PDA

View Full Version : Cyberspace net like dystopia and virtual worlds

Ghostface
3rd Jan 2009, 03:08
Would be a cool feature to have actual cyberspace in deus ex. Hacking would be more involved with this. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ez9-fGdS0

K^2
3rd Jan 2009, 03:18
There is some sort of minigame involved in hacking. I do seem to recall someone mentioning an RTS, but I don't remember if it was serious or not.

Virtual spaces would be interesting, but I'd rather have them as meeting spaces and ways for gathering information ("hacking" for information, perhaps?) then as something used to hack into security systems. I'm also a little concerned about such an idea because it can come out either really cool or really lame. There isn't an in between, so if EM isn't ready to pour a good amount of effort into it, I'd rather not have it at all.

LatwPIAT
5th Jan 2009, 07:32
There is some sort of minigame involved in hacking. I do seem to recall someone mentioning an RTS, but I don't remember if it was serious or not.

I was serious.

K^2
5th Jan 2009, 07:47
If it is an RTS, all I can say is that I hope it isn't one of these twitchy rush-or-die RTS. I can't rush to save my life, but I'm really good at playing turtle. As long as I'm given a chance to expand slowly and systematically, I'm fine.

Spiffmeister
5th Jan 2009, 09:54
Would be good if it was implemented well, I don't know how they'd do that though so it would be an interesting feature.

GmanPro
5th Jan 2009, 17:05
Obviously it would have to be really short and quick. Or else it would get very old very fast. It has to be something that you actually want to do, and not just a chore like in BioShock.

I don't see it as being a long drawn out game where you would even have time to build up slowly K^2.

I personally don't really like the idea in general. Even if it is done well, I still think that real-time pseudo-minigame like picking locks in Thief 3 would be better. I don't want to go into some 2D abstract representation whilst the game world goes into pause mode.

dixieflatline
5th Jan 2009, 21:33
This would be as good of a place as any to strongly recommend trying out that game in the youtube video, Dystopia.

I've been playing the game since it was in beta, and it is a blast. Honestly as far as cyberpunk games go , I think it is #1 as far as what is being played currently.

It is a free Half Life 2 mod. It is a FPS with hacking. You can pick the load out of your character. You can choose different weapons, implants and stuff.

The game is a blast. I've played it a lot, pretty solid for about 1.5 years (or 2) straight, which should tell you something.

It is pretty tough to get the hang of, when you first start out. But I can't recommend this game enough. Especially if you have Half Life 2 and are a cyberpunk fan, you simply must give this game a chance. The only thing it needs is more players.

dixieflatline
5th Jan 2009, 22:02
Oh ya :)

That being said about Dystopia, I don't think D.E 3 needs a hacking component as involved as strong as it is Dystopia.

Of course in a perfect world, it would. But in the real world, where the team has a finite budget and can't focus on everything, a simple and effective hacking minigame would be about all I could ask for. Fallout 3's was pretty good. I'd prefer logic based ones, over a reflex based one (like in Mass Effect), because those get tired pretty fast.

Of course your hacking skill should also play a big role in the hacking as well.

K^2
6th Jan 2009, 02:38
Dix, I hate to tell you, but you're a ROM construct. Just thought you should know.

LatwPIAT
6th Jan 2009, 07:46
Yeah, Black ICE does a brain bad...

Dead-Eye
6th Jan 2009, 10:13
Fallout 3's hacking system was awesome but I wouldn't won't to see Deus Ex 3 do the same thing; that also apples to coping Dystopia's virtual reality system.

Hacking in Deus Ex 3 should be like it was in Deus Ex with maybe a few extra features for difficulty. Has anyone in here ever played Uplink? That game had a vary fun hacking system that some of which could easily be included in Deus Ex's system. For example you can buy/make the program for bypassing the security monitoring system on terminals. That way you can actually read emails when you hack a computer. Things like this would be a welcome addition to the gameplay.

Dystopia is a must try for any Deus Ex fan.

Jerion
6th Jan 2009, 10:17
Oh YES...Uplink had a great hacking system. :cool: It would be fantastic if DX 3 had a similar system, with purchasable software and a security office somewhere tracing you...

Radius86
6th Jan 2009, 10:30
Oh YES...Uplink had a great hacking system. :cool: It would be fantastic if DX 3 had a similar system, with purchasable software and a security office somewhere tracing you...

I don't know. While I enjoy the realism of the hacking in Uplink, I still kinda dug the green bar moving across after clicking 'Hack' in the first game (of DX). It was cheesy yes, but that's what made it fun as well. And it had the skill point system in place to make it move faster once you upgraded. If you ask me, too many bells and whistles serve as a distraction to the game.

I personally liked the security spikes from Knights of the Old Republic. :)

GmanPro
6th Jan 2009, 10:41
^^ Ahh yes, that was a good system. Made you think about how you wanted to spend your resources. Made hacking characters much more useful in certain situations.

dixieflatline
6th Jan 2009, 23:28
Dix, I hate to tell you, but you're a ROM construct. Just thought you should know.

:) living in the matrix is such a richer life -- you have no idea meatspace man.

dixieflatline
6th Jan 2009, 23:31

If I was to design a dream game Deus Ex 3, it would have a Uplink-type hacking depth to it. But realistically though, I really don't think the team has the resources to bring that sort of depth to the hacking element of the game.

Maybe a real simple one though, I guess would be possible. Like you had a base hacking stat, that you could modify with purchasing different programs and improving your 'deck' or neural implants. OH damn that would be so cool. Really though, not to sound too pessimistic or anything, but I doubt hacking will be much more than a skill-check and a hacking bar progressing from left to right. Loved to be proved wrong of course; I'm just thinking though that the hacking in the game is probably going to be very simple due to the realities of game development.

Not to say that we shouldn't be talking about this or offering suggestions for the team though :D

Dead-Eye
8th Jan 2009, 07:48
I'm just thinking though that the hacking in the game is probably going to be very simple due to the realities of game development.

Uplink is actually a vary simple game to make when you think about it. There is no 3d engine involved. I think it would be cool to see a hybrid between Uplink and Deus Ex 1.

Unstoppable
8th Jan 2009, 08:29
Would be a cool feature to have actual cyberspace in deus ex. Hacking would be more involved with this. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ez9-fGdS0

Dystopia is a really well made modification. The hacking is so cool too. Lets see what Deus Ex 3 pulls off. :thumb:

Tommy98000
8th Jan 2009, 23:38
Has anyone seen the game uplink? I think if dues ex could do something like that but on a much more basic level since that game was based just on hacking.

dixieflatline
9th Jan 2009, 01:30
Uplink is actually a vary simple game to make when you think about it. There is no 3d engine involved. I think it would be cool to see a hybrid between Uplink and Deus Ex 1.

It would be the damnest cool thing ever to have a Uplink-deep hacking part of the game. But I think it is save to say, at the very least, something like that would take at least one full-time employee's complete attention.

I think it be worth it, personally. But just call it a gut instinct: I don't think the development team would think that the feature would be important (and enjoyed enough) to warrant that amount of resources being allocated just on the hacking aspect of the game.

I really see DX3 being more action heavy. The prevalent notion in big studio game design is too keep things simple and not introduce any significant changes to accepted formulas. This is at least what I believe, from all the time I spend reading and playing games. They have too much money on the line to allow for much [perceived] risk in design.

I would bet money on the design team thinking that making such a big hacking portion of the game would not be worthwhile for them.

I'd love to be proved wrong , and / or hear other points of view of course. But the current trends in gaming are towards simplicity and safe bets. The hacking is going to be basic in order not to turn people off -- I think this is a flawed notion, and that the gaming public would appreciate more depth to games if they were offered it, but I do think that is what the game dev's would be saying, if I could be a fly on the wall in one of the early internal design chats they had. If not the game dev's, then the money-men paying the game dev's salaries.

dixieflatline
9th Jan 2009, 01:32
Has anyone seen the game uplink? I think if dues ex could do something like that but on a much more basic level since that game was based just on hacking.

Someone obviously prefers posting to reading :)

Jimmy Rabbitte
9th Jan 2009, 06:42
I hope there's some cryptography aspect to hacking in dx3. Hacking was by far the best skill in DX but it was way too easy.

Uplink is awesome