PDA

View Full Version : Add a little charm to DX3: Malkavian Mod

ABetterWorld
4th Jan 2009, 20:05
I was impressed by the Malkavian mod for Deus Ex 1. Hilarious. :lol: I've also really enjoyed the random bits of humor found in games like the Metal Gear Solid series. Even before I saw these though, I had always thought it would be a great idea for game devs to add something like that as an unlockable.

And here's why it's a great idea, and why it should be added to DX3:

Because it will increase the attention the game gets. It will be talked about on the internet and by word-of-mouth. And if the Malkavian mod had been made for DX1 closer to the time of it's release, you can bet it would have made a little more noise for the game.

Please seriously consider it! (But not too seriously... heh) :lol:

ZylonBane
4th Jan 2009, 20:12
...as an unlockable.
Instant fail.

Now here's an idea that doesn't suck: Make different dialog options available based on your character stats. Which would basically be the same thing, only integrated into the actual game. And which they're probably already doing, since they've mentioned that there will be a strong "social" component to the gameplay.

ABetterWorld
4th Jan 2009, 20:18
Instant fail.

Now here's an idea that doesn't suck: Make different dialog options available based on your character stats. Which would basically be the same thing, only integrated into the actual game. And which they're probably already doing, since they've mentioned that there will be a strong "social" component to the gameplay.

Wow, you have managed to completely miss the point. I'm talking about bizarre and hilarious self-parody, not dialogue options in the actual game. It's not the same thing at all. Have you even seen the Malkavian mod? And how is "as an unlockable" instant-fail?

Anyone who's not a moron got an opinion?

Jerion
4th Jan 2009, 20:23
I do!

I think it's a fun idea, but would be one of those little fun add-ons that could only be enabled after finishing the single player- then if it is enabled, on subsequent playthroughs everything is just a real wacko laugh.

Although I think it would be better done as a community Mod project than a built-in feature.

Absentia
4th Jan 2009, 20:41
I do!
Although I think it would be better done as a community Mod project than a built-in feature.

Same. If I were the developers of the mod, I'd feel cheated if they made their own version in the third game. Not to mention it being a total waste of the developers time, which couldve been spent on better things.
But this is all the more reason to RELEASE AN SDK!

Larington
4th Jan 2009, 21:56
Depends on the nature of the unlocking. For instance, I'd love to have a look at some of the unlockables in Tomb Raider: Underworld, but having to find a bunch of well hidden trinkets scattered throughout the game world is something I find rather tedious - A very artificial way of trying to extend the lifespan of the game (Though at least they did provide the player with a treasure hunt mode that has all the puzzles pre-solved).

ZylonBane
4th Jan 2009, 22:50
And how is "as an unlockable" instant-fail?
Because, as we've established in prior threads, unlockables are for console tards.

And not only have I played the Malkavian mod, I've played a Malkavian in VtM: Bloodlines, which is where the Malkavian mod creator got the idea in the first place.

Mindmute
4th Jan 2009, 23:30
Wow, you have managed to completely miss the point. I'm talking about bizarre and hilarious self-parody, not dialogue options in the actual game. It's not the same thing at all. Have you even seen the Malkavian mod? And how is "as an unlockable" instant-fail?

Anyone who's not a moron got an opinion?

Firstly, calling someone a moron on your second post just because he disagrees with you is sort of a bad introduction...

On the topic, I'd really rather leave it for the mod community and have the devs focus only on what they need to. Anytime they spent here would be manhours they could spend polishing parts of the game or testing it better.

Romeo
4th Jan 2009, 23:32
I do!

I think it's a fun idea, but would be one of those little fun add-ons that could only be enabled after finishing the single player- then if it is enabled, on subsequent playthroughs everything is just a real wacko laugh.

Or at the very least, make them easter eggs. Halo 3 isn't the funniest game I've ever played, but once you go through and look for the hidden jokes in the game, along with it's cameo's, it's actually kinda funny.

imported_van_HellSing
5th Jan 2009, 04:42
Because, as we've established in prior threads, unlockables are for console tards.

"We" as in Zylon and Bane.

El_Bel
5th Jan 2009, 11:42
How about giving the tools to the community to create mods like malkavian and whoever likes them can download them?

ABetterWorld
7th Jan 2009, 04:01
How about giving the tools to the community to create mods like malkavian and whoever likes them can download them?

^Also a fine idea! But, I think that something like it on the part of the devs would add value to the original product, and the more a game brings to the table, the more overall appeal it will have to the consumer.

Overall, I think the hours spent on some dialogue and animation edits would be worth the effort. I'm not putting down the fan effort. It's just an idea for the devs.

In any case, of course, I would hope they're going to let folks mod this thing.

Necros
10th Jan 2009, 09:03
If I were the developers of the mod, I'd feel cheated if they made their own version in the third game.
I'd feel honored if I was in their shoes... :rolleyes:

"We" as in Zylon and Bane.
:thumb: If done well, unlockables can be good.