PDA

View Full Version : A Fashionable Future?

teknikal-vision
14th Jan 2009, 16:00
I'm pretty sure the issues of fashion and the standard of dress have only turned up briefly in other more generalised posts, so how about we devote some time to this topic?

*cue the theme song from Sex and the City*

lol, sorry couldn't help myself :P

Seriously though...

I really believe convincing players that the universe of DX3 is a plausible and believable world is dependant on more than just the appearance of the environments around you, but also on the appearance of the people who inhabit it.

In my opinion, DX1 was great in this respect because the clothes that many of the NPCs wore (be they scientists, businessmen, soldiers or civilians) didn't stray too far from present reality. It wasn't too "out there" in general, and there was a very good balance between the abundance of the more mundanely dressed with those who were evidently "cyberpunked". And those more crazier dressed looked cooler by comparison too!

I mean, for example...at the end of the day how better to represent a powerful figure within the realms of business or government than with the base design of the standard suit and tie combo? And scientists... they wear lab coats right? Bums and hobos? Clothes from the bins of "St. Vinnies", the Salvation Army or Op Shops I think. Yeah that sounds about right.

Basically, my point is there are long-established visual cues that we are all familiar with and help us easily identify any individuals potential job or lifestyle. A level of groundedness -even within the fashion- will definitely help sell the reality of DX3.

As for DX3...

The renaissance-inspired fashion is very cool mind you (as long as it's used in moderation). It reminds me of Rachel’s rich and lush costumes in Blade Runner. Such designs have already found their way onto present day catwalks, I am sure of, and the majority of society in the future may be much more confident and adventurous when it comes to wearing over-the-top designs, who knows?

The Detroit cop looks awesome, and what we’ve seen of Barret and AJ has made me extremely happy too!

BUT, there has been a specific tiny thing worrying me from what I've seen from DX3 so far.

THIS scientist… http://www.planetdeusex.ru/dx3/scr/scientists.jpg
the design parallels Invisible War to a level that makes my stomach turn. Invisible War had terrible fashion and character designs. No-one felt real to me. It reminded me of the icky styles of the characters in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. *shudders* (seriously I hate this scientist dude… I think I’ll do worse than stun prod him as soon as I get the chance to when DX3 comes out! tweeee! the joy!!! LOL)

Now look at Jaime Reyes in DX1; now THAT’S a scientist. No weird rubbery-baldness from head to toe please!!!

To sum my rant up… I basically want to see some evident “normalness” to some of the fashion in DX3. It’s a prequel, so fashion that reflects our current reality should be at least of the same –if not more- prominence as it was with DX1. That’s logical, right? Right? *sweats nervously*

What do you all think?

Basically… As long as it doesn’t go THIS far: http://teknikal-vision.deviantart.com/art/2008-WTF-DeusEx3Renaissance-100031332
I’ll sit happy with whatever Eidos Montreal throws on the catwalk
(I was just having a little fun I had reflecting on the Renaissance theme of DX3 when it was revealed in PC Zone; I just HAD to draw this! :D)

GmanPro
14th Jan 2009, 17:29
Now that you mention it, I do see the resemblance with that scientist pic and some of the models from IW and I totally agree with your post. I understand that the artists want to show off their pretty textures and models with as much detail as possible, but a simple white lab coat doesnt need to be fancy. If the fashion in DX3 resembles today's styles with maybe a few slight variations here and there, then I think that would greatly add to immersion. Don't try to get 'too' creative with the clothes EM.

teknikal-vision
14th Jan 2009, 17:31
Oh and sorry for the hideously long opening post... brain running away with me yet again... -_-'

Radius86
14th Jan 2009, 18:03
Now that you mention it, I do see the resemblance with that scientist pic and some of the models from IW and I totally agree with your post. I understand that the artists want to show off their pretty textures and models with as much detail as possible, but a simple white lab coat doesnt need to be fancy. If the fashion in DX3 resembles today's styles with maybe a few slight variations here and there, then I think that would greatly add to immersion. Don't try to get 'too' creative with the clothes EM.

There's a certain degree of truth in what both you and the OP has to say. But I will confess that I'd be disappointed if just the original game's clothing design were taken into serious consideration. The white lab coats worked because there were more than just scientist type dudes in the original game. You had regular doctors from free clinics as well. And there was a note of uniformity in the kind of NPCs from the first game as well. For example almost ALL bums from the streets either had a bushy white beard and were above 60 years, or around 30 and black haired. You mostly ran into just these two designs. Similarly every hooker on the street had virtually the same hair style as Sandra Renton!

The game was far from perfect in this respect but we gave these details the benifit of the doubt because of the immense amount of gameplay and story that hooked us. And what the characters were saying to us, regardless of attire. :)

Its an important element, clothing. But I think EM are doing the right thing in taking a look at both games for design. It's vital to project an accurate enough looking timeline before the dystopic events of DX1 have come about. I've loved what I've seen so far. And the cop looks badass!

teknikal-vision
14th Jan 2009, 18:11
The game was far from perfect in this respect but we gave these details the benifit of the doubt because of the immense amount of gameplay and story that hooked us. And what the characters were saying to us, regardless of attire. :)

Awwwww....So was I the only one hoping I could steal Walton Simons seriously awesome trenchcoat everytime I encountered him? ^^ :P

Radius86
14th Jan 2009, 18:14
Awwwww....So was I the only one hoping I could steal Walton Simons seriously awesome trenchcoat everytime I encountered him? ^^ :P

You can keep his coat. I wanted his augs!

Big Orange
14th Jan 2009, 18:16
I can understand the pretentious hipsters wearing bizarre and loud clothing, since they've been doing it in the last forty years, but professionals working at industrial companies or government agencies should just wear shirts, shoes, trousers, and ties. But you could add a surreal but subtle cyberpunk edge to business suits if they've got a 1930s or 1980s look to them (think the clothing from Terry Gilliam's Brazil).

teknikal-vision
14th Jan 2009, 18:20
You can keep his coat. I wanted his augs!

LOL sounds fair!

*points* ooo there he is! let's jump him together and go halves on the rewards :D hehehe

René
14th Jan 2009, 18:28
Doctors and scientists generally have white lab coats so even if that particular pic reminds you of IW I still don't think it's a bad thing. You mentioned a handful of things you did like and this kind of thing can largely be in the eye of the beholder. (Mentioning Rachael from Blade Runner was an astute observation.) Designs evolve over the course of development so things are bound to be modified in bits and pieces so you may end up loving (or still hating) the end result. At the same time, many of the assets given to the magazines that we've seen online so far are early concepts and things have definitely been evolving...we'll have to wait and see the final product! You touched upon things being used in moderation and that's how the Renaissance feel in the game is being implemented - it's still a near future Cyberpunk world but with a slight twist!

teknikal-vision
14th Jan 2009, 18:30
the Matrix agents and the DX MiB evoked the right amount of fear in me based on their common visual language; suits and tie and sinister sunglasses
i guess it is the the whole legitimate power thing associated with the FBI and all that.

Walton's design was supurb cause it combined the typical government goon gear of suit and tie with that very memorable black and white trenchcoat which had cyberpunk literally written all over it... oh and god the hair cut! im afraid of anyone in a self-respecting job who would have hair so freaky! LOL

oh and in the case of the MiB, it was the purply skin, red eyes and creepy mechanised voices that perfected the design

I hope there are MiB in Deus Ex 3!!!
They were dearly missed in Invisible War :(

The FEMA logo on the floor of the Detention Cells concept art makes me giddy at the prospect!

teknikal-vision
14th Jan 2009, 18:34
Doctors and scientists generally have white lab coats so even if that particular pic reminds you of IW I still don't think it's a bad thing.

I was about to protest that "labcoats are so practical", when I had a horrible memory from my highschool years...

The class before my science class were dissecting cow hearts... Why oh why didn't we all think twice before putting our hands in our labcoats' pockets?!?!?! :eek: :mad2:

FrankCSIS
14th Jan 2009, 23:55
In that regard, it might be beneficial to learn from the auto industry. While I heavily encourage originality and boldness, there is always a line to trace between so-called futuristic prototypes and the actual production vehicle. In the end, practicality tends to trump over style, a rather normal thing for objects, all things considered.

Of course this might be different if the world was designed by Apple. It would also be hegemonic, sterile, all-white, shinny, and very expensive :D

iWait
15th Jan 2009, 01:51
No weird rubbery-baldness from head to toe please!!!

Are you denying the sheer awesomeness of Dr. Steel? :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AetbuJAm_XM&feature=related

GmanPro
15th Jan 2009, 03:21
^^ I feel like I just lost over 9000 brain cells from watching that... :hmm:

iWait
15th Jan 2009, 03:41
^^ I feel like I just lost over 9000 brain cells from watching that... :hmm:

Such are his mystical ways....

teknikal-vision
15th Jan 2009, 08:13
that lab dude also reminds me vaguely of Dr Colossus from old episodes of the simpsons ^^

rokstrombo
15th Jan 2009, 10:39
I think the scientist's clothing in the concept art posted above seems quite practical for someone working around hazardous materials... tight fitting, long rubber gloves, high neck, apron over the top, etc. It would be cool if there were different models for the office workers, security guards, surgeons, etc. A white lab coat can be more symbolic than practical. I would imagine workers would need more than generic work wear to identify themselves.

Basically… As long as it doesn’t go THIS far: http://teknikal-vision.deviantart.com/art/2008-WTF-DeusEx3Renaissance-100031332
I’ll sit happy with whatever Eidos Montreal throws on the catwalk
(I was just having a little fun I had reflecting on the Renaissance theme of DX3 when it was revealed in PC Zone; I just HAD to draw this! :D)

Wow that's good! It reminds me a bit of the Puffy Shirt from Seinfeld, only less swashbuckling :)

gamer0004
15th Jan 2009, 16:20
In my opinion, DX1 was great in this respect because the clothes that many of the NPCs wore (be they scientists, businessmen, soldiers or civilians) didn't stray too far from present reality.

And then:

The Detroit cop looks awesome, and what we’ve seen of Barret and AJ has made me extremely happy too!

Which is then followed by:

To sum my rant up… I basically want to see some evident “normalness” to some of the fashion in DX3. It’s a prequel, so fashion that reflects our current reality should be at least of the same –if not more- prominence as it was with DX1.

I don't get it. You say you want "normalness" in DX3, you want NPC clothes that don't stray too far from present reality, but you like Barret and that riot cop? What the ***? Even if you don't think they're absurd and unrealistic, you'll at least have to agree that they aren'[t exactly normal... Have you ever seen someone who looked just a little bit like them?

El_Bel
15th Jan 2009, 21:21
Take a look at Greek Riot Police, they "augment" themselves with anything they can buy!! Now it is just, fire resistant suits(To protect themselves against Molotov cocktails, even the augmented ones we produce in Greece), thick Kevlar clothing inside(So even if you hold them down and kick the **** out of them, they wont feel a god damn thing), heavy anti-ballistic shields...

When real augs come out, they will surely cut their legs to install augs..

Forgot to mention, they use carcinogen gas grenades that are 3-4 years post expiration date... And they hit us with the Iron side of the Baton.. Oh and they kick a lot. So ltes see, they will put augmented lungs, hands and legs!!

qJohnnyp
16th Jan 2009, 01:10
Baldness from head to toe= hygene. It's hard to prevent infections and this should help lowering the risk of a small piece of hair infecting that strain of cells or a microprocessor you've been working on. I guess one would find it more convenient than wearing more advanced protective suits. Would be a pain to wear one of those whole day.

And it doesn't go far from the fancier lab coats I've seen in my time:
http://www.labwear.com/products.asp?CategoryID=PROTECTIVE_LAB_COATS

MattColes
16th Jan 2009, 13:46
I can see how they referenced Barret and the detriot cop from real life. the detroit cop is based off of already existing riot gear, just google search it.
What I'm hoping to see, on top of the grounded renassiance looking characters, hopefully a few chars in trenchcoats for the game.
Trenchcoats are still in, just look at wesker from resident evil 5, how awesome does he look, and deus ex 3 needs a small ode to JC's outfit somewhere in it too right?

Havenkel
1st Feb 2009, 01:14
In the shots of the PC Gamer article, or whatever that happened to be, we saw women dressed in various midevil (I'm not a historian) dresses. (Or maybe "perchance" they are the "fanciful garb" of these "futuristic" times).

I've heard countless times about Rene saying this and Rene saying that about the media's storys being somewhat incorrect, but I doubt they made their own concept art. Is this still a speculated part of the game?

P.S. I didn't search for one of these topics because I couldn't find the fabled search bar. I didn't look too hard, but I still didn't find it.

Havenkel
1st Feb 2009, 01:15
Sure enough, I just found it.

K^2
1st Feb 2009, 01:56
In attempt to expand the target demographic, fashion is now part of the gameplay. You will find and customize various outfits for the main character, and unfashionable ones will incur penalties on various augs. The women's dresses are for when you select female protagonist.

Actually, I don't think they have anything to do with the game beyond the atmosphere. These are supposed to be dress styles corresponding to time periods collectively known as Renaissance, which styles of architecture, clothing, and art of the game are supposed to mimic. Basically, expect high and upper-middle class characters from the game to be dressed like that.

Havenkel
1st Feb 2009, 02:08
Yeah, but why is DX1 so much like our time. Too much like our fashion I thought.

To quote someone on this forum very loosely and probably incorrectly:

"lol So what, did they just realize their horrible fashion and revert in a few years?"

WhatsHisFace
1st Feb 2009, 02:13
Yeah, but why is DX1 so much like our time. Too much like our fashion I thought.

To quote someone on this forum very loosely and probably incorrectly:

"lol So what, did they just realize their horrible fashion and revert in a few years?"

You make an interesting point. But with Deus Ex 3, Eidos Montreal isn't really trying to make a prequel to Deus Ex. They're just trying to make their own Bioshock. So they're watering down the RPG elements and making the game more about art style than emergent gameplay.

K^2
1st Feb 2009, 02:50
Some things are very briefly lived. If it ever becomes fashionable to wear Renaissance dresses again, I expect it to fall out of fashion very fast. Perhaps, we are expected to accept that this is exactly what happened. Perhaps, devs just figure that it is only a game after all, and they are free to make such things up.

Havenkel
1st Feb 2009, 03:10
Anyone whos played Bioshock knows that it's clothing style is not baroque. It's no where near it, it's just retro. So I don't think that part of your post is right (?). I am actually anticipating this game with rather high expectations. I used to hate on it for stuff, as shown in my shortlived DX rant that was locked, but I looked up more about it and I think it's going to be ok.

Still doesn't explain the **** fashion though.:mad2:

K^2
1st Feb 2009, 03:20
Baroque is only one of many styles that all fit under a blanket term Renaissance. So while you may be right that it is not Baroque, that really says nothing in contradiction anyone has said so far, seeing how you are the first person to mention that particular style.

FrankCSIS
1st Feb 2009, 07:59

This summarizes 80's fashion fairly well.

Behindyounow
1st Feb 2009, 08:09
Maybe they still dressed like that in Deus ex 1?

In deus ex 1 we only saw poor/military areas. Not upper class.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Feb 2009, 10:34
In the shots of the PC Gamer article, or whatever that happened to be, we saw women dressed in various midevil (I'm not a historian) dresses. (Or maybe "perchance" they are the "fanciful garb" of these "futuristic" times).

I've heard countless times about Rene saying this and Rene saying that about the media's storys being somewhat incorrect, but I doubt they made their own concept art. Is this still a speculated part of the game?

P.S. I didn't search for one of these topics because I couldn't find the fabled search bar. I didn't look too hard, but I still didn't find it.

Merged your new thread into existing one. :)

WhatsHisFace
1st Feb 2009, 14:40
Anyone whos played Bioshock knows that it's clothing style is not baroque. It's no where near it, it's just retro. So I don't think that part of your post is right (?). I am actually anticipating this game with rather high expectations. I used to hate on it for stuff, as shown in my shortlived DX rant that was locked, but I looked up more about it and I think it's going to be ok.

Still doesn't explain the **** fashion though.:mad2:
You're missing the big picture.

jamhaw
1st Feb 2009, 17:04
Maybe they still dressed like that in Deus ex 1?

In deus ex 1 we only saw poor/military areas. Not upper class.

That is probably the answer.

Digitaldruid
1st Feb 2009, 17:52
That is probably the answer.

the HongKong(Wanchai district) portrayed in Dx1 bears minimal resemblance to the actual city. Wanchai being the heart/commercial hub of HK island there are very few bums/beggars on the streets. I have witnessed them being forcefully moved/relocated to distant suburbs by city police. I have a few pics of Wanchai I took during my recent trip and I don't mind sharing them on the forums. I would expect that fashion somewhere in the 2020's would be very similar to present day trends and not something too different.

WhatsHisFace
1st Feb 2009, 19:19
the HongKong(Wanchai district) portrayed in Dx1 bears minimal resemblance to the actual city. Wanchai being the heart/commercial hub of HK island there are very few bums/beggars on the streets. I have witnessed them being forcefully moved/relocated to distant suburbs by city police. I have a few pics of Wanchai I took during my recent trip and I don't mind sharing them on the forums. I would expect that fashion somewhere in the 2020's would be very similar to present day trends and not something too different.

All it takes is for some moron pop-star to put a twist on what's already popular, infuse it with a renaissance fashion-style, and POW! You have the next fashion movement, a'la those little emo toolbags.

payne
11th Feb 2009, 22:26
get it, you people!

the early futur fashion will be some textile built in order to be "close to skin" to make a nude looking style (watch the fifht element movie) and with some nano properties making the dress more comfortableand "draw" a perfect body (the look will still be a big preoccupation):rolleyes:

thomasaquinas
24th Feb 2009, 06:29
So was there ever any sort of explanation, coherent with the overall vision for the game, for a Renaissance stylization? Unless I've missed something, it just looks like someone used BioShock like a market reasarch tool to indicate that "people like classical stylization" or that "classical stylization sells". Either that or some designer at EM just thought it looked "cool" and tried to ham-fistedly shoe-horn it into the game.

I mean, I'd really like to think that it was an intelligent and well-thought out design decision that resonated with a cohesive over-arching design philosophy for the game that was established at the beginning of the project and based on the values inherent in the original game. You know - that a group of people sat down around a table and decided that, considering the themes, ideas, ideology and overall point they were trying to express in the game, it made sense to have a Renaissance flavor. At this point, though, it seems as if the decision making process has essentially amounted to one person walking into a room and saying "Wouldn't X feature be totally awesome?!", and ten people going "Yeah!", and that being the extent of it. And you've got to admit that Rene has pretty much failed to justify any of the controversial design moves so far, other than to say "I'm sorry we can't please everyone" and "you'll just have to see how it effects the final overall game". Kind of gives the impression that there doesn't really exist a well-thought out justification.

Admittedly, I've been absent from Deus Ex 3 news for a time - did I miss something, was this ever explained? I mean, I get that the Renaissance in some senses ushered in intellectual enlightenment and Deus Ex 3 is supposed to be set during the epitome of technological advancement... Is that it, though?

gamer0004
24th Feb 2009, 10:58
So was there ever any sort of explanation, coherent with the overall vision for the game, for a Renaissance stylization? Unless I've missed something, it just looks like someone used BioShock like a market reasarch tool to indicate that "people like classical stylization" or that "classical stylization sells". Either that or some designer at EM just thought it looked "cool" and tried to ham-fistedly shoe-horn it into the game.

"Developers at Eidos Montreal are apparently trying very hard to cultivate a strong sense of atmosphere and ambience in the upcoming Deus Ex 3, citing System Shock as a major influence and attempting to draw on the success of BioShock."

What I find rather funny is that, while atmosphere is really important in a DX game, Bioshocks atmosphere has NOTHING to do with DX. And neither does renaissance style.
The DX atmosphere was realistic and a bit "depressing".

thomasaquinas
24th Feb 2009, 11:42
someone used BioShock like a market reasarch tool to indicate[...]that "classical stylization sells"

attempting to draw on the success of BioShock.
Wow, I thought I was being unrealistically cynical. Apparently, I was actually right. Even my cynicism was too positive for reality.

Mindmute
24th Feb 2009, 12:53
What I find rather funny is that, while atmosphere is really important in a DX game, Bioshocks atmosphere has NOTHING to do with DX. And neither does renaissance style.
The DX atmosphere was realistic and a bit "depressing".

That's just the thing, in DX world had gone to all hell, there were riots, a plague, governments were collapsing. A dark and somber style was a good way to help illustrate this.

In DX3 the world and society are at their apex, everything is apparently well, I guess that they thought they could use the Renaissance to show society in it's golden years.
If it were all as dark and gloomy as DX the difference wouldn't be so present on everyone's minds. To me it would feel plastic and we'd have one less reminder that we're "living" the times right before it all went wrong.

And while Bioshock might've influenced this choice of theirs a bit, I think the main reason for them to use this art style was what I mentioned above. Bioshock is more of an afterthought to me when I look at the game's art direction.

With all the negativity being thrown about, this is still the bit that I can't understand or agree with...

gamer0004
24th Feb 2009, 15:46
That's just the thing, in DX world had gone to all hell, there were riots, a plague, governments were collapsing. A dark and somber style was a good way to help illustrate this.

In DX3 the world and society are at their apex, everything is apparently well, I guess that they thought they could use the Renaissance to show society in it's golden years.
If it were all as dark and gloomy as DX the difference wouldn't be so present on everyone's minds. To me it would feel plastic and we'd have one less reminder that we're "living" the times right before it all went wrong.

First of all, your missing the "realistic" part of the DX atmosphere here. Secondly, DX3 is a bit too depressing in some cases, and a bit too bright in other places. In fact, they sometimes even mix the two in one room.

Mindmute
24th Feb 2009, 16:23
First of all, your missing the "realistic" part of the DX atmosphere here. Secondly, DX3 is a bit too depressing in some cases, and a bit too bright in other places. In fact, they sometimes even mix the two in one room.

I'm not missing anything, none of them are realistic.
It's just as unrealistic to have design based out of the Renaissance theme in the year when DX3 happens, as it is to have a design style that's completely unchanged from the 90s in the year when DX takes place.

To me it has just been a little different from DX, but still a good take on a cyber punk-based society in it's apex years, especially if you stop taking the Renaissance at it's face value and look a bit at the metaphor it's trying to create instead.

3nails4you
24th Feb 2009, 16:41
All I know is, if I have to wear one of those puffy shirts or sport some puffy half-pants, I WILL disown the entire franchise, maybe even video games in general.

OK, OK, I will still love video games and especially DX1. But seriously, I would be EXTREMELY angry and these forums would not be your favorite place in the world :D

AaronJ
24th Feb 2009, 21:54
That's the kind of stuff I talked about in my latest analysis, but we're just trying to make sense of it ourselves. It is EM's job to explain the real reasoning.

Although, I do agree that this could go wrong in the Phantom Menace Syndrome way. They take advantage of the art direction capabilities, but in the process create one GIANT continuity error.

thomasaquinas
25th Feb 2009, 03:44
I'm not missing anything, none of them are realistic.
It's just as unrealistic to have design based out of the Renaissance theme in the year when DX3 happens, as it is to have a design style that's completely unchanged from the 90s in the year when DX takes place.It is? It made perfect sense to me that by the time of Deus Ex, the separation of wealth be even greater than it is today. We certainly see advanced technology in the posession of Tracer Tong and the elite - VersaLife, Area 51, Vandenberg. Why would you expect such technology to trickle down into the impoverished, diseased underclasses that made up most of the population? Most of the planet today still live in houses built 50 years ago, with small indications of greater world-wide technological advancement littered over it - like Computers. If the separation of wealth had been getting progressively worse, by Deus Ex's time, I would still expect most to be living in the same houses they do today - if they still own houses at all.

Big Orange
25th Feb 2009, 11:49
Although, I do agree that this could go wrong in the Phantom Menace Syndrome way. They take advantage of the art direction capabilities, but in the process create one GIANT continuity error.

That's EXACTLY what I'm also afraid of, but I want there to be enough normal business suits, police & military uniforms, workers' cover alls, and cheap casual clothes unchanged since the 1970s to keep the setting grounded. But I expect gang leaders and pimps to have a very loud, vulgar fashion sene which would be in keeping with the Renaissance.

facepalm
25th Feb 2009, 16:51
But I expect gang leaders and pimps to have a very loud, vulgar fashion sene which would be in keeping with the Renaissance.

:hmm:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/Build_more_tanks/renrock3.jpg

Big Orange
26th Feb 2009, 21:35
He-he, turn the coat purple and give his pants tiger skins. That would be bling. :thumb:

Spyhopping
27th Feb 2009, 03:10
^ ^ That image reminds that Deus ex sure had a fat handed population :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyxGTjZi2I <== (watch out for bad language.)

AaronJ
27th Feb 2009, 03:56

This is Deus Ex.

WhatsHisFace
27th Feb 2009, 04:19
When I think "Deus Ex"... I think of Renaissance Pimps.

FrankCSIS
27th Feb 2009, 04:27
You do have to admit they'd be the first to join in the bad over the top fashion.

If there's some acid remark from the protagonist whenever he sees those outfits, I'll play ball. There's way too many jokes to be made about puffy sleeves not to roll with it.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Mar 2009, 13:02
I like the fact that DX3 focuses on future fashion. Designers like Gareth Pugh already embrace this artist renaissance style.

http://hipstersbeware.blogspot.com/2008/09/paris-fashion-week-ss-2009-gareth-pugh.html
http://www.style.com/fashionshows/powersearch?trend=trend7&designer=design_house996

The best thing will be the nano-textiles that will be dirt, odour and static resistant. That means less washing machine use - very eco-friendly. :cool:

Fig89
4th Mar 2009, 21:50
I agree that a movement towards smart, 'nano' textures and clothing is likely ( I mean hell we already have wifi detector shirts ), but ... stylistically I don't think you can just point a few designers and say 'This is the way of the future.'

The poor sick people who do not have money should not have nice clothes. Clothing has always been a status symbol, and I just hope we don't have everyone walking about in this neorenaissance garb.

Maybe the pampered college kids of the elite would wear this stuff, and maybe a much less obnoxious version for professional business men, but the majority of POOR people are gonna be wearing whatever they can get their hands on. Maybe a pimp can afford one nice jacket or something, but all the Sandra Rentons shouldn't be, uh, chic.

Jerion
4th Mar 2009, 21:55
I agree that a movement towards smart, 'nano' textures and clothing is likely ( I mean hell we already have wifi detector shirts ), but ... stylistically I don't think you can just point a few designers and say 'This is the way of the future.'

The poor sick people who do not have money should not have nice clothes. Clothing has always been a status symbol, and I just hope we don't have everyone walking about in this neorenaissance garb.

Maybe the pampered college kids of the elite would wear this stuff, and maybe a much less obnoxious version for professional business men, but the majority of POOR people are gonna be wearing whatever they can get their hands on. Maybe a pimp can afford one nice jacket or something, but all the Sandra Rentons shouldn't be, uh, chic.

My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Mar 2009, 22:57
Yes, of course there will be a difference between the rich and the poor. Exactly as it is today, in fact. :)
I guess some of the poor may wear the hand-me-downs; like you can now, when you find the odd "designer" garment turning up at a charity shop or flea market etc.

Fig89
4th Mar 2009, 23:11
Dear god I had not seen this:

http://fc67.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/280/b/9/b91c1719f33788f502798ac1b154d5fe.jpg

DONT DO IT AUGH PLEASE NO

I really want to stress that I think this neorenaissance style should be limited to people with egotistical narcissists. I mean, if you're using this ridiculous style to prove a point about the person that wears it, than I can appreciate that, but... if normal people dress like this, if in DX3 people like these are common outside of enclaves that reek of elitism, you're doing it wrong.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Mar 2009, 08:28
^
Talented artist. :cool:

René
5th Mar 2009, 15:17
Great pic!

Sabretooth1
5th Mar 2009, 16:55
Agreed with the points above. The whole Neorenaissance look may be lovely to behold, but it's a very risky decision for a game like Deus Ex 3. Clothes like that should be restricted to the elites and rich people, while ordinary people wear ordinary clothes (like in Deus Ex 1, say). Even Invisible War had a fairly average wardrobe, come to think of it.

That Renaissance Rock is awesome though. :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Mar 2009, 17:17
Yeah, I'm 99.9 (and a bit more) percent sure that the poor will look much more 'ordinary'. Styles may be similar, as with all fashion trends, but the clothing of the poor will be less showy.

jamhaw
8th Mar 2009, 19:54

How did that picture get made? It almost looks like it's in game. (In fact when I first looked at it I thought it was in game)

facepalm
8th Mar 2009, 20:27
Photoshop, a 3d application and some copypasted screenshots from the game. The renaissance style outfit is from one of the magazine scans.

lumpi
8th Mar 2009, 21:12
Dear god I had not seen this:

http://fc67.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/280/b/9/b91c1719f33788f502798ac1b154d5fe.jpg

DONT DO IT AUGH PLEASE NO

I really want to stress that I think this neorenaissance style should be limited to people with egotistical narcissists. I mean, if you're using this ridiculous style to prove a point about the person that wears it, than I can appreciate that, but... if normal people dress like this, if in DX3 people like these are common outside of enclaves that reek of elitism, you're doing it wrong.

Hilarious! :lmao:

I generally love the art direction, though. It's gonna be pretty atmospheric and out of the norm.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Mar 2009, 13:05
Interesting article I found - "Wearable Technology / Smart Clothing":

Future brands of haute couture will probably owe more to Cisco Systems than Coco Chanel.

Designers have been experimenting with innovative materials for years. Once-revolutionary synthetic fabrics such as polyester, Spandex, Gore-Tex and Ultrasuede are now used in a wide range of apparel and footwear. Recently, hip, Los Angeles-based denim designer Serfontaine Jeans started using DuPont's Lycra T400, which is made from multicomponent yarns, to create stretch jeans that don't lose their elasticity, thereby virtually eliminating the need for a belt.

But we're not just talking about clothes made with cool fabrics that retain their shapes or better resist stains -- what's known as "smart clothing". We're also talking about clothes with new technology incorporated into its design, aka "wearable technology".

Many companies are already blending fashion and technology in a limited way: Burlington, snowboard maker Burton sells the Clone Mini Disc Jacket, which is a coat with a built-in Sony mini disc player and a remote control sewn into the sleeve. And to help fashion-forward customers keep even cooler during the summer, Japanese company Kuuchou makes jackets with built-in fans.

But the real high-tech designs of the future have yet to reach the stores. These will consist mainly of technologically enabled fabrics and garments that are only being sketched out in ateliers and research labs around the world. According to Marshal Cohen, chief industry analyst of Port Washington, New York-based NPD group, wearable technology still accounts for less than 1 per cent of the US fashion industry's retail sales. Although this sector is still in its infancy, the fashion industry as a whole is exhibiting solid growth.

Cohen says wearable technology will eventually become a basic commodity, much like the blue jean. "Why buy a basic pair of khakis when future ones will be able to keep your legs warm with heating coils built into the lining? The future of technology in fiber and products is only a few years away."

As usual, expect to see wearable tech and smart clothing first adopted by fringe groups such as skiers and students before it catches on with the mainstream. NPD expects that skiwear and active-wear companies, such as Nike, Columbia, adidas and Timberland, will be the most likely to drive development. Last year, adidas released adidas_1 footwear, a running shoe with an embedded microchip that monitors the terrain underfoot and accordingly adjusts the level of shock absorption provided by the shoe's heel.

Students at the Media Lab at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, believe young men with a keen interest in technology are more likely to embrace wearable technology trends than are women, who will prefer "computational-clothing," which does not sacrifice its aesthetic value for the sake of technology.

In London, it is not just clothing that is becoming technical - designers are innovating with the way clothes are fitted. Bodymetrics, a London-based fashion-technology firm, and Serfontaine Jeans, have joined together to create the world's first pair of perfectly fitted jeans. Using a light scanner, Bodymetrics has created a pod to scan a client's body and record their exact body measurements. Once in their underwear, the client stands in a pitch black chamber while a light flashes over their body for eight seconds. Their measurements are then recorded and a pair of "perfect-fit" jeans arrive in the mail within two weeks - for $530 a pop, or more than twice the price of a regular pair of Serfontaine jeans.

But innovative clothing need not be so expensive. Students at MIT's Media Lab are also experimenting with affordable wearable tech. Using fabrics imbued with various metals, such as organza, copper, carbon and stainless steel, they have produced conductive clothing that is still soft to the touch. Amanda Parkes, an MIT student, has been studying how nitinol - an acronym for the Nickel Titanium Naval Ordnance Laboratory, a material that contains a nearly equal mixture of nickel and titanium - changes shape during fluctuations in temperature. With the application of a small amount of heat, a nitinol-based long-sleeve shirt can become short sleeved in seconds, while still being able to revert back to its original shape.

Some ideas are even more radical. Suzanne Lee, a senior professor at St. Martin's School of Fashion in London and the author of Fashioning the Future, describes a "spray-on dress" made from a chemical formula that allows you to create a temporary dress from virtually nothing. The chemical is sprayed directly onto the skin to form a cloud of non-woven cloth, which can be styled as desired. At the MIT Media Lab, students have also conjured up "epi-skin," a piece of jewellry made from epithelial skin cells that are cultured in the lab and grown in a test tube.

Some of the concepts being explored, such as air-conditioned jackets and wrinkle-resistant sweaters, will probably be on the market before long. But others, such as talking T-shirts and airplane dresses, may never find a practical application, let alone see the light of day - no matter how cool they sound.

Now if we can get a pair of sneakers that give us a good workout without us having to move, we'd be set.

Source: http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14166813

René
12th Mar 2009, 15:38
Great article. These things are coming, if they're not here already!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Mar 2009, 00:13
Yeah, it sounds like much of this will hit the mainstream market soon.
I can't wait for the day when you don't have to iron clothes any more... such a boring activity. I often don't bother, if I can get away with it. :whistle:

FrankCSIS
13th Mar 2009, 00:20
I saw an interview a few months ago with a Montreal designer who was working on such technology at MIT. She eventually left because the only funds they had were to work on military hi tech clothing gear, and she got tired of it. Now she's back here working on fashion, but with very little funding.

She had this tissue flower sewed on a suit that would blossom and close without any mechanical device. It was just a current shot into the tissue that would make it change form.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Mar 2009, 12:00
Sounds a beautiful idea... 'intelligent jewellery' kind of thing. :cool:

lumpi
15th Mar 2009, 13:09
a nitinol-based long-sleeve shirt can become short sleeved in seconds, while still being able to revert back to its original shape.

Isn't that a scene from Back To The Future 2? :p