PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

amk84
2nd Jan 2009, 10:39
I wonder if deus ex 3 is going to be compatible with windows 7. At moment there is "not-official" beta of this system but it has very good references, and it propably will be available in summer .

J.CDenton
2nd Jan 2009, 11:43
I don't expect the game to have a "Windows Se7en compatible" mark on it but I'm sure it'll run on it. Well if the OS is not full of bugs...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Jan 2009, 11:51
Yeah, its bound to have bugs initially. I prefer to wait at least 1 year after release before I would consider an install. ;)

Call me paranoid, hehe. :whistle: :D

J.CDenton
2nd Jan 2009, 11:56
Microsoft plans to release a new OS every two years lol. Vista hasn't had the time to become a real standard (XP is still in the run) and Se7en will never have the time to be used efficiently. Yay for Bigsoft, our computer are going to get crazy.

Maybe Skynet became made because Microsoft eleased too much OS some times ago...

Larington
2nd Jan 2009, 12:45
To add to that, I'm actually skipping Vista completely. I'm going to wait 'til windows 7 has had a year/year-and-a-half and then bypass visti completely. Mostly because I took issue with the Direct X 10 foibles that Microsoft tried to foist on the early adopters even though all of the fancy features could be enabled in XP anyway via backdoor APIs or DLLs or whatever (Or so I've been told).
I can be contrary like that when I feel like it.

And hopefully this time they won't screw people around with device driver issues, nor the companies that produce the drivers for that matter, I heard Creative Labs got into trouble for failing to release Vista device drivers for a sound card, then sued someone who decided to do it on their behalf, all because they wanted to try and encourage sales of the next edition of said sound card, or at least thats how the theory goes.

NK007
2nd Jan 2009, 16:43
I would like to see the hacking in DX 3 done always on a Vista operated computer, and the hacking always fails because the system crashes. In fact, I want the new "dark age" ending to happen because we installed Vista in all the Area 50 computers.

J.CDenton
2nd Jan 2009, 16:46
Appart from DX 10 Vista didn't bring that much for games. And only a few games today uses DX 10, they're still using DirectX 9 which stills provides great graphics. Age of Conan for example was supposed to use it but the DX 10 patch is still in the making. Even DX3 will maybe not allow the use of Direct X 10. We recently received the directX 10.1 version and now we're already speaking about DirectX 11. I think that Microsoft is going too much fast with DIrect X and its OS and should calm down a bit.

gamer0004
2nd Jan 2009, 18:52
I think that Microsoft is going too much fast with its OS and should calm down a bit.

Where do you get that from? Windows 95, 98, 2000, and XP were released within 8 years. That's roughly 1 every 2 years. It just took a while for Vista to arrive. And then it sucked. But Windows 7 will probably be a lot better.

SemiAnonymous
2nd Jan 2009, 19:15
Speaking from experience, Windows 7 is muuuuch better than vista, In practically every way. Makes Vista look like a joke. For those of you planning to skip vista, you've got the right idea. 7 is outstanding, and its still just a beta.
Anyways, considering how everything that was compatible on vista (which is about 98% of everything that was compatible on XP) is compatible with 7, I'd say there is literally no reason why it wouldn't work.

Laokin
2nd Jan 2009, 19:37
Where do you get that from? Windows 95, 98, 2000, and XP were released within 8 years. That's roughly 1 every 2 years. It just took a while for Vista to arrive. And then it sucked. But Windows 7 will probably be a lot better.

Windows 98 is just an update to 95. You left out ME which was the update for 98SE. Either way these weren't different operating systems, they were just patches. This was before Service packs f.y.i.

Further more, Windows 7 isn't a new windows. It's vista, but not phail. Has anyone seen it? It's essentially a real service pack except they are gonna charge everyone full price for it again since vista sold so terribly.

P.S.

I use vista, I never had a crash, a bluescreen, a device driver issue (using soundblaster live! also, the drivers are in vista). No problems with my printers or my N52, or my camera's or anything. I also get great frames in all games that I play. Don't even have issues playing dos games like DukeNuke3d. For the life of me I cannot understand what the vista hate train is all about.

The only thing that should be noted is this, It's basically the next gen OS as a result it uses more resources. This is EXPECTED, it's bigger and does more stuff, so you need more ram to compensate.

E8500 4gb of ram 9800gx2 = smooth vista experience.

Quit QQing.

Blade_hunter
2nd Jan 2009, 20:20
I don't know why this kind of thread is here, because if the game will be made for PC it would work in windows seven like in vista, windows seven is a minor release of windows, it's based on vista, but the windows after seven would be an other generation and this future release can be incompatible with many softwares like windows 2000 on its time

The big windows logo in games would say nothing, and why a new game can't work in windows vista ?
They work because they are designed to work in.
I think there is no reason to make a new game incompatible with a new OS, it's like I want to make a new game that works only with an old console.
like I want to make a PS2 game but it can't work with the PS3; this doesn't make any sense.

If a game producer wants to make a game in now days, it would be compatible with XP, Vista and Seven ...

There is more chances to never see this game under linux OS or Mac than any modern Windows platform ...

J.CDenton
2nd Jan 2009, 21:04
Speaking from experience, Windows 7 is muuuuch better than vista, In practically every way. Makes Vista look like a joke. For those of you planning to skip vista, you've got the right idea. 7 is outstanding, and its still just a beta.
Anyways, considering how everything that was compatible on vista (which is about 98% of everything that was compatible on XP) is compatible with 7, I'd say there is literally no reason why it wouldn't work.

So you tried the Preview Version from October? Or did you get some BETA version from Microsoft?

SemiAnonymous
2nd Jan 2009, 22:00
So you tried the Preview Version from October? Or did you get some BETA version from Microsoft?

My friend got the beta, build 7000 (leaked about 5 days ago, and he went for it. Er, I mean, he got it completely legit from his dads cousins friends fiance who works for Microsoft:nut: ). I promptly went to his house, and tried the beta. I quite liked it, and considering how I only had one non-critical problem the whole time (the wireless kicked off for about 10 minutes on the laptop, we couldn't figure out why) I'd say its a pretty decent OS

J.CDenton
2nd Jan 2009, 22:08
Sooooooooooo there some Windows Seven to try actually? The Build 7000 with the Seven toolbar iside, huh?

I'm gonna give it a try! Where did I put my ICE Breaker?

Romeo
2nd Jan 2009, 22:28
Yeah, its bound to have bugs initially. I prefer to wait at least 1 year after release before I would consider an install. ;)

Call me paranoid, hehe. :whistle: :D
You're paranoid.

And I doubt it will be made to take advantage of Windows 7. Bare in mind that the game has been in devellopment for quite some time now, is not an official affiliate of Microsoft and the fact that Windows is still focusing on Vista for the time being. It would be ridiculous for them to wait and put it out on an unofficial beta of a program that wont be released for quite some time yet. However, as someone above me said, no doubt 7 will be backwards compatible with other Windows programs, meaning the game should still run fine on it once 7 eventually does see it's release.

Larington
2nd Jan 2009, 22:29
The reason I've chosen to stay clear of Vista is because it is more or less a rebuild from scratch (As I understand it) and that I knew that in 2/3 years it would be superceded by an improved and rebranded iteration of Vista. So basically, its sort of like waiting to upgrade to XP until service pack 1 is out, only taking that principle much much further.
And I didn't want to upgrade to Vista because frankly, I've never felt the need to and it doesn't matter how much money MSoft spends on marketting, they aren't going to convince me otherwise. Alternatively, why pay for Vista when XP is suiting my needs very nicely as it is.

SemiAnonymous
2nd Jan 2009, 22:29
Sooooooooooo there some Windows Seven to try actually? The Build 7000 with the Seven toolbar iside, huh?

I'm gonna give it a try! Where did I put my ICE Breaker?

go for it:thumb:
I'm holding out until I get my laptop back, I'm gonna completely remove vista and toss the beta on.

On Topic: yes it will work on 7

Jerion
2nd Jan 2009, 22:30
Meh.

Romeo
2nd Jan 2009, 22:37
Wow, Kieranator, really? 17 posts in and you have to say is "meh"? That's brutal. lol

Psychomorph
3rd Jan 2009, 00:04
I am also thinking about to use my current XP on a new machine (buying without OS) and to switch to Win7 when ready.

MaxxQ1
3rd Jan 2009, 00:58
...why pay for Vista when XP is suiting my needs very nicely as it is.

^^^This is all that needs to be said on the subject.^^^

Jerion
3rd Jan 2009, 01:25
Wow, Kieranator, really? 17 posts in and you have to say is "meh"? That's brutal. lol

It accurately describes my feelings on the subject. I only use windows for games anyway- so as far as that goes XP suits me fine. I'm going to upgrade from XP to Win 7 when it comes out for DirectX 10/11 support, but aside from that I could really care less about it. I use Windows for gaming, and OS X for everything else.

^^^This is all that needs to be said on the subject.^^^

Pretty much. XP might be outdated, but it's superior to Vista, IMO. And by Superior, I mean that I didn't have to pay for it. (hooray for my roommate having an extra XP Pro SP2 CD lying around).

J.CDenton
3rd Jan 2009, 10:55
go for it:thumb:
I'm holding out until I get my laptop back, I'm gonna completely remove vista and toss the beta on.

On Topic: yes it will work on 7

Yay thanks, I'll post on the board my thoughts about Seven. Once I've found a way to activate the OS and not to have it limited to a 30 Days only trial. :)

Abram730
3rd Jan 2009, 11:20
To add to that, I'm actually skipping Vista completely. I'm going to wait 'til windows 7 has had a year/year-and-a-half and then bypass visti completely. Mostly because I took issue with the Direct X 10 foibles that Microsoft tried to foist on the early adopters even though all of the fancy features could be enabled in XP anyway via backdoor APIs or DLLs or whatever (Or so I've been told).
I can be contrary like that when I feel like it.

And hopefully this time they won't screw people around with device driver issues, nor the companies that produce the drivers for that matter, I heard Creative Labs got into trouble for failing to release Vista device drivers for a sound card, then sued someone who decided to do it on their behalf, all because they wanted to try and encourage sales of the next edition of said sound card, or at least thats how the theory goes.

Actually the sound is my biggest gripes with Windows Vista. I was pissed that the Hardware Abstraction Layer was removed. If you pay money for a hardware sound card, it sucks when that is taken away and you end up paying to get screwed. The only way to get hardware sound in Vista is with OpenAL. The way I heard it, it was that the change was implemented 2 to 3 months before release. So creative didn't have much time to write new drivers from scratch and not like they were ever good at drivers to begin with. The drivers they needed to write were to emulate what there card did in hardware in software(basically like you had no soundblaster card)... spdif outputted to good of a sound signal and it was removed.. I'm not sure of it's status now. I will add that implementing Microsoft's money making scheme wasn't all that easy for graphics card makers... Slowing down their cards to make Microsoft more money probably wasn't enjoyable for them. All the man hours spent to benefit Microsoft's bottom line.

Here is a paper on Vista DRM
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

So basicly Vista's DRM "protects" users from high definition media and was the problem with drivers..

here is a real world example
http://davisfreeberg.com/2008/01/03/bad-copp-no-netflix/

"Vista continuously spends CPU time monitoring itself, trying to figure out if you're doing something that it thinks you shouldn't."

Games
requiterments : 2gb(4gb Windows Vista)

XP is also faster for games.
I find Vista to be one bloated hog of an OS.. sometimes it takes a full 3 seconds for a letter I press on my keyboard to show up on the screen and that's on an e6600 core 2 with 2gb of ram.

K^2
3rd Jan 2009, 21:43
There was a hacker that managed to make his own drivers for Creative to run under Vista. Creative sued him. So 1) It's not like Creative couldn't make these drivers, obviously. And 2) not only didn't they try, but they also stopped other people from making them work.

Creative is the one that dropped the ball there. No excuses can be made for them.

Romeo
4th Jan 2009, 01:49
Never heard about that. And yes, Vista goes through RAM. Which is why you open up the taskbar and close that DWM.exe file, which you'll find frees up over half the RAM in most cases. Something must be wrong with your computer if it takes 3 seconds for a key to show up, as I'm using a fairly basic computer and I can easily run Fallout 3 with medium graphics, letter-typing and all.

Abram730
5th Jan 2009, 05:26
There was a hacker that managed to make his own drivers for Creative to run under Vista. Creative sued him. So 1) It's not like Creative couldn't make these drivers, obviously. And 2) not only didn't they try, but they also stopped other people from making them work.

Creative is the one that dropped the ball there. No excuses can be made for them.

But would Creative get sued by Microsoft for making them? Didn't the drivers violate Microsoft's DRM, by outputting a high quality non encrypted signal(spdif)? I don't know what if any legally binding obligations Creative has with Microsoft.

Spiffmeister
5th Jan 2009, 09:51
Hopefully Windows 7 will have compatibility built in for everything, that way it wont be a "does this program work?" nightmare like vista was.

ChouxFleur
5th Jan 2009, 11:37
I cant believe microsoft putting that kind of stuff. It just makes me want to download more pirated movie

Tracer Tong
5th Jan 2009, 20:45
I cant believe microsoft putting that kind of stuff. It just makes me want to download more pirated movie

lol @ post

MaxxQ1
9th Jan 2009, 15:19
...and in other news:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

I hope that posted right