PDA

View Full Version : Running in slow motion

Voltaire
16th Jan 2009, 00:06
It sounds to me like this is what the opener might be:

"Adam Jensen is caught up in a gunfight during a break-in at biomods-r-us and is critically wounded. The scientists decide they can make him live, and make him better than before. Harder better faster... and then he's suddenly this governmental hero type who chases baddies"

Does this, or does this not, sound vaguely too much like the $6million man?

qJohnnyp
16th Jan 2009, 00:48
It sounds to me like this is what the opener might be:

"Adam Jensen is caught up in a gunfight during a break-in at biomods-r-us and is critically wounded. The scientists decide they can make him live, and make him better than before. Harder better faster... and then he's suddenly this governmental hero type who chases baddies"

Does this, or does this not, sound vaguely too much like the $6million man?

Sounds like a well known theme, actually. Snowblind is the closest game with that theme, for example.
And if running in slo-mo is an aug suggestion, well- it's a popular mechanic in today's FPS (some think of it as overused), very fun if implemented properly. I wouldn't mind a bullettime aug, some type of afterburner enchancing senses. Like in the ending chapters of Gunnm (but less advanced)

Radius86
16th Jan 2009, 09:30
Sounds like a well known theme, actually. Snowblind is the closest game with that theme, for example.
And if running in slo-mo is an aug suggestion, well- it's a popular mechanic in today's FPS (some think of it as overused), very fun if implemented properly. I wouldn't mind a bullettime aug, some type of afterburner enchancing senses. Like in the ending chapters of Gunnm (but less advanced)

I actually would mind a bullet time aug. We've already had a Run Fast/ Run Silent from the original game. This would just work in an opposite effect. No matter how modern and 'cool' it might look, it doesnt seem to fit somehow for this game.

qJohnnyp
16th Jan 2009, 14:18
I actually would mind a bullet time aug. We've already had a Run Fast/ Run Silent from the original game. This would just work in an opposite effect. No matter how modern and 'cool' it might look, it doesnt seem to fit somehow for this game.

It's not the 'cool factor' or the looks. I'm thinking game mechanics here.
One won't want to play that stealth assasin ninja sneaker character all the time. Sometimes one would want to play as a killing machine... But hell, I lost that twich reflex... Bullettime would be helpful.
In Deus Ex the AI was as smart as a brick, if in this iteration of the series your opponents will become smarter, a run-and-gun character would have a hard time fighting enemies hiding behind cover, flanking and using teamwork. A fraction of a second could mean life or quickload. A bullettime aug could help in tough situations.
And run fast would be easier to use (as in navigate) with this aug.
It did feel right in Snowblind and it was a fun Deus Ex like game.

And 'realism' shouldn't be an issue- we've got doc oc tentacles after all ;) Anything could be explained by a good writer.
I know I use strange structures, yet I hope you did get the point?

Radius86
16th Jan 2009, 14:43
And 'realism' shouldn't be an issue- we've got doc oc tentacles after all ;) Anything could be explained by a good writer.

:lol:
There's more truth in that statement than meets the eye.