PDA

View Full Version : Character customization option

Panther10
3rd Jan 2009, 05:01
Hi all. This is my first post here. I can't wait for this game but I have a few ideas as to how to make it a little cooler.

I think this game needs a few more elements to up the stakes a lot more.. Something for the fans in particular...and I think I know how to make that work. I think that this game should have a "customizable character" option (similiar to the one used in games like Saints Row 2.) I think it could really be beneficial for players if they are able to choose how they want their batman to look.That way everyone has a shot at playing as their "definitive" version of Batman. And the customizing options should be really thorough. Players should have the options of chosing things like:

Muscle mass
Jaw structure
facial expression
eye color (or lack of irises all together)
costume design/color
Bat symbol type
ear length
cape height/width
combat style
belt contents/weapons
taunts/scare tactics

If a player could truely engineer their own version of batman, they might be able to tip the scales while roaming around arkham. Plus the cutscenes could be intergrated so you can always see your version of batman on screen in the cinematics.

Zsasz
3rd Jan 2009, 05:09
Well seeing as this game is based heavily, if not completely, on the comics I think that option would just spoil the feel of being immersed in a comic-book story of your own. It would also be a good choice for the casual gaming demographic, but for the ones who used to watch the Batman cartoons, and read the Batman comics, it would be a bit of a let down. Plus I don't see how it could be immersed smoothly into the gameplay, in Saint's Row 2 the customization is put in competently because of the fact they're removing bandages after extensive facial and bodily reconstructive surgery. A good option if they were making a game for casual gamers who like to make their characters their own, but if it were for the fans it would destroy the authenticity of the story.

However, changing the Bat Suit by calling your old friend Lucius Fox could be a good way to put that in, but it could only be at certain points in the story. Even Lucius has a schedule, what with virtually running the company.

Panther10
3rd Jan 2009, 05:17
Well seeing as this game is based heavily, if not completely, on the comics I think that option would just spoil the feel of being immersed in a comic-book story of your own. It would also be a good choice for the casual gaming demographic, but for the ones who used to watch the Batman cartoons, and read the Batman comics, it would be a bit of a let down. Plus I don't see how it could be immersed smoothly into the gameplay, in Saint's Row 2 the customization is put in competently because of the fact they're removing bandages after extensive facial and bodily reconstructive surgery. A good option if they were making a game for casual gamers who like to make their characters their own, but if it were for the fans it would destroy the authenticity of the story.

However, changing the Bat Suit by calling your old friend Lucius Fox could be a good way to put that in, but it could only be at certain points in the story. Even Lucius has a schedule, what with virtually running the company.

I wasn't aware that lucius even deduced batman's secret identity in the comics. I thought that was only used in the film. Maybe instead of Lucius, they use Alfred instead. And since there is an underground batcave beneath Arkham, batman could access it at any point to recieve the equipment he needs.

door noob
3rd Jan 2009, 16:45
I wasn't aware that lucius even deduced batman's secret identity in the comics. I thought that was only used in the film. Maybe instead of Lucius, they use Alfred instead. And since there is an underground batcave beneath Arkham, batman could access it at any point to recieve the equipment he needs.

Lucius Fox (in the comic book story line) is aware of Bruce Waynes activities, though he prefers to keep it to himself, thus batman would not seek Lucius Fox to customize his suit. Preferribly he would do it himself.

And I think customizing Batman in eye color, height, and what not is not a such great idea. You see that would be more efficient for an RPG story. Batman is already a preset character and most of the people would like to keep it that way, but suit customization is fine with me.

Panther10
3rd Jan 2009, 18:02
Lucius Fox (in the comic book story line) is aware of Bruce Waynes activities, though he prefers to keep it to himself, thus batman would not seek Lucius Fox to customize his suit. Preferribly he would do it himself.

And I think customizing Batman in eye color, height, and what not is not a such great idea. You see that would be more efficient for an RPG story. Batman is already a preset character and most of the people would like to keep it that way, but suit customization is fine with me.

I'm actually very suprised with what I've heard so far. In my mind, I figured that since there are so many artistic interpitations of the character anyway, people would love it if "their" batman could look like the neal adams version of the 70's, or Marshall Rogers version, or Norm Breyfogle's, or the year one version, Or Jim Lee's or even Frank Miller's Batman from DKR.

Provided if there are enough options to work with, you might just be able to engineer that particular version of Batman completely on your own pound for pound. That way you wouldn't have to work with artistic representations left soley in the hands of the developers (just in case they include extra costumes.) Now the design is left completely up to you. It's your call. And if nothing else, I'd bet you'd take a little pride in your work. It would be a lot more fun to see "your batman" on screen than a pre-rendered one.

JD_Method
6th Jan 2009, 15:19
I did think of this myself actually.

And I did mention it when I was at Rocksteady. I doubt it will be in the game though.

thereisnoeleven
7th Jan 2009, 00:53
I have always dreamt of an option like this. Hell, I want a sandbox game that offers all the tools/vehicles/etc with almost full customization.

Doubt we'll ever get it, but whatever...

shadowmatt18
8th Jan 2009, 02:39
bonus costumes is really all we'll ever need. but on a seperatenote it would be cool if you could play as alternate characters it has been rumoured.

Evanescfan
19th May 2009, 17:58
Hi all. This is my first post here. I can't wait for this game but I have a few ideas as to how to make it a little cooler.

I think this game needs a few more elements to up the stakes a lot more.. Something for the fans in particular...and I think I know how to make that work. I think that this game should have a "customizable character" option (similiar to the one used in games like Saints Row 2.) I think it could really be beneficial for players if they are able to choose how they want their batman to look.That way everyone has a shot at playing as their "definitive" version of Batman. And the customizing options should be really thorough. Players should have the options of chosing things like:

Muscle mass
Jaw structure
facial expression
costume design/color
Bat symbol type
ear length
cape height/width
combat style
belt contents/weapons
taunts/scare tactics

If a player could truely engineer their own version of batman, they might be able to tip the scales while roaming around arkham. Plus the cutscenes could be intergrated so you can always see your version of batman on screen in the cinematics.
i plan to be a video game director in the next few years.

i'll be looking forward to working on something like this :)

The Bat
19th May 2009, 20:23

Second that. Also, I really don't think you should be able to customize the look and feel of Batman except of course his fighting moves and stuff, but except that, even the slightest change to Batman CAN make Batman a lot less Batman. Just my opinion.

CaptainMcMulla
19th May 2009, 20:25
Customising Batman? In my opinion thats a bad idea. For me Batman looks great in this game.

The Bat
20th May 2009, 01:07
Exactly, he does look great in the game. There are still a few aspects that can improve Batman, but if you make a character customization option, there is only a few things you can do with it resulting in the reviewers critisizing the option like crazy.

The Bat
20th May 2009, 01:08
Bloody hell, CaptainMcMulla, I just looked at the number of posts you made and when you joined and that's crazy (Not in a bad way.)

KillerCroc
20th May 2009, 01:09
It is a very interesting idea.

The Joker 1
20th May 2009, 01:14

Muscle mass
Jaw structure
facial expression
costume design/color
Bat symbol type
ear length
cape height/width
combat style
belt contents/weapons
taunts/scare tactics

I like that idea a lot!:) That would be good!

TAPETRVE
20th May 2009, 10:18
I'm actually very suprised with what I've heard so far. In my mind, I figured that since there are so many artistic interpitations of the character anyway, people would love it if "their" batman could look like the neal adams version of the 70's, or Marshall Rogers version, or Norm Breyfogle's, or the year one version, Or Jim Lee's or even Frank Miller's Batman from DKR.

I think AA Bats is a bit of everything but judging from his pretty sadistic ways of dispatching enemies that in terms of brutal violence probably fall second only to Rorschach from Watchmen, he has a lot in common especially with the Frank Miller character.

Holiday
20th May 2009, 11:17
and i thought my jokes were bad...

i will express my opinion by saying that this is potentially the worst idea for this game that i have ever read.
Rocksteady must have worked really hard on that character model, and now people are saying they want "pimp it out" saints row 2 style?

We need a good Batman game, just give us that and leave out all the silly little addons that people want (Alternative costumes NOT being one of them)

(prepares to be flamed)

TAPETRVE
20th May 2009, 11:32
I second that. And honestly, aren't different batsuits more then enough? The man inside never really changes, does he?

EliteF50
20th May 2009, 12:07
I have always dreamt of an option like this. Hell, I want a sandbox game that offers all the tools/vehicles/etc with almost full customization.

Doubt we'll ever get it, but whatever...

I recommend you check out Saints Row 2.

The Comedian
20th May 2009, 16:49
There will most likely be unlockable costumes in game like Neal Adams Batman and so forth.

Velderik
20th May 2009, 18:59
Stupid idea for this game, but some extra costumes would be nice.

Velderik
20th May 2009, 19:02
I recommend you check out Saints Row 2.

Saint's Row 2 isn't full customisation, it still is limited in creating your own gangstyle, because it has been pre-programmed, you can only choose what type of gang to have and not create a totally new one.

But the customisation of your own character is great, you can almost make anyone with it, just like in the comercials on tv, you could make Mcain or Obama :D

Zombie-Gamer
20th May 2009, 19:10
I like this idea a lot but it wouldn't really fit in AA, would be cool in another Batman game where you choose how Batman looks and then you can go out in to Gotham and fight crime and make your own decision like how to deal with criminals and the decisions you make shape the events and story so everyones game would be different.

TAPETRVE
20th May 2009, 19:22
Well, some inFamous/Prototype-alike Batman-game would be nice, indeed. Roam the urban canyons of Gotham and take on the fight against crime - either nice and legally in consultation with the authorities, or else, hunting on your own, quenching your thirst for brutal violence. Who cares, as long as you're on the side of justice, you may do as you please :D .

CaptainMcMulla
20th May 2009, 19:23
Bloody hell, CaptainMcMulla, I just looked at the number of posts you made and when you joined and that's crazy (Not in a bad way.)

I know, its because im a huge Batman fan and this game looks very promising. Everything i see of this game it just looks better & better.

DarkKnightDanny
20th May 2009, 22:58

thats because the captain is a legend!

The Joker 1
20th May 2009, 23:03
Speaking of character customization, which games allows the player to costumise the character? I know that Two Worlds and Soul Calibur 4 lets you do that, but what other games?

Velderik
20th May 2009, 23:32
Speaking of character customization, which games allows the player to costumise the character? I know that Two Worlds and Soul Calibur 4 lets you do that, but what other games?

Gta: SA, GTA 4, GTA: LCS, GTA VCS, SR 1, SR 2, The Godfather 1, The Godfather 2, Oblivion, and of course all kinds of MMOs

The Joker 1
20th May 2009, 23:33
Gta: SA, GTA 4, GTA: LCS, GTA VCS, SR 1, SR 2, The Godfather 1, The Godfather 2, Oblivion, and of course all kinds of MMOs

What are MMOs?

TAPETRVE
20th May 2009, 23:43
WoW for an instance ;) .

The Joker 1
20th May 2009, 23:47
WoW for an instance ;) .

Ok. Thanks!

Ratchetdude099
21st May 2009, 00:10
I think the only thing you would want to customize the suit. My idea: Be able to choose from all the different versions of the Batsuit, including temporary changes (if there are any). I don't know, I just thought it would be a cool feature, or possibly included in some future DLC?