and if you want to do something (like play a simple game) you have to install an entire new OS on top of the other one, then learn that one. I would rather use something which was compatible with everything than buy a very expensive computer, only to find that 1/10th of programs I liked work on it.

I quite agree. That is exactly the reason why I am still using XP. Of course, I don't like the cleaned up and accesible OS called Mac anyway, but I prefer that to a "cleaned up and accesible" OS called Vista which looks like utter crap, works like utter crap, and doesn't care about its customers.

3nails4you
19th Jan 2009, 22:06
I quite agree. That is exactly the reason why I am still using XP. Of course, I don't like the cleaned up and accesible OS called Mac anyway, but I prefer that to a "cleaned up and accesible" OS called Vista which looks like utter crap, works like utter crap, and doesn't care about its customers.

Everyone keeps saying that Vista looks and works horribly, but like I said I have been running Vista and haven't had any problems, I think it looks and is structured great, and I LOVE it! I did have one problem with an update, but that was the fault of my PC and when I called Windows they immediately answered my questions and helped me resolve the issue. It was fast and it worked, and I don't call that not caring about its customers.

Britzel
19th Jan 2009, 22:12
Hi there.

Taken some time to come back here for me (a in quite some stress currently^^). But now I'm back.

Thanx to the few supports from users who understood the idea of this thread!

To the bigger amount of ppl who either didn't understand the idea behind it, or who didn't read the startin post properly, i want to remind again, that this has never planed to be a Mac vs. PC thread - so please have this kind of discussions somewhere else.;)

Well, not a suprise, most ppl who support the idea are Mac users. ;) Among them, there are some, that would definately not buy a PC version of DX3 in the case, that there will be no Mac version. Others, and perhaps the bigger part so far, can life with the idea to buy the PC-version, and run it on Bootcamp. But so far all Mac users would prefer the Mac-version to the PC-version, if they had the joice.
I am very happy also to see PC users, who support the Mac-version idea, because they will have the PC version anyway, but in the same time like the idea, that also users of other platforms can enjoy this game.:thumb:

I am quite happy with the quality of this results, but the quantity should still gain much much more :rolleyes: . Anyway.. maybe there will be comming more. Everyone who wants to support me - feel free to link this thread in Mac forums :).

so long.. :cool:

GmanPro
19th Jan 2009, 22:19
Everyone keeps saying that Vista looks and works horribly, but like I said I have been running Vista and haven't had any problems, I think it looks and is structured great, and I LOVE it! I did have one problem with an update, but that was the fault of my PC and when I called Windows they immediately answered my questions and helped me resolve the issue. It was fast and it worked, and I don't call that not caring about its customers.

The reason that I still use XP is because I don't appreciate having to deal with an OS that thinks I'm an idiot. All I want out of an OS is a clean canvas that gives me 100% control of my own system and is compatible with any program I choose to use. I feel like ripping off my shirt and turning into the hulk whenever Vista asks me if the program that I just loaded has my 'permission' to run. OF COURSE IT DOES! RuuuaaAAAARRGH!

3nails4you
19th Jan 2009, 23:14
It's not that hard to wipe everything with Vista and make everything how you want it, at least for the most part. Setting up permissions for running things isn't hard either. People just use XP because it IS easier than changing all those settings. The great thing about Vista is that, with a little work, Vista can be customized to fit everyone, whereas with a Mac you have to customize to fit IT.

Sorry for posting these PC vs. Mac things, I started out just trying to say that I preferred a PC but it turned into a whole exploded thing :P

El_Bel
19th Jan 2009, 23:29
Hi there.

Taken some time to come back here for me (a in quite some stress currently^^). But now I'm back.

Thanx to the few supports from users who understood the idea of this thread!

To the bigger amount of ppl who either didn't understand the idea behind it, or who didn't read the startin post properly, i want to remind again, that this has never planed to be a Mac vs. PC thread - so please have this kind of discussions somewhere else.;)

I am quite happy with the quality of this results, but the quantity should still gain much much more :rolleyes: . Anyway.. maybe there will be comming more. Everyone who wants to support me - feel free to link this thread in Mac forums :).

so long.. :cool:

Yeah after that, we should post it in Linux forums. And PS3 forums. And we will have 10000 new members with one post each. Oh thats fun :D

A lot new fan boys :D Thank you Santa :p

At least all new members should vote for Deus Ex here.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=74288&page=11

With project T soon too come we will need the votes.

foxberg
20th Jan 2009, 17:37
...Some even would like to see a rerelease of DX1&IW on MacOSX...

FYI, I just finished (again) DX1 on Intel Mac.

Tstorm
20th Jan 2009, 22:25
Ok. Now, the main things about macs, what age group are they targeted at ? The young. Which age group do they belong in ? The elderly. Macs are mainly for people who dont know where the on/off button is. They are the type of people that read the entire manual for some software they bought before installing it. Making a game for a brand of computers that emphasize on videos and photos would be a waste of time becuase gamers buy PC's, which are highly customizable into work horses capable of running games well and artists with too much time on their hands and not enough money to pay rent buy Macs. For the couple of young fools out there that bought a mac and decided they want to play a recent game ---->:lmao: :rasp: :nut: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although mac is trying to get into the gaming bussiness people are reluctant to make games for them. ( I saw this when I walked into a Mac store, which was and probably will be the worst choice of my life and saw the 4 games on sale huddled in the corner designed for macs). If im wrong and macs are great gaming machines I invite you to prove me wrong.

Britzel
20th Jan 2009, 23:13
FYI, I just finished (again) DX1 on Intel Mac.

Hi foxberg :). Can you please Link me to the OSX patch?

EDIT:
If you are sure about what you are saying: Go ahead, and update the DeusEx site on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex), as it's saying:

The Macintosh version of the game, released shortly after the PC version, was shipped with the same capabilities and can also be patched to enable multiplayer support.[44][45] However, publisher Aspyr Media did not release any subsequent editions of the game or any additional patches. As such, the game is only supported in Mac OS 9 and the "Classic" environment in Mac OS X, neither of which are compatible with Intel-based Macs. The PC version will run on Intel-based Macs using Boot Camp or other software to boot Microsoft Windows.

binlargin
21st Jan 2009, 02:53
Your best option for running Deus Ex 3 on a Mac will be VMWare Fusion. It supports D3D9 anyway and will maybe support D3D10 by the time the game is released-

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/features.html

foxberg
21st Jan 2009, 03:21
Hi foxberg :). Can you please Link me to the OSX patch?

If you have an access to Demonoid (I'm not even sure if I can mention this site over here) you'll find an Intel Cider port there. This is not an official release.

Your best option for running Deus Ex 3 on a Mac will be VMWare Fusion. It supports D3D9 anyway and will maybe support D3D10 by the time the game is released-

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/features.html

By the time DX3 comes out there should be an appropriately developed version of Cider to port the game. With Macs having an Intel architecture now porting software should become quite easy in time. Besides, there's CrossOver Games software that let's you run PC games on Mac (and there's CrossOver Mac to run Windows programs)

Ok. Now, the main things about macs, what age group are they targeted at ? The young. Which age group do they belong in ? The elderly. Macs are mainly for people who dont know where the on/off button is. They are the type of people that read the entire manual for some software they bought before installing it. Making a game for a brand of computers that emphasize on videos and photos would be a waste of time becuase gamers buy PC's, which are highly customizable into work horses capable of running games well and artists with too much time on their hands and not enough money to pay rent buy Macs. For the couple of young fools out there that bought a mac and decided they want to play a recent game ---->:lmao: :rasp: :nut: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although mac is trying to get into the gaming bussiness people are reluctant to make games for them. ( I saw this when I walked into a Mac store, which was and probably will be the worst choice of my life and saw the 4 games on sale huddled in the corner designed for macs). If im wrong and macs are great gaming machines I invite you to prove me wrong.

I wouldn't even know where to start to comment on this. Some of the statements are either self defiant or absolutely ludicrous.

binlargin
21st Jan 2009, 03:23
If im wrong and macs are great gaming machines I invite you to prove me wrong.
You're wrong for reasons of monumental ignorance. The reason why software houses don't make games for Macs is because they represent less than 2% of the desktop market share.
To support any platform you need to invest in developers who can work with that platform, kit for your testers and so on. This is a good investment for the Xbox360 or PS3 but doesn't make commercial sense for a minority platform like OSX or Linux.

If development was based on your kind of fanboyism rather than economics then there would be a lot more games for Linux and OSX, but they still wouldn't sell.

foxberg
21st Jan 2009, 04:01
For all of you geniuses talking about market shares of Apple Computers vs. PCs (this isn't directed at binlargin) here's an article to read:
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/appleaday/blog/2008/05/soaring_mac_market_share_means.html

Mind you, they talk about COMPUTERS there, not $400.00 crap boxes made by Dell and likes.

Jerion
21st Jan 2009, 04:22
I'd do the whole contribute-to-the-conversation thing, but it seems you folks have that nicely handled.

But I'm going to do it anyway.

As I see it, Macs are fine gaming machines, provided you aren't too concerned with having the very latest and greatest graphics hardware. Are there as many games for OS X as for Windows XP/Vista? No. But the Mac segment is growing, so supporting it *will* inevitably lead to more sales, which leads to more people hearing about and experiencing the awesomeness of the DX franchise. It's a win-win any way you cut it.

binlargin
21st Jan 2009, 04:38
For all of you geniuses talking about market shares of Apple Computers vs. PCs (this isn't directed at binlargin) here's an article to read:
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/appleaday/blog/2008/05/soaring_mac_market_share_means.html

Mind you, they talk about COMPUTERS there, not $400.00 crap boxes made by Dell and likes.

That's marketing propaganda, the best option is to look at browser and OS stats, or go over to sourceforge and get an average of projects download stats for OSX versions versus Win32/64 releases. If you want to include Linux you have to exclude package manager releases, and OSX downloads will be skewed upwards because there isn't as much software for Macs.

For example FileZilla shows 95% Windows and 4% Mac, while browser stats pages report between 3 and 4 percent Safari.

Bangwhistle
21st Jan 2009, 07:52
I would very much like to see DX3 (and, in fact, the other two) available for OS X. While it's true that Intel-based Macs can now run Windows quite easily, I'd still rather have a Mac version.

And, incidentally, there's nothing inherently better about PCs for gaming, except that there are so many more games available for the Windows platform. It's not like it's more difficult to write programs for the Mac, or that the system runs more slowly, or anything like that; it's just that there are more PCs out there, so you can make more money if you write programs for PCs.

Amen.

Besides-- people here seem to be forgetting how popular the Mac version was when it came out originally. Or maybe you wouldn't know, because you're a PC user. It was hugely popular, and will very likely come out on mac eventually.

I don't know where so many get off with such cynicism: there's absolutely no way to know anything so definite, particularly for a game early in development, that you can't follow closely enough. Alas, nerds love to speculate.

Lastly, we're used to waiting. All things good come in time, I suppose. I'll remain optimistic for my favorite game.

badwolf
21st Jan 2009, 13:23
I run a mac and have always done so, while its not my number one choice to play games on ( I have a 360 for that) I did play the 1st Deus ex on mac then later on ps2, I was gutted that they only released the second one on xbox and pc. Im guessing, sorry hoping, deus ex 3 will be released on the 360.

But in short I would like to see deus ex 3 released on as many platforms as possible so that the series can reach as many people as possible and get the respect it deserves.

badwolf
21st Jan 2009, 13:31
oh and there's a patch for deus ex 1 with os x support. I had it running on my mac a while back

Really? where did you get it, I've been looking for one for ages.

gamer0004
21st Jan 2009, 15:58
The reason why software houses don't make games for Macs is because they represent less than 2% of the desktop market share.

That doesn't mean they aren't great gaming machines... Just that it's not really feasible for the publisher.

foxberg
21st Jan 2009, 16:10
That's marketing propaganda...

For example FileZilla shows 95% Windows and 4% Mac, while browser stats pages report between 3 and 4 percent Safari.

I never run Safari. It's always Firefox. And FileZilla? Do you think Mac community will go looking for files on predominantly Windows site? Do you really think we don't have our own places for that? To make such a comparison is like saying 95% of Apple.com visitors are Mac users. Or the same about microsoft.com for PC.

There is only one more thing to say: dig your head in the sand that's called Microsoft & Friends and pretend nothing around you is changing, Windows are taking over the world and Apple is slowly disappearing. Good luck with that!

As for the games, actually that was the topic, you can build a custom Mac that most of any platform users would envy. That, of course, if you have the money to do so. How about this for a configuration:

Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processors
32GB RAM
4 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS Hard Drives
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB

Plus, you could connect it to:

Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)

Now tell me, which game you would not be able to play at max on this machine?

Tstorm
22nd Jan 2009, 00:05
I wouldn't even know where to start to comment on this. Some of the statements are either self defiant or absolutely ludicrous.

Then I suggest you start to answer whichever one you want, idc, just give me an answer so I know you are serious. Otherwise dont say anything.

Malah
22nd Jan 2009, 02:06
As for the games, actually that was the topic, you can build a custom Mac that most of any platform users would envy. That, of course, if you have the money to do so. How about this for a configuration:

Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processors
32GB RAM
4 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS Hard Drives
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB

Plus, you could connect it to:

Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)

Now tell me, which game you would not be able to play at max on this machine?

I didn't know >30" flat panels were Apple exclusive. Neither did anyone inform me of the fact that high performance hardware is the sole property of the Jobs Mob. Plus, why would anyone buy a workstation GPU for gaming? :rolleyes:

Simply slapping together the most expensive hardware doesn't give you a godlike gaming machine... If you're saying that the only displays that work with OSX are Apple's, I would believe you. Steve has a habit of locking you into expensive replacements and gizmos.

Apple multiplies the price of run-of-the-mill hardware by the Jobs coefficient and adds a white plastic tax. If you want to have a Mac for gaming, you can have it. So -- if you can point out someone who bought a Mac capable of running modern games because of gaming (while not blogging about cats and the weather) please do so now.

As an answer to your question -- nothing new. Most engines for M$'s evil OS use Direct3D, while the card you picked is meant for workstations using OpenGL.

Again... If you meant to say "on a Mac" I would say maybe some. I only know workstation cards have more tweaks than different drivers, so I have no idea how they would run games. Even if the engine supports OpenGL.

binlargin
22nd Jan 2009, 02:33
That doesn't mean they aren't great gaming machines... Just that it's not really feasible for the publisher.

Of course. If you look at the most popular free graphics engines (OGRE, Irrlicht and Crystal Space), they all support OSX nowadays. I'd even go so far as to say that Macs technically make a better platform for games development because Apple have control over the minimum hardware specs. You don't get Macs that have barely enough power to run the operating system, unlike cheap Vista laptops with half a gig of RAM and a single core processor that can barely surf the web or manage emails.

I never run Safari. It's always Firefox. And FileZilla? Do you think Mac community will go looking for files on predominantly Windows site? Do you really think we don't have our own places for that? To make such a comparison is like saying 95% of Apple.com visitors are Mac users. Or the same about microsoft.com for PC.

Actually, SourceForge is predominantly a Linux site.

There is only one more thing to say: dig your head in the sand that's called Microsoft & Friends and pretend nothing around you is changing, Windows are taking over the world and Apple is slowly disappearing. Good luck with that!

Uh, I'm a games developer who bought a Mac and an iPhone because I have seen the turning tide. As an indie/hobbyist developer it makes sense for me to support the Mac, even if only for my own education. I'm a realist, not some blind fanboy who doesn't know my market. Macs are still a minority platform, only a fool would claim otherwise.

3nails4you
22nd Jan 2009, 02:56
Uh, I'm a games developer who bought a Mac and an iPhone because I have seen the turning tide. As an indie/hobbyist developer it makes sense for me to support the Mac, even if only for my own education. I'm a realist, not some blind fanboy who doesn't know my market. Macs are still a minority platform, only a fool would claim otherwise.

This statement seems to contradict itself a bit :\

So what game company do you work for/what games have you worked on?

MaxxQ1
22nd Jan 2009, 03:04

Apparently, you missed these words:

As an indie/hobbyist developer...

Which tells me he probably works by himself, for himself.

binlargin
22nd Jan 2009, 03:07

This binlargin persona is free to make controversial statements, get in flame wars, troll and post on the Internet when I should be working. I'm not someone important or anyone you've ever heard of, but a man has to have his privacy.

Apparently, you missed these words:

As an indie/hobbyist developer...

Which tells me he probably works by himself, for himself.

Yes, unfortunately the games industry doesn't pay good enough money. I do graphics and games programming for fun, not always by myself and not always on free projects, but mostly just for fun.

3nails4you
22nd Jan 2009, 07:00
Well when he said "my field" I assumed he actually worked in it professionally, lol. I have a feeling that most of us have piddled around in making games and doing graphic design/game projects. You can use your profession as a platform for making yourself credible when it isn't a profession. I think we all have our opinions and are fairly set in them.

Also, please, please, PLEASE never refer to yourself in the third person. It hurts his brain. SEE?! You made him do it! I mean me! ARGH!

Anyways, this is what confused me: Uh, I'm a games developer who bought a Mac and an iPhone because I have seen the turning tide. Macs are still a minority platform, only a fool would claim otherwise.

Confuzzled :scratch:

ilweran
22nd Jan 2009, 10:27
Does any of this matter? People who like Macs like Macs, that's fine and it would be great if DX3 was available for them to play but as they're in a small minority it's not that likely.

I don't see why people get so attached to one side or the other.

3nails4you
22nd Jan 2009, 16:24
I get attached because 1. I value my opinion of the supreme superiority of PC's (exaggerating a bit) and 2. I like discussions and seeing other people's opinions.

Jerion
22nd Jan 2009, 18:05
Does any of this matter? People who like Macs like Macs, that's fine and it would be great if DX3 was available for them to play but as they're in a small minority it's not that likely.

I don't see why people get so attached to one side or the other.

Does any of this matter? No.

What matters is whether or not people would like to see DX 3 on Mac OS X. The general consensus among the people who it will actually affect is, "Yes".

I think this topic can get closed, unless people feel a strong need to have a pointless and utterly wasteful debate over Mac vs. PC.

3nails4you
22nd Jan 2009, 18:11
It's not pointless, it's fun!

Jerion
22nd Jan 2009, 18:18
Maybe for you guys. :p The fun went out of it for me a while ago- I just got tired of it. :)

echt0711
22nd May 2009, 00:27
I give Britzel a 100% /sign to his "petition".

Please consider a native Mac OS X release.

Deus Ex is and was one of the most successful games on the macintosh platform ever and I cannot understand that part 2 of the series was never released on the mac.

I am not much of a very active poster in communities like this and I only set up my account here to post in this thread. Also, I don't own much games because I have a life besides my computer. I think that Deus Ex 3 could be an awesome success if released on "our" platform.

It was one of the rare games ever (!) released that I really like (I know about computer games for almost 15 years now). And I know I am not the only mac user out there who thinks this way.

Best regards,
Michael

EDIT: I just found a great article about the original Deus Ex that describes perfectly what I liked about it. Deus Ex started a whole new concept of computer games and I truely hope that DX3 will obey to this original idea: http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=16

Jerion
22nd May 2009, 01:45
I give Britzel a 100% /sign to his "petition".

Please consider a native Mac OS X release.

Deus Ex is and was one of the most successful games on the macintosh platform ever and I cannot understand that part 2 of the series was never released on the mac.

I am not much of a very active poster in communities like this and I only set up my account here to tion: close
X-Requested-Wio, I don't own much games because I have a life besides my computer. I think that Deus Ex 3 could be an awesome success if released on "our" platform.

It was one of the rare games ever (!) released that I really like (I know about computer games for almost 15 years now). And I know I am not the only mac user out there who thinks this way.

Best regards,
Michael

EDIT: I just found a great article about the original Deus Ex that describes perfectly what I liked about it. Deus Ex started a whole new concept of computer games and I truely hope that DX3 will obey to this original idea: http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=16

There isn't any word of a Mac version planned; there is currently no mac version of the CD engine (which would have to be entirely re-written, I think). However, Eidos should look at using Cider for a Mac port. It wouldn't require much additional development beyond what they're already doing. :)

I've played Deus Ex countless times on my brother's old PowerMac G3 tower. One of these days I may hook everything back up and play it again.

Ok, lemme put it this way: If Deus Ex 3 has a Mac release as well as a PC release, I will send EM a cake.

phlebas
22nd May 2009, 12:38
I use Macs at work and have a thinkpad for personal use. The unix based underpinnings really do make many of the things I do at work a lot easier, and my scientist-student friends who are too geeky to care about fashion really swear by them. My thinkpad's a solid machine, last for 6+ hrs on a single charge and I feel safe enough taking it everywhere. The thing's built like a tank. Thinkpad costs about the same as an equivalent macbook model, and performs about the same except for the relative sluggishness associated with vista (face it. It's the slowest of the major operating systems despite the advances). The 8-core mac pro is like a mini supercomputer and crunches through numbers like you won't believe, and the maintenance overhead is minimal. I can spend my time getting actual work done instead of tinkering with OS settings all the time (like it is usually the case with linux/vista).

In most cases people who spend their time flaming other operating systems usually don't know what they're talking about (with exception of linux/unix people :) ) Face it, most people flaming macs probably don't have one and vice versa :P

It doesn't really help that most American PC companies concentrated on undercutting costs at the price of quality for the past decade... 'Good' PC laptops cost about the same as a Macbook, maybe even more if you consider the added expenses. So I don't really understand the point of the three page discussion above...

Anyway, considering the growing userbase of OS X, I think it might be prudent for the DX3 development team to consider porting it. Macs definitely suffer from shortage of games, so high-profile game like DX3 will be able to gain a decent marketshare... There's practically no competition in terms of game settings/play style when you think about it. And using cider to port the game shouldn't cost too much. It would be weird for the developers to avoid releasing the game on Mac barring some significant technological barrier.

Now 'native' release on OS X is very unlikely to happen. From what I understand you'd need to work on the game engine itself to do that right? (this is why you should use opensource standards folks) That's just wasting resources that might have gone into making the game better. I'm just writing under assumption that the devs might play around with the idea of releasing a cider port.

J.CDenton
24th May 2009, 23:31
Althrough I don't use Macs anymore I love them. I've been doing my forst step in computer with an old Mac LC630 where I played my first games, wrote my first texts, explored my first OS. I keep my best souvenirs on a Mac I think even if I had great ones with PCs. So I support a DX3 port to Macs. I don't think that'll help much but still I'd be happy to see DX3 for Macintosh.

PlasmaSnake101
26th May 2009, 23:38
I think it is a piss poor idea. You, like the rest of the gaming community, should just use a PC. I honestly don't find PCs hard to use, and I've encountered no problems with Vista, save the initial deleting and restoring of my recycling bin and a few minor complications. The difference between myself and a mac user is I actually worked with Vista for a week or so, and now can work with it. I prefer xp, but thats just because I don't like the look of Vista and I've grown accustom to xp over the years.

With that said, I usually spot Macs around my college campus, being used by people who have no interest in computers or video games and just got it for taking notes. I usually see macs carried around by dumb blonds, jocks, and people who are too old to learn how to use this curious machine known as a PC.

On that note, why would you take the time and make the investment for a port. The "mac community" is much smaller than the number of PC users out there. Pile that on to the vast amount of people who have macs but don't play video games. I wouldn't bother with it. Just get a PC, they're not hard to use. Take price into the picture, I've a gaming laptop that I purchased for less then a macbook air. (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air?mco=MTE2OTU)From what I've heard, I possess more gaming capabilities. I've not used a mac, I just don't think their claims of superiority are warranted, and I think it would be an overall loss as far as sales go. The work for a mac would be a waste considering the consumer pool would not be increased that largely.

GmanPro
26th May 2009, 23:50
Indeed. Usually, the people who buy macs aren't interested in gaming to begin with. It baffles me why anyone would pay more ... for less. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, people do it all the time after all.

Holodoctor
1st Jun 2009, 01:47
Sure, give them their Mac version, I don't mind that at all, but if you give them a Mac version, then make sure to give me a Linux version.

Jerion
1st Jun 2009, 01:54
Sure, give them their Mac version, I don't mind that at all, but if you give them a Mac version, then make sure to give me a Linux version.

To the best of my knowledge there is neither a Mac nor a Linux port of the CD engine. However, that doesn't pose a big problem; for a Mac release there is Cider and for a Linux release there is Cedega. In both cases there will be some expected performance drops (due to Cider/Cedega).

foxberg
1st Jun 2009, 17:05
To the best of my knowledge there is neither a Mac nor a Linux port of the CD engine. However, that doesn't pose a big problem; for a Mac release there is Cider and for a Linux release there is Cedega. In both cases there will be some expected performance drops (due to Cider/Cedega).

Performance drops in Cider are minor nowadays. It really depends on who ports the game. I have played games ported to Mac by a certain individual that are much better then, say, Battlefield 2142 port by EA.

Jerion
1st Jun 2009, 20:22
Performance drops in Cider are minor nowadays. It really depends on who ports the game. I have played games ported to Mac by a certain individual that are much better then, say, Battlefield 2142 port by EA.

This is true.

morphoid
2nd Jun 2009, 23:31
hello, just joined the forum specifically to show support for this thread's purpose.

Many computers have gone through my household, a iMac (one of the round big ones) being one of them.
For which I bought DX1. And had a blast with it.

I was able to play DX2 on my sibling's PC.

Now that I finally own a computer - a Mac - I'm pretty annoyed DX1 isn't working on it due to the Classic thing. I've been going through a lot of DX nostalgia, and wanted to try it on a good computer for a change.

I fully support the creation of DX3 for Mac.
I think that the game could be a breakthrough for Mac gaming.
With some support of Apple, it could be huge even.

I definitely won't buy a PC version. A Mac version, I will hit it like lightning.

foxberg
5th Jun 2009, 15:07
Now that I finally own a computer - a Mac - I'm pretty annoyed DX1 isn't working on it due to the Classic thing. I've been going through a lot of DX nostalgia, and wanted to try it on a good computer for a change.

There is a stable Cider port of DX1 available for Intel Macs (but I don't think GMA graphic cards are supported). I've finished the first Cider release on my MBP that was crashing quite often, and now there is a fixed one. I might play it again soon :D , as soon as I finish a Cider of Rid**** EFBB.

simonm
6th Jun 2009, 05:40
Thanks for opening the thread Britzel!

Yes I'm a huge Deus Ex and Mac fan. I played DX1 on my Mac when it first came out and it remains my favourite game ever. I couldn't play it for many years under OS X until I discovered the Cider port, so at least DX1 will live on forever on my Mac! :D Of course I would buy DX3 unquestioningly if it came out for the Mac!!

I actually think making a Mac port could be profitable for Eidos. Although the Mac community is much smaller than PC, the games market is also MUCH less competitive. We are really crying out for decent games on our Macs after so many developers like Eidos abandoned the Mac platform (try as I might I just can't bring myself to buy Sims3!). :lol: This means that big titles do tend to do well on the Mac, not just for a few months as is usual with the PC, but for years after release, and Deus Ex would certainly be a big title. Hell, even Microsoft Studios can release games for the Mac (Age of Empires series)!!

Unfortunately, I'm feeling quite pessimistic that Eidos will support the Mac, since they abandoned support for us after DX1. Their decision on which platforms to support would have been made very early and the Mac probably didn't get a moment's thought. Often I feel this is because of an entrenched anti-Mac attitude that you see from so many people. You need only read over the comments from the Mac bashers in this thread as evidence of this. To them I would say, if you're not threatened by Macs, why do you feel the need to bash them so vehemently? If you prefer PCs, fine, does it really bother you whether a Mac version is made as well? It certainly doesn't bother me that you choose to play games on your PC! This thread was made by someone looking for fellow Mac fans to send a message to Eidos and he clearly asked people not to engage in a petty flame war.

I'd love to ask M. D'Astous whether he's even considered hiring a couple of expert Apple programmers to work on the development team. Maybe there's still time. I do notice that EM is still advertising for games programmers on their website. I'm no programmer but I would have thought since Apple made the switch to Intel hardware the possibilities for porting a game to the Mac became wider and easier. If amateurs can do it with Cider and Wine/Crossover then I don't think Eidos have any excuses!

I can say that I'd be unlikely to buy DX3 for PC to play through Bootcamp. By the time DX3 comes out we'll probably have Diablo 3 so I'd rather support a games house that does still support the Mac.

Peace out

PlasmaSnake101
6th Jun 2009, 21:24
Thanks for opening the thread Britzel!

Yes I'm a huge Deus Ex and Mac fan. I played DX1 on my Mac when it first came out and it remains my favourite game ever. I couldn't play it for many years under OS X until I discovered the Cider port, so at least DX1 will live on forever on my Mac! :D Of course I would buy DX3 unquestioningly if it came out for the Mac!!

I actually think making a Mac port could be profitable for Eidos. Although the Mac community is much smaller than PC, the games market is also MUCH less competitive. We are really crying out for decent games on our Macs after so many developers like Eidos abandoned the Mac platform (try as I might I just can't bring myself to buy Sims3!). :lol: This means that big titles do tend to do well on the Mac, not just for a few months as is usual with the PC, but for years after release, and Deus Ex would certainly be a big title. Hell, even Microsoft Studios can release games for the Mac (Age of Empires series)!!

Unfortunately, I'm feeling quite pessimistic that Eidos will support the Mac, since they abandoned support for us after DX1. Their decision on which platforms to support would have been made very early and the Mac probably didn't get a moment's thought. Often I feel this is because of an entrenched anti-Mac attitude that you see from so many people. You need only read over the comments from the Mac bashers in this thread as evidence of this. To them I would say, if you're not threatened by Macs, why do you feel the need to bash them so vehemently? If you prefer PCs, fine, does it really bother you whether a Mac version is made as well? It certainly doesn't bother me that you choose to play games on your PC! This thread was made by someone looking for fellow Mac fans to send a message to Eidos and he clearly asked people not to engage in a petty flame war.

I'd love to ask M. D'Astous whether he's even considered hiring a couple of expert Apple programmers to work on the development team. Maybe there's still time. I do notice that EM is still advertising for games programmers on their website. I'm no programmer but I would have thought since Apple made the switch to Intel hardware the possibilities for porting a game to the Mac became wider and easier. If amateurs can do it with Cider and Wine/Crossover then I don't think Eidos have any excuses!

I can say that I'd be unlikely to buy DX3 for PC to play through Bootcamp. By the time DX3 comes out we'll probably have Diablo 3 so I'd rather support a games house that does still support the Mac.

Peace out

See

I think it is a piss poor idea. You, like the rest of the gaming community, should just use a PC. I honestly don't find PCs hard to use, and I've encountered no problems with Vista, save the initial deleting and restoring of my recycling bin and a few minor complications. The difference between myself and a mac user is I actually worked with Vista for a week or so, and now can work with it. I prefer xp, but thats just because I don't like the look of Vista and I've grown accustom to xp over the years.

With that said, I usually spot Macs around my college campus, being used by people who have no interest in computers or video games and just got it for taking notes. I usually see macs carried around by dumb blonds, jocks, and people who are too old to learn how to use this curious machine known as a PC.

On that note, why would you take the time and make the investment for a port. The "mac community" is much smaller than the number of PC users out there. Pile that on to the vast amount of people who have macs but don't play video games. I wouldn't bother with it. The work for a mac would be a waste considering the consumer pool would not be increased that largely.

Please don't make me repeat myself in the future. And I don't bash things because I'm threatened by them, I bash them so fools who buy macs don't threaten their wallets in the future. I've no claim to superiority, it's just bad for business to invest in a tiny pool of consumers. Also, like Gmanpro said, you are paying more for less, and Edios can not support such foolish activity.

Just kidding with the cruelty of my post, but I still stand by the general message behind it.

simonm
7th Jun 2009, 07:19
So you think repeating yourself makes your posts more valid? =:thumb: for trying.

sgtbilko28
9th Jun 2009, 14:22
Heres a reason to make it for mac.

I would actually pay money:eek: for a copy and not erm.... get it elsewhere.

foxberg
9th Jun 2009, 15:58
Yeah they'll start making it for Mac ASAP now that you've threatened them with piracy. :rolleyes:

Here's a question, would that be a piracy if Mac community download a third party Cider port of DX3 otherwise not available for their platform to play on their computers rather then invest in a PC just so they can buy an official release of the game?

SemiAnonymous
9th Jun 2009, 16:47
Here's a question, would that be a piracy if Mac community download a third party Cider port of DX3 otherwise not available for their platform to play on their computers rather then invest in a PC just so they can buy an official release of the game?

Legally, I believe it would still be piracy. Morally, this is a form of piracy that I don't have an issue with. Its probably about as bad as it would be to emulate a rare N64 game that you wouldn't be able to play otherwise

PlasmaSnake101
9th Jun 2009, 19:51
I wonder... will the purchases made by mac users out weight the amount invested into making a port. It's stupid to invest in dry wells. And the only reason I mentioned my previous post is because you posted and did not reply to what I had said, as if you had missed it.

Your expert team of Apple programmers would cost money, and for a consumer pool that the average user has no interests in gaming I don't think it is worth the investment. It is really nothing personal, just bad business. As I said in my original post, most mac users are using them because "PC's are annoying, Macs just work." They use them because they are simple, as opposed to a PC that frightens and confuses them.

With that said, the people who do game and like macs tend have a PC on the side, Macs for notes and work, PC for games. If gaming was one of your primary concerns you would have never switched to mac in the first place.

And a final question, why do you like Macs. Why do you feel they are superior to a PC, apart from trendiness and an ad campaign that targets the youth and those who are incompetent with computers in general.

Jerion
9th Jun 2009, 23:05
Why do I like Macs? I grew up around them, for starters. I'm very competent in both the Apple and Microsoft realms. I prefer Apple's OS X, its stable, fast, and frankly the overall computing experience isn't matched by Windows. The only drawback is the lack of availability of games for OS X, which is where Windows comes in. Sure, Apple charges a helluva premium for hardware, so upgrading your machine every year or two is out of the question, but the OS and the "Just Works" factor more or less make up for it, IMO. What makes Macs superior to your average PC? It's the operating system. Either you love it, like it well enough, or haven't really used it.

Now, I really do like Macs, and I like games. So I installed Windows XP Pro SP2 on my MacBook Pro as a dual-boot solution. This way I can open myself up to more games on solid hardware, while still having the Mac experience day in and day out. And I can take it all with me. Win-Win, no? :)

_______

The Mac Gamer segment is largely unheardof, not because it doesn't exist (it sure does!), but because many VG corporations overlook it. Until a couple years ago this was understandable, because porting your games to OS X would mean re-writing your engine and game to use OpenGL if it didn't already, along with running on the PowerPC architecture. With the advent of Cider and the switch to Intel, however, this is no longer an issue and development costs and time for porting to the Mac platform are minimal. There is really no excuse for not supporting it these days.

Although, considering that Aspyr released the Mac version for DX, perhaps they will do the same for 3...

morphoid
10th Jun 2009, 04:18
There is a stable Cider port of DX1 available for Intel Macs (but I don't think GMA graphic cards are supported). I've finished the first Cider release on my MBP that was crashing quite often, and now there is a fixed one. I might play it again soon :D , as soon as I finish a Cider of Rid**** EFBB.
My card is a GMA X3100.

Could you direct me to instructions on how to obtain and use the Cider?

I have honestly no idea how that works.
And I own DX1 for Mac, so I'm pretty OK with using it.
Thanks in advance.

And I selfishly continue to hope for DX3 on Mac.

foxberg
12th Jun 2009, 15:08
Could you direct me to instructions on how to obtain and use the Cider?

Check your PM.