PDA

View Full Version : The name 'The Mass'

Shrykull_the1st
10th Jan 2009, 13:28
I was wondering, why did the Hylden name that creature 'The Mass'? How does that name apply to it? I'm not english so I might be missing its meaning...

Escaton
10th Jan 2009, 14:28
A mass can be described as a dense collection of something. So, whatever the Mass is made of, I guess there's a lot of it. If it's a mass of something hugely destructive to the inhabitants of Nosgoth's Material Realm, then there you go.

Linikratyo
10th Jan 2009, 19:32
A mass can be described as a dense collection of something. So, whatever the Mass is made of, I guess there's a lot of it. If it's a mass of something hugely destructive to the inhabitants of Nosgoth's Material Realm, then there you go.

Maybe Glyph energy.... :scratch:

Escaton
10th Jan 2009, 22:25
I dunno, apparently that only harmed Vampires, plus since the Mass required Janos' blood to thrive while the Glyph equipment didn't...

Linikratyo
11th Jan 2009, 00:13
I dunno, apparently that only harmed Vampires, plus since the Mass required Janos' blood to thrive while the Glyph equipment didn't...

Yes they needed Janos to be drained...... His energy might have been a big part of the mass....

TheWatcher
13th Jan 2009, 02:48
It sounded cool.

ammon
15th Apr 2009, 13:31
maybe the developers were poking an invisible finger at us, the fans :lol:
for we are a destructive force but we need the blood of LOK to thrive :rasp:

Valaquen_
5th May 2009, 18:45
I was wondering, why did the Hylden name that creature 'The Mass'? How does that name apply to it? I'm not english so I might be missing its meaning...
Because the developers ran out of imagination.

Kazame
30th Oct 2009, 16:38
The mass, The seer, the builder, the beast, the device, the eternal prison, the hylden city, the hylden gate..

Really, I just don't think its worth disputing their lack of creativity.

Linikratyo
30th Oct 2009, 20:20
The mass, The seer, the builder, the beast, the device, the eternal prison, the hylden city, the hylden gate..

Really, I just don't think its worth disputing their lack of creativity.

:lol:

Shrykull_the1st
31st Oct 2009, 15:07
lol nicely pointed Kazame xD

however I just wasn't getting how the name Mass aplies to that blob... Is it used in english the name mass do describe just that? Because when I seached it's meaning it was leading to the mass at a church, etc...

Valaquen_
31st Oct 2009, 15:27
It means a mass, not the catholic ceremony.

Shrykull_the1st
31st Oct 2009, 15:45
yes, of course. So it can be used to describe a blob right?

Valaquen_
31st Oct 2009, 17:27
If the blob is big, then yeah. It can apply to a large quantity of anything - a mass crowd, etc

Kazame
9th Nov 2009, 17:08
If you're getting into the gritty detail of things, anything can be called the mass. Its probably one of the most vague terms in our language. Everthing has mass, even ants and atoms. Thats scientifically, of course. Culturally, I guess saying "mass" makes one think of large things, but this is a falacy.

Cata_Blake
6th Jan 2010, 21:28
It's not really a falacy, there is a difference between scientific meaning and cultural meaning... so, scientifically, yes, everything has and actually is mass, but coloquially mass refers to things being large of a big quantity of... Maybe they just wanted it to sound like big, messy and even maybe a bit grotesque (mass evokes something without any particular form) before we actually see it.

I agree with you Kazame on the lack of creativity of course, but then again, Blood Omen 2 is my least favorite of the series for me... for that and other obvious reasons...